9.1

1. Sep 27, 2013
    This movie is just beautiful, and it shines bright with all the colors and attractive Paris backdrop. Not much goes on, in terms of story other than sex and lots of nudity, but viewers can forget about that, since the movie is mesmerizingly shot an masterfully directed.
  2. Jun 14, 2013
    THE DREAMERS (3 outta 5 stars) Interesting project by the renowned director Bernardo Bertolucci... dealing with the events of 1968 in France... a time of great social upheaval, as rioting students took to the streets to shut down the French government. The main characters are a young American student who has come to France to study film... and a very unconventional brother and sister who recruit him to their offbeat lifestyle. All three are obsessed by film (as many young people were in 1968... the glory days of the avantgarde)... and also with the concept of breaking rules and societal taboos. With their parents away for the month and the flat to themselves, bets are made on film trivia and the penalties for not identifying a particular moment from a particular film become more and more shocking. Only leaving their home to watch films, the trio are basically oblivious to the growing trouble in the streets... until finally they can sit passively no more. Very intriguing concept and the acting is fine... but ultimately I thought the conclusion fell a little flat... the transition from sexual hedonism to political activism didn't really work for me... it all seemed a little abrupt and could have been explored a little deeper. Worth watching and discussing though. Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2012
    So disgusting and gross. I mean, I couldn't find a single idea this movies stands for. So far from the communist rebellion, all the characters could care about is their sexual discovery. What sens does all of this make ? Two hours of nonsense and disturbing sexual scenes.

1. Reviewed by: Kevin Carr
    It wasn't as good as the films it cites, but at least it didn't bore me.
  2. Reviewed by: Jean Oppenheimer
    The film's real failure is that neither the story nor the characters capture the zeitgeist that Bertolucci theoretically set out to celebrate.
    Bertolucci is trying hard to shock us with this stuff, but, for all the perversities and the abundant nudity, the movie has an air of inconsequence about it. [9 February 2004, p. 74]