The Dead Zone

8.8

1. Jul 14, 2014
    The Dead Zone is a fun supernatural thriller with Christopher Walken. The movie is thrilling and
    the plot is intriguing and original. The cast also has Martin Sheen who gives an interesting performance
    as a politician running in the local election, A+.
  2. May 12, 2015
    The Dead Zone is a film that does not do much wrong, but does not much particularly great to be seen as such. It features some really good acting from Christopher Walken in the lead role, as well as typically great direction from David Cronenberg. The writing is really good and it is very well paced. However, ultimately, I felt like the story was a little lacking. Though it had all theseThe Dead Zone is a film that does not do much wrong, but does not much particularly great to be seen as such. It features some really good acting from Christopher Walken in the lead role, as well as typically great direction from David Cronenberg. The writing is really good and it is very well paced. However, ultimately, I felt like the story was a little lacking. Though it had all these good pieces and the idea was really, really good, it came together more like a by-the-numbers television series. Walken's character was essentially put in many different positions throughout the film and I think it would have been well-served if it chose one of these, rather than a bunch of them. The film tried to do much and made itself feel as though it were multiple different films, rather than one single film. In addition, I never found it scary. This isn't a negative, since I just expected a supernatural thriller, but I've seen it listed as a great horror film and I think I must have missed that aspect of it, as I found none of it that scary at all. Certainly, is unsettling, but never once was it scary. Overall, The Dead Zone is a pretty good film with good parts that could be even better if it was a more focused picture. Expand
  3. Aug 24, 2015
    Part police procedural, part political thriller, part supernatural horror - "The Dead Zone" is a phenomenal mixed bag wrapped in fantastic intrigue and sure-handed direction from David Cronenberg.

By no means a bad film, just a disappointingly bland and superficial one.
    The Dead Zone does what only a good supernatural thriller can do: It makes us forget it is supernatural.
  3. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    It has some of that episodic ‘compressed miniseries’ feel which a lot of King pictures get stuck with (the book was later redone as a TV serial with Anthony Michael Hall) but still manages a lot of powerful material.