8.7

1. Oct 13, 2014
    Some of the goriest, sickest, and meanest horror I've ever watched. This blood-soaked movies greatest strength is that you almost never know what's coming up next. Something more modern horror movies fail at. It's sets you up for a terrifying ride in the beginning with it's creepy camera angles and slow-building tension, but once things get going I found that it really wasn't a scarySome of the goriest, sickest, and meanest horror I've ever watched. This blood-soaked movies greatest strength is that you almost never know what's coming up next. Something more modern horror movies fail at. It's sets you up for a terrifying ride in the beginning with it's creepy camera angles and slow-building tension, but once things get going I found that it really wasn't a scary movie. At least not in my opinion. Still it's some old-school horror goodness that feels much more fresh than the more modern horror offerings out there today. At the very least it's worth watching for the stomach-churning gore alone. An overall enjoyable and fun horror movie. My total score for it is a 7.3/10. Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    A great haunting and original film. It's home to some great special effects and camera work a long with Joseph LoDuca's extremely frighting and eerie soundtrack. Still one of Sam Raimi's greatest film making achievements to date.
  3. Mar 10, 2013
    Ok, the actors are terrible (even Bruce Campbell), the special effects are terrible than the actors, but i don't care... Evil Dead is ridiculously funny!
  4. Oct 14, 2013
    Nauseating and amusing in equal measure, "Evil Dead" is one horror movie that easily obtains its cult status, managing to surpass even your wildest imagination of gore and visceral violence. This is the first installment of the popular Evil Dead trilogy a low-budget, B-grade gore-fest horror film with the Stephen King quote-tagline: "the ultimate experience in grueling terror." A thinlyNauseating and amusing in equal measure, "Evil Dead" is one horror movie that easily obtains its cult status, managing to surpass even your wildest imagination of gore and visceral violence. This is the first installment of the popular Evil Dead trilogy a low-budget, B-grade gore-fest horror film with the Stephen King quote-tagline: "the ultimate experience in grueling terror." A thinly scripted screenplay becomes a kaleidoscope of skewed camera angles and energetic panache under Raimi’s remarkably assured guidance and direction. His debut might be short on budget, but it’s hardly bereft of ideas or spirit.

Five Michigan State University students spend the weekend in a remote Tennessee cabin, and inadvertently unleash dormant, demonic, evil spirits. In the cellar of the cabin, they find an archaeologist's tape-recording describing the contents of the Naturon Demonto (Book of the Dead). Unaware they are unleashing demonic forces one by one they must fight off evil spirits, and avoid becoming demoniacally possessed.

It’s obvious that Raimi takes great pleasure in all of his demented material, and he’s eager to share it with an audience that’s left equally shocked and thrilled. "The Evil Dead" is much more of a straight horror movie than its successors, but it’s no less fun. Heads and arms are frequently severed, but it's all done in such a fun spirit, and in a over-the-top manner that it's difficult not to grin. "The Evil Dead" is at times genuinely creepy, due in part to the imaginative camera-work devised by Sam Raimi, and cinematographer Tim Philo. The "shaky cam" (in which the camera gave us the point-of-view of the demon rushing through the woods), became a staple of the Evil Dead series. Raimi and company empty the tank of all its gore, make-up, camera, and stop-motion tricks into an unforgettable, resounding success of entrepreneurial filmmaking.
  5. Apr 22, 2013
    Forgetting that it's an older film with poor special effects this is actually a surprisingly good film I found very entertaining. Main reason why I saw it was to prepare myself for the remake that's coming out so I now know the story, and what a great story it is! A little corny, of course, but done in the right amount that makes it work, and the characters are great, Ash in particular. ItForgetting that it's an older film with poor special effects this is actually a surprisingly good film I found very entertaining. Main reason why I saw it was to prepare myself for the remake that's coming out so I now know the story, and what a great story it is! A little corny, of course, but done in the right amount that makes it work, and the characters are great, Ash in particular. It got a little odd towards the end but overall I was impressed and certainly entertained. Expand
  6. May 7, 2013
    Less easily impressed audience members will find themselves wanting to beat this film relentlessly until the maniacal laughing stops.
  7. Mar 31, 2013
    It was good but not great like everyone thinks. I really did like it though. The movie really knows how to scare the heck out of you and at the same time make you laugh hysterically at how ridiculous it is. It's definitely good enough to buy.
  8. Mar 19, 2013
    All right let me get this straight, The Evil Dead is not a good movie. However like most old horror movies it is incredibly entertaining to watch and look back at what was actually scary for the time and laugh about it.
  9. Nov 1, 2013
    Evil Dead is a movie that truly makes you afraid of the woods. This movie has awesome scares, gore, and effects, though I don't see the laughs... Full Review Coming Soon.
  10. Jul 18, 2013
    One of the best movies of all time. Everything is good, must watch! Great plot and pace, memorable scenes and special effects (for its time). Overall a masterpiece.
  11. Jul 17, 2014
    A film that genuinely terrified me. With the low budget, the cinematography has a sinister charm, that leaves room for ambiguity and surprise. The shock value in here is great for people with a taste for horror.
  12. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. or the film that kick started the careers of Sam Raimi and Bruce Cambell I can see why. The tone, the fun, the camera-work, all great. It is a scary movie, but the characters are rather likeable especially Bruce Cambell's. The camera work in this movie is so original and just makes it feel that much more original. The practical effects were pretty good and although the stop-motion had a cartoonish quality to it, it still felt like love was put into it. I did find some goofs though, really noticeably. But that aside, the film was gripping and held me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Expand
  13. Nov 3, 2013
    I've watched this on YouTube a couple days ago and I can see why people liked it. It's not the most scariest movie ever made but it did try not to rely more on the cliches then other movies and plus it at times did made me jump. The movie is obviously low budgeted (of course) but I think that's the movie's bigger strength. I loved the camera in the movie, even though the camera for meI've watched this on YouTube a couple days ago and I can see why people liked it. It's not the most scariest movie ever made but it did try not to rely more on the cliches then other movies and plus it at times did made me jump. The movie is obviously low budgeted (of course) but I think that's the movie's bigger strength. I loved the camera in the movie, even though the camera for me doesn't make some of the scenes scary but at times it does make it feel like you are walking in a haunted house ride, plus the makeup for the deadites (yeah I don't like that name too) makes the experience more realistically fake. And as I said before the low budget is the movie's bigger strength because there are a lot of things to be inspired by, possibly one of the best films to admire and spark a passion for film making for future movie goers to horror fanatics. Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell, and Robert Tapert did a great job on the film, not bad for a couple of amateur movie makers at the time don't you think? What else can I say but great work.
    Now for the ratings. To me The Evil Dead gets 3.5 trees/10 and for Metacritic a 7/10. Stay Groovy!
  14. Nov 6, 2013
    Oh my, The Evil Dead was.... Amazingly brilliant, I loved the whole series, although this one sticks out the most. "Swallow your Soul!" I've watched this film over and over again, it still impresses me.
    100/100 (if i could rate Like that)
    "Groovy"
  15. Dec 8, 2013
    Probably one of the best horror films ever made. The creepy yet cheesy nature of this film is totally of its time and yet remains timeless. This film stands as, in my opinion, the best in the series.
  16. Jun 16, 2014
    This extremely low-budget ($90,000–400,000) movie is undoubtedly a classic work in horror genre, with Bruce Campbell's performance being so scary and haunting that he is probably the first chainsaw psychopath in the long history of horror flicks. Sam Raimi did a marvelous job that with few characters, and but a small, going-to-the-dogs house, audiences witness what true fear is like, withThis extremely low-budget ($90,000–400,000) movie is undoubtedly a classic work in horror genre, with Bruce Campbell's performance being so scary and haunting that he is probably the first chainsaw psychopath in the long history of horror flicks. Sam Raimi did a marvelous job that with few characters, and but a small, going-to-the-dogs house, audiences witness what true fear is like, with everything around those young men turning to live demons and trying to make them one of theirs. Compared to many modern stupid, horror-free movies which happened to be considered horror films, The Evil Dead is like Godfather part 1 in horror genre Expand
  17. Feb 14, 2014
    Equal both in violence and gore, Sam Raimi does not just capture the viewer in a world of violent horror, but engulfs them in a world of fantastically amazing cinema.
  18. Apr 8, 2014
    "Bruce Campbell is the greatest chainsaw pyschopath ghost hunter i have ever seen ". Evil Dead is one of the best scariest movies of mankind there terrifying , brilliant horror movie thanks Sam Raimi for creating the scariest movie in the 80's . Grade A+
  19. Nov 23, 2014
    Evil Dead is one of the best horror movies ever made. It revolutionized the horror genre from here on out and is just as scary now as it ever was. Its too bad the other films are not as strong as the first.
  20. Sep 3, 2014
    "The Evil Dead" is really one of the greatest horror films I've ever seen. It's scary, over-the-top, and just plain disturbing. The gore is over-the-top, and the film has a very creepy atmosphere. The cinematography is also amazing as well; almost every shot is very beautiful and creepy to look at. I highly recommend it for any horror fan.

1. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    Feb 8, 2013
    Although idiotic, The Evil Dead at least is propelled by energy and enthusiasm. It's scarier than many a more pretentious effort, and not everything in it is borrowed. [8 Oct 1983, p.Arts1]
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Lyman
    Feb 8, 2013
    Too bad it's hog-tied by a ridiculously familiar plot, uneven direction and characters of such dizzying simplicity that you wish the demons would get to them just to smack some sense into their heads. [26 Sept 1983, p.D3]
  3. Reviewed by: Kevin Thomas
    Feb 8, 2013
    Unquestionalby it's an instant classic, probably the grisliest well-made movie ever. [26 May 1983]