7.2

1. Jun 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very disappointed in this movie. After the comparisons to Tell No One, I expected a tautly scripted film with lots of twists and turns. All the twists and turns in The Double Hour occur during a coma suffered by the female lead character. When that was revealed, I felt like I had read one of those "And then I woke up" stories we used to write in elementary school. Outside of the coma, the whole story is straightforward with no surprises.

And what is the significance of "The Double Hour" (times like 05:05, 11:11, or 23:23), anyway? Although such times appeared repeatedly in the movie, both during and outside the coma, there was no obvious suspense nor plot points associated with those times.
  2. May 28, 2011
    The only reason I sat on the edge of my seat during The Double Hour was in hopes of being wrong in my suspicions, and those being that I most likely had just wasted the spend-y price of admission. I would liken it to being at Keeneland during the horse races, and having bet way too much on a promising long shot. I'm shouting, again from the edge of said seat, for my horse to please move it's slow butt across the finish line. Only the horse like the movie never quite makes it. Your hopes are high, but in the end, you're holding a stub of paper, incredulous and saddened, having just wasted a good bit of money on something you were sure was going to come in. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Nov 3, 2011
    As it spins along at a reasonably good clip - no one is going to mistake it for the slicker, more action-packed "Salt" - The Double unravels its secrets, which prove to be its undoing.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Jun 9, 2011
    Ultimately a mystery box that lacks a treasure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jun 8, 2011
    Like the genre's top filmmakers - the Coens, Polanski, Hitchcock - Capotondi builds dread with wicked winks at the audience, dropping subtle surprises along the way.