8.4

1. Aug 1, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is a brilliant summer blockbuster that succeeds responding its massive hype by gloriously ending The Dark Knight Trilogy. Despite some stretched-out plot holes and cliches the movie's story-line is tight and packed with visual eye candy, stuff that you gotta watch in IMAX. Most of the actors from "Inception" are brought down into the film and they boast solid"The Dark Knight Rises" is a brilliant summer blockbuster that succeeds responding its massive hype by gloriously ending The Dark Knight Trilogy. Despite some stretched-out plot holes and cliches the movie's story-line is tight and packed with visual eye candy, stuff that you gotta watch in IMAX. Most of the actors from "Inception" are brought down into the film and they boast solid performances. The tone of the movie isn't as dark as "The Dark Knight", but it still is mature and realistic (in a sense...). However what Christopher Nolan hit dead right was, in my opinion. the ending. I won't spoil anything but I can say that the ending is very refreshing and interesting; it's different from the usual linear endings brainless Hollywood blockbuster directors/producers think of. Long story short, WATCH IT. It's not quite the same level as of "The Dark Knight", but it has big scope visual eye-pleasers as well as a somewhat sensational and wise ending; a finishing touch for director Nolan's epic trilogy of the lonesome dark knight. Expand
  2. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was gloriously the best moment of my life in a movie theatre. It stands alone, peerless in the pantheon of superhero movies. There will be no spoilers here and if the impulse to spoil yourself before watching the film is too excruciating to bear, remember this, it'll be the equivalent of Selina Kyle robbing you blind. When Batman Begins came out, I was very scepticalThe Dark Knight Rises was gloriously the best moment of my life in a movie theatre. It stands alone, peerless in the pantheon of superhero movies. There will be no spoilers here and if the impulse to spoil yourself before watching the film is too excruciating to bear, remember this, it'll be the equivalent of Selina Kyle robbing you blind. When Batman Begins came out, I was very sceptical about watching another one of those Batman flicks, such is the enduring traumatic impression Joel Schumacher's films left me. Thank goodness I did and from that point on there's no turning back. Christopher Nolan's finale made all the recently released superhero movies look like child's play to be honest, it is the appetizer to the main course that is the final chapter of The Dark Knight trilogy. The typical critique of Chris Nolan's movies is that it might be too cerebral for the casual moviegoer, no it's not. His films are universal, it's so well-layered, directed towards everyone. If you're more of the "intellectual genre" you'll notice the political undertones and social commentaries and what have you, but even if it goes over your head, it doesn't detract your experience from the film. Fanatic fans of the Batman comics will love all the little nods and references, even the major ones from the comic books thoughtfully implemented throughout the film.
    Christian Bale is just magnificent, as he puts it he plays three characters, the billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, the true persona of Bruce Wayne still grieving the lost of his parents and the Batman. He's the defining actor of The Dark Knight, his portrayal of all these characters are just perfect and even though he's a man dressing up at night as a bat beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands, we empathise with him. Returning inhabitants of Gotham and Bruce's fundamental foundation of his lifestyle is Gary Oldman's aged and weary morally-strayed Commissioner Jim Gordon, the Q to Batman's James Bond, Lucius Fox and possibly a Best Supporting Actor nominee perhaps, the closest thing to a father figure Bruce can get, his moral compass, oozing with words of wisdom, Michael Caine's Alfred Pennyworth. Scenes between the trio are so poignant, beautifully crafted and presented, it's so hard to watch without getting a lump in your throat, to describe it as tear-jerking ia an understatement. One of the newcomers is Joseph Gordon-Levitt's solid portrayal of beat cop John Blake and Marion Cotillard's enviromentalist Miranda Tate. The chief antagonist is Tom Hardy's full time terrorist Bane, He's frightening to watch, Tom embodies and embraces the sheer brutality and monstrosity of "the mercenary" flawlessly with half his face covered up, the way he conveys his emotions with only his eyes is amazing. Anne Hathaway's morally ambiguous Selina Kyle is a wild card, it's really fun to watch the development and chemistry between Bruce/Selina and Batman/the cat burglar. The 2 hours and 44 minutes running time didn't feel long at all, the story flows seamlessly as it comes full circle with flashbacks from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, it's all beautifully balanced between the intimate moments of character development that's unusual in a summer blockbuster film and the really elaborate and simply put awesome all-out war action sequences and the choreography of the brawls between Batman and Bane is much improved than the previous films. The most important element of The Dark Knight Rises however and what makes it a gem is that it manages to amp up the suspense and anxiety to incredible heights knowing that every single character is dispensable including the Batman. When was the last time you watched a superhero film and feel a genuine concern that our hero is not going to come out alive? Exactly.
    Thank you Christopher Nolan for not giving in to the public and I'm assuming studio demands to continue this magnificent 7-year journey we have all been through together, to truly end this great vision of the legend with integrity, to give this great story a great and true conclusion to let the Batman ride off into the sunset if you will. It was the ending this iconic character deserved. And to anyone who thinks the Rises in The Dark Knight Rises is just a convenient way to name the film, it makes complete sense, it
  3. Jul 20, 2012
    It is an amazing film.Although Tom Hardy as Bale isn't able to match the performance of Heath Ledger as the Joker, but he gives a very solid performance.The acting of Bale too is great along with a brilliant plot.I think it really is the epic conclusion to the Batman Trilogy.Thanks Nolan for this film:)
  4. Jul 20, 2012
    This movie was an absolute perfect conclusion to the batman trilogy. It had action emotions effects and an incredible story. The acting and directing were captivating and harmonious and The fight scenes were thrilling. I could not have asked for a better conclusion.
  5. Jul 20, 2012
    The movie content is fantastic. Must see,btw. It's one of a kind. Christian Bale did it again , hope it tops the charts yet again .Guys please try and give it a 10/10 rating , I just want this movie to break all records and set its position on cloud nine.
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    awsome movie. i was shocked at bane character ! nice plot. critical thinking. i love bruce wayne spirit. i can feel the pain.uhhh....anyway..4 years i wait for this sequel.....wow....i was so happy last nite..most of the audience clap hands at the end...thank you NOLAN..
  7. Jul 20, 2012
    Okay, Marvel fanboy here, and I'm saying that the Avengers was just surpassed here. Let's be real, The Avengers was a cheesy explosion of special effects. A very good one, but it doesn't match the gripping emotions, the stellar acting, and grand directing of this film. The Avengers is great pop culture entertainment, Rises is simply great CINEMA.
  8. Jul 21, 2012
    I don't usually review films but felt compelled to with this. I won't say much as it's all pretty much been said but it was the perfect to ending to a perfect trilogy & for me has sealed Nolan's place as one of Hollywood's greats.
  9. Jul 20, 2012
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the best Batman movie ever. The action, scale, and emotion involved is breathtaking. Bane rivals the Joker as one of the best villains I have ever seen. This movie will have you on the edge of your seat and keep you holding your breath the entire time.
  10. Jul 20, 2012
    Now I see it, it sounds like batman's struggle against the Avengers. but there is no point of comparison, because batman does not compare to the movie of the advengers child.
  11. Jul 20, 2012
    Incredible and satisfying end to the Dark Knight trilogy. This is as good or better than the previous movie, and it is probably the best way they could have ended the series. The acting is great, the action scenes are amazing, the music is epic, and the story is very well executed. Highly recommended. The best superhero movie since the Dark Knight, and perhaps the best of all time.
  12. Jul 20, 2012
    The movie is about equal to the dark knight, which is a superb thing. the start is kind of slow and there are a few minor unexplained things, but just an overall brilliant film. the ending is the best i have ever seen in a film!
  13. Jul 20, 2012
    The production values are brilliant. Camera, costumes, sets, production design and the rest are superior and, with the roller coaster ride Nolan gives us, make the 164-minute film fly by. My Favorite batman Flim yes Better than TDK :)
  14. Jul 20, 2012
    Just when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is aJust when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is a genius and a mastermind. He has just created the best trilogy ever! I'm sad to see it end but at the same time i have to give a hand for Mr. Nolan and the amazing work he has done and its a good thing he doesn't overdo it and he knows that, one of the reasons why he "ends" it with "The Dark Knight Rises". Whether you're a Batman fan or not, you simply must enjoy this film because it is a pure stroke of genius. Everybody needs to witness this awesome, pulse-pounding, heartracing, and exciting film. Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt (who was amazing especially) Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine all had outstanding performances in this movie. This movie in every sense of a way deserves a 10/10. The Dark Knight Rises will leave you with your mind completely blown, and the people who have already seen it know exactly why i say this. Now stop reading this review and go witness Christopher Nolans latest and last Masterpiece of our favorite vigilante "The Batman". Expand
  15. Jul 20, 2012
    Chris Nolan did it again. The dark knight rises topped the the dark knight. Rises had the best cast and best plot making for a entertaining edge of your seat summer block busting box office hit. I would recommend seeing it and i will see it again.
  16. May 12, 2013
    Its between The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Better than Batman Begins but worse than the Dark Knight. I really liked the ending though.
  17. Aug 12, 2012
    When I first saw this film, I stood up and said how lame it was. But after finding that so many other people liked it, I went back, and yeah, it worked much better for me. But I had to concentrate so hard. Medication side-effects means that short-term memory loss is going to hit me in this kind of situation, and the fact that there are so many new characters didn't always work in myWhen I first saw this film, I stood up and said how lame it was. But after finding that so many other people liked it, I went back, and yeah, it worked much better for me. But I had to concentrate so hard. Medication side-effects means that short-term memory loss is going to hit me in this kind of situation, and the fact that there are so many new characters didn't always work in my favour. But there are good visual effects, Bane works well as an evil character, a certain naughty cat burglar wheres a lovely little outfit and I'll probably buy it on DVD to finish off my collection of the trilogy. Expand
  18. Apr 7, 2013
    For me this is really an extremely over-hyped movie. and thanks to the hype it led me to be a bit disappointed. For a movie about Batman, Batman isn't really in it that much. Tom Hardy does a great job of portraying Bane & Anna Hathaway is a fantastic Catwoman. But even with top end effects and great acting, it does not save it from some sloppy writing. So much detail went inot almostFor me this is really an extremely over-hyped movie. and thanks to the hype it led me to be a bit disappointed. For a movie about Batman, Batman isn't really in it that much. Tom Hardy does a great job of portraying Bane & Anna Hathaway is a fantastic Catwoman. But even with top end effects and great acting, it does not save it from some sloppy writing. So much detail went inot almost everything in this movie, yet there are so many plot holes and "convenient" occurrences to give this film the credibility it desperately wants. On top of that, it has soooo much padding that it feels like it goes on forever. This movie could easily have been cut down to a more reasonable running time. Still, I digress. I still think it is a great movie. Not as good as the previous one but better than all the other batman movies (aside from Tim Burton's Batman.)

Overall: Dark Knight Rises perhaps tries to do too much and in that gets a little lost at times. Still, Nolan did succeed to make an epic ending to his saga and I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
  19. Dec 17, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is an immensely satisfying conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy although it doesn't really match up to the heights of its predecessor.
  20. Jul 10, 2013
    The conclusion to the great comic-book franchise is a memorable one. Although it did sums up some of the background story from previous Batman movies, there were some boring moments. Batman will always be an epic icon to the comic-book world among other heroes. The music on the other hand by Hans Zimmer are his best ones so far.
  21. Aug 6, 2012
    The caped crusader returns back to entertain in The Dark Knight Rises. Here is my take on the last installment of the trilogy (Nolan
  22. Aug 2, 2012
    Went 2 points from being a 10! reason why -1 the villain cmon... i wanted more wheres killer crock? o well whatever, Second -1 catwoman wanna be? really? jeez whatever again. Good movie just wish they polished some ends.
  23. Aug 1, 2012
    I say this is a good movie, slow build up, just how I like it but never boring. For my taste this is one is a whole level better than the previous Batman movies, cos for some reason I never got really into the "groove" with them - In "Dark Knight" the Joker was brilliant but that didn't make the movie for me, but now with Dark Knight Rises you get more sucked in and you are moreI say this is a good movie, slow build up, just how I like it but never boring. For my taste this is one is a whole level better than the previous Batman movies, cos for some reason I never got really into the "groove" with them - In "Dark Knight" the Joker was brilliant but that didn't make the movie for me, but now with Dark Knight Rises you get more sucked in and you are more interested in the characters and build up of the plot. Bane, the bad guy a-la-carte just oozes with mysterious aura and you listen to every word he says like a curious cat.

Its not a perfect movie but a perfect choice for a successful night of popcorn-eating entertainment ;)
  24. Aug 2, 2012
    Although it was a great movie, it could never live up to it's expectations. Very much on par with the second film though. Great completion to an awesome trilogy.
  25. Aug 5, 2012
    To put it shortly; it's good, but not as good as people make it out to be. The plot is great, the score is superb, the action sequences are mostly top notch, and the actors deliver solid performances. Unfortunately, the movie also contains obvious flaws. It's got a fair few cliches, Bane is not that great of a villain, and the ending doesn't leave enough to the imagination.
  26. Jul 5, 2013
    A 2hr 30min movie and one hell of a movie! It's an amazing and epic last in a trilogy. Whilst I don't think it can ever top the The Dark Knight, it offers an epic, darker edge and emotional story. It shows the rise and fall of Bruce Wayne, once has met his match physically. Nolan makes more epic scale action scenes. His characters are useful and aid Gotham in Batman's absence as Bane whoA 2hr 30min movie and one hell of a movie! It's an amazing and epic last in a trilogy. Whilst I don't think it can ever top the The Dark Knight, it offers an epic, darker edge and emotional story. It shows the rise and fall of Bruce Wayne, once has met his match physically. Nolan makes more epic scale action scenes. His characters are useful and aid Gotham in Batman's absence as Bane who has a deadly presence on screen has Gotham rigged with a nuke. The climax isn't exciting though and pretty dull, though the ending is touching and epic. I like how they tried to introduce a Robin character and acknowledged that the batman could be anyone with the right courage. I think for a last in the series, it does what it should do and wrap everything up into a tie, but there still something holding it back from me but I don't know what. Expand
  27. May 4, 2013
    Although The Dark Knight Rises can't top The Dark Knight, it was a great movie that knew what it was; a worthy closing chapter to a trilogy. TDKR sets the trilogy as the best comic-book trilogy of all time for being just an epic conclusion and a great movie. Although I wasn't happy with some of the plot points, they worked for the movie and can be forgiven dune to the epic action sequences.
  28. May 21, 2013
    Great film, second best of the trilogy after The Dark Knight. Really, it's different to the other films in the trilogy but has some interesting themes.
  29. Sep 9, 2012
    All the suspense and action we have come to expect from Nolan, a great film and certainly a worthy ending to such a successful franchise.
  30. Aug 2, 2012
    London IMAX viewing. Awesome soundtrack, solidly watchable new characters/baddies, plot inconsistencies barely noticeable, top-notch action elements and overall epic conclusion. Not disappointed one bit. And I thought Avengers Assemble was going to be the best flick this year .. hats off Mr Nolan and co.

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.