New Line Cinema | Release Date: April 24, 1983
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 175 Ratings
WATCH NOW
horcrux2007Sep 3, 2014
"The Evil Dead" is really one of the greatest horror films I've ever seen. It's scary, over-the-top, and just plain disturbing. The gore is over-the-top, and the film has a very creepy atmosphere. The cinematography is also amazing as well;"The Evil Dead" is really one of the greatest horror films I've ever seen. It's scary, over-the-top, and just plain disturbing. The gore is over-the-top, and the film has a very creepy atmosphere. The cinematography is also amazing as well; almost every shot is very beautiful and creepy to look at. I highly recommend it for any horror fan. Expand
PvtJacksonJun 16, 2014
This extremely low-budget ($90,000–400,000) movie is undoubtedly a classic work in horror genre, with Bruce Campbell's performance being so scary and haunting that he is probably the first chainsaw psychopath in the long history of horrorThis extremely low-budget ($90,000–400,000) movie is undoubtedly a classic work in horror genre, with Bruce Campbell's performance being so scary and haunting that he is probably the first chainsaw psychopath in the long history of horror flicks. Sam Raimi did a marvelous job that with few characters, and but a small, going-to-the-dogs house, audiences witness what true fear is like, with everything around those young men turning to live demons and trying to make them one of theirs. Compared to many modern stupid, horror-free movies which happened to be considered horror films, The Evil Dead is like Godfather part 1 in horror genre Expand
RenatoajmoraisMar 10, 2013
Ok, the actors are terrible (even Bruce Campbell), the special effects are terrible than the actors, but i don't care... Evil Dead is ridiculously funny!
Nesbitt10Oct 14, 2013
Nauseating and amusing in equal measure, "Evil Dead" is one horror movie that easily obtains its cult status, managing to surpass even your wildest imagination of gore and visceral violence. This is the first installment of the popular EvilNauseating and amusing in equal measure, "Evil Dead" is one horror movie that easily obtains its cult status, managing to surpass even your wildest imagination of gore and visceral violence. This is the first installment of the popular Evil Dead trilogy a low-budget, B-grade gore-fest horror film with the Stephen King quote-tagline: "the ultimate experience in grueling terror." A thinly scripted screenplay becomes a kaleidoscope of skewed camera angles and energetic panache under Raimi’s remarkably assured guidance and direction. His debut might be short on budget, but it’s hardly bereft of ideas or spirit.

Five Michigan State University students spend the weekend in a remote Tennessee cabin, and inadvertently unleash dormant, demonic, evil spirits. In the cellar of the cabin, they find an archaeologist's tape-recording describing the contents of the Naturon Demonto (Book of the Dead). Unaware they are unleashing demonic forces one by one they must fight off evil spirits, and avoid becoming demoniacally possessed.

It’s obvious that Raimi takes great pleasure in all of his demented material, and he’s eager to share it with an audience that’s left equally shocked and thrilled. "The Evil Dead" is much more of a straight horror movie than its successors, but it’s no less fun. Heads and arms are frequently severed, but it's all done in such a fun spirit, and in a over-the-top manner that it's difficult not to grin. "The Evil Dead" is at times genuinely creepy, due in part to the imaginative camera-work devised by Sam Raimi, and cinematographer Tim Philo. The "shaky cam" (in which the camera gave us the point-of-view of the demon rushing through the woods), became a staple of the Evil Dead series. Raimi and company empty the tank of all its gore, make-up, camera, and stop-motion tricks into an unforgettable, resounding success of entrepreneurial filmmaking.
kewlgeek555Nov 1, 2013
Evil Dead is a movie that truly makes you afraid of the woods. This movie has awesome scares, gore, and effects, though I don't see the laughs... Full Review Coming Soon.
marcmyworksDec 8, 2013
Probably one of the best horror films ever made. The creepy yet cheesy nature of this film is totally of its time and yet remains timeless. This film stands as, in my opinion, the best in the series.
FilmVirtueFeb 14, 2014
Equal both in violence and gore, Sam Raimi does not just capture the viewer in a world of violent horror, but engulfs them in a world of fantastically amazing cinema.
frankrog29Dec 19, 2014
The Evil Dead is my favorite horror movie ever, and one of my favorite movies ever. The film was shot on a shoestring budget, and it shows. However, it's obvious that Sam Raimi did everything he possibly could with the small budget. TheThe Evil Dead is my favorite horror movie ever, and one of my favorite movies ever. The film was shot on a shoestring budget, and it shows. However, it's obvious that Sam Raimi did everything he possibly could with the small budget. The cinematography is ingenious and rivals that of Alfred Hitchcock's films in its ability to unnerve and unsettle. Also like Hitchcock, Mr. Raimi has the ability to create unbearable suspense. The movie is at once very humorous and very frightening. A lot of my friends who have seen it have dismissed it as humorous and not scary. I disagree though: it contains some truly shocking scenes and, if you suspend your disbelief and let it carry you away, it is seriously frightening. Expand
lukechristianscApr 8, 2014
"Bruce Campbell is the greatest chainsaw pyschopath ghost hunter i have ever seen ". Evil Dead is one of the best scariest movies of mankind there terrifying , brilliant horror movie thanks Sam Raimi for creating the scariest movie in"Bruce Campbell is the greatest chainsaw pyschopath ghost hunter i have ever seen ". Evil Dead is one of the best scariest movies of mankind there terrifying , brilliant horror movie thanks Sam Raimi for creating the scariest movie in the 80's . Grade A+ Expand
ydnar4Nov 23, 2014
Evil Dead is one of the best horror movies ever made. It revolutionized the horror genre from here on out and is just as scary now as it ever was. Its too bad the other films are not as strong as the first.
kyle20ellisAug 9, 2016
FanBoyCritic1Mar 24, 2016
Plot/Summary,The nominal plot involves five vacationing college kids -- Ash (Bruce Campbell), his girlfriend Linda (Betsy Baker), and their classmates Cheryl (Ellen Sandweiss), Scott (Hal Delrich) and Shelly (Sarah York) -- making anPlot/Summary,The nominal plot involves five vacationing college kids -- Ash (Bruce Campbell), his girlfriend Linda (Betsy Baker), and their classmates Cheryl (Ellen Sandweiss), Scott (Hal Delrich) and Shelly (Sarah York) -- making an unplanned stopover in an abandoned mountain cabin surrounded by impenetrable woods. Before settling in for the night, they come across an ancient-looking occult tome filled with dense hieroglyphics and macabre illustrations, a dagger fashioned from human bones, and a reel-to-reel tape recorder. The taped message, dictated by a professor of archaeology, describes the contents of the Sumerian "Book of the Dead," filled with incantations used to bring otherworldly demons to life, giving them license to possess the living.
My Review
It has been called many things great,awesome,best horror,best zombie film, original. And all i have to say is that is a classic that both horror fans and non fans should indeed watch. This is a horror film classic and boy am i glad i saw it. This film starts off as any horror film would, in a place where none of the characters of heard about but claim to have found out from a friend,and unleash evil. This is actually no one of my favorite horror films of all time. I put this at number four . This movie stars Bruce Campbell who plays Ash who gives the best performance out of the whole cast but my second favorite actor in this film is Hal Derich as Scott. This movie is so damn bloody and brutal and great and the atmosphere of this is also pretty amazing. This film is all out fun and a really great horror film but i have one small problem the ending. You get this ending where it's in first person and im guessing something's running to Ash and he screams but you don't know what happens it just ends like that,but hey they might explain in the evil dead 2 and despite my one problem i still give it a 5 out of 5.
oDjentoMar 9, 2015
I thought this film was awesome and a great creative horror, but i didn't see it as highly rated as it is. Sam Raimi did an exceptional job making a great horror film with unique scares and some absolutely brilliant direction to create someI thought this film was awesome and a great creative horror, but i didn't see it as highly rated as it is. Sam Raimi did an exceptional job making a great horror film with unique scares and some absolutely brilliant direction to create some interesting scares and amazing suspense. However the actors and dialogue seemed a bit bad, but the one weird thing with the acting was when they were all together it looked really bad but when you had someone acting by them selves on the scene they actually did a really good job. The effects haven't aged well and that may take a tint bit away from the viewing experience but overall it's a brilliant horror film. One to pick up for sure but one that when it came out would probably have been received better. I'd give it a 7.5 overall. Expand
TheQuietGamerOct 13, 2014
Some of the goriest, sickest, and meanest horror I've ever watched. This blood-soaked movies greatest strength is that you almost never know what's coming up next. Something more modern horror movies fail at. It's sets you up for a terrifyingSome of the goriest, sickest, and meanest horror I've ever watched. This blood-soaked movies greatest strength is that you almost never know what's coming up next. Something more modern horror movies fail at. It's sets you up for a terrifying ride in the beginning with it's creepy camera angles and slow-building tension, but once things get going I found that it really wasn't a scary movie. At least not in my opinion. Still it's some old-school horror goodness that feels much more fresh than the more modern horror offerings out there today. At the very least it's worth watching for the stomach-churning gore alone. An overall enjoyable and fun horror movie. My total score for it is a 7.3/10. Expand
mds03Mar 31, 2013
It was good but not great like everyone thinks. I really did like it though. The movie really knows how to scare the heck out of you and at the same time make you laugh hysterically at how ridiculous it is. It's definitely good enough to buy.
Spyfighter5000Apr 11, 2013
A great haunting and original film. It's home to some great special effects and camera work a long with Joseph LoDuca's extremely frighting and eerie soundtrack. Still one of Sam Raimi's greatest film making achievements to date.
survivorfan989Apr 22, 2013
Forgetting that it's an older film with poor special effects this is actually a surprisingly good film I found very entertaining. Main reason why I saw it was to prepare myself for the remake that's coming out so I now know the story, andForgetting that it's an older film with poor special effects this is actually a surprisingly good film I found very entertaining. Main reason why I saw it was to prepare myself for the remake that's coming out so I now know the story, and what a great story it is! A little corny, of course, but done in the right amount that makes it work, and the characters are great, Ash in particular. It got a little odd towards the end but overall I was impressed and certainly entertained. Expand
ZombieFrogHordeJul 18, 2013
One of the best movies of all time. Everything is good, must watch! Great plot and pace, memorable scenes and special effects (for its time). Overall a masterpiece.
FranzHcriticJul 17, 2014
A film that genuinely terrified me. With the low budget, the cinematography has a sinister charm, that leaves room for ambiguity and surprise. The shock value in here is great for people with a taste for horror.
askewglassesAug 30, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. or the film that kick started the careers of Sam Raimi and Bruce Cambell I can see why. The tone, the fun, the camera-work, all great. It is a scary movie, but the characters are rather likeable especially Bruce Cambell's. The camera work in this movie is so original and just makes it feel that much more original. The practical effects were pretty good and although the stop-motion had a cartoonish quality to it, it still felt like love was put into it. I did find some goofs though, really noticeably. But that aside, the film was gripping and held me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Expand
GJDS-7Nov 3, 2013
I've watched this on YouTube a couple days ago and I can see why people liked it. It's not the most scariest movie ever made but it did try not to rely more on the cliches then other movies and plus it at times did made me jump. The movie isI've watched this on YouTube a couple days ago and I can see why people liked it. It's not the most scariest movie ever made but it did try not to rely more on the cliches then other movies and plus it at times did made me jump. The movie is obviously low budgeted (of course) but I think that's the movie's bigger strength. I loved the camera in the movie, even though the camera for me doesn't make some of the scenes scary but at times it does make it feel like you are walking in a haunted house ride, plus the makeup for the deadites (yeah I don't like that name too) makes the experience more realistically fake. And as I said before the low budget is the movie's bigger strength because there are a lot of things to be inspired by, possibly one of the best films to admire and spark a passion for film making for future movie goers to horror fanatics. Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell, and Robert Tapert did a great job on the film, not bad for a couple of amateur movie makers at the time don't you think? What else can I say but great work.
Now for the ratings. To me The Evil Dead gets 3.5 trees/10 and for Metacritic a 7/10. Stay Groovy!
HouseClarkzoniaNov 6, 2013
Oh my, The Evil Dead was.... Amazingly brilliant, I loved the whole series, although this one sticks out the most. "Swallow your Soul!" I've watched this film over and over again, it still impresses me.
100/100 (if i could rate Like that)
"Groovy"
gOct 22, 2016
Sam Raimi puts his the master of horror for Evil Dead becoming a banned but critically acclaimed success. This film is the birth of horror because it is the first film to put a style of steadycam, make-up FX and acting which is jump-scaring.