The Departed

7.6

1. May 21, 2013
    An excellent film with an outstanding cast brilliant direction and genius writing and a spectacular ending. This is one of the finest films of Scorsese since Goodfellas & Taxi Driver.
  2. JustinG.
    Nov 5, 2007
    It seems as if the Christian fundies have invaded this site. This film is truly one of my favorite films, ever. A true gangster film, with a great story, great acting, and overall an exceptional film.
  3. RickyQ.
    Nov 1, 2006
    Great story, great acting, great film.
  4. VamsiK.
    Nov 26, 2006
    I think it will be the best movie of 2006. If you haven
  5. Eon
    Nov 4, 2006
    What a nice return to the good stuff from the director. I don't think it's his best since "Goodfellas" ( I think "Casino" is) , but it is really one of his best. And definitely best Dicaprio's work.
  6. RM.
    Oct 30, 2006
    Slightly overrated. The acting was superb from all quarters, EVERYONE. But Di Caprio carried the movie. I actually wanted to see more of Mark Whalberg in this film, his character was intense. Matt was Matt (his best work for me with regards to Damon to this day still remains to be the first remake of the Bourne Identity, but he did a good job here too). Jack was Jack and you can't Slightly overrated. The acting was superb from all quarters, EVERYONE. But Di Caprio carried the movie. I actually wanted to see more of Mark Whalberg in this film, his character was intense. Matt was Matt (his best work for me with regards to Damon to this day still remains to be the first remake of the Bourne Identity, but he did a good job here too). Jack was Jack and you can't say anything more. But Leo was definitely the character I empathized with the most and like I said he carried the film. Maybe it was all the hype leading up to me seeing the movie that let me down a bit though the ending was really good. 8/8 Worth the $$$. Expand
  7. BarryA.
    Sep 9, 2007
    One of the best movies I have ever seen! It keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. The actings fantastic, the music is great. This movie is thrilling, unpredictable, and amazing!
  8. marcvs
    Feb 12, 2007
    the film was great. all of the complaints people have about it are invalid. the plot was great, the acting suited the film perfectly, and character development worked well. if people can't understand the motivation of a character in a film directed this well, it's the fault of their incompetence, not poor screenwriting or directing or acting. the film is by no means "safe", thethe film was great. all of the complaints people have about it are invalid. the plot was great, the acting suited the film perfectly, and character development worked well. if people can't understand the motivation of a character in a film directed this well, it's the fault of their incompetence, not poor screenwriting or directing or acting. the film is by no means "safe", the editing was very sporatic for effect and necessity and the cursing realistic... if you want to be shocked for shock's sake, watch hobos fight on the internet. Expand
  9. Jun 22, 2013
    Just a fantastic film. Each and every actor does such a marvelous job and the movie leaves you wanting more, which is the key reason why this is a 10. The end was great, but yet, I still want more. I'm almost sad that the movie is over. Highly recommend. Fantastic film.
  10. Mar 19, 2012
    The film is not a film like taxi driver or Raging bull but, it is instead a regular crime thriller film with scorcesse's special touch. This film would have been just an average film if it werent for 2 things. Scorcesse's direction and the acting ensemble. The films writting is also masterful but, it works extremely well because of the acting. Overall a great film.
  11. JimmyH
    Oct 6, 2006
    Phenomenal. Definitely as good (if not better) than Goodfellas.
  12. Jan 16, 2011
    One of Scorsese's most brilliant works. It may be an adaptation, but the rebirth is stronger like a phoenix. Strong, strong acting, excellent directing, and involving storyline make this mob thriller one of the highlight films of the year.
  13. Jan 21, 2011
    Mr. Scorsese just put me in a position, after watching this movie, to be appalled at how gruesome and unnecessarily violent this movie is, or to say, "What a masterpiece!" I think I'll go with the latter.
  14. SimonM.
    Sep 3, 2007
    Marty does it again!! and I really really hate DeCaprio (this is baseless old fashioned, old school unreasoning hate, like a clan member but instead of ethnic groups I hate the beautiful people who get to eat cheese burgers off of super model asses!)
  15. JasonB.
    Dec 19, 2006
    This Movie is one of the best on the past decade. Excellent job.
  16. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: Crime film is very thrilling, hard to stop watching. Deserving of its Best Picture Oscar.

Scorsese directs a violent update of the well-known Chinese mob film, INFERNAL AFFAIRS, from just four years prior. Set in Boston, Massachusetts, the story tells of a mob boss named Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson) who sends out a criminal, Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon). Simultaneously, the local police have sent out Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) to infiltrate Costelloâ
  17. JasonJ.
    Mar 5, 2007
    America has forgotten what makes a truly great movie. Is this movie way better than most in recent years? Yes. Is this movie Shawshank Redemption or The God Father 2? No. Why? It lacks inclusion. It's an art that is hard to master and hard to explain. Basically, it's a lack of connection between myself (the audience) and the characters. At the end when everyone gets shot, I America has forgotten what makes a truly great movie. Is this movie way better than most in recent years? Yes. Is this movie Shawshank Redemption or The God Father 2? No. Why? It lacks inclusion. It's an art that is hard to master and hard to explain. Basically, it's a lack of connection between myself (the audience) and the characters. At the end when everyone gets shot, I really didn't care too much about any of the characters' fates. Maybe it's the tabloid cast. We know so much about these people personally, it might as well be our parents or friends on screen. We know that DiCaprio gets up from the floor, cleans off the fake bullet hole in his head, and goes back to his perfect "real" life of fame and wealth. We weren't so certain about that back in 1992 with Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. We need to either stop with the tabloids or find new actors that will enable our suspension of disbelief again. Expand
  18. EricC.
    Mar 1, 2007
    It was a blast to watch. One of the best times I had at the movies in a while. But Best Picture? Someones trying way to hard to please some Scorsese fans. You can't call it original, since it's based on Infernal Affairs (which is far better, from what I hear). The acting is over the top and deeply lacking in depth. Leanardo is angry the whole movie (even during love scenes), It was a blast to watch. One of the best times I had at the movies in a while. But Best Picture? Someones trying way to hard to please some Scorsese fans. You can't call it original, since it's based on Infernal Affairs (which is far better, from what I hear). The acting is over the top and deeply lacking in depth. Leanardo is angry the whole movie (even during love scenes), Nicholson is crazy the whole movie (never saw that before... wait, yes I have), Damon was a jerk the whole movie. Should I keep going through the entire cast? I had fun, yeah, but I also had fun in Pirates of the Carribean and Talledega Nights. Should they have been nominated too? Expand
  19. ZachG
    Oct 18, 2006
    It's a wonder Scorsese can be so monotonic and still be considered a great director. The script's quite witty and the plot's awesome, but towards the end Scorsese is obliged to drag the ending in order to get some puddles of blood in. Also, some multi-dimensional characters would be nice.
  20. NathanaelC
    Jul 29, 2007
    Alright lets not lose our heads here.... this was far from being an awful movie however it did have flaws. Basically when Dicaprio is the best gangsta we have a problem. I mean give me pesci deniro and liotta anyday over these pretty boys.
  21. Aug 16, 2010
    Not as good as Scorsese's transcendant "Goodfellas", but what film could be compared to that masterpiece other than "The Godfather"? It's pretty shocking to see that this is the only film directed by Scorsese that ever won Best Picture (not that it matters), because I can think of four or five films that I prefer of his over "The Departed". Maybe what this film does more than anything isNot as good as Scorsese's transcendant "Goodfellas", but what film could be compared to that masterpiece other than "The Godfather"? It's pretty shocking to see that this is the only film directed by Scorsese that ever won Best Picture (not that it matters), because I can think of four or five films that I prefer of his over "The Departed". Maybe what this film does more than anything is show how illustrious and superb Scorsese's career has been. Expand
  22. Sep 27, 2010
    very very very good film problem is i gave it a 7 only because he stole the idea from another film which means i have to mark it down i would have given it like a 9
  23. Dec 25, 2011
    Overall Movie: 8 Acting: 9 Storyline: 7 Although there are gaps in the storyline, the ferocious acting makes this crime drama a hit. The only Scorsese film this beats is Taxi Driver. I'm afraid Raging Bull and Goodfellas are better.
  24. Aug 30, 2013
    It was good. It is a classic Crime Picture, but it is not for 10. In every dialogue we can see that there is a bad word. I like bad words in movies but not so many!!
  25. PaulB.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Excellent acting/great script/good camera work. It does NOT seem like 2.5 hours long!!!
  26. RandyL.
    Oct 10, 2006
    Very bloody which is not my cup of tea. The acting is excellent and the ending is a bit contrived. But this is still a very good movie, not great mind you, but very, very good. DiCaprio comes of age as one of America's best actors.
  27. scotth
    Dec 23, 2006
    One of best stories seen in the movies over the past years. Keeps you in the edge for 2/3 of the movie - yet does not completely satisfy.
  28. Mike
    Oct 3, 2006
    While a very good movie, I found some of the basic elements of the plot hard to believe. Just a couple kinks ironed out and this is a movie that lived up to the hype. But, as it stands, it is only an almost.
  29. J.
    Oct 5, 2006
    Marty's best in 15 years, a blistering slow-burner of a movie. The final minutes are among the best ever in ANY movie. Don't miss it for the world!
  30. DanA.
    Oct 6, 2006
    Scorsese's best effort in years - nearly as good as Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, and likely the equal of Goodfellas.

A new American crime classic from the legendary Martin Scorsese, whose talent shines here on its highest beams.
  2. A ferociously entertaining film.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This reworking of a popular Hong Kong picture pulses with energy, tangy dialogue and crackling performances from a fine cast.