4.6

1. CatherineF.
    Dec 20, 2008
    My girlfriend and I saw the movie last night (12/19). Everyone was laughing so hard throughout the show, including us, we had tears in our eyes. We both loved the movie and plan on seeing it again -- and we never do that. Jim Carey -- thank you! I needed the laughter and gave it to us in a wonderful new style. Great acting! And the take off used in the seminar was great too. I've My girlfriend and I saw the movie last night (12/19). Everyone was laughing so hard throughout the show, including us, we had tears in our eyes. We both loved the movie and plan on seeing it again -- and we never do that. Jim Carey -- thank you! I needed the laughter and gave it to us in a wonderful new style. Great acting! And the take off used in the seminar was great too. I've attended Tony Robbins for years and others and it was a little over board but not by much when it came to the emotions. Right on! I encourage everyone to see this movie if you want to laugh hard and have a great time. Expand
  2. WilliamD.
    Dec 20, 2008
    This movie is ONLY rated badly because it dared to take the name of the 1951 gem of the same name. Other than two minor points, that is ALL it has in common with it. IF YOU view the movie WITHOUT reference to the older one, it's actually a pretty good movie.
  3. JoeC
    Jan 1, 2009
    Excellent film. I loved every bit of it.
  4. Jun 18, 2011
    I've rated this film a 10, not because it deserves a 10, but becaue the average of 4.5 is ridiculous. It was always going to struggle. A remake of a well loved movie that doesn't lend itself to the dumb immediate payback of modern action movies - it was screwed from the start. Critised for not being the original movie and for not being modern and full of action, or an exact duplicate, itI've rated this film a 10, not because it deserves a 10, but becaue the average of 4.5 is ridiculous. It was always going to struggle. A remake of a well loved movie that doesn't lend itself to the dumb immediate payback of modern action movies - it was screwed from the start. Critised for not being the original movie and for not being modern and full of action, or an exact duplicate, it never stood a chance. Actually there are a lot of subtleties to the movie, and the new twist on the old twist is brilliantly delivered; for most of the movie I thought they'd forgotten the movie's name, and yet it turns out to be more poignant than in the original.
    Well worth watching if you have half a brain, but I suggest watching the orignal first. The makers of this film did, and it shows.
  5. AndreR
    Jan 11, 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, though it was not perfect.
  6. RichardR.
    Dec 13, 2008
    Interesting premise, fairly well executed. If you love these kind of disaster / end of world movies please don't be put off by the reviews, this movie is worth checking out!
  7. MWhitby
    Dec 14, 2008
    Breathtaking and thought provoking. 40/100 is too low an average.
  8. JustinR.
    Dec 18, 2008
    I thought this was a great movie with an important message. More details on Klaatu's mission would have been nice, but no other complaints.
  9. RH.
    Dec 19, 2008
    If aliens that looked like humans came they probably would be very calm, objective and emotionless. It had great elements such as the way humans, especially us Americans tend to apply Military action to any perceived threat. It was a mirror and we face that mirror and CHANGE.
  10. FredB.
    Dec 26, 2008
    I liked it a lot better than I expected to. It DOES get tiresome to find the U.S. government being the incompetent, aggressive, cabal of thugs in movie after movie, though. Plenty of predictable cliches in this flick but decently executed and filmed.
  11. BitBurn
    Feb 16, 2009
    This movie was not half as bad as I thought it would be. Not the greatest ending either but I was entertained nonetheless. Jennifer and Keanu did the best with the script.
  12. JayH
    Mar 31, 2009
    I enjoyed it and found it very entertaining. I know, it's flawed but I was never once bored. The special effects were good. The performances are respectable, only Jaden Smith fails. Pure Hollywood entertainment.
  13. DarrenB.
    Dec 12, 2008
    Great film, good effects, although the ending was a bit of a let down.
  14. ChrisB.
    Dec 14, 2008
    I thought the movie was actually very worthwhile.
  15. AaronS.
    Dec 15, 2008
    Not nearly as bad as the critics say. It's not hard to follow, and makes for an interesting what if?
  16. JoeD.
    Dec 16, 2008
    I don't really know why this movie is getting such bad reports. I've not seen the original and maybe that's why i like it, but i thought it was a decent movie, it's got a bit of a "green" undertone which might not be to some people's tastes but if you just accept it as a simple popcorn movie and don't expect it to be a "war of the worlds" then you'll enjoy it.
  17. BenM.
    Dec 17, 2008
    Great film could not look away and what a great remake without introducing to many more plot points and characters.
  18. JackN.
    Feb 15, 2009
    To be honest this movie was a little above average. Just because some pompous writers who think their criticism matters above all else, does not make a movie bad. Complaining about how they know what aliens or humankind would do in that situation, what ignorant critics, I laugh at them. Yes, I agree that it may not be as good as the original, but for those who hasn't seen it would To be honest this movie was a little above average. Just because some pompous writers who think their criticism matters above all else, does not make a movie bad. Complaining about how they know what aliens or humankind would do in that situation, what ignorant critics, I laugh at them. Yes, I agree that it may not be as good as the original, but for those who hasn't seen it would probably enjoy this movie. Even though the directors were horrible, it's not that bad of a movie. Critics, stop being so damned overzealous, just because you can write a few fancy words here and there. So people who read these reviews, at least rent the movie and watch it and see how your opinion compares with theirs, because critics' opinions are just that "opinions". Expand
  19. MarcoD.
    Dec 12, 2008
    This movie is no where near as bad as the critics have said. It is a very stylish film that is suspenseful and engaging. I have seen a lot of bad movies lately, this is not one of them. There could be more story / explanation and a little less use of the child... but overall... The Day the Earth Stood Still... ROCKS!
  20. ChristopherG.
    Dec 12, 2008
    overall good story, but the use of the spheres instead of flying saucers and the nanotech locusts lacked the iconic impact that was present in the first version. Keanu Reeves acting was solid, but could have been used more effectively if the writing had been better.
  21. JoseLuisLoya
    Dec 13, 2008
    Excellent movie, incredible special-effects.
  22. BlackPearl
    Dec 13, 2008
    Watched it today and I really enjoyed it. Great performace of Keanu Reeves (Not that I had any doubts..) Some of the lines reminded me of Matrix.. He just has that.. hmm, I dunno what do you call that...? Well, he's just perfect in these kinds of roles and movies ;)
  23. KyleW.
    Dec 13, 2008
    I've never seen the first, and I never will. Coming into this fresh, it was exactly what I expected; a true-to-life representation of how it might go down.
  24. AgustinB.
    Dec 13, 2008
    Not bad as almost everybody is saying and the best keanu ever. He doesn´t have to act in his role, he doesn´t have emotions as an alien!
  25. RB.
    Dec 14, 2008
    Pretty good pop corn movie - better than a lot of the fodder that came out this year - wasn't intended to be Ben Hur.
  26. E.S.
    Dec 14, 2008
    "Starman" meets "War of the Worlds". And not bad, either. The aliens--including Keanu's character-- give off a certain powerful menace that gives the film a sence of foreboding. Tight and too the point.
  27. Feb 23, 2013
    So I feel that both this version and the 1951 version both have their ups and downs. The 1951 version may look cheap compared to todays standards and the ending left me wanting more, but the acting and believability are extremely high. Fortunately, the 2008 remake retains the believability. The large amount of special effects doesn't make the story of this version less interesting. My eyesSo I feel that both this version and the 1951 version both have their ups and downs. The 1951 version may look cheap compared to todays standards and the ending left me wanting more, but the acting and believability are extremely high. Fortunately, the 2008 remake retains the believability. The large amount of special effects doesn't make the story of this version less interesting. My eyes remained glued to the screen as I deeply was invested in what the characters would do next. A lot more of the science and the technology of the situation is explained in this version, and putting it in the modern times didn't remove the important plot elements. I think if you enjoyed the 1951 version, you should't have many reasons to hate this one. Expand
  28. Aug 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really got a say, I'm having slightly mixed feelings about this movie.

Let's start with the bad: a film like this, with the setting it has about human race's time being OVER is always daring. Did I mention justified? It keeps me wondering, how many times exactly are we going to be given the "second" chance to make ourselves better? After all, it is almost a proven fact that we are not going to stop abusing this planet until there's nothing left to abuse.

On the good note, perhaps this IS the movie that is finally going to show how it's going to end for the human beings? (or not...).

The movie is visually stunning. Also liked the music; it was fitting and not disturbing.

I adored the way they showed the size difference of the sphere compared to the humans and buildings around it. Neat tricks, but really impressive! And did I mention the stunning visual/special effects? So, that was a good setting for the movie.

The plot itself, after the beginning, moved on quickly in plunges. That continued to the very end. Keanu Reeves' role and character were sublime and very "cool". Could be thanks to "Matrix", of course, and the image that has left to our brains...

The only minus is maybe the ending, and necessarily not even that, but the way human race was saved again. The emotional level just didn't do it for me. Klaatu's "realization" came so quick and sudden, and almost as if out of thin air with the sobbing of a mother and son, and what have you. Either way, it shows some hope for us still - even though we may not deserve it.
  29. Feb 16, 2014
    The Day the Earth Stood Still is a great movie when it comes to action and science fiction, but the story is a little lengthy and the tempo is slow.

This movie got an exiting beginning, and the movie overall felt thrilling. The story is good, and the events in this film really felt logical for form a "human behavior perspective". Another thing that's good is the story, the actors and the special effects, and it's a very unique movie. The bad thing about The Day the Earth Stood Still is that it's a little boring sometimes, and that they could have done the special effects a little better, but also that the tempo is too slow. Another bad thing is the ending, it felt that it was something missing, but overall is this a okay movie to watch, and combined with a good soundtrack is this a good movie, but not more.

The Day the Earth Stood Still gets a 7/10

1. The original Day the Earth Stood Still had a paranoid poetry that lifted the audience up even as it warned the world to come together. This one is so dour it just comes off as a scolding.
  2. Reviewed by: Luke Y. Thompson
    The problem here is that there are no big ideas.
    Dull, unnecessary film.