8.4

1. Jul 24, 2012
    The dark knight rises is a near perfect movie. Yes I do miss the Joker, but while seeing the movie, I realized that it didn't need it in this story. Bane might not be the biggest and most impressive villain, but the story is one hell of a story. Fans of Batman will surely see all the secrets that are hidden within the movie. I'm not going to spoil anything because I believe you shouldThe dark knight rises is a near perfect movie. Yes I do miss the Joker, but while seeing the movie, I realized that it didn't need it in this story. Bane might not be the biggest and most impressive villain, but the story is one hell of a story. Fans of Batman will surely see all the secrets that are hidden within the movie. I'm not going to spoil anything because I believe you should watch and judge by yourself. I have a few complaints with bane's voice. I couldn't understand everything he said. It's better now than when the original 10 minutes screening was shown in december, but still. Nolan did an incredible job. Yes some things will displease some people, but that's the way with the most anticipated movies: You can't please everyone. there will always be people who love it and others who won't. I think most will really love it and some who'll really hate, but not that much in between. I was one of those who really loved that movie I'll leave it to you to you to judge, but it's a movie you should definitely go and see. well? what are you waiting for? GO! Expand
  2. Jul 26, 2012
    the story confuse me. The movie has some scenes from the other two movies for this reason i confused (maybe). In general, this is the end that deserve to dark knight , i hope some day Cristofer Nolan continue this phenom movie. Additionally the sountrack and the technology that use the film are excellent.
  3. Aug 2, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rise is this years best film. It's not like the Dark Knight good vs. evil yes, that element is there however, it mostly man vs. self. It will take you down many different emotions (if you let it) with a completed ending -not of a hero but, of a story.
  4. Aug 30, 2012
    Whilst it's by no means a bad film, it does worry me that people regard this is as the pinnacle of mainstream entertainment. Some may praise its overbearing seriousness, but for me this feels like a lazy substitute for genuine screenwriting wit and imaginative storytelling. But I could excuse this if Nolan had a flair for action set-pieces. Blockbuster films like TDKR must thrill on theWhilst it's by no means a bad film, it does worry me that people regard this is as the pinnacle of mainstream entertainment. Some may praise its overbearing seriousness, but for me this feels like a lazy substitute for genuine screenwriting wit and imaginative storytelling. But I could excuse this if Nolan had a flair for action set-pieces. Blockbuster films like TDKR must thrill on the action level or they do not serve their purpose. The occasional IMAX shot of spectacle is not a substitute for a well choreographed and inventive action scenes such as most of those in Spielberg's films, Die Hard, or Children of Men - of which numerous spring memorably to mind. The same can't be said for TDKR - apart from the plane hijack, it all seemed a bit of a repetitive haze, and no particular scene had a strong impact. In place of any clever invention using props, environment, choreography and shot selection is a pounding, relentless score and endless punching.

In fact the whole film seems to mainly operate on one pitch, there is very little ebb and flow in the staging of scenes, only plot momentum. For example, when Bane takes Gotham, it is dealt with in a quick montage, so we never get a true sense of the atmosphere of this city overturned (think perhaps Escape from New York). The natural counter to this is to claim Nolan could not make such a scene longer and at the same time tell the story he wanted to in an acceptable timeframe. Therein lies Nolan's problem. He favours dense narratives with multiple characters and subplots over atmosphere and individual scene quality, leading to lots of short scenes, all of them a bit rushed and very few immersive. This would be more acceptable if it was an ensemble drama revealing some great insights into the human condition, but it isn't. It is a film about a man who fights crime in a bat suit. An action film. As such, Nolan's approach does not make for good entertainment.
  5. Jul 23, 2012
    TDKR begins with a bang and continues throughout as a cinematic masterpiece and one of the most powerful conclusions to any story told on film. While it may not be a perfect film, The Dark Knight Rises is likely the closest thing we will get to that until Christopher Nolan
  6. Jul 26, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises even with its flaws, it's the most charming on franchise. Nolan concludes The Dark Knight legend in spectacular fashion with ambitious direction, thoughtful and top-notch performance.
  7. Jul 20, 2012
    A true cinematic masterpiece. It was no where near perfect, but it did so many things right it is hard not to give it a perfect 10. The highlights were Anne Hathaway as catwoman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
  8. Jul 20, 2012
    A decent b movie but compared to its predecessor is woefully lacking of its potential. There were huge plot holes banes voice was odd and had "god" re verb so it sounded like he was everywhere unlike everyone else in the scenes. Several things in the movie were so ridiculous and unneeded I burst out laughing( batmans "where is it like 6 times in a row" and had me asking why? Decent movieA decent b movie but compared to its predecessor is woefully lacking of its potential. There were huge plot holes banes voice was odd and had "god" re verb so it sounded like he was everywhere unlike everyone else in the scenes. Several things in the movie were so ridiculous and unneeded I burst out laughing( batmans "where is it like 6 times in a row" and had me asking why? Decent movie but such a sour bite(in comparison) to finish off an otherwise masterful trilogy. Expand
  9. Jul 20, 2012
    This movie was truly epic! Enjoyed it from start to finish :) Some people say its a bit cliché but its a superhero movie so the formula will be roughly the same. Thought Nolan did a terrific job considering they had to follow up from "Dark Knight" and a superb Heath Ledger (RIP) as the Joker. The music was mind blowing (Thank you Hans Zimmer) and really set the pace/mood throughout.This movie was truly epic! Enjoyed it from start to finish :) Some people say its a bit cliché but its a superhero movie so the formula will be roughly the same. Thought Nolan did a terrific job considering they had to follow up from "Dark Knight" and a superb Heath Ledger (RIP) as the Joker. The music was mind blowing (Thank you Hans Zimmer) and really set the pace/mood throughout. The fight scenes were action packed and the whole trilogy is tied together by different events. Thought the storyline was good also and i liked how they went about it. IF you're skeptical about going to see it i would recommend you go just so you can make up your mind for yourselves. Any Dark Knight/Superhero fans shouldn't be disappointed .

10. Jul 21, 2012
    I had astronomical expectations for this film. I was so happy that not only did it meet my expectations but it blew past them.

I re-watched the previous two films in the trilogy the night before. This movie ties in much more heavily with the first than the second. There's so much awesome plot and character development that connects this to the first film to make it seem larger than life.

The acting was phenomenal and Anne Hathaway's performance as Catwoman was great. This is the kind movie that will leave you awestruck, laughing, and crying all at the same time. (No joke, a huge majority of the theater was crying at one point.)

I saw it at the Lincoln Center Imax (largest screen in the country 100x85 feet or something). This is the only way to see the movie. I felt a part of the dark knight world. Especially the fight scenes between batman and bane. You truly feel every hit that was exchanged. Also the imax resolution was phenomenal. It wasn't watching a movie this was a life experience everyone should have.

Finally for the comparisons. I feel Bane was a better villain than the joker. Joker was awesome for all the chaos and his sick humor, but bane was visceral, ferocious, and extremely intelligent. It just made him more menacing. He even brings Gotham to its knees! As for the Avengers. Two completely different styles of film but the story in this movie as well as the characters and acting were just so much more enjoyable and entertaining than the avengers.

I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did. Also rewatch the previous two films before hand to really see just how well tied in these films are.
  11. Aug 2, 2012
    This movie from beginning to end is the best movie I have ever seen. It has superior action, characters, and climax. It feels like it goes to fast but it is s really long movies, it will leave you wanting more.
  12. Jul 20, 2012
    Best movie of the year!! loved the ending. Bane was crazy as the villian. great way to end this amazing trilogy. props to chris nolan for his astonashing work over the past decade
  13. Jul 20, 2012
    Wow, just wow.

For the Dark Knight Rises to meet my expectations was going to be unbelievably hard, near impossible even, but it succeeded. Its a beautifully shot, awe inspiring epic film making at its best. The new characters mix in brilliantly to the verse and Alfred gives The Dark Knight Rises the depth it so desperately needs. Though the Joker is missed for his anarchy and sheer
    Wow, just wow.

Though the Joker is missed for his anarchy and sheer surprise, its something that just cannot be dwelled on, Heath Ledger died along with the Nolan Joker. Bane is a great and very different villain, he is a ferocious and brutal adversary, Tom Hardy fills his shoes very well and portrays a rather surprising amount of emotion just through his eyes. Anne Hathaway is a scene stealer with her cheeky Selina Kyle, a very different take on Catwoman from Michelle Pfeiffer's. She's playful, fun and above all sexy, something that Anne Hathaway hasn't really portrayed before. But kudos go to Christian Bale who gives it all he has as Batman/Bruce Wayne, he makes the character so fleshed out and above all human and his return to the action in the film is one of the highlights.

What Dark Knight Rises manages to do is keep its long running time light on its feet, with a plot that is both engaging and interesting. It all ties together and comes full circle which is exactly what you want from a third film.

The cinematography and set pieces are just unbelievable, the choice not to use 3D benefits this film, it can stand on its own without this irritating gimmick and hopefully Dark Knight Rises will signal the reemergence of non 3D films and films shot in IMAX instead.

All in all Dark Knight Rises is a must see for fans of the last two film and anyone that likes quality film making. It gave me goosebumps on around six separate occasions, you know it's a good thing when that happens. This trilogy has been nothing short of epic and will live on well past its run at the cinemas.
  14. Jul 21, 2012
    Just saw this movie and it is the best superhero movie ever made, The Avengers is childs play compared to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. Aug 11, 2012
    This movie is directed at 16 year old boys and folks with an IQ below 90. While I enjoyed the previous Dark Knight movies (Nolan has produced and directed well-written stories) the TDKR plot is absurd even for a comic book action movie. The villain (Bane) is mostly masked and his voice was mostly unrecognizable: half-the time it was garbled; the other half is was drown out by the bloodThis movie is directed at 16 year old boys and folks with an IQ below 90. While I enjoyed the previous Dark Knight movies (Nolan has produced and directed well-written stories) the TDKR plot is absurd even for a comic book action movie. The villain (Bane) is mostly masked and his voice was mostly unrecognizable: half-the time it was garbled; the other half is was drown out by the blood oozing from my ears for the sound shaking the theatre. The movie is a chaotic mess from poor character development, to poor writing, to sub-plots that should have been left on the cutting room floor (the prison scene-WTF?) to an ending that is farcical. In this movie I never really cared what happened to Batman (and some very bad things do happen to him) much less connect or identify in any way with any of the characters. Shockingly, the movie makes a half-assed attempt at a political statement when Bane parrots phrases most recently heard from the Occupy movement thereby intentionally or not associating evil with the forces that believe the wealthy and the corporations have screwed the middle and lower classes. Thank god the Police are there to save the day! This movie-and its entire team-is out of ideas and gas. Just like most athletes after signing their big contract, give a director too big a budget and too much praise and you can count on his next work being a POS. Collapse
  16. Jul 23, 2012
    You have to respect that Chistopher Nolan was hesitant about returning to the batman franchise unless he came up with a satisfactory ending. He did. From the opening scene to the final shot, the pace never falters, the set pieces are jaw dropping, and Tom Hardy as Bane is absolutely terrifying. The supporting cast is remarkable, especially Michael Caine who gives one of his greatestYou have to respect that Chistopher Nolan was hesitant about returning to the batman franchise unless he came up with a satisfactory ending. He did. From the opening scene to the final shot, the pace never falters, the set pieces are jaw dropping, and Tom Hardy as Bane is absolutely terrifying. The supporting cast is remarkable, especially Michael Caine who gives one of his greatest performances to date. The ending is simply incredible, every character gets a great end to their story arc, (especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt), and there is a total sense of closure, no loose threads, no plot holes, just complete closure. While some might find Bane a slightly less engaging villain than Heath's Joker, the movie itself, too me at least, easily takes the title of the greatest super hero film in not only the Nolan trilogy, but one of the absolutely greatest films ever made. Expand
  17. Dec 17, 2012
    Even though I am not a huge Batman fan by any means, I could tell this was a disappointing end. It strayed too far away from its hugely bigger and better, The Dark Knight. As a movie by itself, It is good...but it didn't capture the unique quality that made its predecessor far superior. It had an unnecessary complicated plot and felt rushed. This movie is not the height of the series, butEven though I am not a huge Batman fan by any means, I could tell this was a disappointing end. It strayed too far away from its hugely bigger and better, The Dark Knight. As a movie by itself, It is good...but it didn't capture the unique quality that made its predecessor far superior. It had an unnecessary complicated plot and felt rushed. This movie is not the height of the series, but it still well made(for the most part anyway). Expand
  18. Jul 24, 2012
    Wow, The Dark Knight Rises did an amazing job of closing out Chris Nolan's amazing interpretation of the Caped Crusader. The action is top notch, the plot: stunning, and the direction simply spectacular. The cast delivers amazing performances all around, and Michael Caine's Alfred will pull on your heartstrings in nearly every scene. The interpretations of Hardy's Bane and Hathaway's KyleWow, The Dark Knight Rises did an amazing job of closing out Chris Nolan's amazing interpretation of the Caped Crusader. The action is top notch, the plot: stunning, and the direction simply spectacular. The cast delivers amazing performances all around, and Michael Caine's Alfred will pull on your heartstrings in nearly every scene. The interpretations of Hardy's Bane and Hathaway's Kyle are nearly perfect in Nolan's Gotham, with the former posing an intimidating, true rival to Bruce Wayne, and the latter a The breakout star though is Joseph Gordon-Levitt, not gonna say much there but you'll see. The film does take some time "to get in the swing of things", but the setup ultimately enhances the stunning climax of the film and possibly the entire series. Truly an entertaining, edge-of-your-seat, deeply layered, action-packed, emotional thrill-ride that cements Batman's legacy as well of all involved. I recommend repeat viewings so that you can fill in some of those "plot-holes" people keep mentioning IMAX if you can, definitely worth it. Those last few minutes - I don't think I've ever seen a better ending to a film, hyperbole and all. Expand
  19. Jul 27, 2012
    I say the movie is more 8.5 total. Better than "The Amazing Spiderman". Not as good as the second movie in this new batman trilogy. I feel the movie drags a bit in the beginning. The story relates to the first one with no real mention of the Joker for obvious reasons and is difficult to follow at times. But overall the movie very satisfying and is a great ride. The acting is superb allI say the movie is more 8.5 total. Better than "The Amazing Spiderman". Not as good as the second movie in this new batman trilogy. I feel the movie drags a bit in the beginning. The story relates to the first one with no real mention of the Joker for obvious reasons and is difficult to follow at times. But overall the movie very satisfying and is a great ride. The acting is superb all around and the plot actually believable to an extent. See this movie if you haven't already. Expand
  20. Aug 22, 2012
    Let me begin the review with this statement: THIS IS THE BEST SUPERHERO FILM MADE SO FAR! I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me because of the Dark Knight and the idiots are going to call the Avengers the best film but forget it, they're just idiots. I have been waiting since 2008 and have watched the first two films almost a hundred times and after watching this third film,Let me begin the review with this statement: THIS IS THE BEST SUPERHERO FILM MADE SO FAR! I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me because of the Dark Knight and the idiots are going to call the Avengers the best film but forget it, they're just idiots. I have been waiting since 2008 and have watched the first two films almost a hundred times and after watching this third film, I can clearly say that it was worth waiting for! The amount of anticipation and that hype it created was too enormous and it all got paid off. Nobody has ever made superhero films like Christopher Nolan, hence this trilogy is the best superhero trilogy. The acting, the direction, the screenplay, the cinematography, the production design, the costumes, the CGIs, the great cast and not releasing it in 3D being one of the most important things; everything about this film was flawless. Moving on to this film, the epic conclusion, I have no words to explain how happy I felt after watching it. Christian Bale's performance as Batman was mesmerizing as ever. And the way Tom Hardy performed as Bane was just astounding, he kept me terrified throughout the film especially after taking over Gotham city. Another important thing to notice was Bane's character, I read somewhere a couple of days ago that it is a superhero film without a superhero, and this is correct. This film focused more on Bane and the Gotham city. Another interesting part was when Bane actually broke Batman's back and sent him to prison, and then Batman rises again and comes back to save his city, that bit was too awesome. Anne Hathaway shined as Catwoman, I liked her performance as well as Joseph Gordon-Levitt's. Every single person in this film did more than amazing and turned it into a masterpiece. Hats off to Christopher Nolan for giving us a masterpiece, a trilogy that would be remembered for centuries. I would really like if this film gets all the big nominations in the Academy Awards and actually wins the Best Picture. This would be the best thing ever! Expand
  21. Jul 29, 2012
    one of the finest films in many years, tom hardy plays an amazing role as bane and the addition of catwomen only make it better.
  22. Jul 21, 2012
    best superhero movie i have ever seen, maybe even best ever. highly recommend seeing it. people who gave this less than a 9 would not know a movie if it was jammed up their ass.
  23. Jul 23, 2012
    The dark knight rises is a kind of film which blows your mind ........ keeps u engaged for the entire 2 hr 45 min with its emotions and the storyline i can say that those 2 hr 45 min were the best 2 hr 45 min of my entire life nolan created another masterpiece truly an epic conclusion to the dark knight legend and i liked it even more than the dark knight this is the best movie of the year
  24. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. O fim de uma era.
    Foi no meio de uma onda crescente que começa então a se tornar realidade
  25. Jul 20, 2012
    Well I would have to say, the batman suit ruins it for me, not a whole lot of batman in 2:44 minutes, drawn out movie, to me it seemed Christopher Nolan just wanted to be done with batman and that's it, just wasn't enough equal care for the final saga. The bat plane/jet was aweful looking, batman meets battleship meets termitaor salvation plane, the ending was neat, but the batman twist, IWell I would have to say, the batman suit ruins it for me, not a whole lot of batman in 2:44 minutes, drawn out movie, to me it seemed Christopher Nolan just wanted to be done with batman and that's it, just wasn't enough equal care for the final saga. The bat plane/jet was aweful looking, batman meets battleship meets termitaor salvation plane, the ending was neat, but the batman twist, I was and still am confused with, there's just so much more to and for batman! Expand
  26. Jul 20, 2012
    A powerful film which surpasses "The Dark Knight" in almost every way. Newcomers Hardy, Cotillard, Levitt and especially Hathaway do a tremendous job, while Bale gives his best performance as Batman yet. The film is an emotional journey that you will not regret seeing.
  27. Jul 21, 2012
    Before The Dark Knight released I selfishly found myself worried that a pillar of the franchise, Joker, was gone before we had even discovered him. Before seeing The Dark Knight Rises, I again found myself selfishly wondering what story would have been told if we had not lost Heath Ledger. The Dark Knight Rises is its own movie. TDKR has ties to both previous films, which are meant toBefore The Dark Knight released I selfishly found myself worried that a pillar of the franchise, Joker, was gone before we had even discovered him. Before seeing The Dark Knight Rises, I again found myself selfishly wondering what story would have been told if we had not lost Heath Ledger. The Dark Knight Rises is its own movie. TDKR has ties to both previous films, which are meant to drive much of the plot. The mystique of those ties is given up almost immediately in the interest of defining the current state of Gotham and its characters. Where the Joker was wild, Bane lays his cards out for all to see and because of this, mystique and wonderment has no place. We must simply face the undeniable grasp of Bane Expand
  28. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the most anticipated movie of the last few years but can it live up to the hype and top the previous movie, which is probably the greatest super hero movie of all time, or will it go down as another in a long list of threequels which finish a trilogy with a whimper? Thankfully it takes its lead from 'The Dark Knight' and builds on everything that has come beforeThe Dark Knight Rises is the most anticipated movie of the last few years but can it live up to the hype and top the previous movie, which is probably the greatest super hero movie of all time, or will it go down as another in a long list of threequels which finish a trilogy with a whimper? Thankfully it takes its lead from 'The Dark Knight' and builds on everything that has come before and gives us a fitting end to this Batman story. This is movie making on a truly epic scale, using New York to its fullest, with the city being the lifeblood of the film. How it blends aspects of current political and economic strife into its narrative is bold and beautiful to behold which really cements it in reality. The ending will be the one thing that will polarise audiences but I for one loved it, it is poetic and the right ending for this story.

That's not to say that it doesn't have problems, the film takes its time to get going with the first 30 minutes being rather clunky but when Bane sets his plan into motion it all falls into place. Some character beats don't pay off as well as they should and it does feel a little long at almost three hours. The batmobile is sadly not around anymore and his new flying vehicle, The Bat, isn't really a great substitute but it has its moments but all in all these are just little nitpicks in a great film.

Christopher Nolan does what he started out to do and give is an ending to the saga he started and he doesn't disappoint, he is just a great director who will hopefully go onto bigger and better things. The look and feel of the film is different but familiar with cinematographer Wally Pfister, who exclusively works on Nolan
  29. Jul 20, 2012
    Excellent movie. The characters are really interesting and the action is epic. Moving and intelligent. A magnific conclusion for the trilogy. Is better than TDK.
  30. Jul 20, 2012
    one of the best movie ever,without comparing with the prequel it is one of the batman movie ever,good story,better acting and best direction with screenplay,just go and watch it,for me 10/10........

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.