The Departed

7.6

1. DanC.
    Oct 27, 2006
    A fearless film that offers the audience no easy answers but enthrals nonetheless. Dicaprio is brilliant - one of the best actors of his generation, as he proves here (and I haven't liked him nearly as much in recent work).
  2. JoeC.
    Oct 28, 2006
    Excellent experience and awesome Jack. Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin are scene stealers. The movie isn't quite up to Goodfellas standards but very few movies are. A movie I world pay to see again.
  3. Silvra
    Nov 25, 2007
    Scorsese does it again; proving to us not for the first time that he truly is the king of crime drama. DiCaprio brings life to the role of Billy, and Nicholson is certainly in his prime during the shooting of this movie, and ultimately makes the movie such the success I believe it is (or should be). The cast all together makes this film an artistic (extremely violent and crude) Scorsese does it again; proving to us not for the first time that he truly is the king of crime drama. DiCaprio brings life to the role of Billy, and Nicholson is certainly in his prime during the shooting of this movie, and ultimately makes the movie such the success I believe it is (or should be). The cast all together makes this film an artistic (extremely violent and crude) masterpiece. But truly, would you have the film any other way? Swearing and violence and murder and vulgarity give the movie a gritty charm that draws viewers to it whenever it's on the television screen. The script was wonderfully written, and Scorsese executed it marvelously on the screen. While I doubt anyone was expecting the ending, (I know I sat through the rest of the movie in half-shock, after the main character's untimely death) it too adds to the movie's charm. These people do not value human life, they are out to win, they are out to be the best, and they are going to kill any man who attempts to hand them otherwise. Scorsese captures this rat-eat-rat world perfectly, and I wouldn't have anyone but him directing this urban nightmare onto my screen. --Yours Truly, Silvra. Expand
  4. SnakeP.
    Jan 14, 2007
    An absolute masterpiece!!! Light yeas better than the HK version. Some refuse to admit or accept its triumph and grandeur cos they're simply too anti-hollywood. Departed excels greatly in characterization and narrative. The original Infernal Affairs is purely plot with practically no meat to the characters. Look at it this way, anyone who keeps whinning that 'Leo is no An absolute masterpiece!!! Light yeas better than the HK version. Some refuse to admit or accept its triumph and grandeur cos they're simply too anti-hollywood. Departed excels greatly in characterization and narrative. The original Infernal Affairs is purely plot with practically no meat to the characters. Look at it this way, anyone who keeps whinning that 'Leo is no Tony' or 'Matt is no Andy', doesn't get jack about the fact that they're not supposed to even emulate them. Both Leo and Matt carry their roles well beyond the two-dimensional arcs of Tony Leung and Andy Lau. It's only in Infernal Affairs 2 and 3 do viewers actually get some inside into their characters. Hence the unjust comparison. People inadverdantly compare all three Infernal Affairs movies with Departed which is literally unfair! I.A. was never even meant to be a trilogy to begin with, only until after the first one was so successful. So to be true and proper, Departed should only be put head to head with Infernal Affairs Part1. And in that respect, Departed wins hands down. Some say Departed's getting some extra acclaim only because critics want Scorsese to get the oscar but I don't think this is true. Departed is much better than his previous attempts like Aviator and Gangs of New York. This is definitely Scorsese's time to shine and we should let the great man garner his long-overdue Oscar! Expand
  5. becky
    Dec 26, 2007
    what the heck was in the brown envolpe!!!
  6. KentErickson
    Jan 23, 2007
    Wow Rayman so the Chinese made a movie and Scorcesse took the idea and made a movie of it, big deal get a life buddy. I want to see all the IA movies but havent had time, but when I do see them I'm not going to be thinking the whole time "Gee how is this like the Departed, in this acting sequence of this part of the movie at the 44:56 point of the movie it is different" like you wereWow Rayman so the Chinese made a movie and Scorcesse took the idea and made a movie of it, big deal get a life buddy. I want to see all the IA movies but havent had time, but when I do see them I'm not going to be thinking the whole time "Gee how is this like the Departed, in this acting sequence of this part of the movie at the 44:56 point of the movie it is different" like you were probably doing during the Departed. Scorsese made a good film that was fun to watch and great performances made it great, behind Letters From Iwo Jima this is the best picture of the year, but Martin will lose out again, Clint will win best director, and rightfully so. Expand
  7. Favre4Life
    Feb 14, 2007
    Y'all are CRAZY that voted this movie lower than an 8. WHATCH IT AGAIN- you obviously missed a whole lot- great acting-great story-love the ending.
  8. Sambistagirl
    Feb 15, 2007
    This was a great movie. It was so exciting and I loved how the tension built till the end. I will not be unhappy if it wins the oscar for best picture. If you haven't seen it and you don't mind a "24" like body count, you must see this picture.
  9. HC.
    Feb 17, 2007
    Not Scorsese's best, but it's still a very good movie. There were various plot holes and head-scratching throughout, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The direction is wonderful and the performances of supporting actors were outstanding. I absolutely loved Mark Walberg and Alex Baldwin. Leonardo of course turned in a great performance as well, though for some reason I've Not Scorsese's best, but it's still a very good movie. There were various plot holes and head-scratching throughout, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The direction is wonderful and the performances of supporting actors were outstanding. I absolutely loved Mark Walberg and Alex Baldwin. Leonardo of course turned in a great performance as well, though for some reason I've seen Matt Damon's character before--maybe he's just playing way too many of these similar roles? The ending seemed a little cheap but I still really liked the movie even with all these flaws--which says a lot, I think, about the talent involved in this movie. Expand
  10. AndersJansson
    Feb 27, 2007
    This movie is well directed, excellently performed by the actors and exciting. So far so good. And it is good, actually very good. The problem is that it lacks originality. It could be any crime movie, exept for the actors. The other thing is the ending. It's extremely ridicuous and ruins the film a bit.
  11. CharltonP.
    Feb 28, 2007
    It's about time. I thought I'd have to give up watching movies altogether. Only a fool could dislike this movie.
  12. Anna
    Mar 11, 2007
    Scorses reminds us why we go to the movies with this film. That it's not special effects and big bangs, it's great characters, with the cast to handle them, and a compelling story.
  13. IrateMovies
    Mar 12, 2007
    I saw this movie opening day and I bet my friend $20 that it would at least be nominated for best picture of the year. I am now $20 dollars richer and a happy owner of this terrific movie.
  14. DanA.
    Mar 26, 2007
    The Departed is set in Boston where the streets are full of crime and owned by major gangland boss Frank Costello, plyed by a wonderfully evil Jack Nicholson. The state police force want his gone for good and send in young undercover
    cop Billy Costigan (Leonardo Dicaprio) to inflitrate Costello and his gang. On the other side is Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) now a growing and well respected cop, Sullivan works for Costello and is feeding him information from inside the police force. Both Billy and Colin must lead double lifes and stay one ahead of each other so they can expose the other and save their own skin, the race is on to find the mole in Internal Affairs and Costello's gang. Martin Scorsese's The Departed is a amazing mobster thiller, on the same level as 1990's Goodfellas. The film centers around Boston's mobsters and cops. The all-star cast turns in stunning prefromances, This is Scorsese's best film since 1995's Casino. The film has it fair share of twist and turns, Martin Scorsese adds to the film with his directing, the characters are strangly and outrageusly wonderful. The Departed is a film in which, you love everything, the dialogue, violince, humor, perfromances and twists.Overall, The Departed is exciting, violent, bloody, funny, clever and thrilling. Simply amazing. Martin Scorsese should definitely win Best Director for this, without a doubt The film also has one of the best ensemble cast, which includes such talent as, Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Alec Baldwin, Ray Winstone, and Martin Sheen. Highly recomended. This is 2006's best film.
  15. PatC.
    Mar 28, 2007
    I watched this only because it got the Best Picture Oscar. I found it difficult to absorb in the first viewing. It is a rehash of the action and themes of Gangs of New York. However, this time Scorsese got it right. It is always focused and intelligent. Though the film is slightly long, the editing is a thing of beauty, almost too tight as it pounds out the plot while allowing little time I watched this only because it got the Best Picture Oscar. I found it difficult to absorb in the first viewing. It is a rehash of the action and themes of Gangs of New York. However, this time Scorsese got it right. It is always focused and intelligent. Though the film is slightly long, the editing is a thing of beauty, almost too tight as it pounds out the plot while allowing little time to sort out its implications. The exacting direction of the gaggle of prominent actors without tolerating their individual personality dispositions can only be described as exemplary. I do not think this film got the Oscar in deference to Scorsese's previous work, which is substantial and admirable. This is an exceptional film in its own right, is as broadly appealling and profound as a Shakespearean work, and should grow in stature and recognition over the years. By the time one has digested this movie, one may realize that the police captain's directive to "smash or marginally disrupt crime" is not so much a quip as two ways to describe the single process described by the story. As one who has been continually frustrated when Scorsese barely missed the mark, I say again This time he got it Right. Expand
  16. KevinX.
    Apr 13, 2007
    Scorsese makes it his own, from the vivid pop soundtrack to the seething paranoia and spasms of brutal violence. The cast is uniformly excellent, with Ray Winstone a standout as Mr. French, Costello's red right hand.
  17. MonitordeSalsaBitche
    Apr 13, 2007
    Everything is Oscar worthy, from the cinematography, to editing, to the screenplay, acting, score, everything. The film is so well crafted that at almost 3 hours long, it doesn't seem to matter, and you even expect more. I never had so much fun and disgust with a crime movie in years. Definitely the best movie of the year so far.
  18. TaureanR.
    Apr 13, 2007
    Engrossing and intense gangster film set in present-day Boston with a strong plot, lots of interesting dialogue, and excellent acting. DiCaprio and Nicholson are standouts in a cast that seems to include half the A list Hollywood stars. This is the best movie I have seen this year. Scorcese scores again. Minor nits: some of the romantic dialogue between Matt Damon's character and his Engrossing and intense gangster film set in present-day Boston with a strong plot, lots of interesting dialogue, and excellent acting. DiCaprio and Nicholson are standouts in a cast that seems to include half the A list Hollywood stars. This is the best movie I have seen this year. Scorcese scores again. Minor nits: some of the romantic dialogue between Matt Damon's character and his love interest came off as forced and unconvincing, and occasionally Jack Nicholson's acting bordered on ham. Expand
  19. WillI.am
    Apr 13, 2007
    Martin Scorsese's very fine remake of the HK film 'Infernal Affairs' Crackling screenplay from William Monahan and superb acting from all involved. Top notch piece of entertainment that's a highlight of 2006 films.
  20. JonZ.
    Apr 14, 2007
    Why was it voted best picture? This is one of the most briliant and unique films ever made. Martin Scorsese truly scores on his this movie about a corrupt cop and a snitch working against each other to figure out who they are contending. Bravo.
  21. IainF
    Jan 15, 2009
    Why isn't Wahlberg mentioned at all? His performance was the best of his career, and one of my favourite characters, after Nicholson's of course, but no one out does the master. Scorsese encorporates various tricks and devices evident in his other films, and all of this on top of a sharp, witty script and believable acting from all the cast (except Baldwin... Urgh), this film is Why isn't Wahlberg mentioned at all? His performance was the best of his career, and one of my favourite characters, after Nicholson's of course, but no one out does the master. Scorsese encorporates various tricks and devices evident in his other films, and all of this on top of a sharp, witty script and believable acting from all the cast (except Baldwin... Urgh), this film is a must see. Goodfella's it most certainly is not, but it comes close, and that's near impossible. Expand
  22. KyleB
    Aug 15, 2009
    Amazing movie. The actors they got for this movie were all terrific. The directing and writing in this movie was fantastic and the overall plot was awesome. BRAVO!
  23. JuliaA.
    Nov 11, 2006
    The first thing that I liked about this movie would be the characters intertwine...smooth,and makes you go 'he's-the-prime-suspect-you-dummy-can't-you-figure-it-at-once?' and the willingness of Mr.Scorcese to kill all of the characters,both the protagonists,antagonist,and extras, in a snap of time and such gory way...tip my hat for that. plus this is another prove from The first thing that I liked about this movie would be the characters intertwine...smooth,and makes you go 'he's-the-prime-suspect-you-dummy-can't-you-figure-it-at-once?' and the willingness of Mr.Scorcese to kill all of the characters,both the protagonists,antagonist,and extras, in a snap of time and such gory way...tip my hat for that. plus this is another prove from Mr.DiCaprio that he's an actor (after Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator), not just a cuteface that wrapped him at the heydays of Titanic or Romeo And Juliet (I disliked him back then). Expand
  24. SandroD.
    Nov 12, 2006
    The movie it´s awsome!!who likes "the godfellas" have to adore this movie.
  25. NishanthE
    Nov 23, 2006
    Best movie in 2006 by a long way. Watched it thrice on big screen and still waitin to see it again. Keeps you riveted. Amazing cast. Scorsese has churned out yet another Oscar contender. Brilliant stuff!
  26. KipM.
    Dec 19, 2006
    As a relative virgin to the greatness of Scorsese, how great was it to know he's more than lived up to his legendary status. For years, everyone's talked about the travesty that Scorsese still has no Oscar, but unlike "The Aviator" or "Gangs of New York," Marty's definitely the front-runner this year, especially since Clint Eastwood won just two short years ago. But As a relative virgin to the greatness of Scorsese, how great was it to know he's more than lived up to his legendary status. For years, everyone's talked about the travesty that Scorsese still has no Oscar, but unlike "The Aviator" or "Gangs of New York," Marty's definitely the front-runner this year, especially since Clint Eastwood won just two short years ago. But that's not all: "The Departed" is chock full of terrific acting, more so than is usually required from a crime picture. Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson in particular give some of their greatest on-screen work. And DiCaprio, with the most difficult role keeps his demons under control until just the right moments to reveal a multi-layered performance. All 3 should be considered serious contenders this Oscar season. Oh, and Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin are also great. Sure, the film's bleak, but boy is it powerful. Expand
  27. Sep 26, 2010
    Martin Scorsese did a masterful job on this movie. The way that he first of all got such great talent together on film was amazing. The actual story line is quite entertaining and keeps you wondering whats going to happen next. Overall, it's one of the best movies to come out that year.
  28. Dec 28, 2010
    This is a great crime thriller.Scorcese directs this film with flawless ease. Everyone of the actors: Dicaprio, Damon, Wahlberg, Nicholson, Farmiga, Baldwin, and the rest of the cast are absolutely phenomenal. the only complaint i have of it is that it has a slow start. everything else: golden
  29. Sep 12, 2010
    This movie had me on the edge of my seat literally the whole time i watched it. Great story, great cast, and great action. The thing i like best about this movie is how they kept it pretty life like. No one took twelve bullets to the chest and kept on walking around.
  30. Jun 23, 2012
    The Departed is a masterpiece: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson are wonderful together. And I'm Shipping Up To Boston is a wonderful song for a soundtrack.
  31. Nov 2, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Solid performances from all actors but once again DiCaprio especially impresses me. He's undercover, struggling with unimaginable anxiety and paranoia which he barely manages to keep a lid on through abuse of anxiolytics and he delivers us a solid and believable character.
    Mark Wahlberg's outrageous swearing and in-your-face attitude reminds us there are few, if any, true heroes out there. Faced with the reality of sociopathic criminals and blood-ridden crime scenes even the good guys get gritty. And on the topic of sociopathy, Jack Nicholson unflinchingly becomes the personification of depravity. For me, the graphic violence and bad language is justified: these are men pushed to their limits. And the death of the characters (especially the unexpected death of DiCaprio's character) is shocking and therefore the violence of their deaths should also be shocking.
  32. Jan 15, 2011
    the movie was quite good, although it could be even better considering the cast of actors, and the great Martin Scorsese as director. i don't know if you can call it a classic, because it's forgettable in my opinion. i really was hoping to be an entertaining ride full of thrills, but i just got the entertainment. some parts may be unrealistic, but, however it is a good film. 8 - ...
  33. Nov 25, 2010
    the best movie of 06 no doubt, with all the stars and egos involved, there was always the risk it may not quite work but it was well done and made for an awesome, action drama, well done scorcese :)
  34. Aug 13, 2011
    Never before has a movie left me gasping in amazement. It's the movie equivalent of that rare sort of novel where you find yourself checking to see how many pages are left and hoping there are more, not fewer.
  35. Mar 13, 2013
    Although I was initially disappointed by The Departed, time has seen me come around. My grievance of the film was the fact that it lacked depth. It felt too slight and flimsy to make a serious dent. That said, I now love The Departed for that exact reason. It's colorful, light and a lot of fun. Especially Mark Wahlberg.
  36. Jan 5, 2011
    A brilliant movie with brilliant performances.. Excellent execution, Excellent Casting.. Its the best movie released in 2006.... No Doubt. Too good.... We cant even judge the performances..
  37. Mar 7, 2011
    A twisting, brutal knife to any other gangland story; rightly crowned as Scorsese's modern masterpiece. Di Caprio fights through the underbelly as mole Costigan while Damon schmoozes through the upper echelons of the Police force, unaware of his ties with mobster Costello. The culmination of events, as both sides learn and hunt the rival moles in each others factions is gripping rightA twisting, brutal knife to any other gangland story; rightly crowned as Scorsese's modern masterpiece. Di Caprio fights through the underbelly as mole Costigan while Damon schmoozes through the upper echelons of the Police force, unaware of his ties with mobster Costello. The culmination of events, as both sides learn and hunt the rival moles in each others factions is gripping right until the bloody finale and epilogue. Expand
  38. May 29, 2011
    While I watched The Departed, I grew to like it more and more with every growing second. It was either the vigorous cast of DiCaprio, Damon, Nicholsan, and Whalburg, or the interesting "rat" storyline, or just the fact that people were just dropping dead for, actually, good reasons. The light humor was also very entertaining, as was the non-stop action. But I can truly tell you, this filmWhile I watched The Departed, I grew to like it more and more with every growing second. It was either the vigorous cast of DiCaprio, Damon, Nicholsan, and Whalburg, or the interesting "rat" storyline, or just the fact that people were just dropping dead for, actually, good reasons. The light humor was also very entertaining, as was the non-stop action. But I can truly tell you, this film is a must watch. The Departed takes place in the city of Boston. It follows to pure rivals; an Irish gang and the state police. During the coarse of the film, both the police and the gang have a "rat", or a mole, each coming from the other rival. It shows the police rat's side, (DiCaprio), to be the good guy. But then it also shows the gang rat's side (Dammon), to be the bad one, obviously. So the film just becomes a race to see who each other's rat is, and to get the Irish gang obilorated once and for all. You just have to see the rest to see what happens.
    The acting in this film just blew your mind, right from the very moment that you saw the freakin amazing casting of Damon, DiCaprio, and Nicholsan, you knew you were getting yourself into an action packed movie. I would personally say that DiCaprio and Nicholsan were tied as the best actors in the film, for there was just so much intensity coming from the two. It was as if they had perfect chemistry, but they were scared s**tless about each other. I wouldn't have been surprised if Nicholsan won Best Supporting Actor at the Academy Awards, for this is the type of guy the Academy likes. Really, who doesnt like Nicholsan? And who doesnt like Scorsese? I can tell you that I freakin love him, and adore him for his work. It's extremely wrong that his previous films never won for Best Picture, but truly, if there had to be one film that would've won, it would've been this one. He gives a clear message at the end of the film, if you want a happy ending, sad things have GOT to happen. And that's what makes him the best director of 2006, and this the best film of 2006.
  39. Jun 2, 2011
    Brilliant. An all star cast. Brutal realism. One of the most developed screenplays I've ever seen. This film amazes me and lends itself to mandatory repeated viewings. So much is going on here, but it is all the better for it.
  40. Jul 9, 2011
    One of the best movies of the decade. Leonardo di caprio is as good as hell. Jack and matt are awesome as always. Very strong plot and acting is to the point. Way better than the orignal
  41. Jun 28, 2011
    This movie is without overstating or lying my favorite movie and in my opinion, the best movie I have ever seen. A lot of people will complain because it is not as good as the Hong Kong version, but look at the differences in the respect and success each have been given. The Departed was a great movie. Internal Affairs may have been a good movie but it could not match the passion orThis movie is without overstating or lying my favorite movie and in my opinion, the best movie I have ever seen. A lot of people will complain because it is not as good as the Hong Kong version, but look at the differences in the respect and success each have been given. The Departed was a great movie. Internal Affairs may have been a good movie but it could not match the passion or brilliance of this movie. Expand
  42. Jul 6, 2011
    Being a bit skeptical going into this movie knowing that it is going to be a bloodbath and use f*** as a space-marker, the story telling, acting, and overall plot totally diverts your attention away from the gruesomeness. DiCaprio's performance deserved and Oscar as well as Scorsese's direction. Brilliant movie.
  43. j30
    Feb 13, 2012
    A first rate, white knuckle thrill ride from the great Martin Scorsese. Not only does The Departed build off the excellent original (Infernal Affairs) but it has a tour de force of acting performances from Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg, and Jack Nicholson. Scorsese is at his best, there is not a dull moment in it's 151 minute run time.
  44. Aug 31, 2011
    i've never seen a more gritty and dramatic insight into mob families. will brilliant performances from the entire cast. this is a brilliant action packed movie. brilliantly directed by scorcese, this is one of my favourites.
  45. Sep 6, 2011
    What can I say? Martin is a genius. Perfectly casted, directed, written. Why are some people giving it 1/10? It's almost an insult to give it a low score like that. The movie is brilliant
  46. Sep 18, 2011
    This Oscar-winner was a great disappointment. Implausible plot (the Matt Damon character recruited by gangsters specifically to be a mole in the police? has that ever happened? Thought not). Jack Nicholson playing the same hammy old character he's been playing for the last 20 years. Casting Ray Wimstone as an American gangster? How crazy is that? Nicholson's moll is there just to massageThis Oscar-winner was a great disappointment. Implausible plot (the Matt Damon character recruited by gangsters specifically to be a mole in the police? has that ever happened? Thought not). Jack Nicholson playing the same hammy old character he's been playing for the last 20 years. Casting Ray Wimstone as an American gangster? How crazy is that? Nicholson's moll is there just to massage Nicholson's ego (and other places). The police shrink slows the plot down whenever she's on - she's only there to "prove" that Scorsese hasn't got a problem with women. The multiple shootings at the end were absurd, and as a viewer I didn't care about a single one of the deaths. And that porn theatre? Worst anachronism ever. Proof, if proof were needed, that the more "stars" a film has the worse it is. Expand
  47. Feb 2, 2013
    "I don't want to be product of my environment..I want my environment to be a product of me". Not only were these the first words uttered in this fantastic piece of cinema, but they are words that Martin Scorsese has lived and filmed by for his illustrious career.
    The Departed is another gold star on an almost flawless report for the director. He utilises superb story-telling, wonderfully diverse characters with exploding personalities and enough profanity to curl the greasiest of hairs, its not just the dark side of crime, its also the darkest side of the law.
    A remake of Hong Kong film 'Internal Affairs', we see mob supremo Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson) luring young Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) to a life of crime to the end of him graduating from police academy and infiltrating the Massachusetts State Police, but Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) is playing the same game, being asked by Captain Queenan (Martin Sheen) and Sergeant Dignam (Mark Whalberg) of the SIU unit within the police, to infiltrate Costellos gang due to his families ties wthin the mob.
    What follows is a truly dangerous game, asking the audience just how much you can handle while under this much pressure.
    Every star in this 149 minute show puts in an Oscar worthy performance, whether it me Whalbergs fantastically profanity-laced speeches, Alec Baldwin fast-paced speaking, Sheen's cold-hearted stance against the criminals he hunts ('Any of you mugs got a light") or whether it is the almost psychotic Nicholson who improvised a complete scene in this movie, but its perhaps the two centred performers who steal the show, Damon is and easy going within the police force, while Dicaprio is fearing for his life every single day he infiltrates.
    Scorsese does an excellent job telling an almost even side to each story, but it is ultimately down to the fast paced story and cat and mouse near-misses that set this film up as one of the greatest of the decade, the performances in particular set it apart from other dramas of the same genre.
    One Scorsese picture that cannot be forgotten
  48. Dec 30, 2011
    The best film I've ever seen. This picture has it all: good, exciting story, great actors, action, humor, love and good music. Dicaprio did a BRILLIANT job, top actor, if he isn't the best. I know, some might think I'm exaggerating, but I'm sure that I'm not. Enjoy this piece of art, you won't regret it.
  49. Apr 5, 2012
    It is not perfect -very few movies are- but it is fantastic! Many things about this movie have been said already...I am a girl...apparently this is not the type of movie that girls adore, but I do...and I have it in my collection! :) I can watch it over and over and over again....well, perhaps not more than twice a year!
  50. Aug 27, 2014
    Fundamental Martin Scorsese. The film is tremendously well-written and casted. There should no comparisons to Goodfellas or The Godfather; The Departed is a new addition to the group. A worthy addition, at that.
  51. Mar 19, 2012
    people like to say that this only one the Oscar because Scorsese has been snubbed so many times when he should have deserved it. while that is true he should have won the Oscar for taxi driver, raging bull and goodfellas (or at the very least one of the three), this in no way effects the fact that this was the best movie of the year and truly shows Scorsese understanding modern filmpeople like to say that this only one the Oscar because Scorsese has been snubbed so many times when he should have deserved it. while that is true he should have won the Oscar for taxi driver, raging bull and goodfellas (or at the very least one of the three), this in no way effects the fact that this was the best movie of the year and truly shows Scorsese understanding modern film making. this was almost the perfect movie if not for annoying unnecessary love interest (not unlike in gangs of new York). But while i don't approve of the addition of the love interest i appreciate that Scorsese did not spend to much time with it. this is by far one of the best movies of the 00's and gets judged to harshly because it was by no means Scorsese's best film but was the one that got him the Oscar so people think that it didn't deserve it. the truth is of the his four best this is the least deserving of the three but in no way undeserving. Expand
  52. Apr 1, 2012
    This is a 10 out of 10 movie. A great mobster movie showing the American dream. Acting is pretty good. Story is really good, and so is the score. Overall, this is a really, really great movie. You really should watch this movie.
  53. Jun 10, 2012
    Brilliant. Absolutely amazing. An intense, thrilling plot with GREAT acting. It had twists that I didn't see coming and had been on the edge of my seat. A truly great film.
  54. Apr 14, 2013
    The Departed is phenomenal to say the least. And I don't throw that word around lightly either. The story is great and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Scorsese is at his absolute finest with this film. DiCaprio gives a stellar performance as rookie "cop" Billy Costigan. Jack Nicholson was the perfect casting for Frank Costello and Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg are a great duo. Not toThe Departed is phenomenal to say the least. And I don't throw that word around lightly either. The story is great and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Scorsese is at his absolute finest with this film. DiCaprio gives a stellar performance as rookie "cop" Billy Costigan. Jack Nicholson was the perfect casting for Frank Costello and Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg are a great duo. Not to forget Matt Damon who is excellent as always. Writing: great. Casting: great. Dialogue: great. Acting: great. Cinematography: great. If you want to watch an all around solid film that will keep you guessing and waiting, this is the film to watch. Expand
  55. Jul 8, 2012
    This is a great movie for anyone who likes a good entertaining movie. The way the story lines fit together was great, and the ending was amazing, I would suggest this to anyone who likes a good action movie.
  56. Jan 22, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece from director Martin Scorsese. Probably one of the most tense, edge-of-your seat thrillers ever made. The performances from Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, and Matt Damon really add a lot to the suspense, too.
  57. Oct 14, 2013
    This is a criminal drama with a very strong storyline (which do not have many twists, every episode logically flows into the next one), good number of bright characters played by outstanding actors. I'd say the movie does not have a lot of action in it, but you feel that psychological tension and wait for something cruel to happen around the next corner.
  58. Sep 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'The Departed' is another Scorsese masterpiece. The film's clever and full of twists. The acting is top-notch from everyone, the cast is also brilliant. The story is engaging and entertaining, I didn't even get bored, considering the runtime.
    My only issue is the runtime of the film, I mean I was engaged througout and it was great but it's not a film that can be watched whenever you want. Still overall I couldn't recommend 'The Departed' enough, it's just brilliant.
  59. Oct 15, 2012
    The Departed heralds Martin Scorsese's return to the top of his game and simultaneously secures for the film a place in the pantheon of the very best of American crime cinema. Welcome back to Scorsese's mean streets.
  60. Nov 7, 2012
    Scorsese's The Departed is a new American crime classic. Every aspect of the film flows together so easily from the first frame to when the credits roll, making it compulsively watchable.
  61. Jan 7, 2014
    Como um amigo havia dito, OS INFILTRADOS uma aula de cinema em todos os sentidos.
  62. Jan 16, 2014
    Who better to helm a two-and-a-half-hour long dramatic irony marathon than one of cinema's greatest seminal filmmakers? Scorsese's Best-Picture-Winning "The Departed" surely deserves all of the hype it has received over the years, as it's an almost infinite spiral of intrigue, tension, aesthetic merit, and wondrously playful dialogue.
  63. Jul 11, 2013
    Riveting suspense and brilliant storytelling describe this masterpiece. I watched this movie only for Leonardo DiCaprio but felt like Damon, Nicholson and Wahlberg acted on the same level if not better. The music was captivating. The psychiatrist subplot felt a bit contrived but it shed so much light on Costigan's character that I didn't really care. I would accept it as coincidence if theRiveting suspense and brilliant storytelling describe this masterpiece. I watched this movie only for Leonardo DiCaprio but felt like Damon, Nicholson and Wahlberg acted on the same level if not better. The music was captivating. The psychiatrist subplot felt a bit contrived but it shed so much light on Costigan's character that I didn't really care. I would accept it as coincidence if the result is this brilliant. Expand
  64. Mar 9, 2013
    Though I hate to admit its not Scorsese's greatest work, The Departed is thrilling and shocking at many levels, leaving in hints of humor and just flat out what the hell is gonna happen next.
  65. Feb 14, 2013
    Scorsese made again a masterpiece that blow you're mind. Everything on this movie is smart, the story, the cast, and the characters. Good story and an unexpected end. Very good movie.
  66. Jun 12, 2013
    A mesmerizing film with an excellent ensemble cast. It is certainly Martin Scorsese's best, along with his films "Taxi Driver", "Raging Bull" and "Goodfellas". Don't miss this film.
  67. Mar 20, 2015
    A gritty, thrilling, intense, and intricately woven crime thriller. Want to see what the big deal about Scorcesse is? Watch this movie, arguably one of the best gangster dramas of all time. The direction is so tight and laser beam precise that I can't do it justice in writing. The acting is all great, even though Nicholson does admittedly go a little too over the top in some scenes, andA gritty, thrilling, intense, and intricately woven crime thriller. Want to see what the big deal about Scorcesse is? Watch this movie, arguably one of the best gangster dramas of all time. The direction is so tight and laser beam precise that I can't do it justice in writing. The acting is all great, even though Nicholson does admittedly go a little too over the top in some scenes, and the story is engrossing and filled with consuming paranoia. This is also a very excitingly violent movie. Some will argue that there are too many Scorcesse-isms that we've seen too many times before, but I never felt like the story was just going through the motions or being anything other than authentic. A great movie. Expand
  68. Jan 28, 2013
    This movies is just amazing, Is on the pantheon with Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and Goodfellas. Take your breath away and amazing performances. Well deserved the Oscar!! And off course one of the best films of 2000s.
  69. Mar 23, 2013
    As said Peter Travers of Rolling Stone. is a new American crime classic from the legendary Martin Scorsese, whose talent shines here in its highest beams.
    This film is a true masterpiece of Mr. Scorsese, if you know the amazing movie direct a police-criminal in addition to adapt a script to give us a glorious orgasm film called The Departed.
    The story development only increases all the
    The story development only increases all the virtues that contains this tape, to reach a final height of the circumstances because he has all the elements to declare it as the movie of 2006.
    It's not just the plot (what script!), Is the atmosphere, the tension, the fast pace, the harshness, hardness and action, great performances. Any meeting of the leadership quality in the acting and how to bring such a complex history.
    In this film should not only nominated, but rewarding in all the glorious prize Starring Leonardo Dicaprio because now if I can achieve much more than majestual, really epic, clear that Jack Nicholson is like a fish in the water doing what she likes be a perfect bastard, at home and in their actions.
    Damon also does very well, shows us that we can give a good taste in their movies and last but not least the myriad of side is superb: from Mark Wahlberg Martin Sheen, all make this film is (or at least should) be remembered for raising so much wasted talent.
    Undoubtedly, one of the best films of the decade 2000.
  70. Nov 12, 2013
    Despite the film's last act misstep, the movie's worth watching just for the journey. Scorsese remains a master, and he's working his finest magic here. He refuses to fall into the usual pitfalls of the gangster drama, and continues to find completely new nuances in genres that others have already mined nearly to death. Cops versus killers has been done to the point of improbability, butDespite the film's last act misstep, the movie's worth watching just for the journey. Scorsese remains a master, and he's working his finest magic here. He refuses to fall into the usual pitfalls of the gangster drama, and continues to find completely new nuances in genres that others have already mined nearly to death. Cops versus killers has been done to the point of improbability, but in front of Marty's lens it's a brand new game. It's not quite the masterpiece that some of this other recent films like The Aviator and Bringing Out the Dead have been, but The Departed is a work of strong vision and sharp personality. Expand
  71. Mar 13, 2013
    The Departed is Martin Scorsese's most recent gangster film about two Boston state police officers (Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon) on separate sides of the law who cross paths when a rat is seeked out in both the police, and a gangster's (Jack Nicholson) crew of Irish gangsters. Is it better then Goodfellas, hell no. But it is one damn good crime film.
  72. Aug 20, 2013
    Scorsese scores again with this intense crime thriller. Truly Scorsese's best mobster film since "Goodfellas". It's filled with fantastic acting, great screenplay and an intriguing story. Overall, it's a Scorsese film with a bit more pizazz. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  73. May 4, 2013
    Martin Scorsece's best film, by far. One of my favorite movies, the entire cast knocked it out of the park, especially Jack Nicholson. Scorcese's best film since Goodfellas.
  74. Sep 13, 2013
    Jam-packed with excellent performances from an utterly stacked cast, well written characters, in-depth and genius plot, a blood-boiling climax, and possibly the greatest ending given to any film. The only downsides are that some parts tend to drag on, but the overall experience is phenomenal.
  75. Sep 15, 2013
    I can't shake the feeling of how much this movie reminds me of "Goodfellas".

The Departed is a slam-bam thriller, exceeding my expectations, which were already very high. The way Scorcese moves between scenes and plays this movie up is genius. The script is excellent, providing rich dialogue to move the gripping story along, and the cinematography is just wonderful. The angles and
    I can't shake the feeling of how much this movie reminds me of "Goodfellas".

The script is excellent, providing rich dialogue to move the gripping story along, and the cinematography is just wonderful. The angles and style of filming that Martin Scorcese is famous for emanates here, shining brighter than films of kin.

The acting is just amazing, with a star-studded cast that delivers the goods, and then some. I enjoyed Matt Damon in the title roll, and Leonardo DiCaprio trails right behind him. Jack Nicholson brings charisma to the roll of Frank Costello, and executes with Oscar-worthy style. I especially liked Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin's loose cannon-like characters. They provided a stunning edge to an already sharp blade of a film.

I can go on and on about everything else that is good in this movie, how it all clicks together, but I suggest you watch it for yourself if you haven't already, and find out what all the hype is about! I would give it more than 100 if I could.
  76. Nov 13, 2013
    The Departed is astonishing.
    Incredible acting performances from Damon, Di-caprio, and Nicholas matched with top quality direction from Martin Scorsese. An unbelievably great plot with excitement and twists to leave you speechless.
  77. Jan 2, 2014
    One of the greatest movies I've ever seen. The plot behind this movie portrays Whitey Bulger which makes the movie interesting. When I saw that Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg were in this movie I knew I had to see it. I was blown away at how amazing this movie was. This is number two on my favorite movies of all time (Argo is my favorite movie!) IF you haven't seen thisOne of the greatest movies I've ever seen. The plot behind this movie portrays Whitey Bulger which makes the movie interesting. When I saw that Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg were in this movie I knew I had to see it. I was blown away at how amazing this movie was. This is number two on my favorite movies of all time (Argo is my favorite movie!) IF you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend you to watch this movie. It will be an intense experience. Expand
  78. Jun 16, 2014
    A truly drama, crime thriller masterpiece in which cops and criminals struggle to find out the mole inside their own forces in an attempt to finish their businesses smoothly. While Billy Costigan gradually loses his former personality due to playing the character of a criminal for too long, Colin Sullivan works on a new plan to both get rid of his boss, "godfather" Frank Costello and theA truly drama, crime thriller masterpiece in which cops and criminals struggle to find out the mole inside their own forces in an attempt to finish their businesses smoothly. While Billy Costigan gradually loses his former personality due to playing the character of a criminal for too long, Colin Sullivan works on a new plan to both get rid of his boss, "godfather" Frank Costello and the informer who has infiltrated Frank's gang. I was a bit disappointed by the end of the film; Billy died trying to avenge the death of his captain, Queenan. But I still think the movie is great because Sergeant Dignam, eventually, successfully kills Colin as a worthy punishment of this smart-street criminal. Wonderful flick that i would recommend to anyone looking for a crime blockbuster Expand
  79. May 4, 2014
    Martin Scorsese has a superb movie in every decade 70s: Taxi Driver 80s: Raging Bull 90s: Goodfellas and he kept the streak alive with The Departed for the 2000s, this film has all the tools, superb casting, performances, charachterization and direction. Matt Damon is great as the corrupt cop, DiCaprio is in one of his best as the undercover cop, Mark Wahlberg as the butt-kicking cop, andMartin Scorsese has a superb movie in every decade 70s: Taxi Driver 80s: Raging Bull 90s: Goodfellas and he kept the streak alive with The Departed for the 2000s, this film has all the tools, superb casting, performances, charachterization and direction. Matt Damon is great as the corrupt cop, DiCaprio is in one of his best as the undercover cop, Mark Wahlberg as the butt-kicking cop, and finally the performance that made this movie what it is Jack Nicholson as Frank Costello, in 1972 Jack was in talks to play Michael Corleone in The Godfather and i always kept thinking how Jack would play a gangster, in 2006 Jack put on one of his best perfomances as Irish Mafia Leader. I would totally recommend this movie to anyone Expand
  80. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Departed is absolutely the best movie by director Martin Scorsese (in my opinion). There was never a dull moment during the 152 minutes you'd use to watch this film.
  81. Apr 9, 2014
    One of the best Martin Scorsese's movies.There is not too much action but there is an interesting story. I know it's a remake from a Japanese movie and i watched it but Scorsese's one is by far the best.
  82. May 14, 2014
    great movie, suspenseful great plot the acting in this this is great flawless performances by everyone this movie stays interesting the character development was great. worth buying a copy of 9/10
  83. TEM
    May 21, 2014
    My favorite film of all time. Leonardo DiCaprio delivers his best performance which is saying a great deal considering all the great performances he has delivered. Martin Scorsese is at his best and leads an all star cast through an amazingly perfect story. From beginning to end this movie never slows down or sees a dull moment.
  84. Feb 15, 2015
    Martin Scorsese adds another excellent film to his resume with The Departed. This film shows some individuality compared to his other films and boasts a cast with some of the best actors in film. Leo DiCaprio, who has been known to collaborate with Scorsese is pitted against Matt Damon although neither character has much interaction with each other through the film. Jack Nicholson showsMartin Scorsese adds another excellent film to his resume with The Departed. This film shows some individuality compared to his other films and boasts a cast with some of the best actors in film. Leo DiCaprio, who has been known to collaborate with Scorsese is pitted against Matt Damon although neither character has much interaction with each other through the film. Jack Nicholson shows that he is just as good as he ever was in the role of the main villain. I think he could've been given an Oscar nomination for his role in this movie. Then you also have Mark Wahlberg and Martin Sheen in supporting roles. Wahlberg is excellent despite his screen time limits and he is the only actor who received an Oscar nomination in the movie (he lost to Alan Arkin). The Departed will leave you guessing right until the end, with a twist that will certainly blow your mind. Expand
  85. Jan 17, 2015
    I don't know if it was supposed to be a serious film or what, but I did laugh a heck lot. The screenplay was really engrossing.

And it is simply put, unpredictable, and balanced. A simple thing, enhanced, as most have noticed. Scorsese and, definitely, Nicholson, took it away.
  86. Mar 31, 2015
    It may seem weird to say, but this is my favorite Scorsese Film. I know Scorsese's filmography is amazing, but the blend of humor, witty dialogue, great acting, and a plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat right up until the unpredictable ending create a true modern masterpiece. The hilarious dialogue, is matched only by the great soundtrack which is both area, and time appropriate.It may seem weird to say, but this is my favorite Scorsese Film. I know Scorsese's filmography is amazing, but the blend of humor, witty dialogue, great acting, and a plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat right up until the unpredictable ending create a true modern masterpiece. The hilarious dialogue, is matched only by the great soundtrack which is both area, and time appropriate. All of this combined makes the Departed one of my favorite films of all time. Expand
  87. Apr 20, 2015
    The Boston police department manages to place young cadet Billy Costigan (DiCaprio) deep undercover in the city’s Irish-American gangland, run by the violent Frank Costello (Nicholson). But gangster Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) has also signed on to join the police force, planning to leak information back to Costello.

Boston gangster Frank Costello puts his gun to the back of a woman’s

Boston gangster Frank Costello puts his gun to the back of a woman’s head, pulls the trigger in the nonchalant manner with which he’d light a cigarette and, as she stumbles over her husband’s already-murdered corpse, casually reports, “She fell funny”. Obscene and dangerously insane, Costello is the driving force powering The Departed, Martin Scorsese’s return to his urban roots after a decade of period pieces. Then, he is played by Jack Nicholson. This marks the first teaming of America’s premier cinematic dynamos.

The set-up certainly draws out the best in a cast, led by Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon, that’s probably unused to working in someone else’s shadow. Then, this is Jack Nicholson. DiCaprio is Billy Costigan, the cop working his way inside Costello’s gang; Damon is Colin Sullivan, the criminal’s protégé groomed from a young age to become a police mole, leaking information from inside the force.

When it comes to the dynamics of filmmaking, Scorsese still has few peers — an elevator shoot-out in the third act could easily be this year’s tensest scene. The Departed is a sort of time machine: it recalls the richness and moral ambiguity of Hollywood’s ’70s, presenting stories about real people absent of turn-of-the-millennium concerns. They curse, have sex, lie, fight — and sometimes die horribly. This is a superbly crafted movie that holds its own alongside, say, Serpico and The French Connection, with their amoral characters and intense, realistic action. Yet, despite its many layers, the director clearly has no ambition to break new ground. The surprising moments of humour that leaven the story suggest that he’s having fun with a film that puts him back on the mean streets, but with no intention of detailing the cogs of the criminal world.

Back to the streets and with a stellar cast, Martin Scorsese proves once again that he’s the master of urban storytelling — and of thrillingly violent filmmaking.
  88. Apr 24, 2015
    The Departed is a perfect example of why remakes shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Director Martin Scorsese and screenwriter William Monahan have taken the B-grade Hong Kong crime flick Infernal Affairs and re-imagined it as an American epic tragedy. The original film was gritty and entertaining; the new version is a masterpiece - the best effort Scorsese has brought to the screen sinceThe Departed is a perfect example of why remakes shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Director Martin Scorsese and screenwriter William Monahan have taken the B-grade Hong Kong crime flick Infernal Affairs and re-imagined it as an American epic tragedy. The original film was gritty and entertaining; the new version is a masterpiece - the best effort Scorsese has brought to the screen since Goodfellas (ending a decade-long drought of disappointments and near-misses). In making The Departed, Scorsese has retained the essential plot structure of Infernal Affairs but has transformed the movie into something truly his own. Characters are better defined and situations are given an opportunity to breathe. None of this is done at the cost of pacing; The Departed is as suspenseful as anything the director has previously achieved. This movie deserves mention alongside Scorsese's most celebrated movies: Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, and The Age of Innocence.

On-screen talent pools don't get much deeper than this one, with A-list actors like Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg, and Alec Baldwin accepting supporting roles. Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon prove two crucial things: they are not interchangeable and, when pushed by someone who can direct actors, they can give riveting performances. DiCaprio has displayed growth in each of his appearances for Scorsese, and this is by far the best work he has done in his career. Jack Nicholson is in top form, providing a diabolical villain who can deliver a monologue with unparalleled verve. His part is showy enough that it will be virtually impossible for him to be ignored at Oscar time. Up-and-coming actress Vera Farmiga and British tough guy Ray Winstone round out a cast that, if not perfect, is close to it.

The consistent levels of intrigue and tension are among The Departed's high points. Scorsese draws viewers in with a captivating monologue delivered by Nicholson at a time in the past (the date is not specified, but it is presumably the early 1980s), which includes the most memorable two lines in Monahan's screenplay: "I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." After this quick introduction, the scene shifts to the present. It takes a little while for the ins-and-outs of the setup to become clear, but once the sides are established and the cat-and-mouse games begin, the suspense begins to slowly simmer. Even knowing what was coming (from having seen Infernal Affairs), I remained on the edge of my seat. Unlike many remakes, this one feels fresh, not recycled.

Thematically, The Departed fits well with the director's oeuvre. The movie concentrates on family and betrayal, and what constitute both. The lead characters are loners, but they are linked to the world of Boston gangsters by blood ties. Each also commits at least one betrayal, but the question becomes "Who are they betraying?" It's not as easy to answer as one might suspect. In the murky waters of double agents, moles, and rats, loyalty isn't a facile commodity to gauge. Every character ultimately earns his or her fate, except perhaps one.

Two technical hallmarks of Scorsese's films are in evidence. Michael Ballhaus' cinematography is intense and moody. Even though a significant portion of the movie was shot in New York City, the feel is "all Boston." Howard Shore provides the score, but the most notable aspect of the soundtrack is the near-perfect song selection. For the third time in his career, Scorsese uses the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" (see also Goodfellas and Casino). He also employs a cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" during a key sequence.

Since this is a gangster film, there's plenty of bloodletting and profanity, although one could argue that The Departed is tame compared to some of what Scorsese has given us in the past. Nevertheless, seeing the respected director back at the top of his game with a movie that could be both commercially and critically successful is a source of jubilation. The movies have been in the doldrums lately; The Departed is a much needed tonic. It's also one of 2006's best features.

A new American crime classic from the legendary Martin Scorsese, whose talent shines here on its highest beams.
  2. A ferociously entertaining film.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This reworking of a popular Hong Kong picture pulses with energy, tangy dialogue and crackling performances from a fine cast.