- Studio: Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
- Release Date: Dec 12, 2008
- Starring: Jennifer Connelly, Kathy Bates, Keanu Reeves
- Summary: The Day the Earth Stood Still is 20th Century Fox’s contemporary reinvention of its 1951 classic. Klaatu, an alien who arrives on our planet, triggers a global upheaval. As governments and scientists race to unravel the mystery behind the visitor’s appearance, a woman and her young stepson get caught up in his mission – and come to understand the ramifications of Klaatu calling himself a “friend to the Earth.” (20th Century Fox)… Expand
- Director: Scott Derrickson
- Genre(s): Sci-Fi, Drama, Thriller
- More Details and Credits »
Jun 18, 2011I've rated this film a 10, not because it deserves a 10, but becaue the average of 4.5 is ridiculous. It was always going to struggle. A remake of a well loved movie that doesn't lend itself to the dumb immediate payback of modern action movies - it was screwed from the start. Critised for not being the original movie and for not being modern and full of action, or an exact duplicate, it never stood a chance. Actually there are a lot of subtleties to the movie, and the new twist on the old twist is brilliantly delivered; for most of the movie I thought they'd forgotten the movie's name, and yet it turns out to be more poignant than in the original.
Well worth watching if you have half a brain, but I suggest watching the orignal first. The makers of this film did, and it shows.… Expand
AndreRJan 11, 2009I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, though it was not perfect.
RB.Dec 14, 2008Pretty good pop corn movie - better than a lot of the fodder that came out this year - wasn't intended to be Ben Hur.
CarolSDec 20, 2008What starts out with great action turns into a schmaltzy tale for the "green" set. Preachy. Good special effects.
JayM.Aug 26, 2009Exemplifies all that is wrong with Hollywood films: an unnecessary remake, an overwrought script, and a director too enamored with special effects for their own sake. Utterly lacking in every department. Charmless.… Expand
RobertBJun 6, 2009Thank you Keanu Reeves and thank you 20th century fox for ruining a classic.
FantasyDec 13, 2008No one loves science fiction movies more than I do. I saw the original and must have seen it 20 times since then. Michael Rennie was terrific. It was with great anticipation that I was looking forward to the remake. After seeing it this evening there aren't words to describe how awful this turkey was. Keanu Reeves sleepwalks through the film as if he was a zombie. His fellow actors had to be embarrassed by the finished product because this was like Chinese Water torture as it meandered along oh so slow. There was nothing frightening, no suspense, no character development, no nothing. And the ending was so lame that theater goers were actually angry walking out of the movie. Save your hard earned dollars because this is one bad film.… Expand
- By user score