Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 20, 2012
Universal acclaim based on 3856 Ratings
3,233
WATCH NOW
AcriminalDec 9, 2012
I tried really hard to enjoy this movie but it just made no sense to me. Even though it was almost three hours long, I found that each scene was so gawdy and finely cut together that I could barely follow what was going on. Instead ofI tried really hard to enjoy this movie but it just made no sense to me. Even though it was almost three hours long, I found that each scene was so gawdy and finely cut together that I could barely follow what was going on. Instead of meaningful dialogue it seemed to be one overconfident cliche after another. I can't really say I'm a huge fan of superhero or comic book stories but I do enjoy well written science fiction. Sadly, this is not. The writers should have taken a little more time to make sure and not offend intelligent viewers with such ridiculous moments as "oh my vertebrae is sticking out of my back, can you kick it back in for me?" - let's get real. If you want us to have sympathy and genuine concern for the heroes, they have to first be human. Expand
CountryPetInnAug 18, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everything felt rushed, miscued & unexplained in the last 90 minutes. The last 30 minutes made generally no sense. After Batman 2 which was brilliant, this movie had me consistently asking why were most of the characters so idiotic in their thinking. A few bad actors in place as well; and the ending? Really? How could Batman survive that? Maybe if his batwing morphed int an amphibious craft. Just a LOT of unexplained holes that had you asking, how'd he get there?, why don't they just...? I really hate it when movie that supposed to be great, leaves you analyzing the direction job. The voice of Bane to me just didn't fit either, it sounded like a 70 year old college professor. Expand
txrangersfan72Jul 20, 2012
Unfortunately the benefit I thought I'd get by seeing the entire Trilogy tonight of Christopher Nolan's brilliant Batman world actually worked against me. Seeing Batman Begins, by far the best of the three, again had just as much of theUnfortunately the benefit I thought I'd get by seeing the entire Trilogy tonight of Christopher Nolan's brilliant Batman world actually worked against me. Seeing Batman Begins, by far the best of the three, again had just as much of the magic as my first opening night screening. The Dark Knight, too, continued to set the GOLD standard for superhero filmmaking. That is why seeing those two masterpieces bumped up against this awful excuse for a Batman and an even worse excuse for a Christopher Nolan film, made the evening purely miserable. First, the opening scene introducing Bane and the ending wrapping up the Trilogy We're the best 20 total minutes of the movie. That, and a fantastic, yet not-used-as-much-as-she-should-have-been Catwoman portrayal by a very sexy Anne Hathaway, pretty much summed up what was worth seeing in this clumsy, poorly written, poorly acted travesty of a sequel. The vast majority of its 2:45 running time resembled not one ounce of a Christopher Nolan film, save for the above caveats. Christian Bale even appears to have forgotten how to play Batman and Bruce Wayne. The cast was almost unrecognizable, and for that I blame the script. Color me disappointed. Expand
BikerjamesAug 26, 2012
First and foremost, the sound quality in this film is one of the worse I have heard for a major motion picture, and I saw it in IMAX which has the best sound available. Overall, I would say I understood about 2/3 of the dialogue, and onlyFirst and foremost, the sound quality in this film is one of the worse I have heard for a major motion picture, and I saw it in IMAX which has the best sound available. Overall, I would say I understood about 2/3 of the dialogue, and only about 1/3 of Bane's dialogue. Bane wears a mask and when he speaks, for no apparent reason, there is an amplified distorted voice. On top of that he has an accent making it even worse. When he spoke into a microphone on the football field you may as well forget trying to understand him. The rest of the movie had a VERY annoying loud cello playing in the background when people were speaking. There were no silent spots that I remember. There was even dialogue being spoken during the action scenes. My friend and I were constantly leaning over and saying "what did he say?". There is also absolutely NO humor in this film whatsoever, and in fact every person on the screen had the same angry, angst, cynical personality. As always, the special effects were superb which I would expect for a budget the size they had. There are numerous plot holes and ludicrous moments throughout. Michael Caine weeps in almost every scene. I'm a big fan of Anne Hathaway but she is a waste here. She is yet another angry kick-ass person on screen, when they could have used her for some MUCH needed humor in the film. Lastly, the movie was WAY too long. I was so relieved when it finally ended after the cacophony of noise I had to endure for 2 hours and 40 minutes. Expand
intruder313Jul 23, 2012
The Dark Knight is Risible.
Almost every scene was either utter nonsense or so boring that it felt like my entire day was being swallowed up in this mire.
The Dark Knight is Risible.
A massive problem for me is Bane, not just that he's nothing like the comic-book character but his voice is even more comical than Batman's - he sounds exactly like the Narrator from Diablo!
Bane's fights with Batman are terrible because Nolan still cannot direct brawling scenes. He barely even tries this time and seems to have gone back to his original tactic of cutting away or just plain hiding the action behind intervening characters.
I can think of 2-3 decent moments but for the vasty majority of the film I was just hoping it would improve or just end. Nolan was obviously sick-to-death of the characters and seemed to want the audience to go out feeling the same way.
David_HJul 21, 2012
I read the critique that it was overly bleak, but seemed about the same level of darkness as the 2nd movie. The only difference was this one was at least 45 minutes too long. I thought it was very mediocre, a bit tedious and certainly tooI read the critique that it was overly bleak, but seemed about the same level of darkness as the 2nd movie. The only difference was this one was at least 45 minutes too long. I thought it was very mediocre, a bit tedious and certainly too long. The hand-to-hand combat was very poor and telegraphed. Not much new to see and a bit boring. Expand
shaunmedFeb 28, 2013
batman is awful b/c he is predictably moral and thus just another boring super doofus of a hero. grow some balls marvel and show something dark and real.
AmriT240892Jul 24, 2012
The whole film was a letdown not only as a batman trio. but also as a nolan's film. No hard work was done in every department except the sound. The dialogues were so dumb unlike inception, memento, tdk. Twists in the film were forcefullyThe whole film was a letdown not only as a batman trio. but also as a nolan's film. No hard work was done in every department except the sound. The dialogues were so dumb unlike inception, memento, tdk. Twists in the film were forcefully injected into it & it all felt hopeless. One scene when the bane's past is revealed was a twist & really was the dumbest twist of all times. It was a main but cheap twist & made bane look like a weak character & completely made the movie to downfall. Before this scene the movie was better than tdk, only one scene changed the fate of this movie. The film looked like even, nolan didn't also wanna make it. He should do what he wants & not not the money thirsty producers (WB) Expand
IzitmeeAug 1, 2012
Unaccomplished, badly fragmented, often ridiculous, blatantly fascist. At least, Bane is cool. For the rest, Nolan shows himself, in my humble opinion, as one of the most overrated director-writers of these times. The overall story, ifUnaccomplished, badly fragmented, often ridiculous, blatantly fascist. At least, Bane is cool. For the rest, Nolan shows himself, in my humble opinion, as one of the most overrated director-writers of these times. The overall story, if managed better - both in terms of screenplay and direction - had the basis to deliver a powerful movie. But Nolan fails on almost every aspect. He clearly knows the importance of drama, but lacks the ability to convey it, and every dramatic scene turns out to be either ridiculous or bland, a thing which gives the final blow to a lazy plot with more holes and failed pretentiousness than a badly designed mini-golf course. Batman himself, especially in the fighting scenes, is a clown that moves with the speed of a snail, and talks with a totally laughable old-style horror-tunnel voice.
At least, as I mentioned, Tom Hardy is a very expressive and impressive Bane, while Gary Oldman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Anne Hathaway deliver a good performance. The rest, acting included, is pure boredom.
ZanadarJul 28, 2012
Ultimately the problem with the movie is the plot makes no sense at all. As I'm endeavoring to not give away anything, so I'm going to be intentionally vague. There is no logical explanation for the actions of the villains in this movie.Ultimately the problem with the movie is the plot makes no sense at all. As I'm endeavoring to not give away anything, so I'm going to be intentionally vague. There is no logical explanation for the actions of the villains in this movie. Nothing to justify why they are doing what they are doing, and even if you work past that and accept that they just are, what they end up doing doesn't even make sense in the context of their stated goals. Unlike the insane, but methodical plans of the Joker in the second movie, the bad guys in this are just plain insane, and yet they play it far more straight-faced than the aforementioned previous antagonist did.
The next problem is the action. The whole "comic book movie" excuse that gets banded around so often can really only make up for so much. The core of the issue is that in Nolan's Batman universe, bullets seem to be more precious than diamonds. For some reason this did not feel quite as obvious in the previous two installments as it did in this one. Every action scene has mooks running up to Batman or other characters with guns in their hands to be easily disarmed. The frequency with which this happens in staggering. Barely anyone ever fires their guns throughout the movie and when they do, they make Stormtroopers look accurate. This culminates in a massive all out battle in which literally thousands of people suddenly forget the deadly projectile launching devices more or less all of them are holding and start laying into each other with whatever is available on hand. The sheer absurdity of the scene makes it impossible to ignore the issue even if you'd intentionally not payed attention everyone running up to martial arts specialists to be easily disarmed up to that point. All of this casts an absurd, practically silly light on the action that really detracts from the movies tone.
Next problem: Exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition...you can see where I'm going with this. A character enters a plot important room and they start spouting exposition about it to people who quite obviously and unmistakable already have this knowledge beforehand, and nobody questions why they are being told something they already know. The sheer volume of exposition in this movie pushes the already ridiculous runtime past the point of tolerance.
Honestly, I feel tired of this movie. I felt tired of it by the time it finally ended on it's awful cop-out ending, I felt tired thinking of all the things that really did not work in it, and I feel tired listing them here. I'm sorry, it just really isn't a good movie on almost any level, which is a crying shame seeing as it's predecessor is one of my personal favorites.
SaturnPhoenixNov 19, 2012
This movie was a pretty big disappointment, especially for those hoping that a sequel to The Dark Knight would be just as good as that movie was. Most of the acting & story was extremely predictable & unexciting, most of the movie was justThis movie was a pretty big disappointment, especially for those hoping that a sequel to The Dark Knight would be just as good as that movie was. Most of the acting & story was extremely predictable & unexciting, most of the movie was just extremely bland which caused me to walk out about two and a half hours in to the movie the first time & the second time when I sat through the whole thing it wasn't any better, not even the ending. Honestly, the Mtn Dew flavor for this movie was 50 times better than the movie itself. Expand
SesshomuraiJul 29, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Things I didn't like about this movie:
-------------------------------------------------------

- The plot never seems to get traction. When you expect something smart, figurative, and metaphorical (like
the brilliant Batman Begins) in the end its just a plain old "there's a bomb!" plot with nameless thugs running
around.

- Bane's character is not developed at all. Nor does his ramblings have an intellectual basis to make him
interesting. The dubbed voice over for him was so much louder than the normal track it sounded fake.
The overacted scottish accent was horrible. This is kind of sad because Batman comics are praised for
the complex villians. Bane had no personality at all and you had no appreciation for his mission or
thought process.

- Batman is cool because he has gadgets, does awesome detective work in the batcave, invents things,
outwits enemies, drives the batmobile, connects the dots where others cannot etc. and wins hand to hand fights. Sadly, none
of those traits are portrayed in this movie. The seminal point in the movie where batman actually returns
on the scene is a confusing sequence where it seems that he chases the badguys off and
they get away. He's then sort of scolded for scaring them off by the police. Huh? Wtf? That's not
the Batman we want to see....

- Fox's character is largely ignored in this movie. A shame. They could have done something interesting
with him. - Catwoman had great potential to be interesting but they only scratched the surface with her and she
had no integral purpose.

- Much of the plot mirrors events in Batman Begins (the best of the 3). Batman is hurt, he is thrown in
prison. League of Shadows is behind the turmoil and Wayne enterprises has another bad ceo. Batman
overcomes his imprisonment, trains to magically heal his serious injuries, etc.

- The dialogue between characters is mostly related to "this and that" such as "we have to stop him",
"I'm on it!" etc. and nothing deep, revealing or interesting to hear. Sounds bad, and sadly it is.

- There is a pointless "police march" that goes no where because the script meanders off elsewhere.

- For some reason, people "just know" Bruce Wayne is Batman. Unfortunately, this revelation is just
crammed into the script because the script needs it, not because events actually lead to it.

- The "Inception" like ending is good cause for debate but also copied from Inception.

- The fight scenes were a joke. Batman and Bane just whiffing at one another. Batman is a martial
arts expert who can defeat many enemies at once. He also has cool gadgets to evade and surprise
bad guys. None of that appears here. Let me be clear. Batman is a SUPERHERO. Not some average
joe in a unitard.

- Like Prometheus, the music was too loud, everpresent and contextually unrelated.

- It was too long. Mostly for the above reasons.

- Too much everyone else. Not enough BATMAN!! I mean c'mon!!! We hardly got to see batman
at all....seriously.

- Why is this movie called Dark Knight Rises? Ok, he quit and came back, then quit or died again. The title seems misplaced or redundant to the other movies. "Batman Begins", "Dark Knight Rises", sorta means the same thing with different words. Things I liked about this movie: ------------------------------------------------------ - Bat plane - Catwoman, although they didn't show her true abilities (9 lives, etc.)
bigfoot6463Jul 20, 2012
Same old same old. Could have been a 90 minute movie. Wouldn't matter anyway, If you are looking for any surprises, you wont find them here. Big disappointment. Glad this Trilogy is over for good.
GreatMartinJul 20, 2012
Where is Robin when you need him? Or for that matter Spiderman? Wait! Where is Batman?? In this 2 hour and 25 minute movie we see way too much of Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) not to forget Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) and Bane, the villain (TomWhere is Robin when you need him? Or for that matter Spiderman? Wait! Where is Batman?? In this 2 hour and 25 minute movie we see way too much of Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) not to forget Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) and Bane, the villain (Tom Hardy), and a young policeman (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) plus the Commissioner (Gary Oldman), Batman/Bruce Wayne's inventor Lucius (Morgan Freeman), a possible love interest in Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard) and various other characters but I thought this was suppose to be a film about Batman, isn't it?

"The Dark Knight Rises" is on its way to breaking records (if the shooting today in Colorado doesn't keep people away from movie theatres) but it is not half as interesting as Spiderman was, has a long, confusing plot that goes in all directions and a not very interesting villain. Without giving away any plot points two of them border on the ridiculous.

Michael Caine, playing Wayne's butler/valet, disappears after being prominent at the beginning with his hovering/worrying about Bruce being taken over by Morgan Freeman with the latter not really offering anything different in the part.

The screenplay by Christopher Nolan, who also directed, and Jonathan Nolan, goes into many and confusing directions. It can also bring up other layers if you want to look at it politically with Bane (Bain?), the 1%, the Occupy Wall street group and the destruction of Gotham city, which certainly is New York here, bringing up scenes of 9/11, but don't waste your time on those angles because your mind will be all over the place until Batman, special effects, stopping the world coming to an end comes into play and off we go into comic book hero action.

Having seen "The Amazing Spiderman" last week and "The Dark Knight Rises" today I would recommend the former a lot more than the latter as it has the better story, is shorter and though it also has an uninteresting villain at least you can understand what he is saying.
MarkAngelFeb 4, 2013
The expectations were overwhelmingly high by any standard and the expectations seemed very unrealistic and unfair. At least that's what I thought weeks before I saw it early in August. Back then, i actually felt sorry for Nolan and the hugeThe expectations were overwhelmingly high by any standard and the expectations seemed very unrealistic and unfair. At least that's what I thought weeks before I saw it early in August. Back then, i actually felt sorry for Nolan and the huge amount of responsibility he has imposed on him self by making The Dark Knight. But saying that TDKR simply does not deliver is a lie and i've never been so disappointed in my life. What this film delivers is almost 3 hours long tedious and messy melodrama, full of standard cliches, traditional sentiment and clumsy characters. Expand
DyrianJul 20, 2012
I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with such an anticipated film. As a fan of the "comic book" genre and believing that the first two films in this series were nothing short of perfection, this movie fell way short onI can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with such an anticipated film. As a fan of the "comic book" genre and believing that the first two films in this series were nothing short of perfection, this movie fell way short on nearly every level. The dull, lifeless performances were equally matched by an unimaginative and lengthy script. This movie could have easily been scripted to have a fourth, or even fifth, instalment. At least then we could have been saved the horrible editing and cinematography that forced it into a single film, thus making it feel like nothing more than a two and a half hour trailer (the background music also NEVER stopped). And once again we see a great comic book villain who's story and purpose isn't truly told on the big screen, and Bane's is deep, he almost deserves his own movie. So much like Spider-Man 3, they tried to do too much with too little and it really shows. With the exception of it's actors, this final chapter appears to share absolutely none of what made the other two great. Expand
GraysonGooseJul 20, 2012
The Dark Knight Rises had a lot of hype and high expectations to live up to after coming off of its acclaimed predecessor--The Dark Knight. Thus, inevitably, when going in to see the TDKR, TDK will be on the back of many peoples
DakthornJul 21, 2012
Slow to start and muddied with too many mediocre subplots this is the weakest of the trilogy. The last 45 minutes were fun. Bane was dull. I went to see Batman and He didn't show up until the end. Sure there were reasons, but it was justSlow to start and muddied with too many mediocre subplots this is the weakest of the trilogy. The last 45 minutes were fun. Bane was dull. I went to see Batman and He didn't show up until the end. Sure there were reasons, but it was just not fun. The comics are good fun, this, meh. It would be fine to see this on video. There were two major, whose stupid idea was that moments. If you are a fan, I suspect they will disappoint you. Expand
DudefromTulsaJul 22, 2012
The Dark Knight Rises and there's a whole lot of talkin' goin' on. Admittedly, nothing could live up to the hype this things gotten so I tried - I really tried - to put all that aside. But the sad fact is this thing is a snooze.
There is
There is back story after back story in this movie as you learn and re-learn the histories of each character. And, while I promise you no spoilers, what really gets me is , if any of the so-called twists in the plot come as a surprise to you this must be the first movie you've ever seen. I'm not a fan boy and I don't demand fealty to the Holy Writ of the comic book origins, so I'll say making Bane wear that stupid mask was, well, stupid. This is a movie, he's an actor, you need to see his face!
Anne Hathaway and Marion Cotilard are classic beauties and just watching them on screen is a pleasure just not worth all this hyperbole. The rest of the cast are very talented actors as well.
So why a low rating? Well, I can't really tell you without giving spoilers and I promise not to do that. So let me just say if you must see this movie, wait a week or two for the lines to die down and go in promising yourself you ask no logical questions at all. None. Zip. Zilch.
Just sit, eat your popcorn, slurp your cola and let the illogical, predictable plot flow over you.
Discordia87Jul 23, 2012
It is not our own fault, as a collective audience, that the third film in the trilogy is often so pressurised into being a fantastic, ugly and plot-less mess. We get overexcited and speculate endlessly and wildly about the plot and twists ofIt is not our own fault, as a collective audience, that the third film in the trilogy is often so pressurised into being a fantastic, ugly and plot-less mess. We get overexcited and speculate endlessly and wildly about the plot and twists of the film to the extent where the creators are left with no option but to go hell for leather and overload, over-complicate and overextend themselves when it comes to actually making the damned thing! Nolan has in the past provided massively entertaining well written, scripted and directed works of cinema, (TDK, Inception and YES prestige) I do not doubt his talent.

TDKR was not one of them, the dialogue lacked the wit and pithy impact of the previous film to the point where everything felt rushed and miscued. The plot 'twists' were obvious, unnecessary and entirely un-intriguing. The action scenes were fine, a little drab although I appreciate the 'broken Batman' concept. Bane was good and would have appeared better if the rest of the plot had stood well around him. A suitably frightening bad guy I loved the voice and the interactions between him and his army (although why they are so willing to die at his command is never fully explained). The prison scene could have worked in another film, similar to Batman Begins for example, but were an irritating and contrived side plot, especially the whole rock climbing bit (was this the key scene? Not sure). Give a director enough budget and he will drop your expectations through a trapdoor.
smarmJul 29, 2012
One word: boring.

From the numerous plot holes and head-scratchers to Catwoman's tedious and bland acting to the predictable and samey dialog; This is a pathetic ending to the Batman trilogy. I did walk out on this movie, about 3/4's of
One word: boring.

I did walk out on this movie, about 3/4's of the way through. Was falling asleep in my seat.

My largest gripe is the bad writing. Things happen by accident. One of the characters HAPPENS to stumble on the operations of the biggest bad in Gotham being kept secret for months / years. The Big Bad HAPPENS to know where the treasure vault is, when ostensibly no one know where it is, etc, etc. Relying on coincidence, always the hallmark of bad writing.

Secondly the plot and motivations for things done in the movie are largely incoherent. Why does Batman (of the movie), care one whit for this two dimensional cut out of Catwoman and go out of his way to save her? Why is it understood that she is any use when it comes to finding the Big Bad at all, when she appears to be a low level pawn? Why is that stupid stunt done with the airplane (see your trailer) when it's not even clear the "snatch and grab" that takes place is even needed? All in all, the movie play's more like a bad video game tie in than anything: All the set pieces (i.e. fight scenes or big stupid explosions) are planned out in advance and the plot is stitched together to "make it work".

There were some pretty clumsy and stupid jabs at "the rich" in the movie, which was just distracting and tedious. Yes guys, we get it: it's popular to bag on the rich. But if you're going to do it, at least do it competently. Batman, and to a lesser extent the city of Gotham itself, has been about this very subject. So I'm not sure why the "writer's" of this "fine film" would go out of their way to clumsily add non-canon whining and bad dialog, when you already have canon content that does the job quite well.

Weirdly I liked the side-characters more than what the writer's had the main character's doing all movie. The one cop who's in the batman fan club from word "Go" (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) that they spend an inordinate amount of time characterizing does a VERY good job and is more likeable than Bale as Batman. I *assume* they kill him off at some point to get a stupid tug at the heart strings. But I was expecting him to be the new Robin there for a bit.

There was good acting to be sure, just not Cat Woman. There is TONS of source material for each of the characters in the Batman universe, including Cat Woman. Cat Woman is normally portrayed (in the comics), as a more complex character than that "thing" that we had the misfortune of seeing Ms. Hathaway clumsily paw her way through.

I did like the music, if overdone at times ("Yes, we get it guys, beating drums make things more exciting").

One thing I thought was ironic as a good many of the character's in the film do or say things that indicate their strong belief that the concept of Batman itself is tired, outdated and unnecessary. A weird message for the movie ABOUT the Batman to have. And they actually bring up some cogent points! Unfortunately the bad writing they give Bale gives no indication of maturation, a good reason for him being the Batman or even an indication that he's thrill seeking or attempting to recapture lost glories. Which they out and out accuse him of at multiple points within the movie itself!

If you're going to beat the audience over the head with a "motivation" of the main character, at least have the main character himself attempt to express that motivation!
jimmyp01Jul 29, 2012
As someone who adores Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I had high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises. Unfortunately, I found it very disappointing for several reasons. For one, Tom Hardy's Bane is largely inaudible throughout. Also, if I'mAs someone who adores Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I had high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises. Unfortunately, I found it very disappointing for several reasons. For one, Tom Hardy's Bane is largely inaudible throughout. Also, if I'm being honest, I think his voice sounds a bit camp at times too. He's a great actor and capable of playing brooding, menacing characters well (see Bronson if you don't believe me!), which makes his performance in TDKR all the more disappointing and frustrating in equal measure.
Secondly, this film is loaded with plot holes. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have a fair few, but nowhere near as many as this one does. Furthermore, Hans Zimmer's score is incredibly irritating - it seems to be playing in the background of almost every scene and is increasingly distracting. Bane and Batman's one-on-one fights look, and feel, as if they have been choreographed by wrestlers from WWE. They lack any intensity or suspense. TDKR moves at such an unforgiving pace that it's hard to absorb everything that happens. Ultimately, as a result of this, the film lacks any emotional depth. We don't feel for Bruce Wayne here in the same way we do for him in BB or TDK.
Fortunately though, it isn't all bad. Anne Hathaway plays the role of Selina Kyle well enough, conveying a sense of playful mischief, and Michael Caine is excellent as Alfred.
But, I had been waiting years for this film and had been expecting an entertaining and enthralling conclusion to Chris Nolan's Batman trilogy, but left the movie theatre feeling exhausted and dejected by its failings.
ZaferJul 30, 2012
The film was an absolute disappointment for me. The action was taking place in a very narrow space. The editing was really awful. There were countless meaningless happenings. Like taking blood from the man in the plane. Then the blood wasn'tThe film was an absolute disappointment for me. The action was taking place in a very narrow space. The editing was really awful. There were countless meaningless happenings. Like taking blood from the man in the plane. Then the blood wasn't even used. Casting was not good. The city fight scene was meaningless. Why didn't they use the guns but tried to ram instead?
No adrenalin. Not enough action. Lots of unanaswered questions. Why was the truck in the move? No logical answer. Lots of questions like this one.
Generally talking the worst of the trilogy.
JamesCannonJul 11, 2014
Surprisingly poor follow up to arguably the best comic book movie ever made. Everyone had high expectations on this one. I ve seen twice, once in theatre, once at home. I still have the same feelings about it. It is a pretentious drag andSurprisingly poor follow up to arguably the best comic book movie ever made. Everyone had high expectations on this one. I ve seen twice, once in theatre, once at home. I still have the same feelings about it. It is a pretentious drag and probably Nolan's worst film. Characters bounce in and out it as the plot tries to be complex but its really quiet simple. What surprised me the most I think was how uninspired many of the action sequences. They are just not that good. The movie also relays on cliche plot devices, like a bomb that takes about a day an half to go off?? Then you have Bane who tries to come off as a eloquent bad a, but he just sounds silly most of the time. He has no poison addiction either which was featured in the comics. He is mostly just a psychotic brute in the comics anyway. They also make up an origin story that I believe was not featured in the comics. As you can tell I couldn't stand this movie, That is enough. Expand
Bo33yDec 22, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is very hard not to like this film in some small way from one of the greatest cast of actors on display. However this film was no Batman at all, the comic 's have been re-written into yet another terrorism movie. This is not Batman or Gotham. The film dragged on and on, giving much more time to dialogue which can be appreciated from the greatness of its actors. Though as previous this wasn't entirely Batman. Bane was missing the most important part of his character the venom, Batman defeats him in also every exchange from that weakness within the comic 's. The film had you believe Bane was in the league of shadows for its most part. While in truth he is a henchman for hire, but this films interpretation was altogether very wrong and misleadingly misguided. Catwoman dating Batman was so absurd it makes me angry. What little appeal she had is soon forgotten while her character is missing it's kink her whip, her sexiness is altogether lost when she then sells out to Batman. Bruce Wayne almost going broke and losing billions when he is a trillionare. Leaving some inheritance to Alfred and donating his heritage Wayne manor to orphans. This has left one of the worst tastes in my mouth out of any film of this calibre. The film was utterly disappointing a ploy to engage that fear of terrorism in the world today. While rewriting most of the comic book Batman and Gotham. I cannot imagine anyone sitting in the cinema for this film..... Expand
WithoutAPauseDec 29, 2012
Shockingly inept storytelling, especially given how solid the first two Nolan Batman films were. The cinematography and direction are as gorgeous as they were in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but the story is a complete wreck. A bit ofShockingly inept storytelling, especially given how solid the first two Nolan Batman films were. The cinematography and direction are as gorgeous as they were in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but the story is a complete wreck. A bit of creative license is needed for even the grittiest superhero film, but TDKR treats viewers like their IQs top out at 68. Nothing makes a whit of sense, the pacing is terrible, and the movie wastes Tom Hardy behind and mask and a ridiculous voice. A few energetic action sequences and Anne Hathaway's fun performance (and amazing figure in that suit) keep it from being a complete failure, but it's terribly close. Even Alfred's speeches are tiresome in this one. I just watched it for a second time, and it somehow makes even less sense than the first time around. Nolan tried to dress up an incredibly weak screenplay with lots of bells and whistles, but it's all empty noise. Expand
Enforcer122Apr 12, 2013
Boy, was I disappointed when I saw this film for the first time. I went with my brothers and girlfriend and there was an overwhelming sense of, nothingness. The opening scene was pretty rad, but after that the film just kind of flops. ABoy, was I disappointed when I saw this film for the first time. I went with my brothers and girlfriend and there was an overwhelming sense of, nothingness. The opening scene was pretty rad, but after that the film just kind of flops. A ridiculous amount of filler, nonsensical story line twists, awful editing and audio. Even worse was the ending, without any spoilers all I'm saying is... Don't get your hopes up. Probably the worst ending to a film I've seen in a long time. Bane was okay, but there are hundreds of better batman villains. Overall, a pretty awful film. Expand
AkashVijayJan 22, 2015
The Dark Knight Rises takes a big step back from the previous 2 instalments in terms of quality. I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for saying this but I personally think the Dark Knight Rises was unnecessary. The arc was completed at theThe Dark Knight Rises takes a big step back from the previous 2 instalments in terms of quality. I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for saying this but I personally think the Dark Knight Rises was unnecessary. The arc was completed at the end of the Dark Knight. Batman's story in the first 2 movies was a fully formed tragedy, similar to that of Hamlet. The Dark Knight Rises tried to go full circle again to give Batman the sappy hollywood manufactured ending and it failed miserably. It recycled the ideas from Batman Begins and didn't bother with depth of any sort. Not only that but it often contradicts the Dark Knight. The plot is incoherent with a lot that just doesn't add up. The relationships Bruce shares with Cat woman and Talia Al Ghul made no sense. There was no on-screen chemistry. The exposition is unbearable, the dialogue is laughably bad at times and Bane is one of the most poorly written villains in recent memory. His motivations and intentions just don't add up. In fact his goals of freeing Gotham from the corrupt and blowing Gotham to hell, are virtually incompatible. He's not just an abstract villain. He just made no sense. And the entire confrontation between Bane and Batman is purely physical. This time even the obstacles Bruce has to overcome are physical injuries. And a physical threat is never as deadly as a physiological threat (that's what made the joker such a terrifying character). The bomb plot line is when the film really drifts back to conventionality. For the direction where these films were going, I'm immensely disappointed with what the Dark Knight Rises had to offer. It's a weak instalment in an otherwise superior trilogy. Had this been anywhere near as good as its predecessors, I would be heralding the Dark Knight Trilogy as one of the greatest movie trilogies ever made. Sadly it didn't meet the hype. Expand
CinemaphileJul 29, 2016
There are some films that just are not worthy of discussion. I'm sad to say this is one. As much effort as was taken to try and legitimize Batman as a cinema icon on par with James bond, The Dark Knight Rises sets the franchise backThere are some films that just are not worthy of discussion. I'm sad to say this is one. As much effort as was taken to try and legitimize Batman as a cinema icon on par with James bond, The Dark Knight Rises sets the franchise back significantly. The script for this film is a train wreck of epic proportions, from major gaps in continuity to grand mal exposition. One scene epitomizes the insipidity of this film, the scene in which Bruce Wayne unveils his fusion reactor. He explains that he didn't want to give this boon to mankind because it could be turned into a weapon.

Wow.

Any high school history or science student could tell you that the hydrogen bomb of the mid 20th century was weaponized nuclear fusion.

Wow.

Like I said, some films are just not worthy of discussion. Skip this one, the actors look bored, the direction is flabby, the dialogue is overwrought and it's a waste of words and a waste of your money and a colossal waste of time.

HellionJan 4, 2013
Finally got round to watching this. I originally decided against watching it in respect to those folks who tragically passed away in Colorado. Upon viewing it finally out of sheer curiosity it confirmed my fears that its just another over theFinally got round to watching this. I originally decided against watching it in respect to those folks who tragically passed away in Colorado. Upon viewing it finally out of sheer curiosity it confirmed my fears that its just another over the top mindless violent picture with stale acting and outrageous cuts and shots that it was difficult to keep track of what was going on. I can't stand this high speed quick cuts style. The only part of the film worthy was Tom Hardy. I've liked the guy since Star Trek Nemesis and the great Bronson so Tom as Bane was perfect. The voice could have been done much better and more natural but otherwise that gripe its worth a one time viewing just for Hardy. Other then that nod the rest of the film is a complete waste of time. Even Anne Hathaway fails to give us a new Cat Woman. Nothing tops MIchelle Pfeiffer. Heck Liam Neesom (he gets a nod) even makes an appearance, finally putting me on the edge of my seat and as that scene ends he just vanishes? Terrible screenplay. Never did think too highly of the first but the second was good. Worth a one time rental if your that curious or want to catch Hardy, Neeson, and some of Bale. Nolan in my opinion hasn't made a good film since Insomnia. Expand