8.9

1. Jan 21, 2011
    I don't understand why this movie gets bashed so much because it's "overrated." So what? Pretend as though you never heard anyone say how good this film is, then watch it, and then talk to me. And don't even get me started on people saying, "People like it just because Heath Ledger died!" Again, pretend as though he didn't die, watch his performance again, and then come talk to me. AnI don't understand why this movie gets bashed so much because it's "overrated." So what? Pretend as though you never heard anyone say how good this film is, then watch it, and then talk to me. And don't even get me started on people saying, "People like it just because Heath Ledger died!" Again, pretend as though he didn't die, watch his performance again, and then come talk to me. An outstanding performance by anyone who was ever involved in this film. Expand
  2. Sep 20, 2011
    This super hero movie is a rare film that drills deep inside the character and the script more than the action. It may be boring to a few people who despise waiting for 2 hrs; However I promise you, Heath Ledger will keep you amazed the whole time. Ultimately, Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight" is a masterpiece, a film that doesn't just show off the visuals and action, but understandsThis super hero movie is a rare film that drills deep inside the character and the script more than the action. It may be boring to a few people who despise waiting for 2 hrs; However I promise you, Heath Ledger will keep you amazed the whole time. Ultimately, Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight" is a masterpiece, a film that doesn't just show off the visuals and action, but understands what deep pains and afflictions a superhero suffers. Expand
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    "The Dark Knight" is proof that Chris Nolan saved the Batman saga. this is literally the best Batman movie we ever had in years! from the mind-blowing action, to the incredible acting, fantastic characters, strong script, layers of character depth and development, epic music, awesome special effects... i can't see anything wrong with "The Dark Knight". cause everything's the work of art,"The Dark Knight" is proof that Chris Nolan saved the Batman saga. this is literally the best Batman movie we ever had in years! from the mind-blowing action, to the incredible acting, fantastic characters, strong script, layers of character depth and development, epic music, awesome special effects... i can't see anything wrong with "The Dark Knight". cause everything's the work of art, of a person who knows how to do the Batman saga justice. it's like if Christopher Nolan was like "Outta the way, **** It's my turn now". and he saved Batman, he brought Batman back to life again, and i thank him so much for that. also, Heath Ledger as the Joker: a phenomenon! other actors can try, but nobody's ever gonna top Heath Ledger's Joker. and Christopher Nolan still stays as one of the best directors we've ever had. "The Dark Knight" is a phenomenon! Expand
  4. Jan 12, 2011
    THE BEST MOVIE EVER! I just have to say that this movies are awesome, and so is Christopher Nolan. He's never failed us and he has made five movies and I bet all of them are possible contenders for best movie ever. So anyways, I liked how Rachel just gives up on Bruce for Harvey Dent, whom everyone deems "The Better Man" or "The White Knight". I also loved how the Joker is just psycho andTHE BEST MOVIE EVER! I just have to say that this movies are awesome, and so is Christopher Nolan. He's never failed us and he has made five movies and I bet all of them are possible contenders for best movie ever. So anyways, I liked how Rachel just gives up on Bruce for Harvey Dent, whom everyone deems "The Better Man" or "The White Knight". I also loved how the Joker is just psycho and he doesn't care for anything except bombs, gasoline, and crime. I believe he is just out there to prove a point. That even Gotham's best can fall. He even nearly completed his plan by corrupting Harvey but Batman/Bruce took the blame. I love how, in the end, Harvey's gun is pointed at the men "responsible" for Rachel's death (Batman, Gordon, himself) and how his mind is just twisted into thinking that they were actually responsible. I think Heath Ledger gave an excellent performance, all out, although it hasn't turned out for the best. I'm sure we'd all prefer that this was never made or was never as good for the sake of Heath Ledger but, you got to admit, this is just such a good movie. Expand
  5. Dec 9, 2010
    One of my favorite movies as a huge batman fan I couldn't be happier. The joker was easily the best done joker ever. Can't give this movie enough praise and can't wait for the next.
  6. Nov 1, 2010
    One of only a handful of flawless films I have seen in my lifetime. (To give this movie a 0 (Zero) is morally irresponsible.)
  7. Jan 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i have 5000 character limit for writing my opinion about this movie..is it enough? Absoulately not... The best movie ever...awesome...fantastic...amazing... you can find lot of words like this... you feel every emotion in the movie.Every scene has another feeling.Love, action, humanity, movie gives every feelings to you. i advise all world people to watch this movie. Because you wil not see a film like this for 50 years Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2012
    The Dark Knight dares to be more than it should be. It transcends the barriers of being labelled a "Batman movie" or "superhero movie" by excelling in all areas: character, plot, action, writing, acting, directing. The Dark Knight is not for fans of Batman or fans of serious drama. It is a film for everyone and stands as one of the most important films of the decade.
  9. Oct 30, 2014
    Continuing from where Batman Begins ended peerless director Christopher Nolan reunites with Christian Bale for the continuing story of The Dark Knight. With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent Batman sets out to put a halt to the criminal activity that plagues Gotham City. Just as everything seems to be going their way the peace is shattered by a criminalContinuing from where Batman Begins ended peerless director Christopher Nolan reunites with Christian Bale for the continuing story of The Dark Knight. With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent Batman sets out to put a halt to the criminal activity that plagues Gotham City. Just as everything seems to be going their way the peace is shattered by a criminal mastermind known as The Joker.

Batman may be on the DVD cover but this is really The Jokers movie. Following the death of Heath Ledger prior to the movies release there was huge hype regarding his performance and he certainly delivers. His portrayal is a far cry from the camp 1960s iteration and as creepy and disturbing as any villain in cinema history. Running at about two and a half hours in length The Dark Knight needed a worthwhile plot to go with the high quality action scenes and on this count the movie again doesn't fail featuring plenty of twists and surprises.

The Dark Knight is without doubt the best super hero movie of all time.
  10. Dec 17, 2011
    Christopher Nolan is an absolute genius. Batman Begins was a great film, but this just about blows it out of the water. Nolan knows good acting, and some amazing actors are in this one. Bale, Freeman, Oldman, Caine, LEDGER, all greats. The action scenes are suspenseful and aplenty (with a batmobile scene standing out) . and the script is superb. Seriously, this movie is super quotable.Christopher Nolan is an absolute genius. Batman Begins was a great film, but this just about blows it out of the water. Nolan knows good acting, and some amazing actors are in this one. Bale, Freeman, Oldman, Caine, LEDGER, all greats. The action scenes are suspenseful and aplenty (with a batmobile scene standing out) . and the script is superb. Seriously, this movie is super quotable. Ledger was born to play the Joker, and everybody that says his acting is "overrated" will never be happy. Aaron Eckhart is also superb. The best superher movie ever. Expand
  11. Feb 24, 2013
    Regular readers of this blog know that I don't like super heroes, but Batman is the exception. As a kid he was the only one I thought was cool and the only one that i felt could be real. Apparently Christopher Nolan has the same idea. What I love about his take on Batman is that it's very realistic. Even the joker, as out there as he maybe, was a much more believable and realistic villainRegular readers of this blog know that I don't like super heroes, but Batman is the exception. As a kid he was the only one I thought was cool and the only one that i felt could be real. Apparently Christopher Nolan has the same idea. What I love about his take on Batman is that it's very realistic. Even the joker, as out there as he maybe, was a much more believable and realistic villain than the portrait by Jack Nicholson. As for the movie, it's an amazing story, with one of the best performances ever, by the late Heath Ledger who I really couldn't stand until this movie! As with all Nolan movies, it's a very visually appealing film, with a great story, and cast perfectly. I can honestly say that this is as good as it gets! There will never be a better Batman or super hero movie. Expand
  12. Feb 14, 2012
    I was so pumped for this movie to come out for years and then Heath Ledger's passing made it an even bigger event. I went to see it on opening day and I swear during a few of the joker scenes I got chills because it was so good. And any movie that can have that much of an effect on me deserves a 10/10.
  13. May 6, 2012
    Batman's greatest foe yet is revealed in The Dark Knight. And he is amazing. The combination of Heath Ledger and Christian Bale is magnificent. This is truly the best superhero movie to date. Every little detail leads to something in the end. The special effects still remain some of the best and this movie was truly advanced for the year it was released.
  14. Mar 8, 2014
    Absolutely stunning. This sequel is dark, sophisticated, and is better than its predecessor. It has emotion, powerful and superb acting, and impressive visuals. This film is, beyond any doubt, a must-see. Oh, and the Joker in the movie, is beyond fantastic.
  15. Oct 30, 2012
    The script is well-written, the performances are splendid, and the action sequences give the constant thrills. From the colored pages of its comic books to the glorious big screen, The Dark Knight is the greatest adaptation ever made.
  16. Apr 7, 2013
    What a breath of fresh air. Such a brilliant step up from the previous movie. Fantastic performances all round. Ledger in particular was just amazing as the Joker. This is what a Batman movie should be. I would love to say more, but I really can not falter this movie in any way. As close to perfect as I could hope for a comic to movie film.

Overall:
    This is Batman!
  17. Aug 16, 2013
    One of the best superhero movies of all time. The Dark Knight is much better than Batman Begins, mainly because of Heath Ledgers mesmerising performance as The Joker. I won't go on about just take my word for it that he's amazing. Batman Begins had a weak plot, this has one of the best plots of any movie ever, Christopher Nolan took a risk and made the plot political instead of pointlessOne of the best superhero movies of all time. The Dark Knight is much better than Batman Begins, mainly because of Heath Ledgers mesmerising performance as The Joker. I won't go on about just take my word for it that he's amazing. Batman Begins had a weak plot, this has one of the best plots of any movie ever, Christopher Nolan took a risk and made the plot political instead of pointless like Batman Begins, and it worked. The Dark Knight is a very enjoyable and one of the best movies of all time. Expand
  18. Jun 24, 2013
    The Dark Knight is a very tightly woven and smart movie. The plot is engaging, the characters are each unique and well acted (especially the joker) and the action is intense. Really, there is no issue with this movie. It's damn near perfect. You'll be interested and on the edge of your seat from the beginning to the end of the movie.
    The Dark Knight is not only the best Batman movie ever,
    The Dark Knight is not only the best Batman movie ever, it is also the greatest super hero based movie ever. Do yourself a favor and go watch it.
  19. May 6, 2013
    One of the best super hero movies of all times. If you havent seen it yet then..just stop reading this review and go see it first. Strong villains against strong super heros usually make the movie and this is no exception.
  20. May 31, 2013
    This is my favorite Batman movie ever! Christian Bale did another great performance as Batman and Heath Ledger was amazing as the Joker. The plot is excellent and the action sequences were great. I cannot understand anyone who doesn't like this movie.
  21. Dec 11, 2013
    This movie changed the way I see Batman. This Part 2 of the trilogy was by far the best in the trilogy, and probably the best Batman movie I've ever seen. Sorry, Adam West, Michael Keaton, and George Clooney. And that voice!
  22. May 5, 2014
    A single movie, with so many unique particularities and a simple proposal: be original and different at same time. Nolan brings us a mature and surprising Batman´s universe, with characters well made, including the Joker, the most impressive of all. Heath Ledger gives life to a scary, cold, shocking and overwhelming villain, that faces all Batman's limits with an unmerciful psychologicalA single movie, with so many unique particularities and a simple proposal: be original and different at same time. Nolan brings us a mature and surprising Batman´s universe, with characters well made, including the Joker, the most impressive of all. Heath Ledger gives life to a scary, cold, shocking and overwhelming villain, that faces all Batman's limits with an unmerciful psychological game at absolutely flawless and triumphant performance. With a tense, accurate and efficient score by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, led by the realistic and audacious proposal from Christopher Nolan, The Dark Knight is engaging and powerful, being the best adaptation of a comic-book to the cinema. Expand
  23. Jul 10, 2014
    This is my favorite movie. I like Christopher Nolan movies. This is his best movie. Good plot, fantastic acting. Heath Ledger is genius. Good effects, action, drama.
  24. Dec 21, 2014
    This Film is great,Christopher Nolan really knows who is Batman he made this movie one of the best films of all time.The Dark Knight has a good plot a great villain and a good musical score(Hans Zimmer).
  25. HernanM.
    Jul 19, 2008
    the best superheroe movie in all time, the joker is spectacular.
  26. Janikous
    Aug 21, 2008
    Wow. Ignoring the obvious hype surrounding Ledgers last performance, this really is the best damn acting I've ever seen. Ledger's Joker is phenomenally convincing as a complete psychopath. He's wholly likable though, and you never tire of watching him. So much better than the first - which had forgettable villains. As if the Joker was not enough but Harvey Wow. Ignoring the obvious hype surrounding Ledgers last performance, this really is the best damn acting I've ever seen. Ledger's Joker is phenomenally convincing as a complete psychopath. He's wholly likable though, and you never tire of watching him. So much better than the first - which had forgettable villains. As if the Joker was not enough but Harvey 'Two-Face' Dent is here as well, along with his perfectly justifiable transition from Hero to Nutjob. Expand
  27. DavidF.
    Aug 9, 2008
    I believe that those who criticise against this film are trying to find weaknesses, rather then look at what is pain-stakingly obvious, the power, the class and awe that this film creates, a must see, and in this reviewers opinion, the best comic to movie ever.
  28. JacobR.
    Jul 19, 2008
    This movie is simply amazing! I am literally speechless. In my opinion, Heath Ledger is the best Joker! He deserves an Oscar!
  29. StephenD.
    Aug 10, 2008
    People who gave this movie 0/10 are pretentious ignorant prigs. Don't go and watch anymore films EVER if you honestly believe this one deserves a 0 your on a different planet to the other 90% of us that loved it.
  30. ColbyS
    Jul 18, 2008
    Absolutely fantastic, even more so when one steps back and realizes that this is based on a cartoon character. The philosophical and moral depths plumbed in this film are a strong undercurrent to the disturbing but nevertheless awe-inspiring actions of the players. The first truly golden (though darkly so) superhero film in quite some time.
  31. Sep 6, 2012
    The Dark Knight is everything an action movie should be: thrilling, suspenseful, epic and chock-full of action sequences that sometimes are as amusing as they are visually stimulating. But it's also an emotional journey that's so intricately weaved into the fabric of the movie it doesn't at all seem out of place (or disingenuous). Ledger's chilling (terrifying, nihilistic) portrayal of theThe Dark Knight is everything an action movie should be: thrilling, suspenseful, epic and chock-full of action sequences that sometimes are as amusing as they are visually stimulating. But it's also an emotional journey that's so intricately weaved into the fabric of the movie it doesn't at all seem out of place (or disingenuous). Ledger's chilling (terrifying, nihilistic) portrayal of the Joker is certain to go down in cinematic history as one of the greatest villains of all time and even then it might still be slightly under-appreciated. Nolan has succeeded in creating a genre-defying (and defining) film on such a grandiose scale, and with so little room for error, that he must be praised for what he truly is: a directorial savant. Expand
  32. Mar 13, 2013
    The Dark Knight is truly the best batman film to date. It starts with a great intro sequence and keeps the high quality trough the whole film.Dark and gritty the dark knight offers a thrilling plot with great characters, all of whom having their own motivations with the greatest villian of the entire batman franchise. Hans Zimmer also did great work with this soundtrack which fits perfect.The Dark Knight is truly the best batman film to date. It starts with a great intro sequence and keeps the high quality trough the whole film.Dark and gritty the dark knight offers a thrilling plot with great characters, all of whom having their own motivations with the greatest villian of the entire batman franchise. Hans Zimmer also did great work with this soundtrack which fits perfect. A must see Expand
  33. Dec 21, 2014
    The Dark Knight is the superior Batman. This is what 1989 Batman should have been.Smart writing, smart direction, and incredible action sequences. Heath Ledger is the true Joker.
  34. Nov 28, 2012
    Taking, not just mine, but everyone's expectations and flipping them on their heads. Nolan managed to harness everything that was great in "Batman Begins" and augment those qualities to a near epic degree. He even added some newer things of his own creation into the mix. I speak, of course, of Heath Ledger's Academy-Award Winning Joker. Virtually every line out of Heath's mouth in thisTaking, not just mine, but everyone's expectations and flipping them on their heads. Nolan managed to harness everything that was great in "Batman Begins" and augment those qualities to a near epic degree. He even added some newer things of his own creation into the mix. I speak, of course, of Heath Ledger's Academy-Award Winning Joker. Virtually every line out of Heath's mouth in this movie is amazing. In fact the entire script of this movie contains these little hidden gems that Nolan just flicks at your head throughout the entire film. However, it's Heath's performance that still reigns surpeme in this film overall. He and Nolan not only created an Oscar-Winning character, but a character that has had a pretty deep impact on pop culture. Aaron Eckhart did a good job as the tragic Harvey Dent character. All of the other actors were fantastic as well - including Bale's continually impressive Bruce Wayne/Batman performance. On a technical level, the production design and set pieces in the film were absolutely magnificant. I also felt Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard did another wonderful job in crafting the score for this film. Overall, Christopher Nolan manages to create a sequel that is not only better than the original, but he manages to craft my favorite movie of all time. Expand
  35. Jan 18, 2013
    This is the best superhero movie ever made. A masterpiece. Nolan shows again he's one of the greatest directors of al time. Cast is excellent, espyially Heath Ledger, the story is awesome, ..... How can David Denby give this movie a 50, I don't understand it. AWESOME MOVIE
  36. Aug 22, 2013
    As a whole, it can exclaim itself as a sophisticated comic book film. Heath Ledger's Joker is what captivates us. He absorbs into this role with a type of noir-like version of the classic comic book character, becoming a murderous and calculating psychopath. The only comic book film that deserved any Oscar, especially for Heath Ledger.
  37. Apr 10, 2015
    It isn't an overstatement to call The Dark Knight the most sophisticated and ambitious work of its kind. Superior to all three Spider-Man installments and even its amazing predecessor in terms of conceptualization, writing, acting, and direction, Nolan's follow-up to Batman Begins is a dark, complex and disturbing film, not the least of which because it grafts its heroics onto theIt isn't an overstatement to call The Dark Knight the most sophisticated and ambitious work of its kind. Superior to all three Spider-Man installments and even its amazing predecessor in terms of conceptualization, writing, acting, and direction, Nolan's follow-up to Batman Begins is a dark, complex and disturbing film, not the least of which because it grafts its heroics onto the blueprint of actual reality rather than that of spandex-clad supermen. And while such a distinction may make little difference to those already eagerly anticipating the return of the caped crusader, suffice it to say that The Dark Knight qualifies as the first official comic book adaptation that truly succeeds in being a great artistic achievement in its own right. Expand
  38. Nov 13, 2014
    The Dark knight is definitely one of the best movie of all times, It put a batman on the sky, the performance of Christian Bale and Heath Ledger are OUTSTANDING!, All the characters played a strong role, this movie has everything, amazing soundtrack, and story, epic battles, best action fights!, the best movie of christopher nolan!
    this will become a classic movie.........
  39. Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, there is no doubt that the reputation of this film, and Heath Ledger's performance, were bolstered by his untimely death. That makes no difference. This is an accomplished and subversive work, and the most fully realised of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy - its predecessor did little more than establish the foundations of this film, whilst its successor lacked focus or aFirst of all, there is no doubt that the reputation of this film, and Heath Ledger's performance, were bolstered by his untimely death. That makes no difference. This is an accomplished and subversive work, and the most fully realised of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy - its predecessor did little more than establish the foundations of this film, whilst its successor lacked focus or a satisfying conclusion.

"The Dark Knight", on the other hand, is an expansive, complex and soulful masterpiece of film, which spearheaded the re-evaluation and acknowledgement of the superhero genre as an art form capable of producing stories as daring, layered and emotive as standard art house fare, or modernist literature and being good for more than just action and special effects. This film is masterfully designed, scored, edited, acted, and shot, reminiscent both stylistically and in terms of storytelling as the classic thrillers of the 1970s. Much like New York City in "Taxi Driver", Nolan's Gotham breathes, and so do the characters, who are understood as real people and compelled to act as such, rather than just vehicles transporting the viewer from one action set piece to the next. Both Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart are fantastic, offering nuanced and desperate portraits of virtuous men broken by their own goodness. They deserved Oscar nominations as much as Heath Ledger. As for Heath Ledger, it is an astonishing piece of acting whether he lived to see it on-screen or not. He is explosive, twisted, visceral, and utterly terrifying - and damn near impossible to take your eyes off of.

Is this is a perfect film? There's one too many leaps of logic involved, so it falls short, but only by a minuscule margin. This is certainly one of the best films I've seen - a grand and operatic morality play, breathtakingly colossal, searingly intimate, and unbearably sad. Detractors may try to use Heath Ledger's death to discredit its success as circumstantial. I remind you: nobody from "The Avengers" died.
  40. Jan 4, 2015
    So i thought the first film was pretty boring. Definitely not the case with this one. It's gritty, it's dark, brings brilliant character development along with far more interesting characters like The Joker and Two-face, and has the best plot out of all 3 films. A performance best by the sadly late Heath Ledger as the Joker, and Aaron Eckart and Christian Bale also bringing excellentSo i thought the first film was pretty boring. Definitely not the case with this one. It's gritty, it's dark, brings brilliant character development along with far more interesting characters like The Joker and Two-face, and has the best plot out of all 3 films. A performance best by the sadly late Heath Ledger as the Joker, and Aaron Eckart and Christian Bale also bringing excellent performances. This film has a far more film noir feel to it (but obviously isn't film noir). Thr twists are brilliant and Ledgers transformation into the Joker is the best on screen performance to dub our screens yet. Film is filled with great visual effects also, awesome practical effects and great stunts too! A must watch! Expand
  41. Mar 30, 2014
    The best of the trilogy. It manages to keep your attention all the time. And just when you think the day is saved, it all crash down. Ledger plays the role of his life as the Joker, a new and wonderful vision of this batman nemesis
  42. Jan 31, 2015
    This is my favourite movie of all time. It's dark, awesome and has one of the best villain performances of all time, R.I.P Heath Ledger. Also I love Batman,he is my favourite comic book character.
  43. Mar 26, 2015
    8.8/10................................................................................................................................................
  44. Nov 23, 2014
    This film is the perfect super hero movie. Gotham City is displayed so well visually. It is full of a great cast, and everyone is sharp in this film. I really need to see this movie again. What more can be said about the Dark Knight? Heath Ledger is dynamite as the joker which every knows by now. If you have not seen this movie yet go out and see it. You won't regret it.
  45. Feb 26, 2015
    Even though its plot isn't perfect, The Dark Knight succeeds due to gritty, well-made action sequences, strong performances from every cast member (especially Heath Ledger as the Joker), and an overall unique and dark take on the story of Batman. While it isn't entirely deserving of a perfect score, it comes extremely close.

9.9/10
  46. Nov 10, 2014
    The Dark Knight is the closest any superhero movie has come to "perfect" with transcendent dialogue, a sturdy plot and marvelous casting including Heath Ledger's iconic portrayal of The Joker all assured under Christopher Nolan's masterful direction.
  47. Nov 13, 2014
    Easily the best movie of not only the Nolan batman trilogy, but of his entire career, this is without a doubt the perfect superhero movie. Its hero truly is a hero, not one who does what he does for the glory, but for doing the right thing, regardless of how much those he serves hate him in return. The hero is not perfect, as he does fall, showing even further his immense humanity. TheEasily the best movie of not only the Nolan batman trilogy, but of his entire career, this is without a doubt the perfect superhero movie. Its hero truly is a hero, not one who does what he does for the glory, but for doing the right thing, regardless of how much those he serves hate him in return. The hero is not perfect, as he does fall, showing even further his immense humanity. The villain is not a stock character who is easily defeated, but a man with a troubled and unclear past, whose genius seems to always win. The battle for Gotham's soul is fought between a strict moral code and nihilism, the immovable object and the unstoppable force. Expand
  48. Nov 27, 2014
    I prefer the the 1989 film for its comic book dark stile, but I watched it again and it's like a crime action drama. So the film is fantastic and awesome like the original, so yeah, I love this movie for doing some thing different and succeeding:)
  49. Nov 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is a beautiful metaphor for the greatest struggles of life itself; I have recently discovered that Nolan's masterpiece seems to address the problems created by a figurative or literal multiple personality disorder. We have three different angles of perspective on life, all grabbing for Rachel, who represents love, in one way or another.

Harvey Dent is essentially a saint, an idyllic hero driven by hope and compassion that has presumably only been able rise up to the challenge of fixing Gotham City due to the changes set in place by Bruce Wayne, who sees the world for what it truly is: a hellish, twisted roller coaster of synthetic euphoria and very real pain. He too, though, is driven by his positive emotions and, because he has hope in his heart that he can "save the day and get the girl," he decides to do what he can to make the ride as comfortable for the rest of us as he possibly can, even at the cost of his own life.

But The Joker sees things differently. He is, if not more so, just as intelligent as the Batman. He understands that at least for him, there is nothing to be enjoyed in life. Selfishly he decides that he must drag everyone else down with him.

It's easy to catch the symbolism here, as it's almost literal (and it somehow harks back to the Green Lantern mythos, though I am unsure of whether this is deliberate): Harvey is the side of a man that represents positivity - hope, compassion, and love, which combine to form "Order." Bruce represents balance between all emotions, with a central focus on will. The Joker represents negativity - fear, avarice and rage, which combine to form "Chaos." Later in the Dark Knight Trilogy a fourth personality is introduced, but that is not what we are discussing here.

The beginning is quite literally the chaotic personality's entry into the world, taking advantage of everything that he can in order to do... nothing in particular. That's what's so excellent about this story! The goons would be his friends in the real life interpretation of it, and when he kills them or has them turn on each other, this is the loss that happens when you "turn to the dark side," or choose to give up on the world, as The Joker has done.

But enough metaphorical interpretation, let's talk about the literal aspects of the film. The first noticeable thing to me was not the direction, the acting, the cinematography nor the editing or action sequences, but Hans Zimmer's score for the film, which was at first deliberately disgusting, with the use of what sounds like a wire being strung for eternity, abused violins and electric guitar, but ultimately beautiful, with the most moving piece of music heard in "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" since Krypton's theme in Superman by John Williams, and until "Time" from Inception - yet another Zimmer theme! Mocked as it may be, his dense string ostinato sequences left me breathless.

But back to the story, I'm going to skip a huge chunk and get right to the meaty part. I wish I could cue Zimmer's "Horn of Doom" here to alert you to the impending spoiler. Don't read if you haven't watched the movie!

Rachel is indirectly killed by Joker. While he is being interrogated, the timer ticks down to the explosion of two buildings, each with one hostage inside: Gotham's White Knight, and Harvey and Bruce's only known love.

Here is the great metaphor of the entire trilogy: Hope. Moving on. Loving more than just one - something both Harvey and Batman are, at the moment, incapable of doing.

The Joker takes advantage of Rachel's death and Harvey's disfigurement (as you may remember, half of his face is burned off in the fire of the explosion), and convinces him to embrace the chaos of the world around him, and essentially, give in to evil.

He accepts this offer.

Skipping ahead to the final acts of this movie (and it has oh so many), we have The Joker about to kill dozens if not hundreds of people on a couple of ferries, who represent the good and bad sides of society, and Harvey, the hero, twisted into wanting vengeance on Commissioner Gordon.

Once again I will take a break from the story. Let's talk about the other aspects.

Is this movie effects-heavy? Surprisingly, no. You'd think it would be, given that, it's Batman. But in fact, it relies on practical effects more than anything else. For example, when the massive truck that the Joker is in gets flipped, it is not done with CGI, but with a spring of all things, that shoots it upwards.

I won't even say anything about the acting - I want you to watch it, because in all honesty, words could not do it justice. In my mortal explanation of one of the various metaphors presented by this film (and believe me, there are other ways to interpret it - mine is just the most literal, emotional example), I have butchered Mr. Nolan's work, so I will just say that you MUST keep an eye on Heath Ledger.

THE VERDICT:

Direction: 9.5

Acting: 10.0

Cinematography: 9.0

Editing: 9.0

Soundtrack: 10.0

Overall: 9.75
  50. Dec 7, 2014
    This is my #1 movie. Ever since i saw it in theatres i've seen it over 80000000 times. I know every line from this great film. From the acting to the story this movie is solid, thought provoking and totally awesome.
  51. Mar 30, 2015
    A modern masterpiece of 21st Century Cinema. The Dark Knight combines great direction, with brilliant acting, and beautiful cinematography to create a film that transcends it genres and becomes a great film. It serves as a comic book film, but also a tragedy of Shakespearean quality, with one of the best villains of the last 20 years. On top of that Christopher Nolan's unflinching faith inA modern masterpiece of 21st Century Cinema. The Dark Knight combines great direction, with brilliant acting, and beautiful cinematography to create a film that transcends it genres and becomes a great film. It serves as a comic book film, but also a tragedy of Shakespearean quality, with one of the best villains of the last 20 years. On top of that Christopher Nolan's unflinching faith in practical effects create a truly realistic experience. Expand
  52. Jan 4, 2015
    The Dark Knight that came out in 2008 starring Christian Bale, Heath
    Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and
    Maggie Gyllenhaal is a superhero movie of Batman. When Batman, Gordon and Harvey Dent tries bring down the mob, they face a new threat The Joker, who raises hell in Gotham. What unfolds is a 150 min of high pace crime thriller. The story is
    The Dark Knight that came out in 2008 starring Christian Bale, Heath
    Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and
    Maggie Gyllenhaal is a superhero movie of Batman. When Batman, Gordon
    and Harvey Dent tries bring down the mob, they face a new threat The
    Joker, who raises hell in Gotham. What unfolds is a 150 min of high
    pace crime thriller.

The story is quite dark, complex and engaging. The cast is just
    amazing. Heath Ledger gave legendary outstanding performance in his last
    role. His each dialogue is just amazing. I kinda love every sec he is
    in on the screen. The Joker can be considered one of the best villains
    of all time. Christian Bale is amazing in his best role of Batman.
    Though not as screen time as he had in the last movie (Batman Begins),
    but still he gave an amazing performance. Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent
    was quite good. After Joker, Harvey had 2nd best dialogues of the
    movie. Pacing of the movie is awesome too. There won't be any part of
    the movie which feels slow or boring, mainly because every conversation
    is important. Action is kinda different and unique making it amazing .
    Overall The Dark knight is an OUTSTANDING movie.

Plot:10/10
    Dialogue:10/10
    Acting:10/10
    Action:10/10
    Pace:10/10

Overall:10/10
  53. Jan 1, 2015
    Probably one of the best films you will watch today. As Christopher Nolan really pushed the boundaries with this flawless action crime drama. Batman has to deal with many familiar faces and doesn't disappoint with good acting brilliant action and a nice musical score.
  54. Jan 8, 2015
    Simply one of the best superhero movies of all time! This movie not only has everything a Batman movie should have it has everything you look for in any movie! Heath Ledgers performance as the Joker is jaw dropping and will give you chills! A+ 10 out of 10
  55. Feb 17, 2015
    There is so many good things that I could say about this movie. Aside from the brilliant acting, fantastic score, and amazing directing, the thing that Dark Knight does really well is the plot and development of the characters. Let's face it. A majority of super hero movies are terrible. But this film not only manages to be a good super hero movie, but a great movie in general. TheThere is so many good things that I could say about this movie. Aside from the brilliant acting, fantastic score, and amazing directing, the thing that Dark Knight does really well is the plot and development of the characters. Let's face it. A majority of super hero movies are terrible. But this film not only manages to be a good super hero movie, but a great movie in general. The characters are realistic and relatable. The villains have a clear purpose and goal. Everything about this movie is perfect. A must watch for any film fan! Expand
  56. Apr 5, 2015
    This is the best batman movie ever. Great cinematography. Great acting. Awesome story. First scene in imax will blow you away. Great ending. I highly recommend owning this flick on blu ray
  57. Oct 4, 2010
    I love this movie! Definitely the best Batman movie ever! Heath Ledger really deserved his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. This is a movie I will remember for decades!
  58. Oct 19, 2010
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!! this movie is awsome! by far the best movie ever. heath ledger is the best joker you will ever see!!! Too bad he died. i hope superhero movies an batman movies alike can be more like this in the future.
  59. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight is hands down the best written, scripted and acted superhero movie of all time. The dialogue fizzes at all times, the character exchanges are more exciting than gunfire and there is a genuinely interesting psychological study at the root of it all. What does keep it shy of perfection, though, is the lack of a truly exciting action scene. The whole bat-bike / flipping truckThe Dark Knight is hands down the best written, scripted and acted superhero movie of all time. The dialogue fizzes at all times, the character exchanges are more exciting than gunfire and there is a genuinely interesting psychological study at the root of it all. What does keep it shy of perfection, though, is the lack of a truly exciting action scene. The whole bat-bike / flipping truck scene comes close but ultimately when in combat, this Batman is a bit paint by numbers. Not that it hurts the movie too much because to paraphrase the Joker; "You didn't really think I'd leave the fate of Gotham's soul up to a fistfight, did you?" Expand
  60. Mar 19, 2012
    As perfect as a film gets you will only see a select few better then it. Nolan remains one of the best directors of all time ranking with scorcesse and a few others.
  61. Nov 27, 2011
    The Dark Knight is among the deepest superhero films ever created. The thing that made it better was the villain The Joker, who helped make the film darker than Batman Begins.
  62. Dec 26, 2012
    Seriously, the most legendary movie I have ever watched in my life. Characters, atmosphere, dialogs, music, action, depth... Everything is perfect! Thank you Christopher Nolan, for giving us this epic trilogy.
  63. Jul 24, 2012
    Great stuff. . Epic story, good acting and production. Something as big as this can't help but attract negativity, but please be assured that it is a great effort. And remember, this is modern myth-making! These stories are our morality plays, our tales of gods and monsters. Please don't look at it as just a crime thriller or you will find implausibility!
  64. Jan 26, 2011
    The Dark Knight is an entertaining movie that definitely does the comic book character, Batman, justice. The movie keeps its dark, realistic tone from the previous Batman movie, Batman begins rather than the campy and light-hearted look of Batman and Robin. The plot was interesting and gripping, wasn't plagued by too many boring scenes and the story runs at a suitable pace. It continues onThe Dark Knight is an entertaining movie that definitely does the comic book character, Batman, justice. The movie keeps its dark, realistic tone from the previous Batman movie, Batman begins rather than the campy and light-hearted look of Batman and Robin. The plot was interesting and gripping, wasn't plagued by too many boring scenes and the story runs at a suitable pace. It continues on from Batman Begins as the vigilante known as Batman continues to fight crime in Gotham City. Now I wouldn't have thought that the movie would be too long or not as long as Batman Begins because of no need to explain how Bruce Wayne became Batman but I obviously thought wrong. It's a long movie, maybe too long but at least it's a good movie to sit through rather than a pain numbing boring one. It's a typical superhero action movie with a dastardly villain causing chaos and killing innocent people. This villain in the movie is none other than the Joker. The Joker is played brilliantly by the late Heath Ledger. He nailed the Jokers personality with the way he acts and that make up he wears is freaky! He's a psychopath and a dangerous person but comes across in some scenes like the "Magic Trick" scene where he slams some goon's forehead (or eyeball?) into a pencil and makes it disappear - just like the Joker said he would do - as somewhat funny. I like when he's dead polite in the "Party" when he greets the party guests and wielding a shotgun and helps himself to a glass of wine (or some alcoholic liquid), picks it up, accidently tosses the wine out of the glass and drinks from it anyway! It's no Matrix in terms of it's fight scenes but they are good and well edited (unlike the last Batman film where most of the fight scenes were shot in extreme close up). The action scenes like the chase scene where the Joker is trying to chase down the truck transporting "Batman" was exciting to watch. The other villain, Two-Face is introduced pretty quickly and at least doesn't take too much time out of the running time of the film. The visual effects on Two-Face are authentic and make him seem more threatening. I noticed when seeing this film, there's 2 scenes that reference 2 scenes from the 1989 Batman and it was great that director Christopher Nolan referenced those 2 scenes in this movie. The Batcycle is cool and the Batsuit that Batman wears matches the dark stylish look of the movie. The music is dramatic and suits the film and sounded more epic in the cinema than at home. I know he talked like this in Batman Begins but why does Bruce Wayne as Batman, have to talk in a dull, broken and grouchy voice? Yes I know he's doing it to conceal his identity, but in the 1989 Batman movie, Bruce Wayne talked in the same tone while he was Batman rather than a different voice. Also one scene, which may seem epic, is very bright and may cause seizures! This is just a short review of a movie that I really enjoyed and I consider it to be one of the best if not the best superhero movie I've seen. Expand
  65. Jun 9, 2012
    With 'The Dark Knight', the super hero genre reached a new milestone: a superhero film that is topical and gritty beyond belief. It's the first Oscar caliber Super Hero film; a crime thriller masquerading under the guise of 'Batman', an acting powerhouse for its ensemble cast, an astounding action film and finally, a psychological drama, investigating the psyche of its characters. HeathWith 'The Dark Knight', the super hero genre reached a new milestone: a superhero film that is topical and gritty beyond belief. It's the first Oscar caliber Super Hero film; a crime thriller masquerading under the guise of 'Batman', an acting powerhouse for its ensemble cast, an astounding action film and finally, a psychological drama, investigating the psyche of its characters. Heath Ledger, in his last 'complete role', created the Joker as one of the most frightening character in the history of cinema, and this is a PG-13 film! Christian Bale also cemented himself as the best of all the 'Batmen' in the last two decades. But the real star is director Christopher Nolan himself, who has cemented himself as the auteur of this generation. The Dark Knight: one of my top 10 favorite films of all time. Expand
  66. Aug 13, 2010
    The best superhero movie. EVER.

The best superhero movie. EVER.

I had a lot of expectations when I went to see this film. Batman Begins was so promising because it started on a darker and more realistic tone. The Dark Knight exceeds all expectations. It is darker, scarier, and a bigger ride.The old Batman movies and TV series were more joyful whereas the comic books themselves were more sinister. The Dark Knight is better than the comics. The atmosphere is bleak in Gotham City. Nothing but black thanks to the high crime rates. Batman helps decrease felony rates but Gotham needs a more normal person to take over. And that is Harvey Dent. However, the Joker marvelously played by the late Heath Ledger, is the only nemesis that stalls Gotham's hopes of being clean. And that path shows disaster as Harvey himself turns mad after the death of his girlfriend and the loss of half of his face. How Batman defeats both Joker and Dent is the main plot.

But Batman isn't much of an adventure as it is a perilous journey in the experience of doom. It feels and breathes dystopia. There is no light. There is hardly any shelter. The music itself explains the tragedy. But then there was Batman. And that is what helps Dark Knight to succeed. How one person alone attempts to triumph in the lack of light. How he sacrifices himself to help his city from the depths of despair really makes him the Dark Knight.

The cast has done a superb job in portraying their characters without going overboard. Christian Bale returns giving both sides of Bruce Wayne equal attention (the playboy and the hero) as he did in the first film. Aaron Eckhart and Maggie Gyllenhaal also give fine performances. But it is the Joker that really makes the film terrifying. He is insane but believably played by Heath Ledger. The Joker alone is enough reason to see this film.

But alas, people will say that it is the best part of the film even though there are several other reasons on why The Dark Knight is not just the best superhero film but one of the greatest films of all time.
  67. Dec 18, 2011
    If "The Dark Knight" is an unique, fascinating masterpiece is thanks to the nihilist tone, bleak atmosphere and profound story that director Christopher Nolan exploits with great refinement.
  68. Nov 21, 2011
    I thought this movie was unbelievable, especially joker. Everything was incredible from the special effects to the actors and of course. They got batman just right, because he has that serious feeling that is batman. As well as the joker with his sick and weird(slightly funny) feeling. Which is of course joker. And is of course one of my favourite comic villain of all time. In a way theyI thought this movie was unbelievable, especially joker. Everything was incredible from the special effects to the actors and of course. They got batman just right, because he has that serious feeling that is batman. As well as the joker with his sick and weird(slightly funny) feeling. Which is of course joker. And is of course one of my favourite comic villain of all time. In a way they are both perfect for each other. Serious and joke one cannot survive without the other. I give it two thumbs up. Best movie of 2008. Expand
  69. Jul 22, 2012
    This is the Batman film for the ages (with the 60s Adam West one as well). It is very dark, gritty and very distressing to watch: You really do feel all the pain felt by each character from each bone-crunching punch to every gun shot. Batman himself is perfect in the film, perhaps the best portrayal of the character I have seen or read and you do seriously feel his pain. But what makesThis is the Batman film for the ages (with the 60s Adam West one as well). It is very dark, gritty and very distressing to watch: You really do feel all the pain felt by each character from each bone-crunching punch to every gun shot. Batman himself is perfect in the film, perhaps the best portrayal of the character I have seen or read and you do seriously feel his pain. But what makes this pain? The Joker. I know how many times it has been said before, but Heath Ledger's Joker makes the film what it was, and still is. This is one of the best movies ever made and really deserves all the positive attention it gets. From the perfect portrayal of its characters to the realism thrown in (boat scene, and questions about utilitarianism) and to the amazing special effects, this truly is cinema/ movie mastery at its best. Expand
  70. Nov 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An almost flawless film. This did not in any way feel like it was 2 and a half hours long, it was the fastest and most exciting two and a half hours I've spent at the cinema, and at home watching this on DVD. If you want a tightly woven story, replete with character threads, themes and actions that have serious consequences, this is definitely the film for you. Heath Ledger is most certainly the star of this film, delivering a solid and menacing performance, that makes you feel like you wouldn't want to cross this guy in real life. Also worth of high praise are Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman, both of whom deliver solid, dramatic and emotive performances. I can't understand how people can watch this film and say it lacks plot depth and texture, seriously, most of the people I know who reviewed this thing had to watch it multiple times to finally grasp and coherently understand all of the themes that permeate this movie, from escalation, terrorism, criminality, evil's triumph over good, there is a lot more to it than the negative reviews seem to be wanting to notice. The editing keeps a fantastic balance of drama, character development and action, and there is never too much of one over the other. A lot of the negative reviews I've seen seem to boil down to either "over hyped" or "too long". If you're not going to review the film on an objective level, then you may as well just not post a review. The only criticism I'd give of the film is the post-Rachel death scene between Alfred and Wayne, which was a missed opportunity and fairly unconvincingly acted by Bale. Other than that, the film is a must see. Expand
  71. Dec 5, 2011
    Heath Ledger gives one of the greatest performances of all time as the Joker and is really the only reason for watching this film (I re-watched his parts quite a bit). The acting is good and it looks great. The rest of the cast is ok, I expected better. To be honest, The parts without the Joker arent even worth watching and are pretty boring and generic. The addition of Two-Face works wellHeath Ledger gives one of the greatest performances of all time as the Joker and is really the only reason for watching this film (I re-watched his parts quite a bit). The acting is good and it looks great. The rest of the cast is ok, I expected better. To be honest, The parts without the Joker arent even worth watching and are pretty boring and generic. The addition of Two-Face works well for the story but I didnt not care for him as a villian or the actor who played him. Expand
  72. Jul 23, 2012
    This movie is a what all movies should be like. This movie features great acting and superb special effects . Heath Ledger's role as Joker is the best of all the jokers there have been. Everything about this film is great and I loved it
  73. Jul 15, 2012
    The Dark Knight is a well-written, acted and directed film. Nolan delivers again and hits it big in the adaptation of The Joker and how he toys with Batman. This film is dark, exciting and satisfying. The ending is the only part that falls slightly short but only because they cannot put The Joker in the sequel. This film does well in the aspect that it shows how Batman struggles in hisThe Dark Knight is a well-written, acted and directed film. Nolan delivers again and hits it big in the adaptation of The Joker and how he toys with Batman. This film is dark, exciting and satisfying. The ending is the only part that falls slightly short but only because they cannot put The Joker in the sequel. This film does well in the aspect that it shows how Batman struggles in his internal fight between being morally correct by not killing The Joker or breaking his rules and killing the Joker. It is interesting to see Bruce Wayne's decisions as Batman and how they pan out. Well done. These reasons are why i gave it a 9 out of 10. If i could I would have given it an 8.7 but there are no decimals while rating movies on Metacritic. I recommend this film to anyone wanting to watch a good film that has 2 and a half hours on their time. Enjoy! Expand
  74. Jul 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight was a revolutionary movie of its kind (Superhero movies). It really brings out the darker side to what being a superhero is and how it can affect that person as well as the people around him/her. Not only was unique to other superhero movies but it was superior to them as well as many other movies in terms of acting, special effects and the lasting appeal. Honestly words dont describe how well Heath Ledger played The Joker, as well as the life and 'madness' he brought into this movie. Take the first scene of this movie, where the Joker and his men robbed the bank, and how he tricked them into killing eachother. I have never seen a more absorbing first scene to a movie. Yes I agree that Christian Bale could of put a little more then a deep voice into the Batman character, but being how he was, he really made the villains in the movie (Two Face and Joker) shine. This movie brought a lot to the movie industry and would be hard to top as a superhero movie. I think this movie outshone both the Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises in almost all aspects and should not be treated as merely any old movie. Overall it tops my list and I highly encourage everyone to watch it. Expand
  75. Jul 19, 2012
    Although it has its flaws, it is a wonderfully crafted piece of epic crime drama that explodes past expectations with an excellent script, exhilarating special effects, amazing acting, and powerful themes.
  76. Jul 19, 2012
    TDK is one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. Joker did a great job. The script is fabulous. Chris did well. I think Christoper Nolan is something. I mean he is genius. This is one of my period favorite movies.
  77. Jul 23, 2012
    This is a true superhero movie. An exquisite Masterpiece, in this film there is a touch of realism that bring you into the world of Batman. It is unbelievable seeing this film in comparison to Tim Burton Batman back in the 1990s. Nolan have took away the gothic and traditional perception of the characters and made it his own. Batman is no long wearing rubber suits, the joker is no longThis is a true superhero movie. An exquisite Masterpiece, in this film there is a touch of realism that bring you into the world of Batman. It is unbelievable seeing this film in comparison to Tim Burton Batman back in the 1990s. Nolan have took away the gothic and traditional perception of the characters and made it his own. Batman is no long wearing rubber suits, the joker is no long flamboyant, Alfred is no long just a guy carrying tea around the place and Harvey Dent is no longer the guy with a perfectly halfed red face. These characters changed for the better in this film.

Heath Ledger is am absolute inspiration to all of us, when I walked into the cinemas on the opening night I didn't expect much, I didn't know who is in the film apart from the names on the poster and I thought "it's a new batman film lets see how this one in compared to the others" from the first second when the DC comic sign sppeared on screen the soundtrack behind it create a huge suspense, I have no idea where it is going to lead me then it starts, the glass shatters, the guns started to go off then the joker appeared. At that point that was the very first time I saw the joker, and "holy **** I thought to myself. The look on the jokers face scared the sh** out of me I didn't know it is going look like that. It thought another Tim Burton joker, but I was completely shocked the action continues and does not allow you to have a breath. That's why this movie is so good thats why "it makes the marvel movies look silly" The stunts, the action, the story, the acting and the interaction between characters really capture you into this movie. Today this film is on DVD or Blue Ray but while The Dark Knight Rises is on screen, The Dark Knight is also playing in IMAX theatres so why no go see it on the massive screen again it's worth every cent!
  78. Aug 25, 2012
    The Dark Knight Is One Of My Favorite Films Of All Time Ranking Second On My Top Ten Favorite Films List On IMDB Behind My Number One Favorite Film Of All Time Citizen Kane, I Like This Movie Because Of Heath Ledger's Performance As The Joker, This Is The ''Gone With The Wind'' Of Comic Book Movies.
  79. Nov 17, 2012
    This is just a great film. It's over every superhero movie because of it's complex story, spectacular acting (Heath Ledger deserved that Oscar (R.I.P.) and entertaining action. I don't know why some people say this movie is just "good". That's complete jelaousy! F***ing haters.
  80. Dec 7, 2012
    one of the fantastic movie i have ever watched.... i am obsessed about it... everyone should watch this movie... have fun.............................
  81. Nov 8, 2011
    Everything about this movie wins, the actors, the plot, the action-sequences, the soundtrack, and every other factor that i've regrettably decided to leave out to keep this review brief. It's really surprising considering that every other DC film for the past few decades (Batman Begins being the obvious exception) has been quite the **** but from start to finish, the Dark Knight will haveEverything about this movie wins, the actors, the plot, the action-sequences, the soundtrack, and every other factor that i've regrettably decided to leave out to keep this review brief. It's really surprising considering that every other DC film for the past few decades (Batman Begins being the obvious exception) has been quite the **** but from start to finish, the Dark Knight will have you glued to your screen, a must watch for anyone with a soul, and even more so for fans of Heath Ledger, the best actor ever :D Expand
  82. Sep 28, 2010
    You want action?! You got it!! You want a 185 million dollar movie that is perfect?! You got it!! You want the best f***ing batman movie ever?!?! YOU GOT IT!!!!!!!! It's just heaven for Batman and Cinema buffs alike. Hollywood should learn their lesson about making constant crap comic book movies. DC and MARVEL are the two big competitors while Dark Horse just sits quietly in theYou want action?! You got it!! You want a 185 million dollar movie that is perfect?! You got it!! You want the best f***ing batman movie ever?!?! YOU GOT IT!!!!!!!! It's just heaven for Batman and Cinema buffs alike. Hollywood should learn their lesson about making constant crap comic book movies. DC and MARVEL are the two big competitors while Dark Horse just sits quietly in the background and makes only a handful of movies that include the Mask, Sin City and the Goon which is yet to come out.
    DC has finally made a masterful super hero movie again.

In an era where superhero movies unfortunately rule everything in the movie industry this is the golden light of the genre. Heath Ledger's performance made the movie for real. Without him it would still be great but not perfect. That's how important he is.

MARVEL should learn from DC's masterpiece and not make another like MARVEL's Wolverine Origins. I hated that movie. The Dark Knight is a golden movie that nobody should miss out on. simple as that.
  83. May 1, 2011
    This movie is really just trying to disguise what it is. What it is is just another Batman movie. It added pointless layers of depth to itself so that critics could not write it off as another superhero movie. I liked it when it was just Batman beating the crap out of criminals, and not Batman being a political figure. I usually like Christopher Nolan movies, but he really was overloadingThis movie is really just trying to disguise what it is. What it is is just another Batman movie. It added pointless layers of depth to itself so that critics could not write it off as another superhero movie. I liked it when it was just Batman beating the crap out of criminals, and not Batman being a political figure. I usually like Christopher Nolan movies, but he really was overloading this one and makes it complicated enough that the regular audience of Batman films (6-10 yr olds) wont enjoy it and end up calling it boring. In short, great as a superhero movie and confused as a political thriller. Expand
  84. Dec 5, 2011
    is the best movie about Batman, because almost all the cast and special effects that could use very well. The actor who do Joker is fantastic, but the woman who makes Rachel she has attitude and is very ugly
  85. Jan 3, 2012
    Christopher Nolan directs an epic, emotional thrill ride. Providing nonstop action incredible performances especially Heath Ledger who gives the best adaptation of one of the most memorable villains. This movie is one of the most unforgettable experiences you will have until the last one arrives. I give this movie 90%.
  86. ColinF.
    Jul 19, 2008
    There is an absolute lack of realism, not in relation to the superhero whom is allowed a pass in this aspect, but in the makeup of the plot in relation to the cops and technology of the movie. The scene with the magical cell phone technology that can somehow make any cell phone in Gotham create a ridiculous 3-d video image around it is the epitomy of the stupidity. Joker was faboulous but There is an absolute lack of realism, not in relation to the superhero whom is allowed a pass in this aspect, but in the makeup of the plot in relation to the cops and technology of the movie. The scene with the magical cell phone technology that can somehow make any cell phone in Gotham create a ridiculous 3-d video image around it is the epitomy of the stupidity. Joker was faboulous but not enough to warrant my nine dollars and the hype. Expand
  87. DaleM
    Dec 15, 2008
    This movie is a mix of utterly serious themes mixed with a bunch of silliness. One minute an 18-wheeler is racing down city streets taking corners at 50 miles an hour in a manner 18-wheelers just don't do, and the next someone is brooding on some deep subject. The seriousness ruins the fun factor of the movie, and the fun stuff makes the serious seem bathetic.
  88. Fantasy
    Jul 20, 2008
    This was a very tough movie to grade. The bottom line is this is not the cartoon BATMAN. Instead under the guise of the Batman character we have a very dark psychological socialpath slasher movie. How this movie was given a PG 13 rating is beyond me? Any parent considering taking their child to see this thinking they are going to see the old POW BAM ZAP Batman is in for a great surprise. This was a very tough movie to grade. The bottom line is this is not the cartoon BATMAN. Instead under the guise of the Batman character we have a very dark psychological socialpath slasher movie. How this movie was given a PG 13 rating is beyond me? Any parent considering taking their child to see this thinking they are going to see the old POW BAM ZAP Batman is in for a great surprise. Heath Ledger as The JOKER is demented and belongs in a rubber room. Hanibal Lechter should come to mind because that is how disturbed his character is. IF you remember the knife scene from Saving Private Ryan well be prepared to be subjected to two grueling hours of this blood and mayhem. This is a violent sick disturberd movie masquerading under a cartoon character to make all of you go ga ga. P T Barnum once said a sucker is born every minute. Well as I said this is not a cartoon character and 15 minutes into the film you will be sitting on the edge of your seat. The violence is non stop and at one point it becomes overbearing. But when you see children in harms way and the constant disregard for human life with terroristic attacks well that is taking it to the limit. If they had made this movie under a different name with no connection to the cartoon character at least the audience would be prepared for what they are about to see. Heath Ledger is simply brilliant and will definitely win an OSCAR for his portrayal of the manical JOKER. But to say this is BATMAN is totally unfair. DARK is definitely appropriate for the makeup of this film. Not my cup of tea. Do NOT take any children to see this. Expand
  89. PaulioG.
    Nov 18, 2008
    Over the top story, acting, action, runtime, characters, and critical acclaim. The only aspect of this movie Not OTT was Batman. Who was underplayed, had a silly voice, and didnt seem to be in the movie that much.
  90. PriM
    Jan 12, 2009
    Overlong, disjointed, with a convoluted plot and a good helping of silliness and hype. Completely devoid of any charm, unlike Burton's Batman, or even Nolan's previous effort. No likable characters, apart from Oldman's perhaps. Bale now seems bored of the role. Freeman is still doing his 'Q' bit and I'm still getting used to Michael '..blow the the Overlong, disjointed, with a convoluted plot and a good helping of silliness and hype. Completely devoid of any charm, unlike Burton's Batman, or even Nolan's previous effort. No likable characters, apart from Oldman's perhaps. Bale now seems bored of the role. Freeman is still doing his 'Q' bit and I'm still getting used to Michael '..blow the the bloody doors off' Caine playing Alfred. Granted, Heath did very well. Batman and the Joker, due to their own reasons, pose no real threat to each other. Dent's U-turn from good to bad was laughable and the movie ends with a muddled moralistic pompous message that fails to truly uplift. TDK might still be riding on the crest of a wave of popularity and hype ( due mainly to one guys performance and untimely death) but I have a feeling the years will not be kind to this movie. Expand
  91. Feb 13, 2012
    A film with too many plot holes. The plot is all over the place. This film really should of been split in two to make it flow better. As is, it's one giant cluster ****
  92. Oct 7, 2010
    The Dark Knight is the most overhyped event in the past 10 years. Batman Begins was pretty good, but this? THIS?? Chris Nolan went experimental and tried to do a "big movie" about crime, anarchy and stuff, but kind of forgot its entertainment value. The film has excellent cinematography and does have good acting with a solid performance of Aaron Eckhart and Heath Ledger as the Joker is theThe Dark Knight is the most overhyped event in the past 10 years. Batman Begins was pretty good, but this? THIS?? Chris Nolan went experimental and tried to do a "big movie" about crime, anarchy and stuff, but kind of forgot its entertainment value. The film has excellent cinematography and does have good acting with a solid performance of Aaron Eckhart and Heath Ledger as the Joker is the most unique interpretation of a psycho killer with a level of craziness Johnny Depp can only dream of, but there is no point in having solid performances if there is no plot nor story. I am not going to write a plot overview for this movie because there isn't one. Did something really happen in this movie? Was there something worth telling? Sorry if you're a fan, but there was no point in making this "film". No story in a 2 and half hour long movie is dreadful, I'd rather watch something like Watchmen Ultimate Cut with a running time of 3 and a half hours than this, this film is interesting as long as the running time and then it's over. Can you recall any moment in this film? No? I'm not surprised, That is why I say this film lacked a story. Batman Begins will be remembered for being influential, The Dark Knight will only be remembered by its huge hype and overrated reviews. Expand
  93. Feb 14, 2013
    The Dark Knight makes no sense, the scenes go by so rapidly and with so little connection to the next frame that you're often wondering what the heck you just watched or why something happened. The movie is terribly convoluted, lasting 2 hours and 26 minutes. It could havbe actually ended at around 1 hour and 20 minutes and the audience would have been perfectly satisfied and the restThe Dark Knight makes no sense, the scenes go by so rapidly and with so little connection to the next frame that you're often wondering what the heck you just watched or why something happened. The movie is terribly convoluted, lasting 2 hours and 26 minutes. It could havbe actually ended at around 1 hour and 20 minutes and the audience would have been perfectly satisfied and the rest could have been made into another movie. Instead, they rinse and repeat for another hour. There are a whole bunch of gizmos and gadgets that were just thrown in there to look gadgety, they add absolutely nothing to the movie. Why is there such a discrepancy between the technology Batman uses and the technology the police use? If Batman loves to fight crime, why doesn't he increase the survival chance of the average cop or give them a pay raise so they're less inclined to corruption? Heck, why doesn't he feed the poor so they won't have to steal? There is barely any Batman and when there is, we get poorly choreographed fights with people that have such unbelievable poor aim you do not consider them evil at all since they rarely hit anything and we never really see 'm commit any crimes either. Mostly they just sit around talk about how they're going to take over the city. Last time I checked, this is not a crime. Batman's accent is horrible, it's as if though they were trying to raise awareness for throat cancer victims. It's not mysterious, it's not dark it's just ridiculous. If anyone were to talk like that while dressed in a giant costume you wouldn't be able to take them seriously no matter how hard you tried. I also think the butler is far too haugty, I recall him to be very servile and humble.I've never been a big fan of Batman, the idea of a rich industrialist going after "criminals" is just a completely unrealistic yuppie fantasie but I'm open for a good interpretation of some old comic if delivered right. This is not a good interpretation, I'd rather watch the 70's cartoons. The acting is semi-decent, I'm not too impressed by the Joker. he seems pretty meek for a villain. He also seems more human than the rest of the cast. That's a mistake for a movie that's about good and evil from a 50's point of view. And what's with these annoying women playing the love interests? Maybe they should have made Batman pair up with a really queer yet loyal construction worker that likes to run around in a furry suit instead of a woman that likes to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds. You know, actually gives us a character we can laugh about instead of make us run out of nails to bite. Or maybe America just has a thing for unloyal, undecisive annoying women on the silver-screen? Same went for Spiderman. Great movies, just couldn't stand the female lead because of her inability to actually stand behind her man or make a choice. Sure it's all in the script but somehow these women play the part perfectly, they all have the same annoying look on their face when they deliver the same old lines. The batmobile wasn't very iconic either, it looked like something Mad-Max'ish and seemed out of place. I'm pretty sure Batman is breaking a few laws driving around with a mobile razor-blade! I'd hate to be stuck with a vigilante that believes the police force is incapable of handling crime yet delivers the criminals into their hands each and every time. Batman, unlike The Punisher, isn't timeless and it shows. Horrible movie, given the hype I expected way more. Expand
  94. PaulT
    Oct 1, 2008
    I have to agree with Karen. For me the best scenes were those that involved dialog. Movie strated very well, but just seemed to get more and more silly. Silly to the point where the story was not relevent anymore. A major disapointment as far as I was concerned
  95. Sep 19, 2010
    Director Nolan illustrates his movie too darkly and too gloomy. Why this super-hero movie should deserve to philosophically intricated one. Watching Super-hero movie is merely for fun.
  96. LinL
    Jan 4, 2009
    Some swell special effects . . . but I wonder, do you have to be a comic book aficionado to buy into the whole "superhero as tortured neurotic incompetent" bit? I thought "Iron Man" was a lot more satisfying.
  97. Darryl
    Jul 20, 2008
    Mediocre at best, if you want a great movie.... see Iron Man, or Wanted.... There has been way too much hype over this movie, and I think a lot has to do with the untimely death of Heath Ledger ..who steals the movie and is a sure Oscar winner with his performance.
  98. JoshC.
    Nov 9, 2008
    A sadly average movie that is grossly overrated. While many performances are great (despite the much talked about performance of Heath Ledger, Freeman, Caine, and Oldman give equally good performances) and some truly breathtaking moments (a bound to be much repeated opening shot that slowly zooms in over the skyline), the movie is killed by it's length, overly-convoluted plot and A sadly average movie that is grossly overrated. While many performances are great (despite the much talked about performance of Heath Ledger, Freeman, Caine, and Oldman give equally good performances) and some truly breathtaking moments (a bound to be much repeated opening shot that slowly zooms in over the skyline), the movie is killed by it's length, overly-convoluted plot and lack of any real character development. More depressing still are the flat performances of Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart and Maggie Gyllenhaal, all of whom are too stiff and bland to really care about. A number of smaller problems (a stupidly overdone batsuit, a two-face subplot that doesn't go anywhere, and Bruce Wayne coming off as far too whiny) all bring down the film. Which is a true shame as the movie shows real potential in a lot of areas. However, the film starts strong and ends up going nowhere for far too long. Expand
  99. BillR.
    Jul 20, 2008
    i presume those who keep scoring "10" are teens? such an opportunity gone begging to flesh out the Joker. They could have focused on his childhood, the factors which drove him to the edge and gave Heath a meatier role that could have gone down in history. Instead we had a 150 min movie, brlliantly produced , but lacked characters with emotional depth. Mr Ledger is capable of so much i presume those who keep scoring "10" are teens? such an opportunity gone begging to flesh out the Joker. They could have focused on his childhood, the factors which drove him to the edge and gave Heath a meatier role that could have gone down in history. Instead we had a 150 min movie, brlliantly produced , but lacked characters with emotional depth. Mr Ledger is capable of so much better. Scintillating stuff for the xbox 360 crowd. Expand

May be the most hopeless, despairing comic-book movie in memory. It creates a world where being a superhero is at best a double-edged sword and no triumph is likely to be anything but short-lived.
  2. Mixing bravura filmmaking with flat clichés in about equal amounts, The Dark Knight is all about dualism. Appropriately, the movie's half-inspired, half-frustrating.
  3. An action blockbuster extravaganza that's sadder than sad and never pretends otherwise.