8.4

1. Oct 18, 2014
    It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act. But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile. Expand
  2. Oct 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a film that shot on location where peaceful Occupy protesters were savaged by corrupt police officers. Knowing this, Christopher Nolan tells the story of heroic, perfect cops who fight the EVIL TERRORISTS. Think about what that means for all of the people who gave this film such undeserved praise. That is how we view polite dissenters: The Bad Guys.

Christopher Nolan has made the worst Batman movie of all time for this, and one other reason:

Even forgetting the terrible screenplay and the sluggish acting, this director hinged his entire plot on the detonation of a nuclear bomb that, as we see in the end, couldn't even kill one person who was at ground zero of the blast. And then has the audacity to assume it is a serious, dramatic production.

At least Batman & Robin wasn't ashamed of being retarded.
  3. Oct 9, 2014
    It may not live up to the nearly unreachable heights of it's predecessor, but it's still a well made, suspenseful, and emotionally investing film, and a fitting conclusion to the Chris Nolan era of Batman films. I wish the best of luck to Affleck and Snyder.
  4. Sep 27, 2014
    Después de ver la segunda, esta puede parecer bastante inferior. Y lo es. Pero aun así, la disfruté mucho mas en su segundo visionado y creo que es una obra maestra del cine de superhéroes. Bane no es el joker, pero es un villano decente. El reparto, como siempre, sublime. Quizás le sobra duración pero es una gran película. El final me gustó mucho, una trilogía 10.
  5. Aug 31, 2014
    Following the triumph of The Dark Knight, it takes a lot more than this to surpass it. Yes, Anne Hathaway is a brilliant addition--but not nearly enough to make this a quality film.
  6. Aug 24, 2014
    A strong 3 1/2 stars. I'm hard pressed to take it down from 4, but frankly, I don't feel the good kind of impact just yet.

I'm having a lot of mixed feelings about this movie. Much anticipated on my part, following one of my all-time favorites, "The Dark Knight", perhaps it was a lot of pressure.

Post-movie, I found myself wondering: "Where is Batman?" - because in a movie about the
    caped crusader you would imagine getting a lot of screen time from the man dressed as a big bad bat. I found myself realizing that this movie, all in all, didn't focus on Batman - or even Bruce Wayne - nearly as much as I expected. He was there in spirit, but absent in physical presence.

Anna Hathaway as Selina Kyle (Catwoman) wasn't nearly as impressive as you would think. I just felt like she didn't really have a place in the movie.

Tom Hardy's Bane was big and intimidating (although I missed his own voice when Bane's kept pitching up and down).

Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard, also seen in "Inception" with JGL and Hardy, now that I recall) was a surprise factor, until which point her presence in the movie made me wonder "why?" more than once.

A surprise lies in Joseph Gordon-Lewitt's John Blake (his role just gets better near the end). He got a lot of screen time, and his story seemed more interesting than a lot of the things going on around him. (A special surprise for him near the end!)

Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman as Fox reprise their roles, but are very low-key, as well as Gary Oldman's Gordon.

All in all the story, sadly, was jumpy, feeling like it was patched together from pieces too small, the scenes not cohesive at all and almost hurried. Maybe it was jerked in too many viewpoints at once, or they tried for a different style, but it didn't work for me, at least not in the first viewing. There was a little too much "tell" rather than "show", to pick up the slack.

The sounds were another thing; the music was too loud, as was the theatrical, dark rumbling. They together drowned anything and everything in their way.

So... definitely mixed feelings after the first viewing, but the movie had a lot of small gems scattered all around. It didn't get close to any of the characters, especially Wayne/Batman, although he was battling rather personal demons all along, climbing back from the depression of the last movie.

Bat-fans: check it out. Definitely worth the watch, and it can only get better in future viewings, that I guarantee.
  7. Aug 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This finishes the greatest superhero series of all time in style. It's gripping, dark, realistic, violent, and emotional. It's more intense than any of the other movies in this series, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie when I watched it in theaters. It does have a few issues with continuity, and the plot holes in it give it a 9 instead of a 10.

I thought Bane was almost as good as the Joker, actually. He had his own touch. That voice from Bane was slightly scary, and it was extremely cool. It was so loud, and it was pure awesome. Every scene that Bane was in was a really good scene. The first scene was an introduction to his character, and it all went uphill from that amazing moment. Bane made this movie in a way that was similar to the Joker's presence.

Batman was exceptionally performed, and he gave the movie emotion. Catwoman gave the movie a female force as well. She kicked butt. I thought that there could have been one more street chase/fight before Batman got his back broke by Bane, but the movie was already 3 hours long, so it's ok. By the way, the 3 hour run time didn't bug me one bit. I'd much rather be overexposed to a movie I love than be wishing for more. Overall this is a 9/10.
  8. Aug 3, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises has problems but Christopher Nolan still knows how to make a great superhero movie. Bale continues to be the best Batman, Anne Hathaway is great as Catwoman, and Tom Hardy does a great job as the villain, Bane. The story is great and the action is even better than the other films in the trilogy. Dark Knight Rises' main problem is that it has more than a few plot holes and this actually affects the film a lot. The story, even great, has a few problems as well. Luckily the characters still have you invested in the film. The ending is also one of the best trilogy endings I have ever seen. Even though it might be the weakest in the trilogy, it does a great job in wrapping up the trilogy. Expand
  9. Jul 26, 2014
    the dark knight rises is the epic conclusion to the dark knight trilogy like all the new batman movies it is very well made not as good as the dark knight but still very good.

my ratting 8.6/10 9.2/10 for action 8/10 for acting 8/10 for character development 8.5 for style and 8.7 for story
  10. Jul 11, 2014
    Surprisingly poor follow up to arguably the best comic book movie ever made. Everyone had high expectations on this one. I ve seen twice, once in theatre, once at home. I still have the same feelings about it. It is a pretentious drag and probably Nolan's worst film. Characters bounce in and out it as the plot tries to be complex but its really quiet simple. What surprised me the most I think was how uninspired many of the action sequences. They are just not that good. The movie also relays on cliche plot devices, like a bomb that takes about a day an half to go off?? Then you have Bane who tries to come off as a eloquent bad a, but he just sounds silly most of the time. He has no poison addiction either which was featured in the comics. He is mostly just a psychotic brute in the comics anyway. They also make up an origin story that I believe was not featured in the comics. As you can tell I couldn't stand this movie, That is enough. Expand
  11. Jul 8, 2014
    great end for the trilogy movies of all time. I really liked this movie. I have to say that Bane (tom hardy) is the best super Villain I see, the movie gived me everything I ever wanted to see in a batman movie
  12. Jul 8, 2014
    The final film with our beloved Batman is both awesome, stunning and furious.

Just as The Dark Knight, we have another incredible well made movie from Christopher Nolan and he keeps me heavily entertained. Just as the previous film, it suffers with a slow amount of action and to much conversations, but in the end is The Dark Knight Rises a hell of a movie, and it might have one of the
    best endings I’ve ever seen.

Not as stunning as The Dark Knight, but it's still a masterpiece.

The Dark Knight Rises gets a 9/10
  13. Jun 29, 2014
    One of the most entertaining movies ever! Bane's voice is terrifying, Catwoman is hot and Batman is spectacular in his return to the cinema. This is a epic movie filled with plot twists, inspiring scenes and an intense soundtrack!
  14. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have seen the last two films in this trilogy and the Dark Knight was a powerful film.
    Review:
    Pros: A generally great film.
    Cons: Film was let down by an unrealistic medical miracle and a poorly timed nuclear device that explodes in film/TV time.
    4.5/5 - Good enough to watch it in the cinema and perhaps to buy the DVD.
  15. Jun 11, 2014
    *sigh* disappointing movie. Here's My four main Gripes with this movie: Questionable moments, Poorly past, rushed ending, and Bane and cat woman are both uninteresting. It's like they took the realism and kicked it to the curb because there are so many moments that just don't fit at all . Ya sure the movie will bring you entertainment, but when you really think about it. It will disappoint you and make you mad. Expand
  16. May 23, 2014
    This movie is every bit as pretentious, dull and comically serious as The Dark Knight. Only it's a lot dumber and has dialogue so bad, even some 5th graders could write better. It boggles my mind that some people call this movie "cerebral". If you had to actually think to understand something in this movie, your IQ is probably not very high. Try not to overload your brain with this amazing masterpiece of complex screenwriting. Expand
  17. May 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Things wrong with TDKR:
    *Way too many characters
    *Plot built on ludicrous underground tunnel network
    *Referring back to the League of Shadows and the first movie. TDK didn't. Batman begins was a good movie, but it's time to move on.
    *Ludicrous dystopian society emerges in Gotham within weeks
    *Bane getting killed in the background of a shot.
    *Pretty much everything Bane said and did before getting killed.
    *The cops are apparently now saints (a bizarre 360 from the first two films)
    *Ludicrous Asian hole-prison with an easy escape that everyone ignores
    *Rope-based chiropractic
    *Impossible escape from an exploding nuke whose fallout should irradiate the entire area.
    *Ludicrous finance market machinations. Apparently, breaking into a stock exchange doesn't give us the ability to reverse any transactions conducted during that time.
    *James Newton Howard is missing. The Hans Zimmer stuff is as pulse-pounding as always, but the class and the intimacy conveyed by the Howard sections of the scores of earlier films is sorely missed.
    *Ludicrous CGI flying bat-vehicle.
    *Bruce Wayne is apparently a horrible judge of character, and gets betrayed by everyone he knows at some point
    *Ludicrous conflict between Bruce and Alfred completely contradicts characterizations from earlier films
    *No mention of the Joker.

Things right with TDKR:
    *Catwoman (played with just the right degree of subtlety)
    *Eh, not a whole lot else.
  18. May 11, 2014
    You can say what you want about this film, but I found it to be an enjoyable experience and a great way to end this trilogy. Like the predecessors, TDKR is full of a lot of intense action and thrills; I though Bane was a cool and intimidating antagonist, Christian Bale was good as always. One thing I didn't like this film (and this flaw also applied to a certain other superhero movie that came out the following year *cough cough*Iron Man 3*cough*) is you will not see a lot of Batman in this film, but a lot more Bruce Wayne which kind of through me off a bit; also the ending is a bit confusing (and maybe a little rushed). Aside those things, Nolan's 3rd Batman flim was pretty enjoyable. Expand
  19. May 11, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises had a lot to live up to considering the success of Batman Begins and particularly The Dark Knight. Sadly it does't quite do so. Nolan's 3rd installment in The Dark Knight Trilogy is very VERY poorly written. There are a lot of unaddressed issues, Plot contrivances and Plot holes. A lot of stuff just doesn't add up and doesn't make much sense. It's not well paced. All 3 acts suffer from severe problems. But there are some positives. The performances were decent and the cinematography was good but overall it doesn't really qualify as a good film. The Dark Knight Rises let down what could've been one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time. Expand
  20. May 6, 2014
    Y'know that joke that became popular on the internet that involved Batman performing the impossible or doing something nonsensical and explaining it with "'Cause I'm Batman!"? I think Chris Nolan was actually taking that really seriously. This film is entertaining the first time you watch it but the more time passes and the more you think about it the more it will get under your skin with a senseless plot riddled with holes. Getting the good out of the way early: the acting is brilliant. There isn't a bad performance in this film. Now that we're done with the good let's get onto all the unanswered questions in The Dark Knight Rises.
    How does Batman abseil down the side of a building after being told he has no cartilage in his knee?
    How did it take him 8 years to find out about this lack of cartilage?
    How come it hinders his ability to walk but abseiling is fine?
    What the hell is the magic robo knee brace?
    If it allows him to kick through solid brick then why does he never kick Bane when he's fighting him and break his freaking ribs?
    When Bane takes away his Batsuit then why doesn't he take the magic robo knee brace too when he throws him into the big hole prison?
    Where the hell is the big hole prison supposed to be?
    Why was Bane in there?
    Why was he so protective of Talia?
    Why did everyone else attack him?
    What happened to his face?
    Why does he need the mask?
    Where did he get it?
    Why does it hurt when it's broken?
    How does being punched in the spine completely heal a broken back in less than 3 months?
    How does falling from a great height and being caught by a rope tightly wrapped around his waist not break Batmans back all over again? Or just kill him?
    How did Bane and his goons sneak motorcycles into the stock exchange?
    How does nobody find the flying batmobile when it's left unattended in Gotham for months?
    Why does Gordon send every cop in the city underground at the same time?
    Why does Bane keep those cops alive instead of just killing them? He's literally sending them care packages, why does he need them alive?
    How does Batman get from the big hole prison into the heavily guarded Gotham city with no idea where he is, no money, no transport, no method of contact to anybody and nobody knowing where he is?
    Where and when did he get that clean slate thing for Catwoman?
    When the unarmed cops charge the heavily armed army of Bane goons how do they not all get massacred by the guns and freaking tanks firing at them?
    If Talia was really the bad guy then why did she help the good guys several times before the big reveal?
    For that matter why didn't she just kill Batman when she was in his house and had the element of surprise? Or just kill when she stabbed him? If her plan was to blow up Gotham either way then why did she drag it out for 3 months?
    How does Batman get from the flying Batmobile to some other unspecified location in less than 3 seconds before the nuke explodes?
    Even in the highly unlikely scenario that he flew the nuke far enough away to have Gotham out of the blast radius wouldn't the radiation still kill everyone?
    How does nobody notice the incredibly famous recently dead guy sitting out in the open in a cafe in Florence?
    How did none of these questions occur to Chris Nolan before this film was finished production?
  21. May 4, 2014
    The Dark Knight Trilogy makes it to the finish line, bucking the system of many superhero trilogies, along with a couple of high-profiled ones as well.
  22. May 3, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises was one of the few successfull trilogies to have all three parts being enjoyable. While this sequel doesnt quite match the previous its still a fun ride and a great film. yes it has problems alot. but the overall effect and what the movie does right heavily outweighs the wrong. It is a great conclusion to the trilogy.
  23. May 1, 2014
    Like another review said, this movie is not terrible by any means, but it's not good either. It's rather bland and mediocre. I can't think of a single scene that stands out for me, versus the many great scenes from Dark Knight.

The action is meh as well, nothing really great. The plot is very convoluted (too many things happening, a lot of plot holes, jumps in time, poor writing, etc)
    and there are too many characters, most of which we don't really end up caring about. Robin seems like an almost useless character, and Catwoman never rises above being a sexy stereotypical woman in a bodytight suit. Meanwhile I feel like we don't even see enough Batman. The whole sequence at the prison is also really boring and silly, and the ending of the film is very weak. Expand
  24. Apr 30, 2014
    This is not as good as The Dark Knight as many movie goers can agree with me. The running time may seem extremely long (2:45) but you wish that it was just a little longer. I own The Dark Knight Trilogy all on blu ray and it annoys me how the IMAX switches on and off during action scenes. That is probably the biggest complaint I have with this movie. This is the largest in scale which is a better setup than the last two movies. This is a great movie for any Batman fan. Expand
  25. Apr 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not going to waist my time and say its not as good as the Dark Knight because I would be missing the point. The fact that Nolan's films transcend their genre and are relatable to anyone and everyone, in my mind at least, serves as no reason to punish them for not always transcending their genre. Ultimately it is what it is and will reward fans of the previous films as well as newcomers. Just don't let misguided critics get in the way of you watching it. Acting wise there was a big void to fill with Ledgers absence but, a double helping of bad guys brilliantly portrayed by, Hardy and Hathaway definitely fill the void. The film thrills as much as the previous films and even more considering the affection the audience now has with the characters. Look people will always flout the ending, but don't let them ruin it for you the ending is perfect if a little to perfect, but it did what it needed to do and rounded up the last 2 films superbly with cheeky references to previous films.
    Ultimately a worthy successor to the Dark Knight and there's no higher praise than that.
  26. Apr 27, 2014
    There was some dumb plot holes but overall the fight scenes between Batman and Bane were awesome. The pacing, acting, and quality of the film was fantastic.
  27. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie was such as disappointment to me. I liked it, but I wanted to love it like I loved the original Dark Knight. Like I loved Batman Begins. But this film had so many issues. There were so many plot holes, Batman just wasn't there, Bane never shut up and I saw the twist coming from a mile away. Also the ending as a slap in the face. But it wasn't all bad. The idea behind the story is great, the acting is awesome (even Tom Hardy did great as Bane, even though he monologued WAY too much), the fight scenes are pretty good and the music was amazing. But overall, I've never been this disappointed in a movie. Expand
  28. Apr 19, 2014
    A great, great movie. Not as good as the dark knight in my opinion but still one of my all time favourite movies. Awesome fight scenes especially including bane and just the right amount of dialogue in it too. And the ending is absolutely amazing and one of the best endings to a movie I have ever seen. Can't wait for the next Batman movie.
  29. Apr 4, 2014
    the batman series is not so exciting . the movie is fun and a rockstar hit . " christian bale is wonderful playin the one and only batman ..........................
    Grade A
  30. Mar 26, 2014
    The Dark Knight is one of the best movies I've seen, and I saw 3 TIMES The Dark Knight Rises one the movie theater, but I have to say, now that is on HBO, I can tolarate even 3 minutes watching it, it is the most stupid super hero movie I ever seen... It sucks, but don't get me wrong, I would see it again on the theater even If I don't know why...

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.