4.6

1. Jun 18, 2011
    I've rated this film a 10, not because it deserves a 10, but becaue the average of 4.5 is ridiculous. It was always going to struggle. A remake of a well loved movie that doesn't lend itself to the dumb immediate payback of modern action movies - it was screwed from the start. Critised for not being the original movie and for not being modern and full of action, or an exact duplicate, it never stood a chance. Actually there are a lot of subtleties to the movie, and the new twist on the old twist is brilliantly delivered; for most of the movie I thought they'd forgotten the movie's name, and yet it turns out to be more poignant than in the original.
    Well worth watching if you have half a brain, but I suggest watching the orignal first. The makers of this film did, and it shows.
  2. Feb 23, 2013
    So I feel that both this version and the 1951 version both have their ups and downs. The 1951 version may look cheap compared to todays standards and the ending left me wanting more, but the acting and believability are extremely high. Fortunately, the 2008 remake retains the believability. The large amount of special effects doesn't make the story of this version less interesting. My eyes remained glued to the screen as I deeply was invested in what the characters would do next. A lot more of the science and the technology of the situation is explained in this version, and putting it in the modern times didn't remove the important plot elements. I think if you enjoyed the 1951 version, you should't have many reasons to hate this one. Collapse

1. The original Day the Earth Stood Still had a paranoid poetry that lifted the audience up even as it warned the world to come together. This one is so dour it just comes off as a scolding.
  2. Reviewed by: Luke Y. Thompson
    The problem here is that there are no big ideas.
    Dull, unnecessary film.