8.3

1. Jul 22, 2013
    The Descent is extremely intense and unpredictable with a dark and original story. It is brutal and terrifying, with chilling action sequences, plus that you will remember the movie for sometime, it is a decent thriller that can be one of the scariest and best horror movies ever made. (The movie is not for anyone who have claustrophobia)
  2. Oct 1, 2011
    The best horror movie ever !
  3. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Descent is of a rare breed these days, a horror film that is actually relentlessly scary. With a simple premise and nice cast to be picked away at one by one, the film is one of the jumpiest out. The setting is terrifically, creating immense claustrophobia early on. And the film is clever, easing the audience into the monsters, showing them little of the fairly simple-costumed creatures. A few points of darkness, a night-vision camera and just enough violence make the Descent an incredibly fun horror. Expand
  4. Mar 16, 2013
    CAVING! NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NOT EVER!!!!!!! This movie has guaranteed I'm a surface dweller for life! I'm a tough character, not easily daunted, but several fear inducing facets contained within this film had me frozen in wide-eyed terror! Watch it and see if I'm wrong...
  5. ZS
    Jan 2, 2008
    Eh, it wasn't bad at all. But it certainly wasn't all the critics made it out to be. Jumpy, sure (and it did this well...for the first hour or so...), but then it just devolves into one fight after another. And by the way...are Sarah and Juno Cave Tai Kwon Do experts or something? The Gollum ass-kicking got old quickly. They can't even walk forward without scraping against Eh, it wasn't bad at all. But it certainly wasn't all the critics made it out to be. Jumpy, sure (and it did this well...for the first hour or so...), but then it just devolves into one fight after another. And by the way...are Sarah and Juno Cave Tai Kwon Do experts or something? The Gollum ass-kicking got old quickly. They can't even walk forward without scraping against something for the first hour, and then suddenly there are whole underground fighting chambers? I didn't buy that. Great performance from most of the cast (Juno was overacted), decent concept, yet another ambiguous is-she-or-isn't-she Hollywoodesque ending. I would have felt more fulfilled if that logging truck had just taken Sarah's head off right after she blew cookies. That would have been as merciless and grim as this was supposed to be. Expand
  6. Aug 26, 2010
    A plot that sounds as though it is destined for B-movie massacre is saved by director Neil Marshall simply by playing by his own rules - it is comprised of an all-female cast, the first 20 minutes are actually used to develop them as characters, and the suspense and horror are all built up even before the real terror strikes.
  7. Jan 28, 2013
    Solid Horror film from the UK and one of my personal favs, but it's fails to get the high score due to somewhat of a sloppy ending. Great all-female cast head deep into a cave system and get stalked by 'crawlers', and it makes for one hell of a Horror film that would freak anyone out! There is also some great character development, especially with the leads Sarah & Juno. Overall I highlySolid Horror film from the UK and one of my personal favs, but it's fails to get the high score due to somewhat of a sloppy ending. Great all-female cast head deep into a cave system and get stalked by 'crawlers', and it makes for one hell of a Horror film that would freak anyone out! There is also some great character development, especially with the leads Sarah & Juno. Overall I highly enjoyed it and have seen it quite a few times now, and would certainly recommend it to Horror buffs! Expand
  8. Aug 30, 2013
    While the slow pacing may be off-putting to gorehounds expecting a train through the tunnel blood orgy, it does pick up in the final act, with blood for all, and baths of blood to spare! Featuring actresses who previously never showed any commercial or widespread acclaim, they boast their finest acting chops under direction in a flick that rattles your spine and twists your vertebrae oneWhile the slow pacing may be off-putting to gorehounds expecting a train through the tunnel blood orgy, it does pick up in the final act, with blood for all, and baths of blood to spare! Featuring actresses who previously never showed any commercial or widespread acclaim, they boast their finest acting chops under direction in a flick that rattles your spine and twists your vertebrae one by one, as the minutes tick on. As you slowly watch each character be ripped limb to limb in the faintest lights by darkness, your mind begins to feel emotion as you realize you spent the first near hour actually growing fond of these women and their character development (how shocking for the Horror genre!) While The Descent may not be a classic to be praised for generations to come, it works best at delivering an hour of building tension, before 30 minutes of an relentlessness terror that leaves a bad thought of regret (if viewing the flaw-free director's cut ending.) Expand
  9. Sep 2, 2014
    "The Descent" is possibly the scariest movie ever made, and it's one of the best horror movies of the 2000's, and, possibly, of all time. It's unpredictable, intense, enjoyable, and extremely original. It perfectly combines jump scares with pure tension. I give it my highest recommendation.
  10. Sep 8, 2013
    The descent is a smart original horror-action movie about six friends who go to explore an unknown cave somewhere in America. Everything is ok until they realize that in this cave some creatures live. And then the action starts. Before the appearance of the monsters it has suspense and in the beginning it is a thriller But it becomes a really good horror movie. It has scary moments, andThe descent is a smart original horror-action movie about six friends who go to explore an unknown cave somewhere in America. Everything is ok until they realize that in this cave some creatures live. And then the action starts. Before the appearance of the monsters it has suspense and in the beginning it is a thriller But it becomes a really good horror movie. It has scary moments, and suspense during the whole movie. You will be scared and you will enjoy it. Trust me. The ending was a little strange. I would like to watch the sequel just to see what will happen. I am really curious. In general the descent is a claustrophobic horror movie and I have to say that it is the first British horror movie that I watched and it was pretty good. Thumbs up! Expand
  11. May 26, 2011
    Not too original as people calm it to be since it borrowed ideas from The Times Machine, Lurking Fear, Beast in the cave, C.H.U.D. It even has the main character falling into a pool of bones like in the remade version of The Time Machine. This idea has been rehashed several times in the past hundred years. Overall it's a good movie but not that great in my eyes. 7.1/10
  12. AnneN.
    Dec 6, 2007
    brilliant and original film, bit of a crap ending though
  13. DustParticles
    Aug 27, 2006
    this is one of the most boring movies i've ever seen it irritates me that it has gained so much praise the first 20 minutes are good as soon as the monsters are shown, it's pretty awful.
  14. Nov 12, 2010
    What a snore. I actually came into this wanting to see what the big stink of it was but.....I lost interest quickly. Why do so many people jerk this film off? A bunch of young women get into a bad situation. Boring. They encounter monsters. BORING. They're blind and most of the fights are in pitch black darkness. A little neat...

..then the entire movie is just gore scene with little

..then the entire movie is just gore scene with little light, the same monsters and no real build up of true fear, a disappointing ending an nonsensical...well, everything...ugh I just can't understand it at all. It's not that it's confusing to me, I just don't see AT ALL what people liked about it. So glad I only paid $3 in Xbox space-bucks just to see it otherwise I would've walked out of the theater had I seen this in one.

Boring. Boring. Boring.
  15. Feb 2, 2011
    It was a decently scary horror film, and It will scare the **** out of you if your claustrophobic and are watching it in a dark movie theater. In fact, it was really suspenseful until the middle of the movie, when the blood starts flying and the amount of gore just becomes ridiculous. Falling into a giant pool of blood and organs? The bloody massacre of the creatures when the woman finds aIt was a decently scary horror film, and It will scare the **** out of you if your claustrophobic and are watching it in a dark movie theater. In fact, it was really suspenseful until the middle of the movie, when the blood starts flying and the amount of gore just becomes ridiculous. Falling into a giant pool of blood and organs? The bloody massacre of the creatures when the woman finds a weapon? At this point, all the blood is just silly, and it personally killed the movie for me. Aside from that and the ending, though, it wasn't bad. Expand
  16. Jun 13, 2011
    The movie was a pretty good horror movie but the issues come from its atmosphere. The movie falls victim to the problem of not developing the characters well enough to be able to tell who they were in the dark. The movie is set in an underground cave. This is a very cool and scary setting but the issue come from the fact that it is very dark underground. Most of the action scenes becomeThe movie was a pretty good horror movie but the issues come from its atmosphere. The movie falls victim to the problem of not developing the characters well enough to be able to tell who they were in the dark. The movie is set in an underground cave. This is a very cool and scary setting but the issue come from the fact that it is very dark underground. Most of the action scenes become cluttered and hard to tell what is going on because of the darkness. I am sure that this movie would be great on a big screen or in the theater but for normal folks its an issue. If the director had done something to help the viewer be able to see better, I would have rated the movie better. Expand
  17. Sep 19, 2011
    Trash of a film. I repeat. Trash. Horrible. Great acting, but NO PLOT! Lacks so, so much. Worst movie of the year thus far. As fulfilling as starting at a wall.
  18. Apr 28, 2012
    Ok, what can I say? First, that I am puzzled...I just cant get how people think this is the 'best horror movie ever' , a 'classic', seriously? Well, I never felt it. Classics and good: films like The Omen, Carrie, The Birds, The Exorcist, TCM, and others...this...for God's sake...has to be a joke! I strongly believe his is bad. Incredibly overrated. Many also also say the performances areOk, what can I say? First, that I am puzzled...I just cant get how people think this is the 'best horror movie ever' , a 'classic', seriously? Well, I never felt it. Classics and good: films like The Omen, Carrie, The Birds, The Exorcist, TCM, and others...this...for God's sake...has to be a joke! I strongly believe his is bad. Incredibly overrated. Many also also say the performances are great. As someone who has worked in performing arts (Mostly in theatre, which is what I truly love), let me tell you that the performances are terrible! At least that is my opinion as someone who has seen a lot of both good and bad acting.

When I rented this movie I expected something different, smart horror, opportune gore. After 25 minutes -that are unnecessarily slow- I started feeling sleepy...30, 40 minutes...well I basically gave up. I don't care if there was gore after, or monsters, or whatever. It is just so frivolous. I felt no empathy for the characters. Not that it was required for this type of film, of course; but there is no real development of their personalities...it is all pretty shallow. The photography was good, and the idea interesting indeed; but that is not enough to make a movie good. Tension? Almost none. If blood is all you want...you will get there, but only after the first 45 min; have a nap before! For those who do not share my point of view, fair enough; but sincerely, I hoped to watch a decent film, and what I found is something flat, less than mediocre that I will never recommend to anyone and I have no intentions to watch it again...perhaps I will finish watching the last half. I shall do that, while I am having a nice glass of a great sauvignon blanc from the Malbourough region (NZ) and a creamy Tasmanian brie cheese... that I guess, will make it more bearable.
  19. Jul 24, 2014
    The idea itself could be fine, but the movie is silly, not scary at all and even not as violent and brutal as many described.
    Anyway my gf almost puked but just because she's very scared about blood; she gives a 6/10 instead.
    So actually let's say 5.5/10
  20. IanReyP
    Apr 9, 2008
    Anybody who does not like this movie will never like any horror movie at all! It's just one of the best horror movies done! A simple story but very innovative idea!
  21. christopherJ
    May 16, 2008
    It was OK, but you practically had to turn on the subtitles to hear what those girls were mumbling. I liked the fact that the victims could sort of fight back, but the girls didn't act in realistic ways about 50% of the time. I felt the disconnect again and again, so I tuned out parts of the film. So basically it wasn't super engrossing, and it was OK.
  22. bazuden
    May 16, 2008
    Big disappointment. Its not even scary or intense. Too much focus on conflict between the girls made it boring. The Cave was way better. Why does everyone like this movie, but not The Cave? Is it cos of the chicks? I don't get it.
  23. M
    May 29, 2008
    It was a very solid horror film. Little corny with monsters, but intensity pacing was far superior to most recent horror films. It's a mix of Shining, Aliens, and Deliverance.
  24. WilliamY.
    Jul 8, 2008
    Good movie all the way through, falls victim to many of the usual horror/thriller movie mistakes cept the ending was horse s**t... Does it mean they all die? Why was she such a b***h to that one woman? I mean when it comes down to survival, one person isn't thinking about revenge, they are thinking "how can I save my own buttox" I really think she had a bit more of a heart... Good movie all the way through, falls victim to many of the usual horror/thriller movie mistakes cept the ending was horse s**t... Does it mean they all die? Why was she such a b***h to that one woman? I mean when it comes down to survival, one person isn't thinking about revenge, they are thinking "how can I save my own buttox" I really think she had a bit more of a heart... Personally, Not my cup of tea. Expand
  25. RandyM.
    Aug 15, 2008
    While this shockingly chilling horror movie might not appeal to everyone, those who do happen to find appeal in it will be utterly terrified by the fresh breath that Neil Marshall breathes into a much recycled horror genre. The subtle bits and pieces that he places within the film are nothing short of brilliant.
  26. JohnS.
    Aug 25, 2008
    The Descent is the kind of movie that will see a fair share of play time on the Sci-Fi channel, but it was thrilling nevertheless.
  27. KorayD.
    Feb 6, 2009
    If you want to experience real clousthrophobic terror this is a really good film. I am still feeling repressed as I am writing.
  28. ClifC.
    Mar 9, 2009
    What is interesting is how characters react when they are confronted to fear itself. The plot is well constructed and the last scene is mentally shocking. Some special effects (with the camera) are weird and almost unwatchable, and the acting is not good.
  29. ScottN
    Jun 7, 2009
    Definitely one of the more effectively-creep horror movies to come out in the theatres in the past several years IMO. In fact, I think this movie could have been just as scary (or even moreso) without the blind, flesh-eating creatures. The first 45 minutes of the movie before the creatures start showing up will really get you going, especially for any of you clostrophobes out there. To Definitely one of the more effectively-creep horror movies to come out in the theatres in the past several years IMO. In fact, I think this movie could have been just as scary (or even moreso) without the blind, flesh-eating creatures. The first 45 minutes of the movie before the creatures start showing up will really get you going, especially for any of you clostrophobes out there. To me, the simple situation of finding yourselves in a cave system and not knowing if you will be able to ever find your way out is even scarier than when the blood and gore starts to flow.. But regardless, a very well done movie that is sure to give you the willies. My only complaint is about the so cliche "fooled ya!" type of ending that has been so over done.. Either let the girl escape or don't, but don't do the old "ok, that didn't really happen" thing. Please. But that didn't ruin the movie - I still highly recommend watching it at least once. Expand
  30. SteveG
    Nov 29, 2005
    Great stuff. Claustraphobic, tense and dark horror....and thats even before it kicks in as a horror film. Unknown cast excell and add to the unpredictability of the whole film. Lit only by the headlamps and glowsticks this really creates genuine shocks and one stand out jump that had me splilling my popcorn.
  31. Ken-StianP.
    Dec 2, 2005
    Bloody brilliant! Excuse the pun. But this film had me shivering from the get-go. Good job, Mr. Marshall!
  32. JonathanB
    Dec 8, 2005
    Scary, dark and tightly scripted. There's surprises, twists and some truly nasty horror moments. Another great film from brit director Neil Marshall.
  33. charlyp
    Dec 9, 2005
    Magnifico ejercicio de estilo y de terror claustrofóbico. Filmada con excelente pulso y bien interpretada. Abstengase gente impresionable...asusta de verdad y no se corta con las secuencias violentas. Un festín para cualquier amante del buen cine de terror....algunos deberían aprender y saber que es lo que nunca debieron hacer el último verano.
  34. ChristianC.
    Dec 14, 2005
    Easily the best horror movie of 2005 and the best British movie since Shaun Of The Dead. Scarier and darker than anything produced by the US in over a decade. Hollywood take note - this is how horror should be.
  35. BenA.
    Dec 27, 2005
    Absolutely brilliant. Tons of gore, great acting, great story...great everything! Top notch movie, highly recommended. Get ready to be scared!
  36. DanielK.
    Feb 12, 2006
    Der beste Horrorfilm seit langer Zeit, ohne Teenager und ohne Happy End. Gott sei Dank bin ich nicht klaustrophobisch, diese Enge würde mich sonst verrückt machen. Kann diesen Film jedem Horror-Fan empfehlen.
  37. TobiasO.
    Mar 3, 2006
    Well done British thriller. I've read that Lions Gate will be changing the ending for the US release. What else is new? American studios don't have the courage to make films like this without some gimmicky"let's treat everyone like their 8 years old" jump-scare ending. But isn't it nice to know the original British ending will be "an extra" on the US dvd release. Well done British thriller. I've read that Lions Gate will be changing the ending for the US release. What else is new? American studios don't have the courage to make films like this without some gimmicky"let's treat everyone like their 8 years old" jump-scare ending. But isn't it nice to know the original British ending will be "an extra" on the US dvd release. Marketing at its finest! Expand
  38. F.Valeron
    Apr 16, 2006
    There's no need to avoid this film if you have a heart problem or nervous disposition, only if you think films should actually be good. It's just a gang of weird, blind monsters chasing girls around a cave. Sort of like a night out in an English nightclub.
  39. KevinE.
    Apr 21, 2006
    the strongest creature feature in years, good acting, well directed, excellent cinematography, makes a fool out of the cave. If this is your kind of movie, it's a must see.
  40. BértilR.
    May 26, 2006
    The best horror movie I've seen in many years, its really does his works.
  41. OliverD.
    Jun 15, 2006
    Most effective horror movie in years! Neil Marshall does a brilliant job delivering on almost all human primal fears. Razor sharp technique and earie set design paared with good acting and frightening sound effects make for the most frightening movie I have seen in many years.
  42. JoeM.
    Jun 18, 2006
    How unusual to watch a horror film that actually delivers. Great camerawork, editing, acting and sound plus just the right amount of grand guignol in the final act. Plus a hauntingly downbeat ending. Marshall's the man.
  43. RobertK.
    Jun 20, 2006
    The best horror movie in a long, long time, and especially for 2005/2006. You don't want to miss this one, especially if you can see it in the theaters.
  44. JoeC.
    Jun 23, 2006
    Relentless. Grim. The best horror movie of the last 15 years.
  45. Jake
    Jul 19, 2006
    The first 2/3 of the movie are brilliant as the suspense slowly builds. The pacing is great and it really lets you absorb the "scenery." Unfortunately, once it is revealed what exactly lurks in the cave, the film loses steam, and what wants to be an intense climax seems somewhat rushed. Has it's fair share of scary moments, but it's kind of a one trick pony. I guess there's The first 2/3 of the movie are brilliant as the suspense slowly builds. The pacing is great and it really lets you absorb the "scenery." Unfortunately, once it is revealed what exactly lurks in the cave, the film loses steam, and what wants to be an intense climax seems somewhat rushed. Has it's fair share of scary moments, but it's kind of a one trick pony. I guess there's only so much you could do in a cave. Fortunately the ending is so great it made me forget about most of the flaws. Expand
  46. RachelR.
    Jul 21, 2006
    Saw this film at the LA Film Festival and actually levitated out of my seat. I think the screams from the audience could have been heard all the way to San Francisco. I'm not usually a fan of horror movies, but this is the best movie I've seen all year.
  47. PabloF.
    Jul 26, 2006
    It's one of the best pictures of horror that i can see in a long time.
  48. EdwinR.
    Jul 27, 2006
    I saw this movie last night in Miami Beach!. However prior to the moving starting there was a 15 minute behind the scenes look into the movie. It really ruined the plot, and i knew exactly what to expect. While it was scary, the plot has been done before and not too long ago. It is unoriginal and could almost be a lower budget version of a recent movie that takes place in a Cave.
  49. RikJ.
    Jul 28, 2006
    Great horror flick ! I had no clue for the first 45 minutes that it was anything but a well-done indie drama about loss and bonding. Man, was I wrong! Very well directed, shot and lit. Hope it comes to the US so I can see it on the big screen!
  50. MRPT
    Jul 29, 2006
    This is an old movie not new this year, unless its getting re-released or something. Anyway its well worth watching. The paranoia of the women and the claustrophobia of the caves is captured well. The tension that builds keeps you peering through the darkness to see what
  51. SamS.
    Jul 30, 2006
    Brilliant and terryfying. Great plot, suspenceful until the last twist. Excellent classic.
  52. SashaO.
    Jul 30, 2006
    I left this movie crying and trebling. I must say i was truely disturbed and effected. I would not recomend seeing it. I have sat through most horror films without a twitch, always knowing what to expect and almost NEVER getting scared. But this time, the suprises were endless and the horror was so real that i wet myself. It makes the Texas Chainsaw Massacure look like Barney and The Ring I left this movie crying and trebling. I must say i was truely disturbed and effected. I would not recomend seeing it. I have sat through most horror films without a twitch, always knowing what to expect and almost NEVER getting scared. But this time, the suprises were endless and the horror was so real that i wet myself. It makes the Texas Chainsaw Massacure look like Barney and The Ring look like Peter Pan. The scariest movie of all time. More so then the Evil Dead. Absoultly terrifying. Expand
  53. BobB.
    Jul 30, 2006
    I had my eyes closed half of the movie. Absolusly terryifying. Perfect beggining. Amazing ending. I would see it 100 times more.
  54. BittyR.
    Jul 30, 2006
    Supurb acting and amazing horror. great twists and great director. well done, well lit and really smart plot. instant classic.
  55. BittyR.
  63. BittyR.
  64. BittyR.
  65. MarkS.
    Aug 1, 2006
    Easily the best horror film of 2005. Potentially the best horror film of the last 10 years. Anyone who compares it to The Cave needs to be sectioned. This is superior fare.
  66. PaulK.
    Aug 3, 2006
    I had high expectations after seeing the user rating on here, but I didn't think this was scary at all...granted there was one perfectly placed and unsuspecting scare, but that's it. Most parts of the plot were too far over the top and I kept getting confused between the characters since they look similar and half the time you couldn't see them. The last second of the movie I had high expectations after seeing the user rating on here, but I didn't think this was scary at all...granted there was one perfectly placed and unsuspecting scare, but that's it. Most parts of the plot were too far over the top and I kept getting confused between the characters since they look similar and half the time you couldn't see them. The last second of the movie is ridiculous. Oh, and the gore factor is relatively high, in case you were wondering...makes me curious about the original ending that was changed for audiences here in the states. Horror fans will see this in the theater, but everyone else should wait until video. Expand
    Aug 3, 2006
    Classic artwork...brilliant like no other horor film of the past 20 years. Absolutely breathtaking.
  68. AlL
    Aug 4, 2006
    It is distinguished from a crowded genre by the mere fact that the set up is so prolonged. Okay white girls we get it: this is not "sex in the city" but and low budget Steel Magnolia's. If I wanted to go spelunking I would go for real. Claustraphobia anyone. Once the familiar looking ghouls arrive it is the same old formula. As for Sasha O and hercrying, trembling and peeing of It is distinguished from a crowded genre by the mere fact that the set up is so prolonged. Okay white girls we get it: this is not "sex in the city" but and low budget Steel Magnolia's. If I wanted to go spelunking I would go for real. Claustraphobia anyone. Once the familiar looking ghouls arrive it is the same old formula. As for Sasha O and hercrying, trembling and peeing of her/his panties...nice try. I saw your name on Lion Gate's website. How much did you get paid??? Expand
  69. ScotM.
    Aug 4, 2006
    The side story and so called "twist" are both lame and meaningless,as is the final scene. I've seen the same creatures on a much more enjoyable episode of the "X- Files", and people simply would not engage in dialog or act in the manner depicted if ever presented with this type of incredible situation. The movie is nothing like the seventies classic "Deliverance" which was mentioned The side story and so called "twist" are both lame and meaningless,as is the final scene. I've seen the same creatures on a much more enjoyable episode of the "X- Files", and people simply would not engage in dialog or act in the manner depicted if ever presented with this type of incredible situation. The movie is nothing like the seventies classic "Deliverance" which was mentioned somewhere in another review here, and I am amazed at the relatively high scores for this tiresome flick. Also the voice of one of the 6 actors is the scariest thing in the film, sharp enough to cut right thought you. All in all I've seen it many times before. Expand
  70. MichaelL.
    Aug 5, 2006
    Scariest film I've seen in a long while. Yes, it's derivative, and yes, it's flawed. But, it's well acted, well directed, and creepy as hell. Personally, I feel the gore factor got a bit absurd near the end--excess is not always a good thing. It became desensitizing. But all in all, a welcome relief from Japanese-based "poor little girl was mistreated by her Mommy so Scariest film I've seen in a long while. Yes, it's derivative, and yes, it's flawed. But, it's well acted, well directed, and creepy as hell. Personally, I feel the gore factor got a bit absurd near the end--excess is not always a good thing. It became desensitizing. But all in all, a welcome relief from Japanese-based "poor little girl was mistreated by her Mommy so now she's back to kill everyone" tedium. Let's hear it for strong women. And endings that aren't Hollywood happy. (My knees are still shaking...) Expand
  71. DirkA.
    Aug 5, 2006
    The Descent is solid 70's style horror filmmaking at its finest and though not the Alien 2006 its ads make it out to be, it is easily the best horror film of the year.
  72. DrewF.
    Aug 5, 2006
    Tremendous horror effort. One of the best films i've seen this year PERIOD. The altered ending doesn't change THAT much (both endings are [spoiler omitted] in my opinion), but i do slightly prefer the original ending. Brings everything full-circle.
  73. RobertI.
    Aug 5, 2006
    What a perfect premise for a horror film--the claustrophobic passages of an uncharted cave. Ironically, the shock value diminishes when the creatures appear: nothing beats the nerve-jangling apprehension of the dark and slimey unknown. An shrieking, instant classic.
  74. SuhnA.
    Aug 6, 2006
    What a horrible movie. It was merely a bloodfest with no real plot and no outcome. There was no creation of fear. There were some mildly startling moments, but overall it was a yawn. The acting was horrible as well. Simply an unentertaining movie.
  75. DaveB.
    Aug 6, 2006
    Scary as hell. This movie makes Saw 2 and The Hills Have Eyes (newer version) look like Captain Kangaroo. Honestly very chilling and extremely gory. Anybody that compares this movie to The Cave (worst movie I've seen lately) needs their head examined. If you are a fan of horror movies go see this flick....an awesome feast of blood and gore.
  76. NedA.
    Aug 7, 2006
    To be quite honest, the only frightening moments of this movie were the constant jump-out shots featuring the rather unremarkably lumpy creatures; and even then, as the movie dragged on the constant attempts to make you jump became more than predictable. The gore was laughable at points, and generally unnecessary throughout the entire film. Also, much of the important suppositions in the To be quite honest, the only frightening moments of this movie were the constant jump-out shots featuring the rather unremarkably lumpy creatures; and even then, as the movie dragged on the constant attempts to make you jump became more than predictable. The gore was laughable at points, and generally unnecessary throughout the entire film. Also, much of the important suppositions in the plot completely dissolve once the slightest amount of thought is given to them. Expand
  77. PatrickB.
    Aug 7, 2006
    I didn't think this film deserved the hype it received. It's a good film, just not as good as those it was compared to (Aliens? Please.) But if you like thrillers with attractive women, it might be up your alley.
  78. KellyA.
    Aug 7, 2006
    Loved it. I'd heard from friends who had gone to see it on friday that it was scary as hell, and they were right! Great to see a horror film with strong, capable women who can act.
  79. DorsetJD
    Aug 7, 2006
    Great pace - not too dark - watch -enjoy - jump !
  80. JoshW.
    Aug 7, 2006
    This movie did it all right. It's really rare that a horror movie delivers great scares, let alone great cinematography, acting, story, etc..
  81. LynnO.
    Aug 7, 2006
    How can people who get paid to review movies possibly think this will be a "classic"? Has the standard dropped that low? Just having something jump out of a dark corner does not constitute a horror classic. That's called cheap Hollywood theatrics. I give them some credi for having an interesting premise. Five years from now, no one will remember this "classic".
  82. Ross
    Aug 7, 2006
    This movie acheives sustained tension, and is extremely convincing. Even BEFORE the creatures of the latter half of this movie appeared, it kept me on the edge of my seat. More a "survival thriller" than a horror movie, this was certainly well made. Check it out if you like this genre.
  83. FrankN.S.
    Aug 7, 2006
    The Descent had a fistful of great scares and some amazing directing. I found that it actually had a lot of strengths. I agree with several of the critics that the first half of the movie was the strongest. The acting and cinematography was fantastic, and there was so much psychological tension that it almost made the monster attack feel like kind of a dumbing-down. I hate to say it, The Descent had a fistful of great scares and some amazing directing. I found that it actually had a lot of strengths. I agree with several of the critics that the first half of the movie was the strongest. The acting and cinematography was fantastic, and there was so much psychological tension that it almost made the monster attack feel like kind of a dumbing-down. I hate to say it, because as mentioned before, this movie got SO many things right that the majority of horror movies get wrong. I would still recommend it, for sure, but no, it is not as classic as Alien, and I still feel as though the plot could have been much more interesting near the end. The attack scenes got a bit repetitive. Last but not least, it discourages me to think that it is getting put in the same range as Saw and Hostel. Saw was for 12 year olds and Hostel was a try hard. The Descent deserves better. Expand
  84. MarkB.
    Aug 8, 2006
    Part of what makes watching horror movies, good or bad, with an audience so much fun is occasionally getting to hear some of them talk to the characters onscreen, usually offering such tips as "Don't go in there/ out there/ up there!!" or some variation. The Descent definitely qualifies as the ultimate "Don't go DOWN there!!" movie. Six outdoorswomen, including one who survived Part of what makes watching horror movies, good or bad, with an audience so much fun is occasionally getting to hear some of them talk to the characters onscreen, usually offering such tips as "Don't go in there/ out there/ up there!!" or some variation. The Descent definitely qualifies as the ultimate "Don't go DOWN there!!" movie. Six outdoorswomen, including one who survived an astonishing tragedy and another who's quite reminiscent of a distaff Burt Reynolds from Deliverance, only even more unduly cocky and wrongheaded, explore an unknown cave and find that being trapped inside it constitutes the LEAST of their troubles. Writer/ director Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, and absolutely no relation to Pretty Woman's Garry M.) has come up with an instant genre classic that's relatively light on explicit gore (at least by 2006 R-rated horror movie standards), replacing some of it with great use of naturalistic underground light sources (or their lack thereof) to really ramp up the tension; it's a testament to Marshall's confidence and skill that even though you don't always see everything that's happening onscreen, you're amazingly never in doubt as to what's going on. Marshall is an excellent student of the horror genre, expertly weaving together visual and audio cues, themes and motifs familiar to fans of Alien, Predator, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Final Destination and even Carrie while still making a genuine original. My one cavil with Marshall is that of the six spelunkers, only Sarah and Juno come across as well-developed characters; the other four serve, more or less, as potential raw meat. If Marshall has been studying the work of George A. Romero, who always took the trouble to individualize even the zombie victims with the least amount of screen time in his Living Dead quadrology, then it's time to take a few more lessons! Nevertheless, The Descent is otherwise a smart, sweaty, scary and intensely suspenseful little gem in which Marshall even compensates for the Britishness of his characters and cast (even though the movie mostly takes place in the Appalachian mountains) by making their differing driving habits a subtle part of the plot, and he cleverly turns the potentially cliched final minute into something that can actually be interpreted two different ways! Most of all, though, The Descent proves beyond question why camping, hiking, rafting or other outdoor expeditions are best left to Reynolds and Jon Voight in Deliverance, Keith Carradine and Powers Boothe in Southern Comfort, Joe Pesci and Danny Glover in Gone Fishin'...in short, anybody and everybody but me! Expand
  85. J.reb
    Aug 8, 2006
    Uhh...what a disappointment. Im a true horror movie fan but any sense of fear turned to humour and then bordom once you discover that the creatures look like golom from LOTR... This movie also has one of the craziest, most jarring cameras ever and gore scenes dont last longer than half a second because of it. Overall...boring characters, boring monsters, boring setting = boring movie. OnlyUhh...what a disappointment. Im a true horror movie fan but any sense of fear turned to humour and then bordom once you discover that the creatures look like golom from LOTR... This movie also has one of the craziest, most jarring cameras ever and gore scenes dont last longer than half a second because of it. Overall...boring characters, boring monsters, boring setting = boring movie. Only part that I liked was the car in the beginning. Expand
  86. HarryP.
    Aug 9, 2006
    The first genuinely scary - and I mean scary - movie in more than a decade. Take Pampers.
  87. SomeoneElse
    Aug 9, 2006
    Definitely one of the best horror films I have seen in a long time. Genuinely dense and claustrophobic, well acted, splendidly shot. I liked the endng, because in my opinion it was the only reasonable possibility. Being trapped in an uncharted cave system, not knowing where the exit is, 'low on light' and being hunted by creatures that (as one of the characters claims in the Definitely one of the best horror films I have seen in a long time. Genuinely dense and claustrophobic, well acted, splendidly shot. I liked the endng, because in my opinion it was the only reasonable possibility. Being trapped in an uncharted cave system, not knowing where the exit is, 'low on light' and being hunted by creatures that (as one of the characters claims in the film) are perfectly adapted to underground life and greatly outnumber the lovely ladies, any other ending would have seemed contrived. I saw the european version of the film, but I understand the ending was somewhat 'altered' for release in north america. Pity, but that shouldn't hold anyone back from enjoying the descent. Expand
  88. JLight
    Aug 9, 2006
    [***SPOILER***] I don't see how true horror fans couldn't get anything but a thrill out of this movie. Someone mentioned that the camera work is jarring and that the gore doesn't last long. It's this "jarring" and fleeting image work that makes this film riveting. Besides, I don't need to see the creatures devouring someone's stomach while they are still alive[***SPOILER***] I don't see how true horror fans couldn't get anything but a thrill out of this movie. Someone mentioned that the camera work is jarring and that the gore doesn't last long. It's this "jarring" and fleeting image work that makes this film riveting. Besides, I don't need to see the creatures devouring someone's stomach while they are still alive for 20 seconds. The creatures MAY resemble Golum in some way but, really, they don't. What you have here is a well-acted, well-constructed, well-executed horror film. Strongly atmospheric with several phenomenal scares that even caught me, and I consider myself a pretty stalwart guy, by surprise. It's truly a must see...ESPECIALLY in theaters. Expand
  89. Mase
    Aug 9, 2006
    Not only one of the best horror movies of the last 10 years but one of the best movies of the year!! Truly gets everything right, chills, gore, acting, suspense. A movie fan especially a horror movie fan couldnt ask for more. Most importantly we get strong female characters you actually care about which makes what happens all the more horrifying!! GO SEE!!
  90. Roquentin
    Aug 11, 2006
    Nice cinematography and music, but the combination of dimly-lit scenes, muddy faces, and an excess of quick-cut editing made it difficult to follow the action or the characters. It's a lesser film without the original British ending, which adds depth and resonance. I was hardly bored in the film, and it's better than most horror offerings these days, but this film has been overhyped.
  91. BobW.
    Aug 12, 2006
    The claustrophobics will be fine by the second half but those with weak stomachs or hearts may not.
  92. Marquis
    Aug 12, 2006
    scared the .... out of me! I think my niece will have nightmares for the next two weeks now.
  93. JohnB.
    Aug 13, 2006
    Having 6 female characters and not one guy join them is a very daring move that I really appreciated in this movie. It proves to me that you don't need a tough guy in the film to bring all the action, adventure, and violence of a good horror flick. The movie did all the right things and rarely bored you. The Descent is as daring a movie in its originality as it is an old school Having 6 female characters and not one guy join them is a very daring move that I really appreciated in this movie. It proves to me that you don't need a tough guy in the film to bring all the action, adventure, and violence of a good horror flick. The movie did all the right things and rarely bored you. The Descent is as daring a movie in its originality as it is an old school thriller that keeps to a good standard for the horror fans. The first truly thrilling and scary movie I have seen. It is definitely worth seeing and is recommended to see on the big screen compared to a rental. Expand
  94. ChadS.
    Aug 14, 2006
    Like Lars Von Trier's "Dancer in the Dark" and Thomas Vinerberg's "Dear Wendy", a European location substitutes for an American one. In this case, Scotland plays the part of the Appalachian Mountains. Those films were criticisms of America, and early in "The Descent", the woman who controls the car radio, passes on banjo music and makes a dismissive remark about Christianity. Like Lars Von Trier's "Dancer in the Dark" and Thomas Vinerberg's "Dear Wendy", a European location substitutes for an American one. In this case, Scotland plays the part of the Appalachian Mountains. Those films were criticisms of America, and early in "The Descent", the woman who controls the car radio, passes on banjo music and makes a dismissive remark about Christianity. Like the Dogma filmmakers, "The Descent" uses a few laughably slight signifiers to normalize its surroundings. If you consider this film was made in the UK and everybody is in a bloody uproar about Tony Blair's involvment with President George W. Bush, isn't it interesting that it's the American character who gets everybody killed. Like the remake of "The Hills Have Eyes", this seemingly escapist romp in the woods has a biting political subtext. Expand
  95. ClintM.
    Aug 15, 2006
    completely horrifying to me ... you feel the suffocation the cavers experience early on in the movie and then the crazy crawlers start coming out and the rest is basically you holding your breath until the final scene.
  96. GerronK.
    Aug 16, 2006
    "The Descent" is the most horrifying, chilling, enchanting and tastefully gory movie to come about in years. Not only does it prey on our fears from the things in the cave, but it does so by presenting scenes in total darkness. The movie is surprisingly restrained, but it's dark ending makes up for that. I enjoyed this movie a whole lot.
  97. RichE.
    Aug 16, 2006
    [***SPOILERS***] For me, it's a mixed bag. I liked the closed, claustrophobic effect (personally, I hate being in that situation, but I liked seeing it on the screen). It added to the tension and horror of the film and helped set things up well. The movie did have it's shocking moments and handled that well. And, in general, I could understand the characters' motivations in [***SPOILERS***] For me, it's a mixed bag. I liked the closed, claustrophobic effect (personally, I hate being in that situation, but I liked seeing it on the screen). It added to the tension and horror of the film and helped set things up well. The movie did have it's shocking moments and handled that well. And, in general, I could understand the characters' motivations in their situation and how their attitude changes occurred. On the other side, I didn't get how the tragedy that occurred in the beginning applied to rest of the movie. Why couldn't the movie just have started with the women taking a trip to Appalacia to have an adventure caving? And more needed to be developed in the relationship between the two main characters, Sarah and Juno, to have the events of the latter part of the movie make more of an impact. And yes, the cave monsters are Gollum X 1000, which we've seen before. Expand
  98. JoeAverage
    Aug 19, 2006
    If you found the ending to be contrived and rushed, you owe it to yourself to search 'descent uk ending' on the web. Yes, I detested the ending, mainly because I thought the rest of the flick was well crafted. Playful and multi-layered take on the conventional 'guy's-road-trip-gone-bad' premise. BTW If you felt the US release had a satisfying ending, don't If you found the ending to be contrived and rushed, you owe it to yourself to search 'descent uk ending' on the web. Yes, I detested the ending, mainly because I thought the rest of the flick was well crafted. Playful and multi-layered take on the conventional 'guy's-road-trip-gone-bad' premise. BTW If you felt the US release had a satisfying ending, don't bother with the UK ending (you'll probably hate it). Expand
  99. P.O.
    Aug 20, 2006
    A tense, claustrophobic, and utterly foolish film. The film is legitimately scary the second time you find the monsters but after that the entire thing falls apart. All of a sudden the cave floor becomes utterly flat with wide open spaces - so the characters can run around in fear a bit more comfortably I suppose. Don't get me started on the monsters explanation as it insults the A tense, claustrophobic, and utterly foolish film. The film is legitimately scary the second time you find the monsters but after that the entire thing falls apart. All of a sudden the cave floor becomes utterly flat with wide open spaces - so the characters can run around in fear a bit more comfortably I suppose. Don't get me started on the monsters explanation as it insults the concept of suspension of disbelief. The moral of it is both offensive (although less so in the British release as it has an additional minute or so but still awful) and upsetting. You are supposed to hate the only heroic figure in the entire film and you are ultimately horrified by the intended figure of sympathy. Also, what happened to clever british scripting? What happened to sharp dialogue and witty give and take? Why does every piece of dialogue in a british film or television (see Hex for a perfect example) show, post- trainspotting, have to sound like my junior high school locker room? Nothing but cursing, crudeness, and lame booze and sex jokes. Guess what? It's not shocking or edgy, this isn't 1950. It's just pathetic. Expand
  100. Marilyn
    Aug 23, 2006
    Although I am not castrophobic, I'm also not wild about caves so just having a bunch of women go into a largely unexplored cave was unnerving itself. The cave in & being lost was sufficient enough for a horror movie, but it did turn into one of the bloodiest movies I've ever seen. It quite scared me half to death and I was so glad to have it over.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Brutal, bloody, terrifying, astonishing... And so tense it'll leave you aching. The most significant Brit chiller since "28 Days Later."
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    The chills and spills keep comin' to agreeable effect in Brit-made scarefest The Descent.
  3. Reviewed by: Jeremy Knox
    All in all, this is an accessible art house horror film whose trailer and premise do not do justice to the end result.