4.5

1. Nov 26, 2010
    This was quite a bit better than i had expected. Thematically updated for the world's current parlous state. Keanu Reeves is well cast as Klaatu. Maybe not the classic of the 1951 original but still watchable.
  2. Aug 5, 2011
    Another failed attempt at making a remake of a fantastic classic. I can see where they were going when they got Keanu Reeves to play klatuu. He's your perfect stone faced actor with one expression and he did this part well. But this movie failed hard to bring back the classic 1951 film by the same name. This movie for one was rushed and that got me angry. NOT a good movie and do not recommend it.
  3. Sep 4, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I created an account just to express my contempt for this movie. Started out interestingly enough, and devolves into a classic Hollywood 'Hurr-Durr humans are killing de Earff, durr!'

So let me get this right: there are only a handful of planets in the universe capable of complex life, according to the film. Therefore we assume that the races who sent klaatu evolved in a similar manner to us. Yet humans are beyond saving because of some hollywood writers' idea of global warming or other claptrap. What about those other races? did they just jump from amoebas to transcendent beings, and totally bypass their industrial and economic revolutions that require planetary resources? I guess so. Oh well, nothing a few equations written with John Cleese won't fix.
  4. Apr 6, 2013
    The Day The Earth Stood Still got off on a decent start, offering some suspense and mystery despite several incosistencies in the plot but then again, it is a Hollywood movie. However, halfway through the movie slowly develops into a piece of modernist propaganda about how the human race is destroying the earth and how we're not worthy of living on it, the military is evil and big government can only make things worse.

And yes, there's no denying that but at some point a gigantic McDonalds "M" shows up and you realise that this movie isn't trying to make a difference or criticize the industrialist's destructive behaviour, it's trying to tell us that the current human condition is as good as it gets and that we should be at peace with what's happening. After all, even an alien race that came to destroy us can be convinced that human civilization is in fact completely awesome and worth saving! Now drive out there with your Honda, buy yourself a hamburger at McDonalds but be sure to keep an eye out on your Citizen's watch, you wouldn't want to forget about time; the one invention that makes sure we all do exactly what we're told when we're told to do it.

Still, this doesn't really bother me. I've watched many propaganda pieces before and I've enjoyed some of them thoroughly but TDtESS is simply a bad movie. It has completely miscast actors, plotholes large enough to fit a gigantic robot through and the story is a rehash of every single Hollywood cliché of the past 30 years or so: annoying kid that constantly gets everyone into trouble smart and friendly older scientist, handsome saviour, lonesome white widow who apparently adopted a black child (Why she couldn't be his mother is beyond me, are they worried it'd make her less attractive or possibly offend the audience? This movie is all about political correctness). I didn't find the low-budget special effects very good either, some of it seemed rather 90's videogames material, especially the gigantic robot. I could not care for any of the characters, new people were constantly introduced but none of them made a lasting impression and they all seemed like cardboard cutouts when it came to their emotions.

Not recommended unless you're a fan of cheesy sci-fi flicks that take themselves way too seriously.
  5. Mar 30, 2012
    This movie could have been a whole lot better. The story is way too stupid and with a bunch of big actors nothing comes alive. Keanu Reeves is the worst actor of are generation so he doesn't help. The helicopters weren't even real, what a cheap movie and it showed.
  6. Feb 5, 2013
    Never saw the original. I'm judging this film based off other sci-fi I've read and watched. It was an interesting premise that started off decent enough but withing 20 minutes was quickly losing focus. The film nose dives into a terrible direction and ends in an absurd manner.
  7. Jun 18, 2011
    I've rated this film a 10, not because it deserves a 10, but becaue the average of 4.5 is ridiculous. It was always going to struggle. A remake of a well loved movie that doesn't lend itself to the dumb immediate payback of modern action movies - it was screwed from the start. Critised for not being the original movie and for not being modern and full of action, or an exact duplicate, it never stood a chance. Actually there are a lot of subtleties to the movie, and the new twist on the old twist is brilliantly delivered; for most of the movie I thought they'd forgotten the movie's name, and yet it turns out to be more poignant than in the original.
    Well worth watching if you have half a brain, but I suggest watching the orignal first. The makers of this film did, and it shows.
  8. Apr 13, 2012
    Quel gâchis! Voilà ce qui m'est venu à l'esprit dès l'apparition du générique final. Gâchis car, franchement, il y avait quelque chose à tirer de ce remake. Tout d'abord, il faut bien avouer que le film a le mérite d'être d'actualité (écologie, famille recomposée...), de proposer un casting pas si catastrophique que ça (Keanu Reeves arrive à rendre utile son jeu toujours aussi fade) et que le compositeur tente d'installer une ambiance adéquate . Malheureusement, le terme de remake hollywoodien se fait grandement sentir : trop de moyens pour rien (pas de punch), effets numériques inégaux, mise en scène sans âme, happy end brutal et indigeste... Bref, c'est loupé malgré que l'ensemble se laisse suivre. Expand
  9. Feb 23, 2013
    So I feel that both this version and the 1951 version both have their ups and downs. The 1951 version may look cheap compared to todays standards and the ending left me wanting more, but the acting and believability are extremely high. Fortunately, the 2008 remake retains the believability. The large amount of special effects doesn't make the story of this version less interesting. My eyes remained glued to the screen as I deeply was invested in what the characters would do next. A lot more of the science and the technology of the situation is explained in this version, and putting it in the modern times didn't remove the important plot elements. I think if you enjoyed the 1951 version, you should't have many reasons to hate this one. Expand
  10. Aug 11, 2014
    Atypical, but also unprecedently bad film processing, extreme stupidly presented main movie ideas and reasoning between characters on 3th american school grade level. Story almost says nothing logic and someone claim meaning of this movie as main positive???!!!!! Well there is original view on invasion-apocalypse theme, unlike Independence Day style, and interesting visual-audio aesthetics. Good acting by main protagonist, and tension, to make people to think about their preferences in live, and about ways of our race. 2/10 for that Expand
  11. Jan 1, 2014
    The Day the Earth Stood Still had a misleading trailer which shows it being action packed and containing tonnes of special effects. These are all present and visually stunning but also significantly spaced out making it drag and cause yawns in-between.
  12. Feb 16, 2014
    The Day the Earth Stood Still is a great movie when it comes to action and science fiction, but the story is a little lengthy and the tempo is slow.

This movie got an exiting beginning, and the movie overall felt thrilling. The story is good, and the events in this film really felt logical for form a "human behavior perspective". Another thing that's good is the story, the actors and
    the special effects, and it's a very unique movie. The bad thing about The Day the Earth Stood Still is that it's a little boring sometimes, and that they could have done the special effects a little better, but also that the tempo is too slow. Another bad thing is the ending, it felt that it was something missing, but overall is this a okay movie to watch, and combined with a good soundtrack is this a good movie, but not more.

The Day the Earth Stood Still gets a 7/10
  13. Apr 18, 2014
    Out of all the movie I have seen in my life this is my least favourite. I have never fallen asleep watching a movie and this one almost had me falling asleep. Nothing interesting happened in it and was so boring. I was actually looking forward to watching this one but holy was it bad. Don't watch this movie you will not enjoy it.

1. The original Day the Earth Stood Still had a paranoid poetry that lifted the audience up even as it warned the world to come together. This one is so dour it just comes off as a scolding.
  2. Reviewed by: Luke Y. Thompson
    The problem here is that there are no big ideas.
    Dull, unnecessary film.