4.6

1. sidb.
    Dec 30, 2008
    The beginning of the movie seemed to be going somewhere but honestly this movie was terrible. What were the people making this movie thinking honestly? They have known what people would think of this film. Just terrible. Even worst than War of the Worlds. Don't waste your time seeing this.
  2. M.M.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Terrible movie. I give it a 2 for Jennifer Connelly and Keanu Reeves who did their best with the horrible script and some decent cgi. I thought Jaden Smith was acting bad and more importantly..annoying and distracting as hell. He might be cute for comedies with his funny hair but he can't do dramatic scenes with subjects like losing a parent. There a lots of better child actors out Terrible movie. I give it a 2 for Jennifer Connelly and Keanu Reeves who did their best with the horrible script and some decent cgi. I thought Jaden Smith was acting bad and more importantly..annoying and distracting as hell. He might be cute for comedies with his funny hair but he can't do dramatic scenes with subjects like losing a parent. There a lots of better child actors out there. His character was useless and distracting for the movie. But that is also the fault of the screen writer and the director. Ever heard of pacing?? And also ever heard of the audience sympathizing for at least one of the characters?? Avoid if you can. Dumb remake with unsympathetic characters including a very irritating Jaden Smith. Expand
  3. MarsP
    Jan 27, 2009
    I really don't get how you can 100 million dollars on a movie and then have a complete idiot write the script. Why,o why, would you greet our first interstellar visitor with a bullet and "enhanced interrogation" techniques?
  4. JPS.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Boring movie. If they had edited down to a 30 minute short it might have been exciting.
  5. ClifC.
    Mar 2, 2009
    The only thing I really appreciated were the special effects. But Keanu Reeves simply can't act. The end is so bad, I really didn't like it. Plus, there's absolutely nothing to say about the story, it' quite boring.
  6. bradb
    Apr 11, 2009
    One of the five worst (not worse) films of 2008. Pathetically dreadful. Only character of interest was John Cleese.There needs to be a movie remake committee somewhere that can stop a green light on this crap!
  7. landonw
    Apr 10, 2009
    A one for special effects, now the real part of the movie review, im a fan of the 1951, and keanu is good in sci-fi, BUT jenifers staring & wonder at this great alien & his robot is not enough to say this has epic action, just the opposite. They Fail miserably in the movie is with GORT, simply they dont stop him like in the original or really even try too, He only stares and has less A one for special effects, now the real part of the movie review, im a fan of the 1951, and keanu is good in sci-fi, BUT jenifers staring & wonder at this great alien & his robot is not enough to say this has epic action, just the opposite. They Fail miserably in the movie is with GORT, simply they dont stop him like in the original or really even try too, He only stares and has less screen time then Darth Maul did! enuff said! Expand
  8. Teddy
    Dec 14, 2008
    Awful is an understatement. There was no suspense, a poorly written script, and no character development. Even when they had the opportunity to do something out of this world the director missed the opportunity as he seemed to color his picture by the numbers. How can you take a classic and turn it into this garbage. Avoid.
  9. Darwin
    Dec 21, 2008
    Dreadful film that is slow moving without any character development. With just a little imagination it could have been so much more. An embarrassment to share the same title as the 1951 classic. Keanu Reeves sleepwalks through his role. Terribly disappointing.
  10. Lolita
    Dec 21, 2008
    Pretty lame flick without any suspense. It was so bad I started laughing at some of the dialog. Keanu Reeves is a joke. Who makes these things? Idiots?
  11. GuyG.
    Dec 27, 2008
    One of the worse movies I've ever seen. The movie totally betways the intended story line. More time is spent discussing the live of the main femail character and her inter-racial son than the story line. The movie fails to caputre your interest, the acting was extremely bad. I urge you to never see this movie.
  12. BrockM
    Apr 29, 2009
    This is possible the worst movie ever made. It was worse than The Day After Tomorrow and the Core put together. The script is terrible, the best actor is the large sentinel thing and worst of all, nothing happens! The worst bits of hollywood mega "event" movies distilled into one big mess. Rubbish
  13. Lane
    Dec 13, 2008
    Lame. No sane investor could ever sanction the money they spent to make this ridiculous film unless they wanted to go broke. No bailout for this crapola.
  14. S.Dean
    Dec 14, 2008
    Basically, this movie is about Global Warming. With a terrible subject as it's foundation, and horrid story poorly draped over it, this movie had no chance. The CG even looked bad.
  15. Beatrice
    Dec 18, 2008
    What have we become? To even call this movie by the same name as the black and white classic is an insult. For those of you who liked or even loved this movie I would suggest that you rent the original and then you will understand how terrible a movie this is. You need to check your brains in at the door as there is nothing suspenseful or interesting. Keanu Reeves must have a death wish What have we become? To even call this movie by the same name as the black and white classic is an insult. For those of you who liked or even loved this movie I would suggest that you rent the original and then you will understand how terrible a movie this is. You need to check your brains in at the door as there is nothing suspenseful or interesting. Keanu Reeves must have a death wish because this is as bad as it gets. Horrible flick. Expand
  16. Aaron
    Dec 21, 2008
    To those of you who are taken in with the childlike computer generated special effects who don't know any better, I suggest you watch the black and white 1951 original classic. Then you'll understand what a good movie truly is. This remake is total garbage not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath with the original.
  17. Algore
    Dec 22, 2008
    See what happens if you don't listen to me? That was me Al as GORT. I had as big a part as I did as VP. Yeah the movie makes no sense and after about a half hour in you realize you have been taken. Those diamond mosquito's are now on the endangered list. LOL
  18. MartD
    Feb 27, 2009
    One of the worse ever seen...
  19. GnushB
    Apr 12, 2009
    One of the worst sci-fis of all time. Story doesn't make sense, terrible dialogue and bad acting. Jaden Smith can't be cast in another movie. That is nepotism. Boy CANNOT act!!!!!! He ruins every movie he's in.
  20. StuJ
    Apr 28, 2009
    Cannot believe how bad this is. The interrelationship between the robot and Klatu never explained? The day everything stood still?? The famous line we all ran around saying to each other as kids? eeves was well cast -- a part requiring no acting fits him ever so well. A massive demonstration of Hollywood bungling. Special effects do not a movie make. I need to rewatch the original to Cannot believe how bad this is. The interrelationship between the robot and Klatu never explained? The day everything stood still?? The famous line we all ran around saying to each other as kids? eeves was well cast -- a part requiring no acting fits him ever so well. A massive demonstration of Hollywood bungling. Special effects do not a movie make. I need to rewatch the original to purge any memory of this from my mind. Expand
  21. Squall
    Dec 13, 2008
    The begging quesion is Keanu Reeves alive. More importantly does anyone care? This may be one of the worst most boring movies of the year. A definite contender for a Razzberry.
  22. DaveS.
    Dec 14, 2008
    It was ok until the anti-climatic ending when the world is lift with a bunch of dead metal bugs and no power.
  23. FrankG
    Dec 21, 2008
    The plot makes no sense, the script is illogical and the acting is poor. The kid adds nothing to the story or the mood of the movie. What's particularly sad is that the film makers didn't seem to get the idea of the original, fabulous, movie from the 50's. There's a reason that the original is a kind of cultural icon--it works on many levels, it's entertaining. The plot makes no sense, the script is illogical and the acting is poor. The kid adds nothing to the story or the mood of the movie. What's particularly sad is that the film makers didn't seem to get the idea of the original, fabulous, movie from the 50's. There's a reason that the original is a kind of cultural icon--it works on many levels, it's entertaining. With virtually no special effects beyond those implied by the story, the power involved was clear. In this new version, Keanu seems sometimes to have extraordinary powers, sometimes not. He never seems either smart or wise. Expand
  24. GeorgeK
    Dec 21, 2008
    Walked out! Terrible acting. Played-out storyline.
  25. NiceKid
    Dec 22, 2008
    Keanu Reeves was going for a terrible Arnold Swartssnagger (spelled wrong srry) theme with his acting. You couldn't tell if he wasn't trying to act or if he was trying to hard.
  26. Apr 6, 2013
    The Day The Earth Stood Still got off on a decent start, offering some suspense and mystery despite several incosistencies in the plot but then again, it is a Hollywood movie. However, halfway through the movie slowly develops into a piece of modernist propaganda about how the human race is destroying the earth and how we're not worthy of living on it, the military is evil and bigThe Day The Earth Stood Still got off on a decent start, offering some suspense and mystery despite several incosistencies in the plot but then again, it is a Hollywood movie. However, halfway through the movie slowly develops into a piece of modernist propaganda about how the human race is destroying the earth and how we're not worthy of living on it, the military is evil and big government can only make things worse.

And yes, there's no denying that but at some point a gigantic McDonalds "M" shows up and you realise that this movie isn't trying to make a difference or criticize the industrialist's destructive behaviour, it's trying to tell us that the current human condition is as good as it gets and that we should be at peace with what's happening. After all, even an alien race that came to destroy us can be convinced that human civilization is in fact completely awesome and worth saving! Now drive out there with your Honda, buy yourself a hamburger at McDonalds but be sure to keep an eye out on your Citizen's watch, you wouldn't want to forget about time; the one invention that makes sure we all do exactly what we're told when we're told to do it.

Still, this doesn't really bother me. I've watched many propaganda pieces before and I've enjoyed some of them thoroughly but TDtESS is simply a bad movie. It has completely miscast actors, plotholes large enough to fit a gigantic robot through and the story is a rehash of every single Hollywood cliché of the past 30 years or so: annoying kid that constantly gets everyone into trouble smart and friendly older scientist, handsome saviour, lonesome white widow who apparently adopted a black child (Why she couldn't be his mother is beyond me, are they worried it'd make her less attractive or possibly offend the audience? This movie is all about political correctness). I didn't find the low-budget special effects very good either, some of it seemed rather 90's videogames material, especially the gigantic robot. I could not care for any of the characters, new people were constantly introduced but none of them made a lasting impression and they all seemed like cardboard cutouts when it came to their emotions.

Not recommended unless you're a fan of cheesy sci-fi flicks that take themselves way too seriously.
  27. RickK
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sad sad remake of a great movie. Lame updating, and the messege get conveluted. The filmmakers took one of the greatest robots of classic scifi and completely screwed it up. Sad sad movie.
  28. Aug 5, 2011
    Another failed attempt at making a remake of a fantastic classic. I can see where they were going when they got Keanu Reeves to play klatuu. He's your perfect stone faced actor with one expression and he did this part well. But this movie failed hard to bring back the classic 1951 film by the same name. This movie for one was rushed and that got me angry. NOT a good movie and do not recommend it.
  29. MikeH
    Aug 29, 2009
    What happened? seriously... did the original make sense? cos this one didn't... from what i could understand it appeared that aliens came to earth to kill everyone then halfway through decided to take pity on humans and left the planet, leaving us without any form of technology as punishment or something. a 40/100 is definitely more than it deserves.
  30. paulg
    May 13, 2009
    The plot is flawed. and acting is so rigid that any emotion is lost. keanu reeves proves yet once again that unless he has a shades on he is terrible.
  31. NealF
    May 17, 2009
    Predictable and pushing a green agenda.
  32. RobertB
    Jun 6, 2009
    Thank you Keanu Reeves and thank you 20th century fox for ruining a classic.
  33. JayM.
    Aug 26, 2009
    Exemplifies all that is wrong with Hollywood films: an unnecessary remake, an overwrought script, and a director too enamored with special effects for their own sake. Utterly lacking in every department. Charmless.
  34. h-h-h-heinoj.
    Aug 28, 2009
    One of the worst movies ever. Nevertheless, not the worst.
  35. RonnieR.
    Politically correct non-sense!
  36. Sep 4, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I created an account just to express my contempt for this movie. Started out interestingly enough, and devolves into a classic Hollywood 'Hurr-Durr humans are killing de Earff, durr!'

So let me get this right: there are only a handful of planets in the universe capable of complex life, according to the film. Therefore we assume that the races who sent klaatu evolved in a similar manner to us. Yet humans are beyond saving because of some hollywood writers' idea of global warming or other claptrap. What about those other races? did they just jump from amoebas to transcendent beings, and totally bypass their industrial and economic revolutions that require planetary resources? I guess so. Oh well, nothing a few equations written with John Cleese won't fix.
  37. AntwianF.
    Mar 10, 2009
    Keanu sucks. the movie goes no where and will 's boy is the only halfway decent spotlight in this tragedy of a remake.
    Dec 16, 2008
    What a poor excuse for a movie. No sympathetic characters. No excitement. No (intentional) laughs. Low-rent effects. Bogus message. "Happy ending" is that the aliens don't kill us, just stop all our machines. Care to estimate how many billions would starve due to no tractors to pull plows, no trucks to move produce, no refrigerators to keep food fresh? Kinder just to wipe them out, What a poor excuse for a movie. No sympathetic characters. No excitement. No (intentional) laughs. Low-rent effects. Bogus message. "Happy ending" is that the aliens don't kill us, just stop all our machines. Care to estimate how many billions would starve due to no tractors to pull plows, no trucks to move produce, no refrigerators to keep food fresh? Kinder just to wipe them out, no? I've watched other "message" movies that were feeble logically, but were made tolerable because there were characters to identify with, or worthy special effects, or a good laugh or two. This one has nothing to recommend it. I went to IMDB and rated it a 1. Then I hunted down the other 3 movies I had rated as 1s and bumped each of them up to 2. Why must message films always be made by production teams that are ashamed of being human? Expand
  39. PhilipF.
    Dec 13, 2008
    First off, i thought keanu reeves would ruin this movie, but i'll say that he played a decent klaatu. What ruined this movie, is the combination of environmental propaganda, severely bad (and completely unnecessary) product placement, the over use of CG, and a poor replication of the very few similar scenes in the original. it was pointless to remake, the original is still much First off, i thought keanu reeves would ruin this movie, but i'll say that he played a decent klaatu. What ruined this movie, is the combination of environmental propaganda, severely bad (and completely unnecessary) product placement, the over use of CG, and a poor replication of the very few similar scenes in the original. it was pointless to remake, the original is still much better. if you have seen the classic version in black and white, you will walk of out this movie half-disgusted. Expand
  40. SimonM.
    Dec 13, 2008
    Go see the 1951 version, it was waaaaaaaaaaaay better.
  41. RockyB.
    Dec 12, 2008
    A complete disaster in every way, acting, script, new ideas they're all terrible. There's never a moment when you're scared, intigued or even bothered about how it all ends. You feel no empathy for the human race at all, where's the city destruction and human loss? The heart srings are never pulled on and by the time anything of significance happens you're already A complete disaster in every way, acting, script, new ideas they're all terrible. There's never a moment when you're scared, intigued or even bothered about how it all ends. You feel no empathy for the human race at all, where's the city destruction and human loss? The heart srings are never pulled on and by the time anything of significance happens you're already mentally in the car park thinking about what you'll be doing when you get home. It's hard to Judge Reeves on his acting as it's (purposely) wooden but it still seems bad, the child actor, a part which could have made this film as the alien started to feel what humanity was all about is just rubbish. Expand
  42. JimS.
    Dec 13, 2008
    This movie was not as good as the orignal as far as the acting was concerned. Keanu didn't do the movie any favors with his lackluster, emotionless performance. Jennifer's acting was fine. Special effects were nothing special and below average for a modern sci-fi flick.
  43. WayneL.
    Dec 15, 2008
    Poorly written and incoherent. Amazing special effects (even in IMAX) cannot give life to this dog.
  44. JohnE.
    Dec 22, 2008
    compared to the original is sucked, compared to anything it sucked. what a waste of time and money. this would have been better if it had been made by a complete retard running around with his head on fire. A remake of the day the earth stood stil needed to be made, but this is not what is should have been by any strech of the imagination. Please stephen speilberg redo this redo.
  45. KyleT.
    Terrible,terrible movie.
  46. DarrenK.
    sanctimonious drivel.
  47. Fantasy
    Dec 13, 2008
    No one loves science fiction movies more than I do. I saw the original and must have seen it 20 times since then. Michael Rennie was terrific. It was with great anticipation that I was looking forward to the remake. After seeing it this evening there aren't words to describe how awful this turkey was. Keanu Reeves sleepwalks through the film as if he was a zombie. His fellow actors No one loves science fiction movies more than I do. I saw the original and must have seen it 20 times since then. Michael Rennie was terrific. It was with great anticipation that I was looking forward to the remake. After seeing it this evening there aren't words to describe how awful this turkey was. Keanu Reeves sleepwalks through the film as if he was a zombie. His fellow actors had to be embarrassed by the finished product because this was like Chinese Water torture as it meandered along oh so slow. There was nothing frightening, no suspense, no character development, no nothing. And the ending was so lame that theater goers were actually angry walking out of the movie. Save your hard earned dollars because this is one bad film. Expand
  48. JOELS.
    Dec 13, 2008
    Not nearly as well done as the original.
  49. JohnT.
    Dec 12, 2008
    One of the worst movies I have ever seen.
  50. ChuckO.
    Dec 16, 2008
    Not even a good popcorn movie.
  51. Aug 11, 2014
    Atypical, but also unprecedently bad film processing, extreme stupidly presented main movie ideas and reasoning between characters on 3th american school grade level. Story almost says nothing logic and someone claim meaning of this movie as main positive???!!!!! Well there is original view on invasion-apocalypse theme, unlike Independence Day style, and interesting visual-audioAtypical, but also unprecedently bad film processing, extreme stupidly presented main movie ideas and reasoning between characters on 3th american school grade level. Story almost says nothing logic and someone claim meaning of this movie as main positive???!!!!! Well there is original view on invasion-apocalypse theme, unlike Independence Day style, and interesting visual-audio aesthetics. Good acting by main protagonist, and tension, to make people to think about their preferences in live, and about ways of our race. 2/10 for that Expand
  52. Apr 18, 2014
    Out of all the movie I have seen in my life this is my least favourite. I have never fallen asleep watching a movie and this one almost had me falling asleep. Nothing interesting happened in it and was so boring. I was actually looking forward to watching this one but holy was it bad. Don't watch this movie you will not enjoy it.
  53. Jun 30, 2015
    One of the worst movies. I understand that he wants to be a remake and may bring tribute or something. But he never fails to keep me tied to monitor .

1. The original Day the Earth Stood Still had a paranoid poetry that lifted the audience up even as it warned the world to come together. This one is so dour it just comes off as a scolding.
  2. Reviewed by: Luke Y. Thompson
    The problem here is that there are no big ideas.
    Dull, unnecessary film.