6.6

1. ChristopherW.
    Jan 16, 2007
    As much as I had hoped this story would captivate me, I simply never found the film adequately engaging. Most of the plot is conveyed through flashbacks that are distressingly deviant in tone and purpose from the present day scenes set in a courtroom. If the audience is meant to question the forces of evil that may exist in the world or is asked to feel sympathy and compassion for As much as I had hoped this story would captivate me, I simply never found the film adequately engaging. Most of the plot is conveyed through flashbacks that are distressingly deviant in tone and purpose from the present day scenes set in a courtroom. If the audience is meant to question the forces of evil that may exist in the world or is asked to feel sympathy and compassion for Emily's fate, we are never given a real sense of why any of this really matters. I fully dismiss all supernatural explanations, but I am still intrigued by the notion that there are people who don't. Emily Rose ultimately fails to meaningfully connect to its audience because the screenplay is never quite sure what it wants to do. Is it fright film? Is it allegory? Is it a tale of mental illness? Is it a tale of demonic possession? Is it a courtroom battle between reason and faith? Maybe the film is all of these things. Unfortunately all of these ambiguous angles eventually steal each other's thunder. The film is too cluttered with ideas, but the performances are no less than adequate. In any case, Emily Rose is a mixed bag. Proceed with caution! Expand
  2. JimG.
    Sep 10, 2005
    I really wanted this movie to be scary. I wanted to return home at night and feel i had to turn on all the lights and keep my back to the wall. Alas, it was more of a comedy than a horror flick. Some great talent (Linney, Wilkinson, even Carpenter) did the best they could, but instead of letting us share in the potentially terrifying uncertainty supposed to develop in the mind of defense I really wanted this movie to be scary. I wanted to return home at night and feel i had to turn on all the lights and keep my back to the wall. Alas, it was more of a comedy than a horror flick. Some great talent (Linney, Wilkinson, even Carpenter) did the best they could, but instead of letting us share in the potentially terrifying uncertainty supposed to develop in the mind of defense attorney Erin Bruner (Linney) we are left to little screams of "boo!" at predictable places along the way. The "real life" story gets lost in a fictitous world where dormitories and jails are incredibly poorly lit (how convenient) and where on character scared in the dark bothers to turn on a single light. Instead of considering the plausabilities, as Bruner does in her closing arguments, the team that put this yawn together resorts to parlor tricks. What could have been a psychological thriller primarily because of its tie to a true story ends up a boring laughable cliche of a movie. Expand
  3. MarcoM.
    Jan 1, 2006
    Not what I was hoping for. The plot is very predictable and this "horror" was not scary for one second. The film lacks originality nothing new that hasnt been seen in other exorcism movies. I'm giving it a "4" because it isnt 100% bad it does have it's moments.
  4. ChadS.
    Sep 18, 2005
    If Erin Bruner(Laura Linney) wants to make senior partner at the firm, why would she take on a case that could potentially make her the laughingstock of her profession? At a cocktail party, you can imagine other lawyers whispering to each other, "That's the lawyer who believes in demonic possessions." When Erin plays the tape recording of Emily's exorcism, we cut away from the If Erin Bruner(Laura Linney) wants to make senior partner at the firm, why would she take on a case that could potentially make her the laughingstock of her profession? At a cocktail party, you can imagine other lawyers whispering to each other, "That's the lawyer who believes in demonic possessions." When Erin plays the tape recording of Emily's exorcism, we cut away from the courtroom and see the event being played out for ourselves. For some unknown reason, there are no reaction shots of the people in that courtroom. Emily's howls are a lot scarier as audio on a tape recorder than seeing Jennifer Carpenter make Runaway Bride eyes. We need to see the jury being convinced of Father Moore's innocence or guilt. "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" mainly doesn't work because we're so distanced from the titular character we're supposed to care about. This film wants to be "Snow Falling on Cedars" directed by Dario Argento. Expand
  5. LaloP.
    Sep 23, 2005
    This film should have been called THE TRIAL OF THE PRIEST. There is nothing scary about this film other than having to pay to see it.
  6. JymnC.
    Sep 22, 2005
    I love horror films. The Exorcism of Emily Rose was a good movie but I was expecting a horror film. I have to admit the graphics were great but I saw all the good parts in the previews basically. If scenes were reversed and the previews showed the court case that would have been a great twist. Did I menyion That I did not have to spend money on this film. If I did I would have to give it a 5.
  7. Sep 2, 2014
    Nearly every film surrounding an exorcism takes huge influences from 1974's The Exorcist. Of all of these films, this might be the best attempt to be refreshing.
  8. Jun 7, 2013
    Criminally underrated as both a horror film and courtroom drama. Fueled by some terrific lead performances from Laura Linney and Tom Wilkinson, The Exorcism of Emily Rose is one of the best of its kind. Recommended.

1. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Some genuine shocks punctuate The Exorcism of Emily Rose, an unusually intelligent genre item that manages to mix full-bore horror with courtroom drama.
  2. Derrickson's flick can sour your stomach with piety, which is a shame -- its moments of jolt wattage rate with many J-horrors.
    Part courtroom drama, part otherworldly shocker, the film basically restages the Scopes Monkey Trial and comes out once more against Mr. Darrow, and it's got the spine-twisting, tongues-speaking, devil-channeling hellion to prove it.