The Descent

8.6

1. Jul 22, 2013
    The Descent is extremely intense and unpredictable with a dark and original story. It is brutal and terrifying, with chilling action sequences, plus that you will remember the movie for sometime, it is a decent thriller that can be one of the scariest and best horror movies ever made. (The movie is not for anyone who have claustrophobia)
  2. Oct 1, 2011
    The best horror movie ever !
  3. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Descent is of a rare breed these days, a horror film that is actually relentlessly scary. With a simple premise and nice cast to be picked away at one by one, the film is one of the jumpiest out. The setting is terrifically, creating immense claustrophobia early on. And the film is clever, easing the audience into the monsters, showing them little of the fairly simple-costumed creatures. A few points of darkness, a night-vision camera and just enough violence make the Descent an incredibly fun horror. Expand
  4. Mar 16, 2013
    CAVING! NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NOT EVER!!!!!!! This movie has guaranteed I'm a surface dweller for life! I'm a tough character, not easily daunted, but several fear inducing facets contained within this film had me frozen in wide-eyed terror! Watch it and see if I'm wrong...
  5. Aug 26, 2010
    A plot that sounds as though it is destined for B-movie massacre is saved by director Neil Marshall simply by playing by his own rules - it is comprised of an all-female cast, the first 20 minutes are actually used to develop them as characters, and the suspense and horror are all built up even before the real terror strikes.
  6. Jan 28, 2013
    Solid Horror film from the UK and one of my personal favs, but it's fails to get the high score due to somewhat of a sloppy ending. Great all-female cast head deep into a cave system and get stalked by 'crawlers', and it makes for one hell of a Horror film that would freak anyone out! There is also some great character development, especially with the leads Sarah & Juno. Overall I highlySolid Horror film from the UK and one of my personal favs, but it's fails to get the high score due to somewhat of a sloppy ending. Great all-female cast head deep into a cave system and get stalked by 'crawlers', and it makes for one hell of a Horror film that would freak anyone out! There is also some great character development, especially with the leads Sarah & Juno. Overall I highly enjoyed it and have seen it quite a few times now, and would certainly recommend it to Horror buffs! Expand
  7. Sep 2, 2014
    "The Descent" is possibly the scariest movie ever made, and it's one of the best horror movies of the 2000's, and, possibly, of all time. It's unpredictable, intense, enjoyable, and extremely original. It perfectly combines jump scares with pure tension. I give it my highest recommendation.
  8. Sep 8, 2013
    The descent is a smart original horror-action movie about six friends who go to explore an unknown cave somewhere in America. Everything is ok until they realize that in this cave some creatures live. And then the action starts. Before the appearance of the monsters it has suspense and in the beginning it is a thriller But it becomes a really good horror movie. It has scary moments, andThe descent is a smart original horror-action movie about six friends who go to explore an unknown cave somewhere in America. Everything is ok until they realize that in this cave some creatures live. And then the action starts. Before the appearance of the monsters it has suspense and in the beginning it is a thriller But it becomes a really good horror movie. It has scary moments, and suspense during the whole movie. You will be scared and you will enjoy it. Trust me. The ending was a little strange. I would like to watch the sequel just to see what will happen. I am really curious. In general the descent is a claustrophobic horror movie and I have to say that it is the first British horror movie that I watched and it was pretty good. Thumbs up! Expand
  9. May 26, 2011
    Not too original as people calm it to be since it borrowed ideas from The Times Machine, Lurking Fear, Beast in the cave, C.H.U.D. It even has the main character falling into a pool of bones like in the remade version of The Time Machine. This idea has been rehashed several times in the past hundred years. Overall it's a good movie but not that great in my eyes. 7.1/10
  10. Aug 30, 2013
    While the slow pacing may be off-putting to gorehounds expecting a train through the tunnel blood orgy, it does pick up in the final act, with blood for all, and baths of blood to spare! Featuring actresses who previously never showed any commercial or widespread acclaim, they boast their finest acting chops under direction in a flick that rattles your spine and twists your vertebrae oneWhile the slow pacing may be off-putting to gorehounds expecting a train through the tunnel blood orgy, it does pick up in the final act, with blood for all, and baths of blood to spare! Featuring actresses who previously never showed any commercial or widespread acclaim, they boast their finest acting chops under direction in a flick that rattles your spine and twists your vertebrae one by one, as the minutes tick on. As you slowly watch each character be ripped limb to limb in the faintest lights by darkness, your mind begins to feel emotion as you realize you spent the first near hour actually growing fond of these women and their character development (how shocking for the Horror genre!) While The Descent may not be a classic to be praised for generations to come, it works best at delivering an hour of building tension, before 30 minutes of an relentlessness terror that leaves a bad thought of regret (if viewing the flaw-free director's cut ending.) Expand
  11. AnneN.
    Dec 6, 2007
    brilliant and original film, bit of a crap ending though
  12. IanReyP
    Apr 9, 2008
    Anybody who does not like this movie will never like any horror movie at all! It's just one of the best horror movies done! A simple story but very innovative idea!
  13. M
    May 29, 2008
    It was a very solid horror film. Little corny with monsters, but intensity pacing was far superior to most recent horror films. It's a mix of Shining, Aliens, and Deliverance.
  14. RandyM.
    Aug 15, 2008
    While this shockingly chilling horror movie might not appeal to everyone, those who do happen to find appeal in it will be utterly terrified by the fresh breath that Neil Marshall breathes into a much recycled horror genre. The subtle bits and pieces that he places within the film are nothing short of brilliant.
  15. JohnS.
    Aug 25, 2008
    The Descent is the kind of movie that will see a fair share of play time on the Sci-Fi channel, but it was thrilling nevertheless.
  16. KorayD.
    Feb 6, 2009
    If you want to experience real clousthrophobic terror this is a really good film. I am still feeling repressed as I am writing.
  17. ClifC.
    Mar 9, 2009
    What is interesting is how characters react when they are confronted to fear itself. The plot is well constructed and the last scene is mentally shocking. Some special effects (with the camera) are weird and almost unwatchable, and the acting is not good.
  18. ScottN
    Jun 7, 2009
    Definitely one of the more effectively-creep horror movies to come out in the theatres in the past several years IMO. In fact, I think this movie could have been just as scary (or even moreso) without the blind, flesh-eating creatures. The first 45 minutes of the movie before the creatures start showing up will really get you going, especially for any of you clostrophobes out there. To Definitely one of the more effectively-creep horror movies to come out in the theatres in the past several years IMO. In fact, I think this movie could have been just as scary (or even moreso) without the blind, flesh-eating creatures. The first 45 minutes of the movie before the creatures start showing up will really get you going, especially for any of you clostrophobes out there. To me, the simple situation of finding yourselves in a cave system and not knowing if you will be able to ever find your way out is even scarier than when the blood and gore starts to flow.. But regardless, a very well done movie that is sure to give you the willies. My only complaint is about the so cliche "fooled ya!" type of ending that has been so over done.. Either let the girl escape or don't, but don't do the old "ok, that didn't really happen" thing. Please. But that didn't ruin the movie - I still highly recommend watching it at least once. Expand
  19. SteveG
    Nov 29, 2005
    Great stuff. Claustraphobic, tense and dark horror....and thats even before it kicks in as a horror film. Unknown cast excell and add to the unpredictability of the whole film. Lit only by the headlamps and glowsticks this really creates genuine shocks and one stand out jump that had me splilling my popcorn.
  20. Ken-StianP.
    Dec 2, 2005
    Bloody brilliant! Excuse the pun. But this film had me shivering from the get-go. Good job, Mr. Marshall!
  21. JonathanB
    Dec 8, 2005
    Scary, dark and tightly scripted. There's surprises, twists and some truly nasty horror moments. Another great film from brit director Neil Marshall.
  22. charlyp
    Dec 9, 2005
    Magnifico ejercicio de estilo y de terror claustrofóbico. Filmada con excelente pulso y bien interpretada. Abstengase gente impresionable...asusta de verdad y no se corta con las secuencias violentas. Un festín para cualquier amante del buen cine de terror....algunos deberían aprender y saber que es lo que nunca debieron hacer el último verano.
  23. ChristianC.
    Dec 14, 2005
    Easily the best horror movie of 2005 and the best British movie since Shaun Of The Dead. Scarier and darker than anything produced by the US in over a decade. Hollywood take note - this is how horror should be.
  24. BenA.
    Dec 27, 2005
    Absolutely brilliant. Tons of gore, great acting, great story...great everything! Top notch movie, highly recommended. Get ready to be scared!
  25. DanielK.
    Feb 12, 2006
    Der beste Horrorfilm seit langer Zeit, ohne Teenager und ohne Happy End. Gott sei Dank bin ich nicht klaustrophobisch, diese Enge würde mich sonst verrückt machen. Kann diesen Film jedem Horror-Fan empfehlen.
  26. TobiasO.
    Mar 3, 2006
    Well done British thriller. I've read that Lions Gate will be changing the ending for the US release. What else is new? American studios don't have the courage to make films like this without some gimmicky"let's treat everyone like their 8 years old" jump-scare ending. But isn't it nice to know the original British ending will be "an extra" on the US dvd release. Well done British thriller. I've read that Lions Gate will be changing the ending for the US release. What else is new? American studios don't have the courage to make films like this without some gimmicky"let's treat everyone like their 8 years old" jump-scare ending. But isn't it nice to know the original British ending will be "an extra" on the US dvd release. Marketing at its finest! Expand
  27. KevinE.
    Apr 21, 2006
    the strongest creature feature in years, good acting, well directed, excellent cinematography, makes a fool out of the cave. If this is your kind of movie, it's a must see.
  28. BértilR.
    May 26, 2006
    The best horror movie I've seen in many years, its really does his works.
  29. OliverD.
    Jun 15, 2006
    Most effective horror movie in years! Neil Marshall does a brilliant job delivering on almost all human primal fears. Razor sharp technique and earie set design paared with good acting and frightening sound effects make for the most frightening movie I have seen in many years.
  30. JoeM.
    Jun 18, 2006
    How unusual to watch a horror film that actually delivers. Great camerawork, editing, acting and sound plus just the right amount of grand guignol in the final act. Plus a hauntingly downbeat ending. Marshall's the man.
  31. RobertK.
    Jun 20, 2006
    The best horror movie in a long, long time, and especially for 2005/2006. You don't want to miss this one, especially if you can see it in the theaters.
  32. JoeC.
    Jun 23, 2006
    Relentless. Grim. The best horror movie of the last 15 years.
  33. Jake
    Jul 19, 2006
    The first 2/3 of the movie are brilliant as the suspense slowly builds. The pacing is great and it really lets you absorb the "scenery." Unfortunately, once it is revealed what exactly lurks in the cave, the film loses steam, and what wants to be an intense climax seems somewhat rushed. Has it's fair share of scary moments, but it's kind of a one trick pony. I guess there's The first 2/3 of the movie are brilliant as the suspense slowly builds. The pacing is great and it really lets you absorb the "scenery." Unfortunately, once it is revealed what exactly lurks in the cave, the film loses steam, and what wants to be an intense climax seems somewhat rushed. Has it's fair share of scary moments, but it's kind of a one trick pony. I guess there's only so much you could do in a cave. Fortunately the ending is so great it made me forget about most of the flaws. Expand
  34. RachelR.
    Jul 21, 2006
    Saw this film at the LA Film Festival and actually levitated out of my seat. I think the screams from the audience could have been heard all the way to San Francisco. I'm not usually a fan of horror movies, but this is the best movie I've seen all year.
  35. PabloF.
    Jul 26, 2006
    It's one of the best pictures of horror that i can see in a long time.
  36. RikJ.
    Jul 28, 2006
    Great horror flick ! I had no clue for the first 45 minutes that it was anything but a well-done indie drama about loss and bonding. Man, was I wrong! Very well directed, shot and lit. Hope it comes to the US so I can see it on the big screen!
  37. MRPT
    Jul 29, 2006
    This is an old movie not new this year, unless its getting re-released or something. Anyway its well worth watching. The paranoia of the women and the claustrophobia of the caves is captured well. The tension that builds keeps you peering through the darkness to see what
  38. SamS.
    Jul 30, 2006
    Brilliant and terryfying. Great plot, suspenceful until the last twist. Excellent classic.
  39. SashaO.
    Jul 30, 2006
    I left this movie crying and trebling. I must say i was truely disturbed and effected. I would not recomend seeing it. I have sat through most horror films without a twitch, always knowing what to expect and almost NEVER getting scared. But this time, the suprises were endless and the horror was so real that i wet myself. It makes the Texas Chainsaw Massacure look like Barney and The Ring I left this movie crying and trebling. I must say i was truely disturbed and effected. I would not recomend seeing it. I have sat through most horror films without a twitch, always knowing what to expect and almost NEVER getting scared. But this time, the suprises were endless and the horror was so real that i wet myself. It makes the Texas Chainsaw Massacure look like Barney and The Ring look like Peter Pan. The scariest movie of all time. More so then the Evil Dead. Absoultly terrifying. Expand
  40. BobB.
    Jul 30, 2006
    I had my eyes closed half of the movie. Absolusly terryifying. Perfect beggining. Amazing ending. I would see it 100 times more.
  41. BittyR.
    Jul 30, 2006
    Supurb acting and amazing horror. great twists and great director. well done, well lit and really smart plot. instant classic.
  42. BittyR.
  50. BittyR.
  51. BittyR.
  52. MarkS.
    Aug 1, 2006
    Easily the best horror film of 2005. Potentially the best horror film of the last 10 years. Anyone who compares it to The Cave needs to be sectioned. This is superior fare.
    Aug 3, 2006
    Classic artwork...brilliant like no other horor film of the past 20 years. Absolutely breathtaking.
  54. MichaelL.
    Aug 5, 2006
    Scariest film I've seen in a long while. Yes, it's derivative, and yes, it's flawed. But, it's well acted, well directed, and creepy as hell. Personally, I feel the gore factor got a bit absurd near the end--excess is not always a good thing. It became desensitizing. But all in all, a welcome relief from Japanese-based "poor little girl was mistreated by her Mommy so Scariest film I've seen in a long while. Yes, it's derivative, and yes, it's flawed. But, it's well acted, well directed, and creepy as hell. Personally, I feel the gore factor got a bit absurd near the end--excess is not always a good thing. It became desensitizing. But all in all, a welcome relief from Japanese-based "poor little girl was mistreated by her Mommy so now she's back to kill everyone" tedium. Let's hear it for strong women. And endings that aren't Hollywood happy. (My knees are still shaking...) Expand
  55. DirkA.
    Aug 5, 2006
    The Descent is solid 70's style horror filmmaking at its finest and though not the Alien 2006 its ads make it out to be, it is easily the best horror film of the year.
  56. DrewF.
    Aug 5, 2006
    Tremendous horror effort. One of the best films i've seen this year PERIOD. The altered ending doesn't change THAT much (both endings are [spoiler omitted] in my opinion), but i do slightly prefer the original ending. Brings everything full-circle.
  57. RobertI.
    Aug 5, 2006
    What a perfect premise for a horror film--the claustrophobic passages of an uncharted cave. Ironically, the shock value diminishes when the creatures appear: nothing beats the nerve-jangling apprehension of the dark and slimey unknown. An shrieking, instant classic.
  58. DaveB.
    Aug 6, 2006
    Scary as hell. This movie makes Saw 2 and The Hills Have Eyes (newer version) look like Captain Kangaroo. Honestly very chilling and extremely gory. Anybody that compares this movie to The Cave (worst movie I've seen lately) needs their head examined. If you are a fan of horror movies go see this flick....an awesome feast of blood and gore.
  59. KellyA.
    Aug 7, 2006
    Loved it. I'd heard from friends who had gone to see it on friday that it was scary as hell, and they were right! Great to see a horror film with strong, capable women who can act.
  60. DorsetJD
    Aug 7, 2006
    Great pace - not too dark - watch -enjoy - jump !
  61. JoshW.
    Aug 7, 2006
    This movie did it all right. It's really rare that a horror movie delivers great scares, let alone great cinematography, acting, story, etc..
  62. Ross
    Aug 7, 2006
    This movie acheives sustained tension, and is extremely convincing. Even BEFORE the creatures of the latter half of this movie appeared, it kept me on the edge of my seat. More a "survival thriller" than a horror movie, this was certainly well made. Check it out if you like this genre.
  63. FrankN.S.
    Aug 7, 2006
    The Descent had a fistful of great scares and some amazing directing. I found that it actually had a lot of strengths. I agree with several of the critics that the first half of the movie was the strongest. The acting and cinematography was fantastic, and there was so much psychological tension that it almost made the monster attack feel like kind of a dumbing-down. I hate to say it, The Descent had a fistful of great scares and some amazing directing. I found that it actually had a lot of strengths. I agree with several of the critics that the first half of the movie was the strongest. The acting and cinematography was fantastic, and there was so much psychological tension that it almost made the monster attack feel like kind of a dumbing-down. I hate to say it, because as mentioned before, this movie got SO many things right that the majority of horror movies get wrong. I would still recommend it, for sure, but no, it is not as classic as Alien, and I still feel as though the plot could have been much more interesting near the end. The attack scenes got a bit repetitive. Last but not least, it discourages me to think that it is getting put in the same range as Saw and Hostel. Saw was for 12 year olds and Hostel was a try hard. The Descent deserves better. Expand
  64. MarkB.
    Aug 8, 2006
    Part of what makes watching horror movies, good or bad, with an audience so much fun is occasionally getting to hear some of them talk to the characters onscreen, usually offering such tips as "Don't go in there/ out there/ up there!!" or some variation. The Descent definitely qualifies as the ultimate "Don't go DOWN there!!" movie. Six outdoorswomen, including one who survived Part of what makes watching horror movies, good or bad, with an audience so much fun is occasionally getting to hear some of them talk to the characters onscreen, usually offering such tips as "Don't go in there/ out there/ up there!!" or some variation. The Descent definitely qualifies as the ultimate "Don't go DOWN there!!" movie. Six outdoorswomen, including one who survived an astonishing tragedy and another who's quite reminiscent of a distaff Burt Reynolds from Deliverance, only even more unduly cocky and wrongheaded, explore an unknown cave and find that being trapped inside it constitutes the LEAST of their troubles. Writer/ director Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, and absolutely no relation to Pretty Woman's Garry M.) has come up with an instant genre classic that's relatively light on explicit gore (at least by 2006 R-rated horror movie standards), replacing some of it with great use of naturalistic underground light sources (or their lack thereof) to really ramp up the tension; it's a testament to Marshall's confidence and skill that even though you don't always see everything that's happening onscreen, you're amazingly never in doubt as to what's going on. Marshall is an excellent student of the horror genre, expertly weaving together visual and audio cues, themes and motifs familiar to fans of Alien, Predator, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Final Destination and even Carrie while still making a genuine original. My one cavil with Marshall is that of the six spelunkers, only Sarah and Juno come across as well-developed characters; the other four serve, more or less, as potential raw meat. If Marshall has been studying the work of George A. Romero, who always took the trouble to individualize even the zombie victims with the least amount of screen time in his Living Dead quadrology, then it's time to take a few more lessons! Nevertheless, The Descent is otherwise a smart, sweaty, scary and intensely suspenseful little gem in which Marshall even compensates for the Britishness of his characters and cast (even though the movie mostly takes place in the Appalachian mountains) by making their differing driving habits a subtle part of the plot, and he cleverly turns the potentially cliched final minute into something that can actually be interpreted two different ways! Most of all, though, The Descent proves beyond question why camping, hiking, rafting or other outdoor expeditions are best left to Reynolds and Jon Voight in Deliverance, Keith Carradine and Powers Boothe in Southern Comfort, Joe Pesci and Danny Glover in Gone Fishin'...in short, anybody and everybody but me! Expand
  65. HarryP.
    Aug 9, 2006
    The first genuinely scary - and I mean scary - movie in more than a decade. Take Pampers.
  66. SomeoneElse
    Aug 9, 2006
    Definitely one of the best horror films I have seen in a long time. Genuinely dense and claustrophobic, well acted, splendidly shot. I liked the endng, because in my opinion it was the only reasonable possibility. Being trapped in an uncharted cave system, not knowing where the exit is, 'low on light' and being hunted by creatures that (as one of the characters claims in the Definitely one of the best horror films I have seen in a long time. Genuinely dense and claustrophobic, well acted, splendidly shot. I liked the endng, because in my opinion it was the only reasonable possibility. Being trapped in an uncharted cave system, not knowing where the exit is, 'low on light' and being hunted by creatures that (as one of the characters claims in the film) are perfectly adapted to underground life and greatly outnumber the lovely ladies, any other ending would have seemed contrived. I saw the european version of the film, but I understand the ending was somewhat 'altered' for release in north america. Pity, but that shouldn't hold anyone back from enjoying the descent. Expand
  67. JLight
    Aug 9, 2006
    [***SPOILER***] I don't see how true horror fans couldn't get anything but a thrill out of this movie. Someone mentioned that the camera work is jarring and that the gore doesn't last long. It's this "jarring" and fleeting image work that makes this film riveting. Besides, I don't need to see the creatures devouring someone's stomach while they are still alive[***SPOILER***] I don't see how true horror fans couldn't get anything but a thrill out of this movie. Someone mentioned that the camera work is jarring and that the gore doesn't last long. It's this "jarring" and fleeting image work that makes this film riveting. Besides, I don't need to see the creatures devouring someone's stomach while they are still alive for 20 seconds. The creatures MAY resemble Golum in some way but, really, they don't. What you have here is a well-acted, well-constructed, well-executed horror film. Strongly atmospheric with several phenomenal scares that even caught me, and I consider myself a pretty stalwart guy, by surprise. It's truly a must see...ESPECIALLY in theaters. Expand
  68. Mase
    Aug 9, 2006
    Not only one of the best horror movies of the last 10 years but one of the best movies of the year!! Truly gets everything right, chills, gore, acting, suspense. A movie fan especially a horror movie fan couldnt ask for more. Most importantly we get strong female characters you actually care about which makes what happens all the more horrifying!! GO SEE!!
  69. BobW.
    Aug 12, 2006
    The claustrophobics will be fine by the second half but those with weak stomachs or hearts may not.
  70. Marquis
    Aug 12, 2006
    scared the .... out of me! I think my niece will have nightmares for the next two weeks now.
  71. JohnB.
    Aug 13, 2006
    Having 6 female characters and not one guy join them is a very daring move that I really appreciated in this movie. It proves to me that you don't need a tough guy in the film to bring all the action, adventure, and violence of a good horror flick. The movie did all the right things and rarely bored you. The Descent is as daring a movie in its originality as it is an old school Having 6 female characters and not one guy join them is a very daring move that I really appreciated in this movie. It proves to me that you don't need a tough guy in the film to bring all the action, adventure, and violence of a good horror flick. The movie did all the right things and rarely bored you. The Descent is as daring a movie in its originality as it is an old school thriller that keeps to a good standard for the horror fans. The first truly thrilling and scary movie I have seen. It is definitely worth seeing and is recommended to see on the big screen compared to a rental. Expand
  72. ChadS.
    Aug 14, 2006
    Like Lars Von Trier's "Dancer in the Dark" and Thomas Vinerberg's "Dear Wendy", a European location substitutes for an American one. In this case, Scotland plays the part of the Appalachian Mountains. Those films were criticisms of America, and early in "The Descent", the woman who controls the car radio, passes on banjo music and makes a dismissive remark about Christianity. Like Lars Von Trier's "Dancer in the Dark" and Thomas Vinerberg's "Dear Wendy", a European location substitutes for an American one. In this case, Scotland plays the part of the Appalachian Mountains. Those films were criticisms of America, and early in "The Descent", the woman who controls the car radio, passes on banjo music and makes a dismissive remark about Christianity. Like the Dogma filmmakers, "The Descent" uses a few laughably slight signifiers to normalize its surroundings. If you consider this film was made in the UK and everybody is in a bloody uproar about Tony Blair's involvment with President George W. Bush, isn't it interesting that it's the American character who gets everybody killed. Like the remake of "The Hills Have Eyes", this seemingly escapist romp in the woods has a biting political subtext. Expand
  73. ClintM.
    Aug 15, 2006
    completely horrifying to me ... you feel the suffocation the cavers experience early on in the movie and then the crazy crawlers start coming out and the rest is basically you holding your breath until the final scene.
  74. GerronK.
    Aug 16, 2006
    "The Descent" is the most horrifying, chilling, enchanting and tastefully gory movie to come about in years. Not only does it prey on our fears from the things in the cave, but it does so by presenting scenes in total darkness. The movie is surprisingly restrained, but it's dark ending makes up for that. I enjoyed this movie a whole lot.
  75. JoeAverage
    Aug 19, 2006
    If you found the ending to be contrived and rushed, you owe it to yourself to search 'descent uk ending' on the web. Yes, I detested the ending, mainly because I thought the rest of the flick was well crafted. Playful and multi-layered take on the conventional 'guy's-road-trip-gone-bad' premise. BTW If you felt the US release had a satisfying ending, don't If you found the ending to be contrived and rushed, you owe it to yourself to search 'descent uk ending' on the web. Yes, I detested the ending, mainly because I thought the rest of the flick was well crafted. Playful and multi-layered take on the conventional 'guy's-road-trip-gone-bad' premise. BTW If you felt the US release had a satisfying ending, don't bother with the UK ending (you'll probably hate it). Expand
  76. BooBerry
    Aug 24, 2006
    This movie is scary. There are some plot holes for those that can't suspend disbelief, but that is very minor compared to the overall emotion and fear this movie will create at times. The unique thing about this movie is unlike the horror movies of the 70s and 80s, these girls aren't exactly helpless damsels. That also is what makes it emotional because their heroics, for most, This movie is scary. There are some plot holes for those that can't suspend disbelief, but that is very minor compared to the overall emotion and fear this movie will create at times. The unique thing about this movie is unlike the horror movies of the 70s and 80s, these girls aren't exactly helpless damsels. That also is what makes it emotional because their heroics, for most, will be in vain. The creatures at first are horrifying, but near the end I found them becoming "video gamed" up. The girls could meet one challenge so now we give you two creatures...then more...it took away from the movies better scenes of girl vs. the unknown in the dark. I guess the best sign that this movie was good, was that I was glad it was over and secretly felt I had to get on the internet just to see the actors were ok because you feel close to the characters they played. Good fun, those that are afraid of caves may hate the panic attack moments in this movie though. Expand
  77. ColinM.
    Aug 25, 2006
    Easily the best horror movie in many years. Very interesting dynamics between the characters and some truly frightening sequences that combine four primal human fears: heights, enclosed spaces, monsters, and the dark. Highly recommended.
  78. RobE
    Sep 13, 2006
    The horror / chiller genre is my favorite, and although I am no so called 'expert' I do like to think I know when I have seen a good movie and not just a scary one. When I first started to watch this film I thought it was just going to be another usual run of the mill horror/chase film. I was so, so wrong. This has to be one if not the best horror I have seen ever. Very, very The horror / chiller genre is my favorite, and although I am no so called 'expert' I do like to think I know when I have seen a good movie and not just a scary one. When I first started to watch this film I thought it was just going to be another usual run of the mill horror/chase film. I was so, so wrong. This has to be one if not the best horror I have seen ever. Very, very few films get me jumping in any way but this one did, that is one sign a horror has worked. Secondly it was not mindless. The character set up in the film was first class. Ok it was probably no 'Oscar' performance, but for a horror? It was the best you will see in many horror films. You actually felt something for the characters and wanted them to get to safety which is not always the case in a horror. Yes, I did hear the US ending to the film was rubbish, so I am glad I live in the UK. If you Expand
  79. Rashid
    Sep 19, 2006
    I enjoyed it so much. I am the fan of horror films but I was disappointed because in recent year no horror film could make me feel frightened until I saw this movie last month.
  80. andyw.
    Dec 26, 2006
    I actually saw this a long time ago and the fact that I remember most of this genuinely terrifying film speaks for itself - especially in this current climate of instantly forgettable totally unoriginal 'horror' films. At a guess I would have to say those who claim this film to be 'boring' may well be a bunch of sugar-addicted 12-year-olds who require explosions and/or I actually saw this a long time ago and the fact that I remember most of this genuinely terrifying film speaks for itself - especially in this current climate of instantly forgettable totally unoriginal 'horror' films. At a guess I would have to say those who claim this film to be 'boring' may well be a bunch of sugar-addicted 12-year-olds who require explosions and/or gratuitous nudity every 5 minutes in order to hold their feeble attention spans. This film works because of the constant cranking up of the tension not because of constant bangs and flashes. Collapse
  81. BB
    Dec 26, 2006
    Considering how awful this year was for horror.... This movie makes up for it. Best horror movie of 2006.
  82. CoryH
    Dec 26, 2006
    This is my definition of a horror flick. It gives you time to care about the characters. It gives you time to care about their situation. It makes you want to know what's going to happen next. I see a lot of negative reviews from people that find the opening hour boring. I'll be these are the same people that LOVE The Thing, The Exorcist, or Alien. In all three of the above This is my definition of a horror flick. It gives you time to care about the characters. It gives you time to care about their situation. It makes you want to know what's going to happen next. I see a lot of negative reviews from people that find the opening hour boring. I'll be these are the same people that LOVE The Thing, The Exorcist, or Alien. In all three of the above mentioned movies, nothing REALLY scary happens for a good half hour to forty five minutes. Why? BECAUSE THE BACKDROP HAS TO BE SET TO SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!! This movie is fantastic and should be viewed by any horror fan. Hands down. Next question please. Expand
  83. halb
    Dec 29, 2006
    A very good horror film; not great, but very effective. A descent into horror and a descent into madness. As other reviewers have noted, you DO get to know and care about some of the characters (at least more than your average horror flick). And there are at least a good 6 or 7 jump-from-your-seat moments! The ending has a nice, nasty little twist to it.
  84. Riren
    Jan 6, 2007
    Hey its not as good as the classic horror movies such as the Excorcist, The Thing, and Alien but it is a very good jump out of your seat fun. The begining of the movie made it very suspensful and the violence was pretty gruesome but the only thing that kept this movie at a 8 was because the monsters could have been a little creepier and scarier but other than that best horror flick 2006.
  85. MattR.
    Jan 15, 2007
    "Thrillingly terrific and terrifying" would be the phrase that immediately comes to mind when I think of "The Descent", Neil Marshall's horror masterpiece. Never have I viewed such a claustrophobic film, where my heart is literally beating out of my chest at the mere sight of a tunnel.
  86. BobbyE.
    Jan 18, 2007
    I can't remember the last time I was actually genuinely frightened by a scene that made me really jump in a movie. If you have seen this movie you know what I'm talking about and the scene a little before was as tough to watch as anything I've ever watched. Not a great movie but definitely worth while and I suggest you check it.
  87. MiguelL.
    Jan 28, 2007
    This was a good thriller with a plot line that kept me on my toes. The acting was good and the cast fit well with one another. Overall, a great "don't-watch-this-alone" movie.
  88. NickB
    Feb 13, 2007
    Unexpectedly good film, I had been told by others to check it out without knowing anything of the premise. I watched the unrated director's cut, which definitely pulled no punches. Fans of H.P. Lovecraft in cinema take note: while this is not a Lovecraft film per se, it easily fits all tropes and elements of the genre. As for me, as a jaded horror fan, it's nice to run across a Unexpectedly good film, I had been told by others to check it out without knowing anything of the premise. I watched the unrated director's cut, which definitely pulled no punches. Fans of H.P. Lovecraft in cinema take note: while this is not a Lovecraft film per se, it easily fits all tropes and elements of the genre. As for me, as a jaded horror fan, it's nice to run across a movie that made me jump out of my skin about ten times during the movie. Very hard to do to me anymore! I look forward to more work from this director. Expand
  89. DaveE
    Feb 18, 2007
    Great, great, great. Best horror flick I've seen in 15 years. If you know what a good movie is, ignore all negative reviews of this flick. Those writers obvious idiots.
  90. RD.
    Mar 25, 2007
    Very good horror. Such a horror movie comes only once ina few years.
  91. ND.
    Apr 1, 2007
    Far better than I expected (hadnt read any reviews when we rented it out) - plenty of jumpy bits( girlfriend almost went through the roof when we first see the creature lol). Worth watching if you like gory chillers.
  92. Nov 21, 2010
    This film was enjoyable, well paced and certainly scary enough for most. It's tempting to think that perhaps the beasts in the cave were unnecessary, as the cave itself was forbodeing enough.
  93. May 29, 2011
    A excelent movie of suspense that compense certain conventions knowing explore very well the claustrophobic climate and the strain implied, besides as well as reckon an interested feminine time of actress. To the surface tension, suspense of the good. Every horror movie has that premise that, at first, nothing seems innovator. The objective the Descent is to show how it's possible doA excelent movie of suspense that compense certain conventions knowing explore very well the claustrophobic climate and the strain implied, besides as well as reckon an interested feminine time of actress. To the surface tension, suspense of the good. Every horror movie has that premise that, at first, nothing seems innovator. The objective the Descent is to show how it's possible do something with quality using the same product. Every scene is going be more deep and the idea of the total darkness scenes were brilliant. Expand
  94. Apr 27, 2012
    Hands down one of the best horror movies of the 2000s. It's got scares, boat loads of blood and a near perfect pace to match the intensity. Underground evolved humans rejoice!
  95. May 30, 2012
    To be honest, maybe one of the best horror films i have ever seen. It was very unpredictable and gory. I do admit I had to cover my eyes from one death scene, but other than that I was very impressed with the filming and the sets. A definite must see!
  96. Sep 24, 2012
    The descent seemed a bit overwhelming, terrifying and gore. I like just enough to rate it a 7. There is a movie that you recommend but ................ okay.
  97. Nov 7, 2014
    It's brutal,gore and the monsters are terrifying,this movie is just incredible.The female characters are plausible and the scenario is good.Probably one the most scary movie in years.
  98. Dec 23, 2014
    This is one of the best horror films I have ever seen as long as it is seen unedited with its original ending. I recently saw it again on TV and was so disappointed at its "hopeful" new ending. Since I tend to be claustrophobic "The Descent" made me intensely uncomfortable. All horror buffs should see this film but only the unedited version which makes it that much more frightening.
  99. Feb 23, 2015
    The Descent is a very fantastic horror that definitely shows that not all horror movies these days suck. It has likable characters and an intriguing, yet dark plot. However, while there are plenty of great scares in the film, it does host some cheap "boo!" moments as well. And this may be nitpicking, but there are so many questions that could be asked about the crawlers that result in plotThe Descent is a very fantastic horror that definitely shows that not all horror movies these days suck. It has likable characters and an intriguing, yet dark plot. However, while there are plenty of great scares in the film, it does host some cheap "boo!" moments as well. And this may be nitpicking, but there are so many questions that could be asked about the crawlers that result in plot holes in the movie that I won't even go on about. All-in-all, fantastic movie that is a must-watch for any horror fans. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Brutal, bloody, terrifying, astonishing... And so tense it'll leave you aching. The most significant Brit chiller since "28 Days Later."
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    The chills and spills keep comin' to agreeable effect in Brit-made scarefest The Descent.
  3. Reviewed by: Jeremy Knox
    All in all, this is an accessible art house horror film whose trailer and premise do not do justice to the end result.