8.0

1. Nov 12, 2010
    What a snore. I actually came into this wanting to see what the big stink of it was but.....I lost interest quickly. Why do so many people jerk this film off? A bunch of young women get into a bad situation. Boring. They encounter monsters. BORING. They're blind and most of the fights are in pitch black darkness. A little neat...

..then the entire movie is just gore scene with little
    light, the same monsters and no real build up of true fear, a disappointing ending an nonsensical...well, everything...ugh I just can't understand it at all. It's not that it's confusing to me, I just don't see AT ALL what people liked about it. So glad I only paid $3 in Xbox space-bucks just to see it otherwise I would've walked out of the theater had I seen this in one.

Boring. Boring. Boring.
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    The movie was a pretty good horror movie but the issues come from its atmosphere. The movie falls victim to the problem of not developing the characters well enough to be able to tell who they were in the dark. The movie is set in an underground cave. This is a very cool and scary setting but the issue come from the fact that it is very dark underground. Most of the action scenes become cluttered and hard to tell what is going on because of the darkness. I am sure that this movie would be great on a big screen or in the theater but for normal folks its an issue. If the director had done something to help the viewer be able to see better, I would have rated the movie better. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2011
    Trash of a film. I repeat. Trash. Horrible. Great acting, but NO PLOT! Lacks so, so much. Worst movie of the year thus far. As fulfilling as starting at a wall.
  4. Apr 28, 2012
    Ok, what can I say? First, that I am puzzled...I just cant get how people think this is the 'best horror movie ever' , a 'classic', seriously? Well, I never felt it. Classics and good: films like The Omen, Carrie, The Birds, The Exorcist, TCM, and others...this...for God's sake...has to be a joke! I strongly believe his is bad. Incredibly overrated. Many also also say the performances are great. As someone who has worked in performing arts (Mostly in theatre, which is what I truly love), let me tell you that the performances are terrible! At least that is my opinion as someone who has seen a lot of both good and bad acting.

When I rented this movie I expected something different, smart horror, opportune gore. After 25 minutes -that are unnecessarily slow- I started feeling sleepy...30, 40 minutes...well I basically gave up. I don't care if there was gore after, or monsters, or whatever. It is just so frivolous. I felt no empathy for the characters. Not that it was required for this type of film, of course; but there is no real development of their personalities...it is all pretty shallow. The photography was good, and the idea interesting indeed; but that is not enough to make a movie good. Tension? Almost none. If blood is all you want...you will get there, but only after the first 45 min; have a nap before! For those who do not share my point of view, fair enough; but sincerely, I hoped to watch a decent film, and what I found is something flat, less than mediocre that I will never recommend to anyone and I have no intentions to watch it again...perhaps I will finish watching the last half. I shall do that, while I am having a nice glass of a great sauvignon blanc from the Malbourough region (NZ) and a creamy Tasmanian brie cheese... that I guess, will make it more bearable.
  5. Jun 29, 2012
    There is no point to this film. None of the events have any reason to occur, the main character is useless, all the characters end up in a dire situation because the token retarded yank decided that they should all play explorers and went into a cave system with NO idea what they were doing. You end up just hoping that they will all die quickly so you can do something else.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Brutal, bloody, terrifying, astonishing... And so tense it'll leave you aching. The most significant Brit chiller since "28 Days Later."
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    The chills and spills keep comin' to agreeable effect in Brit-made scarefest The Descent.
  3. Reviewed by: Jeremy Knox
    All in all, this is an accessible art house horror film whose trailer and premise do not do justice to the end result.