9.0

1. Jan 21, 2011
    I don't understand why this movie gets bashed so much because it's "overrated." So what? Pretend as though you never heard anyone say how good this film is, then watch it, and then talk to me. And don't even get me started on people saying, "People like it just because Heath Ledger died!" Again, pretend as though he didn't die, watch his performance again, and then come talk to me. AnI don't understand why this movie gets bashed so much because it's "overrated." So what? Pretend as though you never heard anyone say how good this film is, then watch it, and then talk to me. And don't even get me started on people saying, "People like it just because Heath Ledger died!" Again, pretend as though he didn't die, watch his performance again, and then come talk to me. An outstanding performance by anyone who was ever involved in this film. Expand
  2. Sep 20, 2011
    This super hero movie is a rare film that drills deep inside the character and the script more than the action. It may be boring to a few people who despise waiting for 2 hrs; However I promise you, Heath Ledger will keep you amazed the whole time. Ultimately, Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight" is a masterpiece, a film that doesn't just show off the visuals and action, but understandsThis super hero movie is a rare film that drills deep inside the character and the script more than the action. It may be boring to a few people who despise waiting for 2 hrs; However I promise you, Heath Ledger will keep you amazed the whole time. Ultimately, Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight" is a masterpiece, a film that doesn't just show off the visuals and action, but understands what deep pains and afflictions a superhero suffers. Expand
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    "The Dark Knight" is proof that Chris Nolan saved the Batman saga. this is literally the best Batman movie we ever had in years! from the mind-blowing action, to the incredible acting, fantastic characters, strong script, layers of character depth and development, epic music, awesome special effects... i can't see anything wrong with "The Dark Knight". cause everything's the work of art,"The Dark Knight" is proof that Chris Nolan saved the Batman saga. this is literally the best Batman movie we ever had in years! from the mind-blowing action, to the incredible acting, fantastic characters, strong script, layers of character depth and development, epic music, awesome special effects... i can't see anything wrong with "The Dark Knight". cause everything's the work of art, of a person who knows how to do the Batman saga justice. it's like if Christopher Nolan was like "Outta the way, **** It's my turn now". and he saved Batman, he brought Batman back to life again, and i thank him so much for that. also, Heath Ledger as the Joker: a phenomenon! other actors can try, but nobody's ever gonna top Heath Ledger's Joker. and Christopher Nolan still stays as one of the best directors we've ever had. "The Dark Knight" is a phenomenon! Expand
  4. Jan 12, 2011
    THE BEST MOVIE EVER! I just have to say that this movies are awesome, and so is Christopher Nolan. He's never failed us and he has made five movies and I bet all of them are possible contenders for best movie ever. So anyways, I liked how Rachel just gives up on Bruce for Harvey Dent, whom everyone deems "The Better Man" or "The White Knight". I also loved how the Joker is just psycho andTHE BEST MOVIE EVER! I just have to say that this movies are awesome, and so is Christopher Nolan. He's never failed us and he has made five movies and I bet all of them are possible contenders for best movie ever. So anyways, I liked how Rachel just gives up on Bruce for Harvey Dent, whom everyone deems "The Better Man" or "The White Knight". I also loved how the Joker is just psycho and he doesn't care for anything except bombs, gasoline, and crime. I believe he is just out there to prove a point. That even Gotham's best can fall. He even nearly completed his plan by corrupting Harvey but Batman/Bruce took the blame. I love how, in the end, Harvey's gun is pointed at the men "responsible" for Rachel's death (Batman, Gordon, himself) and how his mind is just twisted into thinking that they were actually responsible. I think Heath Ledger gave an excellent performance, all out, although it hasn't turned out for the best. I'm sure we'd all prefer that this was never made or was never as good for the sake of Heath Ledger but, you got to admit, this is just such a good movie. Expand
  5. Dec 9, 2010
    One of my favorite movies as a huge batman fan I couldn't be happier. The joker was easily the best done joker ever. Can't give this movie enough praise and can't wait for the next.
  6. Nov 1, 2010
    One of only a handful of flawless films I have seen in my lifetime. (To give this movie a 0 (Zero) is morally irresponsible.)
  7. Jan 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i have 5000 character limit for writing my opinion about this movie..is it enough? Absoulately not... The best movie ever...awesome...fantastic...amazing... you can find lot of words like this... you feel every emotion in the movie.Every scene has another feeling.Love, action, humanity, movie gives every feelings to you. i advise all world people to watch this movie. Because you wil not see a film like this for 50 years Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2012
    The Dark Knight dares to be more than it should be. It transcends the barriers of being labelled a "Batman movie" or "superhero movie" by excelling in all areas: character, plot, action, writing, acting, directing. The Dark Knight is not for fans of Batman or fans of serious drama. It is a film for everyone and stands as one of the most important films of the decade.
  9. Oct 30, 2014
    Continuing from where Batman Begins ended peerless director Christopher Nolan reunites with Christian Bale for the continuing story of The Dark Knight. With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent Batman sets out to put a halt to the criminal activity that plagues Gotham City. Just as everything seems to be going their way the peace is shattered by a criminalContinuing from where Batman Begins ended peerless director Christopher Nolan reunites with Christian Bale for the continuing story of The Dark Knight. With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent Batman sets out to put a halt to the criminal activity that plagues Gotham City. Just as everything seems to be going their way the peace is shattered by a criminal mastermind known as The Joker.

Batman may be on the DVD cover but this is really The Jokers movie. Following the death of Heath Ledger prior to the movies release there was huge hype regarding his performance and he certainly delivers. His portrayal is a far cry from the camp 1960s iteration and as creepy and disturbing as any villain in cinema history. Running at about two and a half hours in length The Dark Knight needed a worthwhile plot to go with the high quality action scenes and on this count the movie again doesn't fail featuring plenty of twists and surprises.

The Dark Knight is without doubt the best super hero movie of all time.
  10. Dec 17, 2011
    Christopher Nolan is an absolute genius. Batman Begins was a great film, but this just about blows it out of the water. Nolan knows good acting, and some amazing actors are in this one. Bale, Freeman, Oldman, Caine, LEDGER, all greats. The action scenes are suspenseful and aplenty (with a batmobile scene standing out) . and the script is superb. Seriously, this movie is super quotable.Christopher Nolan is an absolute genius. Batman Begins was a great film, but this just about blows it out of the water. Nolan knows good acting, and some amazing actors are in this one. Bale, Freeman, Oldman, Caine, LEDGER, all greats. The action scenes are suspenseful and aplenty (with a batmobile scene standing out) . and the script is superb. Seriously, this movie is super quotable. Ledger was born to play the Joker, and everybody that says his acting is "overrated" will never be happy. Aaron Eckhart is also superb. The best superher movie ever. Expand
  11. Feb 24, 2013
    Regular readers of this blog know that I don't like super heroes, but Batman is the exception. As a kid he was the only one I thought was cool and the only one that i felt could be real. Apparently Christopher Nolan has the same idea. What I love about his take on Batman is that it's very realistic. Even the joker, as out there as he maybe, was a much more believable and realistic villainRegular readers of this blog know that I don't like super heroes, but Batman is the exception. As a kid he was the only one I thought was cool and the only one that i felt could be real. Apparently Christopher Nolan has the same idea. What I love about his take on Batman is that it's very realistic. Even the joker, as out there as he maybe, was a much more believable and realistic villain than the portrait by Jack Nicholson. As for the movie, it's an amazing story, with one of the best performances ever, by the late Heath Ledger who I really couldn't stand until this movie! As with all Nolan movies, it's a very visually appealing film, with a great story, and cast perfectly. I can honestly say that this is as good as it gets! There will never be a better Batman or super hero movie. Expand
  12. Feb 14, 2012
    I was so pumped for this movie to come out for years and then Heath Ledger's passing made it an even bigger event. I went to see it on opening day and I swear during a few of the joker scenes I got chills because it was so good. And any movie that can have that much of an effect on me deserves a 10/10.
  13. May 6, 2012
    Batman's greatest foe yet is revealed in The Dark Knight. And he is amazing. The combination of Heath Ledger and Christian Bale is magnificent. This is truly the best superhero movie to date. Every little detail leads to something in the end. The special effects still remain some of the best and this movie was truly advanced for the year it was released.
  14. Mar 8, 2014
    Absolutely stunning. This sequel is dark, sophisticated, and is better than its predecessor. It has emotion, powerful and superb acting, and impressive visuals. This film is, beyond any doubt, a must-see. Oh, and the Joker in the movie, is beyond fantastic.
  15. Oct 30, 2012
    The script is well-written, the performances are splendid, and the action sequences give the constant thrills. From the colored pages of its comic books to the glorious big screen, The Dark Knight is the greatest adaptation ever made.
  16. Apr 7, 2013
    What a breath of fresh air. Such a brilliant step up from the previous movie. Fantastic performances all round. Ledger in particular was just amazing as the Joker. This is what a Batman movie should be. I would love to say more, but I really can not falter this movie in any way. As close to perfect as I could hope for a comic to movie film.

Overall:
    This is Batman!
  17. Aug 16, 2013
    One of the best superhero movies of all time. The Dark Knight is much better than Batman Begins, mainly because of Heath Ledgers mesmerising performance as The Joker. I won't go on about just take my word for it that he's amazing. Batman Begins had a weak plot, this has one of the best plots of any movie ever, Christopher Nolan took a risk and made the plot political instead of pointlessOne of the best superhero movies of all time. The Dark Knight is much better than Batman Begins, mainly because of Heath Ledgers mesmerising performance as The Joker. I won't go on about just take my word for it that he's amazing. Batman Begins had a weak plot, this has one of the best plots of any movie ever, Christopher Nolan took a risk and made the plot political instead of pointless like Batman Begins, and it worked. The Dark Knight is a very enjoyable and one of the best movies of all time. Expand
  18. Jun 24, 2013
    The Dark Knight is a very tightly woven and smart movie. The plot is engaging, the characters are each unique and well acted (especially the joker) and the action is intense. Really, there is no issue with this movie. It's damn near perfect. You'll be interested and on the edge of your seat from the beginning to the end of the movie.
    The Dark Knight is not only the best Batman movie ever,
    The Dark Knight is not only the best Batman movie ever, it is also the greatest super hero based movie ever. Do yourself a favor and go watch it.
  19. May 6, 2013
    One of the best super hero movies of all times. If you havent seen it yet then..just stop reading this review and go see it first. Strong villains against strong super heros usually make the movie and this is no exception.
  20. May 31, 2013
    This is my favorite Batman movie ever! Christian Bale did another great performance as Batman and Heath Ledger was amazing as the Joker. The plot is excellent and the action sequences were great. I cannot understand anyone who doesn't like this movie.
  21. Dec 11, 2013
    This movie changed the way I see Batman. This Part 2 of the trilogy was by far the best in the trilogy, and probably the best Batman movie I've ever seen. Sorry, Adam West, Michael Keaton, and George Clooney. And that voice!
  22. May 5, 2014
    A single movie, with so many unique particularities and a simple proposal: be original and different at same time. Nolan brings us a mature and surprising Batman´s universe, with characters well made, including the Joker, the most impressive of all. Heath Ledger gives life to a scary, cold, shocking and overwhelming villain, that faces all Batman's limits with an unmerciful psychologicalA single movie, with so many unique particularities and a simple proposal: be original and different at same time. Nolan brings us a mature and surprising Batman´s universe, with characters well made, including the Joker, the most impressive of all. Heath Ledger gives life to a scary, cold, shocking and overwhelming villain, that faces all Batman's limits with an unmerciful psychological game at absolutely flawless and triumphant performance. With a tense, accurate and efficient score by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, led by the realistic and audacious proposal from Christopher Nolan, The Dark Knight is engaging and powerful, being the best adaptation of a comic-book to the cinema. Expand
  23. Jul 10, 2014
    This is my favorite movie. I like Christopher Nolan movies. This is his best movie. Good plot, fantastic acting. Heath Ledger is genius. Good effects, action, drama.
  24. Dec 21, 2014
    This Film is great,Christopher Nolan really knows who is Batman he made this movie one of the best films of all time.The Dark Knight has a good plot a great villain and a good musical score(Hans Zimmer).
  25. Sep 6, 2012
    The Dark Knight is everything an action movie should be: thrilling, suspenseful, epic and chock-full of action sequences that sometimes are as amusing as they are visually stimulating. But it's also an emotional journey that's so intricately weaved into the fabric of the movie it doesn't at all seem out of place (or disingenuous). Ledger's chilling (terrifying, nihilistic) portrayal of theThe Dark Knight is everything an action movie should be: thrilling, suspenseful, epic and chock-full of action sequences that sometimes are as amusing as they are visually stimulating. But it's also an emotional journey that's so intricately weaved into the fabric of the movie it doesn't at all seem out of place (or disingenuous). Ledger's chilling (terrifying, nihilistic) portrayal of the Joker is certain to go down in cinematic history as one of the greatest villains of all time and even then it might still be slightly under-appreciated. Nolan has succeeded in creating a genre-defying (and defining) film on such a grandiose scale, and with so little room for error, that he must be praised for what he truly is: a directorial savant. Expand
  26. Dec 21, 2014
    The Dark Knight is the superior Batman. This is what 1989 Batman should have been.Smart writing, smart direction, and incredible action sequences. Heath Ledger is the true Joker.
  27. Nov 28, 2012
    Taking, not just mine, but everyone's expectations and flipping them on their heads. Nolan managed to harness everything that was great in "Batman Begins" and augment those qualities to a near epic degree. He even added some newer things of his own creation into the mix. I speak, of course, of Heath Ledger's Academy-Award Winning Joker. Virtually every line out of Heath's mouth in thisTaking, not just mine, but everyone's expectations and flipping them on their heads. Nolan managed to harness everything that was great in "Batman Begins" and augment those qualities to a near epic degree. He even added some newer things of his own creation into the mix. I speak, of course, of Heath Ledger's Academy-Award Winning Joker. Virtually every line out of Heath's mouth in this movie is amazing. In fact the entire script of this movie contains these little hidden gems that Nolan just flicks at your head throughout the entire film. However, it's Heath's performance that still reigns surpeme in this film overall. He and Nolan not only created an Oscar-Winning character, but a character that has had a pretty deep impact on pop culture. Aaron Eckhart did a good job as the tragic Harvey Dent character. All of the other actors were fantastic as well - including Bale's continually impressive Bruce Wayne/Batman performance. On a technical level, the production design and set pieces in the film were absolutely magnificant. I also felt Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard did another wonderful job in crafting the score for this film. Overall, Christopher Nolan manages to create a sequel that is not only better than the original, but he manages to craft my favorite movie of all time. Expand
  28. Aug 22, 2013
    As a whole, it can exclaim itself as a sophisticated comic book film. Heath Ledger's Joker is what captivates us. He absorbs into this role with a type of noir-like version of the classic comic book character, becoming a murderous and calculating psychopath. The only comic book film that deserved any Oscar, especially for Heath Ledger.
  29. Nov 13, 2014
    The Dark knight is definitely one of the best movie of all times, It put a batman on the sky, the performance of Christian Bale and Heath Ledger are OUTSTANDING!, All the characters played a strong role, this movie has everything, amazing soundtrack, and story, epic battles, best action fights!, the best movie of christopher nolan!
    this will become a classic movie.........
  30. Jan 4, 2015
    So i thought the first film was pretty boring. Definitely not the case with this one. It's gritty, it's dark, brings brilliant character development along with far more interesting characters like The Joker and Two-face, and has the best plot out of all 3 films. A performance best by the sadly late Heath Ledger as the Joker, and Aaron Eckart and Christian Bale also bringing excellentSo i thought the first film was pretty boring. Definitely not the case with this one. It's gritty, it's dark, brings brilliant character development along with far more interesting characters like The Joker and Two-face, and has the best plot out of all 3 films. A performance best by the sadly late Heath Ledger as the Joker, and Aaron Eckart and Christian Bale also bringing excellent performances. This film has a far more film noir feel to it (but obviously isn't film noir). Thr twists are brilliant and Ledgers transformation into the Joker is the best on screen performance to dub our screens yet. Film is filled with great visual effects also, awesome practical effects and great stunts too! A must watch! Expand
  31. Mar 30, 2014
    The best of the trilogy. It manages to keep your attention all the time. And just when you think the day is saved, it all crash down. Ledger plays the role of his life as the Joker, a new and wonderful vision of this batman nemesis
  32. Jan 31, 2015
    This is my favourite movie of all time. It's dark, awesome and has one of the best villain performances of all time, R.I.P Heath Ledger. Also I love Batman,he is my favourite comic book character.
  33. Nov 23, 2014
    This film is the perfect super hero movie. Gotham City is displayed so well visually. It is full of a great cast, and everyone is sharp in this film. I really need to see this movie again. What more can be said about the Dark Knight? Heath Ledger is dynamite as the joker which every knows by now. If you have not seen this movie yet go out and see it. You won't regret it.
  34. Feb 26, 2015
    Even though its plot isn't perfect, The Dark Knight succeeds due to gritty, well-made action sequences, strong performances from every cast member (especially Heath Ledger as the Joker), and an overall unique and dark take on the story of Batman. While it isn't entirely deserving of a perfect score, it comes extremely close.

9.9/10
  35. Nov 10, 2014
    The Dark Knight is the closest any superhero movie has come to "perfect" with transcendent dialogue, a sturdy plot and marvelous casting including Heath Ledger's iconic portrayal of The Joker all assured under Christopher Nolan's masterful direction.
  36. Nov 13, 2014
    Easily the best movie of not only the Nolan batman trilogy, but of his entire career, this is without a doubt the perfect superhero movie. Its hero truly is a hero, not one who does what he does for the glory, but for doing the right thing, regardless of how much those he serves hate him in return. The hero is not perfect, as he does fall, showing even further his immense humanity. TheEasily the best movie of not only the Nolan batman trilogy, but of his entire career, this is without a doubt the perfect superhero movie. Its hero truly is a hero, not one who does what he does for the glory, but for doing the right thing, regardless of how much those he serves hate him in return. The hero is not perfect, as he does fall, showing even further his immense humanity. The villain is not a stock character who is easily defeated, but a man with a troubled and unclear past, whose genius seems to always win. The battle for Gotham's soul is fought between a strict moral code and nihilism, the immovable object and the unstoppable force. Expand
  37. Nov 27, 2014
    I prefer the the 1989 film for its comic book dark stile, but I watched it again and it's like a crime action drama. So the film is fantastic and awesome like the original, so yeah, I love this movie for doing some thing different and succeeding:)
  38. Nov 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is a beautiful metaphor for the greatest struggles of life itself; I have recently discovered that Nolan's masterpiece seems to address the problems created by a figurative or literal multiple personality disorder. We have three different angles of perspective on life, all grabbing for Rachel, who represents love, in one way or another.

Harvey Dent is essentially a saint, an idyllic hero driven by hope and compassion that has presumably only been able rise up to the challenge of fixing Gotham City due to the changes set in place by Bruce Wayne, who sees the world for what it truly is: a hellish, twisted roller coaster of synthetic euphoria and very real pain. He too, though, is driven by his positive emotions and, because he has hope in his heart that he can "save the day and get the girl," he decides to do what he can to make the ride as comfortable for the rest of us as he possibly can, even at the cost of his own life.

But The Joker sees things differently. He is, if not more so, just as intelligent as the Batman. He understands that at least for him, there is nothing to be enjoyed in life. Selfishly he decides that he must drag everyone else down with him.

It's easy to catch the symbolism here, as it's almost literal (and it somehow harks back to the Green Lantern mythos, though I am unsure of whether this is deliberate): Harvey is the side of a man that represents positivity - hope, compassion, and love, which combine to form "Order." Bruce represents balance between all emotions, with a central focus on will. The Joker represents negativity - fear, avarice and rage, which combine to form "Chaos." Later in the Dark Knight Trilogy a fourth personality is introduced, but that is not what we are discussing here.

The beginning is quite literally the chaotic personality's entry into the world, taking advantage of everything that he can in order to do... nothing in particular. That's what's so excellent about this story! The goons would be his friends in the real life interpretation of it, and when he kills them or has them turn on each other, this is the loss that happens when you "turn to the dark side," or choose to give up on the world, as The Joker has done.

But enough metaphorical interpretation, let's talk about the literal aspects of the film. The first noticeable thing to me was not the direction, the acting, the cinematography nor the editing or action sequences, but Hans Zimmer's score for the film, which was at first deliberately disgusting, with the use of what sounds like a wire being strung for eternity, abused violins and electric guitar, but ultimately beautiful, with the most moving piece of music heard in "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" since Krypton's theme in Superman by John Williams, and until "Time" from Inception - yet another Zimmer theme! Mocked as it may be, his dense string ostinato sequences left me breathless.

But back to the story, I'm going to skip a huge chunk and get right to the meaty part. I wish I could cue Zimmer's "Horn of Doom" here to alert you to the impending spoiler. Don't read if you haven't watched the movie!

Rachel is indirectly killed by Joker. While he is being interrogated, the timer ticks down to the explosion of two buildings, each with one hostage inside: Gotham's White Knight, and Harvey and Bruce's only known love.

Here is the great metaphor of the entire trilogy: Hope. Moving on. Loving more than just one - something both Harvey and Batman are, at the moment, incapable of doing.

The Joker takes advantage of Rachel's death and Harvey's disfigurement (as you may remember, half of his face is burned off in the fire of the explosion), and convinces him to embrace the chaos of the world around him, and essentially, give in to evil.

He accepts this offer.

Skipping ahead to the final acts of this movie (and it has oh so many), we have The Joker about to kill dozens if not hundreds of people on a couple of ferries, who represent the good and bad sides of society, and Harvey, the hero, twisted into wanting vengeance on Commissioner Gordon.

Once again I will take a break from the story. Let's talk about the other aspects.

Is this movie effects-heavy? Surprisingly, no. You'd think it would be, given that, it's Batman. But in fact, it relies on practical effects more than anything else. For example, when the massive truck that the Joker is in gets flipped, it is not done with CGI, but with a spring of all things, that shoots it upwards.

I won't even say anything about the acting - I want you to watch it, because in all honesty, words could not do it justice. In my mortal explanation of one of the various metaphors presented by this film (and believe me, there are other ways to interpret it - mine is just the most literal, emotional example), I have butchered Mr. Nolan's work, so I will just say that you MUST keep an eye on Heath Ledger.

THE VERDICT:

Direction: 9.5

Acting: 10.0

Cinematography: 9.0

Editing: 9.0

Soundtrack: 10.0

Overall: 9.75
  39. Dec 7, 2014
    This is my #1 movie. Ever since i saw it in theatres i've seen it over 80000000 times. I know every line from this great film. From the acting to the story this movie is solid, thought provoking and totally awesome.
  40. Jan 4, 2015
    The Dark Knight that came out in 2008 starring Christian Bale, Heath
    Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and
    Maggie Gyllenhaal is a superhero movie of Batman. When Batman, Gordon and Harvey Dent tries bring down the mob, they face a new threat The Joker, who raises hell in Gotham. What unfolds is a 150 min of high pace crime thriller. The story is
    The Dark Knight that came out in 2008 starring Christian Bale, Heath
    Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and
    Maggie Gyllenhaal is a superhero movie of Batman. When Batman, Gordon
    and Harvey Dent tries bring down the mob, they face a new threat The
    Joker, who raises hell in Gotham. What unfolds is a 150 min of high
    pace crime thriller.

The story is quite dark, complex and engaging. The cast is just
    amazing. Heath Ledger gave legendary outstanding performance in his last
    role. His each dialogue is just amazing. I kinda love every sec he is
    in on the screen. The Joker can be considered one of the best villains
    of all time. Christian Bale is amazing in his best role of Batman.
    Though not as screen time as he had in the last movie (Batman Begins),
    but still he gave an amazing performance. Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent
    was quite good. After Joker, Harvey had 2nd best dialogues of the
    movie. Pacing of the movie is awesome too. There won't be any part of
    the movie which feels slow or boring, mainly because every conversation
    is important. Action is kinda different and unique making it amazing .
    Overall The Dark knight is an OUTSTANDING movie.

Plot:10/10
    Dialogue:10/10
    Acting:10/10
    Action:10/10
    Pace:10/10

Overall:10/10
  41. Jan 1, 2015
    Probably one of the best films you will watch today. As Christopher Nolan really pushed the boundaries with this flawless action crime drama. Batman has to deal with many familiar faces and doesn't disappoint with good acting brilliant action and a nice musical score.
  42. Jan 8, 2015
    Simply one of the best superhero movies of all time! This movie not only has everything a Batman movie should have it has everything you look for in any movie! Heath Ledgers performance as the Joker is jaw dropping and will give you chills! A+ 10 out of 10
  43. Feb 17, 2015
    There is so many good things that I could say about this movie. Aside from the brilliant acting, fantastic score, and amazing directing, the thing that Dark Knight does really well is the plot and development of the characters. Let's face it. A majority of super hero movies are terrible. But this film not only manages to be a good super hero movie, but a great movie in general. TheThere is so many good things that I could say about this movie. Aside from the brilliant acting, fantastic score, and amazing directing, the thing that Dark Knight does really well is the plot and development of the characters. Let's face it. A majority of super hero movies are terrible. But this film not only manages to be a good super hero movie, but a great movie in general. The characters are realistic and relatable. The villains have a clear purpose and goal. Everything about this movie is perfect. A must watch for any film fan! Expand
  44. Oct 4, 2010
    I love this movie! Definitely the best Batman movie ever! Heath Ledger really deserved his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. This is a movie I will remember for decades!
  45. Oct 19, 2010
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!! this movie is awsome! by far the best movie ever. heath ledger is the best joker you will ever see!!! Too bad he died. i hope superhero movies an batman movies alike can be more like this in the future.
  46. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight is hands down the best written, scripted and acted superhero movie of all time. The dialogue fizzes at all times, the character exchanges are more exciting than gunfire and there is a genuinely interesting psychological study at the root of it all. What does keep it shy of perfection, though, is the lack of a truly exciting action scene. The whole bat-bike / flipping truckThe Dark Knight is hands down the best written, scripted and acted superhero movie of all time. The dialogue fizzes at all times, the character exchanges are more exciting than gunfire and there is a genuinely interesting psychological study at the root of it all. What does keep it shy of perfection, though, is the lack of a truly exciting action scene. The whole bat-bike / flipping truck scene comes close but ultimately when in combat, this Batman is a bit paint by numbers. Not that it hurts the movie too much because to paraphrase the Joker; "You didn't really think I'd leave the fate of Gotham's soul up to a fistfight, did you?" Expand
  47. Mar 19, 2012
    As perfect as a film gets you will only see a select few better then it. Nolan remains one of the best directors of all time ranking with scorcesse and a few others.
  48. Nov 27, 2011
    The Dark Knight is among the deepest superhero films ever created. The thing that made it better was the villain The Joker, who helped make the film darker than Batman Begins.
  49. Dec 26, 2012
    Seriously, the most legendary movie I have ever watched in my life. Characters, atmosphere, dialogs, music, action, depth... Everything is perfect! Thank you Christopher Nolan, for giving us this epic trilogy.
  50. Jul 24, 2012
    Great stuff. . Epic story, good acting and production. Something as big as this can't help but attract negativity, but please be assured that it is a great effort. And remember, this is modern myth-making! These stories are our morality plays, our tales of gods and monsters. Please don't look at it as just a crime thriller or you will find implausibility!
  51. Jan 26, 2011
    The Dark Knight is an entertaining movie that definitely does the comic book character, Batman, justice. The movie keeps its dark, realistic tone from the previous Batman movie, Batman begins rather than the campy and light-hearted look of Batman and Robin. The plot was interesting and gripping, wasn't plagued by too many boring scenes and the story runs at a suitable pace. It continues onThe Dark Knight is an entertaining movie that definitely does the comic book character, Batman, justice. The movie keeps its dark, realistic tone from the previous Batman movie, Batman begins rather than the campy and light-hearted look of Batman and Robin. The plot was interesting and gripping, wasn't plagued by too many boring scenes and the story runs at a suitable pace. It continues on from Batman Begins as the vigilante known as Batman continues to fight crime in Gotham City. Now I wouldn't have thought that the movie would be too long or not as long as Batman Begins because of no need to explain how Bruce Wayne became Batman but I obviously thought wrong. It's a long movie, maybe too long but at least it's a good movie to sit through rather than a pain numbing boring one. It's a typical superhero action movie with a dastardly villain causing chaos and killing innocent people. This villain in the movie is none other than the Joker. The Joker is played brilliantly by the late Heath Ledger. He nailed the Jokers personality with the way he acts and that make up he wears is freaky! He's a psychopath and a dangerous person but comes across in some scenes like the "Magic Trick" scene where he slams some goon's forehead (or eyeball?) into a pencil and makes it disappear - just like the Joker said he would do - as somewhat funny. I like when he's dead polite in the "Party" when he greets the party guests and wielding a shotgun and helps himself to a glass of wine (or some alcoholic liquid), picks it up, accidently tosses the wine out of the glass and drinks from it anyway! It's no Matrix in terms of it's fight scenes but they are good and well edited (unlike the last Batman film where most of the fight scenes were shot in extreme close up). The action scenes like the chase scene where the Joker is trying to chase down the truck transporting "Batman" was exciting to watch. The other villain, Two-Face is introduced pretty quickly and at least doesn't take too much time out of the running time of the film. The visual effects on Two-Face are authentic and make him seem more threatening. I noticed when seeing this film, there's 2 scenes that reference 2 scenes from the 1989 Batman and it was great that director Christopher Nolan referenced those 2 scenes in this movie. The Batcycle is cool and the Batsuit that Batman wears matches the dark stylish look of the movie. The music is dramatic and suits the film and sounded more epic in the cinema than at home. I know he talked like this in Batman Begins but why does Bruce Wayne as Batman, have to talk in a dull, broken and grouchy voice? Yes I know he's doing it to conceal his identity, but in the 1989 Batman movie, Bruce Wayne talked in the same tone while he was Batman rather than a different voice. Also one scene, which may seem epic, is very bright and may cause seizures! This is just a short review of a movie that I really enjoyed and I consider it to be one of the best if not the best superhero movie I've seen. Expand
  52. Jun 9, 2012
    With 'The Dark Knight', the super hero genre reached a new milestone: a superhero film that is topical and gritty beyond belief. It's the first Oscar caliber Super Hero film; a crime thriller masquerading under the guise of 'Batman', an acting powerhouse for its ensemble cast, an astounding action film and finally, a psychological drama, investigating the psyche of its characters. HeathWith 'The Dark Knight', the super hero genre reached a new milestone: a superhero film that is topical and gritty beyond belief. It's the first Oscar caliber Super Hero film; a crime thriller masquerading under the guise of 'Batman', an acting powerhouse for its ensemble cast, an astounding action film and finally, a psychological drama, investigating the psyche of its characters. Heath Ledger, in his last 'complete role', created the Joker as one of the most frightening character in the history of cinema, and this is a PG-13 film! Christian Bale also cemented himself as the best of all the 'Batmen' in the last two decades. But the real star is director Christopher Nolan himself, who has cemented himself as the auteur of this generation. The Dark Knight: one of my top 10 favorite films of all time. Expand
  53. Aug 13, 2010
    The best superhero movie. EVER.

The best superhero movie. EVER.

I had a lot of expectations when I went to see this film. Batman Begins was so promising because it started on a darker and more realistic tone. The Dark Knight exceeds all expectations. It is darker, scarier, and a bigger ride.The old Batman movies and TV series were more joyful whereas the comic books themselves were more sinister. The Dark Knight is better than the comics. The atmosphere is bleak in Gotham City. Nothing but black thanks to the high crime rates. Batman helps decrease felony rates but Gotham needs a more normal person to take over. And that is Harvey Dent. However, the Joker marvelously played by the late Heath Ledger, is the only nemesis that stalls Gotham's hopes of being clean. And that path shows disaster as Harvey himself turns mad after the death of his girlfriend and the loss of half of his face. How Batman defeats both Joker and Dent is the main plot.

But Batman isn't much of an adventure as it is a perilous journey in the experience of doom. It feels and breathes dystopia. There is no light. There is hardly any shelter. The music itself explains the tragedy. But then there was Batman. And that is what helps Dark Knight to succeed. How one person alone attempts to triumph in the lack of light. How he sacrifices himself to help his city from the depths of despair really makes him the Dark Knight.

The cast has done a superb job in portraying their characters without going overboard. Christian Bale returns giving both sides of Bruce Wayne equal attention (the playboy and the hero) as he did in the first film. Aaron Eckhart and Maggie Gyllenhaal also give fine performances. But it is the Joker that really makes the film terrifying. He is insane but believably played by Heath Ledger. The Joker alone is enough reason to see this film.

But alas, people will say that it is the best part of the film even though there are several other reasons on why The Dark Knight is not just the best superhero film but one of the greatest films of all time.
  54. Dec 18, 2011
    If "The Dark Knight" is an unique, fascinating masterpiece is thanks to the nihilist tone, bleak atmosphere and profound story that director Christopher Nolan exploits with great refinement.
  55. Nov 21, 2011
    I thought this movie was unbelievable, especially joker. Everything was incredible from the special effects to the actors and of course. They got batman just right, because he has that serious feeling that is batman. As well as the joker with his sick and weird(slightly funny) feeling. Which is of course joker. And is of course one of my favourite comic villain of all time. In a way theyI thought this movie was unbelievable, especially joker. Everything was incredible from the special effects to the actors and of course. They got batman just right, because he has that serious feeling that is batman. As well as the joker with his sick and weird(slightly funny) feeling. Which is of course joker. And is of course one of my favourite comic villain of all time. In a way they are both perfect for each other. Serious and joke one cannot survive without the other. I give it two thumbs up. Best movie of 2008. Expand
  56. Jul 22, 2012
    This is the Batman film for the ages (with the 60s Adam West one as well). It is very dark, gritty and very distressing to watch: You really do feel all the pain felt by each character from each bone-crunching punch to every gun shot. Batman himself is perfect in the film, perhaps the best portrayal of the character I have seen or read and you do seriously feel his pain. But what makesThis is the Batman film for the ages (with the 60s Adam West one as well). It is very dark, gritty and very distressing to watch: You really do feel all the pain felt by each character from each bone-crunching punch to every gun shot. Batman himself is perfect in the film, perhaps the best portrayal of the character I have seen or read and you do seriously feel his pain. But what makes this pain? The Joker. I know how many times it has been said before, but Heath Ledger's Joker makes the film what it was, and still is. This is one of the best movies ever made and really deserves all the positive attention it gets. From the perfect portrayal of its characters to the realism thrown in (boat scene, and questions about utilitarianism) and to the amazing special effects, this truly is cinema/ movie mastery at its best. Expand
  57. Nov 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An almost flawless film. This did not in any way feel like it was 2 and a half hours long, it was the fastest and most exciting two and a half hours I've spent at the cinema, and at home watching this on DVD. If you want a tightly woven story, replete with character threads, themes and actions that have serious consequences, this is definitely the film for you. Heath Ledger is most certainly the star of this film, delivering a solid and menacing performance, that makes you feel like you wouldn't want to cross this guy in real life. Also worth of high praise are Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman, both of whom deliver solid, dramatic and emotive performances. I can't understand how people can watch this film and say it lacks plot depth and texture, seriously, most of the people I know who reviewed this thing had to watch it multiple times to finally grasp and coherently understand all of the themes that permeate this movie, from escalation, terrorism, criminality, evil's triumph over good, there is a lot more to it than the negative reviews seem to be wanting to notice. The editing keeps a fantastic balance of drama, character development and action, and there is never too much of one over the other. A lot of the negative reviews I've seen seem to boil down to either "over hyped" or "too long". If you're not going to review the film on an objective level, then you may as well just not post a review. The only criticism I'd give of the film is the post-Rachel death scene between Alfred and Wayne, which was a missed opportunity and fairly unconvincingly acted by Bale. Other than that, the film is a must see. Expand
  58. Dec 5, 2011
    Heath Ledger gives one of the greatest performances of all time as the Joker and is really the only reason for watching this film (I re-watched his parts quite a bit). The acting is good and it looks great. The rest of the cast is ok, I expected better. To be honest, The parts without the Joker arent even worth watching and are pretty boring and generic. The addition of Two-Face works wellHeath Ledger gives one of the greatest performances of all time as the Joker and is really the only reason for watching this film (I re-watched his parts quite a bit). The acting is good and it looks great. The rest of the cast is ok, I expected better. To be honest, The parts without the Joker arent even worth watching and are pretty boring and generic. The addition of Two-Face works well for the story but I didnt not care for him as a villian or the actor who played him. Expand
  59. Jul 23, 2012
    This movie is a what all movies should be like. This movie features great acting and superb special effects . Heath Ledger's role as Joker is the best of all the jokers there have been. Everything about this film is great and I loved it
  60. Jul 15, 2012
    The Dark Knight is a well-written, acted and directed film. Nolan delivers again and hits it big in the adaptation of The Joker and how he toys with Batman. This film is dark, exciting and satisfying. The ending is the only part that falls slightly short but only because they cannot put The Joker in the sequel. This film does well in the aspect that it shows how Batman struggles in hisThe Dark Knight is a well-written, acted and directed film. Nolan delivers again and hits it big in the adaptation of The Joker and how he toys with Batman. This film is dark, exciting and satisfying. The ending is the only part that falls slightly short but only because they cannot put The Joker in the sequel. This film does well in the aspect that it shows how Batman struggles in his internal fight between being morally correct by not killing The Joker or breaking his rules and killing the Joker. It is interesting to see Bruce Wayne's decisions as Batman and how they pan out. Well done. These reasons are why i gave it a 9 out of 10. If i could I would have given it an 8.7 but there are no decimals while rating movies on Metacritic. I recommend this film to anyone wanting to watch a good film that has 2 and a half hours on their time. Enjoy! Expand
  61. Jul 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight was a revolutionary movie of its kind (Superhero movies). It really brings out the darker side to what being a superhero is and how it can affect that person as well as the people around him/her. Not only was unique to other superhero movies but it was superior to them as well as many other movies in terms of acting, special effects and the lasting appeal. Honestly words dont describe how well Heath Ledger played The Joker, as well as the life and 'madness' he brought into this movie. Take the first scene of this movie, where the Joker and his men robbed the bank, and how he tricked them into killing eachother. I have never seen a more absorbing first scene to a movie. Yes I agree that Christian Bale could of put a little more then a deep voice into the Batman character, but being how he was, he really made the villains in the movie (Two Face and Joker) shine. This movie brought a lot to the movie industry and would be hard to top as a superhero movie. I think this movie outshone both the Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises in almost all aspects and should not be treated as merely any old movie. Overall it tops my list and I highly encourage everyone to watch it. Expand
  62. Jul 19, 2012
    Although it has its flaws, it is a wonderfully crafted piece of epic crime drama that explodes past expectations with an excellent script, exhilarating special effects, amazing acting, and powerful themes.
  63. Jul 19, 2012
    TDK is one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. Joker did a great job. The script is fabulous. Chris did well. I think Christoper Nolan is something. I mean he is genius. This is one of my period favorite movies.
  64. Jul 23, 2012
    This is a true superhero movie. An exquisite Masterpiece, in this film there is a touch of realism that bring you into the world of Batman. It is unbelievable seeing this film in comparison to Tim Burton Batman back in the 1990s. Nolan have took away the gothic and traditional perception of the characters and made it his own. Batman is no long wearing rubber suits, the joker is no longThis is a true superhero movie. An exquisite Masterpiece, in this film there is a touch of realism that bring you into the world of Batman. It is unbelievable seeing this film in comparison to Tim Burton Batman back in the 1990s. Nolan have took away the gothic and traditional perception of the characters and made it his own. Batman is no long wearing rubber suits, the joker is no long flamboyant, Alfred is no long just a guy carrying tea around the place and Harvey Dent is no longer the guy with a perfectly halfed red face. These characters changed for the better in this film.

Heath Ledger is am absolute inspiration to all of us, when I walked into the cinemas on the opening night I didn't expect much, I didn't know who is in the film apart from the names on the poster and I thought "it's a new batman film lets see how this one in compared to the others" from the first second when the DC comic sign sppeared on screen the soundtrack behind it create a huge suspense, I have no idea where it is going to lead me then it starts, the glass shatters, the guns started to go off then the joker appeared. At that point that was the very first time I saw the joker, and "holy **** I thought to myself. The look on the jokers face scared the sh** out of me I didn't know it is going look like that. It thought another Tim Burton joker, but I was completely shocked the action continues and does not allow you to have a breath. That's why this movie is so good thats why "it makes the marvel movies look silly" The stunts, the action, the story, the acting and the interaction between characters really capture you into this movie. Today this film is on DVD or Blue Ray but while The Dark Knight Rises is on screen, The Dark Knight is also playing in IMAX theatres so why no go see it on the massive screen again it's worth every cent!
  65. Aug 25, 2012
    The Dark Knight Is One Of My Favorite Films Of All Time Ranking Second On My Top Ten Favorite Films List On IMDB Behind My Number One Favorite Film Of All Time Citizen Kane, I Like This Movie Because Of Heath Ledger's Performance As The Joker, This Is The ''Gone With The Wind'' Of Comic Book Movies.
  66. Nov 17, 2012
    This is just a great film. It's over every superhero movie because of it's complex story, spectacular acting (Heath Ledger deserved that Oscar (R.I.P.) and entertaining action. I don't know why some people say this movie is just "good". That's complete jelaousy! F***ing haters.
  67. Dec 7, 2012
    one of the fantastic movie i have ever watched.... i am obsessed about it... everyone should watch this movie... have fun.............................
  68. Nov 8, 2011
    Everything about this movie wins, the actors, the plot, the action-sequences, the soundtrack, and every other factor that i've regrettably decided to leave out to keep this review brief. It's really surprising considering that every other DC film for the past few decades (Batman Begins being the obvious exception) has been quite the **** but from start to finish, the Dark Knight will haveEverything about this movie wins, the actors, the plot, the action-sequences, the soundtrack, and every other factor that i've regrettably decided to leave out to keep this review brief. It's really surprising considering that every other DC film for the past few decades (Batman Begins being the obvious exception) has been quite the **** but from start to finish, the Dark Knight will have you glued to your screen, a must watch for anyone with a soul, and even more so for fans of Heath Ledger, the best actor ever :D Expand
  69. Sep 28, 2010
    You want action?! You got it!! You want a 185 million dollar movie that is perfect?! You got it!! You want the best f***ing batman movie ever?!?! YOU GOT IT!!!!!!!! It's just heaven for Batman and Cinema buffs alike. Hollywood should learn their lesson about making constant crap comic book movies. DC and MARVEL are the two big competitors while Dark Horse just sits quietly in theYou want action?! You got it!! You want a 185 million dollar movie that is perfect?! You got it!! You want the best f***ing batman movie ever?!?! YOU GOT IT!!!!!!!! It's just heaven for Batman and Cinema buffs alike. Hollywood should learn their lesson about making constant crap comic book movies. DC and MARVEL are the two big competitors while Dark Horse just sits quietly in the background and makes only a handful of movies that include the Mask, Sin City and the Goon which is yet to come out.
    DC has finally made a masterful super hero movie again.

In an era where superhero movies unfortunately rule everything in the movie industry this is the golden light of the genre. Heath Ledger's performance made the movie for real. Without him it would still be great but not perfect. That's how important he is.

MARVEL should learn from DC's masterpiece and not make another like MARVEL's Wolverine Origins. I hated that movie. The Dark Knight is a golden movie that nobody should miss out on. simple as that.
  70. May 1, 2011
    This movie is really just trying to disguise what it is. What it is is just another Batman movie. It added pointless layers of depth to itself so that critics could not write it off as another superhero movie. I liked it when it was just Batman beating the crap out of criminals, and not Batman being a political figure. I usually like Christopher Nolan movies, but he really was overloadingThis movie is really just trying to disguise what it is. What it is is just another Batman movie. It added pointless layers of depth to itself so that critics could not write it off as another superhero movie. I liked it when it was just Batman beating the crap out of criminals, and not Batman being a political figure. I usually like Christopher Nolan movies, but he really was overloading this one and makes it complicated enough that the regular audience of Batman films (6-10 yr olds) wont enjoy it and end up calling it boring. In short, great as a superhero movie and confused as a political thriller. Expand
  71. Dec 5, 2011
    is the best movie about Batman, because almost all the cast and special effects that could use very well. The actor who do Joker is fantastic, but the woman who makes Rachel she has attitude and is very ugly
  72. Jan 3, 2012
    Christopher Nolan directs an epic, emotional thrill ride. Providing nonstop action incredible performances especially Heath Ledger who gives the best adaptation of one of the most memorable villains. This movie is one of the most unforgettable experiences you will have until the last one arrives. I give this movie 90%.
  73. Oct 30, 2010
    Christopher Nolan is by far an excellent director while making this epic hit!
  74. Nov 19, 2011
    If you removed Heath Ledger from this film then it would be trash. The only good parts of the film are with the Joker and Heath puts on an amazing performance that will make you go out and buy the film and re-watch it just for him. The main cast was rather disapointing, The entire film was a bit too long for my taste, and it was actually rather boring outside of the parts with the Joker.
  75. Jun 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The thing about The Dark Knight is that there's so much build up going on through the entire movie. The movie does a good job of juggling multiple villians, like how Batman Begins was. Joker is the main villian, and Lau and Salvatori Maroni are the other villians. There's also a lot of bad guys in this. The action is a big step up in this one to as there's not only more action than Begins, but the quality is a little better. The last dilema with the Joker and the ships felt a bit rushed though, but the movie quickly picked up at the finale. The screentime for this movie is longer than a few other superhero movies at 2hrs.18min without credits. But the pacing throughout the movie is so well done that the movie feels more like 2hrs than that time. The movie is so intense at times it may be a bit uncomfortable. But the intensity is not violent as there's blood or a lot of cursing in it. The plot and issues just make it feel intense. Overall the movie haves a couple of flaws but it's certainly awesome. Expand
  76. Feb 14, 2013
    The Dark Knight makes no sense, the scenes go by so rapidly and with so little connection to the next frame that you're often wondering what the heck you just watched or why something happened. The movie is terribly convoluted, lasting 2 hours and 26 minutes. It could havbe actually ended at around 1 hour and 20 minutes and the audience would have been perfectly satisfied and the restThe Dark Knight makes no sense, the scenes go by so rapidly and with so little connection to the next frame that you're often wondering what the heck you just watched or why something happened. The movie is terribly convoluted, lasting 2 hours and 26 minutes. It could havbe actually ended at around 1 hour and 20 minutes and the audience would have been perfectly satisfied and the rest could have been made into another movie. Instead, they rinse and repeat for another hour. There are a whole bunch of gizmos and gadgets that were just thrown in there to look gadgety, they add absolutely nothing to the movie. Why is there such a discrepancy between the technology Batman uses and the technology the police use? If Batman loves to fight crime, why doesn't he increase the survival chance of the average cop or give them a pay raise so they're less inclined to corruption? Heck, why doesn't he feed the poor so they won't have to steal? There is barely any Batman and when there is, we get poorly choreographed fights with people that have such unbelievable poor aim you do not consider them evil at all since they rarely hit anything and we never really see 'm commit any crimes either. Mostly they just sit around talk about how they're going to take over the city. Last time I checked, this is not a crime. Batman's accent is horrible, it's as if though they were trying to raise awareness for throat cancer victims. It's not mysterious, it's not dark it's just ridiculous. If anyone were to talk like that while dressed in a giant costume you wouldn't be able to take them seriously no matter how hard you tried. I also think the butler is far too haugty, I recall him to be very servile and humble.I've never been a big fan of Batman, the idea of a rich industrialist going after "criminals" is just a completely unrealistic yuppie fantasie but I'm open for a good interpretation of some old comic if delivered right. This is not a good interpretation, I'd rather watch the 70's cartoons. The acting is semi-decent, I'm not too impressed by the Joker. he seems pretty meek for a villain. He also seems more human than the rest of the cast. That's a mistake for a movie that's about good and evil from a 50's point of view. And what's with these annoying women playing the love interests? Maybe they should have made Batman pair up with a really queer yet loyal construction worker that likes to run around in a furry suit instead of a woman that likes to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds. You know, actually gives us a character we can laugh about instead of make us run out of nails to bite. Or maybe America just has a thing for unloyal, undecisive annoying women on the silver-screen? Same went for Spiderman. Great movies, just couldn't stand the female lead because of her inability to actually stand behind her man or make a choice. Sure it's all in the script but somehow these women play the part perfectly, they all have the same annoying look on their face when they deliver the same old lines. The batmobile wasn't very iconic either, it looked like something Mad-Max'ish and seemed out of place. I'm pretty sure Batman is breaking a few laws driving around with a mobile razor-blade! I'd hate to be stuck with a vigilante that believes the police force is incapable of handling crime yet delivers the criminals into their hands each and every time. Batman, unlike The Punisher, isn't timeless and it shows. Horrible movie, given the hype I expected way more. Expand
  77. Feb 13, 2012
    A film with too many plot holes. The plot is all over the place. This film really should of been split in two to make it flow better. As is, it's one giant cluster ****
  78. Oct 7, 2010
    The Dark Knight is the most overhyped event in the past 10 years. Batman Begins was pretty good, but this? THIS?? Chris Nolan went experimental and tried to do a "big movie" about crime, anarchy and stuff, but kind of forgot its entertainment value. The film has excellent cinematography and does have good acting with a solid performance of Aaron Eckhart and Heath Ledger as the Joker is theThe Dark Knight is the most overhyped event in the past 10 years. Batman Begins was pretty good, but this? THIS?? Chris Nolan went experimental and tried to do a "big movie" about crime, anarchy and stuff, but kind of forgot its entertainment value. The film has excellent cinematography and does have good acting with a solid performance of Aaron Eckhart and Heath Ledger as the Joker is the most unique interpretation of a psycho killer with a level of craziness Johnny Depp can only dream of, but there is no point in having solid performances if there is no plot nor story. I am not going to write a plot overview for this movie because there isn't one. Did something really happen in this movie? Was there something worth telling? Sorry if you're a fan, but there was no point in making this "film". No story in a 2 and half hour long movie is dreadful, I'd rather watch something like Watchmen Ultimate Cut with a running time of 3 and a half hours than this, this film is interesting as long as the running time and then it's over. Can you recall any moment in this film? No? I'm not surprised, That is why I say this film lacked a story. Batman Begins will be remembered for being influential, The Dark Knight will only be remembered by its huge hype and overrated reviews. Expand
  79. Sep 19, 2010
    Director Nolan illustrates his movie too darkly and too gloomy. Why this super-hero movie should deserve to philosophically intricated one. Watching Super-hero movie is merely for fun.
  80. Dec 3, 2013
    Overrated as Hell! I do not understand why people say this piece of trash is so good. Especially when they say "It's a classic- right up there with The Godfather." Uhhhhh...... NO! Some poor performances (cough, cough, Bale), an over complicated plot (just like all Nolan movies), cheesy lines, and some pretty awful action scenes all contribute to making this movie one awful pile of crap.
  81. Aug 21, 2010
    i didnt get the hype behind this film . i know alot of people who liked it but i guess im not one of them . im almost wondering if it was because it was heath ledgers last preformance befor he died . well i guess for one im not a huge batman fan to begin with . well lets move on the critics where right though on heath ledger giving a great preformance as the joker i thought it would bei didnt get the hype behind this film . i know alot of people who liked it but i guess im not one of them . im almost wondering if it was because it was heath ledgers last preformance befor he died . well i guess for one im not a huge batman fan to begin with . well lets move on the critics where right though on heath ledger giving a great preformance as the joker i thought it would be really tough to top jack nicholsons version of the joker but he did a great job . im not saying that eather cause he kicked off he did actaully do it well. thats about really the only plus of the film that and the over all plot of how evil people can just light the world on fire and wach it burn and not care about any thing els wasnt bad eather . the main problems i have with this film are baal himself as batman . should i be laughing every time he talks as batman? well i am his low sounding raspy voice for batman just seems over the top and rediculas . i just kept laughing every time he opend his mouth . the film is also way to long like 2 hrs 45 min or some thing like that . it could have been easily cut to just under 2 hours. bringing in 2 face at the end i thought was just pointless for such a small roll and then end it the way they did . this film really wasnt bad but not nearly enjoyable enough for me to ever want to see it ever again or its sequels. Expand
  82. May 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nolan finally reveals his ability that it is not skill to bring forth a gritty "realism" to a comic book movie, but a lack of complete and utter imagination to fulfill a fantasy based character. To be honest the film itself was not that bad, had it not been an hour too long. Had the movie ended after Rachel Dawson died, and the reveal of two-face, it would end on such a somber "Empire Strikes Back" note, and really left the audience in a state of wonder and a need for me. But instead Nolan decides to continue on for an hour where he plateaus with his boring action sequence, and than killing off two face in on of the worst ending in comic book history since Fantastic Four. Too damn long, but of course, Heath Ledger shines bright Expand
  83. Jun 13, 2013
    Self-indulgent pretentious crap. He ruined the Batman series. Mindless trash this was. Still hate it to this day. No wonder everybody hated the last one, its because this one was the set up to an even worse one.
  84. Feb 18, 2011
    Heath Ledger is the best Joker out of them all and has possibly the best performance I've ever seen. But Christian Bales voice ruins this whole experience. He tried too hard to sound like a bad ass that it transformed his voice into the sound someone with throat cancer makes.
  85. Oct 14, 2012
    This is a very over-rated film, slightly boring, It took me two days to actually get through this snooze-fest, It's a decent film overall but even Heath Ledger's fantastic performance can't save this from just being another film featuring a comic book hero, I enjoy Batman normally the comics are fantastic but this isn't fantastic and you could even miss this film if you were watching TheThis is a very over-rated film, slightly boring, It took me two days to actually get through this snooze-fest, It's a decent film overall but even Heath Ledger's fantastic performance can't save this from just being another film featuring a comic book hero, I enjoy Batman normally the comics are fantastic but this isn't fantastic and you could even miss this film if you were watching The Dark Knight Trilogy. Expand
  86. May 4, 2011
    This movie was brilliant, entertaining to the people who love in-depth conversations to the people who love explosions. So much drama, I dont see where it fails to have plot, basically its a simple battle of philosophies, nothing more, but nothing needed, he taints other people to madness, what more do you need? Even if it doesnt have plot, it doesnt NEED plot, suspense, action,This movie was brilliant, entertaining to the people who love in-depth conversations to the people who love explosions. So much drama, I dont see where it fails to have plot, basically its a simple battle of philosophies, nothing more, but nothing needed, he taints other people to madness, what more do you need? Even if it doesnt have plot, it doesnt NEED plot, suspense, action, conflicting philosophies, drawbacks to madness are all you truly need. It took Joker and evolved him to the next level. Expand
  87. Dec 22, 2012
    I will admit The Dark Knight is a tough film to get into. The story is complicated especially for a film based on a comic book. The beginning is information overload and could turn some people off. However, once the Joker shows up and chaos ensues the film really picks up. You get into the story, which is great. The film is enhanced by some great performances especially by Heath Leadger.I will admit The Dark Knight is a tough film to get into. The story is complicated especially for a film based on a comic book. The beginning is information overload and could turn some people off. However, once the Joker shows up and chaos ensues the film really picks up. You get into the story, which is great. The film is enhanced by some great performances especially by Heath Leadger. While some of the acting could have been better it is still good and nothing terrible. The story is lengthy and may have benefited from being two films; but it did not bother me as much the second time. The further you get into the film the better it gets. Overall, The Dark Knight is not just a great superhero movie but a great film. It has a deep story, good characters, and some nice filming to top it of. If you have not seen this film yet check it out its great. You do not have to like Batman to enjoy this film. It is an interesting take on some well-known characters and I love it. I enjoyed the Dark Knight a lot the second time around and I am probably going to see it again in the future multiple times. Expand
  88. Nov 5, 2010
    Christopher Nolan's revival of Batman has been well done, especially how comic book movies are done. It's better than it used to be and that's a good thing, but when you're dealing with some comic books, sometimes a 2-d image or costume doesn't translate well in to live action. The overall look of Batman's redesign falls into the pleasantly surprised category for me, although I did preferChristopher Nolan's revival of Batman has been well done, especially how comic book movies are done. It's better than it used to be and that's a good thing, but when you're dealing with some comic books, sometimes a 2-d image or costume doesn't translate well in to live action. The overall look of Batman's redesign falls into the pleasantly surprised category for me, although I did prefer the more "flowing cape" look, but that would probably be a mess when they fight. The Dark Knight is a pretty typical action movie, although with a good deal of twists that, depending on how you look at it, are more predicable than others, although there was one or two that caught me for a surprse. To me though, the movie was really about the Joker. Heath Ledger outdid himself there to the point that I don't think I'd want to see anyone else try to do a Joker like he did. He took a pretty standard movie about a deranged psychopath who hunts down criminals to bring them to justice and made it into a more nuanced movie about the motivations of two competing psychopaths (Joker and Batman, and if you think Batman isn't a psycho...whoa boy). The sad thing is that the other actors, and especially Bale (whom I'm a huge fan of since Empire of the Sun and American Psycho) have these characters with very little depth, and her comes Ledger with a well thought out, scarily authentic Joker and he just destroys any reason for me to want to watch any scenes without him. And that was probably my main issue with The Dark Knight, is that the other characters just couldn't keep up, but that doesn't make it a bad movie and your mileage may vary depending on how much you like action. There are some very, very intense moments between him and Batman, and they are excellent to see the two interact. Outside of that I found my attention wandering and I have found little reason to want to watch the movie again, aside from seeing Ledger's Joker one more time. Great for a comic book adaptation of a movie and sadly an amazing final performance for Ledger. Expand
  89. May 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a bad movie per-say.Its a gritty,realistic super hero movie,that happens to be a batman movie.On paper,it sounds like it was all going to be excellent,especially after the outstanding Batman Begins.The trouble is,there is ALOT wrong with this movie! Too many things to cover in a short review,so i'll get started.Firstly,where was the rousing music score that got our hairs standing up in Batman begins? There was no music at all in the car chase/batmobile sequence,& what music there was,was no where near as memorable as the previous film.. Racheal.What a completely poor choice of acresss they opted for to play her in this movie! She's not attractive at all,had the personality of a cardboard box,& where was the chemistry that her & Bruce had in the previous film?! I dont think anyone was bothered when she died.Instead of a re-built batcave & bruce mansion,we had some generic 'Big Room',What? Morgan Freeman & Michael Caine were not given any opportunity to shine in this movie,unlike Begins.Batmans suit looked too much like conventional armour,instead of something natural,with the neck looking particulally ridiculous,& the voice as Batman was so over the top,it was totally distracting.. The Joker just looked too greasy & dirty,& sounded like some science nerd,& whats with all the different versions of his origin & the licking of the lips like a lizard? Both seemed unnes
    sassary.& the plot just seemed like a mess,that was hard work to take in,with too much going on,& was jumping all over the place.. I have to say though,that Harvey Dent/Two Face was played very well.He's a great actor. Despite everything i've said,when i watched the movie again at home,for some reason,the film seemed more watchable.Maybe because the plot is easier to take in the second time around,but i enjoyed it more than at the cinema,though the critisisms still stand,especially the ones about Rachael.I hope the mood,drama,storytelling & music score are improved in Batman Rises,& Bale tones it down a bit with that voice,& it should be ok.
  90. Jul 3, 2011
    Simply the best comic book movie of our time. Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight is not only a take on modern comic book craze, but a look into the dark heart of a corrupt underworld (Gotham City), the action packed summer movie you've always dreamed of, the peek inside of a pyschotic sociapath, and one of the best mystery/detective films ever made. Of course you ask, how can a comic bookSimply the best comic book movie of our time. Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight is not only a take on modern comic book craze, but a look into the dark heart of a corrupt underworld (Gotham City), the action packed summer movie you've always dreamed of, the peek inside of a pyschotic sociapath, and one of the best mystery/detective films ever made. Of course you ask, how can a comic book movie based upon a man who dresses up as a bat do all those things and do them so spendid? Well it does, it just does. The Dark Knight is the best superhero film I've ever seen. It twists and turns with some incredibly emotional and eye opening sequences. We see the late Heath Ledger's take on the Joker, who (in my own opinion) is the best on screen Joker ever. Who takes the chaos in Nolan's first batman, and amps it up a million times more. There simply are no flaws I can sum up with it, while it may be long yes, the film never drags and always, always, always keeps you interested in the dramatic, psychotic, and scary events that take place. This film truly pushes the limits on what a PG-13 movie can do in terms of disturbing acts and merciless sadistic violence. Take on any factor in the movie and you will come out more than satisfied. It's incredible acting, so good that even Christian Bale's fantastic Batman is overshadowed by Ledger's Joker and Aaron Eckhart's twisted Harvey Dent. Maggie Gylennhal replaces Katie Holmes as Rachael Dawes who I must say was much better for the role, but your favorite old advisors are still here in Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and a few other familiar faces, and they all do fantastic. The dialogue and script is utter joy for a comic film, finding the perfect balance when to throw a few cheesy lines out, and when to keep it vindictive and realistic. The screenplay, the soundtrack, the camera angles, the action sequences, Nolan's directing, the story, I could go on and on and on and on, but I think my review speaks for itself. Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight is a modern masterpiece, a sweeping epic that takes you by the throat and doesn't let go until the credits roll. Expand
  91. Sep 26, 2011
    A super hero must be Super not realistic, when a super hero story becomes realistic it ends been a good vs evil story, such an overrated acting and Director
  92. Nov 28, 2011
    If i was a critic, I would give it a 74/100. but i am not, so I rate it a 7. Batman begins was much better. Heath ledger did act great as the crazy madman, but I don't think he deserved the Oscar. Overall, it was a great, intense picture. Still under Batman Begins, which I give an 86/100. let's see how The Dark Knight Rises will be.
  93. Jan 2, 2013
    Really overrated by users imo. The only thing good about this movie is Heath Ledger as the Joker, which is simply the most untouchable performance of the year imo, and the only reason one should watch this movie.
  94. Feb 1, 2012
    Usually I'm one to be pretty positive about most movies, and it is rare for me to be a dissenting negative critic. Also, there are many extremely violent or disturbing movies which I have found excellent (from thrillers to horror movies to crime fiction, etc.) But here is that rare example where I disagree with predominantly positive reviews: I found this movie just dragged on, with moreUsually I'm one to be pretty positive about most movies, and it is rare for me to be a dissenting negative critic. Also, there are many extremely violent or disturbing movies which I have found excellent (from thrillers to horror movies to crime fiction, etc.) But here is that rare example where I disagree with predominantly positive reviews: I found this movie just dragged on, with more and more dark, disturbing, violent imagery which really spoiled my evening instead of leaving me inspired, energized, entertained, or moved. I could barely make it through. Certainly there were fine performances, but why not watch something that makes your day better, instead of this? Expand
  95. Mar 25, 2012
    The Dark Knight is the best movie since Lord of The Rings. A dark and sophisticated movie (especially for batman) that had strong acting all around with a joker that was the craziest of all villians. A masterpiece like no other and no question the best movie of the year.
  96. Aug 12, 2012
    The Dark Knight [2008]
    The Dark Knight [2008]
    I'm in the minority of the audience base where I say that I prefer "Batman Begins" than "The Dark Knight". However, that dosen't me from saying that "The Dark Knight" is a great movie, much less of a superhero movie, but more of a crime psychological thriller. I like how they decided not to put Batman/Bruce Wayne as the focal character in the movie, and although they practically did that in the Burton and Schumacher films, they were done poorly and mainly for toyetic reasons, while this film does it with a clear and specific purpose that is just done brilliantly. This is not a Batman film, it's a film about Harvey Dent, his story, his rise and fall towards the depths of corruption and chaos. The scene in the interrogation room and the final scene in the building are the clearest standouts.

PS: I'm pissing my pants right now on how psyched I am to see "The Dark Knight Rises" tonight.
  97. Dec 7, 2012
    Good movie but it is too slow.
  98. Nov 9, 2012
    Christopher Nolan has created something brilliant. A dark Batman motivated by emotion and personal vendetta, yet compassionate enough to do what is right and become not a hero, but a symbol- a symbol that lights a fire in the hearts of the hopeless.

May be the most hopeless, despairing comic-book movie in memory. It creates a world where being a superhero is at best a double-edged sword and no triumph is likely to be anything but short-lived.
  2. Mixing bravura filmmaking with flat clichés in about equal amounts, The Dark Knight is all about dualism. Appropriately, the movie's half-inspired, half-frustrating.
  3. An action blockbuster extravaganza that's sadder than sad and never pretends otherwise.