6.3

1. May 17, 2012
    I saw this in the theater today, well the 30 opening minutes at least. they were bad enough for me to walk out. and i never walk out of movies. Loved Borat and thought Bruno was okay. But this is no good. The jokes were all either very simple or very stupid. Before this review gets too scathing i'm just gonna end here by saying: don't see it, or see it on video later.
  2. May 23, 2012
    A real missed opportunity... surprisingly jokeless. The best moment is his speech on the U.S. one day being a dictatorship and doing all the things they are already doing... but that was the one joke the audience didn't seem to get. Sad.
  3. May 20, 2012
    Very funny and a good job by SBC/Aladeen. There were no truly dull parts of the movie. Always funny, no dull parts, an unpredictable ending. The movie was a little too short though. Much better than Bruno, but worse than Borat. If you like a good comedy, see this movie.
  4. May 19, 2012
    A meandering, occasionally funny let down from a man who should have known better. I barely chuckled and felt as if my intelligence was being insulted at nearly every turn.
  5. May 17, 2012
    Like every other Sasha Baron Cohen movie, the Dictator is intended for a mature yet good humored audience. I don't blame the several critics who walked out of the theater, but I feel as though the first half did not do the movie justice at all. In order to enjoy the Dictator you need to be able to relax and laugh, and not take everything so seriously. There were several moments where I found myself overwhelmed with laughter. Overall the Dictator was a good movie, not as good as Borat, not as messed up as Bruno but good enough to deserve an 8. Expand
  6. May 20, 2012
    Haha, all people beneath me are hating the movie... I liked it very much tough, just laughing, not the best plot ever, but i can live with that!! not every movie can be the green mile or something. and of course its stupid sometimes, but Sacha Baron Cohen's face makes a lot good.
  7. May 22, 2012
    Waaaaay funnier than the other garbage that's out there currently passing for comedy cinema. Don't listen to the humorless nay-sayers. This film is well worth a look.
  8. May 24, 2012
    I wasn't expecting much from this movie but it blew me away. It was really funny and worth the money to see it. I didnt like Borat or Bruno but really loved this.
  9. May 17, 2012
    If you go into The Dictator expecting much, you're going to get absolutely nothing out of it. However, if you go knowing it's not going to be a great comedy, or even a good comedy, then you'll end up somewhat enjoying it. The movie has its moments, but it's not one after the other kind of hilarity. Sacha Baron Cohen is a guy who likes to make movies on a lot of controversial stuff, and he does so again, making mention to things like Bin Laden and 9/11, but it still ends up being funny. Serviceable comedy, nothing great. Anchorman 2 teaser however, it's gonna make you cream. Expand
  10. May 18, 2012
    A new movie of Sacha Baron Cohen, I don't be fan of Sacha, I hate he, but I need say that this movie is really funny, have great and funny moments that do this film one of the most entertaining movies of the year.
  11. May 19, 2012
    Either you get Sascha Baron Cohen, or you don't! This is him at his best! Or worst! Depending on which camp you reside. There are those fence post riding nanby panbies, who just loved Borat, but just don't get the other films? Wankers! Borat was not just some happy little accident made by an over the top wannabe! It was a piece of a large puzzle, given to you by the worlds next Charlie Chaplin. Like it! Don't like it, Baron Cohen led you to the choice. But ultimately it's up to your brain to understand. As with all his work, I thought it very mind openingly funny! Expand
  12. May 16, 2012
    All in all a very disappointing movie, too much hype with the trailer.... It's watchable but would not say I laughed my head off. will not recommend it. American pie and 21 jump street were of a different league of comedy compared to the dictator.
  13. May 16, 2012
    It is one of Sasha Baron Cohen's film and his first scripted. Funny, but cliche. Decent comedy and worth the price of admission. Even the Anchorman 2 teaser was worth the admission...
  14. May 18, 2012
    I went into this movie expecting light entertainment, and got even less. A few giggles here and there, but for the most part, The Dictator was agonizing to watch.
  15. May 19, 2012
    I loved the movie, it had its laugh out loud moments. The script is great, lots of fun, a little bit of politics, and great jokes by SBC. I highy recommend it!
  16. May 21, 2012
    In my opinion, this was just as funny as Borat. Maybe even better. I loved 'The Dictator'. As well as hilariously crude humour, the plot was a great one with great actors, great lines and great...greatness. I was quite sad at the fact it was only 83 minutes as some scenes felt a bit uncompleted and lacking in some more dialogue which could have helped to boost the rating up even more.
    However, this is definitely the funniest film I have seen all year, in my opinion. Bravo to Sasha Baron Cohen and his character of General Aladeen for giving me an incredibly fun and hilarious 83 minutes.
  17. Aug 24, 2012
    No where near the standard of Borat but still funny in places. I think Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy may be starting to wear a little thin and has become rather predictable. Still he has managed to come up with some hilarious new gags and if you do not mind wafting through some pretty poor parts you may enjoy this film.
  18. May 19, 2012
    What a wonderfully funny movie. Warning, if you are offended by vulgar humor, this movie may not be for you; but most of the rest of us will be laughing whole-heartedly.
    So many cute gags, an awful lot of clever writing.
    Loud laughter came from all directions around me, all throughout the movie.
  19. May 16, 2012
    The Dictator suffers the same problem as many comedies these days: The best bits are in the trailer, and many of the jokes rely on pop culture. It's lazily written, but there are strokes of genius here and there. Between the strange almost-surreal type of humor and the Borat-inspired quips, the film can't decide what it wants to be, and it ultimately stumbles over its own jokes.
  20. May 24, 2012
    Not a funny movie. It takes a genius to write a movie about morons, unfortunately this is not one of those instances. This is a movie written by a moron and never lands a joke.
  21. May 20, 2012
    Great movie with somewhat great message in the end. Some people may get offended of the racist jokes but overall a truly entertaining movie. Well thought out comedy and awesome actors. Go watch it and be entertained.
  22. May 17, 2012
    Just terrible, I had to walk out after about 45 minutes because this is easily the worst movie I've seen in the past few years - and I've seen a lot of bad ones. In order to be a comedy the jokes need to be funny but all of the jokes in 'The Dictator' just fall flat. All hype, no substance - stay away at all costs.
  23. May 24, 2012
    Disappointment soon led to anger. The laughs were few and cheap. The Dictator completely missed the nail by a long shot, only people from ages 12 -15 would find the film amusing.
  24. Aug 29, 2012
    Pretty funny film after seeing Bruno which was so ungodly wierd and bad . I found myself laughing alot start to finish through this film . pretty much every thing about the film is rediculas but its what helps make it so funny . Cohen you can tell is having fun with this role and as usaul doesnt hold back from saying any nutty thing he wants to ... but hey as long as its funny . There are also alot of cameos from alot of differnt celebritys in the film but Cohen is the Star and every funny line is his . Expand
  25. May 17, 2012
    Movie was ok but not a classic like bruno & Borat. but you know is was entertaining and it was almost worth the 20 bucks (with popcorn & drinks). Overall the movie was great
  26. May 18, 2012
    i have not laughed like this for a long time, the movie was hilarious and definitely not for everyone, if you have a crude sense of humour and its very un pc
  27. May 26, 2012
    Brilliant , its as good as borat if not better , the trailer and reviews really don't do it justice. Brilliant progression of constant hilarity.All the best bits are offensive so aren't in the trailer.
  28. May 19, 2012
    I will start off by saying I do enjoy Sacha Baron Cohen and find him very funny even thought I thought Bruno was weak and Ali G was better as a show or short clips I had seen the reviews on this site about people leaving the cinema early and thought may be the same again. But this ended up being the funniest film I have seen this year the whole cinema was in fits of laughter as well. Some stuff I can see people being offended by but that's the risk you take with his movie's but all in all this is up there with Borat very funny movie a must see. Expand
  29. May 18, 2012
    One of the funnier movies I've seen in a while. It really picks up steam around the halfway mark. You will probably be offended if you identify with crunchy hipster puss1es who live in park slope and williamsburg but that's what made it funny for me. Definitely not pc and definitely worth seeing.
  30. Jul 26, 2012
    Awsome movie, laughed like 1/3 of the movie. Loved it, i guess that many people find it offensive but cmon, its only jokes. Jews stop dislikeing it!!!!!!!!!
  31. Aug 12, 2012
    85% hacky. I love 'purposely stupid' as much anyone else, but these jokes missed the mark way too many times. The ratio has got to be at least one decent joke for every three flat-liners, and the whole first hour of this film belongs in the ICU. It picked up around the beginning of the third act, but by then I was only watching because I was planning this review. I'll put it like this, any adult who grew up watching 80s and 90s cartoons has actually heard most of these jokes or similar enough ones to know whats coming. If you have too much free time, sit down in front of this. Otherwise you can do better very easily. Expand
  32. Jun 5, 2012
    I got dragged along to this movie with my girlfriend and her family - I wasn't going to see it otherwise as I feel Sacha Baren Cohen has been on a steady downward spiral since the Ali G days (which seem so long ago now) when he was actually smart, funny, and enjoyable to watch without cringing.

The Dictator is a slapstick gross out film. Nothing more, nothing less. It was one of those
    films that you feel pressured to laugh at, specially in a movie theater filled with people (many who weren't too impressed with the film, as I heard very few laughs). I feel the move to a scripted comedy was a terrible idea, as EVERYTHING feels forced and pre-conceived. All the jokes rely on being politically incorrect and shocking to get laughs, but considering the fact that none of them are done 'well' at all makes this the films main failure. I love a bit of 'non PC' humour, and it can be done really well to great effect. But in 'The Dictator', EVERY joke is based on racism/sexism/misogynist attitudes that grow stale before they are even said.

Gone are the days of Ali G, where SBC would use his characters as a vessel and tool to show truths from other people, in result showing their ignorance and stupidity. Now all that's left is a Z-grade comedy film that is best suited for 13 year old boys who aren't well accustomed with good humour, and get a good laugh from the political incorrectness. The only redeeming scene in the film is where, after ripping up a new constitution for democracy for his home country Wadiya, SBC goes on a rant saying that 'America should be run by a dictatorship', going on to mention all the 'perks' of a dictatorship, ultimately describing all the ways America has cheated and gone against its democratic constitution. This is a great scene, and if the film was based more on smart tongue in cheek humour like this then the film could have been a success. Unfortunately, it isn't, and it is not a good film in any form as a result.
  33. May 31, 2012
    I went into this film expecting about 3 or 4 funny scenes, but I was pleasantly surprised in every way. This is Sacha Baron Cohen's best film in my opinion. It is very similar to Borat, but the context is so much more meaningful and parodic of politics and recent events in international affairs.The whole concept of the movie and its execution aren't flawless, but the constant humour and jokey style make this a worthy film. And don't be discouraged by the 83 minute run time. It actually feels much longer, and is packed with some original scenes. It's not a professionally made film, as evident by its relatively small budget, but it is definitely worth watching for a good laugh. Expand
  34. Sep 8, 2012
    Boy, did Sasha Baron Cohen ever miss the mark with 'The Dictator.' Like many others have said, I wanted to like this movie. I paused the DVD about 45 minutes in and debated slogging through the rest of it for the sake of finality. Who knows, maybe it would get better. But boy, it didn't. The majority of the jokes were anecdotal, like "Don't worry, I was the best _______ in Wadiya, I came first place in the Wadiyan _______ competition!" And the other guy, the nuclear scientist guy would reply with "But you were its only competitor! You had everyone else killed or disappeared because you're the Wadiyan dictator and that's what you do you **** Let's do slightly different iterations of this joke about 50 more times throughout this film and hope it's still funny." The jokes were like Family Guy flashback gags without the cutaways. Well, there were some, but that of course doesn't excuse how horribly written and repetitive the jokes in this movie were. Another example would be Anna Faris's hippie co-op store-owner, that Aladeen would constantly make jokes about her not shaving her armpits. Seriously, he must've said that like twenty times, culminating in a scene where he licked the **** things. Again, like other reviewers said, I started getting angry towards the end of this film. Baron Cohen is so much better than this movie. 'Borat' was a lot more intelligent and politically inclined than 'The Dictator', and THAT movie had a naked wrestling scene for **** sake. If you're a Sasha Baron Cohen fan, skip this film. If you've never seen any of his work, don't watch this movie. Cohen is a lot better when he's messing with real people disguised as "Borat" or "Bruno", but now that those characters are so popular, and he himself is famous and recognizable, he can no longer make such movies. But hopefully 'The Dictator' isn't all that's left in his comedic repertoire.

I rate this film 1 out of 10, and it gets rating of 1 simply for the fact that it's a movie.
  35. May 25, 2012
    It was a really good movie, though it was a little shot on laughs and no quite as funny as I thought but no where near as outrages or hilarious as unscripted Borat, Cohen has produced another hearty film dealing with sterotypes. Though the magic of Borat didn't work for the dictator its still a funny movie with great moments.
  36. May 19, 2012
    Angels: Sacha Baron Cohen-funny, original, gross, satirical, brilliant...what can I say. Actually, I wanted to stop here Angels, but the site would not let me.

Play you harps beautifully Angels.
  37. Jun 1, 2012
    With Borat it was so shockingly funny you just could not help but piss yourself with laughter, but in Bruno the formulae was stretched thin and the gay jokes just didn't hit the funny bone. The Dictator falls neatly between the two, trading huge piss your pants laughs for steady giggles and the occasional belter. Certainly one of the funniest movies we'll see this year, but not a classic by any means but the chance to see Sasha Baren Cohen do what he does best and offend as many as people as possible is impossible to miss. Expand
  38. May 23, 2012
    I did not expect this movie to be good. I expected this movie to be mediocre at best, as many of these slap-stick comedies are just too stupid and immature. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised to find that the movie was pretty hysterical, IF you don't take it seriously. The jokes are not sophisticated and the humor is simple... but IT WORKS. This movie doesn't take itself seriously and neither should you. The movie gets off to a slow start but gets funnier farther along. I found myself chuckling through the majority of the movie, and laughing out loud (loudly) several times. Most negative reviewers are comparing this movie to Borat, claiming Borat to be the far superior movie. However, this movie IS NOT Borat. This movie is simply a very well done "leave your brain at the door" comedy (which are hard to come by these days) and contains plenty of laughs, as long as you do not go in expecting to be blown away. Definitely worth 10 dollars. Expand
  39. Jun 2, 2012
    Have never written a review here, actually signed up just to write this and I have been using Metacritic regularly for a few years now. I had enjoyed Borat, Bruno was poor enough, saw the trailers for this and thought it looked crap, then got bribed into watching it, but when I saw the middling metascore I Said I'd go in positive....simply awful film, I laughed once, at the end, at an outtake. Jokes and plot are aggravatingly transparent, acting is poor, characters are painfully stereotypical and although this should be expected in a film like this it just doesn't work anymore. Expand
  40. Jun 6, 2012
    Aaah..Sacha completes the fall from 90% fabulous humor and 10% offensiveness with Ali G ten years ago, to vice versa with the Dictator. He's just not funny anymore.
  41. Jun 17, 2012
    This Dictator is simply funny! it's really random and unexpected with really funny jokes. The movie is kind of short so it doesn't bore like many other movies, and unexpectedly there's an idea behind the movie and it's kind of political. If you want to see a movie that doesn't require anything but some sense of humor you will love this.
  42. Aug 28, 2012
    Excellent film. Film of the year for me so far, Many laughs were had, Thanks SBC for another great film. Actor of the decade. Very creative and original, could watch it again and again.
  43. May 24, 2012
    As a vehicle to link together a bunch of genuinely funny and deliciously offensive gags, the film achieves what it sets out to do. But the filler - the story that links it all together - is just too pedestrian compared to what I feel will be Cohen's best work down the road.
  44. May 27, 2012
    When I saw the trailer for this movie I was amused but I thought it would be bad. A lot of the good jokes seemed to be in the trailer, one person said once the dictator lost his beard the movie would lose its touch, and when my brother came home he said that he did not like it that much. I went to see it and let me tell you it was funny. The Dictator proves that everyone has different opinions some people get it and some people do not and I got most of it.

The Dictator is about dictator Al-Addeen, I think thatâ
  45. May 31, 2012
    I love Sasha Baron Cohen's other films, well except for the Ali G one (Ali G was better on cable). This movie is not the same kind of film as Borat or Bruno. He does play another goofy character. But this is just a straight forward comedy, a pretty offensive one mind you. It it very anti-Arab and quite sexist, among other things. Still, there are a number of very funny, albeit often gross or offensive, moments. There are enough of those that I laughed a lot. Now, I don't necessarily feel good about laughing so much. But I did. Expand
  46. May 30, 2012
    No redeeming quality whatsoever! I should have known better than to give a Cohen movie another shot. The only positive thing I can say about it is... It's his best movie yet. The bar is just set so low.
  47. Aug 9, 2013
    Sacha Baron Cohen really tries to extend the shock factor to create comedy, but the method has worked thin and has made me lose interest in his next project.
  48. May 24, 2012
    The latest from Sacha Baron Cohen casts him as the titular tyrant, who gleefully oppresses his country, until he confronts reality in New York City. Despite a constant flow of mischievous moments, it's seldom truly funny. There are some amusing one-liners and interesting conceptual gags, but it never pulls together successfully. If you enjoy Cohen's brand of humor, you won't be disappointed, but you're liable to find it more cheerfully mean-spirited than genuinely hilarious. Expand
  49. Sep 8, 2012
    The Dictator manages to be a good comedy but falters in the most important aspect of a comedy, the humor. There are plenty of hilarious moments that will have you laughing out loud, but there are also a lot of moments where he humor is predictable, been done before in other comedies (and better there), or just so gross you actually gag instead of laughing. It takes a lot for humor to actually gross me out, and this movie actually did that a lot, but still I did laugh and, for the most part, enjoyed myself. So if your looking for a good comedy and don't mind some absolutely disgusting and at times dry or flat humor this is worth a rental, but know there are tons of better comedies out there. Expand
  50. Jun 18, 2012
    This was actually a horrible movie. The first 30 minutes were completely without a joke. Nothing funny at all in the first 30 minutes, oh yeah, and the rest of the movie. Loved Borat and Bruno, this movie sucks.
  51. Jun 13, 2012
    It had it's moments. It was funnier than Bruno, but not nearly as charming as Borat. Borat was a likeable guy; his racism and narrow-mindedness came from a sort of innocent ignorance. Aladeen is just a tool who never shows any redeeming qualities. SBC's humour works A LOT better in the lower budget mocumentary format. The Dictator is just mindless hollywood glitz.
  52. Aug 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I rented the movie and saw the extended uncut version - I found it mildly entertaining although it just wasn't that funny - I did like the scene toward the end about the US "dictatorship" I think it would've been better without the whole love story sub-plot. About a year after 9-11 some friends and I came up with a concept for a terrorist comedy that made fun of everyone, terrorists, politicians, the media ect. and began writing the script - but we dropped it because we decided no one would ever produce it for fear of a fatwa being issued - maybe that same fear kept this film from being as funny as it could have been. Expand
  53. May 19, 2012
    The Dictator is the perfect example of the movie that you want to hate but in the end, you can't. I'm not saying this is a very good film or anywheres near close to that, but it turned out ok. I saw this just to see it pretty much, I was intrigued although by the trailer i could've sworn it would be a very dumb film. It actually turned out pretty funny at times, but at other times i felt bored. The jokes were split 50/50 with me, some i found funny and chuckled a bit, but the others just fell flat. Like some jokes that bash the U.S. and other foreign countries (which is about 80% of the jokes) were just taken wayyyy too far, including some jokes about Osama bin Laden which was an issue with me, but you have to look at all of these things as jokes obviously and not 100% serious. I never laughed out loud during the movie so that says something right there. Its a chuckle here and there film, not a laugh out loud film. Sacha Baren Cohen was of course Sacha Baren Cohen, funny, and great at what he does. I never saw Bruno because of the sheer ridiculousness, but i did see Borat and Borat is definitely leagues ahead of The Dictator. I wasn't feeling the supporting cast in this film either. Anna Faris' character just wasn't cutting it for me, i did not care for her at all, same with everyone else. This movie definitely could've been much better. The script was mediocre and the supporting cast as i stated just wasn't there, and half of the jokes just fall flat. The only major positive in this movie is Sacha Baren Cohen which is obviously 99% of the film so thats why i give this movie a 5 and nothing less. If your looking for a laugh out loud movie, this isn't it, but if you enjoy a good chuckle every now and then, then you should check out The Dictator. 5/10 for me. Expand
  54. Aug 31, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed Borat but this film is simply not funny. It's repeated unfunny jokes become annoying and the plot is predictable and annoying. I understand the film is supposed to have a thin plot but in this film it felt like it was getting in the way. Baren Cohen's humour may start to be wearing off after Borat.
  55. Jun 5, 2012
    This effort brings to mind M. Night Shyamalan. The first effort was great but everything after became more and more dismal. Borat was fabulous, Bruno was pretty good but the Dictator, while there were a few amusing moments, is easily the worst of the three. Some parts are downright painfully not funny. In my sick twisted mind, I did find the 911 jokes to be the best of the show.
  56. Jun 7, 2012
    I'm still a big fan of Sacha Baron Cohan, I think that The Dictator was a solid but good movie. Although Borat and Bruno were 2 of my favorite comedies from him, The Dictator wasn't quite match to his credit. But I saw the trailer during the Super Bowl. My favorite part is when they made fun of the Olympic Games, General Aladeen started to use a pistol and shoots every athlete in a track & field event, that takes balls. Whether you love Cohen or not, sometimes he may be controversial thanks to the Donald, but slapstick comedies are made to be really funny like the Jackass movies. Probably I'll see it next week or wait for a rental. The Dictator wasn't a disappointment, but trust me, actions speaks louder than words. Expand
  57. Aug 8, 2012
    Although The Dictator offers some funny Jocks but with a bad storyline and Script the movie is too hard to like . The Movie delivers delivers nothing lightened. The whole point of the movie is Useless . Sacha Baron Cohen was a bit flat in his role and others were horrible . Saw the Movie and trying to forget it and don't ever wanna see it again . Its a total wast of time .
  58. Dec 11, 2012
    This movie should of been better than it is, I wanted to love this so much but it was a massive let-down. Don't get me wrong though, Sacha Baron Cohen is a great charactor actor and the supporting cast isn't all that bad either but what made Borat so great (and to a lesser extend, Bruno) was the witty yet shocking humour of it all. With Borat the humour came naturally because of it's mockumentary style filming and the use of unexpected real people. This is a scripted film where it tries too hard with the shocking jokes that they arn't witty enough, hell some of them wern't even funny! it's a passe movie and a enjoyable watch but it's also the sort of film that will sit on your DVD shelf for all eternity. Expand
  59. Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, it is both funny and offensive. I appreciate the execution of this idea. Its much better executed than "You Don't Mess with the Zohan", but too many scenes in this comedy fall flat, and there isn't enough plot to compensate for this.
  60. Nov 13, 2012
    Sasha Baron Coen is like marmite for me in every film he shoots, you either love him or hate him! I skipped Bruno because i was not keen on Borat, and was going to give The Dictator a miss too....I am glad i didn't. One of the funniest films i have seen in a long time. I doubt i would watch it again but for a one off rental this is a good choice.
  61. Aug 8, 2012
    I don't understand why everyone is bashing this movie-- it was great! I had a smile on my face through the whole movie. Another great piece from Sacha. Everyone knows that the movie "Borat" is an absolute legend, and I'd be even willing to say that this reaches easily it's level. Watching this movie made my day so much better. Obviously some are going to find it offensive, but as for me, I have a very dark sort of humor. If you loved Borat, you're going to love this one. If you didn't love Borat, you'll still love this one. Expand
  62. Oct 22, 2013
    Behind all the crude, obscene and derogatory content that makes up the still hilarious film that is 'The Dictator', it directly pokes fun at democratic governments around the world, becoming a perfect political satire while also playing on the funny bones, Sacha Baron Cohen proves to be original in his content, while also pulling no punches at who gets caught in the firing line. This is the first scripted film Cohen has created, it falls a fluid story compared to the equally as hilarious but cringeworthy 'Borat' and 'Bruno', yet when I went to see the film, the cinema was in complete uproar, all in a good way of course, it certainly pushes boundaries but addresses the dark and black comedy that people seem to relate to today, its short and snappy at 89 minutes long, but feels just the right about of funny. Cohen plays the role of Admiral General Aladeen of Wadiya, he acts like we assume a dictator would, big palace, plenty of worshipping followers and a flamboyant lifestyle of sex encounters with celebrities, this set up includes a small role for Megan Fox, which is hysterical as we are then shown his wall of conquests, males included. But his life is always in danger, not only because of his regime and his slimy right hand man Tahir (Ben Kingsley), but he plays judge. jury and executioner (or so he thinks) as he will uses his power to dispose of any man who deceives him, yet this even comes down to a nuclear warhead not being pointy enough. When his visit to America ends i na betrayal of trust, he is thrust into the streets of New York unknown, as his iconic beard has been removed, he finds a radical anti-Aladeen health store run by Zoey (Anna Faris), unaware of his real identity, she lets him into her life. Faris has really let herself be the subject of many puns and putdowns throughout the film, growing real armpit hair and even being called a "chubby Justin Bieber". Its full of direct attacks at everything involving the American Dream, and a particular scene in a helicopter with two tourists perfectly capture the mindset of an often paranoid nation, but probably for good reason. Its full of crude yet delicious humour that just gets funnier as the film goes on, it seems to play out as a regular "error of their ways" film, but then throws it all back in your face to keep us interested, Kingsley is an unlikely delight alongside Cohen, while Faris continues to have excellent comic timing for all the right moments. This is a comedy not for the faint-hearted, but political satire for all to enjoy, offensive but perhaps a little close to home. Expand
  63. Jun 7, 2012
    Seemed to be a more cinematic approach to the dictator than his previous films, which felt a little odd at first, but the jokes are plentiful and hilarious! The film becomes instantly much more fun if you go to watch it with a group of friends, even though some of the scenes are a little 'awkward'. Sacha Baren Cohen still hasn't raised the bar above Borat yet, but after the disaster of Bruno, this is a step in the right direction. Collapse
  64. May 26, 2012
    The Dictator is funny enough, but it really falls short of its potential, what with a great concept and a funny guy like Sacha Baron Cohen. But overall, a lot of the Dicator's jokes fall flat, and the plot of the movie is just to small and constricting. Then there is the terrible performance by Anna Faris. She has the same expression on her face the entire time, and her voice is more annoying than a Justin Bieber song. Overall, it's not that good, but it's not totally worthless. Expand
  65. Jun 10, 2012
    I have mixed feelings about this movie. It's fun and specific humor for which Baron Cohen is known is intertwined with some dull moments (e.g. the birth scene). I enjoyed more the allusions and small, intelligent quotes that some longer scenes. The Dictator has some interesting twists in the plot, laughs at Arab and Western absurds, and this one man show is paired with some decent acting performance by others (Ben Kingsley!). A really positive element are great and funny Aladeen-ish songs. Overall, it's a good movie to see ONCE and laugh a bit. And that's it. Just ONCE. Expand
  66. May 20, 2013
    Some of the jokes hit really low. But the production value is high, and the political satire is both sharp and meanwhile feels relaxed enough to qualify as 'casual entertainment'. If you're interested in the subject, there's enough juice in there for it to be a worthwhile pop cultural diversion.
  67. Jun 12, 2012
    It's Euro-Cup time now, so there is a famine in the cinemas, maybe one should not go to cinema twice a week these days (I have already watched PROMETHEUS 2012), the only possibilities are this one or SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN (2012), so hectoring by the latter's horrid reviews, a satire comedy sounds like a more safe choice between these two.

Deceiving by its trailer, and Instead of
    being a political satire, the film is no more than a crass sketch comedy, with a plentiful supply of self-conscious jokes about masturbation, human excrement, racism, sexism, gay culture, terrorism, a mixed-bag of all the possible sought-after topics. But how is the effect?

Though in my memories, I didn't perceive BORAT! (2006, a 5/10) as a deserving accomplishment, but by comparison, THE DICTATOR even has less virtue and has no difference with other annually cranked-out Hollywood trashy comedies, which more or less are able to generate some laughters but one would never give a second-thought after leaving the cinema, lest feel repellent even thinking about the source material or simply erase it from the memory. THE DICTATOR marked the third time Sacha Baron Cohen and director Larry Charles work in unison (after BORAT! and BRUNO 2009, which I skipped), but the pith of it is all in its trailer, I wonder, when will Hollywood ever deliver another comedy without meddling too much with filthiness, sometimes audience needs to be innovated instead of being pondered to. About the cast, I donâ
  68. Aug 30, 2012
    It was a really rough start but about 30-40 mins into the movie, It gets really damn hilarious and ends on a high note. Definently worth watching imo. I liked it.
  69. Jun 4, 2012
    Sasha Baron Cohen has made another film where he plays an ignorant foreigner and this time he plays a Momar Qaddafi like dictator hence "The Dictator". This movie was a step up from Bruno but not as memorable as Borat. The humor was really offensive but still really funny at times, and I will be quoting quite a bit of the film but the humor was also really stupid as well. Sasha Baron Cohen is a genius but he needs to knuckle down on some of it. Rent it on DVD Expand
  70. Jun 3, 2012
    this movie was funny but it same as his other films his done in past the part in movie which was really funny but the nothing else that was making me laugh rest of flim i watch the bit in it i did laugh that bout it not entirely good movie but only thing which made it better was when ending credit pop up
  71. Oct 21, 2012
    One of the best comedies in years! Absolute brilliance, funny from start to end. Cohen is a genius. Looking forward to watching it a 2nd time.
  72. May 22, 2012
    Easily one of the best comedies I have seen in a long time. I have no idea why so many people hate on this movie. I have not laughed so hard since the first time I saw Ace Ventura. Another easy pick for my movie collection.
  73. May 23, 2012
    I dont think it's awful but then it definitely was forgettable. Humour was very expected for the most time and the plot never seems to make sense...which is okay for a comedy but it lacks everything a truly great comedy needs. There are a couple laugh out loud original moments but the dialogue and jokes are so repetitive and predictable I felt like I was watching a movie done by a high schooler.

Wait til this one's on DVD and a friend buys it if you're unsure. It doesnt deserve the $10.00 I spent on it but if you're incredibly bored you'll find the few funny parts in this film enjoyable enough to justify a watch through.
  74. May 25, 2012
    Not a great movie. I kept hoping for something really bold and funny. But it's just predictably "shocking". YAWN. The physical gross-out stuff especially had me eye-rolling.
  75. Sep 18, 2012
    Sasha Baron Cohen's worst **** movie ever. Funny only a small fraction of the time and WTF for the rest. I almost never stop a movie halfway, but this was pure stupidity.
  76. May 28, 2012
    the start is a little weird and hard to understand but the rest is hilarious you will laugh until you cant laugh anymore you must see it. i loced ecery moement one of the best comedy movies to see
  77. Jun 2, 2012
    I Loved Borat
    I Was Cold On Bruno I Like The Dictator
    This Movie Still Does Not Have As Many Laughs As Borat But Still Is A Good Funny Movie!
  78. May 29, 2012
    I left the theatre trying to recall the funny parts of the movie. There was one involving the nuclear scientist. (Not sure why he wanted to continue with the dictatorship, but that is beside the point). I couldnâ
  79. Jun 13, 2012
    Saw this with 3 buddies. All over 40 yo and under 50 yo. I'm declaring that if you're outside of this gender or age range, you'll probably miss many of the jokes or satire (under 35), or find them tedious (any female or anyone over 50). Unfortunately, not much of a marketing range. my demographic doesn't go out to see many movies with others of our type. That said, we belly laughed a number of times and were generally entertained by the entire event. worth the 8 bucks. Expand
  80. Jun 2, 2012
    This is the most disgusting slapstick drained out comedy movie that one cannot sit thru completely. Its a total waste of time and money. I never walked out of any movies in my life time other than this disgusting crap. I don't know what the censor board is thinking when they agreed to release these kind. Movies
  81. Jun 4, 2012
    This is the funniest movie I have seen since "South Park: Bigger, Longer and uncut. It is the funniest live action movie I have seen since "Duck Soup" by the Marx Brothers. One thing though you have to make up your mind early on to just go with and you will laugh more than you have laughed at a movie in a long time.
  82. Jun 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It may seem pretty obvious but the point of making a Comedy movie is to make people laugh, nothing more. Depending on your religious views, your ethnicity or even your sexuality, you may find this film very offensive but seeing the name 'Sacha Baron Cohen' within the opening credits is surely a warning of that. The laughs begin right from the get go but in some places, particularly towards the end of the movie, the comedy halts which begins to make the movie slightly boring. The storyline of the movie is pretty lame and the acting isn't particularly brilliant but despite this The Dictator is very funny and well worth the money if you fancy cheering up...just as long as you are not easily offended. Expand
  83. Aug 16, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen will always be remembered as Borat. Why? Coz his other films 'Bruno' and this one are hardly worth remembering. It's based on one of the 12 classic hollywood templates with only the dictator character added. Sometimes it's somewhat funny, most of the time it doesn't work too well. I hope his next film won't continue this downhill slope quality wise or he might have to look for another job... Expand
  84. Jun 13, 2012
    Put away your insecurities about stereotypes and politically incorrect insensitivity, slap on a sense of humor and go laugh freely and unrestrained for once in your life. With slapstick hilarity and an almost adorable quantity of ignorant prejudice, this film is on par with Talladega Nights in terms of sitcom and satire. For those overcompensating, insecure and in-denial closet cases that preferred Bruno and Borat (for certain parts found offensive to everyone else) more than his roles as Ali-G, or Julien from Madagascar, this films won't offer you much in the way of "certain" scenes, but for the rest of us The Dictator is both intelligent and political in its' dialogue and scenario. The level of maturity and complexity is well below average, which is pure genius since in this way it can be spoon-fed to the majority and still make an impact. Unfortunately, due to previous titles and their depictions it seems as though many movie goers are shying away from Sacha Baron Cohen's films and the ones left and still willing to pay the price of admission appear to be part of the "shockingly below average" category. If you are a normal, well-adjusted person that enjoys mainstream comedy, then The Dictator will not disappoint. Expand
  85. Jun 21, 2012
    If you want to know what it's like watching this movie, picture yourself at a sleezy comedy club watching the first act of the night bomb on stage--that uncomfortable silence/embarrassed for the performer feeling, yeah that's what this movie is...
  86. Dec 18, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen is a good actor and a great screenplay writer and that's the only reason I watched this film. A few jokes were thought provoking and some of them were really lame and cheap. Full-on satire and disgusting & vulgar humor are the qualities of the Dictator. But despite that, I only give it 5 marks because it is just an average film. Not too good and not bad.
  87. Aug 28, 2012
    While it is understandably hard to recreate the success of Borat, Sacha Baron Cohen hits less of a note of focused political insight hidden within doses of raunchiness and more of a note of gross out, juvenile, broad, hit-and-miss jokes that recall a mix of Charlie Chaplin's 'The Great Dictator' and 'You Don't Mess with the Zohan'. While there are some admittedly funny bits (holding hands romantically inside of a pregnant woman giving birth, a terrorist misunderstanding in a helicopter, and a clever speech about democracies and dictatorships, for example), most of the film has an air of mean-spiritedness and when the jokes miss, they miss by a mile. While Sacha Baron Cohen seems more dedicated to craft than the average funny-man, 'The Dictator' winds up being just a comedic vehicle running on empty. Expand
  88. Sep 12, 2012
    I get where and what Sasha was going for here-which is fairly original. So most of my score accounts for those things. However, the humor-or lack thereof- really made this movie predictable and unwatchable a 2nd time. The few chuckles I got from the movie would not have been worth a movie ticket or DVD for that matter.
  89. Jul 4, 2012
    His first two movies were hilarious because no one knew who he was. Now that his face is out there, he cannot be that guy anymore. Making a real movie with all actors was a bad idea. There are for sure some funny parts to this but as a whole it just was not that good.
  90. Mar 1, 2014
    Consistently offensive (to varying effectiveness), The Dictator is funny in spots, but is also filled with jokes that are too stupid to be funny. Now of course this was not trying to be a fantastic film or anything, but I do wish that the jokes were way more consistent. In addition, in terms of story, the romantic aspect added to this one did not actually add anything to the movie at all and in fact subtracted from the movie. More dictatorship, less random, forced, and unnecessary romance. At the end of the day, this one is not a trainwreck like I feared it might be and could be a good movie to watch if you want a few good laughs and a hilarious speech on dictatorships, but sadly other than that, there is not much to see. As I said before, this one could have been a lot better if it had been a lot more consistent. Expand
  91. Jul 17, 2012
    I was very disappointed that Cohen didn't do another mockumentary, but I was even more disappointed that his first time away from that style didn't yield satisfying results. Most of the funny parts are in the trailer, the characters are silly and uninteresting, and even though the film is very short, it still tends to drag on. In the end, it settles for too little.
  92. Sep 7, 2012
    The only redeeming and watchable parts of The Dictator are Bobby Lee's small comedic role. I did have a few giggles at the very least three times. I'll give this some points for its crude and offensive humor which was the second and last thing I liked about it. What could have been a hilarious comedy failed at even being a simple movie. I did feel like I wasted an entire hour, it is Sacha Baron Cohen's weakest performance. Not funny. Expand
  93. Sep 12, 2012
    Funny Movie. Not as funny as the first half of Borat, but that movie lost its way badly in the second half. This is more consistent throughout, (although still funnier at the beginning). Its also a surprise to see a regular mainstream kinda movie from cohen, rather than the episodic feel of his other films. Its most similar in structure to Ali G in da house. Cohen cleverly makes fun of every stereotype known to man, from the cliche'd way we in the west view dictators in the east, to vice versa, with sexism, racism, and just about every other 'ism' thrown in along the way. Probably not one to watch at a family gathering, but then not overly offensive either, its easily the funniest mainstream hollywood film for a long time. Expand
  94. Aug 19, 2012
    Even while very grim, bizarre and out of this world, The Dictator had me laughing throughout. To enjoy the film you had to be someone who can relax and not take everything so seriously, which some critics and reviewers simply cannot do. Not the best comedy film I have ever seen, but i'd say its definitely in my top 5.
  95. Aug 13, 2012
    A pretty funny movie with great one-liners. It is offensive to some degree though, so viewer bewre.
  96. Aug 15, 2012
    Excellent movie! Sacha Baron Cohen is back with one of the best comedy movie ever! Simply perfect. I love Aladeen! Excellent movie! Sacha Baron Cohen is back with one of the best comedy movie ever! Simply perfect. I love Aladeen! Excellent movie! Sacha Baron Cohen is back with one of the best comedy movie ever! Simply perfect. I love Aladeen! Excellent movie! Sacha Baron Cohen is back with one of the best comedy movie ever! Simply perfect. I love Aladeen! Expand
  97. Aug 26, 2012
    This was not a great movie. I didn't think the humor was all that funny. I laughed at like 3 jokes. I found Cohen's humor offensive. He usually is except in Madagascar.
  98. Aug 20, 2012
    I enjoyed it. Sure it's not a movie you remember, talk about for weeks, buy, rent, or keep when someone re-gifts it to you for Christmas, but it wasn't THAT deplorable as many seem to think.
    Personally I have nothing against bearded, middle eastern, murderous, penile-challenged dictators___so I may not be as biased as everyone who still remembers Osama Bin Laden and has fallen prey to the
    programming which thwarts their notions of the word «funny» when it comes to certain subjects or stereotypes.

Come on people... the jokes were OK.. get over Osama wait for it to be on Stars and watch it again.
  99. Sep 1, 2012
    Very funny! I cant understand the hate this kept me soo entertained while watching
    No sad parts, No Bad guy parts, just plain funny and I couldent stop laughing
  100. Sep 24, 2012
    The last movie where I laughed so much was The Hangover. Different kind of movie, but very funny. A few parts were a little over the top and gross, but overall it very good. To me, Sasha's style is similar to that of the creators of Southpark, but somewhat more refined.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 26, 2012
    The Dictator, like its predecessors, is short (eighty-three minutes), but it runs down fast, and the lewd jokes pile up. [28 May 2012, p. 76]
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    May 17, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen's tosses off some sensationally funny stuff before descending into a rat-a-tat rhythm of random insult and ritual vulgarity.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    May 17, 2012
    The conventional meet-cute love story at the center of The Dictator feels like a bizarre concession to some nonexistent demographic that prefers its sick black comedy with a side of humanist sentiment.