6.2

1. Aug 11, 2014
    Just enough bang for your buck in this thriller.
    Intense and unnerving, kept me on the edge of my seat. Me being a huge technology buff, this was right up my alley.
    Just enough bang for your buck in this thriller.

Usually I'm not one to enjoy a movie set basically in the same setting, All The Time, 'man on a ledge', 'open water'... etc. However, this tech scene, computer wise with webcams and camera phones, camera's... etc... was spectacular.

It gave me just enough jumps and moments where I felt the need to turn away or cringe and cower into myself on the couch, yet couldn't take my eyes off my laptop. It is a MUST to watch on your computer, alone, in the dark, headphones locked in tight.

Definitely more of a thriller than a horror movie.
  2. May 30, 2014
    The Den was an amazing experience, it's a film full of intensity and effective jump scares, one of the best found-footage films of the year, one of the best films of the year, very, very underrated, i just love this film and all the issues realted with the "Deep Web".
  3. Aug 9, 2014
    OMG those are my first words about this movie. I will first say I'm a Horror movie buff and I have seen more horror films then I can count and it is my favorite genre of films so with that said I will begin. I had first seen a trailer and heard about this movie a few months prior to it's release and I couldn't wait to watch it just based on the premise. I love found footage movies.

I

I will say that I didn't know any of the actors nor was I worried bc that doesn't always make a great horror film as this shows. The actors did a terrific job especially the main girl Elizabeth. I will say that for a short film it was Uber intense and very much kept you on the edge of your seat. The violence was gritty and in your face and the questions it raises are very valid especially from a technology standpoint. I for one don't scare easy at all and the jump scares were the best I have seen in a while and even knowing they were coming and it still got me was Impressive.

I would recommend this movie to any and all that love horror and appreciate what this film does in the time span it is allotted. I would also note that the movie does raise one or two questions but nothing that would kill the movie buzz once the credits start rolling. I for one hope this director keeps up with his career bc as I said I love this movie and it is def going in the books for direction as well as great scares and overall atmosphere.
  4. Dec 23, 2014
    I guess since all my life I've been surrounded by stuff like Youtube, Facebook, and Omegle that this really scared the **** outta me. It's intense, suspenseful, scary, gory, everything you could want from a horror flick. I highly recommend this.
  5. Jun 27, 2015
    Summary: The Den is an underrated horror flick about the dark side of the internet. It's creepy, violent, and tense. 80/100 [B+]

The Den is a 2013 found-footage film directed by Zachary Donohue. There are now a lot of found-footage films, most of them are trashy. The Den is that rare, little and non famous found-footage film that surprisingly works. I saw this film at night with the lights turned on. My sister was using her laptop beside me and she said to me "Why are you jumping so much?" I replied to her "I'm watching a horror film called The Den and is scary as hell". This film is definitely one of the best found-footage films of the year, and one of the scariest ones ever to me. Horror is my favorite genre, but horror films don't scare me at all, I just like the genre. The Den scared me so much, I couldn't sleep that night. This movie was a real frightening experience. This is my kind of film. It was very impressive, quite scary and unforgettable.

Elizabeth Benton (Melanie Papalia) logs onto a video-chat site known as the Den, on a mission to explore the habits of its users. During one of her random video-chats, Elizabeth watches in horror as a teenage girl is gruesomely murdered in front of her webcam. While the police dismiss it as a viral prank, Elizabeth believes what she saw is real and takes it upon herself to find the truth. Well that's basically the plot of the movie. I literally couldn't sleep that night. That's when you realize that you just watched an effective horror film, one of those scary movies that keep you awake at night. This film is scary because all of the situations that these characters experienced could be actually real. The Den is also extremely violent and messes with you. I jumped, I was engaged with the protagonist and I was entertained.

Its execution was impressive, it has flow and I was never bored. It's a very entertaining film. It could be a little bit silly and mediocre for some people and I totally understand that, if you didn't enjoy this film as much as I did, it's fine. The horror genre needs more films like The Den. Also, I think that this movie was inspired on a true story about the mysterious "deep-web". To me, this was a very different and original horror flick. Compared to all these trashy found-footage films such as: Mr. Jones and Alien Abduction, The Den is a remarkable one. The characters were pretty likable and you care about them. The performances were excellent, Melanie Papalia did a great job with her performance. The direction was stunning, vibrant, energetic and so twisted. Zachary Donohue has to make more horror films.

There were a lot of disturbing and unforgettable scenes. I liked the opening scene it was funny and effective, the first act was creepy as hell and has some suspense. The second act is more violent and filled with lots of effective jump-scares. The third act is an explosion, lots of action and violence. It kinda reminded me to movies like Saw and Hostel, it was quite similar. Watch this film in your computer, it will be a full experience. It will blow your brains out. The Den explains some things about a very important issue like the mysterious "deep web". Just one tip for you before seeing the movie, search on Google "Deep Web", read some articles about it, and then... watch this film. Don't watch any of the clips or trailers, just go see it. [B+]

1. Reviewed by: Martin Tsai
    Mar 20, 2014
    Like many found-footage films before it, The Den never entirely suspends disbelief. It doesn't satisfyingly account for how the characters are producing all the footage.
  2. Reviewed by: Frank Scheck
    Mar 17, 2014
    This is the rare film that would actually seem even creepier watched from home on your computer, preferably alone to enhance its voyeuristic effect.
  3. Reviewed by: Susan Wloszczyna
    Mar 14, 2014
    At least it's admirable that Donohue manages to do almost all his shooting with either web cams, phone cams or surveillance cameras. But that does not translate into an entirely enjoyable viewing experience. Plus, there are almost no real shocks or scares to rattle you out of the stupor that inevitably develops from observing someone else fiddle with their laptop for much of the running time.