Magnolia Pictures | Release Date: May 9, 2014
6.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 100 Ratings
WATCH NOW
lasttimeisawSep 22, 2014
THE IT CROWD comedian Richard Ayoade’s second feature film THE DOUBLE is a noir-stylish incubus, and it cannot dodge the comparison with Denis Villeneuve’s ENEMY (2013, 8/10), since both tackle a storyline with a doppelgänger and may or mayTHE IT CROWD comedian Richard Ayoade’s second feature film THE DOUBLE is a noir-stylish incubus, and it cannot dodge the comparison with Denis Villeneuve’s ENEMY (2013, 8/10), since both tackle a storyline with a doppelgänger and may or may not be a case of split personality.

In an unspecified background, Simon (Eisenberg) is an easily frightened and paltry clerk works in an unnamed enterprise headed by The Colonel (Fox), we have no clue of what the real deal of it except that their business are people, characterless people as commodities, still it is rather implicit. Simon is unfairly treated and looked down upon by everyone (the people in the company consider him as a nameless pawn), even the girl whom he has a crush on and who is his voyeuristic object, his co-worker Hannah (Wasikowska) takes his admiration for granted, everyone, the pathetic Simon goes to her department and asks for make one copy of some documents, it is the only way he can speak with her.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
REDWOUNov 23, 2014
I found The Double incredibly boring. I had watched this after Enemy, and since it was pretty good, but the critics had thought this was better, I had high expectations. Boy, should I never trust the critics again...
foxgroveMay 9, 2014
The Double is consistently fascinating enough not to be considered a bad film, but is also too frustratingly opaque to be a really good one. Set in a dark futuristic society the film reminded me of both Gilliam's 'Brazil' and Polanski's 'TheThe Double is consistently fascinating enough not to be considered a bad film, but is also too frustratingly opaque to be a really good one. Set in a dark futuristic society the film reminded me of both Gilliam's 'Brazil' and Polanski's 'The Tenant'. It is a small ambitious film, Orwellian in tone, in which the production achievements belie its low budget. The cinematography is amazing in depicting atmosphere which in turn compliments the claustrophobically dark sets. The music also perfectly judges the film's mood. Jesse Eisenberg, possibly envying Armie Hammer's dual role in 'The Social Network', now finds himself with a doppelganger all his own, albeit not a twin. He gives a committed performance which is actually quite mesmerising to behold. He is well supported by Mia Wasikowski (who is a lot better than usual) and an assortment of character actors in very small parts only some of whom are recognisable. I particularly liked Paddy Considine, and it's also good to see Cathy Moriarty again. Director Richard Ayoade adds the occasional eye catching visual flourish and some of the writing is very good, but as a whole the script is as uneven as the film is obscure. Ultimately it fails to be as good as it could have been because one is left somewhat perplexed by it all. Expand
nicholasbertAug 4, 2014
Not the worst, but the film's constantly poor lighting and a frustrating performance by Jesse Eisenberg make The Double quite unenjoyable and, all in all, boring. It was a good take on Dostoevskij, capturing the essential feel of anguish andNot the worst, but the film's constantly poor lighting and a frustrating performance by Jesse Eisenberg make The Double quite unenjoyable and, all in all, boring. It was a good take on Dostoevskij, capturing the essential feel of anguish and the bureaucratic machine as pictured in the novel, but in my opinion lacked stronger acting. I didn't like it, but I can easily see why someone else would: its cinematography is great (although, as in Enemy, all the sets are extremely dark), the direction is cool, quite unusual, and the story - originally a harsh critique of Tsarist bureaucracy - can be applied to modern-day cubicle workers.

Also, having the office a little bit bigger might have helped, since it is kind of unbelievable that nobody knows Simon when it looks like only fifteen people work there.
fgaleJun 8, 2014
What starts off as a breath of fresh air in today's overly commercial cinema with its allusions to Kafka, 1984 et al, and the eerie stylised sense of dread of being inconsequential before the System, halfway through turns into a predictableWhat starts off as a breath of fresh air in today's overly commercial cinema with its allusions to Kafka, 1984 et al, and the eerie stylised sense of dread of being inconsequential before the System, halfway through turns into a predictable and tiresome cliche story with too many recurring gags. With its dark sense dispelled halfway through there is only time to quickly wrap up the film with a predictable ending that screams "first year screenplay student". Good try though. Expand