8.4

1. Dec 9, 2012
    I tried really hard to enjoy this movie but it just made no sense to me. Even though it was almost three hours long, I found that each scene was so gawdy and finely cut together that I could barely follow what was going on. Instead of meaningful dialogue it seemed to be one overconfident cliche after another. I can't really say I'm a huge fan of superhero or comic book stories but I doI tried really hard to enjoy this movie but it just made no sense to me. Even though it was almost three hours long, I found that each scene was so gawdy and finely cut together that I could barely follow what was going on. Instead of meaningful dialogue it seemed to be one overconfident cliche after another. I can't really say I'm a huge fan of superhero or comic book stories but I do enjoy well written science fiction. Sadly, this is not. The writers should have taken a little more time to make sure and not offend intelligent viewers with such ridiculous moments as "oh my vertebrae is sticking out of my back, can you kick it back in for me?" - let's get real. If you want us to have sympathy and genuine concern for the heroes, they have to first be human. Expand
  2. Nov 17, 2012
    I've spent years waiting for the third film in the Dark Knight trilogy to open, and then spent 2 and a half hours waiting for it to end. Sluggish, laborious and predictable, Nolan's third Batman film is a decent film but an extreme disservice to the stellar franchise he started.
  3. Nov 19, 2012
    This movie was a pretty big disappointment, especially for those hoping that a sequel to The Dark Knight would be just as good as that movie was. Most of the acting & story was extremely predictable & unexciting, most of the movie was just extremely bland which caused me to walk out about two and a half hours in to the movie the first time & the second time when I sat through the wholeThis movie was a pretty big disappointment, especially for those hoping that a sequel to The Dark Knight would be just as good as that movie was. Most of the acting & story was extremely predictable & unexciting, most of the movie was just extremely bland which caused me to walk out about two and a half hours in to the movie the first time & the second time when I sat through the whole thing it wasn't any better, not even the ending. Honestly, the Mtn Dew flavor for this movie was 50 times better than the movie itself. Expand
  4. Aug 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is about 50 minutes too long. My mind drifted during the long, cliche exposition. But the real fatal flaw is that Nolan takes all the magic out of Batman. Gone is the atmospheric Gotham, replaced by a shiny, normal, everyday modern city. Did you like the Bane story from the comics? It doesn't exist. Bane is a average terrorist. Gone is the Venom (NO VENOM?!?). The break out of all of Batman's former nemesis from Arkham Asylum doesn't happen. He just releases some regular prison inmates. The Bane story is one of my favorite stories in the Batman universe. I was totally disappointed with this film after imagining how cool it would be when Arkham fell and Bane pumped up with venom. Nolan shouldn't use the Batman name if he is going to ignore what Batman is all about.
    If you compare this film to the Avengers, a great superhero movie from this summer, that stayed true to the comics and had great dialog and special effects, you can imagine how cool Batman could have been, and just how far Nolan took Batman down.
    I just pray he doesn't destroy all the fun and "hero" aspect of Superman, but I am very worried.
  5. Aug 10, 2012
    Wannabe, wanna be, therefore it is. Let's face it: Dark Knight was good, a very good film, but frankly it was almost exclusively that good, because it was a sort of adaptation of Alan Moore's "Killing Joke" and because, despite the hysteria of Heath Ledger's dramatic and unfortunate death, The Joker was a great one, a master villain. I will not compare it with Jack Nicholson's because thatWannabe, wanna be, therefore it is. Let's face it: Dark Knight was good, a very good film, but frankly it was almost exclusively that good, because it was a sort of adaptation of Alan Moore's "Killing Joke" and because, despite the hysteria of Heath Ledger's dramatic and unfortunate death, The Joker was a great one, a master villain. I will not compare it with Jack Nicholson's because that one was exceptional. Ledger's was very good, almost excellent. The residual memory emerges from this point; people want "The Dark Knight Rises" to be a sequel of that excellency, as I did, as Nolan forced us to believe so... as some kind of religious belief keeping us blindly seeing the way it was supposed to be, but it wasn't. It wasn't indeed, as the first of Nolan's trilogy it was a disbelief and a mime of the second. Without a matured anti-hero, this Batman collapses.

Somewhere somehow if not already at the plane, I started to feel I was being fooled by the Hollywood machine, again and again; my "want it to be as so" was there no more, vanishing, while I gradually started to notice the annoying, repeating and exaggerated soundtrack pushing me for a critical pause. Hans Zimmer made me seriously question about everything in this movie, existentially, if indeed I was facing the terrifying possibility of seeing another 2 hours of hollowed clichés noised by a syrupy music... another disappointment to add. You name it, Star Wars, Prometheus, Conan... I tried, I really did, I even said to myself to take it easy at my criticism and expectation, but there was no emotion to attach with, instead the music was continuously persisting in forcing the spectator to delude himself that indeed there was, like a crazy frantic miraged dance going to nowhere subliming the emptiness.

Simply put, the narrative didn't allow me to empathize with the characters, all of it was forced like an hyperactive quest to push the audience for an illusion of a final master piece, an idea that would be preferable not to be discarded, like a comfortable thought as nice as a wall separating the movie from the spectator. We were comfortably eating popcorns nicely throwing the bags to the floor.

I didn't like Bate's Bat forced voice, I don't like his costume, I haven't felt jubilated when he arose from the ashes, I kept wondering about Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns": what a pale reflex this film was revealing itself, bad omen I was getting bored, I wondered about the time of the intermezzo that would never come. I felt myself observing a hysterical sequence of forced dramatic situations, not realism, not Bat's Gothic existentialism. There was no voyeurism, there was no personal attachment, there was no time to feel emotionally connected... there was right in front of your nose... another banal Hollywood film using a Batman's stamp, a "Bruce Wayne's" costume fairy tail.

You have to be given compassed storyline hidden behind a door's hole, like preparing for the battle tasting a good cup of old wine expecting the confronting dilemma of mirroring yourself, like Alan Moore's and Frank Miller's Batman art of questioning... not this artificial and plastic speaking dolls acting for a spoiled audience, for statistics and budget and major gross openings! Michael Caine, I would punch your nose, how could you let this happen?

Everyone speaks about Bale's voice... heck with it! But of course it's strange, but of course, you just have to wonder you are a human being deprived from your childhood, although a noble guardian of a child's innocence... his own lost one... no? Great potential, great inner thought, great professional and passionate commitment and study, Tom Hardy's personification... but not properly explored by his director. You weren't given time or you weren't properly presented to his drama simply put. It was illustrated as just another sketched brute villain, with an Ah...! here he is, surpassed by the next one, Ah... here he is no more... and after a Oh...! a magical ethereal Batman is again, with his darn forced bad ass voice, right from the canonic pit of the survivors to smack the forces of evil.

I won't spoil the storytelling although I was spoiled by this film's lack of depth rich of busted expectations. Like every popcorn movie, this one innovates itself... it's Gothic an it has wings; obviously satisfies one's expectation behaving as just as commonly as a epidermic chain of pretentious tragic sensations, clichés, totally predicted and totally comfortable. And don't tell me this is just a comic movie, don't be so intellectual you say... Oh yes? Don't throw me that load of crap, because Nolan wanted this trilogy to surpass the previous ones using as trump two of the most darker comic book authors: Alan Moore and Frank Miller. If anything was to be expected, it was fulfilling expectations!
  6. Aug 13, 2012
    The final installment in Christopher Nolan's trilogy of Batman movies has a lot of things going for it. The usage of practical effects, the entertaining performances from Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy, and the sometimes brilliant action sequences (particularly in the film's opening) can be exhilarating. However, the whole affair feels like a cobbled together mess with a script that neverThe final installment in Christopher Nolan's trilogy of Batman movies has a lot of things going for it. The usage of practical effects, the entertaining performances from Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy, and the sometimes brilliant action sequences (particularly in the film's opening) can be exhilarating. However, the whole affair feels like a cobbled together mess with a script that never feels like it progressed beyond its first initial rough draft. The sound mixing is extremely wonky, the pacing is all over the place, and the story has way too many plot holes for the supposedly "realistic" world that Nolan is presenting. That's not to say the other films didn't, but the previous installments weren't heavily burdened with the hammy dialogue, inconsistent characters, and the hokey undeserved ending this movie had. Ultimately, this opinion is in the minority and people really seem to like this movie. That's great for them. But it in the opinion of this reviewer that the franchise deserved and needed a far better conclusion than this highly disappointing third act to an otherwise great series of movies. Expand
  7. Jul 29, 2012
    As someone who adores Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I had high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises. Unfortunately, I found it very disappointing for several reasons. For one, Tom Hardy's Bane is largely inaudible throughout. Also, if I'm being honest, I think his voice sounds a bit camp at times too. He's a great actor and capable of playing brooding, menacing characters well (seeAs someone who adores Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I had high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises. Unfortunately, I found it very disappointing for several reasons. For one, Tom Hardy's Bane is largely inaudible throughout. Also, if I'm being honest, I think his voice sounds a bit camp at times too. He's a great actor and capable of playing brooding, menacing characters well (see Bronson if you don't believe me!), which makes his performance in TDKR all the more disappointing and frustrating in equal measure.
    Secondly, this film is loaded with plot holes. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have a fair few, but nowhere near as many as this one does. Furthermore, Hans Zimmer's score is incredibly irritating - it seems to be playing in the background of almost every scene and is increasingly distracting. Bane and Batman's one-on-one fights look, and feel, as if they have been choreographed by wrestlers from WWE. They lack any intensity or suspense. TDKR moves at such an unforgiving pace that it's hard to absorb everything that happens. Ultimately, as a result of this, the film lacks any emotional depth. We don't feel for Bruce Wayne here in the same way we do for him in BB or TDK.
    Fortunately though, it isn't all bad. Anne Hathaway plays the role of Selina Kyle well enough, conveying a sense of playful mischief, and Michael Caine is excellent as Alfred.
    But, I had been waiting years for this film and had been expecting an entertaining and enthralling conclusion to Chris Nolan's Batman trilogy, but left the movie theatre feeling exhausted and dejected by its failings.
  8. Aug 6, 2012
    The dark Night rises was not worth the watch the lighting of my wallet was considerably noticeable after this film. Bruce Wayne does not lose cartilage, he doesn't allow a maid to rob him blind unnoticed and he certainly doesn't get thrown in a hole. Poor movie expected more the fact that there was only one point in the movie that actually caught me off guard means the dark night risesThe dark Night rises was not worth the watch the lighting of my wallet was considerably noticeable after this film. Bruce Wayne does not lose cartilage, he doesn't allow a maid to rob him blind unnoticed and he certainly doesn't get thrown in a hole. Poor movie expected more the fact that there was only one point in the movie that actually caught me off guard means the dark night rises should have stayed in bed. Expected more. Expand
  9. Dec 29, 2012
    Shockingly inept storytelling, especially given how solid the first two Nolan Batman films were. The cinematography and direction are as gorgeous as they were in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but the story is a complete wreck. A bit of creative license is needed for even the grittiest superhero film, but TDKR treats viewers like their IQs top out at 68. Nothing makes a whit of sense,Shockingly inept storytelling, especially given how solid the first two Nolan Batman films were. The cinematography and direction are as gorgeous as they were in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but the story is a complete wreck. A bit of creative license is needed for even the grittiest superhero film, but TDKR treats viewers like their IQs top out at 68. Nothing makes a whit of sense, the pacing is terrible, and the movie wastes Tom Hardy behind and mask and a ridiculous voice. A few energetic action sequences and Anne Hathaway's fun performance (and amazing figure in that suit) keep it from being a complete failure, but it's terribly close. Even Alfred's speeches are tiresome in this one. I just watched it for a second time, and it somehow makes even less sense than the first time around. Nolan tried to dress up an incredibly weak screenplay with lots of bells and whistles, but it's all empty noise. Expand
  10. Jan 11, 2013
    The dark night rises is the worst movie it is so random that lady is bad and bane talks funny avengers is way better and the this Batman was a mistake shame Christopher Nolan.
  11. Jul 21, 2012
    Okay, I get what they were aiming for...they just missed. Rather than tell a Batman story, the producers and writers told an elaborate and convoluted Death Wish story. The plot was overblown where it didn't need to be. Bane is goofy and inconsistent as a villain and there is no idealogical center to this picture. Considering the end of the film some of the histrionics that take placeOkay, I get what they were aiming for...they just missed. Rather than tell a Batman story, the producers and writers told an elaborate and convoluted Death Wish story. The plot was overblown where it didn't need to be. Bane is goofy and inconsistent as a villain and there is no idealogical center to this picture. Considering the end of the film some of the histrionics that take place (Alfred, I'm talking about you) don't really make any sense. I feel like we've run around in endless circles in this movie just to go a very short distance. The movie just doesn't really get it right. It is still entertaining, it just isn't Batman. Even standing alone, not comparing otto Dark Knight is just isn't that good. Sorry. Expand
  12. Jul 23, 2012
    This should be added to the list of over hyped movies that sucked. It was not about batman, the movie was about cat woman and robin and a whole lot of useless characters. What a waste of time. Batman had 2 fist fights in the movie, that's all the action you get. He either runs away scared or gets his ass kicked. Watched batman begins and TDK and was really excited to watch this movie. ButThis should be added to the list of over hyped movies that sucked. It was not about batman, the movie was about cat woman and robin and a whole lot of useless characters. What a waste of time. Batman had 2 fist fights in the movie, that's all the action you get. He either runs away scared or gets his ass kicked. Watched batman begins and TDK and was really excited to watch this movie. But the movie just sucked..on par with Prometheus! I did not pay money to watch a sissy batman movie with no action. Period. Expand
  13. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning contains spoilers! Questionable choices made by the director in this plot the feel of the movie was very much like the others which is good but 'Bane' as the main badie always left a question mark over my head when I saw the trailers when there are much more complex characters in the batman saga. I did enjoy how bane was acted his voice was strange but very much what has been heard of before in cartoons and games. However none of his back story was explained why did he get hooked up to a blood transfusion in the underground base he had why did he have the mask that made him sound so strange? Bane in the comics is supposed to be smart, intelligent and the Venom he uses makes him super strong not enough back story for this prominent leading character. Also where was Batman "the world greatest detective" that we had seen in the previous films, using expensive innovative detective methods was exchanged for big explosions and the bat plane. Ra's al ghul plot of bane completing his work because he his his supposed son only for everyone to find out its actually Talia was predictable to anyone who know the comics, has played any of the games and can spot bad acting!, Right from when she first gets introduced she, its easily to tell shes not who she says she is. This film is entertaining but frustrating if you are a fan Expand
  14. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A bitter disappointment and awful ending to a brilliant trilogy, the movie was so boring and lengthy that I considered to leave the cinema. The script was predictable at some points and the acting was so poor amongst some of the actors. Anne Hathaway was horrible, she was not convincing at all and her outfit looked like a cheap halloween costume. Bane, the main villain of this movie was killed in a split second and everything was forgotten about him, that's it. It's like the script writers wanted this movie to end quickly as possible at this point of the movie. The actress playing Miranda who appears to be Ra's Al Ghul's daughter Talia should get the award for worst death presentation, it was some of the worst acting I have ever seen, you can tell that she is acting. It's like she is taking a nap for crying out loud. Blake who appears to be Robin gets access to the Batman cave and all the high tech stuff that is in there, but he didn't recieve any training at all so he wouldn't know how to use it. Robin is just an ordinary cop in this movie with no combat skills, yet Bruce Wayne gives away the cave to him and settles down with the supposed Catwoman. Expand
  15. Jul 26, 2012
    Wow, I really wasn't expecting this. After all the hype, after knowing it was going to be the last batman movie made by Nolan, the movie just couldnt deliver, at all. And srsly I wanted to like it, I really tried, but after some horrible scenes and dialogues I couldn't lie to myself anymore.

I can't understand how this movie is getting such high reviews and by so many people... It makes no sense. The movie was a plotless mess with too much wasted budget. They didn't know what to do with so much money and decided to make up a load of random crap to fill in.

From beginning to end, there was nothing to like. The annoying conversations with Alfred, the horrible plot twists, the useless police march at the end (why not just drop a bomb in the middle of it?), the everlasting Morgan Freeman (always the same role and acting), Anne Hathaway (horrible choice for catwoman), the lame speech at the stadium, the over the top loud music, but above everything, the was no plot or story.

It worries me that so many people are loving it. This proves that anyone can produce a successful movie as long as there is huge hype, budget and fanboyism around it. People are going to love it either way.

Im not at all a hater, in fact I loved the second movie and TDKR was not even remotely close to it. I dont want to insult the people who liked this movie, but this was a very dumb movie, with too many plot holes ( e.g. Bruce leg problem magically healed in jail?) to mention all of them.

The good parts? I guess the explosion of the football stadium was cool. I walked out pissed and confused about why so few people disliked it.
  16. Jul 22, 2012
    It isn't very often that a film takes to the time to develop characters, their motivation, and the setting for the viewer to understand the who, what, and why. When a film does this, it needs to be complimented and acknowledged for doing so. This is one of those films. I felt personally connected to all of the characters, did not see the ending coming, and was fully engrossed throughoutIt isn't very often that a film takes to the time to develop characters, their motivation, and the setting for the viewer to understand the who, what, and why. When a film does this, it needs to be complimented and acknowledged for doing so. This is one of those films. I felt personally connected to all of the characters, did not see the ending coming, and was fully engrossed throughout the 2-1/2 hours. Awesome conclusion to an unforgettable story. Expand
  17. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises and there's a whole lot of talkin' goin' on. Admittedly, nothing could live up to the hype this things gotten so I tried - I really tried - to put all that aside. But the sad fact is this thing is a snooze.
    There is back story after back story in this movie as you learn and re-learn the histories of each character. And, while I promise you no spoilers, what really gets me is , if any of the so-called twists in the plot come as a surprise to you this must be the first movie you've ever seen. I'm not a fan boy and I don't demand fealty to the Holy Writ of the comic book origins, so I'll say making Bane wear that stupid mask was, well, stupid. This is a movie, he's an actor, you need to see his face!
    Anne Hathaway and Marion Cotilard are classic beauties and just watching them on screen is a pleasure just not worth all this hyperbole. The rest of the cast are very talented actors as well.
    So why a low rating? Well, I can't really tell you without giving spoilers and I promise not to do that. So let me just say if you must see this movie, wait a week or two for the lines to die down and go in promising yourself you ask no logical questions at all. None. Zip. Zilch.
    Just sit, eat your popcorn, slurp your cola and let the illogical, predictable plot flow over you.
  18. Jul 29, 2012
    Most film trilogies have the same problem: the last film puts too much focus on concluding the series, and as a result, they are often inferrior to their predecessors. The Dark Knight Rises has absolutely none of the elements that make Batman films so much fun to watch. There are not enough action scenes to keep you interested, and the characters have some of the most awkward voices ever.Most film trilogies have the same problem: the last film puts too much focus on concluding the series, and as a result, they are often inferrior to their predecessors. The Dark Knight Rises has absolutely none of the elements that make Batman films so much fun to watch. There are not enough action scenes to keep you interested, and the characters have some of the most awkward voices ever. Batman sounds like he has throat cancer, Bane sounds like an old man and Bruce Wayne sounds like a redneck. Catwoman is the only character I enjoyed watching.

The story is very bland, even by Batman standards. It's your typical "villian puts town in danger and the hero must stop him" story, but with a rather odd twist that just drags things on even more. The rarity of action scenes, "dramatic" moments that lack any real drama, and painfully slow pacing make this the worst Batman film since Batman & Robin.
  19. Dec 6, 2012
    Every scene in this movie looks and feels awkward.The characters are lifeless, bloodless - and what exactly is the plot ? There is not an ounce of humor in the entire movie. The villain and his ridiculous mask, Christian Bale again as a complete miscast, Anne Hathaway's awful acting, Michael Caine's annoying accent, all that makes for an experience you want to forget about.
  20. Jul 29, 2012
    Self-indulgent. Don't get me wrong, there was many solid ideas and well filmed sequences just about as badly executed as a student film with a giant budget. The middle 90 minutes is basicly... the bad guy is bad, he is really bad, he is really, really bad... and so it goes for 90 minutes. I saw people sleeping in the theater. Rent it, see the first 30 minutes and the last 2 minutes.Self-indulgent. Don't get me wrong, there was many solid ideas and well filmed sequences just about as badly executed as a student film with a giant budget. The middle 90 minutes is basicly... the bad guy is bad, he is really bad, he is really, really bad... and so it goes for 90 minutes. I saw people sleeping in the theater. Rent it, see the first 30 minutes and the last 2 minutes. Everything else is the director's ego on the screen and his inability to edit. Can you say Matrix 3? Expand
  21. Aug 4, 2012
    Completely empty and meaningless. If you are a sheep, go to this movie. Otherwise, almost any movie in any theatre will be better than this one. Awful.
  22. Aug 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Too long, too boring, too stupid, too predictable. When you watch first scene in airplane you think nice directing and action but the story behind it and Bane's plan was so stupid that it was too funny to watch. A plot where some body builder with mask lock all of city policeman's (smart guys!) in a subway under city and than announce it on some football game followed with unnecessary violence (trough all the scenes with Bane) to make some stupid point is rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish. Bane breaks Batman's back and he get miraculously cured hanging from a rope in a cave! He liberates all policemen ant they attack Bane's people in that legendary scene where 10 000 people is shooting on each other in 20m distance and 2 guys die! Than they drop their weapons and start to hit each other. If this were a comedy it would be much better. Who wrote that plot. Can they put at least some suspension or unpredictability in movie? I mean who didn't know Robin will be that policeman? I don't know what is worse in this move. Acting, dialog's or story.
    Other reviewers say it's deep movie? On what drug are they on? They show cat women's character as good like this: She is walking down the street. Some guys are molesting a kid without any reason. She helps the kid, beating the guys. Omg how anyone come to idea to put that scene in move. And scenes like that just pops out everywhere. Batman is fighting on one part of town and in next scene he comes and helps cat women. I thought who cut the part between? What about that scene on wall street? Where those guys who act like janitors hide their motorcycles? Why did police made ramps for them to jump over the blockade? Why did they even attack wall street on that stupid way? It was so funny to see something that unrealistic and stupid in a movie. It's deep politically and social? Yes, if you are retard. It,s so superficial that you have to laugh. Avoid if you don't won to throw 3 hours of your life.
    Only way to enjoy in this movie is to accept it's very expansively produced, good directed brainless action which will unintentionally make you laugh so many times...
  23. Jul 23, 2012
    Batman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superb acting. Tom Hardy as Bane is no Joker, but is a talented actor that is a good choice for Bane. Anne Hathaway surprised me with her great acting asBatman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superb acting. Tom Hardy as Bane is no Joker, but is a talented actor that is a good choice for Bane. Anne Hathaway surprised me with her great acting as Catwoman, Marion Cotillard was the memorable Miranda Tate, and Michael Caine and definitely Christian Bale have never been better in the franchise. The best new character for me was Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake, who gave a great performance. The story excelled at showing that Batman is human like us, not some Superman or Green Lantern, but a guy just like us, even if he has a bit more money. This is a great end to a great trilogy, and I think it outdoes Spider-Man and the Avengers for best superhero movie of the year. Expand
  24. Jul 24, 2012
    This movie is very average. The plot doesn't make logical sense, the movie lacks appearances from its star cast, and fight scenes are nothing more than 2 brutes swinging as hard as they can. The movie is rather a test to see how much fans love Christopher Nolan. It seems in their eyes he can do no wrong. He is the real world white knight and we will adore and overrate this film justThis movie is very average. The plot doesn't make logical sense, the movie lacks appearances from its star cast, and fight scenes are nothing more than 2 brutes swinging as hard as they can. The movie is rather a test to see how much fans love Christopher Nolan. It seems in their eyes he can do no wrong. He is the real world white knight and we will adore and overrate this film just because he made it no matter how many plot holes and liberties he took with this film. Expand
  25. Jul 20, 2012
    I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with such an anticipated film. As a fan of the "comic book" genre and believing that the first two films in this series were nothing short of perfection, this movie fell way short on nearly every level. The dull, lifeless performances were equally matched by an unimaginative and lengthy script. This movie could have easily beenI can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with such an anticipated film. As a fan of the "comic book" genre and believing that the first two films in this series were nothing short of perfection, this movie fell way short on nearly every level. The dull, lifeless performances were equally matched by an unimaginative and lengthy script. This movie could have easily been scripted to have a fourth, or even fifth, instalment. At least then we could have been saved the horrible editing and cinematography that forced it into a single film, thus making it feel like nothing more than a two and a half hour trailer (the background music also NEVER stopped). And once again we see a great comic book villain who's story and purpose isn't truly told on the big screen, and Bane's is deep, he almost deserves his own movie. So much like Spider-Man 3, they tried to do too much with too little and it really shows. With the exception of it's actors, this final chapter appears to share absolutely none of what made the other two great. Expand
  26. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises had a lot of hype and high expectations to live up to after coming off of its acclaimed predecessor--The Dark Knight. Thus, inevitably, when going in to see the TDKR, TDK will be on the back of many peoples
  27. Jul 22, 2012
    I am probably one of the biggest Batman fans there is and going in I knew this was going to be garbage. For anyone who knows the Batman stories or reads the comics this movie will be like a slap in the face. People will like this movie because they feel they should but it falls flat in so many ways. It will do well but in my opinion the DC cartoons will always be better than the films andI am probably one of the biggest Batman fans there is and going in I knew this was going to be garbage. For anyone who knows the Batman stories or reads the comics this movie will be like a slap in the face. People will like this movie because they feel they should but it falls flat in so many ways. It will do well but in my opinion the DC cartoons will always be better than the films and the Marvel films will keep trumping the crap DC keeps doing live action Expand
  28. Feb 28, 2013
    batman is awful b/c he is predictably moral and thus just another boring super doofus of a hero. grow some balls marvel and show something dark and real.
  29. Jul 24, 2012
    The whole film was a letdown not only as a batman trio. but also as a nolan's film. No hard work was done in every department except the sound. The dialogues were so dumb unlike inception, memento, tdk. Twists in the film were forcefully injected into it & it all felt hopeless. One scene when the bane's past is revealed was a twist & really was the dumbest twist of all times. It was a mainThe whole film was a letdown not only as a batman trio. but also as a nolan's film. No hard work was done in every department except the sound. The dialogues were so dumb unlike inception, memento, tdk. Twists in the film were forcefully injected into it & it all felt hopeless. One scene when the bane's past is revealed was a twist & really was the dumbest twist of all times. It was a main but cheap twist & made bane look like a weak character & completely made the movie to downfall. Before this scene the movie was better than tdk, only one scene changed the fate of this movie. The film looked like even, nolan didn't also wanna make it. He should do what he wants & not not the money thirsty producers (WB) Expand
  30. Jul 21, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is another proff, that Nolan brothers are untalented, like Christian Bale as Batman. Horrible idea making Bane main genius enemy. So boring and so awful action. So stupidly written plot. This thing need to be at the deep of rating, but stupid fans forced this film.

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.