8.4

1. Dec 31, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the best film of 2012, and is one of the best movies of all time. I respect the people that hate on this movie, but i do believe that they are wrong. The entire cast from Bale to Hardy to Freeman to Cain all deserve Oscar consideration. Nolan should be nominated for best director if not win. Han Zimmer's score is one of the best of the past 20 years but he has out done himself with the theme for Bane, i will say no more on this wonderful piece of music but please go check it out. The Dark Knight Rises is a masterful, wonderful, glorious piece of film-making.A+ Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2012
    Epic conclusion indeed. Nolan had a great start to the trilogy and now he has a great end to the trilogy. It was however a little bit less exciting than I thought but who gives it was still awesome. Tom Hardy gives the performance of his not so great career and Anne Hathway is by far the best Catwoman I've ever seen. Bane was probably one of the most interesting villians ever. Instead of the all-time insane Joker who kills to but fear in people's hearts, Bane humilates everyone in Gotham including Batman. John Blake in the very end is a brief hero but finds his true fate outside of the police force. Now that the trilogy is over though, I have to wonder what Nolan will do now? Expand
  3. Dec 26, 2012
    How could people compare this to the Avengers? The Avengers was a kids movie with horribly bad writing, uninspired acting, and extremely convoluted action scenes. The Dark Knight Rises on the other hand did have inspired acting, a script that was above average for any action film, and was built around action that made sense, and was creative. The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect 10 out of 10 when compared to other films in the big, epic, action adventure genre. Add to this a story that ended the series perfectly, and I have to say that I was 100% satisfied by this film. The only reason that I am giving it a 9 instead of a 10 is because the script, as in all epic, action, adventure films, could have been better. Expand
  4. Dec 25, 2012
    An awesome finale to the series. Not as good as "The Avengers" or "The Amazing Spider-man", but still a very good superhero movie. The best plot and action in the whole series, and the most twists and turns which will glue your eyes to the TV screen. Without a doubt among the best movies in all of 2012.
  5. Dec 21, 2012
    Nolan has, once again, managed to create that thing that made Batman Begins and The Dark Knight so special. I for instance can't name what that is, but I can say this, the movie feels as if every move of action was thought of, every part of speech read through at least a hundred times. The Dark Knight Rises is just one of those movies that leaves you thinking "Wow, I can't even... Wow!". I was speechless when the movie ended. The plot twisted and turned all the time, you could never expect anything or if you would, I bet the plot would turn the other way. Bane as the villain is just what a villain is supposed to be. The movie is extremely dark, and it lets you know that in a lot of its parts. I as a fan of The Dark Knight trilogy can say that this is my favorite movie in the saga, and it ends just as epic as it should. Epic end to an epic trilogy. I would also like to touch on the violence in this movie. It is in my opinion the most violent installment in this trilogy, there is a lot of crime shown and a lot of brutal fighting, but I think any kid 12 years and over should be fine with it. (Batman Begins: Introduction The Dark Knight: Most dramatic, most depressing, The Dark Knight Rises: Most brutal). Throughout the movie you can feel how this is the ending, it all ends here. Expand
  6. Dec 17, 2012
    Not so impressive like its predecessor, but this one is worth to buy: Every stage of the film is good, a good, tragic ending for batman and the rise of the Robin, and the hero is not only batman, but the hero will rise when it comes to its age. That's what the dark knight wants, what our hero will continue ...
  7. Dec 17, 2012
    A quality ending to a truly superb trilogy! Chris Nolan has yet again amazed audiences with a cavalcade of stunning visuals combined with the action packed, suspense filled final installment that was to be expected. The heights of The Dark Knight were difficult to reach and yet this story creates a more complete and fulfilling film as all characters are thoroughly involved within the main plot whilst simultaneously battling their own demons and developing as the 165 minutes come to a satisfying close. Credit must surely go to Tom Hardy for a chilling performance (much from the unique voice) and unfortunately an undeserved, quick demise. It was bound to be a difficult job to take over as villain after Heath Ledger and yet it works on an entirely different level. The Joker was feared due to his disturbed individuality and chaos induced life but Bane is feared for his organization and overwhelming force using all the utilities at hand. Overall nothing particularly let the film down and it easily is the best film of the year in my opinion. It's only stigma was following the critically acclaimed TDK and with the occasional cliche it unfortunately lacked the punch that Nolan had achieved in his previous stand alone masterpiece. It tied beautifully with Begins and has now taken over as my favourite trilogy of all time. Thank you Chris Nolan. Expand
  8. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. O melhor filme de 2012 até agora,o Nolan não teve medo de seguir em frente mesmo com o desafio de fazer um filme sem o coriga,o Bane caiu muito bem como novo vilão e a idéia de destruição de Gotham foi ótima agora o ponto forte do filme foi sim a ressurreição do Batman. Expand
  9. Dec 8, 2012
    I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises on my laptop, and the only regret I have is that I didn't get to see it in a cinema! It is so epic and intense, especially the scenes with Bane... This villain has such magnetism, Tom Hardy has done a very, very good job portraying this new villain.
    However, I can't put 10/10 because of Marion Cotillard. Even though I'm French, I find her so annoying,
    she doesn't put enough soul in such an important character! Casting any other good-looking actress would have been a better option... Expand
  10. Dec 7, 2012
    This film has seemed a lot better than the previous film.
  11. Nov 30, 2012
    3 words: Epic! Epic!! Epic!!!

Nolan never disappoints. TDK rises is an example of Nolan's style of direction, story writing, etc. This movie is indeed a epic conclusion to TDK trilogy. The acting was great, and the actors were also great. Flawless action, and suspense. The movie keeps you hanging there for the entire 2h 45min. The first hour was kinda slow. However it was worth it,
    because the new characters, and their plans were introduced in this sequence. The second hour was again slow, and imo this was the weak point of the film. There were a lot of boring scenes, such as Batman's capture. It was kinda boring. HOWEVER you won't believe it. At first glance I thought this was going to be crap due to the slow start, and middle, but I was so wrong. The climax, or the last hour of the film was unbelievable. I was left speechless. There were at least 3-5 plot twists. Some of them were predictable, however I was blown away with the final plot twist. It was totally unpredictable, imo. The climax made up for all the slow parts. I believe the conclusion was satisfying, and filled with a lot of suspense, and plot twists. Overall rating: 9/10

This movie was not as good as TDK (10/10) because TDK literally was perfect, imo. It had no slow parts, and no boring parts. Everything was perfect. On the other hand, TDK rises was a near-perfect movie. If it weren't for the slow parts then this movie would've been 11/10! No joke. Final words: Very pleased, and it exceeded my sky high expectations.
  12. Nov 30, 2012
    Boo Ya what an epic movie and what phenomenal way to end the dark knight trilogy.The story kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole 164 minutes.The action sequences was done perfectly.The story line was epic,the acting for every actor and actresses was done extremely well.Christopher Nolan does a phenomenel job directing this film. Every Batman movie directed was phenomenal and no wonder the films was a worldwide phenomenel.Unlike other films which had trilogy's and failed for example spider man 1,2 and 3 which truly sucked.But the dark knight trilogy's was the best epic and awesome.This time I did not read the other reviews posted by other users.Until I finished watching the film.And I'm glad to say I truly enjoyed this film.The dark knight rises is one of the best films I have ever seen. Expand
  13. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises is absolutely amazing and, in my opinion, the movie of the year. Yes, that means I thought it was even better than The Avengers which, in and of itself was also incredible. Batman Begins is still my favorite superhero movie of all-time but this film matchs The Dark Knight if not surpassing it by a hair. I'm big on plot and character development so that's the only potential negative I can give the first Dark Knight. It felt more like an action based movie and got away a bit from the development of the Bruce Wayne character. Well, this movie returns to furthering the development of the protagonist to a very in-depth level. Of course it also had the amazing plot development, action sequences, and dark realism of the first two that made this trilogy as a whole the best set of films in superhero history.

I'm not going to lie, I had some concerns about this movie going in. The first concern was the selection of Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway as Bane and Selena Kyle/Catwoman, respectively. Well, just like Heath Ledger, these surprising selections turned out to be perfect for how the characters were portrayed. As villains go, Heath Ledger's Joker is still the best villain in cinema history as far as I'm concerned but Tom Hardy's Bane comes incredibly close. The only negative I would say here is that there were a few scattered moments where his dialogue was fairly difficult to understand. I think they could've cleaned that up a bit more. Now Catwoman, WOW! I thought Anne Hathaway did an absolutely amazing job here. I honestly think she was by far the best catwoman yet and I don't think she could've done a better job. Kudos to Christopher Nolan once more for seeing what so many other people couldn't.

As I said before, the action sequences were stunning as usual. There's nothing new there. One thing I will say that I loved, as with the first two, is how realistic they manage to keep a lot of the fighting and action scenes. Along with the overall darker tone, the realism has really made this series more enjoyable than ever. The ultimate judge for this movie, though, is how well the plot unravels before your eyes. The first two movies each had pretty intriguing twists and turns that were somewhat unexpected but they don't touch this one in that regard. The discoveries of the Talia al Ghul and Robin characters, Bane's origin and purpose, Catwoman's development (in addition to Batman's as mentioned prior), and all of the tie-ins that round out the trilogy were incredible. Plus, the way the ending unfolds in truly remarkable and writing it here just wouldn't do it justice. I will say this though; I can't wait for the next one, if and when they make it :)
  14. Nov 28, 2012
    Although it is not as cleanly compressed together as its ancestors, Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his - now pristine - Batman trilogy still remains a sweeping, emotional, and completely endearing master work of modern cinema.
  15. Nov 27, 2012
    Other than being a bit of a downer, I don't have much to complain about with the new batman movie. Christian Bale's voice was messed up as usual, and Bane's voice bothered me slightly at first, but aside from that the movie was quite enjoyable. The Imax scenes were crisp and clear, almost looking 3D with the way it was filmed, even though I watched the 2D version. Acting was superb on all counts, save maybe for that of Matthew Modine, who was horrible as usual. Very satisfying ending. Nolan is a genius. Expand
  16. Nov 22, 2012
    Perhaps the one thing that makes this movie stand out above the previous two Nolan installations is its ability to not only keep the audience on the edge of their seat, but to compel them into investing all of their emotion into the characters. Because the previous movies set up the characters so graciously, it is easier to understand the characters' motivations and become more involved in the situations being introduced. The cast is directed beautifully with particularly strong performances from Michael Caine and Tom Hardy. Admittedly, Bane is slightly less captivating than Ledger's masterful performance as the Joker, although he becomes a menacing enough villain to feel fitting as Batman's final challenge. The script never fails even in its weakest moments and will be sure to make spines shudder and tears shed for the more dedicated fans. The real backbone to the whole project is Christopher Nolan's ability to wrap everything he puts on screen into one of the most powerful action climaxes in history. This reinforces the Nolan Batman Trilogy's reputation as one of the most significant reboots in recent memory as well as a true cinematic triumph. Expand
  17. Nov 17, 2012
    Even if there are some elements which make this movie worse than it's predecessor (the near-perfection and a really REALLY complex plot disappeared), the acting and action are spectacular, and we can finally see a development in most of the characters, while in TDK most of the characters have no developments, and the soundtrack is better and more enjoyable than the first two films.
  18. Nov 11, 2012
    I found this a very enjoyable movie and fitting ending to the trilogy. Despite the slow start it soon starts picking up pace and keeps your attention til the very end.
  19. Nov 9, 2012
    They should have shown the experiment and surgery that Bane had in the movie to let the some viewers know who he was. But still, "The Dark Knight Rises" really rose up in the theater, and in the plot, the movie rose perfectly to the climax (where police was lining up to fight against the prisoners and the terrorists). And as usual, Christian Bale was great in the film.
  20. Nov 7, 2012
    There is a way to solve the problem of there currently being no plans for a "The Dark Knight Rises"--Blu-ray + DVD Combo With Limited Edition Bat-Cowl Display Case that would also include "The Dark Knight Reborn". "Reborn" is a documentary on the making of "The Dark Knight Trilogy". It seems that this documentary will only be available with "TDKRises"--Limited Edition Steelbook Best Buy Exclusive.

Obviously, most all of us true fans would much prefer to own the Bat-Cowl plus "Reborn", and not have pay for both the Steelbook and the Bat-Cowl just to have the coolest packaging along with the documentary. Also, I am sure that we all want to know what contents will be included in "The Dark Knight Trilogy"--Ultimate Collector's Edition Set, coming in the fall of 2013, before we decide to buy "TDKR" in December.

Since these products are manufactured by Warner Bros., please go to their website, bottom of page, "Help - Tell Us What You Think", take a survey and send them the following letter in the alloted text boxes. You may also go to the WBShop site, to the bottom of the page, find "Customer Service - Contact Us", and paste the same text into a message and send it to them. Feel free to write your own message, if you can. You may also print the following message and mail it to Warner Home Video, 4000 Warner Blvd., Burbank CA 91522. If enough of us participate, we may get the results that we deserve!

Dear Warner Bros. Home Video,

According to the BestBuy website, "The Dark Knight Rises"--Blu-ray + DVD Combo with Limited Edition Bat-Cowl Display Case will NOT include "The Dark Knight Reborn", which is a documentary on the making of "The Dark Knight Trilogy". So Far, "Reborn" will only be available with "The Dark Knight Rises"--Best Buy Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook.

We the fans of the Trilogy and the loyal followers of you century's great roster of movies respectfully request that the Bat-Cowl Limited Edition be made to include the coveted "Dark Knight Reborn" Blu-ray Disc. While Steelbook packaging is cool, we many serious collectors will definitely much prefer to have the Bat-Cowl displayed on our shelves. But we do not wish to have to double-dip and buy both the Steelbook and Bat-Cowl, just to have the most prestigious packaging plus the documentary.

If it is too late in the manufacturing process to have the "Reborn" BDs inserted into the Bat-Cowl boxes, then they may attached to outside of the box within a simple cardboard sleeve or else distributed in limited quantities to the first-coming customers. I am confident that Warner Bros. Home Video can find of a way to resolve this problem.

Furthermore, please post the product details and box contents list for "The Dark Knight Trilogy"--Ultimate Collector's Edition Gift Set, which is purported to be released in early 2013, as soon as possible, hopefully before December 4th, which is when "Dark Knight Rises" will be released on Blu-ray and DVD. Doing so will enable us Batfans to decide on whether to acquire "TDKR" in December, or to wait for the Trilogy Ultimate Set.

If there are some other powers that be that we should instead be contacting in regards to these issues, please forward this message to them or else let us know their names, phone numb#rs and/or e-mail addresses.

Thank You So Much for hearing us!
    Sincerely,
    (type your name here)
  21. Nov 5, 2012
    One of my favorite movie series of all time comes to a close in The Dark Knight rises. The third and final film in this Christopher Nolan saga does not disappoint, with exciting action sequences, new villains, and one of the most emotionally moving endings to a film I have ever seen. The movie may be a bit long and the story a little bloated. I personally feel that the movie was not as good as The Dark Knight but is still a fitting end to the trilogy. 9/10 Expand
  22. Oct 30, 2012
    Although it certainly does not match its predecessor, The Dark Knight Rises STILL gives a grand way of ending a great trilogy. Long live the Caped Crusader!
  23. Oct 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was awesome. Don't come in this movie expecting a Dark Knight 2 just as there wasn't a Batman Begins 2. These movies in this trilogy have complete different tones and directions. I would say if you enjoyed Batman Begins more than TDK you will most likely prefer this over BB. If you enjoyed the Dark Knight more than BB its a 50% chance you will like TDKR better. Acting: The acting was great and there was no one I didn't like Action: The best edited action sequences this time around

Score: The best score of the three; i like the blending of the old and new sounds. I loved that ghostly sound that you hear after the prologue and in the song 'Necessary Evil'

Story: This one had the best story and tone out of the three in my opinion. The tone of this movie was a mix of TDK and BB and worked well. Think of this movie as a action-thriller disaster movie. TDK was action-crime drama. BB was action-drama.

Don't listen to the people who claim there are abundance of plot holes in this movie

1) How is Batman on the ice?

Response: There is a certain part on the ice where it gets softer. The guards are standing on the ice as well because they aren't walking for enough to get to the soft part. 2) Talia's death was so fake

Response: I agree it was a little too much but she could have passed out after her body went into shock. Our body's do that as a defense mechanism. I think she passed out because you can live from that or you could die from that, so it can go either way. Your interpretation

3) Bane's death was bad

Response: Batman had already won that fight against Bane anyway until Talia stabbed him in the back. Now the only way to stop Bane is to kill him and thats not gonna be Batman thats gonna be Catwoman. Catwoman cannot fight Bane physically because she isn't as skilled as him so the batpod shot makes sense

4) Where was Batman?

Response: This movie was more of Bruce Wayne's story even when it was more focused on Bruce there was enough Batman to suffice and needed. After all they are the same person

5)How did Bruce get in Gotham?

Response: Bruce has been around the world a lot and knows his ways. He knows how to fly so he could have flew a small helicopter and parachuted in Gotham. If this movie explained it step by step this movie is going to run even longer, infer

6) You could have cut Selina's part out of TDKR

Response: No, she kinda brought Bruce back out in the world to remind him there are people out there still to play with. She had very sly humor and wit that eas a nice touch in this movie as a whole. They both found a clean slate. Together. 7) How can Bruce be with Selina after she has done everything to him?

Response: Even when he found out she was stealing his stuff you could tell he still liked her personality; that especially shows at the charity ball scene. Also when he says 'There's more to you than that', he sees more in her. You can tell Selina cared about him when she found out Bane was beating him up and when she said 'Come with me--save yourself...'

8) How is Bruce going to be with Miranda Tate out of the blue?

At the time he was at his most vulnerable. He just went bankrupt, Alfred is gone, and he has no one. So it makes sense.

I've seen this movie 6 times in the theatre and can't wait to see it more once I get my hands on the blu-ray copy.
  24. Oct 29, 2012
    This is by far the best comic book movie ever made. TDKR deserves every award it gets acting was amazing action was amazing the ending to this trilogy probably makes it the best trilogy of all time. The best movie of the year in four words TDKR
  25. Oct 26, 2012
    In some ways, I think TDKR does top its predecessors. Overall, it is a satisfying conclusion, and I really liked it besides some minor things. 1. I didn't like John Blake being Robin...director Christopher Nolan got Bruce Wayne/Batman's origin story so correct in Batman Begins, the fact the "Robin" was just some cop kind of bugs me. This is my main complaint.

2. Bane's voice was OK, but
    there were parts when I couldn't understand what he was saying due to background noise or loud music. 3. Catwoman's outfit....I just wanted to see some claws, a whip, and a cowl! Expand
  26. Oct 24, 2012
    Nolan done it again. TDKR is a triumph, held down by some minor niggles. Surprisingly, despite my initial negative view of Anne Hathaway as catwoman, I felt that Hathaway has done a terrific job being catwoman and really, this is her sexiest role yet. However, her screentime was a tad lacking and to be honest, her contribution to the actual plot is minor if not unecessary if taking a harsh stance. The brilliant plot, great combination of soundtrack and visual enticements as well as brilliant acting retains the excellent Nolan formula that everyone would enjoy. The fight scenes are genuine not cliche' or death-defyingly unrealistic. The twists in the film will get you, no matter how hard you think each time. And throw in a controversial, highly debatable, ambiguous-as-hell ending for good effect (as always). The chemistry just works and really does prove Nolan's prowess as a director and writer. Dont get me wrong, the movie's not perfect. There are so many plot elements there that can be debated for and many characters actually go against the batman canon (watch for the twist near the end. For avid batman fanboys out there and those who's played Batman: Arkham City, you'll be cutting yourself). Is this better than the Dark Knight? No, not really. Is it worse? No, definitely not. Sure Heath Ledger's joker was a sensation, take that away and apart from some thrills, the 2nd movie is definitely sub-par to TDKR by a cat's whisker. Ultimately, it does have some neglible flaws that you probably wont care if you're just watching the movie for fun. If you're a deep thinker and adopted an 'Inception'-esque mindset to the film, you will find many discrepancies in the plot flow. My money for Nolan's best film is still Inception but TDKR is without question THE best action/superhero film of the year. Sorry, Avengers. While I enjoy Avengers (a LOT to be honest), TDKR just tops the comedy-action formula the Avengers had and introduced the standard Nolan-excellence that we have all witnessed before. An intelligent film with class, brilliant execution and acting definitely tops an all-out action film reliant on CG-sequences/witty dialogue/a truckload of top-end, expensive Hollywood stars. Expand
  27. Oct 17, 2012
    Sorry Avengers. But you just didn't have 70 minutes of IMAX-filmed fight scenes or set pieces, or an extremely intense script and epic story that made The Dark Knight Rises the equal best movie of 2012 so far, as well as Looper.

P.S. Bane is a badass bad guy.
  28. cfh
    Oct 16, 2012
    I think it was a superb movie. I was at the edge of my seat while watching it. So much action. It was a little slow at the beginning but at the end it was excellant. I would deffinately buy this movie.
  29. Oct 16, 2012
    Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake!. Rest in peace Heath Ledger you will never be forgotten Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.