9.0

1. Sep 27, 2013
    This movie is just beautiful, and it shines bright with all the colors and attractive Paris backdrop. Not much goes on, in terms of story other than sex and lots of nudity, but viewers can forget about that, since the movie is mesmerizingly shot an masterfully directed.
  2. Jun 14, 2013
    THE DREAMERS (3 outta 5 stars) Interesting project by the renowned director Bernardo Bertolucci... dealing with the events of 1968 in France... a time of great social upheaval, as rioting students took to the streets to shut down the French government. The main characters are a young American student who has come to France to study film... and a very unconventional brother and sister whoTHE DREAMERS (3 outta 5 stars) Interesting project by the renowned director Bernardo Bertolucci... dealing with the events of 1968 in France... a time of great social upheaval, as rioting students took to the streets to shut down the French government. The main characters are a young American student who has come to France to study film... and a very unconventional brother and sister who recruit him to their offbeat lifestyle. All three are obsessed by film (as many young people were in 1968... the glory days of the avantgarde)... and also with the concept of breaking rules and societal taboos. With their parents away for the month and the flat to themselves, bets are made on film trivia and the penalties for not identifying a particular moment from a particular film become more and more shocking. Only leaving their home to watch films, the trio are basically oblivious to the growing trouble in the streets... until finally they can sit passively no more. Very intriguing concept and the acting is fine... but ultimately I thought the conclusion fell a little flat... the transition from sexual hedonism to political activism didn't really work for me... it all seemed a little abrupt and could have been explored a little deeper. Worth watching and discussing though. Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2012
    So disgusting and gross. I mean, I couldn't find a single idea this movies stands for. So far from the communist rebellion, all the characters could care about is their sexual discovery. What sens does all of this make ? Two hours of nonsense and disturbing sexual scenes.
  4. EdwardR.
    Feb 17, 2007
    A great movie with acting, scenes and music you'll never forget.
  5. Wayne
    Apr 18, 2006
    very french very romantic very classic very modern.
    Jul 16, 2005
    The NC-17 rating so cool!
  7. PrudenceK.
    Jul 16, 2005
    I ust came back from seeing this film by Bernardo Bertolucci starring Eva Green, Michael Pitt, and Louis Garrel and I must say... it was beautiful! Great film from start to finish! Masterpiece with controversity written all over it! ME-OW!
  8. roberth.
    Apr 17, 2005
    Yawn! shows once again that even the greatest directors can produce some boring meaningless stuff.
  9. KilM.
    Apr 6, 2005
    This film was incredible. People who don't like are dying.
  10. PaulD.
    Mar 2, 2005
    A muddled mess. Acting and story are unconvincing. There are some great clips from far superior movies, and a lot of nudity, without true eroticism.
  11. AndrewM
    Nov 3, 2004
    For many of the same reasons I liked Sex And Lucia, I was equally if not more impressed by The Dreamers. I wasn't a big fan of Last Tango In Paris - in truth, it is one of the most boring films I have seen. But there was quite a lot of food for thought for those interested enough to look...or where Brando was concerned, listen...carefully! The Dreamers though manages both. It is For many of the same reasons I liked Sex And Lucia, I was equally if not more impressed by The Dreamers. I wasn't a big fan of Last Tango In Paris - in truth, it is one of the most boring films I have seen. But there was quite a lot of food for thought for those interested enough to look...or where Brando was concerned, listen...carefully! The Dreamers though manages both. It is chock-full of entertaining and provocative moments; it is visually stunning in every sense, the music is powerful and affecting, the script oblique yet direct, and the themes as confronting as they are opaque! Plenty to digest, eh!? Above all this, the most immediately salient and laudable facet of this film is Bertolucci's direction. His control, vision, inspiration and leadership shines in every scene, every frame. It's an impression only a few directors have left on me: Hitchcock, Capra, Spielberg, Medem, Wilder, to name but a few. But Bertolucci's work with The Dreamers is beyond that, it's something else; in so many ways (and again I remarked similarly with Sex And Lucia) this is a painting brought to life. It's extraordinary to watch. Many will recoil from this film and that is totally understandable - there are moments of explicitness and others of arguable taste - but those who can and wish to expose themselves to an undoutedly artistic and controversial film will certainly get their money's worth. Or you could just go watch another dumb action film instead... Expand
  12. MelissaT.
    Aug 17, 2004
    Very interesting, like it a lot.
  13. TomW.
    Aug 4, 2004
    This movie is designed to shock!! French movies are designed with explicit sex, gratuitous violence etc these days and I am actually reading reviews to know what I am getting into (to avoid), before I dare watch any French films now. This movie has incest, a menage 3-some etc set in the 60's where everything and anything goes. I didn't like it one bit. The movie has no story in This movie is designed to shock!! French movies are designed with explicit sex, gratuitous violence etc these days and I am actually reading reviews to know what I am getting into (to avoid), before I dare watch any French films now. This movie has incest, a menage 3-some etc set in the 60's where everything and anything goes. I didn't like it one bit. The movie has no story in my opinion but my partner thought the movie was excellent and was deep intellectually with substance. So go figure. The most shocking movies I have seen have all been French films. Don't say I din't warn you. Women are alway depicted as playthings or second class citizens by the French so don't expect anything culturally different. Expand
  14. VickyB.
    Apr 27, 2004
    I believe in love, in freedom. I love cinema! This movie is a piece of art for us ... the ones who really love cinema and consider it an art!
  15. FelixX.
    Mar 18, 2004
    Bertolucci may have been alive in the 60s but he missed the living.
  16. HiroyaM.
    Feb 24, 2004
    Best Bertolucci film since Sheltering Sky. He has gone back to his early days of filmmaking. For his elegant camera works, dream-like texture, and sensuality, it is a must see for Bertolucci fans. You feel his passion and longing for the 60's air.
  17. UriS.
    Feb 22, 2004
    A very well done movie with paintings of the late 60's as it really was. with a twist. a must see,for sure.
  18. JoshuaR.
    Feb 20, 2004
    Not that smart, not that beautiful, and not even that sexy -- it's an incoherent mess, condescending to its characters and to the entire era it seeks to evoke. The Washington Post review has it right. Really, it's just a cheap, nude, Parisian, watered-down version of a movie like "Easy Rider," which is actually about the '60s. This movie is just about nostalgia.
  19. MaL.
    Feb 13, 2004
    Bertolucci has not lost his masterfull touch. A dream of a film buff's movie.

1. Reviewed by: Kevin Carr
    It wasn't as good as the films it cites, but at least it didn't bore me.
  2. Reviewed by: Jean Oppenheimer
    The film's real failure is that neither the story nor the characters capture the zeitgeist that Bertolucci theoretically set out to celebrate.
    Bertolucci is trying hard to shock us with this stuff, but, for all the perversities and the abundant nudity, the movie has an air of inconsequence about it. [9 February 2004, p. 74]