8.4

1. Jul 11, 2014
    Surprisingly poor follow up to arguably the best comic book movie ever made. Everyone had high expectations on this one. I ve seen twice, once in theatre, once at home. I still have the same feelings about it. It is a pretentious drag and probably Nolan's worst film. Characters bounce in and out it as the plot tries to be complex but its really quiet simple. What surprised me the most I think was how uninspired many of the action sequences. They are just not that good. The movie also relays on cliche plot devices, like a bomb that takes about a day an half to go off?? Then you have Bane who tries to come off as a eloquent bad a, but he just sounds silly most of the time. He has no poison addiction either which was featured in the comics. He is mostly just a psychotic brute in the comics anyway. They also make up an origin story that I believe was not featured in the comics. As you can tell I couldn't stand this movie, That is enough. Expand
  2. Jul 8, 2014
    great end for the trilogy movies of all time. I really liked this movie. I have to say that Bane (tom hardy) is the best super Villain I see, the movie gived me everything I ever wanted to see in a batman movie
  3. Jul 8, 2014
    The final film with our beloved Batman is both awesome, stunning and furious.

Just as The Dark Knight, we have another incredible well made movie from Christopher Nolan and he keeps me heavily entertained. Just as the previous film, it suffers with a slow amount of action and to much conversations, but in the end is The Dark Knight Rises a hell of a movie, and it might have one of the
    best endings I’ve ever seen.

Not as stunning as The Dark Knight, but it's still a masterpiece.

The Dark Knight Rises gets a 9/10
  4. Jun 29, 2014
    One of the most entertaining movies ever! Bane's voice is terrifying, Catwoman is hot and Batman is spectacular in his return to the cinema. This is a epic movie filled with plot twists, inspiring scenes and an intense soundtrack!
  5. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have seen the last two films in this trilogy and the Dark Knight was a powerful film.
    Review:
    Pros: A generally great film.
    Cons: Film was let down by an unrealistic medical miracle and a poorly timed nuclear device that explodes in film/TV time.
    4.5/5 - Good enough to watch it in the cinema and perhaps to buy the DVD.
  6. Jun 11, 2014
    *sigh* disappointing movie. Here's My four main Gripes with this movie: Questionable moments, Poorly past, rushed ending, and Bane and cat woman are both uninteresting. It's like they took the realism and kicked it to the curb because there are so many moments that just don't fit at all . Ya sure the movie will bring you entertainment, but when you really think about it. It will disappoint you and make you mad. Expand
  7. May 23, 2014
    This movie is every bit as pretentious, dull and comically serious as The Dark Knight. Only it's a lot dumber and has dialogue so bad, even some 5th graders could write better. It boggles my mind that some people call this movie "cerebral". If you had to actually think to understand something in this movie, your IQ is probably not very high. Try not to overload your brain with this amazing masterpiece of complex screenwriting. Expand
  8. May 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Things wrong with TDKR:
    *Way too many characters
    *Plot built on ludicrous underground tunnel network
    *Referring back to the League of Shadows and the first movie. TDK didn't. Batman begins was a good movie, but it's time to move on.
    *Ludicrous dystopian society emerges in Gotham within weeks
    *Bane getting killed in the background of a shot.
    *Pretty much everything Bane said and did before getting killed.
    *The cops are apparently now saints (a bizarre 360 from the first two films)
    *Ludicrous Asian hole-prison with an easy escape that everyone ignores
    *Rope-based chiropractic
    *Impossible escape from an exploding nuke whose fallout should irradiate the entire area.
    *Ludicrous finance market machinations. Apparently, breaking into a stock exchange doesn't give us the ability to reverse any transactions conducted during that time.
    *James Newton Howard is missing. The Hans Zimmer stuff is as pulse-pounding as always, but the class and the intimacy conveyed by the Howard sections of the scores of earlier films is sorely missed.
    *Ludicrous CGI flying bat-vehicle.
    *Bruce Wayne is apparently a horrible judge of character, and gets betrayed by everyone he knows at some point
    *Ludicrous conflict between Bruce and Alfred completely contradicts characterizations from earlier films
    *No mention of the Joker.

Things right with TDKR:
    *Catwoman (played with just the right degree of subtlety)
    *Eh, not a whole lot else.
  9. May 11, 2014
    You can say what you want about this film, but I found it to be an enjoyable experience and a great way to end this trilogy. Like the predecessors, TDKR is full of a lot of intense action and thrills; I though Bane was a cool and intimidating antagonist, Christian Bale was good as always. One thing I didn't like this film (and this flaw also applied to a certain other superhero movie that came out the following year *cough cough*Iron Man 3*cough*) is you will not see a lot of Batman in this film, but a lot more Bruce Wayne which kind of through me off a bit; also the ending is a bit confusing (and maybe a little rushed). Aside those things, Nolan's 3rd Batman flim was pretty enjoyable. Expand
  10. May 11, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises had a lot to live up to considering the success of Batman Begins and particularly The Dark Knight. Sadly it does't quite do so. Nolan's 3rd installment in The Dark Knight Trilogy is very VERY poorly written. There are a lot of unaddressed issues, Plot contrivances and Plot holes. A lot of stuff just doesn't add up and doesn't make much sense. It's not well paced. All 3 acts suffer from severe problems. But there are some positives. The performances were decent and the cinematography was good but overall it doesn't really qualify as a good film. The Dark Knight Rises let down what could've been one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time. Expand
  11. May 6, 2014
    Y'know that joke that became popular on the internet that involved Batman performing the impossible or doing something nonsensical and explaining it with "'Cause I'm Batman!"? I think Chris Nolan was actually taking that really seriously. This film is entertaining the first time you watch it but the more time passes and the more you think about it the more it will get under your skin with a senseless plot riddled with holes. Getting the good out of the way early: the acting is brilliant. There isn't a bad performance in this film. Now that we're done with the good let's get onto all the unanswered questions in The Dark Knight Rises.
    How does Batman abseil down the side of a building after being told he has no cartilage in his knee?
    How did it take him 8 years to find out about this lack of cartilage?
    How come it hinders his ability to walk but abseiling is fine?
    What the hell is the magic robo knee brace?
    If it allows him to kick through solid brick then why does he never kick Bane when he's fighting him and break his freaking ribs?
    When Bane takes away his Batsuit then why doesn't he take the magic robo knee brace too when he throws him into the big hole prison?
    Where the hell is the big hole prison supposed to be?
    Why was Bane in there?
    Why was he so protective of Talia?
    Why did everyone else attack him?
    What happened to his face?
    Why does he need the mask?
    Where did he get it?
    Why does it hurt when it's broken?
    How does being punched in the spine completely heal a broken back in less than 3 months?
    How does falling from a great height and being caught by a rope tightly wrapped around his waist not break Batmans back all over again? Or just kill him?
    How did Bane and his goons sneak motorcycles into the stock exchange?
    How does nobody find the flying batmobile when it's left unattended in Gotham for months?
    Why does Gordon send every cop in the city underground at the same time?
    Why does Bane keep those cops alive instead of just killing them? He's literally sending them care packages, why does he need them alive?
    How does Batman get from the big hole prison into the heavily guarded Gotham city with no idea where he is, no money, no transport, no method of contact to anybody and nobody knowing where he is?
    Where and when did he get that clean slate thing for Catwoman?
    When the unarmed cops charge the heavily armed army of Bane goons how do they not all get massacred by the guns and freaking tanks firing at them?
    If Talia was really the bad guy then why did she help the good guys several times before the big reveal?
    For that matter why didn't she just kill Batman when she was in his house and had the element of surprise? Or just kill when she stabbed him? If her plan was to blow up Gotham either way then why did she drag it out for 3 months?
    How does Batman get from the flying Batmobile to some other unspecified location in less than 3 seconds before the nuke explodes?
    Even in the highly unlikely scenario that he flew the nuke far enough away to have Gotham out of the blast radius wouldn't the radiation still kill everyone?
    How does nobody notice the incredibly famous recently dead guy sitting out in the open in a cafe in Florence?
    How did none of these questions occur to Chris Nolan before this film was finished production?
  12. May 4, 2014
    The Dark Knight Trilogy makes it to the finish line, bucking the system of many superhero trilogies, along with a couple of high-profiled ones as well.
  13. May 3, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises was one of the few successfull trilogies to have all three parts being enjoyable. While this sequel doesnt quite match the previous its still a fun ride and a great film. yes it has problems alot. but the overall effect and what the movie does right heavily outweighs the wrong. It is a great conclusion to the trilogy.
  14. May 1, 2014
    Like another review said, this movie is not terrible by any means, but it's not good either. It's rather bland and mediocre. I can't think of a single scene that stands out for me, versus the many great scenes from Dark Knight.

The action is meh as well, nothing really great. The plot is very convoluted (too many things happening, a lot of plot holes, jumps in time, poor writing, etc)
    and there are too many characters, most of which we don't really end up caring about. Robin seems like an almost useless character, and Catwoman never rises above being a sexy stereotypical woman in a bodytight suit. Meanwhile I feel like we don't even see enough Batman. The whole sequence at the prison is also really boring and silly, and the ending of the film is very weak. Expand
  15. Apr 30, 2014
    This is not as good as The Dark Knight as many movie goers can agree with me. The running time may seem extremely long (2:45) but you wish that it was just a little longer. I own The Dark Knight Trilogy all on blu ray and it annoys me how the IMAX switches on and off during action scenes. That is probably the biggest complaint I have with this movie. This is the largest in scale which is a better setup than the last two movies. This is a great movie for any Batman fan. Expand
  16. Apr 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not going to waist my time and say its not as good as the Dark Knight because I would be missing the point. The fact that Nolan's films transcend their genre and are relatable to anyone and everyone, in my mind at least, serves as no reason to punish them for not always transcending their genre. Ultimately it is what it is and will reward fans of the previous films as well as newcomers. Just don't let misguided critics get in the way of you watching it. Acting wise there was a big void to fill with Ledgers absence but, a double helping of bad guys brilliantly portrayed by, Hardy and Hathaway definitely fill the void. The film thrills as much as the previous films and even more considering the affection the audience now has with the characters. Look people will always flout the ending, but don't let them ruin it for you the ending is perfect if a little to perfect, but it did what it needed to do and rounded up the last 2 films superbly with cheeky references to previous films.
    Ultimately a worthy successor to the Dark Knight and there's no higher praise than that.
  17. Apr 27, 2014
    There was some dumb plot holes but overall the fight scenes between Batman and Bane were awesome. The pacing, acting, and quality of the film was fantastic.
  18. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie was such as disappointment to me. I liked it, but I wanted to love it like I loved the original Dark Knight. Like I loved Batman Begins. But this film had so many issues. There were so many plot holes, Batman just wasn't there, Bane never shut up and I saw the twist coming from a mile away. Also the ending as a slap in the face. But it wasn't all bad. The idea behind the story is great, the acting is awesome (even Tom Hardy did great as Bane, even though he monologued WAY too much), the fight scenes are pretty good and the music was amazing. But overall, I've never been this disappointed in a movie. Expand
  19. Apr 19, 2014
    A great, great movie. Not as good as the dark knight in my opinion but still one of my all time favourite movies. Awesome fight scenes especially including bane and just the right amount of dialogue in it too. And the ending is absolutely amazing and one of the best endings to a movie I have ever seen. Can't wait for the next Batman movie.
  20. Apr 4, 2014
    the batman series is not so exciting . the movie is fun and a rockstar hit . " christian bale is wonderful playin the one and only batman ..........................
    Grade A
  21. Mar 26, 2014
    The Dark Knight is one of the best movies I've seen, and I saw 3 TIMES The Dark Knight Rises one the movie theater, but I have to say, now that is on HBO, I can tolarate even 3 minutes watching it, it is the most stupid super hero movie I ever seen... It sucks, but don't get me wrong, I would see it again on the theater even If I don't know why...
  22. Mar 8, 2014
    Visually impressive, emotionally powerful, and well-plotted. This final installment has a slow start with too many new characters, but once it gets going, it's great. Ultimately, it's not as good as "The Dark Knight", but it's an excellent conclusion to an epic trilogy.
  23. Mar 4, 2014
    Experiencing this movie without any prior knowledge of from what it was based was definitely an advantage. I can imagine the lead up to all of the twists which seemed to all stack at the end to be rather tedious, but when it got there it sure packed a punch. Great score and great performances from all, including Hathaway surprisingly. It does feel a bit rushed, in terms of production and the attention to detail, but that's getting a bit picky. It's definitely worth a watch. Expand
  24. Feb 17, 2014
    "The Dark Knight Rises" not as good as its prequel, but it has the same thrilling feeling of everlasting suspense and unpredictability that made "The Dark Knight" work so well for me. The visuals are pure and beautiful, and the actors are better than the usual irreverent and unemotional people you see in action movies. The film ends the trilogy with a very satisfying short series of twists and events. Expand
  25. Feb 3, 2014
    本片和前作的黑暗和毁灭相比,颇有救赎和史诗感,Bane是一个和Joker截然不同的反派,Catwoman也是个很有意思的配角,Hathaway的表演超级棒,Bale的蝙蝠侠在洞穴里的表演影帝级,蝙蝠机的设计很棒,结尾不太搭调不像是诺兰的风格,打斗戏较为平庸,配乐依旧很出彩。
  26. Jan 31, 2014
    The last 1 hr. and 30 min. is one of the most breathtaking stretches of film I have ever witnessed. Just simply watch that which is true masterwork from a master filmmaker and storyteller, with an enticing signature in his dearly beloved end. However, watch it with the first hour and it's a different experience entirely. Embracing elements of peace and dullness, it wears off bluntly throughout and the limited development of Gotham itself and it's people lack the intensity, and emotion of the ticking thrills in the last 1 hr. and 30 min. But all in one, it's a screen-shattering legend with no fear, and an IMAX Classic, cracking a major impact in our souls and in cinema made for theater. Expand
  27. Dec 29, 2013
    Wasted a good opportunity to make an original movie ending an epic serie. However they tried too hard to copy the style and feeling of the second movie with touches of the first (the scenes away from the civilization). This ended up becoming too long' convoluted and without feeling.

The real problem however, is that most stuff isn't logic or believable, contrary to the precedent movie
    which had a pretty darn good suspension of disbelief ...

Selina has a nice figure in the usual black dress but not much more and it actually doesn't fit well into the atmosphere if the movie. Makes it look even more like a patchwork of styles and ideas, not well amalgamated
  28. Dec 17, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is an immensely satisfying conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy although it doesn't really match up to the heights of its predecessor.
  29. Dec 13, 2013
    A great final chapter to the great trilogy director Nolan brought to us, literally changing the game. However, it´s a step back from the second film "The Dark Knight". The acting is great and good new actors take center. The villain is good, which was difficult to achieve after the memorable Joker Heath Ledger gave us in the previous film. Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gorgon-Levitt play their parts really well. The film is visually impressive and the pace is not bad at all, but after the first hour there are some problems probably caused by the big ambitions the director had, wanting to make this film even bigger than the previous one. Honestly, there are a couple of plot holes. The grandiosity of what´s happening will make you forget about that, but it makes the film instantly worse than The Dark Knight. Again, the score by Hans Zimmer is outstanding and memorable. Overall, great film, the best and more ambitious blockbuster of 2012 along with Prometheus. Expand
  30. Nov 29, 2013
    The film isn't too shabby, as taking off eight years after the events in The Dark Knight. Now, it has a good story to it, which made it good, but the way it was put together could have been better. But overall, a movie that is worth seeing.
  31. Nov 29, 2013
    An epic conclusion that masterpiece by god, Nolan trilogy and the Man of Steel in the best genre films of superheroes, The Avengers are game for children.
  32. Nov 27, 2013
    Unfortunately this film is the weakest of the Christopher Nolan trilogy. The plot is too slowly paced and though the acting is strong, there is no sense of urgency. The film is shot wonderfully but the large scale almost loses the 'realness' created by the first two.
  33. Nov 6, 2013
    An Epic End To The Dark Knight Trilogy !!!,

**The Dark Knight Rises**

* This movie will give you the thrill and excitement up to the maximum which you would never would have expected. This movie is all around master piece it has brilliant screen play ,great direction and talented actors to perform which is a great formula to create and an epic movie Christopher Nolan is one of
    the most brilliant director and screen writer he shows his brilliance in this movie by making a great direction and brilliant screen play up to a maximum level which is hard to achieve he made this movie into a Master Piece This movie consist of talented actors and their performance was outstanding they were all beautiful in their respective roles.Its very enlightening to see interaction between these characters such as Batman and Catwoman their chemistry works very well during screen play!.Catwoman is new to this Batman sequel but has delivered a great performance which is a pleasant surprise The protagonist in this film Bane has done great job in this film even though its not the performance that has done better than joker in Dark Knight but still he did a fantastic job that no one could deny !each and every actors in this movie deserves an applause for their fantastic performance *Action sequence in this movie are exciting the choreography for stunt and fighting in this movie has done a fantastic job it displayed very beautifully in the big screen. *Overall the movie is Fantastic it wont bore you down at any movement Considering its 2 12 hour long and it does not have any moments which is dull It will gives you plenty of surprises and excitement which will makes you to watch this movie twice.

The Dark Knight Rises **********
    (10/10) Stars
  34. Nov 1, 2013
    There's just something special about the Batman games and films. They just feel epic and triple A... probably because they ARE. As cliché as the plot might be, it's done in such an epic, high quality manner that makes this one of the best films. Perhaps it's a lot less characterful and more predictable than the 2007 film, but everything about it is blockbuster action. OK so the storyline wasn't perfect and there were some gaps but if you try to follow just the main events, it's actually an amazing film even if you know nothing about the batman universe. It manages to be very mainstream without losing its core identity. For hardcore fans of Batman it's probably not the greatest but I'd still say it's worth watching even for its most ardent sceptics. Expand
  35. Oct 27, 2013
    this is undoubtely the best super heroe movie ever made so far,it don´t have a markable acting as heath ledger but still have an amazing story and great characters.
  36. Oct 25, 2013
    Typical sequel to an amazingly gritty and politically artistic film such as 'Dark Knight' Clumsily loose at times, especially the ending, in which the twist is not an enhancer. Rather sad that Ledger died. Id he'd lived, he'd surely be the main antagonist, and this feature would be an epic conclusion to the malevolent and sadistic "thing" that is the Joker of Heath Ledger. I'd also like the film a bit more if some deranged man hadn't gunned down an innocent group of enthusiastic moviegoers. It is enjoyable, mostly. Expand
  37. Oct 21, 2013
    There are serious plot holes, the fights lack skill and Catwoman is irritating. However the pacing is good, the stakes are high and Wayne proves himself to be a real hero who deserves some happiness.
    argonautis.eu
  38. Oct 7, 2013
    Nolan's vision is unmistakable, but the ride to that destination is riddled with questionable subplots, underwhelming editing, punch-less action sequences and Bane's 'cleared' voice.
  39. Sep 28, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is a flawed film and there are some plot holes and inconsistencies, but in the end the film is one of the best action blockbusters ever made. It's bold,daring,entertaining,and really shows that the Superhero subgenre can be more than a casual popcorn flick. The Dark Knight Rises is no masterpiece, but I really did enjoy the film. It's aesthetically pleasing with solid cinematography, incredible action set pieces, and a solid villain Bane. The film begins to feel sloppy and unfinished in it's final minutes,and that's where my main gripes come in. The movie is tonally inconsistent. The final minutes are generic,cliche and it feels like an entirely different movie altogether. It simply feels undercooked. That's my main gripe with the movie. The other flaws and gaps in judgement can be overlooked as it is still at it's core, a superhero movie. I respect Nolan for delivering an entertaining, thrilling blockbuster and I did like the movie alot. My rating:8.0/10 Expand
  40. Sep 21, 2013
    Good film, but it didn't wow me like its predecessor. There was really no standout performance when it came to acting either. All the acting was very good, but I didn't see that wow moment. I felt like they could have portrayed Bane better. It just doesn't have the magic that the other two films had. The ending was a bit strange as well. On the plus side, the plot was still solid, and there were no bad performances. Good visual effects and quality action scenes. And I liked the Liam Neeson cameo. Overall, I wasn't entirely impressed, but it kept my attention and it's worth watching. Expand
  41. Sep 19, 2013
    Back in 2005, a friend of mine asked me to watch Batman Begins at a local theatre in our city. Not knowing what the movie would be like, I went into the theater and found myself wondering with this question later: "Wait, so Batman is a ninja?"

I eternally grateful of my friend for asking me to watch the movie. My previous memory of Batman had been a silly latex costume with George
    Clooney in it as well as those silly one-liners from Mr. Freeze. Fast forward to 2005, Christopher Nolan directed an arguably the second best super hero movie-the first one is of course The Dark Knight-in his effort re-imagining the Cape Crusader and it was a global success. People knew that a sequel was by the door and Mr. Nolan did them justice by delivering The Dark Knight in 2008. People think that Batman Begins is one of the best super hero movies. However, when it comes to The Dark Knight, the movie is considered as one of the best movies of all time in the same league with The Godfather, Seven Samurai, and Pulp Fiction to name a few.

What about The Dark Knight Rises?

Frankly, in my opinion TDKR is the weakest movie in the series. While it was a great pleasure knowing Batman was a human after all, I found that the movie was a bit pacey in some parts. There were more characters in TDKR than in TDK and it made the story had a lot broader scope. In one point we saw Commisioner Gordon handling his guilt and in the next scene we were introduced by John Dagger, an evil businessman trying to control Wayne Enterprise. The acting was sub-Par for a movie this grand. Marion cottilard was plain as Miranda Tate and Christian Bale was just good-yeah, I expected better from him-. Thank God Tom Hardy was menacing as Bane. Having half his face covered with a mask, we could see how scary Bane was only from the gestures of his eyes.
    The logic was also a problem here. I mean, those revolutionaries must have been rookies as they couldn't even aim right and the officers were somewhat idiotic coming into a full force in underground sewers. I believe that in a real life situation a commissioner is only likely to deploy a small scouting force instead of having all arms in one place.
    That being said, the movie is still above average. The ending is really the ending Bruce Wayne hoping for since the first movie. I don't even want to comment on the soundtracks as they fit the movie just right.
    To conclude, while most people think that TDKR doesn't have the appeal TDK has, no one could argue that we have one of above average super hero movies.
  42. Sep 19, 2013
    The best installment of the Batman trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises is involving, gripping, and riveting. The story is on par, as well as a great cast new to the series (Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, etc.). The movie never lags, and Tom Hardy's Bane comes across as a testosterone-fueled hunk of a man who knows true pain and wants to do justice in his own twisted ways.

While
    some may say that the background story of Bane isn't what's in the comics, just stop. Did it fit the movie? Maybe it didn't, because I bet my ass director Christopher Nolan took that into consideration. I bet they did a screen test, and that storyline didn't work. To be honest, it's not that big of a detail and can be easily overlooked, and it didn't do any damage to the story. In fact, it made it *that* much more interesting. Expand
  43. Aug 29, 2013
    This movie is perfect in every single conceivable way. When people say that bane's voice is impossible to understand probably cover their ears singing one direction songs.
  44. Aug 24, 2013
    Really movie. The first movie from Nolan's trilogy was still comparable to brilliant Tim Burton's films. The second one was worse, but it had charismatic Joker in it. The third one has nothing to make it interesting. When i downloaded it, i expected to see a superhero movie, not a boring soap opera about a whiny girl in a cloak. Throughout the whole film Batman sucks. He did nothing useful or superheroic (he even lost the final battle to Bane, lol). Some people say that it's realistic portrait of superhero and it adds drama to a story, BUT WHO THE F*** NEEDS DRAMA IN THE MOVIE ABOUT THE GUY IN A SUIT WITH STICKING BAT EARS WHO IS BEATING A BUNCH OF PSYCHOPATHIC CRIMINALS? Besides, Nolan is bad at making dramatic moments, and they look terrible. Ok, it's fine, you showed me that it's hard to be a superhero and that Bruce is a man too. Can we now proceed to action? No?.. There are only a few fight scenes in the whole movie, and Batman loses most of them? Well, that's just great. Also, I honestly don't understand why someone thought that redesigned Bane would be more interesting than the original one from the comic series. He became just a usual bull with a funny mask. However, he still manages to be smarter than Batman, because in Nolan's interpretation he's just a moron. Like in that scene where he danced with the best pickpocket in Gotham and then was like: "Hey, she stole my Ferrari! Wow, I REALLY DIDN'T EXPECT IT!" (btw, that's why Burton's Batman was awesome: he would just trick Selina). And here comes the plot, which is really strange and stupid. It's not much stranger than the secret order of Shaolin monks from "Batman: Begins", which kinda doesn't suit the pseudo-realistic style of Nolan. However, the order of Shaolin monks was awesome and was way more entertaining and realistic than the underground prison somewhere in Middle East. Also, the plot twist with Wayne's bankruptcy is freaking ridiculous and dumb. A pack of armed criminals attacks bank, hacks it's network and runs away, and the operations made by them can't be denied? Yeah, that's realistic and dramatic. It's also funny how Bruce suddenly looses everything he had, like all of his money were stored in his company and he didn't make any caches. Finally, the film contains strong anti-revolutionary message, which is late for about 30 years, and some weird scenes like "WE FIGHT FOR AMERICA!!!"... Meh, pathetic. Expand
  45. Aug 23, 2013
    Nolan concludes his masterful trilogy with the most emotional of the bunch. Bale is better than ever, Hathaway both embodies and redefines Selina Kyle, and Hardy more than delivers as the hulking revolutionary Bane. Brimmed with action and unafraid to explore the great character we've come to love over the years, TDKR is a true masterpiece. Not to mention, it has one of, if not the most satisfying ending to any movie I've ever seen. Expand
  46. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a pretty good movie, but in no way does this compare to The Dark Knight at all. TDK has an interwoven plot with characters that matter, build off of each other, and provide us with so much emotion. The Joker uses Rachel and Harvey in ways no other villain has done before (and Heath Ledger gave an enduring performance in that very role). TDKR is a decent movie with a couple of characters thrown in there for the sake of being there, and has some cool fight scenes. I mean, do Selina Kyle and John Blake ever interact with Bane at all? No! And Miranda Tate's character is completely miscalculated. The "twist," when she stabs Bruce Wayne, comes out of no where. However, did it need to be her? Not at all. It's almost as if Christopher Nolan just put all of the characters' names in a jar, pulled one out, and said "this one will stab Batman." I love Nola, he is my second favorite filmmaker of all time. However, this is definitely a career low for him, which shows his abilities seeing as this isn't even a bad movie. Just a cool movie that could have been better had it not been misguided. Expand
  47. Aug 18, 2013
    There is exactly one witty line in the entire movie, when a stock trader tells Bane, "This is a stock exchange! There's no money you can steal!" and Bane replies, "Really? Then why are you people here?" Otherwise, this is a dreary, grim, and humorless two-and-a-half-hour slog through cartoonish mayhem and maudlin cliches. With plot holes so big, they literally and ironically can drive tanks through them. After a while, the dumb violence just gets more and more numbing and meaningless, and the film's political themes, if you can call them that, get more and more unfocused. All in all, I think this film detracts from the Batman canon, and I see no reason for Warner Bros. to continue with any of these story lines. Expand
  48. Aug 15, 2013
    Being an almost 3 hour long movie, at first I'll talk about the first 2 acts and after give this review the ending it deserves needs. SO:

The opening plane heist scene was great. Bane (Tom Hardy) was introduced as the menacing and very quotable presence he'll be until the very end. There was much fuss about his voice and mask, but Hardy delivers via body language, eye movement and
    there isn't a sentence he utters which isn't understandable (or greatly written).

Also in the first 10 minutes of TDKR we get a first glimpse of the good looking cat burglar, Selina Kyle and her first, of a few, interactions with Mr Wayne. Anne Hathaway gives surprising depth, ingenuity and playfulness to the character. She's my favorite new element to the franchise.

As for the returning cast, Bale, Caine, Freeman and Oldman, what's to say? Bale gives his best performance as Bruce Wayne, Fox, for what little he does, is entertaining, Gordon's conflicted and rattled personality is believable.

I almost forgot about Alfred Pennyworth: overly attached butler who cries a lot and spoils the ending 30 minutes into the movie. He's great!

A somewhat touching "side gag" is Lucious (Freeman) and Alfred playing a reverse game of "Have you met Ted Bruce?" with him and a certain Miranda Tit Tate.

Gordon-Levitt's Blake character however is redundant. The movie would've worked better without him. His performance is serviceable, the lines he gets are good, but he's there because he's a talented young actor. Also, he figures out who Batman is (like Tim Drake, the 2nd Robin but from a look on Bruce's face, then he's surprised by guns killing people and finds garbage trucks getting in the way of police blockades okay. That's not very consistent.

And there's Miranda Tate, played by Cotilliard. Remember her, she might be important.

The real highlights here are really the performances, character moments and the Bane scenes. You can feel the magnitude of when Batman finally returns to try and stop Bane. The action involving the Bat and the Bat-pod are awesome, those gadgets are just BAT-ASS while Bane's plans are executed with visual flare (just look at the football stadium scene, it was a blast). Unfortunately the fight scenes are of the quality of Star Wars re-enactment lightsaber battles, yet watching Bruce and Selina fight together is still fun.

BTW Batman's 8 year limp is cured by a magic knee brace. And if that was possible, WHY DID HE WAIT ALMOST A DECADE to make himself not limp?! I know he did this to be physically able to fight crime, but not being a cripple helps in other tasks also, like in not being robbed by maids. He must've been method training to play Keyser Soize in a Usual Suspects remake.

One fight scene achieves greatness, but because of its chilling atmosphere finally a brawl without dub step in the background- and inevitable conclusion.

From here on the movie takes several time jumps and cuts from Gotham to the underground prison Bruce is thrown and kept in, with a broken back. No worries, however, all it takes is a friendly prison hug and the back's good as new. And not killing the dark knight at the moment you can is the best plan ever! Said every Batman villain ever. This period illustrates how Gotham's doomed without its protector, because all they do is talk about a resistance. It's the movie equivalent of stoners' "You know what would be great? This...that," moments. Wayne's recovery is at least interesting, while the other's activities aren't boring .

I don't think that it shows, but up until this point, I was ready to love this movie, but then came the third act:

Fight scenes are even more ridiculous and firing weapons seem like laser tag guns. They have virtually no recoil and hit less people than storm troopers do.

They almost ruin Bane... TWICE. You're kidding me that their plan was to be blown up with the bomb, right? And he's a lovesick little boy... the problem was sort of solved by Selina.

If you think that death was out of nowhere, just wait until Talia al Ghul/Miranda Tate goes into limbo.

Lord of the Rings ending disorder. As a means of justification for Alfred's speeches and Blake's presence they have unnecessarily clean and overreaching endings..

To be fair, there were some really sweet moments, like Batman taking out thugs with some sort of thugs (which could've been useful against Bane, but whatever, bats are too macho for that), leading the police force to war, (seemingly) sacrificing himself for the city (it was very Batman-esque). The "everyone can be a hero" Gordon moment was inspired as well. So the problem isn't with the execution, questionable decisions are exclusively to blame for the aforementioned shortcomings.

The Dark Knight Rises is a good conclusion of a great trilogy and remains the 3rd best Batman movie out there, after its direct predecessors. Despite the flaws, too much great individual greatness is put in here to not call this movie good.
  49. Aug 12, 2013
    Christopher Nolan platformed his Batman story in a realistic universe with Batman Begins, continued it with a masterful hit in The Dark Knight, & couldn’t bare but finish his story with a third movie where he is inspired to raise the bar and the stakes in The Dark Knight Rises. This time, he and his brother construct one nerve shaking visual of raw intensity. Every theme and idea Nolan loves to experiment with, he fuses into this piece. Bale, Caine, Oldman, and Freeman all return for the ride. Including newcomers Gordon-Levitt, Cottilard, and of course Hardy. It’s a phenomenal story and it epitomizes what an ending to a trilogy or movie franchise should be. I’m not going to expose his formula, but it’s undeniably breathtaking and so impacting on every level...

With genuine archetypes, engaging story arks, sensibly distinguished and monumental characters, majestically inspiring elements, richly sobering themes, and heavily powerful climaxes. This has all the ingredients. Including a realistic vision that forces the direction of the story to naturally go in a dark place. Because what happens in movies seem like nothing at all, when in fact it’s quite more horrifying then we believe. And Nolan proves that by fashionably executing classic-inspired filmmaking and ingeniously capturing realistic intensities of situations through organically put-together set pieces, utilized for the screen. Ultimately delivering a true visually real, orgasmic movie with breathtaking moments of cinema that’ll have you shaken by a whirlwind of emotions. Defying the idea that movies are fake and not real. Therefore, making the screen come to life, hitting the audience an extraordinary tone. Making audiences feel the reality of the true conflicts that happen on screen, and the conflicts Nolan materializes for the screen in the story of The Dark Knight Rises is heavily captivating, spectacularly dynamizing, and more ambitious than ever. All of that in IMAX scale is a crazy roller coaster ride. Butterflies galore.

Bane as the villain in this is the ultimate villain. He imposes the most paramount threat. Watching him was spine-tingling and the portrayal was initially terrifying. He's not as memorable as can be, but he's still a badass villain of and for cinema. His dubbing did lose some realness in his character making him appear more video-gameish than a real afflicted & constrained villain. Every appearance, although, has you shaking & gulping with fear and intimidation. However, his fear isn’t nearly as sustaining as the Joker’s was in The Dark Knight.

I know Nolan wants to make the movie to look and feel real. But the movie’s visual is already so heavy, the anxious cropping and trimming of scenes, and the addition of speaker-imploding sounds just adds so much weight to the experience, it’s almost too much to handle. Rises believes it’s achieving wonders and it is, but to some the rhythm and flow may be uneasy. Just because that's way it should be doesn't mean it becomes the masterpiece it intends to be. Also, the movie felt too short and needed an extra 30 or 40 to help the audience a little because a lot happens in the story and for some viewers they may find their emotions left behind, not able to reconnect as they lose themselves from the pace. I did want more from some things, but I think that’s what makes Rises so good. That it allows the audience to enagage their own imaginations into the world as you feel shortchanged by some things not shown. Personally, I love ambition and whenever I see it, myself and my emotions are right their for the ride. In the end, the film took me so far (feeling nearly a 4-5 hour experience) I’ll never forget it. The best theatre movie I’ve ever seen. Half of the movie was filmed in IMAX. I mean it’s made for that big screen. However the heaviness can rumble some out of the experience and may confuse and befuddle some with the manner in which it tells the story.

Needless to say, this stands as a towering powerhouse in the motion picture universe. A picture that offers non-stop waves of sensation leaving you speechless, scene after scene, with so many magnificent moments and adding that with a raw visual for entertainment including overpowering ideas for heart-stopping spectacle Yeah, it’ll leave most with huge smiles. It certainly did me. I won’t give away any of the story, but prepare to go through a whirlwind of emotions as a viewer. The Dark Knight Rises will toss you around, shock you, and leave you with Nolan’s best minutes of delivered moviemaking, with an ultimate enticing signature of satisfaction. It’s visual and story is ever-enduring, and the mark it's made on cinema is obvious and massive. The level of craftmanship is beyond words. Sadly, the Academy is more on the degree than the level. Even if there’s small things that do take away the full thrust of the movie’s visual through emphasis and emotion, Rises truly formulates the most complete conclusion to the most impacting trilogy.
  50. Aug 5, 2013
    Christopher Nolan puts an explosive exclamation mark on his incredible Batman trilogy. It's rare that trilogies succeed all the way through, but this movie ends the trilogy in hauntingly memorable fashion with all the emotion, terror and heroism that defines the caped crusader and the world around him.
  51. Jul 29, 2013
    Updated...improved..I'm Glane Mask..scar..e..nhas. The dark Knight Rises is based on every movie (B grade even) ever made, it is based on every episode of every tv show (reality show,food show), on every classic disney movie,disney cartoon, on every cartoon, on Fraggle Rock & The Muppets Turtles, on every episode of every anime series (on animax/), on every video game ever made, on every comic book, on every classic Brit comedy, on every music video, on Daystar, God tv & Ewtn, on thousands of true stories, on world history, current affairs, bulls & bears, on the lives of famous people, on news shows, on every WWF match & the WWE, on (espn) sports channels, on every B/T..ollywood formula masala flick, on every chopsockeye kung fu flick, on even foreign films, even foreign tv shows, on adverts & much much more. Bane's back can also be his front (back 2 the front) (Sagat..with his scar (bending backwards), Kazuya, Mother mouser, The T rex robocop/ Caine, Dolph's 'uni sol'-- The sumo (baby) Mahjin Buu (bending backwards), DOOM'S Pan/Centaur & Motaro),Roast turkey/pig, Baby birds, Bufallo Bill, A lame lamb/dude, A war..ped burnt horrifying tree. Bane's heart/neuron('s)/star('s)/teeth/french beard/parrot nose & jutting chin/wires/Mickeys Sonic's nose...is also Tong Pos/Dhalsim's/Wong Fe Hung's.. hair. Overturn his head...His french beard is now his mohawk....Shining face. The echo...Kamehamehaaa!!!. Bane, Bentley, Benz, train, plane, crane,coach/bus ...Bane is based on every mobile phone, computer, household appliance, bathroom fitting, piece of furniture, arcade machine/ anything shaped. Bane is A pumped up/empowered/irradiated/mutated everyman (put your horrible photograph on that buffed body...yok yok.). How did Nolan do it? He shore aint all 'Nowing'. This is how I think he cracked the code for this supernatural script. He took...lets say...A 1000 of the best & classic movies, a 1000 of the best episodes of every tv show, A 1000 of the premier comix, of the best & no 1 novels and so on. He then looked for what these have in common. The rest was automatic. (He's (Bane/TDKR) alive! He's growing!)...Yeah..maybe something like that. Chew on that...food for thought..get intepreting. There is A (true) good Bane & A Bad Bane. There is no good & bad Bane/Batman. His big heart is his mind/brain filled with truth his purrfect spirit. This is the intepretation of the Iron Man 3 movie....It is based on The king of fighters games- America's got talent & Ugly Betty, on the WWF (Rick Rude, Jesse Ventura, Hulk, Brutus, Undertaker...Lex Luger VS Yokozuna), on everybody loves Raymond, on the big bang theory, on star Trek/Wars, on Flash Gordon, on Superman 2, on He-Man, on Showdown in little Tokyo, on Boney M videos, on Kickboxer Bloodsport & double impact, on super double dragon on super Mario, on Doom, Duke, on Robocop, Judge Dredd, on T2, Last action hero, Commando, on dragonball Z, on Dragonball evolution on night terrors, on street fighter, mortal kombat, Bad dudes, Mercs, on Quo Vadis, on Batman Begins, on samurai showdown, Batman Forever, on Turtles 2 (movie), on ten simple rules, on Turtles Smash Up, on Die Hard 3, on Gi-Joe, on Kung Fu flicks, on the Bolly movie- Blacklmail, on Halo, on Job's trouble, on great expectations, Guy's mandarin is A blinkin/shining/glowing...games Boss/character, His body is A ripped sausage...& leavened/overgrown bread/A half baked/A broken loaf, Guy is A sun/A star..A galaxy...A cluster of galaxies, on Spiderman 3,on (I gotcha) Babe, on mercury poisoning, Mandarin-Kyle Reese, on Batman arkham city, on Bond, on Final Fight, on Tekken, on the Dark Knight Rises, on Friends, on Ghost, on God of war, on Predator, on X-Men (origins),on mind your language,A finger 2 the head-Battlefield of the mind, A dancin cobra, Christian tv, 9 11, The Iron Man looks like he's dribbling/bouncing A ball (in poster)-- on Goku blowing out the lamps, on Turtles 2 Battle Nexus, on soul calibur, on Titanic, on horror flicks with a cabin in the woods, on westerns, on Dragonball Evoloution, on He-
    man defender of grayskull (Iron'y (arm) is A tree in poster), Hulk, on Green Arow, on True Lies, on Life Force, Contra, on Linkin Parks....I'm Blue..la da de ai.., on Jacobs trouble, on MK Annhialation, on Spiderman the movie, on phantom, on Abe Lincoln, on Rush Hour, T3, Aerosmiths-livin on the edge, universal soldier, popeye, Hellboy, Brosnans movie somethin man, Reiko's fatality (MK4),Die Hard,....Thats enough!!..On the days I saw these flicks....those nights I looked out the window at the great dove in the sky and I recieved the gifts of these revelations into my spirit man...(then slowly released)into my long term memory bank. The day B4 yesterday...I saw- I dont know how she does it...A not so brilliant romantic comedy...but it was right. Once I found A black blob in my pav (indian bread) I finally tossed the whole thing into the trash.
  52. Jul 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dark Knight was the best superhero movie ever. The Dark Knight Rises is terrible and following Dark Knight makes it even worse. Vaguely ugly Ann Hathaway could have sunk it by herself, her character and acting are torture. The movie is long and boring and super predictable. The bad guy bane is the only interesting character until he is turned into a cliche bad guy half way through. A huge fall off from the first two of this three movie series, by far the worst. Not even worth watching in hindsight, save yourself the torture. Expand
  53. Jul 24, 2013
    this movie is amazing but its still is number 2 on the trilogy list. i watched this movie on release and it was amazing every aspect of it was amazing. batman is my favorite batman comic book super hero, when i was 5 years old there was the movie of batman&robin and awful games and i thought to myself when will batman have a good time,well its definetly now, with the succesful trilogy of the dark knight and the amazing game franchise of the arkham games. for now batman has a very good time. but the trilogy is over so i hope that when they will do a new batman movie(superman vs batman 2015) i hope they whouldnt mess it up. and i hope that the arkham franchise will stay as good as it is now. so thats it this movie is a masterpiece but you will probably whouldnt listen to me becuase the movie is out for a year and 5 days but if you didnt saw it and it is on tv or you want to buy the dvd dont think just watch it. Expand
  54. Jul 24, 2013
    Overall this movie is enjoyable and worth seeing. However the beginning was slow and it took a long time for the action to start. It's a good movie but unfortunately doesn't live up to the first two films.
  55. Jul 22, 2013
    Pretty boring...The dark knight rises is the worst batman movie i ever seen..in other words: horrible.....me quede dormido en el cine jajajaja................
  56. Jul 19, 2013
    Extremely well acted. Good pacing. Strong story line. Slight problem with the continuity of the story, and banes voice. Sound's like Jeff Bridges wearing a muzzle.
  57. Jul 14, 2013
    This movie was amazing. I was skeptical because after reaching what I thought was the that was The Dark Knight. After battling a man whose essence is evil I wasn't sure about a villain who is just about power. DKR was pleasantly surprising. Its a long movie, but each moment was action packed and crucial to the story. I will not spoil, but one of the best endings I have seen in a long time. The villains, I believe, fall a LITTLE short of the joker, but other than that, the movie and the acting are truly exemplary. Lets not forget the soundtrack is unbelievable! Expand
  58. Jul 12, 2013
    There is no lack of ambition or big ideas nor can someone blame Nolan for not trying to go a step further. However, the result of this grandiose attempt seems muddled and it falls below the standards of a great storyteller, not just for this trilogy, but for his whole filmography.
  59. Jul 10, 2013
    The conclusion to the great comic-book franchise is a memorable one. Although it did sums up some of the background story from previous Batman movies, there were some boring moments. Batman will always be an epic icon to the comic-book world among other heroes. The music on the other hand by Hans Zimmer are his best ones so far.
  60. Jul 5, 2013
    A 2hr 30min movie and one hell of a movie! It's an amazing and epic last in a trilogy. Whilst I don't think it can ever top the The Dark Knight, it offers an epic, darker edge and emotional story. It shows the rise and fall of Bruce Wayne, once has met his match physically. Nolan makes more epic scale action scenes. His characters are useful and aid Gotham in Batman's absence as Bane who has a deadly presence on screen has Gotham rigged with a nuke. The climax isn't exciting though and pretty dull, though the ending is touching and epic. I like how they tried to introduce a Robin character and acknowledged that the batman could be anyone with the right courage. I think for a last in the series, it does what it should do and wrap everything up into a tie, but there still something holding it back from me but I don't know what. Expand
  61. Jul 4, 2013
    A cinematic triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring and extremely satisfying as far as Nolan's Batman trilogy goes. It conquers all the doubts about this movie, its beautifully executed, very well written, impressively acted out, wonderfully shot and just downright good. DAMN ITS GOOD! It's the right way to end an epic trilogy. The antagonist was menacing and the movie came with a very well played out plot twist. The movie is just perfect, its without flaw, if there was one thing I could change about the movie, well........................there isn't anything I would change about this movie. And the acting! DUDE, THE ACTING!!!! Its just amazing, as always, Christian Bale kills it as Batman and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman! Need I say more? Go watch this movie, NOW!!! Expand
  62. Jul 2, 2013
    I honestly have never been so excited to watch a movie as soon as it releases especially after seeing a great origin story of a superhero in BATMAN BEGINS and possibly the best SUPERHERO movie of all time in THE DARK KNIGHT. This is and will be the best end to a great trilogy.It may not surpass its predecessor but is surely on par with it.Great job Chris Nolan.
  63. Jul 2, 2013
    As one of the most eagerly anticipated movies of recent times The Dark Knight Rises arrived carrying huge expectations following the hugely successful and a genuine modern great, The Dark Knight. So, the big question.. Does it deliver and live up to the hype? Absolutely! The Dark Knight Rises is quite simply sensational. There will be many debating whether it's better than The Dark Knight, personally i'd say it's on par perhaps slightly edging ahead but nonetheless it's no crime as The Dark Knight was a classic. The film itself picks up 8 years on, where Batman has gone into exile and Gotham is prospering under the newly found peace. However, the emergence of a thief, Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway) catches Bruce Wayne's attention but it's only with the arrival of the terrorist, a mercenary Bane (Tom Hardy) that Bruce's alter ego is forced back into action. The opening sequence to this movie is magnificent!! It introduces the villain, Bane, in fantastic fashion. The scene is superb and immediately establishes the character. Tom Hardy faced an almost impossible taking on the villainous Bane after Heath Ledger's inconic performance as The Joker but he delivers an absolutely amazing performance! He's genuinely outstanding. Bane is big, bold and brutal but clearly a mastermind and given the fact he wears the 'mask' Hardy is truly tremendous. The performance is sold through his eyes, he makes Bane such an intriguing mesmerising antagonist. His voice caused controversy but he makes it such a pivotal part of the character. It's genius in all honesty! I never thought it would be possible to surpass The Joker but Bane is easily my favourite film of the trilogy. Anne Hathaway also excels as Catwoman. She encapsulates the character of Selina Kyle perfectly whether it's the fake fragile and innocent side or the sexy bad ass, Hathaway oozes class. Tops the original Catwoman for me. She is superb! Jospeh Gordon-Levitt also comes on board and rookie cop John Blake but ends up playing a massive part of the film. Marion Cotillard also has a small but vital role is environmentalist Miranda Tate. And last but not least, Christian Bale. The best Batman ever no doubt and cements his legacy as the Caped Crusader with his best outing yet. TDKR is by far the most emotional of all 3 of Nolan's films. In many ways it's inspiring just like Batman intended to be and there's one iconic and legendary scene in the film that all true Batman fans will appreciate. The breaking of the Bat! It actually left the cinema in silence and many mouths a gasp. It was expertly delivered. The action however is where this film is an unbelievable triumph. It's a blockbuster in every sense of the word. The scale and set-pieces are taken to new heights. It's glorious and leads to a stunning and spectacular finish with all out war in Gotham! Nolan has always been a master at storytelling and he truly cements this in the closing chapter, it's full of suspense and anxiety and that's where this movie thrives! He is a genius at work, when was the last time you actually believed a superhero could die? In it's own right it's an absolute colossal movie. Absolutely awesome throughout even with the 2hr 45mins running time, time never stops it's an entrhalling, exhilariting, emotionally driven action blockbuster that's utterly unmissable. EPIC! Serving as a conclusion to Nolan's trilogy this is film making of the highest calibre. He succeeds in every depertment and brings The Dark Knight full circle. It touches on everything that's gone before all the way back to Batman Begins and leaves you in awe of what he has managed to achieve and accomplish with these 3 films. He has turned Batman into a household franchise once again. Christopher Nolan has taken the Dark Knight to exceptional new heights! He has given us the greatest superhero trilogy ever to be assembled. Whoever assumes the reigns will have a monumental task! Expand
  64. Jun 27, 2013
    As far as superhero movies go, the Dark Knight is still one of the better "sequels", and the Dark Knight Rises is such a bad step in the wrong direction. The reasons for my disappointment are in how bland the cast is this time, especially the supporting cast, which the previous 2 movies got right. The plot becomes complicated for no good or interesting reasons, and there is no witty, funny, or memorable lines from any characters this time. Bane has promise, and as the movie continues it's apparent that there is nothing separating him from any other average villain. The movie falls short in a lot of ways, but the main problem of the film is how choppy the pacing can be, and how forced some of the decisions made and emotion can be. Expand
  65. Jun 27, 2013
    This is definitely the most action packed of the Batman trilogy, and I can't complain. The action is fronted by the new villain, Bane, who is both interesting and destructive.
    It's an excellent movie and a great end to the trilogy, however the dialogue in the movie is not very well written as compared to, say, the Dark Knight.

8.6/10
  66. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was great in the first hour, didn't really make TOO much sense, but it's Batman, nothing makes sense.
    Then, in a single scene, the entire character development for Bane in this movie crumbles and gets shat on, followed by the worst acted death I have ever seen in a movie since the room.
    Then, the moment that could have made it for me, when he was taking the bomb out in the Bat, that scene was so sad, I legitimately thought he was gonna die, but of course it's Batman, the kind of cop outs.
    He magically jumped out of the Bat seconds before the bomb blew up, survived the huge explosion that would have taken out Gotham completely, swam for miles and miles, made it out, met with Cat Woman, took her out to that one restaurant in the middle of bufu Egypt and waited for his god damn butler every day in the same seat while no one recognized one of the most famous people of Gotham who was reported dead a while ago, oh, I almost forgot how happy Gothan citizens were that the explosion didn't kill them, but the radiation will, slowly and painfully.
  67. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very good spectacle as well as a great piece of social commentary. Again, Nolan has breated a "thinking man's" blockbuster (although it is not without its flaws)

Spiritually, this is more of a successor to "Batman Begins" than to "Dark Knight," although the ghost of Harvey Dent does loom large in the film.

The initial set-piece with Bane and the airplane takeover is very well done. Not knowing the comic books, I did like Bane as a character. And to compare to Heath Ledger's joker is really unfair to both Hardy and Ledger-Bane is a very different beast, with a different plan.

The part of the film I liked the least was the "switcheroo" ending revealing the true identity of Miranda Tate. It was completely unnescesary and did not add much to the outcome of the film other than Bane's death not being the end, and adding a few more minutes of tension .

I also wish they could have done a better job with Bane's voice...he just sounded like Mr. Magoo speaking into a paper towel roll. I think the voice was dubbed in as well. This was most evident as Bane was beating Batman senseless underground.

Selina Kyle/Catwoman was some good eye-candy from Anne Hathaway, but she did not add much to the film to me. This movie was mostly about a "retired" Batman rising again to meet the new threat posed by Bane.

One more thing...I don't know about you, but if I'm driving around a truck with a NUCLEAR FRICKIN' BOMB on board, I'm gonna drive a lot more carefully than it was driven at the end of the movie.
  68. Jun 18, 2013
    While there is some comic inaccuracies more notable in this film than the first two. DKR is an amazing conclusion to the best Batman films yet. Tom Hardy is outstanding as Bane, Gary Oldman is outstanding as Gordon, but it's Anne Hathaway who steals the show with a legendary performance as Catwoman.
  69. Jun 15, 2013
    A very good movie that's definitely worth watching and is still better than nearly every superhero movie, but in that lies the problem. It is not as good as The Dark Knight. It is better in some things like emotional depth, and it has a better story overall, but it doesn't truly leave its genre. Unlike The Dark Knight, it is not a genuine crime thriller in the vein of The Departed. This is because Nolan's direction has went backwards in terms of attention to detail, especially in the action department, and he's added to many far fetched elements, such as Bane being able to punch through walls. Speaking of Bane, Tom Hardy is a very good villain. He's very scary, but he still can't match the pure insanity of Ledger. I know it sounds like I don't like this movie but I was just comparing it with The Dark Knight. On its own terms the movie is dark beyond belief, intricately plotted, well acted, and emotionally involving and sometimes wrenching. If not for the Dark Knight this would be the best superhero movie ever made. If you're a fan of Nolan's movies in any way, or if you just like movies in general, please watch it. Expand
  70. Jun 15, 2013
    A good movie, but I expected great. The biggest problem with this movie is everybody is going in with high expectations and it doesn`t live up to it.The story was good, but I wanted more Batman and less Bruce Wayne.I really did like Bane, but not the ending fight.
  71. Jun 13, 2013
    This movie was spectacular!!! It kept you in suspense the whole time while your at the edge of your chair! I absolutely loved it! there was no problem or nothing that bugged me in the film it was an amazing masterpiece! The ending to the whole trilogy was just breathtaking it was also emotional with a little hype to it. I give it a solid 10 out of 10. I saw it in IMAX and it was mind blowing. The Dark Knight Rises is a can not miss movie. Go buy it on dvd if you haven't watched it yet! The movie kept everyone hyped. The theater was pack and everyone gave a big round of applause at the end. Like I said again a solid 10 out of 10! Expand
  72. Jun 12, 2013
    This movie is very intense and very amazing. This is the best batman movie ever and the action was so great and successful. Making bane the villain in this movie was a perfect choice since he's one of batman's darkest villains. This movie is exciting every time i watch it no matter what.
  73. Jun 10, 2013
    Action, Drama, Suspense, Excellent twist in a movie. Christopher Nolan is like the best director these days. The best series of batman with a great ending. Would like to watch another batman film from christopher nolan. Watched it twice in the cinema
  74. Jun 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i actually felt manipulated after watching this movie because there is so little sense that this movie makes
    and there is so many technical errors that leaves you scratching your head.
    and i know that the music were good and there are some epic scenes like the one with kidnapping the scientist from the plane but these mistakes simply destroyed the movie entirely such as :
    Wayne escape from a hole in Istanbul and next thing you know he show up at Gotham city with no torture remarks on his face or body.
    the guy with the patch on his eye in the hole with Wayne never speaks English until the last scene
    the fact that Wayne shows up at Gotham just when Selina was saving a kid and returning his apple AND WHY DID SHE BITE THAT APPLE BEFORE GIVING IT BACK
    also the fight scene between Batman and Bane when they through all their weapons and start a hand fight REALLY ?
    how come someone can steal a money from the stock exchange using an Ipad with an adapter
    and the last scene when batman escaped from a nuclear holocaust makes the movie so much worse
    also the fact that the bad guy was around you all the time shows a lack of imagination and destroyed the story for good.
    so in the end i think that the only way that you can enjoy this movie is by being a die-hard fan to the series who don't pay attention to details or not trying to seek sense in the story.
  75. Jun 2, 2013
    this movie is amazing awesome story that actually makes sense great actors, explosions, action, scope, etc. everything was awesome I love this movie...although the dark knight was better imo. Bane was the best character very likeable villian. everyone should watch this movie at least once.
  76. May 31, 2013
    Once again, Nolan makes another great Batman film. Anne Hathaway was amazing as Catwoman and Tom Hardy was terrifying as Bane. Was it better than The Dark Knight? No, but it was really close. This movie was, without a doubt, the best summer movie of 2012. The ending was fantastic. Thank you Christopher Nolan for giving us an amazing trilogy!
  77. May 28, 2013
    The disappointing third installment in the series causes me to wonder if Nolan ever had any love for the source material in the first place. Batman is absent, No-Man's-Land isn't well portrayed, and the movie's desperate attempt to surpass its predecessors results in an awfully silly premise.
  78. May 27, 2013
    I wanted to be story like this. About a Boy,Bane who lived almost all his life on bed with Blood transfusion, and oxygen mask who became very strong one day.
  79. May 21, 2013
    Great film, second best of the trilogy after The Dark Knight. Really, it's different to the other films in the trilogy but has some interesting themes.
  80. May 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Talk about hype, last time I checked this was one of the most hyped movies of 2012, and it had quite an impression on most people. Some said it was bad, that it was the worst one of the whole trilogy, and one of Nolan's worst movies. By those words it seems like this is a really bad movie, but this is really just the minority speaking when in actuality this is certainly an enjoyable picture. Probably one of the most exciting facts about this film was that Bane; a iconic Batman villain from the comics, would be the major villain. They got an actor named Tom Hardy to play as him; from one Nolan's previous films Inception, and he gives quite a great performance. Some have said the fact of making Bane's voice sound like a British person; or whatever funny joke you can think of, is rather ridiculous and takes away any menace the character has. I think that it's a change in Nolan to switch up in the type of bad guys he puts in his film, he most likely didn't want to repeat himself with what he did in the dark knight; which is why the studios thought of just choosing the Riddler for the villain. Enough talk about the antagonist; that comes later, there are other performances in this movie that are good, Christian Bale is probably at his best here; the voice doesn't help at all, giving settlety to the scene he's in at the right time. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman; actually I don't know if they actually refer to her as Catwoman, but she's a likeable character even though she's doing such devious deeds. Now for the story, I'm just going to say it right now: this film is not as good as the last one, and it shouldn't come to anyone's surprise. it's just too hard for filmmakers to keep a good pace of great ideas and direction to make every film in their franchise good or better than the last one. With that out of the way, the story for this one is interesting to say the least, not as "realistic" as the last one, but it sure is reminiscent of a story I love: Akira, in how a part of the world is cut off from society. Throughout the story it does at times border being bad, talking about a bomb that will go off in 6 months, you just have to ask yourself: WHY? This film really wanted to show Batman/Wayne at his lowest, which seems to be a common thing with comic book movie now a days, and I think it does this well; even I personally think the series is better than this, and it is not a negative thing at all. This film is cruel at times for what it does to characters; like I said previously, which can turn some people off and make them want to watch the Avengers. The ending is what upsets many and myself about this film, first off: Bane is actually a handyman for the real villain,..blow me. Batman escapes a nuke, that sentence alone shows how non-sensible this is. Despite that stupid ending, this is a great film, extremely well made and directed. Sure I wish there were some changes, but I'm happy with what we got. Expand
  81. May 12, 2013
    Its between The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Better than Batman Begins but worse than the Dark Knight. I really liked the ending though.
  82. May 10, 2013
    I really loved this movie, everything about it is perfect, the plot is well tied, the acting is excelent, the ending is fantastic, the action scenes that are more abundantly aparencem very well made​​, and closes with style this epic trilogy.
  83. May 6, 2013
    One of my favourite movies of all time, and the only one that was good enough to draw me back to the cinema to see it a second time. The acting is spot on, the action thrilling and the soundtrack makes every scene ten times as immersive. It is true that there are some plot holes throughout but these do not detract from the overall experience in anyway and are easy to look past. The perfect Batman film. Expand
  84. May 4, 2013
    Although The Dark Knight Rises can't top The Dark Knight, it was a great movie that knew what it was; a worthy closing chapter to a trilogy. TDKR sets the trilogy as the best comic-book trilogy of all time for being just an epic conclusion and a great movie. Although I wasn't happy with some of the plot points, they worked for the movie and can be forgiven dune to the epic action sequences.
  85. May 2, 2013
    overall a bit disappointing and very confused in itself not as good or exciting as the previous movie and takes itself way too seriously.....
    even the action sequences seemed a bit too staged for my liking
  86. Apr 28, 2013
    I seem to have trouble placing this flick into a proper genre. Surely, it can't be called a superhero movie since (costumed) Batman appears for only 20 or so minutes of the total 165 of running time (I'm afraid that more adequate title would be 'Bruce Wayne Rises'). That's just one of the many flaws of this pompous project, but let's start from the beginning...
    First and most important:
    the film is BORING! Yes, that's right. It's not about how long it is, but about the dull plot infested with holes and unconvincing performances... which brings us to second...
    The entire cast is ill chosen! Tom Hardy as Bane?! Bane is supposed to be a massive powerhouse, not a bloated dwarf! Although Hardy is a great actor, this role does not suit him. Even with all cinematic tricks used to make him look bigger it's painfully obvious that he's average size at best. Furthermore, in order to make Bane look more intimidating, Bale was forced to lose a significant weight thus making Batman appear as if he would have a hard time taking out a strung-out junkie. In fact, with Gordon insufficiently developed (which was the case in all the previous installments as well) and Alfred reduced to a mere crybaby, most memorable performances are those of Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
    Three: Fights are very, VERY poorly choreographed! Each punch that Batman throws is telegraphed and looks like it's thrown by a person who never hit anything in his life. Bale could have really taken some fighting lessons prior to the filming, because this is so unconvincing that I can't even begin to describe it.
    Four: Plot itself makes little to no sense. Subplots are actually far more intriguing (if anything about this film can be called intriguing, that is). Ending is both disappointing and ridiculous making you wonder why you wasted almost three hours of your life on this apparently rushed out and clunky flick.
    Oh yeah... I still can't get over Batman's idiotic throat talk. The one who came up with that idea should be killed on spot!
  87. Apr 15, 2013
    the dark knight rises is an amazing movie and is a worthy sequel to the dark knight and in my opinion is even better than the dark knight, a masterpiece in the true sense of the word, a solid performance by all actors specially tom hardy, i am a long time batman fan and it was a sad moment for me to see the legend end the trilogy as a whole is the best trilogy ever imho, the final act was just so symbolic and brilliant Expand
  88. Apr 14, 2013
    A great movie, the worst of the series, but still fantastic. Operates on a huge scale, great characters all around, but no one as great as Ledger in The Dark Knight(which is basically impossible). Hardy does a great job as Bane, Oldman Bale and Caine are good as usual. Great all around
  89. Apr 12, 2013
    Boy, was I disappointed when I saw this film for the first time. I went with my brothers and girlfriend and there was an overwhelming sense of, nothingness. The opening scene was pretty rad, but after that the film just kind of flops. A ridiculous amount of filler, nonsensical story line twists, awful editing and audio. Even worse was the ending, without any spoilers all I'm saying is... Don't get your hopes up. Probably the worst ending to a film I've seen in a long time. Bane was okay, but there are hundreds of better batman villains. Overall, a pretty awful film. Expand
  90. Apr 7, 2013
    Rarely do I have as many mixed feelings and opinions after having seen The Dark Knight Rises. It felt epic. It was moving. It felt long. It worked well as a book-end to the trilogy. It felt forced. The performances were excellent. Anne Hathaway as Selena the Cat Woman. Joseph Gordon- Levitt as Blake, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and so on. The last 30 minutes were just fantastic, worth the previous
    two-plus hour wait. Better than the Batman Begins but fell short of
    Heath Ledger's Dark Knight (could that movie been as good without
    him?).

Overall I think it suffered from being too grandiose by trying to do
    too much. The multiple acts didn't click together as they did in The
    Dark Knight. The suspension of disbelief was less "suspended" than
    utterly confounded how did Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) go from
    emaciated cripple to muscle-bound butt-kicker in one day? And the
    finale, while enjoyable, had so many twists and conveniences it would
    have made my head spin if I wasn't enjoying it so much.

To be fair, I think the best way to judge The Dark Knight Rises is as
    an attempt to close an epic story-line with a focus on continuity
    between the three films, reinforcing Nolan's conflicting "hopeful
    nihilism" philosophy. I look forward to watching all three back-to-back
    to see his vision uninterrupted by tragic events and the passage of
    time.
  91. Apr 7, 2013
    For me this is really an extremely over-hyped movie. and thanks to the hype it led me to be a bit disappointed. For a movie about Batman, Batman isn't really in it that much. Tom Hardy does a great job of portraying Bane & Anna Hathaway is a fantastic Catwoman. But even with top end effects and great acting, it does not save it from some sloppy writing. So much detail went inot almost everything in this movie, yet there are so many plot holes and "convenient" occurrences to give this film the credibility it desperately wants. On top of that, it has soooo much padding that it feels like it goes on forever. This movie could easily have been cut down to a more reasonable running time. Still, I digress. I still think it is a great movie. Not as good as the previous one but better than all the other batman movies (aside from Tim Burton's Batman.)

Overall: Dark Knight Rises perhaps tries to do too much and in that gets a little lost at times. Still, Nolan did succeed to make an epic ending to his saga and I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
  92. Mar 24, 2013
    Finally, after four years of waiting, we were able to enjoy the long-awaited end of the masked hero's incredible trilogy of the amazing Mr. Nolan.
    I thought that would outsell its predecessor epic The Dark Knight, but it's obvious the series, it was not, but the movie itself is very good.
    Sadly, the film is very scattered and disjointed, the weakest of the three in the section of the
    script, do not understand what your goal, which meant the goal of Bane is too absurd, too much work for you all to focus on revenge rather limited, meanwhile, the goal of Talia no sense, because it was destroyed to make Batman see his dream and that people show their true colors, but this dream was not destroyed after five months, only is about to destroy the city with the pump and that's it .
    Plot was simple, the former was glorious in that aspect.
    Batman recovered if it was Rocky and suddenly the cops are released from the sewers, join him as having been buried for a day, why not have the effect of staying five months underground without any hygiene without sick and ready for combat?, that there is as swallowing.
    The scene of the well is very good but has a good error,
    seem a paid vacation to a spiritual retreat to recover, then nothing happens, the inmates give advice, not cure, do not mess with him, are limited to support for leaving What the hell is going on in this movie?
    Among many things can be seen in the film, the rating I give them doubtful result, but despite its flaws script, is highly recommended, the performances are very good, the direction of Mr. Nolan is still epic.
    Not as I expected, really, but as you guessed, Mr. Nolan did not disappoint. The Dark Knight Rises shows the greatness of christhoper nolan to direct monumental works of film and proves once again, the true greatness of this character. My Score: 9.5
  93. Mar 24, 2013
    This not only an epic conclusion to Chris Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, it was an epic conclusion to a summer filled with excitment. Not only was the storyline and acting fantastic, two characters really stuck out. Bane and Catwoman. Tom Hardy really brings in the fear of Bane with his incredible acting and dark complection to a wonderful villan. Anne Hathaway showcase's a sexy cat who can kick some serious butt. She truly is one of the greatest actresses of 2012. Surprisingly, i thought it was better than "The Dark Knight", but that's just me. I think the story is more darker and engaging than Dark Knight, but the Joker (Heath Ledger) is still the greatest villan ever. Overall, it's a tremendous movie, GO SEE IT! Expand
  94. Mar 14, 2013
    The final installment in the best superhero movie franchise of all time is equal to its predecessors. The additions of Tom Hardy as Bane and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman are great and Michael Caine continues tobe the standout performance.
  95. Mar 11, 2013
    This movie is amazing, regardless of all the cliches, and retarded moments like how bruce got cable reception from a prison detached from the outside world. This movie still provided the best possible entertainment and an amazing ending that surprised me.
  96. Mar 9, 2013
    Nolan shows his skills again.I can't tell you how awesome this movie was,from beginning to end perfect and don't comparable! The movie tells us a story ,that we all known from the news,about terrorism.And that isn't all ,it's interesting what all you can find in this movie when you pay attention for it. And then the amazing end.TDKR is epic.A spectacle that you must have seen.
  97. Mar 6, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is such an amazing movie! The epic finale of the Dark Knight trilogy has finally started out. I love the trilogy. It has a perfect emotion! Batman is my favorite hero
  98. Mar 4, 2013
    The best movie of the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was action packed, perfectly and carefully directed, and the villain Bane was fantastic. The only flaw was that Anne Hathaway wasn't very good as Catwoman.
  99. Mar 2, 2013
    I never thought that superheroes movies were believable until i saw the batman trilogy Christopher Nolan proves to be one of the greatest directors ever, Anne Hathaway is a beautiful addition and the ending was promising and decent for a trilogy very well done
  100. Feb 28, 2013
    batman is awful b/c he is predictably moral and thus just another boring super doofus of a hero. grow some balls marvel and show something dark and real.

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.