6.3

1. Aug 24, 2012
    No where near the standard of Borat but still funny in places. I think Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy may be starting to wear a little thin and has become rather predictable. Still he has managed to come up with some hilarious new gags and if you do not mind wafting through some pretty poor parts you may enjoy this film.
  2. Aug 29, 2012
    Pretty funny film after seeing Bruno which was so ungodly wierd and bad . I found myself laughing alot start to finish through this film . pretty much every thing about the film is rediculas but its what helps make it so funny . Cohen you can tell is having fun with this role and as usaul doesnt hold back from saying any nutty thing he wants to ... but hey as long as its funny . There arePretty funny film after seeing Bruno which was so ungodly wierd and bad . I found myself laughing alot start to finish through this film . pretty much every thing about the film is rediculas but its what helps make it so funny . Cohen you can tell is having fun with this role and as usaul doesnt hold back from saying any nutty thing he wants to ... but hey as long as its funny . There are also alot of cameos from alot of differnt celebritys in the film but Cohen is the Star and every funny line is his . Expand
  3. Aug 12, 2012
    85% hacky. I love 'purposely stupid' as much anyone else, but these jokes missed the mark way too many times. The ratio has got to be at least one decent joke for every three flat-liners, and the whole first hour of this film belongs in the ICU. It picked up around the beginning of the third act, but by then I was only watching because I was planning this review. I'll put it like this,85% hacky. I love 'purposely stupid' as much anyone else, but these jokes missed the mark way too many times. The ratio has got to be at least one decent joke for every three flat-liners, and the whole first hour of this film belongs in the ICU. It picked up around the beginning of the third act, but by then I was only watching because I was planning this review. I'll put it like this, any adult who grew up watching 80s and 90s cartoons has actually heard most of these jokes or similar enough ones to know whats coming. If you have too much free time, sit down in front of this. Otherwise you can do better very easily. Expand
  4. Jun 1, 2012
    With Borat it was so shockingly funny you just could not help but piss yourself with laughter, but in Bruno the formulae was stretched thin and the gay jokes just didn't hit the funny bone. The Dictator falls neatly between the two, trading huge piss your pants laughs for steady giggles and the occasional belter. Certainly one of the funniest movies we'll see this year, but not a classicWith Borat it was so shockingly funny you just could not help but piss yourself with laughter, but in Bruno the formulae was stretched thin and the gay jokes just didn't hit the funny bone. The Dictator falls neatly between the two, trading huge piss your pants laughs for steady giggles and the occasional belter. Certainly one of the funniest movies we'll see this year, but not a classic by any means but the chance to see Sasha Baren Cohen do what he does best and offend as many as people as possible is impossible to miss. Expand
  5. May 20, 2012
    Very funny and a good job by SBC/Aladeen. There were no truly dull parts of the movie. Always funny, no dull parts, an unpredictable ending. The movie was a little too short though. Much better than Bruno, but worse than Borat. If you like a good comedy, see this movie.
  6. May 20, 2012
    Great movie with somewhat great message in the end. Some people may get offended of the racist jokes but overall a truly entertaining movie. Well thought out comedy and awesome actors. Go watch it and be entertained.
  7. May 20, 2012
    Haha, all people beneath me are hating the movie... I liked it very much tough, just laughing, not the best plot ever, but i can live with that!! not every movie can be the green mile or something. and of course its stupid sometimes, but Sacha Baron Cohen's face makes a lot good.
  8. May 23, 2012
    A real missed opportunity... surprisingly jokeless. The best moment is his speech on the U.S. one day being a dictatorship and doing all the things they are already doing... but that was the one joke the audience didn't seem to get. Sad.
  9. May 18, 2012
    I went into this movie expecting light entertainment, and got even less. A few giggles here and there, but for the most part, The Dictator was agonizing to watch.
  10. May 21, 2012
    In my opinion, this was just as funny as Borat. Maybe even better. I loved 'The Dictator'. As well as hilariously crude humour, the plot was a great one with great actors, great lines and great...greatness. I was quite sad at the fact it was only 83 minutes as some scenes felt a bit uncompleted and lacking in some more dialogue which could have helped to boost the rating up even more.In my opinion, this was just as funny as Borat. Maybe even better. I loved 'The Dictator'. As well as hilariously crude humour, the plot was a great one with great actors, great lines and great...greatness. I was quite sad at the fact it was only 83 minutes as some scenes felt a bit uncompleted and lacking in some more dialogue which could have helped to boost the rating up even more.
    However, this is definitely the funniest film I have seen all year, in my opinion. Bravo to Sasha Baron Cohen and his character of General Aladeen for giving me an incredibly fun and hilarious 83 minutes.
  11. May 17, 2012
    I saw this in the theater today, well the 30 opening minutes at least. they were bad enough for me to walk out. and i never walk out of movies. Loved Borat and thought Bruno was okay. But this is no good. The jokes were all either very simple or very stupid. Before this review gets too scathing i'm just gonna end here by saying: don't see it, or see it on video later.
  12. May 22, 2012
    Waaaaay funnier than the other garbage that's out there currently passing for comedy cinema. Don't listen to the humorless nay-sayers. This film is well worth a look.
  13. May 24, 2012
    I wasn't expecting much from this movie but it blew me away. It was really funny and worth the money to see it. I didnt like Borat or Bruno but really loved this.
  14. May 18, 2012
    A new movie of Sacha Baron Cohen, I don't be fan of Sacha, I hate he, but I need say that this movie is really funny, have great and funny moments that do this film one of the most entertaining movies of the year.
  15. May 19, 2012
    Either you get Sascha Baron Cohen, or you don't! This is him at his best! Or worst! Depending on which camp you reside. There are those fence post riding nanby panbies, who just loved Borat, but just don't get the other films? Wankers! Borat was not just some happy little accident made by an over the top wannabe! It was a piece of a large puzzle, given to you by the worlds next CharlieEither you get Sascha Baron Cohen, or you don't! This is him at his best! Or worst! Depending on which camp you reside. There are those fence post riding nanby panbies, who just loved Borat, but just don't get the other films? Wankers! Borat was not just some happy little accident made by an over the top wannabe! It was a piece of a large puzzle, given to you by the worlds next Charlie Chaplin. Like it! Don't like it, Baron Cohen led you to the choice. But ultimately it's up to your brain to understand. As with all his work, I thought it very mind openingly funny! Expand
  16. May 17, 2012
    Like every other Sasha Baron Cohen movie, the Dictator is intended for a mature yet good humored audience. I don't blame the several critics who walked out of the theater, but I feel as though the first half did not do the movie justice at all. In order to enjoy the Dictator you need to be able to relax and laugh, and not take everything so seriously. There were several moments where ILike every other Sasha Baron Cohen movie, the Dictator is intended for a mature yet good humored audience. I don't blame the several critics who walked out of the theater, but I feel as though the first half did not do the movie justice at all. In order to enjoy the Dictator you need to be able to relax and laugh, and not take everything so seriously. There were several moments where I found myself overwhelmed with laughter. Overall the Dictator was a good movie, not as good as Borat, not as messed up as Bruno but good enough to deserve an 8. Expand
  17. May 17, 2012
    If you go into The Dictator expecting much, you're going to get absolutely nothing out of it. However, if you go knowing it's not going to be a great comedy, or even a good comedy, then you'll end up somewhat enjoying it. The movie has its moments, but it's not one after the other kind of hilarity. Sacha Baron Cohen is a guy who likes to make movies on a lot of controversial stuff, and heIf you go into The Dictator expecting much, you're going to get absolutely nothing out of it. However, if you go knowing it's not going to be a great comedy, or even a good comedy, then you'll end up somewhat enjoying it. The movie has its moments, but it's not one after the other kind of hilarity. Sacha Baron Cohen is a guy who likes to make movies on a lot of controversial stuff, and he does so again, making mention to things like Bin Laden and 9/11, but it still ends up being funny. Serviceable comedy, nothing great. Anchorman 2 teaser however, it's gonna make you cream. Expand
  18. May 24, 2012
    Disappointment soon led to anger. The laughs were few and cheap. The Dictator completely missed the nail by a long shot, only people from ages 12 -15 would find the film amusing.
  19. Jun 5, 2012
    I got dragged along to this movie with my girlfriend and her family - I wasn't going to see it otherwise as I feel Sacha Baren Cohen has been on a steady downward spiral since the Ali G days (which seem so long ago now) when he was actually smart, funny, and enjoyable to watch without cringing.

The Dictator is a slapstick gross out film. Nothing more, nothing less. It was one of those films that you feel pressured to laugh at, specially in a movie theater filled with people (many who weren't too impressed with the film, as I heard very few laughs). I feel the move to a scripted comedy was a terrible idea, as EVERYTHING feels forced and pre-conceived. All the jokes rely on being politically incorrect and shocking to get laughs, but considering the fact that none of them are done 'well' at all makes this the films main failure. I love a bit of 'non PC' humour, and it can be done really well to great effect. But in 'The Dictator', EVERY joke is based on racism/sexism/misogynist attitudes that grow stale before they are even said.

Gone are the days of Ali G, where SBC would use his characters as a vessel and tool to show truths from other people, in result showing their ignorance and stupidity. Now all that's left is a Z-grade comedy film that is best suited for 13 year old boys who aren't well accustomed with good humour, and get a good laugh from the political incorrectness. The only redeeming scene in the film is where, after ripping up a new constitution for democracy for his home country Wadiya, SBC goes on a rant saying that 'America should be run by a dictatorship', going on to mention all the 'perks' of a dictatorship, ultimately describing all the ways America has cheated and gone against its democratic constitution. This is a great scene, and if the film was based more on smart tongue in cheek humour like this then the film could have been a success. Unfortunately, it isn't, and it is not a good film in any form as a result.
  20. May 31, 2012
    I went into this film expecting about 3 or 4 funny scenes, but I was pleasantly surprised in every way. This is Sacha Baron Cohen's best film in my opinion. It is very similar to Borat, but the context is so much more meaningful and parodic of politics and recent events in international affairs.The whole concept of the movie and its execution aren't flawless, but the constant humour andI went into this film expecting about 3 or 4 funny scenes, but I was pleasantly surprised in every way. This is Sacha Baron Cohen's best film in my opinion. It is very similar to Borat, but the context is so much more meaningful and parodic of politics and recent events in international affairs.The whole concept of the movie and its execution aren't flawless, but the constant humour and jokey style make this a worthy film. And don't be discouraged by the 83 minute run time. It actually feels much longer, and is packed with some original scenes. It's not a professionally made film, as evident by its relatively small budget, but it is definitely worth watching for a good laugh. Expand
  21. Sep 8, 2012
    Boy, did Sasha Baron Cohen ever miss the mark with 'The Dictator.' Like many others have said, I wanted to like this movie. I paused the DVD about 45 minutes in and debated slogging through the rest of it for the sake of finality. Who knows, maybe it would get better. But boy, it didn't. The majority of the jokes were anecdotal, like "Don't worry, I was the best _______ in Wadiya, I cameBoy, did Sasha Baron Cohen ever miss the mark with 'The Dictator.' Like many others have said, I wanted to like this movie. I paused the DVD about 45 minutes in and debated slogging through the rest of it for the sake of finality. Who knows, maybe it would get better. But boy, it didn't. The majority of the jokes were anecdotal, like "Don't worry, I was the best _______ in Wadiya, I came first place in the Wadiyan _______ competition!" And the other guy, the nuclear scientist guy would reply with "But you were its only competitor! You had everyone else killed or disappeared because you're the Wadiyan dictator and that's what you do you **** Let's do slightly different iterations of this joke about 50 more times throughout this film and hope it's still funny." The jokes were like Family Guy flashback gags without the cutaways. Well, there were some, but that of course doesn't excuse how horribly written and repetitive the jokes in this movie were. Another example would be Anna Faris's hippie co-op store-owner, that Aladeen would constantly make jokes about her not shaving her armpits. Seriously, he must've said that like twenty times, culminating in a scene where he licked the **** things. Again, like other reviewers said, I started getting angry towards the end of this film. Baron Cohen is so much better than this movie. 'Borat' was a lot more intelligent and politically inclined than 'The Dictator', and THAT movie had a naked wrestling scene for **** sake. If you're a Sasha Baron Cohen fan, skip this film. If you've never seen any of his work, don't watch this movie. Cohen is a lot better when he's messing with real people disguised as "Borat" or "Bruno", but now that those characters are so popular, and he himself is famous and recognizable, he can no longer make such movies. But hopefully 'The Dictator' isn't all that's left in his comedic repertoire.

I rate this film 1 out of 10, and it gets rating of 1 simply for the fact that it's a movie.
  22. Jun 6, 2012
    Aaah..Sacha completes the fall from 90% fabulous humor and 10% offensiveness with Ali G ten years ago, to vice versa with the Dictator. He's just not funny anymore.
  23. Jun 17, 2012
    This Dictator is simply funny! it's really random and unexpected with really funny jokes. The movie is kind of short so it doesn't bore like many other movies, and unexpectedly there's an idea behind the movie and it's kind of political. If you want to see a movie that doesn't require anything but some sense of humor you will love this.
  24. May 16, 2012
    All in all a very disappointing movie, too much hype with the trailer.... It's watchable but would not say I laughed my head off. will not recommend it. American pie and 21 jump street were of a different league of comedy compared to the dictator.
  25. May 19, 2012
    I loved the movie, it had its laugh out loud moments. The script is great, lots of fun, a little bit of politics, and great jokes by SBC. I highy recommend it!
  26. May 19, 2012
    A meandering, occasionally funny let down from a man who should have known better. I barely chuckled and felt as if my intelligence was being insulted at nearly every turn.
  27. May 16, 2012
    The Dictator suffers the same problem as many comedies these days: The best bits are in the trailer, and many of the jokes rely on pop culture. It's lazily written, but there are strokes of genius here and there. Between the strange almost-surreal type of humor and the Borat-inspired quips, the film can't decide what it wants to be, and it ultimately stumbles over its own jokes.
  28. May 24, 2012
    Not a funny movie. It takes a genius to write a movie about morons, unfortunately this is not one of those instances. This is a movie written by a moron and never lands a joke.
  29. May 17, 2012
    Movie was ok but not a classic like bruno & Borat. but you know is was entertaining and it was almost worth the 20 bucks (with popcorn & drinks). Overall the movie was great
  30. May 26, 2012
    Brilliant , its as good as borat if not better , the trailer and reviews really don't do it justice. Brilliant progression of constant hilarity.All the best bits are offensive so aren't in the trailer.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 26, 2012
    The Dictator, like its predecessors, is short (eighty-three minutes), but it runs down fast, and the lewd jokes pile up. [28 May 2012, p. 76]
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    May 17, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen's tosses off some sensationally funny stuff before descending into a rat-a-tat rhythm of random insult and ritual vulgarity.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    May 17, 2012
    The conventional meet-cute love story at the center of The Dictator feels like a bizarre concession to some nonexistent demographic that prefers its sick black comedy with a side of humanist sentiment.