4.6

1. Feb 23, 2013
    So I feel that both this version and the 1951 version both have their ups and downs. The 1951 version may look cheap compared to todays standards and the ending left me wanting more, but the acting and believability are extremely high. Fortunately, the 2008 remake retains the believability. The large amount of special effects doesn't make the story of this version less interesting. My eyesSo I feel that both this version and the 1951 version both have their ups and downs. The 1951 version may look cheap compared to todays standards and the ending left me wanting more, but the acting and believability are extremely high. Fortunately, the 2008 remake retains the believability. The large amount of special effects doesn't make the story of this version less interesting. My eyes remained glued to the screen as I deeply was invested in what the characters would do next. A lot more of the science and the technology of the situation is explained in this version, and putting it in the modern times didn't remove the important plot elements. I think if you enjoyed the 1951 version, you should't have many reasons to hate this one. Expand
  2. Jun 18, 2011
    I've rated this film a 10, not because it deserves a 10, but becaue the average of 4.5 is ridiculous. It was always going to struggle. A remake of a well loved movie that doesn't lend itself to the dumb immediate payback of modern action movies - it was screwed from the start. Critised for not being the original movie and for not being modern and full of action, or an exact duplicate, itI've rated this film a 10, not because it deserves a 10, but becaue the average of 4.5 is ridiculous. It was always going to struggle. A remake of a well loved movie that doesn't lend itself to the dumb immediate payback of modern action movies - it was screwed from the start. Critised for not being the original movie and for not being modern and full of action, or an exact duplicate, it never stood a chance. Actually there are a lot of subtleties to the movie, and the new twist on the old twist is brilliantly delivered; for most of the movie I thought they'd forgotten the movie's name, and yet it turns out to be more poignant than in the original.
    Well worth watching if you have half a brain, but I suggest watching the orignal first. The makers of this film did, and it shows.
  3. JoeC
    Jan 1, 2009
    Excellent film. I loved every bit of it.
  4. CatherineF.
    Dec 20, 2008
    My girlfriend and I saw the movie last night (12/19). Everyone was laughing so hard throughout the show, including us, we had tears in our eyes. We both loved the movie and plan on seeing it again -- and we never do that. Jim Carey -- thank you! I needed the laughter and gave it to us in a wonderful new style. Great acting! And the take off used in the seminar was great too. I've My girlfriend and I saw the movie last night (12/19). Everyone was laughing so hard throughout the show, including us, we had tears in our eyes. We both loved the movie and plan on seeing it again -- and we never do that. Jim Carey -- thank you! I needed the laughter and gave it to us in a wonderful new style. Great acting! And the take off used in the seminar was great too. I've attended Tony Robbins for years and others and it was a little over board but not by much when it came to the emotions. Right on! I encourage everyone to see this movie if you want to laugh hard and have a great time. Expand
  5. RH.
    Dec 19, 2008
    If aliens that looked like humans came they probably would be very calm, objective and emotionless. It had great elements such as the way humans, especially us Americans tend to apply Military action to any perceived threat. It was a mirror and we face that mirror and CHANGE.
  6. JustinR.
    Dec 18, 2008
    I thought this was a great movie with an important message. More details on Klaatu's mission would have been nice, but no other complaints.
  7. BenM.
    Dec 17, 2008
    Great film could not look away and what a great remake without introducing to many more plot points and characters.
  8. MWhitby
    Dec 14, 2008
    Breathtaking and thought provoking. 40/100 is too low an average.
  9. KyleW.
    Dec 13, 2008
    I've never seen the first, and I never will. Coming into this fresh, it was exactly what I expected; a true-to-life representation of how it might go down.
  10. BlackPearl
    Dec 13, 2008
    Watched it today and I really enjoyed it. Great performace of Keanu Reeves (Not that I had any doubts..) Some of the lines reminded me of Matrix.. He just has that.. hmm, I dunno what do you call that...? Well, he's just perfect in these kinds of roles and movies ;)
  11. JoseLuisLoya
    Dec 13, 2008
    Excellent movie, incredible special-effects.

1. The original Day the Earth Stood Still had a paranoid poetry that lifted the audience up even as it warned the world to come together. This one is so dour it just comes off as a scolding.
  2. Reviewed by: Luke Y. Thompson
    The problem here is that there are no big ideas.
    Dull, unnecessary film.