7.9

1. ok
    Nov 25, 2006
    DiCaprio gives his best turn yet in what is likely the best movie of 2006. Fantastic.
  2. SulH.
    Nov 28, 2006
    Now THIS is how drama is done. Leo deserves an Oscar, here's hoping he actually gets it, too.
  3. WalkerR.
    Oct 14, 2006
    Brilliant flick! Trust me.
  4. N.A.
    Oct 16, 2006
    The best movie of the year. Great casting, never a dull moment. Smart script, great performances and wonderful score.
  5. Enrique
    Oct 16, 2006
    So far, the best movie of the year.
  6. MikeR
    Oct 17, 2006
    Another fine film from our greatest living director
  7. AnnL.
    Nov 9, 2006
    One of hte best movies i've seen in my life. beautifully acted by dicaprio, nicholson, and damon. Amazingly edited.
  8. Jon
    Dec 29, 2006
    I loved this movie another instant classic.
  9. TimM.
    Oct 23, 2006
    wow. holy freakin crap. words do not do this film justice. this is a freakin masterpiece. one of the best films this year?... my ass. one of the best films in 10 years. this movie will blow you away. i have zero complaints whatsoever. it could not have been better. i will definitely go see it again soon.
  10. KishaG
    Oct 25, 2006
    Leaving the theater after this movie I was quite awe stuck . The actors all played their roles excellently. I was emotionally connected with Leonardo DiCaprio's character throughout the film. Matt Damon was very good also, I even found myself hating his character, the first time I have ever hated him in a movie. Even supporting players like Alec Baldwin, Mark Walhberg, and Martin Leaving the theater after this movie I was quite awe stuck . The actors all played their roles excellently. I was emotionally connected with Leonardo DiCaprio's character throughout the film. Matt Damon was very good also, I even found myself hating his character, the first time I have ever hated him in a movie. Even supporting players like Alec Baldwin, Mark Walhberg, and Martin Sheen play their roles nicely. The writing was good and Scorscese always picks the right classic rock songs for the action on screen. Give Marty his Oscar, this may not be his best - Raging Bull is my personal pick- but it is time he is rewarded for his work. I have seen it twice and definitely can see it more. Expand
  11. Silvra
    Nov 25, 2007
    Scorsese does it again; proving to us not for the first time that he truly is the king of crime drama. DiCaprio brings life to the role of Billy, and Nicholson is certainly in his prime during the shooting of this movie, and ultimately makes the movie such the success I believe it is (or should be). The cast all together makes this film an artistic (extremely violent and crude) Scorsese does it again; proving to us not for the first time that he truly is the king of crime drama. DiCaprio brings life to the role of Billy, and Nicholson is certainly in his prime during the shooting of this movie, and ultimately makes the movie such the success I believe it is (or should be). The cast all together makes this film an artistic (extremely violent and crude) masterpiece. But truly, would you have the film any other way? Swearing and violence and murder and vulgarity give the movie a gritty charm that draws viewers to it whenever it's on the television screen. The script was wonderfully written, and Scorsese executed it marvelously on the screen. While I doubt anyone was expecting the ending, (I know I sat through the rest of the movie in half-shock, after the main character's untimely death) it too adds to the movie's charm. These people do not value human life, they are out to win, they are out to be the best, and they are going to kill any man who attempts to hand them otherwise. Scorsese captures this rat-eat-rat world perfectly, and I wouldn't have anyone but him directing this urban nightmare onto my screen. --Yours Truly, Silvra. Expand
  12. SnakeP.
    Jan 14, 2007
    An absolute masterpiece!!! Light yeas better than the HK version. Some refuse to admit or accept its triumph and grandeur cos they're simply too anti-hollywood. Departed excels greatly in characterization and narrative. The original Infernal Affairs is purely plot with practically no meat to the characters. Look at it this way, anyone who keeps whinning that 'Leo is no An absolute masterpiece!!! Light yeas better than the HK version. Some refuse to admit or accept its triumph and grandeur cos they're simply too anti-hollywood. Departed excels greatly in characterization and narrative. The original Infernal Affairs is purely plot with practically no meat to the characters. Look at it this way, anyone who keeps whinning that 'Leo is no Tony' or 'Matt is no Andy', doesn't get jack about the fact that they're not supposed to even emulate them. Both Leo and Matt carry their roles well beyond the two-dimensional arcs of Tony Leung and Andy Lau. It's only in Infernal Affairs 2 and 3 do viewers actually get some inside into their characters. Hence the unjust comparison. People inadverdantly compare all three Infernal Affairs movies with Departed which is literally unfair! I.A. was never even meant to be a trilogy to begin with, only until after the first one was so successful. So to be true and proper, Departed should only be put head to head with Infernal Affairs Part1. And in that respect, Departed wins hands down. Some say Departed's getting some extra acclaim only because critics want Scorsese to get the oscar but I don't think this is true. Departed is much better than his previous attempts like Aviator and Gangs of New York. This is definitely Scorsese's time to shine and we should let the great man garner his long-overdue Oscar! Expand
  13. KentErickson
    Jan 23, 2007
    Wow Rayman so the Chinese made a movie and Scorcesse took the idea and made a movie of it, big deal get a life buddy. I want to see all the IA movies but havent had time, but when I do see them I'm not going to be thinking the whole time "Gee how is this like the Departed, in this acting sequence of this part of the movie at the 44:56 point of the movie it is different" like you wereWow Rayman so the Chinese made a movie and Scorcesse took the idea and made a movie of it, big deal get a life buddy. I want to see all the IA movies but havent had time, but when I do see them I'm not going to be thinking the whole time "Gee how is this like the Departed, in this acting sequence of this part of the movie at the 44:56 point of the movie it is different" like you were probably doing during the Departed. Scorsese made a good film that was fun to watch and great performances made it great, behind Letters From Iwo Jima this is the best picture of the year, but Martin will lose out again, Clint will win best director, and rightfully so. Expand
  14. Favre4Life
    Feb 14, 2007
    Y'all are CRAZY that voted this movie lower than an 8. WHATCH IT AGAIN- you obviously missed a whole lot- great acting-great story-love the ending.
  15. Sambistagirl
    Feb 15, 2007
    This was a great movie. It was so exciting and I loved how the tension built till the end. I will not be unhappy if it wins the oscar for best picture. If you haven't seen it and you don't mind a "24" like body count, you must see this picture.
  16. CharltonP.
    Feb 28, 2007
    It's about time. I thought I'd have to give up watching movies altogether. Only a fool could dislike this movie.
  17. IrateMovies
    Mar 12, 2007
    I saw this movie opening day and I bet my friend $20 that it would at least be nominated for best picture of the year. I am now $20 dollars richer and a happy owner of this terrific movie.
  18. DanA.
    Mar 26, 2007
    The Departed is set in Boston where the streets are full of crime and owned by major gangland boss Frank Costello, plyed by a wonderfully evil Jack Nicholson. The state police force want his gone for good and send in young undercover
    cop Billy Costigan (Leonardo Dicaprio) to inflitrate Costello and his gang. On the other side is Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) now a growing and well respected cop, Sullivan works for Costello and is feeding him information from inside the police force. Both Billy and Colin must lead double lifes and stay one ahead of each other so they can expose the other and save their own skin, the race is on to find the mole in Internal Affairs and Costello's gang. Martin Scorsese's The Departed is a amazing mobster thiller, on the same level as 1990's Goodfellas. The film centers around Boston's mobsters and cops. The all-star cast turns in stunning prefromances, This is Scorsese's best film since 1995's Casino. The film has it fair share of twist and turns, Martin Scorsese adds to the film with his directing, the characters are strangly and outrageusly wonderful. The Departed is a film in which, you love everything, the dialogue, violince, humor, perfromances and twists.Overall, The Departed is exciting, violent, bloody, funny, clever and thrilling. Simply amazing. Martin Scorsese should definitely win Best Director for this, without a doubt The film also has one of the best ensemble cast, which includes such talent as, Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Alec Baldwin, Ray Winstone, and Martin Sheen. Highly recomended. This is 2006's best film.
  19. PatC.
    Mar 28, 2007
    I watched this only because it got the Best Picture Oscar. I found it difficult to absorb in the first viewing. It is a rehash of the action and themes of Gangs of New York. However, this time Scorsese got it right. It is always focused and intelligent. Though the film is slightly long, the editing is a thing of beauty, almost too tight as it pounds out the plot while allowing little time I watched this only because it got the Best Picture Oscar. I found it difficult to absorb in the first viewing. It is a rehash of the action and themes of Gangs of New York. However, this time Scorsese got it right. It is always focused and intelligent. Though the film is slightly long, the editing is a thing of beauty, almost too tight as it pounds out the plot while allowing little time to sort out its implications. The exacting direction of the gaggle of prominent actors without tolerating their individual personality dispositions can only be described as exemplary. I do not think this film got the Oscar in deference to Scorsese's previous work, which is substantial and admirable. This is an exceptional film in its own right, is as broadly appealling and profound as a Shakespearean work, and should grow in stature and recognition over the years. By the time one has digested this movie, one may realize that the police captain's directive to "smash or marginally disrupt crime" is not so much a quip as two ways to describe the single process described by the story. As one who has been continually frustrated when Scorsese barely missed the mark, I say again This time he got it Right. Expand
  20. KevinX.
    Apr 13, 2007
    Scorsese makes it his own, from the vivid pop soundtrack to the seething paranoia and spasms of brutal violence. The cast is uniformly excellent, with Ray Winstone a standout as Mr. French, Costello's red right hand.
  21. MonitordeSalsaBitche
    Apr 13, 2007
    Everything is Oscar worthy, from the cinematography, to editing, to the screenplay, acting, score, everything. The film is so well crafted that at almost 3 hours long, it doesn't seem to matter, and you even expect more. I never had so much fun and disgust with a crime movie in years. Definitely the best movie of the year so far.
  22. TaureanR.
    Apr 13, 2007
    Engrossing and intense gangster film set in present-day Boston with a strong plot, lots of interesting dialogue, and excellent acting. DiCaprio and Nicholson are standouts in a cast that seems to include half the A list Hollywood stars. This is the best movie I have seen this year. Scorcese scores again. Minor nits: some of the romantic dialogue between Matt Damon's character and his Engrossing and intense gangster film set in present-day Boston with a strong plot, lots of interesting dialogue, and excellent acting. DiCaprio and Nicholson are standouts in a cast that seems to include half the A list Hollywood stars. This is the best movie I have seen this year. Scorcese scores again. Minor nits: some of the romantic dialogue between Matt Damon's character and his love interest came off as forced and unconvincing, and occasionally Jack Nicholson's acting bordered on ham. Expand
  23. WillI.am
    Apr 13, 2007
    Martin Scorsese's very fine remake of the HK film 'Infernal Affairs' Crackling screenplay from William Monahan and superb acting from all involved. Top notch piece of entertainment that's a highlight of 2006 films.
  24. JonZ.
    Apr 14, 2007
    Why was it voted best picture? This is one of the most briliant and unique films ever made. Martin Scorsese truly scores on his this movie about a corrupt cop and a snitch working against each other to figure out who they are contending. Bravo.
  25. IainF
    Jan 15, 2009
    Why isn't Wahlberg mentioned at all? His performance was the best of his career, and one of my favourite characters, after Nicholson's of course, but no one out does the master. Scorsese encorporates various tricks and devices evident in his other films, and all of this on top of a sharp, witty script and believable acting from all the cast (except Baldwin... Urgh), this film is Why isn't Wahlberg mentioned at all? His performance was the best of his career, and one of my favourite characters, after Nicholson's of course, but no one out does the master. Scorsese encorporates various tricks and devices evident in his other films, and all of this on top of a sharp, witty script and believable acting from all the cast (except Baldwin... Urgh), this film is a must see. Goodfella's it most certainly is not, but it comes close, and that's near impossible. Expand
  26. KyleB
    Aug 15, 2009
    Amazing movie. The actors they got for this movie were all terrific. The directing and writing in this movie was fantastic and the overall plot was awesome. BRAVO!
  27. SandroD.
    Nov 12, 2006
    The movie it´s awsome!!who likes "the godfellas" have to adore this movie.
  28. NishanthE
    Nov 23, 2006
    Best movie in 2006 by a long way. Watched it thrice on big screen and still waitin to see it again. Keeps you riveted. Amazing cast. Scorsese has churned out yet another Oscar contender. Brilliant stuff!
  29. KipM.
    Dec 19, 2006
    As a relative virgin to the greatness of Scorsese, how great was it to know he's more than lived up to his legendary status. For years, everyone's talked about the travesty that Scorsese still has no Oscar, but unlike "The Aviator" or "Gangs of New York," Marty's definitely the front-runner this year, especially since Clint Eastwood won just two short years ago. But As a relative virgin to the greatness of Scorsese, how great was it to know he's more than lived up to his legendary status. For years, everyone's talked about the travesty that Scorsese still has no Oscar, but unlike "The Aviator" or "Gangs of New York," Marty's definitely the front-runner this year, especially since Clint Eastwood won just two short years ago. But that's not all: "The Departed" is chock full of terrific acting, more so than is usually required from a crime picture. Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson in particular give some of their greatest on-screen work. And DiCaprio, with the most difficult role keeps his demons under control until just the right moments to reveal a multi-layered performance. All 3 should be considered serious contenders this Oscar season. Oh, and Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin are also great. Sure, the film's bleak, but boy is it powerful. Expand
  30. JasonB.
    Dec 19, 2006
    This Movie is one of the best on the past decade. Excellent job.
  31. Sep 26, 2010
    Martin Scorsese did a masterful job on this movie. The way that he first of all got such great talent together on film was amazing. The actual story line is quite entertaining and keeps you wondering whats going to happen next. Overall, it's one of the best movies to come out that year.
  32. Aug 16, 2010
    Not as good as Scorsese's transcendant "Goodfellas", but what film could be compared to that masterpiece other than "The Godfather"? It's pretty shocking to see that this is the only film directed by Scorsese that ever won Best Picture (not that it matters), because I can think of four or five films that I prefer of his over "The Departed". Maybe what this film does more than anything isNot as good as Scorsese's transcendant "Goodfellas", but what film could be compared to that masterpiece other than "The Godfather"? It's pretty shocking to see that this is the only film directed by Scorsese that ever won Best Picture (not that it matters), because I can think of four or five films that I prefer of his over "The Departed". Maybe what this film does more than anything is show how illustrious and superb Scorsese's career has been. Expand
  33. Sep 12, 2010
    This movie had me on the edge of my seat literally the whole time i watched it. Great story, great cast, and great action. The thing i like best about this movie is how they kept it pretty life like. No one took twelve bullets to the chest and kept on walking around.
  34. Jun 23, 2012
    The Departed is a masterpiece: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson are wonderful together. And I'm Shipping Up To Boston is a wonderful song for a soundtrack.
  35. Nov 2, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Solid performances from all actors but once again DiCaprio especially impresses me. He's undercover, struggling with unimaginable anxiety and paranoia which he barely manages to keep a lid on through abuse of anxiolytics and he delivers us a solid and believable character.
    Mark Wahlberg's outrageous swearing and in-your-face attitude reminds us there are few, if any, true heroes out there. Faced with the reality of sociopathic criminals and blood-ridden crime scenes even the good guys get gritty. And on the topic of sociopathy, Jack Nicholson unflinchingly becomes the personification of depravity. For me, the graphic violence and bad language is justified: these are men pushed to their limits. And the death of the characters (especially the unexpected death of DiCaprio's character) is shocking and therefore the violence of their deaths should also be shocking.
  36. Nov 25, 2010
    the best movie of 06 no doubt, with all the stars and egos involved, there was always the risk it may not quite work but it was well done and made for an awesome, action drama, well done scorcese :)
  37. Aug 13, 2011
    Never before has a movie left me gasping in amazement. It's the movie equivalent of that rare sort of novel where you find yourself checking to see how many pages are left and hoping there are more, not fewer.
  38. Jan 16, 2011
    One of Scorsese's most brilliant works. It may be an adaptation, but the rebirth is stronger like a phoenix. Strong, strong acting, excellent directing, and involving storyline make this mob thriller one of the highlight films of the year.
  39. Jun 2, 2011
    Brilliant. An all star cast. Brutal realism. One of the most developed screenplays I've ever seen. This film amazes me and lends itself to mandatory repeated viewings. So much is going on here, but it is all the better for it.
  40. Jul 9, 2011
    One of the best movies of the decade. Leonardo di caprio is as good as hell. Jack and matt are awesome as always. Very strong plot and acting is to the point. Way better than the orignal
  41. Mar 19, 2012
    The film is not a film like taxi driver or Raging bull but, it is instead a regular crime thriller film with scorcesse's special touch. This film would have been just an average film if it werent for 2 things. Scorcesse's direction and the acting ensemble. The films writting is also masterful but, it works extremely well because of the acting. Overall a great film.
  42. Jun 28, 2011
    This movie is without overstating or lying my favorite movie and in my opinion, the best movie I have ever seen. A lot of people will complain because it is not as good as the Hong Kong version, but look at the differences in the respect and success each have been given. The Departed was a great movie. Internal Affairs may have been a good movie but it could not match the passion orThis movie is without overstating or lying my favorite movie and in my opinion, the best movie I have ever seen. A lot of people will complain because it is not as good as the Hong Kong version, but look at the differences in the respect and success each have been given. The Departed was a great movie. Internal Affairs may have been a good movie but it could not match the passion or brilliance of this movie. Expand
  43. Jul 6, 2011
    Being a bit skeptical going into this movie knowing that it is going to be a bloodbath and use f*** as a space-marker, the story telling, acting, and overall plot totally diverts your attention away from the gruesomeness. DiCaprio's performance deserved and Oscar as well as Scorsese's direction. Brilliant movie.
  44. j30
    Feb 13, 2012
    A first rate, white knuckle thrill ride from the great Martin Scorsese. Not only does The Departed build off the excellent original (Infernal Affairs) but it has a tour de force of acting performances from Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg, and Jack Nicholson. Scorsese is at his best, there is not a dull moment in it's 151 minute run time.
  45. Aug 31, 2011
    i've never seen a more gritty and dramatic insight into mob families. will brilliant performances from the entire cast. this is a brilliant action packed movie. brilliantly directed by scorcese, this is one of my favourites.
  46. Sep 6, 2011
    What can I say? Martin is a genius. Perfectly casted, directed, written. Why are some people giving it 1/10? It's almost an insult to give it a low score like that. The movie is brilliant
  47. Sep 18, 2011
    This Oscar-winner was a great disappointment. Implausible plot (the Matt Damon character recruited by gangsters specifically to be a mole in the police? has that ever happened? Thought not). Jack Nicholson playing the same hammy old character he's been playing for the last 20 years. Casting Ray Wimstone as an American gangster? How crazy is that? Nicholson's moll is there just to massageThis Oscar-winner was a great disappointment. Implausible plot (the Matt Damon character recruited by gangsters specifically to be a mole in the police? has that ever happened? Thought not). Jack Nicholson playing the same hammy old character he's been playing for the last 20 years. Casting Ray Wimstone as an American gangster? How crazy is that? Nicholson's moll is there just to massage Nicholson's ego (and other places). The police shrink slows the plot down whenever she's on - she's only there to "prove" that Scorsese hasn't got a problem with women. The multiple shootings at the end were absurd, and as a viewer I didn't care about a single one of the deaths. And that porn theatre? Worst anachronism ever. Proof, if proof were needed, that the more "stars" a film has the worse it is. Expand
  48. Feb 2, 2013
    "I don't want to be product of my environment..I want my environment to be a product of me". Not only were these the first words uttered in this fantastic piece of cinema, but they are words that Martin Scorsese has lived and filmed by for his illustrious career.
    The Departed is another gold star on an almost flawless report for the director. He utilises superb story-telling, wonderfully diverse characters with exploding personalities and enough profanity to curl the greasiest of hairs, its not just the dark side of crime, its also the darkest side of the law.
    A remake of Hong Kong film 'Internal Affairs', we see mob supremo Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson) luring young Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) to a life of crime to the end of him graduating from police academy and infiltrating the Massachusetts State Police, but Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) is playing the same game, being asked by Captain Queenan (Martin Sheen) and Sergeant Dignam (Mark Whalberg) of the SIU unit within the police, to infiltrate Costellos gang due to his families ties wthin the mob.
    What follows is a truly dangerous game, asking the audience just how much you can handle while under this much pressure.
    Every star in this 149 minute show puts in an Oscar worthy performance, whether it me Whalbergs fantastically profanity-laced speeches, Alec Baldwin fast-paced speaking, Sheen's cold-hearted stance against the criminals he hunts ('Any of you mugs got a light") or whether it is the almost psychotic Nicholson who improvised a complete scene in this movie, but its perhaps the two centred performers who steal the show, Damon is and easy going within the police force, while Dicaprio is fearing for his life every single day he infiltrates.
    Scorsese does an excellent job telling an almost even side to each story, but it is ultimately down to the fast paced story and cat and mouse near-misses that set this film up as one of the greatest of the decade, the performances in particular set it apart from other dramas of the same genre.
    One Scorsese picture that cannot be forgotten
  49. Dec 30, 2011
    The best film I've ever seen. This picture has it all: good, exciting story, great actors, action, humor, love and good music. Dicaprio did a BRILLIANT job, top actor, if he isn't the best. I know, some might think I'm exaggerating, but I'm sure that I'm not. Enjoy this piece of art, you won't regret it.
  50. Apr 1, 2012
    This is a 10 out of 10 movie. A great mobster movie showing the American dream. Acting is pretty good. Story is really good, and so is the score. Overall, this is a really, really great movie. You really should watch this movie.
  51. Jul 8, 2012
    This is a great movie for anyone who likes a good entertaining movie. The way the story lines fit together was great, and the ending was amazing, I would suggest this to anyone who likes a good action movie.
  52. Jan 22, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece from director Martin Scorsese. Probably one of the most tense, edge-of-your seat thrillers ever made. The performances from Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, and Matt Damon really add a lot to the suspense, too.
  53. Oct 15, 2012
    The Departed heralds Martin Scorsese's return to the top of his game and simultaneously secures for the film a place in the pantheon of the very best of American crime cinema. Welcome back to Scorsese's mean streets.
  54. Nov 7, 2012
    Scorsese's The Departed is a new American crime classic. Every aspect of the film flows together so easily from the first frame to when the credits roll, making it compulsively watchable.
  55. Jul 11, 2013
    Riveting suspense and brilliant storytelling describe this masterpiece. I watched this movie only for Leonardo DiCaprio but felt like Damon, Nicholson and Wahlberg acted on the same level if not better. The music was captivating. The psychiatrist subplot felt a bit contrived but it shed so much light on Costigan's character that I didn't really care. I would accept it as coincidence if theRiveting suspense and brilliant storytelling describe this masterpiece. I watched this movie only for Leonardo DiCaprio but felt like Damon, Nicholson and Wahlberg acted on the same level if not better. The music was captivating. The psychiatrist subplot felt a bit contrived but it shed so much light on Costigan's character that I didn't really care. I would accept it as coincidence if the result is this brilliant. Expand
  56. Feb 14, 2013
    Scorsese made again a masterpiece that blow you're mind. Everything on this movie is smart, the story, the cast, and the characters. Good story and an unexpected end. Very good movie.
  57. Jun 12, 2013
    A mesmerizing film with an excellent ensemble cast. It is certainly Martin Scorsese's best, along with his films "Taxi Driver", "Raging Bull" and "Goodfellas". Don't miss this film.
  58. Jan 28, 2013
    This movies is just amazing, Is on the pantheon with Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and Goodfellas. Take your breath away and amazing performances. Well deserved the Oscar!! And off course one of the best films of 2000s.
  59. Mar 23, 2013
    As said Peter Travers of Rolling Stone. is a new American crime classic from the legendary Martin Scorsese, whose talent shines here in its highest beams.
    This film is a true masterpiece of Mr. Scorsese, if you know the amazing movie direct a police-criminal in addition to adapt a script to give us a glorious orgasm film called The Departed.
    The story development only increases all the
    The story development only increases all the virtues that contains this tape, to reach a final height of the circumstances because he has all the elements to declare it as the movie of 2006.
    It's not just the plot (what script!), Is the atmosphere, the tension, the fast pace, the harshness, hardness and action, great performances. Any meeting of the leadership quality in the acting and how to bring such a complex history.
    In this film should not only nominated, but rewarding in all the glorious prize Starring Leonardo Dicaprio because now if I can achieve much more than majestual, really epic, clear that Jack Nicholson is like a fish in the water doing what she likes be a perfect bastard, at home and in their actions.
    Damon also does very well, shows us that we can give a good taste in their movies and last but not least the myriad of side is superb: from Mark Wahlberg Martin Sheen, all make this film is (or at least should) be remembered for raising so much wasted talent.
    Undoubtedly, one of the best films of the decade 2000.
  60. Aug 20, 2013
    Scorsese scores again with this intense crime thriller. Truly Scorsese's best mobster film since "Goodfellas". It's filled with fantastic acting, great screenplay and an intriguing story. Overall, it's a Scorsese film with a bit more pizazz. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  61. May 4, 2013
    Martin Scorsece's best film, by far. One of my favorite movies, the entire cast knocked it out of the park, especially Jack Nicholson. Scorcese's best film since Goodfellas.
  62. Sep 15, 2013
    I can't shake the feeling of how much this movie reminds me of "Goodfellas".

The Departed is a slam-bam thriller, exceeding my expectations, which were already very high. The way Scorcese moves between scenes and plays this movie up is genius. The script is excellent, providing rich dialogue to move the gripping story along, and the cinematography is just wonderful. The angles and
    I can't shake the feeling of how much this movie reminds me of "Goodfellas".

The script is excellent, providing rich dialogue to move the gripping story along, and the cinematography is just wonderful. The angles and style of filming that Martin Scorcese is famous for emanates here, shining brighter than films of kin.

The acting is just amazing, with a star-studded cast that delivers the goods, and then some. I enjoyed Matt Damon in the title roll, and Leonardo DiCaprio trails right behind him. Jack Nicholson brings charisma to the roll of Frank Costello, and executes with Oscar-worthy style. I especially liked Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin's loose cannon-like characters. They provided a stunning edge to an already sharp blade of a film.

I can go on and on about everything else that is good in this movie, how it all clicks together, but I suggest you watch it for yourself if you haven't already, and find out what all the hype is about! I would give it more than 100 if I could.
  63. Jan 2, 2014
    One of the greatest movies I've ever seen. The plot behind this movie portrays Whitey Bulger which makes the movie interesting. When I saw that Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg were in this movie I knew I had to see it. I was blown away at how amazing this movie was. This is number two on my favorite movies of all time (Argo is my favorite movie!) IF you haven't seen thisOne of the greatest movies I've ever seen. The plot behind this movie portrays Whitey Bulger which makes the movie interesting. When I saw that Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg were in this movie I knew I had to see it. I was blown away at how amazing this movie was. This is number two on my favorite movies of all time (Argo is my favorite movie!) IF you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend you to watch this movie. It will be an intense experience. Expand
  64. Jun 16, 2014
    A truly drama, crime thriller masterpiece in which cops and criminals struggle to find out the mole inside their own forces in an attempt to finish their businesses smoothly. While Billy Costigan gradually loses his former personality due to playing the character of a criminal for too long, Colin Sullivan works on a new plan to both get rid of his boss, "godfather" Frank Costello and theA truly drama, crime thriller masterpiece in which cops and criminals struggle to find out the mole inside their own forces in an attempt to finish their businesses smoothly. While Billy Costigan gradually loses his former personality due to playing the character of a criminal for too long, Colin Sullivan works on a new plan to both get rid of his boss, "godfather" Frank Costello and the informer who has infiltrated Frank's gang. I was a bit disappointed by the end of the film; Billy died trying to avenge the death of his captain, Queenan. But I still think the movie is great because Sergeant Dignam, eventually, successfully kills Colin as a worthy punishment of this smart-street criminal. Wonderful flick that i would recommend to anyone looking for a crime blockbuster Expand
  65. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Departed is absolutely the best movie by director Martin Scorsese (in my opinion). There was never a dull moment during the 152 minutes you'd use to watch this film.
  66. May 14, 2014
    great movie, suspenseful great plot the acting in this this is great flawless performances by everyone this movie stays interesting the character development was great. worth buying a copy of 9/10
  67. TEM
    May 21, 2014
    My favorite film of all time. Leonardo DiCaprio delivers his best performance which is saying a great deal considering all the great performances he has delivered. Martin Scorsese is at his best and leads an all star cast through an amazingly perfect story. From beginning to end this movie never slows down or sees a dull moment.
  68. Jan 17, 2015
    I don't know if it was supposed to be a serious film or what, but I did laugh a heck lot. The screenplay was really engrossing.

And it is simply put, unpredictable, and balanced. A simple thing, enhanced, as most have noticed. Scorsese and, definitely, Nicholson, took it away.
  69. Mar 31, 2015
    It may seem weird to say, but this is my favorite Scorsese Film. I know Scorsese's filmography is amazing, but the blend of humor, witty dialogue, great acting, and a plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat right up until the unpredictable ending create a true modern masterpiece. The hilarious dialogue, is matched only by the great soundtrack which is both area, and time appropriate.It may seem weird to say, but this is my favorite Scorsese Film. I know Scorsese's filmography is amazing, but the blend of humor, witty dialogue, great acting, and a plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat right up until the unpredictable ending create a true modern masterpiece. The hilarious dialogue, is matched only by the great soundtrack which is both area, and time appropriate. All of this combined makes the Departed one of my favorite films of all time. Expand
  70. PaulB.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Excellent acting/great script/good camera work. It does NOT seem like 2.5 hours long!!!
  71. DanA.
    Oct 6, 2006
    Scorsese's best effort in years - nearly as good as Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, and likely the equal of Goodfellas.
  72. FilazaferX.
    Feb 26, 2007
    The movie is highly entertaining, but the ending was terrible. It's that simple. I was a prime example of writing a movie, but not knowing how to end it. It was just plan silly and very disappointing.
  73. JeanP.
    Oct 17, 2006
    One of the best movies I've seen in a very, very long time. Acting, directing, screenplay all Oscar Material
  74. BilB.
    Dec 10, 2006
    Jack gave a flawless performance. Leo was torn up, put thru the ringer, and pulled it off excellently. I'm glad I saw this on the big screen and not waited for the DVD.
  75. MattY.
    Oct 20, 2006
    Long nap? are you kidding? how can you sleep through this awesomely acted, well performed performances of Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Matt Damon? And Alec Baldwin is totally gold in this film. This is definitely one of the best films made this year. DEFINITELY. Write it down. "Huh. She fell funny." - Frank Costello
  76. KishoreKraleti
    Oct 6, 2006
    Best thing about it is, it always keeps you guessing. As we go into it, it explains events building screenplay. It
  77. LindaH.
    Feb 18, 2007
    Finally Leonardo plays a manly role, no sissy in this excellent work by Scorcese. Nicholson overplays his role & tweeks the movie audience. Wahlberg - good guy or a rat? Entertaining movie throughout, but not for the kiddies.
  78. Harry
    Mar 24, 2007
    "I'll get the rat!" is one of the most memorable quotes of Martin Scorsese's latest gangster film "The Departed". This film can be seen in many ways, it can be see as an atmosphere of the contemporary urban gangster places and lives, as a cat and mice game, as a thrilling ride or as the way we would feel if we were an inhuman gangster with no feeling. What makes "The Departed" "I'll get the rat!" is one of the most memorable quotes of Martin Scorsese's latest gangster film "The Departed". This film can be seen in many ways, it can be see as an atmosphere of the contemporary urban gangster places and lives, as a cat and mice game, as a thrilling ride or as the way we would feel if we were an inhuman gangster with no feeling. What makes "The Departed" such a great film is that every time you see it, you follow one of the character's stories and have different feelings. The first time I saw it, I felt like a bad guy following Costello's life and the second time, I felt like an emotionally drained and desperate character following Costigan's life. What makes "The Departed" such a complete film is Scorsese's thrilling directing of violent gangster scenes, and emotions, making us enter a puzzle were we always get stunned as we learn the different things that get revealed. Monahan's script is a brilliant piece, making for the first time, an action film were even the police looks like crap, a very realistic and vulgar dialogue and an ending that isn't like one of a traditional Hollywood film, but more like a contemporary Shakespeare one were everyone dies. The ensemble plays a key part making us forget their poplar names and convincing the audience of their character. The standouts are obviously DiCaprio and Nicholson, being the two characters of which I followed their story. Giving a style of classic rock music and arranging the pieces of the puzzle to get even more surprised make part of Thelma Schoonamer's perfect editing. All and all, "The Departed" is one of the best films of the year. Expand
  79. ND
    Apr 1, 2007
    Awesome movie - girlfriend loved it too and she doesnt normally like these type of films.
  80. TylerC.
    Feb 6, 2008
    DiCaprio, Damon, and Nicholson make one of the most badass trios in cinematic history (as far as I've seen). Definitely watch this one, Scorsese is amazing.
  81. RickyQ.
    Nov 1, 2006
    Great story, great acting, great film.
  82. IvanC.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Great movie, best I have seen this year!
  83. PBC
    Oct 13, 2006
    A smashing good one from the maestro. Let
  84. Eon
    Nov 4, 2006
    What a nice return to the good stuff from the director. I don't think it's his best since "Goodfellas" ( I think "Casino" is) , but it is really one of his best. And definitely best Dicaprio's work.
  85. LarryM.
    Oct 15, 2006
    It's rare to see a movie this well made anymore.
  86. Keyser
    Oct 16, 2006
    Great Film! It's refreshing to see a movie that doesn't rely on special f/x but instead a strong story and great acting.
  87. MarcD.
    Oct 18, 2006
    An extremely well done movie on all counts. This might be Scorsese's last chance at nabbing him an Oscar. The performances are all brilliant, but DiCaprio shines as Costigan.
  88. Josak
    Oct 20, 2006
    Excellent movie; I can't say its on par with
  89. JIMW.
    Oct 20, 2006
    Nicholson at his gritty best. Other cast members all hitting their marks. Great "guy" movie. Not for the faint-of-heart.
  90. MattA.
    Oct 22, 2006
    This movie is incredible. Dicaprio once again proves he is the best actor of his generation (not that ridiculous hack Sean Penn, see All the Kings Men for his typical stuff). People say it's good but not on par with Casino or Goodfellas. It is better than Casino and right up there with Goodfellas. Improves on the Chinese orginial in story and directing departments, but especially in This movie is incredible. Dicaprio once again proves he is the best actor of his generation (not that ridiculous hack Sean Penn, see All the Kings Men for his typical stuff). People say it's good but not on par with Casino or Goodfellas. It is better than Casino and right up there with Goodfellas. Improves on the Chinese orginial in story and directing departments, but especially in the acting. Great movie. Expand
  91. DanB.
    Oct 31, 2006
    About the only thing I can say against this movie is that it was pure entertainment, and didn't have much depth. If it somehow made statements about the human condition, or whatever, and managed to be as entertaining, it would get a ten. But it didn't. Well--with that kind of flaw, I can live. This movie and everyone in it is awesome.
  92. PashaL.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Scorsese returns to his gangster roots and knocks it out of the park. Leo really lets loose and proves he is one of the best actors working today. Matt, Alec and Jack are all spectacular as well
  93. EdK.
    Oct 7, 2006
    Not the masterpiece Goodfellas was, but A very entertaining well acted film.
  94. RobR
    Oct 7, 2006
    Not a great movie, possibly Scorsese's least personal (and profound) feature, but HIGHLY entertaining. I don't think the ending was terrible. May seem that way at first, but I think it's meant to be ridiculous, especially given that tongue-in-cheek ending.
  95. TaureanR.
  96. FayeD.
    Mar 28, 2007
    I have to say that a lot of you are being way too harsh regarding Martin Scorsese and his directing of the film "The Departed". This was an amazing return for him to what he does best, making gangster films. I loved every minute of the film when i watched it. Although Costello was played a little O.T.T. by Nicholson at times. I'v also gladly watched the film again and again for the I have to say that a lot of you are being way too harsh regarding Martin Scorsese and his directing of the film "The Departed". This was an amazing return for him to what he does best, making gangster films. I loved every minute of the film when i watched it. Although Costello was played a little O.T.T. by Nicholson at times. I'v also gladly watched the film again and again for the twists and turns in the plot which was based on the real-life gangster of Boston, John 'Whitey' Bulger. There was also the wonderful acting by the cast of Nicholson, DiCaprio, Damon, Wahlberg, Baldwin and Sheen. Along with the well played female role amongst many males, Vera Farmiga, as Madolyn. Yes, the violence is not of the quality we're all used to from past Scorsese gangsters, but thats because his approach has differed. During the 70s the violence was very strong throughout but today he prefers to portray the violence by editing, suggestions and sound effects. Also the "cat-and -rat" chase throughout the film is really compelling at the audience wonders who will succeed and finish off the other first. I'm glad that it was Martin Scorsese to direct this and that he had won Best Director Award for the film. He deserved it after the career he's had. Expand
  97. Riren
    Mar 3, 2007
    Nicholson turns in one of his best performances in years. Actually, so do DiCaprio and Damon. The supporting cast mostly ranges from inoffensive to good, filling out a lush world and creating an interesting, tangled plot, following two people are much more similar than is comfortable. The Departed also boasts great pacing and one of the best soundtracks in years. In fact, there are so Nicholson turns in one of his best performances in years. Actually, so do DiCaprio and Damon. The supporting cast mostly ranges from inoffensive to good, filling out a lush world and creating an interesting, tangled plot, following two people are much more similar than is comfortable. The Departed also boasts great pacing and one of the best soundtracks in years. In fact, there are so many aspects of the movie that are "one of the best in years" that it's no surprise that The Departed is the year's best. Only Pan's Labyrinth can stand up to it, and it's too different a film to compare. Expand
  98. TomP
    Aug 23, 2008
    Okay Terrence, you obviously just weren't smart enough to get a grasp on this movie. (Colin wasn't able to get the undercover officer files, he never mentioned not being able to use a password.) Really good movie though. Everybody Dies! (Yay?)
  99. JW
    Oct 13, 2006
    This rating requires an asterisk, because I'm very conflicted. Never has such an obviously good movie left me feeling so much nothing afterwards. A lot of really, REALLY excellent acting is offered up in sacrifice to this movie. And sacrifice is the exact word for it. Martin Sheen has been and I expect will continue to be overlooked here. But he is the closest thing the movie has to This rating requires an asterisk, because I'm very conflicted. Never has such an obviously good movie left me feeling so much nothing afterwards. A lot of really, REALLY excellent acting is offered up in sacrifice to this movie. And sacrifice is the exact word for it. Martin Sheen has been and I expect will continue to be overlooked here. But he is the closest thing the movie has to a moral center, and gets just as much out of his character as a gnawing Nicholson does, in a mere fraction of the time. He also has the two most poignant moments in the film. DiCaprio deserves whatever accolades he gets for this, because he runs the show really well. People should be off his case now. Damon is as frank and flat as Jack is insane. Either this was asked of them or it was what felt right. We know both are capable enough of rounder acting, but in a strange way it doesn't matter because the decision is made easier to root against them. Scorsese has that superhero capability to draw the big cast. Hype builds around that power, like Superman bending a bus to save people. Only if nobody is saved, you're just left with a bent bus. I see Scorsese as a bender of buses.... It's about three brain-splatters too much to not make your popcorn taste bad. And I don't know what number the body count reached before people started laughing, but it was certainly smaller than the numbers you hear each night on the news. Scorsese should consider this before he bends another bus, because by the end of it he seemed to be having fun with the wrong things. Nevertheless, 9 (*) if only thanks to the all-star acting. Expand
  100. Wongit
    Oct 15, 2006
    Simply amazing! Best movie i saw through the summer. I never cared for Dicaprio, but he is simply awesome in this film as well as just about everyone else. Amazing.

A new American crime classic from the legendary Martin Scorsese, whose talent shines here on its highest beams.
  2. A ferociously entertaining film.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This reworking of a popular Hong Kong picture pulses with energy, tangy dialogue and crackling performances from a fine cast.