The Descent

8.6

1. DustParticles
    Aug 27, 2006
    this is one of the most boring movies i've ever seen it irritates me that it has gained so much praise the first 20 minutes are good as soon as the monsters are shown, it's pretty awful.
  2. Nov 12, 2010
    What a snore. I actually came into this wanting to see what the big stink of it was but.....I lost interest quickly. Why do so many people jerk this film off? A bunch of young women get into a bad situation. Boring. They encounter monsters. BORING. They're blind and most of the fights are in pitch black darkness. A little neat...

..then the entire movie is just gore scene with little

..then the entire movie is just gore scene with little light, the same monsters and no real build up of true fear, a disappointing ending an nonsensical...well, everything...ugh I just can't understand it at all. It's not that it's confusing to me, I just don't see AT ALL what people liked about it. So glad I only paid $3 in Xbox space-bucks just to see it otherwise I would've walked out of the theater had I seen this in one.

Boring. Boring. Boring.
  3. Jun 13, 2011
    The movie was a pretty good horror movie but the issues come from its atmosphere. The movie falls victim to the problem of not developing the characters well enough to be able to tell who they were in the dark. The movie is set in an underground cave. This is a very cool and scary setting but the issue come from the fact that it is very dark underground. Most of the action scenes becomeThe movie was a pretty good horror movie but the issues come from its atmosphere. The movie falls victim to the problem of not developing the characters well enough to be able to tell who they were in the dark. The movie is set in an underground cave. This is a very cool and scary setting but the issue come from the fact that it is very dark underground. Most of the action scenes become cluttered and hard to tell what is going on because of the darkness. I am sure that this movie would be great on a big screen or in the theater but for normal folks its an issue. If the director had done something to help the viewer be able to see better, I would have rated the movie better. Expand
  4. Sep 19, 2011
    Trash of a film. I repeat. Trash. Horrible. Great acting, but NO PLOT! Lacks so, so much. Worst movie of the year thus far. As fulfilling as starting at a wall.
  5. Apr 28, 2012
    Ok, what can I say? First, that I am puzzled...I just cant get how people think this is the 'best horror movie ever' , a 'classic', seriously? Well, I never felt it. Classics and good: films like The Omen, Carrie, The Birds, The Exorcist, TCM, and others...this...for God's sake...has to be a joke! I strongly believe his is bad. Incredibly overrated. Many also also say the performances areOk, what can I say? First, that I am puzzled...I just cant get how people think this is the 'best horror movie ever' , a 'classic', seriously? Well, I never felt it. Classics and good: films like The Omen, Carrie, The Birds, The Exorcist, TCM, and others...this...for God's sake...has to be a joke! I strongly believe his is bad. Incredibly overrated. Many also also say the performances are great. As someone who has worked in performing arts (Mostly in theatre, which is what I truly love), let me tell you that the performances are terrible! At least that is my opinion as someone who has seen a lot of both good and bad acting.

When I rented this movie I expected something different, smart horror, opportune gore. After 25 minutes -that are unnecessarily slow- I started feeling sleepy...30, 40 minutes...well I basically gave up. I don't care if there was gore after, or monsters, or whatever. It is just so frivolous. I felt no empathy for the characters. Not that it was required for this type of film, of course; but there is no real development of their personalities...it is all pretty shallow. The photography was good, and the idea interesting indeed; but that is not enough to make a movie good. Tension? Almost none. If blood is all you want...you will get there, but only after the first 45 min; have a nap before! For those who do not share my point of view, fair enough; but sincerely, I hoped to watch a decent film, and what I found is something flat, less than mediocre that I will never recommend to anyone and I have no intentions to watch it again...perhaps I will finish watching the last half. I shall do that, while I am having a nice glass of a great sauvignon blanc from the Malbourough region (NZ) and a creamy Tasmanian brie cheese... that I guess, will make it more bearable.
  6. bazuden
    May 16, 2008
    Big disappointment. Its not even scary or intense. Too much focus on conflict between the girls made it boring. The Cave was way better. Why does everyone like this movie, but not The Cave? Is it cos of the chicks? I don't get it.
  7. WilliamY.
    Jul 8, 2008
    Good movie all the way through, falls victim to many of the usual horror/thriller movie mistakes cept the ending was horse s**t... Does it mean they all die? Why was she such a b***h to that one woman? I mean when it comes down to survival, one person isn't thinking about revenge, they are thinking "how can I save my own buttox" I really think she had a bit more of a heart... Good movie all the way through, falls victim to many of the usual horror/thriller movie mistakes cept the ending was horse s**t... Does it mean they all die? Why was she such a b***h to that one woman? I mean when it comes down to survival, one person isn't thinking about revenge, they are thinking "how can I save my own buttox" I really think she had a bit more of a heart... Personally, Not my cup of tea. Expand
  8. EdwinR.
    Jul 27, 2006
    I saw this movie last night in Miami Beach!. However prior to the moving starting there was a 15 minute behind the scenes look into the movie. It really ruined the plot, and i knew exactly what to expect. While it was scary, the plot has been done before and not too long ago. It is unoriginal and could almost be a lower budget version of a recent movie that takes place in a Cave.
  9. J.reb
    Aug 8, 2006
    Uhh...what a disappointment. Im a true horror movie fan but any sense of fear turned to humour and then bordom once you discover that the creatures look like golom from LOTR... This movie also has one of the craziest, most jarring cameras ever and gore scenes dont last longer than half a second because of it. Overall...boring characters, boring monsters, boring setting = boring movie. OnlyUhh...what a disappointment. Im a true horror movie fan but any sense of fear turned to humour and then bordom once you discover that the creatures look like golom from LOTR... This movie also has one of the craziest, most jarring cameras ever and gore scenes dont last longer than half a second because of it. Overall...boring characters, boring monsters, boring setting = boring movie. Only part that I liked was the car in the beginning. Expand
  10. P.O.
    Aug 20, 2006
    A tense, claustrophobic, and utterly foolish film. The film is legitimately scary the second time you find the monsters but after that the entire thing falls apart. All of a sudden the cave floor becomes utterly flat with wide open spaces - so the characters can run around in fear a bit more comfortably I suppose. Don't get me started on the monsters explanation as it insults the A tense, claustrophobic, and utterly foolish film. The film is legitimately scary the second time you find the monsters but after that the entire thing falls apart. All of a sudden the cave floor becomes utterly flat with wide open spaces - so the characters can run around in fear a bit more comfortably I suppose. Don't get me started on the monsters explanation as it insults the concept of suspension of disbelief. The moral of it is both offensive (although less so in the British release as it has an additional minute or so but still awful) and upsetting. You are supposed to hate the only heroic figure in the entire film and you are ultimately horrified by the intended figure of sympathy. Also, what happened to clever british scripting? What happened to sharp dialogue and witty give and take? Why does every piece of dialogue in a british film or television (see Hex for a perfect example) show, post- trainspotting, have to sound like my junior high school locker room? Nothing but cursing, crudeness, and lame booze and sex jokes. Guess what? It's not shocking or edgy, this isn't 1950. It's just pathetic. Expand
  11. Filmfan
    Aug 26, 2006
    This movie is a real bore. A few slimy looking characters attack improbably pretty gurl jocks in dark cave situations. There are much more scary or more funny films in ths genre.
  12. MilesM.
    Oct 8, 2006
    Pitifully boring, tragically trite...Neil Marshall disappoints with this one-dimensional estrogen-fest
  13. MattB.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Heard a lot good stuff about it, I was excited to see it but it was a as scary as an RL Stine book for kids, the crash at the beginning meant nothing, it was a big letdown, the female bonding didn't work either, instead of monsters they could of had real drama with some good claustrophobia.
  14. D.A.
    Feb 20, 2007
    Yes if I could have just seen anything other than a torch shining in my eyes it may have been ok. gollum was cute though. and what is an apparently satisfying film if it has an unsatisfying ending? no not big clever or make your own mind up, i paid for you to tell me a story not make it up myself, it ends up changing my opinion from ok to UNSATISFYING. All directors stop trying to be Yes if I could have just seen anything other than a torch shining in my eyes it may have been ok. gollum was cute though. and what is an apparently satisfying film if it has an unsatisfying ending? no not big clever or make your own mind up, i paid for you to tell me a story not make it up myself, it ends up changing my opinion from ok to UNSATISFYING. All directors stop trying to be clever and ambigous its just a cheap horror finish off your work. Expand
  15. lf
    Apr 30, 2007
    Excellent beginning falls prey to cheap shock and brainless scripting. So much talent and energy wasted by brainless Hollywood scare tactics.
  16. NickM.
    May 27, 2007
    I was very disappointed by this movie. The first half of the movie was extremely dull.....the second half was a random killing spree.....and the ending left something to be desired.
  17. Jun 29, 2012
    There is no point to this film. None of the events have any reason to occur, the main character is useless, all the characters end up in a dire situation because the token retarded yank decided that they should all play explorers and went into a cave system with NO idea what they were doing. You end up just hoping that they will all die quickly so you can do something else.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Brutal, bloody, terrifying, astonishing... And so tense it'll leave you aching. The most significant Brit chiller since "28 Days Later."
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    The chills and spills keep comin' to agreeable effect in Brit-made scarefest The Descent.
  3. Reviewed by: Jeremy Knox
    All in all, this is an accessible art house horror film whose trailer and premise do not do justice to the end result.