8.4

1. Jul 20, 2012
    Saw it last night. In a Marathon of the other two. One of the best movies that I have seen in a very, very long time. The words Masterpiece could pretty easily be used. I saw the entire trilogy back to back. As a whole, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is greater then the sum of its parts. It is the engrossing tragedy of Bruce Wayne. The last hour or so is just completely non-stop. GutSaw it last night. In a Marathon of the other two. One of the best movies that I have seen in a very, very long time. The words Masterpiece could pretty easily be used. I saw the entire trilogy back to back. As a whole, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is greater then the sum of its parts. It is the engrossing tragedy of Bruce Wayne. The last hour or so is just completely non-stop. Gut wrenching and emotional. I wont tell you what happens at the end, but I was damn near tears.

What everyone is wondering is whether it is better then The Dark Knight. There is no better or worse, it is just different. As a villain, the Joker represented unplanned, unhinged chaos. As he put it, he is a dog just chasing a car, with no thoughts of what will happen when he gets it. Bane represents the same evil, harnessed with a plan. He knows exactly what he is going to do. The best way that I could describe Bane is as a mix between Hannibal Lecter and the Hulk. On the outside, a complete and utter savage brute. But in his mind, he is incredibly crafty, witty, and cordial in an odd way.

My highest recommendations goes out for this film. It was an experience watching it, and it easily is the best film of the year.
  2. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I won't go into superlatives, simply pros and cons.

Pros:
    1) Performances all round are exceptional. Bale dials back the voice and portrays a broken Bruce/Batman very well, Oldman (Commissioner Gordon) and Caine (Alfred the Butler) are as strong and dependable as ever, and there are fantastic performances from newcomers Anne Hathaway (a revelation as Catwoman), Marion Cotillard (Miranda Tate), Tom Hardy (a physical beast as Bane) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in particular as city-cop John Blake. Well done to those who guessed where he ends up.
    2) Action sequences are thrilling throughout (from opening plane-hijacking to city-wide end chase/brawl via brutal fight between our hero and villain), both in terms of effects, pacing and execution.
    3) For me, the ending(s) were very nice indeed.

Cons:
    1) As has been much publicised by others, I had real trouble hearing some of the dialogue - particularly when Bane was speaking quietly. There was one conversation in the middle of the film where he and Batman were almost murmuring to each other under an ill-advised loud moment in the otherwise excellent score by Hans Zimmer.
    2) Morgan Freeman doesn't get much to do, although adding time for him might have stretched the film a bit too far.
    3) Whilst I don't necessarily agree, I can understand the small complaints that it takes a bit of time to get going.

Conclusion:
    The film would be great as a stand-alone film, but as a trilogy ender it's an absolute belter. There aren't many action trilogies to match it - including the original Star Wars trilogy in my opinion - and we are unlikely to see another superhero story like it for many, many years.
  3. Jul 22, 2012
    First, I must say that this is the best film I have ever seen produced for an IMAX screen. I went in with tentatively high expectations. I truly thought The Dark Knight was an excellent film, not just an excellent Super Hero flick. The Dark Knight Rises was as good if not better. Like most movies in the genre, the hero has to seem down and out only to make a heroic comeback. While youFirst, I must say that this is the best film I have ever seen produced for an IMAX screen. I went in with tentatively high expectations. I truly thought The Dark Knight was an excellent film, not just an excellent Super Hero flick. The Dark Knight Rises was as good if not better. Like most movies in the genre, the hero has to seem down and out only to make a heroic comeback. While you would expect the same here, the journey to a supremely climactic finish is anything but formulaic. This movie made me rethink my feelings about The Avengers (which I gave a 10) in that a super hero film need not be cheesy, childish, or humorous to be great. This truly was a dark night where glimmers of hope seem to evaporate with thunderous booms. Only to leave you applauding with everyone else as the credits roll. Expand
  4. Jul 22, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is a bittersweet viewing experience, an exhilarating dramatic adventure so fully engaging that when it reaches it's powerful and emotional climax, you leave the theater feeling like you are saying goodbye to a dear friend you will never see again that makes this the crown jewel of superhero epics and one of the most satisfying and complete movie trilogies ever made."The Dark Knight Rises" is a bittersweet viewing experience, an exhilarating dramatic adventure so fully engaging that when it reaches it's powerful and emotional climax, you leave the theater feeling like you are saying goodbye to a dear friend you will never see again that makes this the crown jewel of superhero epics and one of the most satisfying and complete movie trilogies ever made. As much as I want to see another Batman movie, I can't imagine one without Christian Bale under the direction and talents of Christopher Nolan who so fully realized this character and the drama of the relationships and themes that make the Dark Knight legend so resonant and real. Thanks to Chris Nolan and company for presenting Bruce Wayne's journey in a way I don't see anyone ever surpassing. Bravo to series veterans Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and to new cast members Tom Hardy, Marion Cottilard and especially Anne Hathaway as the definitive Selina Kyle. It's been a hell of a 9 year ride getting here! The best of the trilogy. Expand
  5. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises concludes Christopher Nolan's dark and triumphant Batman trilogy. For seven years, Nolan's reboot has reached acclaim and this final Batman flick has easily been one of the most anticipated movies of all time.

After eight years of no Batman, a terrorizing masked pro-wrestler has come to burn Gotham to ashes with a master plan to overthrow the higher classes. After his stock market stunt he leaves Wayne Enterprises wiped out financially. Bruce Wayne reaches out to Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard), a millionaire who can help Wayne. Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), a cat burglar also known as Catwoman, comes across Wayne after steeling his mother's pearls but is also after a "clean slate", that Wayne can give her. John Blake (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is a young cop who is nothing short of heroic. Nolan provides us with many new characters and manages to present them as fresh instead of overwhelming.

The Dark Knight set the bar very high for this movie and with the absence of the Joker, who Heath Ledger made one of his most memorable performances of, finding another villain who could top that brilliance was seen as almost impossible. Bane (Tom Hardy), a B-list villain was something of a genius idea. A villain who is as powerful as Batman and makes Batman's job nearly impossible. Although we didn't get the humor that we were left with by the Joker and still, Bane doesn't quite live up to the Joker's glory, Hardy did leave us with a great villain and Nolan succeeds at making this B-lister feel like an A-list villain. The mask does take away a bit of personality but Hardy does give an impressive performance only using his expressions with his eyes and body language. you will leave the theater withe the epic and evil voice that Bane provides us with, done so well, stuck in your head. The presence of the other new characters like Catwoman and Miranda Tate also help make up for the missing Joker.

Nolan's final Batman film doesn't fall short of it's predecessors. The legend ends with one of the greatest superhero movies of all time. We are left with a truly triumphant finale.
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight was my favourite film, and it was because of this I feared that The Dark Knight Rises would be a disappointment. At no point during the entirety of the film did I feel in any way disappointed by the film. TDKR ends the trilogy in truly style, capturing a scale never managed by Batman Begins or The Dark Knight. A must see film.
  7. Jul 20, 2012
    The weakest of the Batman trilogy. But that doesn't mean the movie is bad. In fact, it is far from it. From Christopher Nolan, i expected much more though. Anne Hathaway was brilliant as Catwoman and Tom Hardy as Bane. The movie is plagued with some plot holes though which I wont spoil but are obvious during the course of the film. This will make other superhero films seem childlike andThe weakest of the Batman trilogy. But that doesn't mean the movie is bad. In fact, it is far from it. From Christopher Nolan, i expected much more though. Anne Hathaway was brilliant as Catwoman and Tom Hardy as Bane. The movie is plagued with some plot holes though which I wont spoil but are obvious during the course of the film. This will make other superhero films seem childlike and the twists and turns of this movie are fantastic but overall, funwise, Marvel's The Avengers was the superior film. I had a blast cheering with my fellow midnight movie-goers and even though this film was a blast, it was the weakest entry of the Dark Knight saga. Expand
  8. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The conclusion to this cultural phenomenon of a series did not leave me disappointed in the slightest. Being a big movie fan, as well as having a pretty thorough knowledge of the history of the comic, I was very pleased with how Christopher Nolan handled the final installment of his trilogy. The story is great, the acting is great from every member of the main ensemble (Bale, Hardy, Hatheway, Caine, Oldman, Cotillard, Gordon-Levitt and Freeman all do excellent jobs) and the presentation is stunning as well. To ask this film to live up to the magnitude of it's predecessor is incredibly unfair and while it isn't a greater showing than thee last one it's still a high quality blockbuster, and very fitting conclusion to the series. Bane is, in my opinion, about the perfect villian to follow up The Joker and while I was skeptical initially, the inclusion of Selina Kyle definitely adds to the film. Again, I think the film was excellent. The characters, plot, visuals, and score were all fantastic and the film did I good job tying the evolution of Bruce Wayne throughout the films together. I do not want to (and won't) give much away but the only qualms I had with this movie were that, first,as others have said, the storytelling was a little messy until about half way through ( i might even say rushed even though half way is about 80 minutes in). Secondly, the relationship between Bruce Wayne and Miranda Tate develops suddenly without much foundation. Lastly and least importantly, I had trouble understanding Bane a couple times but this is really rather minimal as it only happened with two or three lines and I was still able to make out what he said. All in all I really enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it to anyone who likes movies or is even a lukewarm fan of the series. Expand
  9. Jul 20, 2012
    Terrific piece of film making that stands out well beyond the whole "superhero" thing. The action is great and Nolan really brings the characters to life again. Hardy's Bane plays an extremely close second to Ledger's Joker. The real accomplishment here is the humanization of its characters. We see everyone at their most vulnerable, and that is what is so utterly chilling. Being aTerrific piece of film making that stands out well beyond the whole "superhero" thing. The action is great and Nolan really brings the characters to life again. Hardy's Bane plays an extremely close second to Ledger's Joker. The real accomplishment here is the humanization of its characters. We see everyone at their most vulnerable, and that is what is so utterly chilling. Being a Bat-nut I saw the twists coming from a mile away, but those not well versed in the universe should be in for a pleasant surprise. Hardcore fans might gawk at the liberties Nolan takes with the mythos, but Nolan provides a new spin on a classic chapter that only he could pull off without me screaming "blasphemy." It really is a fitting end to an excellent trilogy. Expand
  10. Jul 20, 2012
    Not all critics hailed it as good as its immediate predecessor, but in all honesty TDKR is as good as The Dark Knight. Yes no one can match a truly magnificent performance by the late H. Ledger which make his last made film truly legendary and makes this last installment of Nolan's Batman really hard to finish and above all else TDK has put this last sequel on pedestal of everyone's eye,Not all critics hailed it as good as its immediate predecessor, but in all honesty TDKR is as good as The Dark Knight. Yes no one can match a truly magnificent performance by the late H. Ledger which make his last made film truly legendary and makes this last installment of Nolan's Batman really hard to finish and above all else TDK has put this last sequel on pedestal of everyone's eye, expecting higher than the usual but Hardy's performance as Bane make it big for this movie and of course Nolan's grand finale has its ground-breaking spectacular and non-stop nail-biting climax that would put you on the edge of your seat gripping till the last scene.

The script was greatly made by the Nolan brothers. There were a lot of new cast which you would think they're irrelevant but evidently it was a necessity to the climax. The acting was superb especially Hardy, Bale, Gordon-Levitte,and Caine. The plot and story and directing was amazing and real, I don't know how Nolan's brain works but it is amazingly effective.

TDKR is the very best finale sequel since LOTR: Return of the King. Of course it is way too better than the third sequel of Spider-Man, X-Men, Blade, even the third Star Wars.Overall TDKR is the best film of 2012 I've seen so far. It is definitely greater than to its competition. It has made The Avengers a child's play as said by TIME movie review. And definitely as great as The Dark Knight. Not all viewers will be pleased by this movie especially some critics, but in all honesty this is one of the greatest movie that has ever made (especially in our time).
  11. Jul 20, 2012
    The shortest 3 hours of my life was taken up by one of the most awesome cinema spectacles of all time. An amalgamation of the themes of Begins and Dark Knight coupled with the theme of pain makes for one of the most intense, emotional, harrowing and most of all - surprising films made, and arguably, the strongest in the franchise. Great performances all round, especially from Tom Hardy,The shortest 3 hours of my life was taken up by one of the most awesome cinema spectacles of all time. An amalgamation of the themes of Begins and Dark Knight coupled with the theme of pain makes for one of the most intense, emotional, harrowing and most of all - surprising films made, and arguably, the strongest in the franchise. Great performances all round, especially from Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Michael Caine. Expand
  12. Jul 20, 2012
    Wow. Okay, now I was very careful not to get swept up in the hype of this movie, as initially I felt SLIGHTLY disappointed by the last one. I know, I know, the Dark Knight was awesome and Ledgers Joker was legendary, but I guess I just expected too much from it, and it didn't quite feel like "Batman's film" as much as Batman Begins did. So I went into this with excitement, but someWow. Okay, now I was very careful not to get swept up in the hype of this movie, as initially I felt SLIGHTLY disappointed by the last one. I know, I know, the Dark Knight was awesome and Ledgers Joker was legendary, but I guess I just expected too much from it, and it didn't quite feel like "Batman's film" as much as Batman Begins did. So I went into this with excitement, but some trepidation and no overly high expectations. Seriously, I needn't have worried. This is just brilliant, so I'll point out my only gripe with the film before I start lavishing it with praise: I spotted a plot-hole. That's it. It's not even the biggest plot-hole and could probably be explained away in one line of dialogue, perhaps it was explained in the IMAX version if it had extra scenes, but I did find myself asking: "How did he get back there so fast?" at one point in the film. That aside, this is just a beautifully made film. If ever there's a superhero movie that might make you cry, this is it. I got a lump in my throat during some of the scenes between Alfred and Bruce. I never thought Michael Caine quite got enough praise for his role in the previous 2 films, so I'm giving him a special mention here. Casting Michael Caine as Alfred was a stroke of genius, making him Bruce's father-figure as opposed to a just stuffy old butler like in some other batman films and series. I genuinely think he deserves a Best Supporting Actor nomination at this years Oscars, because never before have I had such a strong range of emotions during a comic book movie. I won't spoil anything, but Alfred plays a more important role than ever. Hardy's Bane was just as fascinating to watch as Ledger's Joker. Yes, he's THAT good. And Anne Hathaway, who many considered to be a somewhat controversial choice for Catwoman, absolutely nails it. She's funny, cool and sexy in just the right amounts, while bringing her own fair share of drama to the proceedings. Joseph-Gordon Levitt is the real surprise here, though. Not that anyone ever doubted his acting skills, it's just that as a completely new character, a rookie cop with no real ties to the other main characters, I didn't expect much more than a small supporting role, but as always, JGL shines in a role that was much, much more substantial than I expected. Morgan Freeman slips brilliantly back into the Lucius Fox role of course, and then there's Bale. I love Christian Bale, that's perhaps the main reason why the Dark Knight initially left me a little cold, he didn't get much chance to make an impression with all else that went on in TDK. I think he's great in everything from American Psycho to the Machinist, and when I first heard he was gonna be batman, I was over the moon. He was brilliant in Batman Begins, great in TDK too, but in this he's just phenominal. But all this great acting talent would be wasted of course, if the script and direction wasn't up to scratch. But Christopher Nolans script is tense, dramatic, tragic, action packed, surprising, and incredibly moving. I usually have reservations about giving out 10/10 scores, but this is a no-brainer. This is the film of the year, and far and away the best one of the trilogy. Brilliant. Expand
  13. Aug 1, 2012
    It's simple - "The Dark Knight Rises" is the best movie of the year. It beats "The Avengers" in every single aspect.---------------------------------
  14. Aug 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First things first, this is definitely not too long, I finished watching and still wanted more of the awesome action. It is not as dark as the Dark Knight, but is almost as good. The acting again (like the first two) is top-notch, with the Batman regulars all acting at their best alongside the new recruits (other than there were a couple of times when I didn't understand what was being said). Catwoman is pretty much perfect in the film, leaving me with a "Year One" taste lingering in my mouth afterwards and Bane was awesome, not Joker awesome but awesome enough, as you really do feel the power of Bane in his punches and character. However, there were a couple of things that just happened, firstly, when Alfred leaves, he just leaves with no more explanation (a minor fault really, as it is explained why he leaves). Secondly, Bane's death was just a little too... fast, but he did break Batman's back which is all kinds of good :) The film wasn't very complicated, and the ending was absolutely fantastic, perfectly rounding things off. While the film wasn't quite up to the incredibly high standards of its predecessor, it is by far the best film I have seen for two years (Toy Story 3 was the last "masterpiece" I saw in the cinema) and definitely lives up to the hype. The Dark Knight Rises is a perfect mix of Batman Begins and the Dark Knight and will (probably) be the best film released this year, so go watch it for goodness sake! Expand
  15. Jul 20, 2012
    Great finish to the trilogy. Nolan is able to give proper homage to the 2 prior films, while giving the audience something fresh. Also, Anne Hathaway was surprisingly great in the role of Selina Kyle.
  16. Jul 21, 2012
    I'ev been waiting for 4 yrs for this epic conclusion. And this is worth the wait. Thank Christopher Nolan for his masterpiece. Thank all the casts and crew that made such a great film. Best movie ever !
  17. Jul 21, 2012
    I watched this film in IMAX and travelled 60miles to go see it, I would do it again any day of the week. I knew this movie was going to be awesome but it just blew my expectations out the water. It is very much a comic book movie meaning people who read the comics will get more out of it. I loved so many parts of it and there where so many twists and turns. No one can and no one will everI watched this film in IMAX and travelled 60miles to go see it, I would do it again any day of the week. I knew this movie was going to be awesome but it just blew my expectations out the water. It is very much a comic book movie meaning people who read the comics will get more out of it. I loved so many parts of it and there where so many twists and turns. No one can and no one will ever top this Batman movie! It was also the first ever movie I have been in where we had a standing round of applause afterwards. EPIC! Expand
  18. Jul 21, 2012
    As it stands, it's the weakest Christopher Nolan film that he's ever made. It certainly is the weakest film out of the whole trilogy. After the incredible films that I have witness Nolan make before DNR (Inception, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Memento); I can tell he was not engaged in Dark Knight Rises as the previous two movies and it shows. having watched the trilogy,As it stands, it's the weakest Christopher Nolan film that he's ever made. It certainly is the weakest film out of the whole trilogy. After the incredible films that I have witness Nolan make before DNR (Inception, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Memento); I can tell he was not engaged in Dark Knight Rises as the previous two movies and it shows. having watched the trilogy, the last one was not as seamless or as fluid as his previous efforts. It felt rushed, a few parts took some liberties with story telling, and the third act was didn't do this film justice. Nolan's films on it's own is easily better than 85% of the movies out today. As movie trilogies go, it's easily in the top 5. I'll see Dark Knight Rises again to see if my thoughts change. Expand
  19. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I walked into this film with extremely high expectations, and I can honestly say that this film completely surpassed my already high expectations. I had to turn to my friend once in a while and I could see that he also looked absolutely astounded. At the beginning of the film I was pulled in by the new characters, Catwoman(Anne Hathaway) and Bane(Tom Hardy), and also pulled in by the completely new portrayal of Bruce Wayne(Christian Bale), which was far different to his performance in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Although I feel that it started in a very similar way to Batman Begins, but this just adds to nostalgic effect. Throughout the film I was constantly mesmerized by the new gadgets that Lucius Fox(Morgan Freeman) offered. This film has a massive amount of character building. The way Bruce Wayne changes from a broken man, both mentally and physically, to the spectacular former hero he was in The Dark Knight. The supporting actors were simply astounding, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Micheal Caine, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Gary Oldman did a brilliant job. I think the mystery that surrounded John Blake(Joseph Grodon-Levitt's character) was brilliant. My favourite part of the film by far was the ending. John Blake stumbling upon the Bat-cave, the statue of Batman being revealed in Gotham, Alfred Pennyworth(Michael Caine) finally fulfilling his fantasy of finding Bruce Wayne settled down with a wife, Selina Kyle(Catwoman). I find it brilliant that Alfred also talks about this fantasy near the beginning of the film, this ties together the whole film. The cameo from Ra's Al Ghul(Liam Neeson) was very reminiscent of Batman Begins. The twist involving Miranda Tate(Marion Cotillard) where you find out that she is really Talia Al Ghul is fantastic. The only downside to this film that I could find was Bane's voice. I found he sounded rather like a posh Englishman. All together, this film was by far the best I've ever seen, it was a brilliant ending to a fantastic trilogy. I realise I've used a lot of superlatives in this review, but I assure you this film deserves it, if there is one film I could ever recommend, it would be this one. If you do anything this year, make sure you see this film. I saw it on the opening day and I guarantee you I will definitely see it many more times. Expand
  20. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible acting. Perfect balance of action and dramatic storytelling. Edge-of-your-seat intensity. The last film of Nolan's Batman trilogy is absolutely thrilling from beginning to end. While the movie doesn't contain a central villain as unique and iconic as The Dark Knight's Joker, the assortment of new characters and their interweaving stories make for a larger, more intricate movie. Bane's visceral presence brings forth feelings of terror and dread each time he appears on screen, his brutal physicality and authoritative personality a contrast to the wild chaos of the Joker in the previous film. Selina Kyle is the most interesting character in the movie; devilishly sly, sensual, and intelligent, and the dynamic she shares with Bruce Wayne is one of the high points of the film. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's John Blake has a surprising amount of screen time, but none of it is wasted - he evolves into a sort of second hero of the film, willing to do whatever it takes to save Gotham but foregoing the elusiveness and symbolic nature of Batman in favor of an every-man who can connect with the citizens as an actual human. The action set pieces are great, and the visuals stunning. Of particular note is the jet/helicopter hybrid the Bat, which is an amazing sight to behold as it soars throughout Gotham. The fight scenes between Batman and Bane are also a blast to watch, each one a slow, gruesome, bare-knuckle brawl that test the limits of Batman's body and abilities. High speed chases through Gotham, scenes of destruction on a massive scale, and a huge battle royale on the streets make this this most epic movie of the trilogy. This is not the Dark Knight, which was a more cohesive film and contained the best portal of a comic book villain in recent times, but The Dark Knight Rises is spectacular in other ways. Expand
  21. Aug 15, 2012
    BANANAANANANANANANANANANANA BATMAN!!..
    This was a very worthy conclusion to the epic batman trilogy..
    Sexy!, Action Packed!, Explosions and **** This is a fantastic movie, a must watch!..
    Stop reading this review and watch the Goddamn Movie!!
  22. Jul 20, 2012
    Definitely, this movie has a 9.6, Nolan did what no one else was able to did before, to make the perfect trilogy, everyone has failed with the third movie, even Francis Ford Coppola failed with The Godfather III, but Nolan gave us a surprise,The Dark Knight Rises was the epic final, for the epic trilogy, as I said before, he did what no one else was able to do before, make the third movieDefinitely, this movie has a 9.6, Nolan did what no one else was able to did before, to make the perfect trilogy, everyone has failed with the third movie, even Francis Ford Coppola failed with The Godfather III, but Nolan gave us a surprise,The Dark Knight Rises was the epic final, for the epic trilogy, as I said before, he did what no one else was able to do before, make the third movie better than the second, Batman Begins was really good, Batman The Dark Knight was better, but The Dark Knight Rises is even better, in so many ways, it is impossible to dislike this movie, if someone says that he or she doesn't like this movie, is lying, and is a hater, because it is impossible, this movie is epic, the end was just amazing, I almost had a heart attack, this final movie had everything, it touched my emotions to the very end, I just have to say that Nolan did an amazing work, and sorry to say this Francis Ford Coppola, but my new favorite trilogy is now directed by Nolan. Expand
  23. Jul 21, 2012
    A wonderful end to the finest superhero-themed trilogy one has ever seen. Every character is developed fantastically, from the villainous Bane to the ever loyal Alfred, the hardened Commissioner Gordon and finally the Caped Crusader himself. A must see for anyone who wants more than their admission ticket's worth.
  24. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is centered around pain, and you can definitely feel it in this! Chris Nolan has done his job to perfection for his trilogy! TDKR ties more into Batman Begins than The Dark Knight and gets all the loose ends sewn up. It takes the elements of Begins and the lie in Dark Knight to make one helluva a trilogy finale. As a Batman and Chris Nolan fan, I think TDKR is theThe Dark Knight Rises is centered around pain, and you can definitely feel it in this! Chris Nolan has done his job to perfection for his trilogy! TDKR ties more into Batman Begins than The Dark Knight and gets all the loose ends sewn up. It takes the elements of Begins and the lie in Dark Knight to make one helluva a trilogy finale. As a Batman and Chris Nolan fan, I think TDKR is the best of the three and possibly Nolan's best, but I can understand if anyone chooses any three as the best. This film has the action, destruction to feed those fans while also having the most emotion for a Nolan film. Nolan really does make you get sucked into the characters he has built over 3 movies. Tom Hardy's performance as Bane really does the character justice with eyes of different emotion and the physicality he brings on screen. Anne Hathaway has to be the breakthrough performance as Selina Kyle, because she brings sexiness, strength, and class to her character. Christian Bale becomes Batman for the last time and delivers his best performance as the character in the trilogy. Wally Pfister's cinematography is top notch and Oscar worthy for this movie of such grand scale. Chris Nolan should at least get his nomination for director for the Oscars this year but who knows. I won't give anything away, but the ending was a great way to end Bruce's story. As a trilogy I think it is right up their with some of the best, and it really is one whole story. The trilogy does circle around if Bruce can become the ideal to become the legend that Ra's al Ghul says in the first film. This truly is the greatest superhero/comic book trilogy/film. Expand
  25. Jul 20, 2012
    The first thing that comes to mind when you leave the theater after watching the visually spellbinding,emotionally satisfying & the majestic storytelling spectacle named "The Dark Knight Rises",is that Christopher Nolan has cemented his place in the history of cinema for turning a cult comic book franchise into the most enthralling silver screen experience anyone can ever hope for.TheThe first thing that comes to mind when you leave the theater after watching the visually spellbinding,emotionally satisfying & the majestic storytelling spectacle named "The Dark Knight Rises",is that Christopher Nolan has cemented his place in the history of cinema for turning a cult comic book franchise into the most enthralling silver screen experience anyone can ever hope for.The dialogues are sure to resonate for ages;the performances,especially from Christian Bale & Tom Hardy,deserve every possible accolade & each scene simply exudes sheer brilliance.The literal & metaphorical rise of the Dark Knight is displayed with the utmost aplomb & the climax is,in my humble opinion,the greatest conclusion to a masterpiece ever witnessed on the silver screen.Watch the film not only for its magnitude,but for an unbelievably enriching cinematic experience & to be a part of Nolan,the magician's once in a lifetime extravaganza. Expand
  26. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. if you go in the theaters with a view to watch something better than 'the dark knight' , you would be disappointed . But if you go in to watch a super-hero flick you will be amazed with the sheer magnificent ride and would love the movie overall. Better than 'batman begins' and as close to the 'the dark knight' as any super hero flick can go. definitely a must watch for batman fans and a glorified end to a miracle called 'batman- begins' Expand
  27. Jul 20, 2012
    One word describes this movie EPIC!

The final chapter of the Dark Knight series goes out with a bang...intense actions sequences, superb acting, great soundtrack, and great story. Watched the midnight IMAX show ....totally worth the price of admission and it was mesmerizing because everything is just flawless! MUST WATCH! best movie of 2012!
  28. Jul 20, 2012
    Really good special effects, lots more CGI than the previous films, the stunt scenes are examples of perfect choreography.

The storyline is incredibly bleak (in a good way) and at the end of the film we have to say goodbye to some major figures that we have all come to love the previous 2 films. In face, given the amount of characters killed off, we can all be assured that there is no chance of a sequel, as there are no significant characters left to carry on the franchise.

Expect a "To Live and Die In LA" type of superhero film where heroes unexpectedly die. This isn't the traditional Hollywood blockbuster where the good guy lives and the bad guy dies.
  29. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight truly rises in this final instalment of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. I followed quite closely the production of the film and could not contain my excitement that overflowed at the Midnight screening here in Australia. Christopher Nolan surpassed all my expectations and left me with a feeling of deep satisfaction and contentment. The thing that stood out for meThe Dark Knight truly rises in this final instalment of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. I followed quite closely the production of the film and could not contain my excitement that overflowed at the Midnight screening here in Australia. Christopher Nolan surpassed all my expectations and left me with a feeling of deep satisfaction and contentment. The thing that stood out for me was that this film does not try to equal or better 2008's The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises simply compliments the film. It is different in many areas, but these do not in anyway lessen the experience. Christopher Nolan has taken a series that was left in critical and financial darkness and has brought it back from the ashes. Bane is one of the greatest villains to grace our screens and is a perfect match for an instantly recognisable Dark Knight. I have kept in mind that the film is still fresh and audiences around the world are queuing to experience this cinematic masterpiece. I will leave on this not, Do not expect a retelling of the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises is a film all on its own. This film concludes what has become one of the greatest franchises in modern cinema history. Thank you Mr Nolan. The Batman can once again walk with his head held high. Expand
  30. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was an outstanding triumph. The direction of the film, the characters, and the action will provide an overall experience that is well worth 11$s for a ticket. To those who compare this to the Avengers; The Avengers is a good movie, but it falls short in many areas that Nolan succeeds. Bane is outstanding, and a certain young detective steals the show. This is the bestThe Dark Knight Rises was an outstanding triumph. The direction of the film, the characters, and the action will provide an overall experience that is well worth 11$s for a ticket. To those who compare this to the Avengers; The Avengers is a good movie, but it falls short in many areas that Nolan succeeds. Bane is outstanding, and a certain young detective steals the show. This is the best Superhero film of the decade, probably ever. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.