8.0

1. May 21, 2013
    An excellent film with an outstanding cast brilliant direction and genius writing and a spectacular ending. This is one of the finest films of Scorsese since Goodfellas & Taxi Driver.
  2. JustinG.
    Nov 5, 2007
    It seems as if the Christian fundies have invaded this site. This film is truly one of my favorite films, ever. A true gangster film, with a great story, great acting, and overall an exceptional film.
  3. RickyQ.
    Nov 1, 2006
    Great story, great acting, great film.
  4. VamsiK.
    Nov 26, 2006
    I think it will be the best movie of 2006. If you haven
  5. Eon
    Nov 4, 2006
    What a nice return to the good stuff from the director. I don't think it's his best since "Goodfellas" ( I think "Casino" is) , but it is really one of his best. And definitely best Dicaprio's work.
  6. BarryA.
    Sep 9, 2007
    One of the best movies I have ever seen! It keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. The actings fantastic, the music is great. This movie is thrilling, unpredictable, and amazing!
  7. marcvs
    Feb 12, 2007
    the film was great. all of the complaints people have about it are invalid. the plot was great, the acting suited the film perfectly, and character development worked well. if people can't understand the motivation of a character in a film directed this well, it's the fault of their incompetence, not poor screenwriting or directing or acting. the film is by no means "safe", thethe film was great. all of the complaints people have about it are invalid. the plot was great, the acting suited the film perfectly, and character development worked well. if people can't understand the motivation of a character in a film directed this well, it's the fault of their incompetence, not poor screenwriting or directing or acting. the film is by no means "safe", the editing was very sporatic for effect and necessity and the cursing realistic... if you want to be shocked for shock's sake, watch hobos fight on the internet. Expand
  8. Jun 22, 2013
    Just a fantastic film. Each and every actor does such a marvelous job and the movie leaves you wanting more, which is the key reason why this is a 10. The end was great, but yet, I still want more. I'm almost sad that the movie is over. Highly recommend. Fantastic film.
  9. Mar 19, 2012
    The film is not a film like taxi driver or Raging bull but, it is instead a regular crime thriller film with scorcesse's special touch. This film would have been just an average film if it werent for 2 things. Scorcesse's direction and the acting ensemble. The films writting is also masterful but, it works extremely well because of the acting. Overall a great film.
  10. JimmyH
    Oct 6, 2006
    Phenomenal. Definitely as good (if not better) than Goodfellas.
  11. Jan 16, 2011
    One of Scorsese's most brilliant works. It may be an adaptation, but the rebirth is stronger like a phoenix. Strong, strong acting, excellent directing, and involving storyline make this mob thriller one of the highlight films of the year.
  12. Jan 21, 2011
    Mr. Scorsese just put me in a position, after watching this movie, to be appalled at how gruesome and unnecessarily violent this movie is, or to say, "What a masterpiece!" I think I'll go with the latter.
  13. SimonM.
    Sep 3, 2007
    Marty does it again!! and I really really hate DeCaprio (this is baseless old fashioned, old school unreasoning hate, like a clan member but instead of ethnic groups I hate the beautiful people who get to eat cheese burgers off of super model asses!)
  14. JasonB.
    Dec 19, 2006
    This Movie is one of the best on the past decade. Excellent job.
  15. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: Crime film is very thrilling, hard to stop watching. Deserving of its Best Picture Oscar.

Scorsese directs a violent update of the well-known Chinese mob film, INFERNAL AFFAIRS, from just four years prior. Set in Boston, Massachusetts, the story tells of a mob boss named Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson) who sends out a criminal, Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon). Simultaneously, the local police have sent out Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) to infiltrate Costelloâ
  16. Aug 16, 2010
    Not as good as Scorsese's transcendant "Goodfellas", but what film could be compared to that masterpiece other than "The Godfather"? It's pretty shocking to see that this is the only film directed by Scorsese that ever won Best Picture (not that it matters), because I can think of four or five films that I prefer of his over "The Departed". Maybe what this film does more than anything isNot as good as Scorsese's transcendant "Goodfellas", but what film could be compared to that masterpiece other than "The Godfather"? It's pretty shocking to see that this is the only film directed by Scorsese that ever won Best Picture (not that it matters), because I can think of four or five films that I prefer of his over "The Departed". Maybe what this film does more than anything is show how illustrious and superb Scorsese's career has been. Expand
  17. PaulB.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Excellent acting/great script/good camera work. It does NOT seem like 2.5 hours long!!!
  18. J.
    Oct 5, 2006
    Marty's best in 15 years, a blistering slow-burner of a movie. The final minutes are among the best ever in ANY movie. Don't miss it for the world!
  19. DanA.
    Oct 6, 2006
    Scorsese's best effort in years - nearly as good as Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, and likely the equal of Goodfellas.
  20. BlancoA.
    Oct 7, 2006
    Simply an outstanding film. If you like movies, you know what to do. I read recently the Jack Nicholson, more than any other actor in Hollywood, enjoys the craft of acting, and that is borne out in a big way in this film. And Leo is incredible. Freakin' incredible. Matt Damon plays Matt Damon, but his vanilla performance is not nearly enough to knock this down to a 9. If the film is Simply an outstanding film. If you like movies, you know what to do. I read recently the Jack Nicholson, more than any other actor in Hollywood, enjoys the craft of acting, and that is borne out in a big way in this film. And Leo is incredible. Freakin' incredible. Matt Damon plays Matt Damon, but his vanilla performance is not nearly enough to knock this down to a 9. If the film is not nomiated for a golden stiff, that show is more f-ed up than I already think it is. Whalberg, Winstone, Sheen - every supporting actor is phenomenal. I'm not going to reveal any plot points in this review, and I'd hate for people to spoil the experience of this film for others by doing so. Scorsese has created a worthy follow-up to Goodfellas. Again, you know what to do. Expand
  21. AmarT.
    Oct 8, 2006
    Gripping tense edge of the seat tale of mob vs the law. Otustanding starcast, story, screenplay and direction.
  22. BrendanW.
    Oct 9, 2006
    This movie is awesome on every level. Great directing, editing, music, and acting by a great cast. Movies don't get much better than this.
  23. PaulL.
    Jan 11, 2007
    So here's the crux. If you think Scorcese is one of the greatest filmmakers of our time and probably the best of the crime/mafia genre, then youl'll love this film because it's simply one of his best. If you don't, then you'll probably hate this film like you hate Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and Casino.
  24. ChadN.
    Jan 19, 2007
    This movie is by far the best of the year. Best movie Scorcese has made since the classic Goodfellas! And I saw Babel and Dream Girls and it will be a tragedy if it doesn't win the academy award for best picture
  25. FilazaferX.
    Feb 26, 2007
    The movie is highly entertaining, but the ending was terrible. It's that simple. I was a prime example of writing a movie, but not knowing how to end it. It was just plan silly and very disappointing.
  26. ChadeW.
    Apr 30, 2007
    The Departed- Leo's an enraged and violent cop infiltrating the mob, Matty-boy is a clean-slate gangster infiltrating the cops, Jackie Nickles is the puppet master with the strings on Matt, and Marky Mark is the foul-mouthed spotlight-stealer. This film was genius; from its perfect cast and amazing screenplay to the twisty-turny, edge-of-your-seat story, this film just rocks. The Departed- Leo's an enraged and violent cop infiltrating the mob, Matty-boy is a clean-slate gangster infiltrating the cops, Jackie Nickles is the puppet master with the strings on Matt, and Marky Mark is the foul-mouthed spotlight-stealer. This film was genius; from its perfect cast and amazing screenplay to the twisty-turny, edge-of-your-seat story, this film just rocks. It's a cool, yet hectic and chaotic look at the Boston Mafia. Tension ensues with each and every character, true-to-life events change the outlook everyone has on each-other, and fear of being caught is within every frame of this modern crime classic. From the shocking begining to the equally shocking (some may say confusing at first, but they get it sooner or later) and clap-worthy ending, The Departed never stops thrilling or teasing or shocking. Once you think it's over, its sooo far from it. A fantastic piece of cinima and one of my favorite movies of the 21st century. Expand
  27. JB
    May 29, 2007
    Cracking bit of cinema, from opening speach to breathless ending. Superb acting, superb direction and top class casting. deserving of all plaudits it has received and more.
  28. DanD.
    Nov 10, 2006
    One of the best I've seen in the past two years. EASILLY better than Crash, and that won a bunch of awards. Many great stars, each in which is probably my favorite of their roles in a long time.
  29. Tonydannie
    Oct 10, 2006
    An A-List Cast, Great Score, Great Photography and Scorsese is in top form. This is A must see!
  30. MikeC.
    This Is THE BEST MOVIE OF THIS YEAR and I hope Eastwood doesn
  31. BruceR
    Oct 12, 2006
    Just walked out of this picture with a huge smile on my face. Absolutely loved it, on all levels. First time I've ever enjoyed watching Leo. Every member of the cast was absolutely terrific.
  32. KoreyW.
    Oct 10, 2006
    Awesome movie!! The acting was great, but the story was even better. You never know how the movie is going to end. Good feeling when watching a movie.
  33. JordanC
    Oct 16, 2006
    Excellent movie, highly recommend.
  34. JeanP.
    Oct 17, 2006
    One of the best movies I've seen in a very, very long time. Acting, directing, screenplay all Oscar Material
  35. MattO.
    Oct 10, 2006
    Completely entertaining from credit to credit. Usually, a cast with this many all-stars tends to be disappointing, but everyone was absolutely on top of their game for this one. Once again, Scorsese is king of the mountain.
  36. BilB.
    Dec 10, 2006
    Jack gave a flawless performance. Leo was torn up, put thru the ringer, and pulled it off excellently. I'm glad I saw this on the big screen and not waited for the DVD.
  37. JoeB.
    Oct 20, 2006
    To say this is the best film of the year would be insulting it in a sea of garbage. It is a GREAT movie. Period. Great cast, great script, great Scorcese, A film for adults. What a novelty!
  38. MattY.
    Oct 20, 2006
    Long nap? are you kidding? how can you sleep through this awesomely acted, well performed performances of Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Matt Damon? And Alec Baldwin is totally gold in this film. This is definitely one of the best films made this year. DEFINITELY. Write it down. "Huh. She fell funny." - Frank Costello
  39. GB
    Oct 20, 2006
    Gorgeous, great actors, amazing direction.
  40. RandyL
    Oct 30, 2006
    Fabulous. I'd like to ask Jack how long he practiced for the rat face scene... I mean.. the crew that shot that scene must have doubled up laughing... it's just unforgettable. This movie doesn't quite reach Cuckoo's Nest but dang it's close!
  41. ColleenD.
    Oct 5, 2006
    This is what filmmaking has been trying to get at for the past few years. A piece that grabs you from the first scene and plays your emotions with mastery until the last frame.
  42. LucyR.
    Oct 5, 2006
    By far, one of the best movies of the year. My favorite Scorsese movie since Goodfellas. The first one this year with a great cast that did not disappoint.
  43. LaurenceC.
    Awesome. Well-acted. Well-written. Better than Casino or Goodfellas
  44. AnnM.
    Oct 6, 2006
    One of the best films I have seen, ever. DiCaprio was the best in an cast of great actors.
  45. StephenI.
    Oct 6, 2006
    WOW mind-blowing, amazing, and etc. One of my favorite movies of all time. Give Scorsese the Oscar he deserves!
  46. KishoreKraleti
    Oct 6, 2006
    Best thing about it is, it always keeps you guessing. As we go into it, it explains events building screenplay. It
  47. Lynn
    Oct 6, 2006
    Wow wow wow. If this doesn't earn Scorsese an Oscar, nothing ever will.
  48. NathanT.
    Oct 6, 2006
    I don't want to jinx anything, but my gut tells me that Scorcese's long overdue Oscar is imminent with this instant classic of a film that is his best since "Goodfellas." The film on which it was based on, the 2003 Chinese police thriller "Infernal Affairs" was an excellent film; this is a great one. It doesn't arrive at greatness by way of perfection (neither did the I don't want to jinx anything, but my gut tells me that Scorcese's long overdue Oscar is imminent with this instant classic of a film that is his best since "Goodfellas." The film on which it was based on, the 2003 Chinese police thriller "Infernal Affairs" was an excellent film; this is a great one. It doesn't arrive at greatness by way of perfection (neither did the occasionally sprawling "Goodfellas"), but it gets there by being alive, thrilling, and gleefully politically incorrect. In a year that can, with a few exceptions (like "Half Nelson", "United 93", and "A Prairie Home Companion"), only be described as disappointing, Scorcese reemerges to show us how it's done. Bravo. Expand
  49. AllisonF.
    Oct 6, 2006
    A classic gangster movie.
  50. ShawnM.
    Oct 8, 2006
    Scorsese and the genre at their absolute best. There is no reason for anyone to miss this movie.
  51. Phil
    Oct 8, 2006
    Excellent, the first movie in a long time that was well worth the ticket price.
  52. Me
    Oct 9, 2006
    Really good movie. Complex and riveting.
  53. Moveigoer
    Oct 9, 2006
    Brilliant, eye-popping, scalding dialog, twisting absorbing plot, excrutiating tension building to a jaw-dropping finale. Performances: Nominations for Best Picture, Director, Actor(s) DeCaprio, Damon, Best Supporting: Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg. Jack is a bit over the top (but don't we want him to be) Leo is in fine form--but it is Matt Damon that steals the movie out from under them Brilliant, eye-popping, scalding dialog, twisting absorbing plot, excrutiating tension building to a jaw-dropping finale. Performances: Nominations for Best Picture, Director, Actor(s) DeCaprio, Damon, Best Supporting: Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg. Jack is a bit over the top (but don't we want him to be) Leo is in fine form--but it is Matt Damon that steals the movie out from under them all. He may win Best Actor for his best perf yet. Also Mark Wahlberg for best supporting actor with his brilliant venomous & profane outburts that scald your ears and the screen with their intensity. You will gasp and squirm as Scorcese the master tightens the screws. Will he finally get a Best Director nod? I think so. Expand
  54. JayK.
    Oct 9, 2006
    DiCaprio gives one of the best performances of his career in this film. Nicholson gives a very "creepy" performances (a very good thing!), and Damon continues to get much better roles than Ben Affleck. If you are a Scorsese fan you CANNOT be disappointed.
  55. Robert
    Superbly entertaining.
  56. WilliamsJ.
    Best Movie of 2006! It really should win best picture! I haven
  57. VictoriaS.
    Jan 8, 2007
    An absolutely wonderful, completely enthralling, movie-movie, "The Departed" is by far the most purely enjoyable Scorcese movie since "Raging Bull." With delightfully crackling and often extremely funny dialogue, beautifully realized details and superb acting, it creates a fascinating world, gripping until the last, deservedly silly, moment. Included is the best Jack Nicholson performance An absolutely wonderful, completely enthralling, movie-movie, "The Departed" is by far the most purely enjoyable Scorcese movie since "Raging Bull." With delightfully crackling and often extremely funny dialogue, beautifully realized details and superb acting, it creates a fascinating world, gripping until the last, deservedly silly, moment. Included is the best Jack Nicholson performance in years, and the absolute best work ever from Mark Wahlberg, far from his usual diffidence in a dynamic supporting role. Too long, by at least a half-hour, this is still the type of movie that reminds you of how magical movies can be. Expand
  58. OladeleB.
    Feb 16, 2007
    A very easy 10 because everything about this movie works. I dont know about the old version cos I havent seen it, but this version is relevant now. I guess Josh G is one of those type of people who has to be spoon fed to get the Plot. The brown envelope is the reason Walhberg wacked Damon... Put it together, it's really that simple.
  59. JamieB.
    Feb 17, 2007
    Twenty years from now it will be a definitive work from Scorsese.
  60. LindaH.
    Feb 18, 2007
    Finally Leonardo plays a manly role, no sissy in this excellent work by Scorcese. Nicholson overplays his role & tweeks the movie audience. Wahlberg - good guy or a rat? Entertaining movie throughout, but not for the kiddies.
  61. Soco
    Feb 24, 2007
    Excellent movie. Very intense and thrilling.
  62. Harry
    Mar 24, 2007
    "I'll get the rat!" is one of the most memorable quotes of Martin Scorsese's latest gangster film "The Departed". This film can be seen in many ways, it can be see as an atmosphere of the contemporary urban gangster places and lives, as a cat and mice game, as a thrilling ride or as the way we would feel if we were an inhuman gangster with no feeling. What makes "The Departed" "I'll get the rat!" is one of the most memorable quotes of Martin Scorsese's latest gangster film "The Departed". This film can be seen in many ways, it can be see as an atmosphere of the contemporary urban gangster places and lives, as a cat and mice game, as a thrilling ride or as the way we would feel if we were an inhuman gangster with no feeling. What makes "The Departed" such a great film is that every time you see it, you follow one of the character's stories and have different feelings. The first time I saw it, I felt like a bad guy following Costello's life and the second time, I felt like an emotionally drained and desperate character following Costigan's life. What makes "The Departed" such a complete film is Scorsese's thrilling directing of violent gangster scenes, and emotions, making us enter a puzzle were we always get stunned as we learn the different things that get revealed. Monahan's script is a brilliant piece, making for the first time, an action film were even the police looks like crap, a very realistic and vulgar dialogue and an ending that isn't like one of a traditional Hollywood film, but more like a contemporary Shakespeare one were everyone dies. The ensemble plays a key part making us forget their poplar names and convincing the audience of their character. The standouts are obviously DiCaprio and Nicholson, being the two characters of which I followed their story. Giving a style of classic rock music and arranging the pieces of the puzzle to get even more surprised make part of Thelma Schoonamer's perfect editing. All and all, "The Departed" is one of the best films of the year. Expand
  63. ND
    Apr 1, 2007
    Awesome movie - girlfriend loved it too and she doesnt normally like these type of films.
  64. TylerC.
    Feb 6, 2008
    DiCaprio, Damon, and Nicholson make one of the most badass trios in cinematic history (as far as I've seen). Definitely watch this one, Scorsese is amazing.
  65. SacheP.
    Mar 4, 2008
    One of the all time great films, - not Scorsese at his best but Scorsese's best.
  66. caporegime
    Jun 10, 2009
    Great movie. This puts the Irish gangsters more fierce and unpredictable than the Italian gangsters today.
  67. KeithP
    Sep 12, 2009
    This is a great movie. I can see why it won the Academy Award for Best Picture. The actors in this movie did their roles well.
  68. ERMan
    Sep 5, 2009
    The most successful movie following the infamous GoodFellows. Filled with a brilliant cast from the main characters like Leonardo Dicaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Wahlberg to top actors with very few scenes like Alec Baldwin. The Departed is a bloody violent suspense. Keeping the viewer entertained with the amazing acting and compelling srory, which will be keeping you at The most successful movie following the infamous GoodFellows. Filled with a brilliant cast from the main characters like Leonardo Dicaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Wahlberg to top actors with very few scenes like Alec Baldwin. The Departed is a bloody violent suspense. Keeping the viewer entertained with the amazing acting and compelling srory, which will be keeping you at the edge of your seat by plot twists that I never saw coming. A true action packed thriller that is more than worth your money. I highly recommend The Departed, which the critics are crazy about. See this movie!!! Expand
  69. JoaoP.
    Nov 13, 2006
    I'll only say this: The most accomplished work of movie directing that i saw. Ever. Martin Scorcese the best director ever.
  70. IvanC.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Great movie, best I have seen this year!
  71. JamesG.
    Simply awesome.
  72. AndreaM
    Oct 11, 2006
    Great cast, great movie, great story, and funny.
  73. NickG.
    Nov 24, 2006
    Brutally invigorating. The perfect film...Nicholson's monologue is superb. A lock for a Best Picture nomination.
  74. Giterdone
    Oct 12, 2006
    Wow....without a doubt the best film of the year. Acting by everyone was absolutely outstanding, particularly Leo. Gripping, suspenseful, violent, humorous....this film has it all. To those users who gave this movie anything less than a 7, please do the world a favor and toss yourself off a bridge, cause you are the type of people that will not allow yourself to enjoy or appreciate Wow....without a doubt the best film of the year. Acting by everyone was absolutely outstanding, particularly Leo. Gripping, suspenseful, violent, humorous....this film has it all. To those users who gave this movie anything less than a 7, please do the world a favor and toss yourself off a bridge, cause you are the type of people that will not allow yourself to enjoy or appreciate anything in life. Expand
  75. PBC
    Oct 13, 2006
    A smashing good one from the maestro. Let
  76. MaganYusuf
    Nov 3, 2006
    Martin Scorsese, you're a genuis. This film is simply superb. Everyone brought their best game, especially DiCaprio. Simply amazing!
  77. SarahK.
    Oct 15, 2006
    Excellent, definitely not your formulaic cop/mob movie. Loved it, very unique.
  78. LarryM.
    Oct 15, 2006
    It's rare to see a movie this well made anymore.
  79. Keyser
    Oct 16, 2006
    Great Film! It's refreshing to see a movie that doesn't rely on special f/x but instead a strong story and great acting.
  80. MarcD.
    Oct 18, 2006
    An extremely well done movie on all counts. This might be Scorsese's last chance at nabbing him an Oscar. The performances are all brilliant, but DiCaprio shines as Costigan.
  81. AdarshB
    Nov 9, 2006
    Must Watch Movie for all GANG-WARS loving audience!
  82. Josak
    Oct 20, 2006
    Excellent movie; I can't say its on par with
  83. JIMW.
    Oct 20, 2006
    Nicholson at his gritty best. Other cast members all hitting their marks. Great "guy" movie. Not for the faint-of-heart.
  84. MattA.
    Oct 22, 2006
    This movie is incredible. Dicaprio once again proves he is the best actor of his generation (not that ridiculous hack Sean Penn, see All the Kings Men for his typical stuff). People say it's good but not on par with Casino or Goodfellas. It is better than Casino and right up there with Goodfellas. Improves on the Chinese orginial in story and directing departments, but especially in This movie is incredible. Dicaprio once again proves he is the best actor of his generation (not that ridiculous hack Sean Penn, see All the Kings Men for his typical stuff). People say it's good but not on par with Casino or Goodfellas. It is better than Casino and right up there with Goodfellas. Improves on the Chinese orginial in story and directing departments, but especially in the acting. Great movie. Expand
  85. AnonymousMC
    Oct 24, 2006
    His best movie since Goodfellas.
  86. JimM
    Oct 25, 2006
    WOW! This is the MUST SEE movie of the year. You won't believe the ending.
  87. AaronM.
    Oct 28, 2006
    This movie is exciting, thrilling, and even quite funny. All the characters were fantastic, especially Jack Nicholson. See this movie!
  88. DanB.
    Oct 31, 2006
    About the only thing I can say against this movie is that it was pure entertainment, and didn't have much depth. If it somehow made statements about the human condition, or whatever, and managed to be as entertaining, it would get a ten. But it didn't. Well--with that kind of flaw, I can live. This movie and everyone in it is awesome.
  89. PashaL.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Scorsese returns to his gangster roots and knocks it out of the park. Leo really lets loose and proves he is one of the best actors working today. Matt, Alec and Jack are all spectacular as well
    A instant classic
  91. RJS.
    Oct 6, 2006
    Everything seemed Oscar worthy, from the cinematography, to editing, to the screenplay, acting, score, everything. The film is so well crafted that at almost 3 hours long, it doesn't seem to matter, and you even expect more. I never had so much fun and disgust with a crime movie in years. Definitely the best movie of the year so far.
  92. RobA.
    Awesome.
  93. BillyI.
    Oct 6, 2006
    You can add one more title to an already lengthy list for The Best Martin Scorsese Movie ever. There are many justified arguments in favor of The Departed, in which Mr Scorsese returns to the genre that he already owns- the crime drama. After waiting 30 years, we are blessed with the pairing of Jack Nicholson in a film by Martin Scorsese, and was it ever worth the wait. Just when you You can add one more title to an already lengthy list for The Best Martin Scorsese Movie ever. There are many justified arguments in favor of The Departed, in which Mr Scorsese returns to the genre that he already owns- the crime drama. After waiting 30 years, we are blessed with the pairing of Jack Nicholson in a film by Martin Scorsese, and was it ever worth the wait. Just when you thought you'd seen Nicholson in every possible role, you get him in his most vile, reprehensible character yet, and once again he's perfect. In fact, everyone is perfect. Dicaprio has shed his boy wonder image and gives the most emotionally mature performance of his career, and Matt Damon holds his own in a film dripping with talent. The cinematography, editing and score all add to the brilliance of this film, but above all, it is a film by... and that's all you need to know. Expand
  94. GeoffR.
    Oct 6, 2006
    INCREDIBLE!! The star studded cast definitely delivered this time. It was mesmerizing and exciting the entire time!
  95. WilliamB.
    Oct 6, 2006
    Great movie, a little bit too much violence at the end, but I think every adult should see this movie in the fall.
  96. EdK.
    Oct 7, 2006
    Not the masterpiece Goodfellas was, but A very entertaining well acted film.
  97. RobR
    Oct 7, 2006
    Not a great movie, possibly Scorsese's least personal (and profound) feature, but HIGHLY entertaining. I don't think the ending was terrible. May seem that way at first, but I think it's meant to be ridiculous, especially given that tongue-in-cheek ending.
  98. TaureanR.
    Oct 7, 2006
    Engrossing and intense gangster film set in present-day Boston with a strong plot, lots of interesting dialogue, and excellent acting. DiCaprio and Nicholson are standouts in a cast that seems to include half the A list Hollywood stars. This is the best movie I have seen this year. Scorcese scores again. Minor nits: some of the romantic dialogue between Matt Damon's character and his Engrossing and intense gangster film set in present-day Boston with a strong plot, lots of interesting dialogue, and excellent acting. DiCaprio and Nicholson are standouts in a cast that seems to include half the A list Hollywood stars. This is the best movie I have seen this year. Scorcese scores again. Minor nits: some of the romantic dialogue between Matt Damon's character and his love interest came off as forced and unconvincing, and occasionally Jack Nicholson's acting bordered on ham. Expand
  99. Kurt
    Oct 7, 2006
    As good as crime drama gets!
  100. JM.
    Oct 9, 2006
    Stop reading the reviews and go watch the movie! Great, great film.

A new American crime classic from the legendary Martin Scorsese, whose talent shines here on its highest beams.
  2. A ferociously entertaining film.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This reworking of a popular Hong Kong picture pulses with energy, tangy dialogue and crackling performances from a fine cast.