8.4

1. Aug 13, 2012
    The final installment in Christopher Nolan's trilogy of Batman movies has a lot of things going for it. The usage of practical effects, the entertaining performances from Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy, and the sometimes brilliant action sequences (particularly in the film's opening) can be exhilarating. However, the whole affair feels like a cobbled together mess with a script that never feels like it progressed beyond its first initial rough draft. The sound mixing is extremely wonky, the pacing is all over the place, and the story has way too many plot holes for the supposedly "realistic" world that Nolan is presenting. That's not to say the other films didn't, but the previous installments weren't heavily burdened with the hammy dialogue, inconsistent characters, and the hokey undeserved ending this movie had. Ultimately, this opinion is in the minority and people really seem to like this movie. That's great for them. But it in the opinion of this reviewer that the franchise deserved and needed a far better conclusion than this highly disappointing third act to an otherwise great series of movies. Expand
  2. Aug 10, 2012
    Wannabe, wanna be, therefore it is. Let's face it: Dark Knight was good, a very good film, but frankly it was almost exclusively that good, because it was a sort of adaptation of Alan Moore's "Killing Joke" and because, despite the hysteria of Heath Ledger's dramatic and unfortunate death, The Joker was a great one, a master villain. I will not compare it with Jack Nicholson's because that one was exceptional. Ledger's was very good, almost excellent. The residual memory emerges from this point; people want "The Dark Knight Rises" to be a sequel of that excellency, as I did, as Nolan forced us to believe so... as some kind of religious belief keeping us blindly seeing the way it was supposed to be, but it wasn't. It wasn't indeed, as the first of Nolan's trilogy it was a disbelief and a mime of the second. Without a matured anti-hero, this Batman collapses.

Somewhere somehow if not already at the plane, I started to feel I was being fooled by the Hollywood machine, again and again; my "want it to be as so" was there no more, vanishing, while I gradually started to notice the annoying, repeating and exaggerated soundtrack pushing me for a critical pause. Hans Zimmer made me seriously question about everything in this movie, existentially, if indeed I was facing the terrifying possibility of seeing another 2 hours of hollowed clichés noised by a syrupy music... another disappointment to add. You name it, Star Wars, Prometheus, Conan... I tried, I really did, I even said to myself to take it easy at my criticism and expectation, but there was no emotion to attach with, instead the music was continuously persisting in forcing the spectator to delude himself that indeed there was, like a crazy frantic miraged dance going to nowhere subliming the emptiness.

Simply put, the narrative didn't allow me to empathize with the characters, all of it was forced like an hyperactive quest to push the audience for an illusion of a final master piece, an idea that would be preferable not to be discarded, like a comfortable thought as nice as a wall separating the movie from the spectator. We were comfortably eating popcorns nicely throwing the bags to the floor.

I didn't like Bate's Bat forced voice, I don't like his costume, I haven't felt jubilated when he arose from the ashes, I kept wondering about Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns": what a pale reflex this film was revealing itself, bad omen I was getting bored, I wondered about the time of the intermezzo that would never come. I felt myself observing a hysterical sequence of forced dramatic situations, not realism, not Bat's Gothic existentialism. There was no voyeurism, there was no personal attachment, there was no time to feel emotionally connected... there was right in front of your nose... another banal Hollywood film using a Batman's stamp, a "Bruce Wayne's" costume fairy tail.

You have to be given compassed storyline hidden behind a door's hole, like preparing for the battle tasting a good cup of old wine expecting the confronting dilemma of mirroring yourself, like Alan Moore's and Frank Miller's Batman art of questioning... not this artificial and plastic speaking dolls acting for a spoiled audience, for statistics and budget and major gross openings! Michael Caine, I would punch your nose, how could you let this happen?

Everyone speaks about Bale's voice... heck with it! But of course it's strange, but of course, you just have to wonder you are a human being deprived from your childhood, although a noble guardian of a child's innocence... his own lost one... no? Great potential, great inner thought, great professional and passionate commitment and study, Tom Hardy's personification... but not properly explored by his director. You weren't given time or you weren't properly presented to his drama simply put. It was illustrated as just another sketched brute villain, with an Ah...! here he is, surpassed by the next one, Ah... here he is no more... and after a Oh...! a magical ethereal Batman is again, with his darn forced bad ass voice, right from the canonic pit of the survivors to smack the forces of evil.

I won't spoil the storytelling although I was spoiled by this film's lack of depth rich of busted expectations. Like every popcorn movie, this one innovates itself... it's Gothic an it has wings; obviously satisfies one's expectation behaving as just as commonly as a epidermic chain of pretentious tragic sensations, clichés, totally predicted and totally comfortable. And don't tell me this is just a comic movie, don't be so intellectual you say... Oh yes? Don't throw me that load of crap, because Nolan wanted this trilogy to surpass the previous ones using as trump two of the most darker comic book authors: Alan Moore and Frank Miller. If anything was to be expected, it was fulfilling expectations!
  3. Aug 6, 2012
    How The Dark Knight Rises got away with such generous reviews is a bit of a mystery to me. Well not really, I suppose when fans put so much pressure on critics as to send them death threats it kinda has an influence on them. Not to mention the giant hype behind the movie, yes I guess everything adds up. Everything except for a small detail: the movie is just garbage. Yes the movie does look great in IMAX, but again so did Transformers 3, that doesn't make a movie good by itself, you need more than that. Where's the interesting plot? Bad guys come make Gotham explode, THAT's the best they could come up with? Hmm ok, well at least the pacing must be good right? Nope, the thing lasts for 2 hours and 40 mins, with lots of time wasted on pointless exposition and not enough well, actually getting the movie going. OK ok, yes this is not so great but the characters have to be really good I'm sure. Yeah well guess what since almost every character from the previous films ended up dead, we have to start all over with new ones, which means we don't get to know them, and we waste precious time introducing them, and even then they're that great to begin with. Bane is incredibly bland and is basically just a glorified body guard, Selina Kyle is a lot of fun but totally unnecessary (you could easily write her out of the film with almost no change), and Miranda Tate just comes way too late into the trilogy to have any chance of being memorable. The only new character that was well developed is Blake, but then again so much time is dedicated to him instead of, well friggin Batman... you know the thing you actually go see a Batman movie for. And to add insult to injury, Nolan takes his audience for absolute idiots, with a script that is filled with inconsistencies and contradictions; scenes would start in daylight and then it's night 2 seconds later, characters would get mortally wounded only to be fine few minutes later magically (for a trilogy that prides itself in blending realism with comic books that's just inexcusable), and so on and so forth for the entire movie. This movie is a let down plain and simple, I knew it could never be as great as The Dark Knight, but I sure wasn't prepare for it to be this awful. Expand
  4. Aug 6, 2012
    The dark Night rises was not worth the watch the lighting of my wallet was considerably noticeable after this film. Bruce Wayne does not lose cartilage, he doesn't allow a maid to rob him blind unnoticed and he certainly doesn't get thrown in a hole. Poor movie expected more the fact that there was only one point in the movie that actually caught me off guard means the dark night rises should have stayed in bed. Expected more. Expand
  5. Aug 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is about 50 minutes too long. My mind drifted during the long, cliche exposition. But the real fatal flaw is that Nolan takes all the magic out of Batman. Gone is the atmospheric Gotham, replaced by a shiny, normal, everyday modern city. Did you like the Bane story from the comics? It doesn't exist. Bane is a average terrorist. Gone is the Venom (NO VENOM?!?). The break out of all of Batman's former nemesis from Arkham Asylum doesn't happen. He just releases some regular prison inmates. The Bane story is one of my favorite stories in the Batman universe. I was totally disappointed with this film after imagining how cool it would be when Arkham fell and Bane pumped up with venom. Nolan shouldn't use the Batman name if he is going to ignore what Batman is all about.
    If you compare this film to the Avengers, a great superhero movie from this summer, that stayed true to the comics and had great dialog and special effects, you can imagine how cool Batman could have been, and just how far Nolan took Batman down.
    I just pray he doesn't destroy all the fun and "hero" aspect of Superman, but I am very worried.
  6. Aug 4, 2012
    Absolutely hated it. I know the batfans are going to disagree and click no on my review. But it's my opinion and i didn't like it. Which is weird because i loved the dark knight
  7. Aug 4, 2012
    Completely empty and meaningless. If you are a sheep, go to this movie. Otherwise, almost any movie in any theatre will be better than this one. Awful.
  8. Aug 3, 2012
    I felt compelled to write this review because of the overall positive score this piece of cr.. received. I had some issues with the two previous Batman movies, like the absence of the gothic ambiance - you can pound us endlessly with the claim that the scene is Gotham, but I can still tell it is New York, or poor action scene and the fact that in combat Batman looks like an ordinary bar fighter - hey this is a marshal arts master pushing the human limits of speed, quickness, strength, and agility, and in these movies he looks kind of slow. In this latest movie, for moments I though I was watching Rocky 6 or something. They were exchanging concrete shattering blows endlessly. is that supposed to be an action scene in a modern time action movie. But those are just lighthearted objections. Here comes the heavy stuff. This movies is soooo stupid, it may well have the dumbest and most inconsistent plot I have ever seen. From the little details to the overall plot line it reeks mind boggling thickness. And.... and it is 164 minutes long. Those were the most painful 164 minutes of my movie watching life. I see some people here are careful not to give out any spoilers. Here's a spoiler for you, give this movie the widest possible berth you can imagine, and spread the word before it's too late, and too many people are violated by this weapon of mass brain cell destruction. Expand
  9. Aug 1, 2012
    Unaccomplished, badly fragmented, often ridiculous, blatantly fascist. At least, Bane is cool. For the rest, Nolan shows himself, in my humble opinion, as one of the most overrated director-writers of these times. The overall story, if managed better - both in terms of screenplay and direction - had the basis to deliver a powerful movie. But Nolan fails on almost every aspect. He clearly knows the importance of drama, but lacks the ability to convey it, and every dramatic scene turns out to be either ridiculous or bland, a thing which gives the final blow to a lazy plot with more holes and failed pretentiousness than a badly designed mini-golf course. Batman himself, especially in the fighting scenes, is a clown that moves with the speed of a snail, and talks with a totally laughable old-style horror-tunnel voice.
    At least, as I mentioned, Tom Hardy is a very expressive and impressive Bane, while Gary Oldman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Anne Hathaway deliver a good performance. The rest, acting included, is pure boredom.
  10. Jul 31, 2012
    I miss the old Joel Schumacher films... at least the plot made sense and the villains had any real motivation. The only thing that was half good on this was Anne Hathaway.
  11. Jul 30, 2012
    The film was an absolute disappointment for me. The action was taking place in a very narrow space. The editing was really awful. There were countless meaningless happenings. Like taking blood from the man in the plane. Then the blood wasn't even used. Casting was not good. The city fight scene was meaningless. Why didn't they use the guns but tried to ram instead?
    No adrenalin. Not
    enough action. Lots of unanaswered questions. Why was the truck in the move? No logical answer. Lots of questions like this one.
    Generally talking the worst of the trilogy.
  12. Jul 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS! I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises last night. Wow, what a disappointment. Chris Nolan needs to come up with a better plot. He used the same one for all three movies. Build up the character, knock him down, build him back up. After this movie, they can never make another Batman without starting all over again. Do you REALLY want to see Batman's origin again? Also, why is it that so many people figured out who Batman was so easily? They could have have had the same movie without that. Also, Bane. First his voice was poorly dubbed. No matter where he was what kind of room he was in his voice sounded the same. It sounded like it was pasted in. Why is it that Bane could break granite with his fists, but not cave in Batman's face? On Batman himself: why is it he could break rock with his FOOT just because he was wearing a automated knee brace? On SPOILER: Robin. I figured out who the young cop was right away. Again, even he figured out who Batman was, who didn't know? Not only was the whole nuclear bomb plot cut and paste, but poor. He takes the bomb over the ocean, and he's a hero? So much for radiation poisoning in the ENTIRE OCEAN! As soon as Alfred told Bruce the story about finding him Italy living his life you KNEW right then how the movie was going to end. When I heard that Anne Hathaway was playing Catwoman, I was like: "she weights 110 lbs and looks like she couldn't hurt a fly." But she pulled it off. She was the best part of the movie. Bruce being crippled was again, giving an early end to the character. He's supposed to be better than a normal person. Also, him "breaking" his back and FIXING it in prison was the laziest/crappiest part of the whole movie. Batman has an incredible line of characters (heroes, villains, and regular people in all of comicdom not sure why that just had to pin the entire series on Ra's Al Ghul.''

This movie felt unnecessarily big, over produced and rushed. It felt like an afterthought and a contract obligation by Nolan. I wanted to love this movie, but I can just says it's okay. I mean stop pandering to the lowest common denominator and write a smart movie. 2 out of 5 stars.
  13. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Things I didn't like about this movie: ------------------------------------------------------- - The plot never seems to get traction. When you expect something smart, figurative, and metaphorical (like the brilliant Batman Begins) in the end its just a plain old "there's a bomb!" plot with nameless thugs running around. - Bane's character is not developed at all. Nor does his ramblings have an intellectual basis to make him interesting. The dubbed voice over for him was so much louder than the normal track it sounded fake. The overacted scottish accent was horrible. This is kind of sad because Batman comics are praised for the complex villians. Bane had no personality at all and you had no appreciation for his mission or thought process. - Batman is cool because he has gadgets, does awesome detective work in the batcave, invents things, outwits enemies, drives the batmobile, connects the dots where others cannot etc. and wins hand to hand fights. Sadly, none of those traits are portrayed in this movie. The seminal point in the movie where batman actually returns on the scene is a confusing sequence where it seems that he chases the badguys off and they get away. He's then sort of scolded for scaring them off by the police. Huh? Wtf? That's not the Batman we want to see.... - Fox's character is largely ignored in this movie. A shame. They could have done something interesting with him. - Catwoman had great potential to be interesting but they only scratched the surface with her and she had no integral purpose. - Much of the plot mirrors events in Batman Begins (the best of the 3). Batman is hurt, he is thrown in prison. League of Shadows is behind the turmoil and Wayne enterprises has another bad ceo. Batman overcomes his imprisonment, trains to magically heal his serious injuries, etc. - The dialogue between characters is mostly related to "this and that" such as "we have to stop him", "I'm on it!" etc. and nothing deep, revealing or interesting to hear. Sounds bad, and sadly it is. - There is a pointless "police march" that goes no where because the script meanders off elsewhere. - For some reason, people "just know" Bruce Wayne is Batman. Unfortunately, this revelation is just crammed into the script because the script needs it, not because events actually lead to it. - The "Inception" like ending is good cause for debate but also copied from Inception. - The fight scenes were a joke. Batman and Bane just whiffing at one another. Batman is a martial arts expert who can defeat many enemies at once. He also has cool gadgets to evade and surprise bad guys. None of that appears here. Let me be clear. Batman is a SUPERHERO. Not some average joe in a unitard. - Like Prometheus, the music was too loud, everpresent and contextually unrelated. - It was too long. Mostly for the above reasons. - Too much everyone else. Not enough BATMAN!! I mean c'mon!!! We hardly got to see batman at all....seriously. - Why is this movie called Dark Knight Rises? Ok, he quit and came back, then quit or died again. The title seems misplaced or redundant to the other movies. "Batman Begins", "Dark Knight Rises", sorta means the same thing with different words. Things I liked about this movie: ------------------------------------------------------ - Bat plane - Catwoman, although they didn't show her true abilities (9 lives, etc.) Expand
  14. Jul 29, 2012
    As someone who adores Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I had high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises. Unfortunately, I found it very disappointing for several reasons. For one, Tom Hardy's Bane is largely inaudible throughout. Also, if I'm being honest, I think his voice sounds a bit camp at times too. He's a great actor and capable of playing brooding, menacing characters well (see Bronson if you don't believe me!), which makes his performance in TDKR all the more disappointing and frustrating in equal measure.
    Secondly, this film is loaded with plot holes. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have a fair few, but nowhere near as many as this one does. Furthermore, Hans Zimmer's score is incredibly irritating - it seems to be playing in the background of almost every scene and is increasingly distracting. Bane and Batman's one-on-one fights look, and feel, as if they have been choreographed by wrestlers from WWE. They lack any intensity or suspense. TDKR moves at such an unforgiving pace that it's hard to absorb everything that happens. Ultimately, as a result of this, the film lacks any emotional depth. We don't feel for Bruce Wayne here in the same way we do for him in BB or TDK.
    Fortunately though, it isn't all bad. Anne Hathaway plays the role of Selina Kyle well enough, conveying a sense of playful mischief, and Michael Caine is excellent as Alfred.
    But, I had been waiting years for this film and had been expecting an entertaining and enthralling conclusion to Chris Nolan's Batman trilogy, but left the movie theatre feeling exhausted and dejected by its failings.
  15. Jul 29, 2012
    Most film trilogies have the same problem: the last film puts too much focus on concluding the series, and as a result, they are often inferrior to their predecessors. The Dark Knight Rises has absolutely none of the elements that make Batman films so much fun to watch. There are not enough action scenes to keep you interested, and the characters have some of the most awkward voices ever. Batman sounds like he has throat cancer, Bane sounds like an old man and Bruce Wayne sounds like a redneck. Catwoman is the only character I enjoyed watching.

The story is very bland, even by Batman standards. It's your typical "villian puts town in danger and the hero must stop him" story, but with a rather odd twist that just drags things on even more. The rarity of action scenes, "dramatic" moments that lack any real drama, and painfully slow pacing make this the worst Batman film since Batman & Robin.
  16. Jul 29, 2012
    Self-indulgent. Don't get me wrong, there was many solid ideas and well filmed sequences just about as badly executed as a student film with a giant budget. The middle 90 minutes is basicly... the bad guy is bad, he is really bad, he is really, really bad... and so it goes for 90 minutes. I saw people sleeping in the theater. Rent it, see the first 30 minutes and the last 2 minutes. Everything else is the director's ego on the screen and his inability to edit. Can you say Matrix 3? Expand
  17. Jul 29, 2012
    One word: boring. From the numerous plot holes and head-scratchers to Catwoman's tedious and bland acting to the predictable and samey dialog; This is a pathetic ending to the Batman trilogy. I did walk out on this movie, about 3/4's of the way through. Was falling asleep in my seat. My largest gripe is the bad writing. Things happen by accident. One of the characters HAPPENS to stumble on the operations of the biggest bad in Gotham being kept secret for months / years. The Big Bad HAPPENS to know where the treasure vault is, when ostensibly no one know where it is, etc, etc. Relying on coincidence, always the hallmark of bad writing.

Secondly the plot and motivations for things done in the movie are largely incoherent. Why does Batman (of the movie), care one whit for this two dimensional cut out of Catwoman and go out of his way to save her? Why is it understood that she is any use when it comes to finding the Big Bad at all, when she appears to be a low level pawn? Why is that stupid stunt done with the airplane (see your trailer) when it's not even clear the "snatch and grab" that takes place is even needed? All in all, the movie play's more like a bad video game tie in than anything: All the set pieces (i.e. fight scenes or big stupid explosions) are planned out in advance and the plot is stitched together to "make it work".

There were some pretty clumsy and stupid jabs at "the rich" in the movie, which was just distracting and tedious. Yes guys, we get it: it's popular to bag on the rich. But if you're going to do it, at least do it competently. Batman, and to a lesser extent the city of Gotham itself, has been about this very subject. So I'm not sure why the "writer's" of this "fine film" would go out of their way to clumsily add non-canon whining and bad dialog, when you already have canon content that does the job quite well.

Weirdly I liked the side-characters more than what the writer's had the main character's doing all movie. The one cop who's in the batman fan club from word "Go" (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) that they spend an inordinate amount of time characterizing does a VERY good job and is more likeable than Bale as Batman. I *assume* they kill him off at some point to get a stupid tug at the heart strings. But I was expecting him to be the new Robin there for a bit.

There was good acting to be sure, just not Cat Woman. There is TONS of source material for each of the characters in the Batman universe, including Cat Woman. Cat Woman is normally portrayed (in the comics), as a more complex character than that "thing" that we had the misfortune of seeing Ms. Hathaway clumsily paw her way through.

I did like the music, if overdone at times ("Yes, we get it guys, beating drums make things more exciting").

One thing I thought was ironic as a good many of the character's in the film do or say things that indicate their strong belief that the concept of Batman itself is tired, outdated and unnecessary. A weird message for the movie ABOUT the Batman to have. And they actually bring up some cogent points! Unfortunately the bad writing they give Bale gives no indication of maturation, a good reason for him being the Batman or even an indication that he's thrill seeking or attempting to recapture lost glories. Which they out and out accuse him of at multiple points within the movie itself!

If you're going to beat the audience over the head with a "motivation" of the main character, at least have the main character himself attempt to express that motivation!
  18. JYT
    Jul 29, 2012
    A really poor scenario and even Michael Caine mess up his character. A least the movie is long so it is better value for money than another movie. If you compare movies where people are locked up and try to escape, Midnight Express would problably score 3 times more than this one. So the score can't be greater than 3.
  19. Jul 28, 2012
    Ultimately the problem with the movie is the plot makes no sense at all. As I'm endeavoring to not give away anything, so I'm going to be intentionally vague. There is no logical explanation for the actions of the villains in this movie. Nothing to justify why they are doing what they are doing, and even if you work past that and accept that they just are, what they end up doing doesn't even make sense in the context of their stated goals. Unlike the insane, but methodical plans of the Joker in the second movie, the bad guys in this are just plain insane, and yet they play it far more straight-faced than the aforementioned previous antagonist did.
    The next problem is the action. The whole "comic book movie" excuse that gets banded around so often can really only make up for so much. The core of the issue is that in Nolan's Batman universe, bullets seem to be more precious than diamonds. For some reason this did not feel quite as obvious in the previous two installments as it did in this one. Every action scene has mooks running up to Batman or other characters with guns in their hands to be easily disarmed. The frequency with which this happens in staggering. Barely anyone ever fires their guns throughout the movie and when they do, they make Stormtroopers look accurate. This culminates in a massive all out battle in which literally thousands of people suddenly forget the deadly projectile launching devices more or less all of them are holding and start laying into each other with whatever is available on hand. The sheer absurdity of the scene makes it impossible to ignore the issue even if you'd intentionally not payed attention everyone running up to martial arts specialists to be easily disarmed up to that point. All of this casts an absurd, practically silly light on the action that really detracts from the movies tone.
    Next problem: Exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition...you can see where I'm going with this. A character enters a plot important room and they start spouting exposition about it to people who quite obviously and unmistakable already have this knowledge beforehand, and nobody questions why they are being told something they already know. The sheer volume of exposition in this movie pushes the already ridiculous runtime past the point of tolerance.
    Honestly, I feel tired of this movie. I felt tired of it by the time it finally ended on it's awful cop-out ending, I felt tired thinking of all the things that really did not work in it, and I feel tired listing them here. I'm sorry, it just really isn't a good movie on almost any level, which is a crying shame seeing as it's predecessor is one of my personal favorites.
  20. Jul 26, 2012
    Wow, I really wasn't expecting this. After all the hype, after knowing it was going to be the last batman movie made by Nolan, the movie just couldnt deliver, at all. And srsly I wanted to like it, I really tried, but after some horrible scenes and dialogues I couldn't lie to myself anymore.

I can't understand how this movie is getting such high reviews and by so many people... It
    makes no sense. The movie was a plotless mess with too much wasted budget. They didn't know what to do with so much money and decided to make up a load of random crap to fill in.

From beginning to end, there was nothing to like. The annoying conversations with Alfred, the horrible plot twists, the useless police march at the end (why not just drop a bomb in the middle of it?), the everlasting Morgan Freeman (always the same role and acting), Anne Hathaway (horrible choice for catwoman), the lame speech at the stadium, the over the top loud music, but above everything, the was no plot or story.

It worries me that so many people are loving it. This proves that anyone can produce a successful movie as long as there is huge hype, budget and fanboyism around it. People are going to love it either way.

Im not at all a hater, in fact I loved the second movie and TDKR was not even remotely close to it. I dont want to insult the people who liked this movie, but this was a very dumb movie, with too many plot holes ( e.g. Bruce leg problem magically healed in jail?) to mention all of them.

The good parts? I guess the explosion of the football stadium was cool. I walked out pissed and confused about why so few people disliked it.
  21. Jul 25, 2012
    The Dark knight Rises is too long for no reason (almost 3 hours long) There are some scenes where you feel the movie dragging on. It looks like the entire Gotham City was shot in the same 2 blocks of New York City... if it was shot in NYC at all. Plus Batman has become too soft. Wait for the DVD version... you won't be missing anything.
  22. Jul 24, 2012
    This movie is very average. The plot doesn't make logical sense, the movie lacks appearances from its star cast, and fight scenes are nothing more than 2 brutes swinging as hard as they can. The movie is rather a test to see how much fans love Christopher Nolan. It seems in their eyes he can do no wrong. He is the real world white knight and we will adore and overrate this film just because he made it no matter how many plot holes and liberties he took with this film. Expand
  23. Jul 24, 2012
    I had a much longer review, but metacritic wouldn't let me post it so I'll sum it up.

It has its moments, and the first half is better than the second half, but it is a mess and may very well be the weakest of the Trilogy.
  24. Jul 24, 2012
    The whole film was a letdown not only as a batman trio. but also as a nolan's film. No hard work was done in every department except the sound. The dialogues were so dumb unlike inception, memento, tdk. Twists in the film were forcefully injected into it & it all felt hopeless. One scene when the bane's past is revealed was a twist & really was the dumbest twist of all times. It was a main but cheap twist & made bane look like a weak character & completely made the movie to downfall. Before this scene the movie was better than tdk, only one scene changed the fate of this movie. The film looked like even, nolan didn't also wanna make it. He should do what he wants & not not the money thirsty producers (WB) Expand
  25. Jul 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was not a good Batman movie, especially trying to stand next to Begins or Dark Knight. There's a lot for me to dislike, but I'll try to hit the key points only. The pacing is rotten; actors speak without pausing between lines like they're reading from a script as quickly as possible, and plot points whiz by faster than you can appreciate most of the time as more and more is crammed into the already beefy two and a half hours. If things are slowed down to the point of understanding, you realize that the plot makes no sense. Bane (though not really Bane as it turns out) wants to blow up the city because...well, you find out eventually its because Ra's Al Ghul wanted to, but Bane himself (or his benefactor) really has no motivation aside from being a bad guy. Worse still, Bane and company seem to be suicide agents for some reason, planning on going up in smoke along with the rest of the city when the bomb goes off. The entire plot seems to be dedicated to showing Bane rip the city apart and having character shout Occupy Wall Street lines, all the while showing us how bad Socialism actually is. "Now its everyone's house!" Anyway, I think most of the problems stem from those key points: bad pacing, bad plot, confused social message. The actors are great (if rushed), and the segments with Anne Hathaway felt like an entirely different (better) movie. She plays a great Catwoman, and I wish I could have seen her doing so in a better Batman movie. The Batman vs Bane sewer fight is also excellent, and could be transplanted entirely to a better movie as well (the epilogue isn't too bad either, so you can leave on a comparatively high note). Everything else though, from silly plane kidnapping intro to nuclear race against time climax, is rushed and gaudy. One last funny thing I noticed: The Joker is never mentioned, even in passing or in regards to Dent. Dent is talked about; Scarecrow is cameoed; Ra's Al Ghul and the League of Shadows come up; never the Joker though, and he's technically alive in the Nolan-verse. Why? Personally, because I think Nolan and company recognized they weren't living up to the Dark Knight's quality, and they were trying to desperately avoid reminding the audience of that better movie. Don't say his name, and maybe everyone will forget. I'm not really sure, but if it was their way of dodging the challenge of living up to that movie, they failed miserably. Expand
  26. Jul 24, 2012
    I genuinely don't know where to start in describing how much of a let down this film was for me and my partner. The film was badly written, poorly delivered, bizarrely directed and disjointedly edited. The whole feel of the film is of a three part-er hacked down into a muddled trailer because of intellectually property issues or breached artiste/acting contracts. The film draws upon the phenomenally successful "Knight Fall" comic trilogy but then dumps all of its good points in favor of a PC "let's make sure we've covered all of the minority groups in the casting even if we need to jettison the key points"

Bane sounds like an infant shouting through a kazoo, Hathaway manages to make wearing a cat suit look awkward to the point of puritanical, Gary Oldman looks like he's auditioning to replace David Jason as Frost, and Batman does nothing but whine.

Michael Caine struggles with difficult dialogue but nevertheless has us rummaging through girlfriends handbags for tissues as Batman declines into obscurity and Gordon-Levitt has us screaming at the screen to ditch the whine-y old fart and (as Michael Caine in his Harry Palmer days might have said) "get in the bladdy suit!"

This is a film aching to be remade and remade better, which is a shame because everything was already available to Nolan to get it right the first time.
  27. Jul 23, 2012
    This should be added to the list of over hyped movies that sucked. It was not about batman, the movie was about cat woman and robin and a whole lot of useless characters. What a waste of time. Batman had 2 fist fights in the movie, that's all the action you get. He either runs away scared or gets his ass kicked. Watched batman begins and TDK and was really excited to watch this movie. But the movie just sucked..on par with Prometheus! I did not pay money to watch a sissy batman movie with no action. Period. Expand
  28. Jul 23, 2012
    Batman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superb acting. Tom Hardy as Bane is no Joker, but is a talented actor that is a good choice for Bane. Anne Hathaway surprised me with her great acting as Catwoman, Marion Cotillard was the memorable Miranda Tate, and Michael Caine and definitely Christian Bale have never been better in the franchise. The best new character for me was Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake, who gave a great performance. The story excelled at showing that Batman is human like us, not some Superman or Green Lantern, but a guy just like us, even if he has a bit more money. This is a great end to a great trilogy, and I think it outdoes Spider-Man and the Avengers for best superhero movie of the year. Expand
  29. Jul 23, 2012
    I don't know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan, he makes these great movies with awesome special effects, beautiful cinematography, and poignant dramatic moments and **** them up with convoluted plot twists, multiple story lines, and retiredly complicated scenarios. This movie could have been great, but it ended up being just ok. It was too long and too many things going on reminded me too much of inception. The ending was money, but it didn't make up for the rest of the movie being too long and boring, next time don't try to make 6 movies into one and it will be good. Expand
  30. Jul 23, 2012
    The Dark Knight is Risible.
    Almost every scene was either utter nonsense or so boring that it felt like my entire day was being swallowed up in this mire.
    A massive problem for me is Bane, not just that he's nothing like the comic-book character but his voice is even more comical than Batman's - he sounds exactly like the Narrator from Diablo!
    Bane's fights with Batman are terrible
    because Nolan still cannot direct brawling scenes. He barely even tries this time and seems to have gone back to his original tactic of cutting away or just plain hiding the action behind intervening characters.
    I can think of 2-3 decent moments but for the vasty majority of the film I was just hoping it would improve or just end. Nolan was obviously sick-to-death of the characters and seemed to want the audience to go out feeling the same way.

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.