8.4

1. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was gloriously the best moment of my life in a movie theatre. It stands alone, peerless in the pantheon of superhero movies. There will be no spoilers here and if the impulse to spoil yourself before watching the film is too excruciating to bear, remember this, it'll be the equivalent of Selina Kyle robbing you blind. When Batman Begins came out, I was very scepticalThe Dark Knight Rises was gloriously the best moment of my life in a movie theatre. It stands alone, peerless in the pantheon of superhero movies. There will be no spoilers here and if the impulse to spoil yourself before watching the film is too excruciating to bear, remember this, it'll be the equivalent of Selina Kyle robbing you blind. When Batman Begins came out, I was very sceptical about watching another one of those Batman flicks, such is the enduring traumatic impression Joel Schumacher's films left me. Thank goodness I did and from that point on there's no turning back. Christopher Nolan's finale made all the recently released superhero movies look like child's play to be honest, it is the appetizer to the main course that is the final chapter of The Dark Knight trilogy. The typical critique of Chris Nolan's movies is that it might be too cerebral for the casual moviegoer, no it's not. His films are universal, it's so well-layered, directed towards everyone. If you're more of the "intellectual genre" you'll notice the political undertones and social commentaries and what have you, but even if it goes over your head, it doesn't detract your experience from the film. Fanatic fans of the Batman comics will love all the little nods and references, even the major ones from the comic books thoughtfully implemented throughout the film.
    Christian Bale is just magnificent, as he puts it he plays three characters, the billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, the true persona of Bruce Wayne still grieving the lost of his parents and the Batman. He's the defining actor of The Dark Knight, his portrayal of all these characters are just perfect and even though he's a man dressing up at night as a bat beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands, we empathise with him. Returning inhabitants of Gotham and Bruce's fundamental foundation of his lifestyle is Gary Oldman's aged and weary morally-strayed Commissioner Jim Gordon, the Q to Batman's James Bond, Lucius Fox and possibly a Best Supporting Actor nominee perhaps, the closest thing to a father figure Bruce can get, his moral compass, oozing with words of wisdom, Michael Caine's Alfred Pennyworth. Scenes between the trio are so poignant, beautifully crafted and presented, it's so hard to watch without getting a lump in your throat, to describe it as tear-jerking ia an understatement. One of the newcomers is Joseph Gordon-Levitt's solid portrayal of beat cop John Blake and Marion Cotillard's enviromentalist Miranda Tate. The chief antagonist is Tom Hardy's full time terrorist Bane, He's frightening to watch, Tom embodies and embraces the sheer brutality and monstrosity of "the mercenary" flawlessly with half his face covered up, the way he conveys his emotions with only his eyes is amazing. Anne Hathaway's morally ambiguous Selina Kyle is a wild card, it's really fun to watch the development and chemistry between Bruce/Selina and Batman/the cat burglar. The 2 hours and 44 minutes running time didn't feel long at all, the story flows seamlessly as it comes full circle with flashbacks from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, it's all beautifully balanced between the intimate moments of character development that's unusual in a summer blockbuster film and the really elaborate and simply put awesome all-out war action sequences and the choreography of the brawls between Batman and Bane is much improved than the previous films. The most important element of The Dark Knight Rises however and what makes it a gem is that it manages to amp up the suspense and anxiety to incredible heights knowing that every single character is dispensable including the Batman. When was the last time you watched a superhero film and feel a genuine concern that our hero is not going to come out alive? Exactly.
    Thank you Christopher Nolan for not giving in to the public and I'm assuming studio demands to continue this magnificent 7-year journey we have all been through together, to truly end this great vision of the legend with integrity, to give this great story a great and true conclusion to let the Batman ride off into the sunset if you will. It was the ending this iconic character deserved. And to anyone who thinks the Rises in The Dark Knight Rises is just a convenient way to name the film, it makes complete sense, it
  2. Jul 20, 2012
    It is an amazing film.Although Tom Hardy as Bale isn't able to match the performance of Heath Ledger as the Joker, but he gives a very solid performance.The acting of Bale too is great along with a brilliant plot.I think it really is the epic conclusion to the Batman Trilogy.Thanks Nolan for this film:)
  3. Jul 20, 2012
    This movie was an absolute perfect conclusion to the batman trilogy. It had action emotions effects and an incredible story. The acting and directing were captivating and harmonious and The fight scenes were thrilling. I could not have asked for a better conclusion.
  4. Jul 20, 2012
    The movie content is fantastic. Must see,btw. It's one of a kind. Christian Bale did it again , hope it tops the charts yet again .Guys please try and give it a 10/10 rating , I just want this movie to break all records and set its position on cloud nine.
  5. Jul 20, 2012
    awsome movie. i was shocked at bane character ! nice plot. critical thinking. i love bruce wayne spirit. i can feel the pain.uhhh....anyway..4 years i wait for this sequel.....wow....i was so happy last nite..most of the audience clap hands at the end...thank you NOLAN..
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    Okay, Marvel fanboy here, and I'm saying that the Avengers was just surpassed here. Let's be real, The Avengers was a cheesy explosion of special effects. A very good one, but it doesn't match the gripping emotions, the stellar acting, and grand directing of this film. The Avengers is great pop culture entertainment, Rises is simply great CINEMA.
  7. Jul 21, 2012
    I don't usually review films but felt compelled to with this. I won't say much as it's all pretty much been said but it was the perfect to ending to a perfect trilogy & for me has sealed Nolan's place as one of Hollywood's greats.
  8. Jul 20, 2012
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the best Batman movie ever. The action, scale, and emotion involved is breathtaking. Bane rivals the Joker as one of the best villains I have ever seen. This movie will have you on the edge of your seat and keep you holding your breath the entire time.
  9. Jul 20, 2012
    Now I see it, it sounds like batman's struggle against the Avengers. but there is no point of comparison, because batman does not compare to the movie of the advengers child.
  10. Jul 20, 2012
    Incredible and satisfying end to the Dark Knight trilogy. This is as good or better than the previous movie, and it is probably the best way they could have ended the series. The acting is great, the action scenes are amazing, the music is epic, and the story is very well executed. Highly recommended. The best superhero movie since the Dark Knight, and perhaps the best of all time.
  11. Jul 20, 2012
    The movie is about equal to the dark knight, which is a superb thing. the start is kind of slow and there are a few minor unexplained things, but just an overall brilliant film. the ending is the best i have ever seen in a film!
  12. Jul 20, 2012
    The production values are brilliant. Camera, costumes, sets, production design and the rest are superior and, with the roller coaster ride Nolan gives us, make the 164-minute film fly by. My Favorite batman Flim yes Better than TDK :)
  13. Jul 20, 2012
    Just when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is aJust when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is a genius and a mastermind. He has just created the best trilogy ever! I'm sad to see it end but at the same time i have to give a hand for Mr. Nolan and the amazing work he has done and its a good thing he doesn't overdo it and he knows that, one of the reasons why he "ends" it with "The Dark Knight Rises". Whether you're a Batman fan or not, you simply must enjoy this film because it is a pure stroke of genius. Everybody needs to witness this awesome, pulse-pounding, heartracing, and exciting film. Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt (who was amazing especially) Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine all had outstanding performances in this movie. This movie in every sense of a way deserves a 10/10. The Dark Knight Rises will leave you with your mind completely blown, and the people who have already seen it know exactly why i say this. Now stop reading this review and go witness Christopher Nolans latest and last Masterpiece of our favorite vigilante "The Batman". Expand
  14. Jul 20, 2012
    Chris Nolan did it again. The dark knight rises topped the the dark knight. Rises had the best cast and best plot making for a entertaining edge of your seat summer block busting box office hit. I would recommend seeing it and i will see it again.
  15. May 12, 2013
    Its between The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Better than Batman Begins but worse than the Dark Knight. I really liked the ending though.
  16. Dec 17, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is an immensely satisfying conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy although it doesn't really match up to the heights of its predecessor.
  17. May 4, 2013
    Although The Dark Knight Rises can't top The Dark Knight, it was a great movie that knew what it was; a worthy closing chapter to a trilogy. TDKR sets the trilogy as the best comic-book trilogy of all time for being just an epic conclusion and a great movie. Although I wasn't happy with some of the plot points, they worked for the movie and can be forgiven dune to the epic action sequences.
  18. May 21, 2013
    Great film, second best of the trilogy after The Dark Knight. Really, it's different to the other films in the trilogy but has some interesting themes.
  19. Sep 9, 2012
    All the suspense and action we have come to expect from Nolan, a great film and certainly a worthy ending to such a successful franchise.
  20. Aug 2, 2012
    London IMAX viewing. Awesome soundtrack, solidly watchable new characters/baddies, plot inconsistencies barely noticeable, top-notch action elements and overall epic conclusion. Not disappointed one bit. And I thought Avengers Assemble was going to be the best flick this year .. hats off Mr Nolan and co.
  21. Aug 9, 2012
    Many thought this movie was hard to follow, and introduced too many new characters, I disagree completely. this movie was action-packed, and beautifully done. Nolan created a mater piece of effects, acting and suspense. The second movie with joker was terrifying, emotional and amazing, but it nothing compared to this one. This one is so much more, action, emotion, terror, and a touch ofMany thought this movie was hard to follow, and introduced too many new characters, I disagree completely. this movie was action-packed, and beautifully done. Nolan created a mater piece of effects, acting and suspense. The second movie with joker was terrifying, emotional and amazing, but it nothing compared to this one. This one is so much more, action, emotion, terror, and a touch of humor. This movie is one for the ages and will last forever. Expand
  22. Aug 22, 2012
    This is one hell of a conclusion to the best superhero franchise of all time. The bar is set so high that its going to take a lot to top it. This franchise managed to pit all this in reality and that is what makes it so chilling. When it comes to Bane he is as great as the Joker with an added bonus that you really feel scared that the bat may not make it out of this one. Hardy is great butThis is one hell of a conclusion to the best superhero franchise of all time. The bar is set so high that its going to take a lot to top it. This franchise managed to pit all this in reality and that is what makes it so chilling. When it comes to Bane he is as great as the Joker with an added bonus that you really feel scared that the bat may not make it out of this one. Hardy is great but I personally think that nobody topples Caine as Alfred. All his scenes are memorable to say the least. Bale is just as great, playing Batman as a kick ass with the right amount of frailty add that realistic touch. Gordon-Levitt also adds that dashing look even tough his role is hardly glamorous. If you really want to nit pick you can say that some scenes are a bit over the top, but that is just that nit picking at what's one of the greatest movies of the year. Anne is also superb as Catwoman adding spice to an already delicious recipe. There are surprising twists and those that are not, but all of them are executed with grace and excellent in their own regard. As a whole this is a fitting conclusion to the Bat. Expand
  23. Jul 23, 2012
    I have seen two great super hero movies this year; this and Chronicle. Before I saw this movie I was figuring Chronicle was going to be the best of the year. This movie blew that out of the water. It did this basically with pure scale. I have not seen any other super hero that can match this one. This film basically gets everything right. Unlike a recent super hero film The Avengers, TDKRI have seen two great super hero movies this year; this and Chronicle. Before I saw this movie I was figuring Chronicle was going to be the best of the year. This movie blew that out of the water. It did this basically with pure scale. I have not seen any other super hero that can match this one. This film basically gets everything right. Unlike a recent super hero film The Avengers, TDKR is dark. I know that not every one likes a dark film, but I'm not writing this as them. I really did feel tense in this movie. The final sequences are basically on the epic scale of Lord of the Rings. I hope that Super Man is this good. I did see the trailer for that and well it looks like a good film. Expand
  24. Jul 31, 2012
    A powerfull film. Una pelicula poderosa, con la capacidad de hipnotizar a quien no busca tecnica pura o guiones perfectos. Simplemente es una pelicula para disfrutar sin juzgar y dejarse llevar a una historia epica que sin dejar de ser fantasia bien podria suceder en el mundo real.
  25. Dec 17, 2012
    A quality ending to a truly superb trilogy! Chris Nolan has yet again amazed audiences with a cavalcade of stunning visuals combined with the action packed, suspense filled final installment that was to be expected. The heights of The Dark Knight were difficult to reach and yet this story creates a more complete and fulfilling film as all characters are thoroughly involved within the mainA quality ending to a truly superb trilogy! Chris Nolan has yet again amazed audiences with a cavalcade of stunning visuals combined with the action packed, suspense filled final installment that was to be expected. The heights of The Dark Knight were difficult to reach and yet this story creates a more complete and fulfilling film as all characters are thoroughly involved within the main plot whilst simultaneously battling their own demons and developing as the 165 minutes come to a satisfying close. Credit must surely go to Tom Hardy for a chilling performance (much from the unique voice) and unfortunately an undeserved, quick demise. It was bound to be a difficult job to take over as villain after Heath Ledger and yet it works on an entirely different level. The Joker was feared due to his disturbed individuality and chaos induced life but Bane is feared for his organization and overwhelming force using all the utilities at hand. Overall nothing particularly let the film down and it easily is the best film of the year in my opinion. It's only stigma was following the critically acclaimed TDK and with the occasional cliche it unfortunately lacked the punch that Nolan had achieved in his previous stand alone masterpiece. It tied beautifully with Begins and has now taken over as my favourite trilogy of all time. Thank you Chris Nolan. Expand
  26. Jul 23, 2012
    An absolutely breathtaking end to an amazing trilogy. Without spoiling anything, I was left with a tear in my eye, lump in my throat and goose bumps all over towards the final scenes in this movie. Ignore the negative reviews, there are faults with everything if you look for them hard enough. Go and see this movie and make up your own conclusion, you owe it to yourself.
  27. Jul 31, 2012
    Totally enjoyable. I think people went to the cinema with way too many expectations and forgot to watch the movie for what it was worth. On it's own, people would have generally loved the film a lot more. I think one set went expecting The Dark Knight part 2 and the other went with crates of comics expecting something else. It was a brilliant movie with a worthy villain and I have nothingTotally enjoyable. I think people went to the cinema with way too many expectations and forgot to watch the movie for what it was worth. On it's own, people would have generally loved the film a lot more. I think one set went expecting The Dark Knight part 2 and the other went with crates of comics expecting something else. It was a brilliant movie with a worthy villain and I have nothing but praise for it Expand
  28. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is without a doubt one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It was nothing like I expected and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how Nolan's Batman movies have evolved and feel so different than the ones before it because you do not get tired of them. The movie is different from The Dark Knight and Batman Begins because it is moreThe Dark Knight Rises is without a doubt one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It was nothing like I expected and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how Nolan's Batman movies have evolved and feel so different than the ones before it because you do not get tired of them. The movie is different from The Dark Knight and Batman Begins because it is more grandoise and complex. There are several twists in The Dark Knight Rises that add a level of complexity that the previous two films did not have. That being said, The Dark Knight Rises is not better than The Dark Knight because of its muddled plot and rushed ending sequences.
    The muddled plot comes from the fact that Nolan relies to heavily on the ending sequences to explain earlier events. For some that is good enough, but I expect more from Nolan. Also certain events in the film seem over the top and in some cases there is no explanation for how they came to be. Especially, the French Revolution like court scenes. There are many other examples, but I do not want to spoil the movie. Despite these flaws, The Dark Knight Rises manages to keep you engaged because of the wonderful characters and the outstanding perfomances from the actors. The newcomers, Tom Hardy as Bane, Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle, Joseph Gordon Levit as John Blake, and Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate are all wonderful additions that add compexity to the film and some wicked twists at the end. So overall I think the film is good and worth seeing, but not a masterpiece like The Dark Knight was.
  29. Aug 4, 2012
    Great movie, one that if you feel mixed about it you should definitely watch it again, completely different from The Dark Knight (which I've seen so many times), it's really a great way to end the trilogy and together this really does make a great trilogy, can't wait to watch all of the movies together in one sitting
  30. Aug 5, 2012
    Fantastic Movie, The Dark Knight Rises ends the saga on a high note. The action was over the top and Bane was more fearless and intimidating then the joker, It was nice to see that the hero wasn't invincible for once. Bane literally made Batman beg for his life, yes they could of killed him. but what fun would that be , it was nice to see a realistic movie and a superhero cliche film

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.