6.3

1. May 20, 2012
    Haha, all people beneath me are hating the movie... I liked it very much tough, just laughing, not the best plot ever, but i can live with that!! not every movie can be the green mile or something. and of course its stupid sometimes, but Sacha Baron Cohen's face makes a lot good.
  2. May 22, 2012
    Waaaaay funnier than the other garbage that's out there currently passing for comedy cinema. Don't listen to the humorless nay-sayers. This film is well worth a look.
  3. May 24, 2012
    I wasn't expecting much from this movie but it blew me away. It was really funny and worth the money to see it. I didnt like Borat or Bruno but really loved this.
  4. May 19, 2012
    Either you get Sascha Baron Cohen, or you don't! This is him at his best! Or worst! Depending on which camp you reside. There are those fence post riding nanby panbies, who just loved Borat, but just don't get the other films? Wankers! Borat was not just some happy little accident made by an over the top wannabe! It was a piece of a large puzzle, given to you by the worlds next Charlie Chaplin. Like it! Don't like it, Baron Cohen led you to the choice. But ultimately it's up to your brain to understand. As with all his work, I thought it very mind openingly funny! Expand
  5. May 16, 2012
    It is one of Sasha Baron Cohen's film and his first scripted. Funny, but cliche. Decent comedy and worth the price of admission. Even the Anchorman 2 teaser was worth the admission...
  6. May 19, 2012
    I loved the movie, it had its laugh out loud moments. The script is great, lots of fun, a little bit of politics, and great jokes by SBC. I highy recommend it!
  7. May 21, 2012
    In my opinion, this was just as funny as Borat. Maybe even better. I loved 'The Dictator'. As well as hilariously crude humour, the plot was a great one with great actors, great lines and great...greatness. I was quite sad at the fact it was only 83 minutes as some scenes felt a bit uncompleted and lacking in some more dialogue which could have helped to boost the rating up even more.
    However, this is definitely the funniest film I have seen all year, in my opinion. Bravo to Sasha Baron Cohen and his character of General Aladeen for giving me an incredibly fun and hilarious 83 minutes.
  8. May 19, 2012
    What a wonderfully funny movie. Warning, if you are offended by vulgar humor, this movie may not be for you; but most of the rest of us will be laughing whole-heartedly.
    So many cute gags, an awful lot of clever writing.
    Loud laughter came from all directions around me, all throughout the movie.
  9. May 18, 2012
    i have not laughed like this for a long time, the movie was hilarious and definitely not for everyone, if you have a crude sense of humour and its very un pc
  10. May 26, 2012
    Brilliant , its as good as borat if not better , the trailer and reviews really don't do it justice. Brilliant progression of constant hilarity.All the best bits are offensive so aren't in the trailer.
  11. May 19, 2012
    I will start off by saying I do enjoy Sacha Baron Cohen and find him very funny even thought I thought Bruno was weak and Ali G was better as a show or short clips I had seen the reviews on this site about people leaving the cinema early and thought may be the same again. But this ended up being the funniest film I have seen this year the whole cinema was in fits of laughter as well. Some stuff I can see people being offended by but that's the risk you take with his movie's but all in all this is up there with Borat very funny movie a must see. Expand
  12. May 18, 2012
    One of the funnier movies I've seen in a while. It really picks up steam around the halfway mark. You will probably be offended if you identify with crunchy hipster puss1es who live in park slope and williamsburg but that's what made it funny for me. Definitely not pc and definitely worth seeing.
  13. Jul 26, 2012
    Awsome movie, laughed like 1/3 of the movie. Loved it, i guess that many people find it offensive but cmon, its only jokes. Jews stop dislikeing it!!!!!!!!!
  14. May 19, 2012
    Angels: Sacha Baron Cohen-funny, original, gross, satirical, brilliant...what can I say. Actually, I wanted to stop here Angels, but the site would not let me.

Play you harps beautifully Angels.
  15. May 23, 2012
    I did not expect this movie to be good. I expected this movie to be mediocre at best, as many of these slap-stick comedies are just too stupid and immature. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised to find that the movie was pretty hysterical, IF you don't take it seriously. The jokes are not sophisticated and the humor is simple... but IT WORKS. This movie doesn't take itself seriously and neither should you. The movie gets off to a slow start but gets funnier farther along. I found myself chuckling through the majority of the movie, and laughing out loud (loudly) several times. Most negative reviewers are comparing this movie to Borat, claiming Borat to be the far superior movie. However, this movie IS NOT Borat. This movie is simply a very well done "leave your brain at the door" comedy (which are hard to come by these days) and contains plenty of laughs, as long as you do not go in expecting to be blown away. Definitely worth 10 dollars. Expand
  16. Aug 28, 2012
    Excellent film. Film of the year for me so far, Many laughs were had, Thanks SBC for another great film. Actor of the decade. Very creative and original, could watch it again and again.
  17. Aug 8, 2012
    I don't understand why everyone is bashing this movie-- it was great! I had a smile on my face through the whole movie. Another great piece from Sacha. Everyone knows that the movie "Borat" is an absolute legend, and I'd be even willing to say that this reaches easily it's level. Watching this movie made my day so much better. Obviously some are going to find it offensive, but as for me, I have a very dark sort of humor. If you loved Borat, you're going to love this one. If you didn't love Borat, you'll still love this one. Expand
  18. Oct 22, 2013
    Behind all the crude, obscene and derogatory content that makes up the still hilarious film that is 'The Dictator', it directly pokes fun at democratic governments around the world, becoming a perfect political satire while also playing on the funny bones, Sacha Baron Cohen proves to be original in his content, while also pulling no punches at who gets caught in the firing line. This is the first scripted film Cohen has created, it falls a fluid story compared to the equally as hilarious but cringeworthy 'Borat' and 'Bruno', yet when I went to see the film, the cinema was in complete uproar, all in a good way of course, it certainly pushes boundaries but addresses the dark and black comedy that people seem to relate to today, its short and snappy at 89 minutes long, but feels just the right about of funny. Cohen plays the role of Admiral General Aladeen of Wadiya, he acts like we assume a dictator would, big palace, plenty of worshipping followers and a flamboyant lifestyle of sex encounters with celebrities, this set up includes a small role for Megan Fox, which is hysterical as we are then shown his wall of conquests, males included. But his life is always in danger, not only because of his regime and his slimy right hand man Tahir (Ben Kingsley), but he plays judge. jury and executioner (or so he thinks) as he will uses his power to dispose of any man who deceives him, yet this even comes down to a nuclear warhead not being pointy enough. When his visit to America ends i na betrayal of trust, he is thrust into the streets of New York unknown, as his iconic beard has been removed, he finds a radical anti-Aladeen health store run by Zoey (Anna Faris), unaware of his real identity, she lets him into her life. Faris has really let herself be the subject of many puns and putdowns throughout the film, growing real armpit hair and even being called a "chubby Justin Bieber". Its full of direct attacks at everything involving the American Dream, and a particular scene in a helicopter with two tourists perfectly capture the mindset of an often paranoid nation, but probably for good reason. Its full of crude yet delicious humour that just gets funnier as the film goes on, it seems to play out as a regular "error of their ways" film, but then throws it all back in your face to keep us interested, Kingsley is an unlikely delight alongside Cohen, while Faris continues to have excellent comic timing for all the right moments. This is a comedy not for the faint-hearted, but political satire for all to enjoy, offensive but perhaps a little close to home. Expand
  19. Oct 21, 2012
    One of the best comedies in years! Absolute brilliance, funny from start to end. Cohen is a genius. Looking forward to watching it a 2nd time.
  20. May 22, 2012
    Easily one of the best comedies I have seen in a long time. I have no idea why so many people hate on this movie. I have not laughed so hard since the first time I saw Ace Ventura. Another easy pick for my movie collection.
  21. Jun 4, 2012
    This is the funniest movie I have seen since "South Park: Bigger, Longer and uncut. It is the funniest live action movie I have seen since "Duck Soup" by the Marx Brothers. One thing though you have to make up your mind early on to just go with and you will laugh more than you have laughed at a movie in a long time.
  22. Jun 13, 2012
    Put away your insecurities about stereotypes and politically incorrect insensitivity, slap on a sense of humor and go laugh freely and unrestrained for once in your life. With slapstick hilarity and an almost adorable quantity of ignorant prejudice, this film is on par with Talladega Nights in terms of sitcom and satire. For those overcompensating, insecure and in-denial closet cases that preferred Bruno and Borat (for certain parts found offensive to everyone else) more than his roles as Ali-G, or Julien from Madagascar, this films won't offer you much in the way of "certain" scenes, but for the rest of us The Dictator is both intelligent and political in its' dialogue and scenario. The level of maturity and complexity is well below average, which is pure genius since in this way it can be spoon-fed to the majority and still make an impact. Unfortunately, due to previous titles and their depictions it seems as though many movie goers are shying away from Sacha Baron Cohen's films and the ones left and still willing to pay the price of admission appear to be part of the "shockingly below average" category. If you are a normal, well-adjusted person that enjoys mainstream comedy, then The Dictator will not disappoint. Expand
  23. Aug 19, 2012
    Even while very grim, bizarre and out of this world, The Dictator had me laughing throughout. To enjoy the film you had to be someone who can relax and not take everything so seriously, which some critics and reviewers simply cannot do. Not the best comedy film I have ever seen, but i'd say its definitely in my top 5.
  24. Aug 15, 2012
    Excellent movie! Sacha Baron Cohen is back with one of the best comedy movie ever! Simply perfect. I love Aladeen! Excellent movie! Sacha Baron Cohen is back with one of the best comedy movie ever! Simply perfect. I love Aladeen! Excellent movie! Sacha Baron Cohen is back with one of the best comedy movie ever! Simply perfect. I love Aladeen! Excellent movie! Sacha Baron Cohen is back with one of the best comedy movie ever! Simply perfect. I love Aladeen! Expand
  25. Sep 1, 2012
    Very funny! I cant understand the hate this kept me soo entertained while watching
    No sad parts, No Bad guy parts, just plain funny and I couldent stop laughing
  26. Sep 24, 2012
    The last movie where I laughed so much was The Hangover. Different kind of movie, but very funny. A few parts were a little over the top and gross, but overall it very good. To me, Sasha's style is similar to that of the creators of Southpark, but somewhat more refined.
  27. Oct 5, 2012
    The movie is very good, has all this black humor that I love and when you go to the movies, you know what you're gonna see. Shacha Baron Cohen is a hilarious actor.
  28. Jan 31, 2013
    I have just watched this film and I thought it was very funny, with all the racist and sexist comments although may want to consider watching this if sensitive to sexist or racist comments. One of the best films I have watched in 2012/13
  29. Jun 30, 2013
    such a comedy movie better some other comedies today lots of funny and memorable scenes if you have netflix or a dvd player watch it with your friends because its not a family movie but its still good
  30. Mar 16, 2014
    Is one of best comedy of all time! What is wrong with you people?! Have you problems with your brains?????????????????????????????????????????????????

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 26, 2012
    The Dictator, like its predecessors, is short (eighty-three minutes), but it runs down fast, and the lewd jokes pile up. [28 May 2012, p. 76]
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    May 17, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen's tosses off some sensationally funny stuff before descending into a rat-a-tat rhythm of random insult and ritual vulgarity.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    May 17, 2012
    The conventional meet-cute love story at the center of The Dictator feels like a bizarre concession to some nonexistent demographic that prefers its sick black comedy with a side of humanist sentiment.