5.7

1. Nov 22, 2014
    I think that the expendables 3 is the worst film of the seriers, but if you watch it without the other, this can be a good film, non a must-sie action movie but you can give him a try
  2. Nov 17, 2014
    I really liked the first 2 films but this 3rd one is just boring. I know this is not hamlet, but the first 2 movies had clear characters with some personality traits but in this one all the new characters are just plain characters with not personality neither importance in the plot. same for the old crew, they are just puppets that does not think or breath.
    As I said, I don't expect
    hamlet, but Expendables and expendables had nice characters, the Expendables 3 does not.
    the script is just bad, there is no clear plot, except "kill that guy" and the movie just passes with dull action sequences.
    The best of the movie is Antonio Banderas character, unfortunately his character is not needed in the story ( none of them ) and is totally accesory.

Actually all the characters could be removed, except silvester Stallone and Mel Guibson and the movie could explain the same.

Really dissapointed, I loved Expendables 1 and 2. I hope the 4th one will go back to what it as before.
  3. Nov 13, 2014
    The Expendables 3 takes the fun stuff that made the first 2 work (blood, language & gore) and strips most of it away. This sequel takes an dull drag toward the middle with choppily edited fight scenes in the end, forgettable "new" characters, and a PG-13 rating that completely butchers the theater experience. Mel Gibson is the best villain in the series and its terrible he got stuck with this one.
  4. Nov 5, 2014
    Decent action movie. Lots of brainless action, explosions and fight scenes. This time they mixed it up a little with adding some young people to the team.
  5. Oct 27, 2014
    Maybe not the kind of movie most people think of but whom watched the first part then he will be expecting this in the 2nd and 3rd part of this movie its not perfect kind of action / war movie and the actions and graphics are crazy but at the end as I have said whom have watched The Expendables (2010) First part he will be aware of whats coming so no surprise there at the end its Enjoyable .
  6. Oct 25, 2014
    Jesus Christ this movie is a **** garbage. My expectations of this movie were low to begin with and i can assure you that this movie met my expectations in every term and exceeded them in first 40 minutes.
  7. Oct 22, 2014
    There is something to know from the Expendables movies. And that's that it doesn't focus on quality, artsy film crafting, passing its entire focus on the action. And as a whole, it achieves what it wanted: Provide ample and fine action sequences and entertain audiences with it. But in the end, the viewers will go out of the movies saying it was fun but there isn't anything animally special.
  8. Oct 17, 2014
    Surprised i even decided to do this review but oh it wont be all that long.... well here we go

The Expendables 3 is worst of the franchise simple as that, the script, dialog, acting, and action all were terrible and maybe it could have been a little better with it being a rated R movie like it should have been but no Lionsgate has to try to bleed every penny they can from it by making
    it PG-13. The whole thing with Barney letting go of his old team so they don't end up dying is freaking stupid and throwing in a bunch of new people we don't care about doesn't make things any better. Mel Gibson as the big bad villain of the movie was a absolute joke i don't see how people actually thought he did a good job because he didn't. Now some of that is most likely do to the script being **** but i still don't think he did a good acting performance. I mean seriously he has a scene in the film where it just shows him being a huge dick while buying a expensive painting and that's it nothing else the scene contributes nothing to the overall film other than i don't know to let us know that he is a dick that likes art and there are a couple scenes like this in the movie. Most the new crew they have in the movie was pointless the only one i seemed to like was Ronda Rousey even though she kept having a dumb look on her face she still kicked a ton of ass so it was all good, and what the hell was with Antonio Banderas i understand they tried to make him the comical relief but he just came off as super annoying. The final act was tedious and the end fight with Stallone and Gibson was a snoozefest to say the least. The way the movie ends with them hinting that the new team might take over for the old team was cringeworthy and i seriously hope that wont happen and personally i just wish the franchise dies with this film.

Overall i give it a 5.0
  9. Oct 12, 2014
    most disapointed movie i ever see it. cgi worst, look the beginning of this crap movie. xD

expendablee 1, and 2 best, 3 worst movie i ever see it, worst,worst,worst
  10. Oct 8, 2014
    You were perhaps expecting a deep story line with 500 plot twists and oscar worthy acting? Come on people! This entire series is a tribute to the brainless action filled 80's-90's genre! It's meant to be dumb fun, things go BOOM and BANG and cheesy one liners are tossed around. If you didn't grow up with movies like Die Hard, Rambo, and Commando then you wouldn't appreciate any of the Expendables and you shouldn't be leaving a review here! It's a good action flick and that's all that you need to know. Expand
  11. Oct 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nicholas Cage is not in this movie. I thought the movie was rather bland until the end fight scene. Then it got better. Too many characters though. All the scenes with the old guys were awesome. I didn't see the reason to add in all these young people though. Especially since they were supposed to all die for Barney's cause. It really didn't seem like something Barney would do. I always assumed they were called Expendables because other people hired them thinking that way. Expand
  12. Oct 5, 2014
    Lets just say that this is the third movie in the series and should be the last... Its not complete garbage as it has a good soundtrack with TONS of action actors. The reason this should be the last is because it ends the plot for the Expendables, which you should suspect it to. Stallone gives some good acting here and there and there are indeed some stunts, I would give this review higher because I personally am a fanboy of Stallone, Statham and others, but it wouldnt be an honest fair/ unbiased review. So therefore, 5/10 Expand
  13. Sep 29, 2014
    The only reason I didn't completely bomb this movie when it came to score was because some moments weren't terrible. Otherwise, the second movie stands as the best of the trilogy. I think we could have done without Wesley Snipes, who has not turned into a great actor over the years, and some of the false bravado in the film was cheesy at best. I think the train has run out of steam, and it is time to retire it. Expand
  14. Sep 25, 2014
    The Expendables have definitely overstayed their welcome.

Plot/Story: The story on Expendables 3 was better than the first two I thought. It was slightly more interesting and had a better premise. The first third of the movie is boring. The dialog was weak (Well it is for the whole movie) and uninteresting as well as the characters.Then we get the young expendables. I was dissapointed
    because either than Stallone we didn't get to see many of our favorite 80's action hero's for a good length of time. Too much of the people you weren't excited to see and not enough of the ones you were.The one liners in this one were the weakest of the three. The delivery of them wasn't that good and they fell flat. It was still good to see all the action hero;s from before kick butt again and it was entertaining.

Characters: Flat and Uninteresting.

Action Scenes and Special FX: My god, soo much action. More than the first two. You can't even comprehend what is going on in the final fight. Just forget what will happen to a human when in this situation and you can enjoy, realistically all the Expendables are dead. Many people are wondering if the PG-13 rating will affect it negatively, well not that much. Some instances it is very clear that some blood and gore would have benefited it.

Soundtrack: It's alright, fits with the movie. Nothing that special.
  15. Sep 23, 2014
    this movie sucked and isnt worth watching I have seen it and the others if both my hands had nothing but thumbs id give it 10 thumbs down.....I will not recommend none of my friends or family to watch nor spend a single dime watching it.....Expendable movie no doubt i would burn it if it was given to me.
  16. Sep 18, 2014
    I'm the kind of person that watches movies like this. My favorite guilty pleasure movies are all pretty much Arnold Schwarzenegger action movies but this movie... Seriously what the hell Stallone? I went into the movie exited to see some decent action and a plot that doesn't take itself too seriously but what i got was plot recycled from the previous movies and it took itself wayyy too seriously for what it was. I dont think anyone understood what the hell was going on in stallones characters head when he was randomly ditching the old crew and recruiting some rookie ones for pretty much no damn reason. Only the end shootout was decent and I loved Mel Gibsons character and his acting skills far surpassed all the other actors. Those 2 points i give to the movie come from the few great scenes delivered by Mel and Schwarzenegger that try breaking the general stiffness of the movie but are too little too late to make this even a decent movie. I sincerely hope no more expendables movies ever come out because 1 and 2 was decent but this was just pure crap. Expand
  17. Sep 18, 2014
    I'm not really a big fan of the Expendables series.

Between friends and family I've wound up watching all of them, however, and I'd have to say that out of the bunch number 3 is the best. The main characters developed enough over the first two movies so as to have some backstory, its still fun to see the action stars of my youth teamed up, and the pacing was good.

The plot is pretty
    much what you'd expect from an 80's action flick, but that's okay because the movie never billed itself to be anything else. All and all a solid 7 out of 10. Expand
  18. Sep 16, 2014
    This movie is decent, it's a good movie to end The Expendables. I don't know why everyone says it's bad. The first one was horrible, the 2nd mad it bad*** and the 3rd one ended it.
  19. Sep 16, 2014
    Yeah, I kind of liked it. Hmm? What’s that? I need to say more? Well… if I must. The Expendables 3 was an action movie that typifies the genre. It’s loud, there are frequent explosions and the protagonists survive through situations that no mere mortal could ever walk away from. The script is predictable, though that isn’t really a criticism. If you want an adrenaline-pumping action movie you’re not really there for the story. Which, really, isn’t bad; again, it’s predictable because it’s Action Movie: The Movie, and at that it excels. If you’ve seen an Expendables movie before, prepare yourself for some serious deja-vu.

The basic plot is that an old enemy, played by Mel Gibson, has risen from the proverbial grave and Barny, Sylvester Stallone, deems his team ‘too old’ for this line of work, replacing them with some fresh faces. Until they get predictably captured and the old warhorses have to be brought out to save them. I would say spoilers but, again, if you’re familiar with movies at all none of this will come as a surprise to you, and knowing will detract nothing from your viewing experience.

The almost-entirely-male cast is thoroughly likeable, engaging in a feature-film length contest of ‘who can be the awesomest’ (I don’t care what Word thinks, awesomest is a word), a contest which is used as the framework from which to hang countless excellent stunts and badarse moments. These moments are done exceptionally well and are, quite frankly, the sole reason this movie holds together – so any excuse to have more of them is welcomed with open arms.

The one exception to the likable cast is the sole female character. She just feels like a desperate bid in an otherwise male-dominated movie. This movie fails every possible interpretation of the Bechdel test, the now-infamous metric of just how sexist a movie is. Here’s a hint: For two female characters to have a conversation about something other than men, you need a second female character. Still, it wouldn’t be quite so bad if she weren’t the least-enjoyable screen presence, with every line delivered with an aggravating sneer that just seemed so out of place. She wasn’t as friendly as the blokes and, worse still, she lacked the rogue’s charm that her male counterparts had in spades.

The star power of this film is tremendous, though I still haven’t decided if it’s a good thing or a bad thing. A lot of the movie is about the original team being too old to play mercenary, and it comes across as a bit too… well, apt. Sylvester Stallone is 68 years old now and Arnie follows close behind at 67, and they’re starting to look and sound their age. Portions of the movie are rendered cringe inducing by this fact. Harrison Ford? We all remember that infamous line from Indiana Jones. “It belongs in a museum!” “So do you!” Shockingly, of the three, he’s probably aged the best, in spite of the five years he’s got on Schwarzenegger.

How did the young blood hold up to the old money, though?

Well, I can’t remember a single one of the replacement Expendable’s names, and I walked out of the cinema less than an hour ago as of writing this. I remember all the older, original cast’s, I remember their quirks and charm. I wouldn’t be able to pick the younger ones out of a lineup, again, with the rest of the movie still so fresh in my mind.

Oh, I also remember being really friggin’ annoyed by a couple of missiles, bombs and other miscellaneous explosives that went off right next to the protagonists, including a friggin’ thermobaric missile, and they simply rode the shockwaves and walked it off. Yes, I know it’s a staple of action movies to be pushed away from the explosion and survive it with more damage to your clothes than anything else but, I mean, come on. If someone tells you they were within two meters of of a missile the size of a truck when it detonated they are either a liar or being contacted via séance.

Those are just petty grievances though. If you want big, dumb, loud and shooty, this is definitely the film to watch. Just, for your own safety, turn your brain off at the door.
  20. Sep 9, 2014
    Expendables 3 actually is surprisingly entertaining. This is a straight up action movie, so you are not going to get a great story. But what is there actually works. I found while the younger actors were terrible to watch, the additions of Mel Gibson, Antonio Banderas Wesley Snipes, and Kelsey Grammer brought some weight and humor to the movie. Stallone actually wasnt terrible in the movie too.

The action scenes were great, the end climax action was suberb. The only gripe is that the end fisticuffs between Stallone and Gibson were done too quickly. I miss the days of longer fights between the main hero and villan.

I found myself entertained and felt this was the best Expendables movie yet. Too bad it hasnt done well in the box office. But if you havent seen it, go check it out. Its a good time if you like action movies.
  21. Sep 7, 2014
    Back in my teens and early twenties, my friends and I watched the “Billy Jack” film series. We always had a great time with loud (and occasionally beer-addled) guffaws because we were sure that the Billy Jack movies were the worst that would or could ever hit the big screen. We were wrong. Dave and I watched “The Expendables III” in Paris on Thursday. At first we considered finding it in its original English for better comprehension, but as it turned out, the film could have been in any or no language and it wouldn’t have made any difference at all.

If there’s anything worse than a “chick flick”, it’s a “dick flick”. The “Expendables III” was a loud shoot-em-up experience from the get go. From the opening scenes to the grand explosive finale, there was no plot, no audible or decipherable dialog, and no discernable acting. This was a movie for testosterone-fueled 17 year-old boys with pizza faces. The goal of every character in the film was to kill as many people as feasible, to destroy as many structures as possible, and to bomb and burn as much of their surroundings as imaginable. It was non-stop mayhem. As usual, the bad guys had the worst aim possible allowing for the escape of the good guys through hails of bullets from guns as big as…. well, you know…. the hardly sublimated fantasies of the targeted crowd for this film. I asked Dave if he could tell the difference between the good guys and the bad guys. He said, “Sure, the bad guys are wearing the red hats.” Now really, if you and your hundreds of fellow red hats were being annihilated by a tiny group of muscular air heads, wouldn't you just get rid of the hat? The expendables were so thick headed that they wouldn’t have known the difference - really.

The only member of the cast who showed a modicum of acting was Mel Gibson who played himself - a maniacal, malevolent nut-case. Gibson must have been gratefully willing to accept just about any role in Hollywood after having sabotaged his career by insulting every Jewish producer in town. One of the biggest and most unfunny inside jokes was when the character played by Wesley Snipes was rescued by his berserk compatriots from a top-security prison where he spent eight years for “tax evasion”. Ha Ha ha ha…. no, not really. Sly Stallone’s character strutted his stuff and I admit he looked pretty good, especially for a 68 year-old. I don’t remember what he said in the film, but the directors clearly put more importance on the fit of his military fatigues than on the importance of his script. Harrison Ford, I am truly, truly sorry to say, looked every bit of his 72 years. I love older men and find them very attractive, but Ford just appeared silly in those armored helicopters. Oh where did you go, Hans Solo? Arnold Schwarzenegger chomped on cigars and pretended to deliver clever repartees. Antonio Banderas played such a sycophantic blabbermouth that even I would have shot him with his very own gun! Terry Crews was there too. He looked good with all those oiled muscles, but I don’t think he could ever top his role of President Camacho in “Idiocracy”. Fortunately for him, he was wounded at the beginning of the movie and was mercifully spared the humiliation of further “dialog”. Lo and behold, he miraculously recovered by the end of the spectacle….. never saw that coming! Then there was a group of young whippersnappers amongst the band of the new expendables who used COMPUTERS! Of course the older, wiser and more experienced guys were only slightly impressed and taught these youngsters a thing or two about real, down-and-dirty combat when push came to shove. We don’t need no stinkin’ technology! Just give me a bigger p***s oops, I mean gun. One of the newcomers to the expendable team was a blonde bombshell in an overly tight and short red dress. I’m trying desperately to block any potential images in my mind of the pizza faces with their 3-D glasses when that actress walked onto the screen. She worked as a bouncer in a disreputable night club and regularly walloped big guys by kicking them in the face and in the groin. She laid them out cold on the floor while rolling her eyes as if she were entirely bored with the whole exercise. Even this dominatrix couldn’t speak one intelligent word.

Dolph Lundgren, Jet Li, Kelsey Grammer (Kelsey Grammer?), and all the rest were cringeworthy. In spite of it all, we just saw one person leave the theater before the end of the film. I looked after her with envy, but stayed put just in case David was enjoying the movie. I could, I suppose, point out that this was a matinee and there were only six people in the entire audience. That means 17% of the audience bailed on the show. As it turns out, Dave and I were both doing the same thing and both waiting for the film to end.

Some films are quite entertaining even if some suspension of disbelief is required. However, even that couldn't save this film. If you really feel masochistic, see a chick flick.
  22. Sep 6, 2014
    It's okay. I don't think this deserves a 5.6 score. However... so much expectation especially since they added a new set of casts.

I would agree though that there are a few boring conversations. As expected, too much popular cast gives so little character background. The first 2 Expendables are way much better.
  23. Sep 4, 2014
    I felt that the Expendables 3 should've stick back to its R-rated form filled with all but blood, gore, more violence and some cheesey 80's one-liners. But this year, I kinda lost touch with the 3rd movie. The first 2 was beyond awesome showcasing 80's and 90's action gems into nothing more than a testosterone Rambo meets Road House-style nostalgic reminisce of kick-ass guns blazing action. The 3rd, however, is kinda dumb and not in a good way. For starters, the new cast is weak (except "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey, the first female UFC women's champion, she did a great job in her first acting role) because I don't know why who told it would be a great idea to add an action nobody Kellan Lutz (from the crappy Legend of Hercules), an MMA legend (Victor Ortiz), the actor from "The Goonies," and an unknown actor (Glen Powell) to be in the list of weared-down action heroes. The action scenes were almost as good as usual, but they toned down the violence and the blood that was supposed to be covered were dreadful. The script is lackluster at best, character conversations feels like Love Connection, there's no Jet Li on it, and But the biggest problem is that they make an excuse to make this an unnecessary PG-13 rating to aim less on mature audiences an drew at kids and parents as well. Adding insult to injury, it was the piracy to blame for this one-note joke of a sometimes almost good sequel. Maybe the studio just thought about this to happen once it was released three weeks before the movie even have to wait to buy it on DVD once the movie's run in the theater is over. And that's leading to the supposed downfall of The Expendables. I know they're making a 4th film soon, but can they just end the series right about now? I'm not saying the movie is terrible and all, but my only concern is Arnie and Sly's action movie status. I think it's about time they should hang it up and retire because there's not much left for the fans what they want in a action movie. Expand
  24. Sep 4, 2014
    The best of the pack. Expendables still got juice! Plot that for the first time make sense with motivations and turns. Good acting from the newcomers and lots of BOOOOOOMMMM.
  25. Sep 3, 2014
    If the law of sequels is that each sequel is half as good as the movie before, the Expendables franchise is the perfect textbook example.

While the first Expendables was a fresh action movie with as a surprising twist an all-action ensemble cast, the second one wasn't nearly as good, but made it up with more surprising cameo's (Chuck Norris, Van Damme) and some hard hitting action. And
    now we have the third movie, in which we are "surprised" by not-really-action-stars like Antonio Banderas, and the surly looking (and not in a sexy way) Ronda Rousey along with some other young guns. Sure, there is Mel "I hate J's" Gibson, but even he can't rescue this movie from all the plot holes and miscast newcomers.

I'm just glad I saw this movie when it leaked on the internet, and didn't pay money for a ticket in a theater. I would have felt robbed.

Please Mr. Stallone, let this series die here. Don't make it worse by filming The Expendables 4, with an even cruddier plot and cast.
  26. Sep 2, 2014
    I, for one, like these movies. Ok, Ok, its braindead gun porn. But is that so bad?I mean, as of late, we've been seeing a trend of more or less thoughtful movies. Its nice to just sit back and watch a bunch of old action actors use oversized guns to murder everything in the world, right?
  27. Sep 1, 2014
    The Expendables 1 was awesome.
    The Expendables 2 was weird.
    The Expendables 3 sucks too much.

Luckly they won't make another one because they will lose money.
  28. Sep 1, 2014
    Was not as good as the first 2 films, not even close. I saw this movie in a pretty much empty theater no one really wanted to see this movie. I really wanted to see some old guys kick ass and as you do get some of that it is more younger people doing the fighting. Still some very cool action scenes but not as good as the first two films.
  29. Sep 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really liked the first two Expendables, they delivered exactly what I expected. I grew up watching these action movie legends and to have all of them together in one flick is a dream come true. However this third one turned away a bit from what fans like me wanna see in an Expendables movie - these legends! I didn't like how Jet Li had such a small role (and not even one fight scene), yet they give Kellan Lutz or Victor Ortiz so much more screen time. I mean who cares about these guys in a movie like this? Rousey is also a terrible actress and I think the fight scenes all together were a lot worse than in the previous ones. However there were positives as well, like Wesley Snipes for example! The man is still a presence on screen and he is still kickin' ass. Banderas also brought some fun into the action and Mel Gibson played his villain role well. Though here is another thing I didn't like. You just never felt like the bad guys are powerful enough. They couldn't kill anyone and the only person who got shot was Terry Crews, which resulted in giving one of the best characters such a minor role (again). So I'm not surprised it failed at the box office, I mean it is still a solid action flick, just not worthy for the franchise. Hope there will be a fourth one though, because The Expandables still have potential, and a group of super villains (with action stars like Steven Seagal, Dwayne Johnson, Michael Jai White, Milla Jovovich or Donnie Yen) against the group of heroes could be an awesome final showdown. Expand
  30. Sep 1, 2014
    On what should have been a routine mission the Expendables crew runs into one of their ex-members that, rather than being dead as they all thought, is actually a wanted and dangerous war criminal. That's basically all there is in terms of plot, despite some dull musings on the frivolity that make little sense in a movie where the body count must come close to the one thousand mark.

If
    you've seen either of the first two Expendables movies you'll know exactly what to expect here, namely a bunch of 80's and 90's action stars spouting cheesy one-liners and over the top action sequences. The dialogue is still mostly awful and few of the 'stars' can actually act but when things kick in to gear, such as during the opening train heist or explosive final act, it is undeniably entertaining. In the end it’s not quite as good as the second movie but certainly better than the first and, if you know what you’re getting into, makes for a fairly enjoyable couple of hours. Expand
  31. Lui
    Aug 30, 2014
    "90 seconds from top to bottom" but just 5 seconds from bottom to top, wow.
    so many logical fails and the whole story is just much to simple.

just for lovers of the expendables-series
  32. Aug 29, 2014
    oh my god, this movie is bad, very bad. The second was much better. Do not pay for this movie. Sylvester Stallone should not make films "The Expendables" :(
  33. Aug 28, 2014
    I was unsure when I went to see this third entry in the Expendables series and it was very disappointing.
    The first two movies are great reunions of your favourite action stars from the 80's and 90's and were great for the set pieces done for real with no special effects for pretty much the entire with one or two exceptions.
    And Jason Statham throwing knives at peoples necks is really
    cool. But that was when it was 15a and 16's.
    Now they decided to make it 12a so that stupid kids can go see another toned sequel to more violent movies. Same thing happened to Die Hard 4 and it's because the studio wanted to make more money.
    Then they decided to bring in the most irritating people to be the next generation of Expendables which completely **** up the whole point of the franchise in the first place. Lutz, Rousey, Powell and Ortiz are all there just to draw in the younger audience but I doubt any kids want to see these idiots, they can't act for **** and there jokes made me want to vomit it was just so painful to listen to them and I wish they could have been killed off but no luck there, the actual Expendables are gone for alot of the movie and we are left with just Stallone for about 45 minutes with the new ones. This really dragged the movie down alot, When the actual ones came back then the film picks up a bit but the final 20 or so minutes are set in a pretty generic abandoned town with tall tower blocks and some tanks, which went on for a while and bored the hell out of me. Another problem for me is that Terry Crews is only in the movie for 5 mins in total which really annoyed me as he was so funny and entertaining the first two and Jet Li just decides to show up right before final fight which was pretty stupid as well with Schwarzenegger who isn't as entertaining as he was in the second movie. The biggest mistake of the movie isnt even the annoying
    young actors but the lack of practical effects which were very present in the first two and replaced with digital and cgi explosions which really takes away from the overall effect of the film.

In short, just kill the series before you can screw it up anymore Stallone but if you must make a fourth movie, just get rid of the annoying kids and go back to practical effects.
    One last thing Mel Gibson is a terrible villian but Antonio Banderas is THE funniest part of the film.
  34. Aug 27, 2014
    With this amount of huge action stars in the figure you can only expect one thing, action. There is no need for strong monologues or anything like that. This movie is as good as a shoot em up as it gets. All the one liners are still in tact. There is a reasonable amount of comedy in the mix. Antonio Banderas was hilarious which I didn't expect in this one. I'm hoping Stallone gears up for the 4th because I'm in! Expand
  35. Aug 27, 2014
    Worst out of the 3 which is why i gave it a low score, it delivered action and star power, but it fell short in story which is the most important part. The potential was great, but the underdevelopment of the bad guy Conrad Stonebanks (Mel Gibson), to make time for recruiting nobodies was a big failing. Mel is capable of being a stronger character than the script allowed.
    I enjoyed
    Kelsey Grammer's character, was funny and saved a part of the movie from being extremely boring. Antonio Banderas's character annoyed me as much as the characters in the move, stupidly funny but more annoying.

The main reason this wasn't great was because i simply didn't care what happpens to the characters, they seem invincible, there was no emotional connection to the movie.

Its worth seeing because of the great actors and action sequences, despite the poor story and character development. They could do better than this, they must be running out of ideas, and just throwing more past prime actors at it.
  36. Aug 24, 2014
    You never look at a movie review on metacritic. No point. The critics are **** who don't appreciate the great 80's style movies, like this one. The plot is good, maybe needed a little work, the acting is fantastic, and the choreographed action blows your mind. Unfortunately, it WAS an 18 (a lot of blood, violence, gore) but it had to be cut down to a 12A. Of course, the version with the violence would have been better.

People who say there is 'dull action sequences'. Watch the film first, please, instead of being a pet dog to the critics. Anyway, here is the point. The Expendables 1. Ok. The Expendables 2. Brilliant. The Expendables 3. Fantastic. The films seem to get better and better as they go on.

Now stop wasting your time looking at crooked and brain-dead reviews, watch the damn film!

Arnold Schwarzenegger: Let's GET TO THE CHAPPA!.

10/10. **** the critics.
  37. Aug 23, 2014
    The end of the movie was the sigh of relief. My eyes needed to take a break probably every minute. Hilarious much? Nope. Corny as hell. Wouldn't even re-watch this piece of junk if they paid me a billion dollars.
  38. Aug 23, 2014
    It's like someone put all my favorite actors into a blender with all the wrong ingredients.

The story was just pathetic and reminded me of those foreign B-grade knock-offs of action movies. The scripts were just horrible, the dialogues were awkward and felt forced. Jet li in particular didn't appear to put any effort into his part, not that I could blame him.

There was no chemistry
    going on at all and the relentless cheese-ball anecdotes made me cringe in embarrassment. Time to fold up that directors chair Sly. Expand
  39. Aug 22, 2014
    The only way to up the stakes is to toss in a few more names, so Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford and Kelsey Grammer join some of the stalwarts. After leader Sylvester Stallone fires his old gang, he recruits a bland new group of younger talent (and Antonio Banderas for laffs). The gun-heavy action scenes are a confusing blur with odds that are even more absurd. Some of the one-liners manage a chuckle, but the "serious" moments drag down the pace. This is pretty much an action in-joke with nobody trying very hard. Expand
  40. Aug 21, 2014
    Well The Expendables 3 is an ok action movie, the characters played their parts well, amazing action scenes, and by the way fantastic homour from Antonio bandereas I loved his character he made the film more lighter and fun. But I feel the Expendables didn't develop it's characters well we see snipes half of the movie with no development of his caracter which was disappointing as he stared out strong, as well as jet li who hardly features at All in the movie.
    The movie has ambition but really lacks that drive to keep viewers focused on the theme and storyline which is covered up by some old school action, which we all remember from the likes of silvester, spines and dolph.
    But overally it's a movie worth watching just forget about the storyline it's funny, action packed and absolutely FANTASTIC.
  41. Aug 20, 2014
    Old and new, mostly old, meet at this worst of the Expendables series. With more star power than ever the third installment is actually a regression instead of improvement. While some actors undeniably show their age, Wesley Snipe, Antonio Banderas and Mel Gibson as the new additions have acting and action quality. Yet the result is a dull movie made up by less appealing fights and more plodded pacing. There's barely any excitement, self-deprecating humor or grandiose action that's expected from Expendables. At this state it's just below average action flick and a waste of the star value.

The cast consists of actors who had headlined their own successful movies, and possibly still could do so in present time. However, the high number of characters doesn't help much as the movie tries to divvy screen time to accommodate them. Each probably has one or two scenes on their belt, and even that is mostly shared with Stallone. Without sounding too rude, Stallone looks as if he still wears the residue of makeup from his fight in Rocky IV. It's honestly sad to see some of them age, Ford and Arnold also don't look very compelling.

Story isn't told that well either, screenplay is fragmented and the editing is a bit choppy. The flow is erratic with scenes seemingly too short and dialogues are too campy and prolonged. It appears messy as though the movie wants to incorporate several sequences in a row but fails to deliver a polished pace. This translates into the fights, which unfortunately are less engaging than the previous two titles. The violence has been dumb down into vanilla fight, typical punches and shooting that are eclipsed by more brutal and fast paced action of late. It has its moments, Wesley Snipes and Ronda Rousey look more convincing, but overall tone of the action is definitely softer.

What worse is it uses more CG this time. Preceded by horde of summer blockbusters before it, that also have emphasis on CG, the movie's looks artificial and apparent. If audience wants to see obviously fake explosion or stunt, they would but the ticket to mutated turtles show. The Expendables 3 simply doesn't offer any that hasn't been done better by recent movies. Despite the flaws, Mel Gibson produces a good acting, better than the rest at least. Antonio Banderas also brings his usual fiery performance, although the material could be better for him.

It's a hard case to recommend The Expendables 3, what separates it from some Cinemax retro movie is the name line-up, and it's even more disappointing that a movie with these names turns up to be so mediocre.
  42. Aug 20, 2014
    Have seen the previous films and thought this one had plenty of action in it to make it worthwhile watching. If you like action this is one to watch. Have to admit my heroes do look old these days but they act well still. I am one for action and don't worry too much about much more as long as the story line is ok, this was. The only thing I had to moan about was the cinema seats.
  43. Aug 19, 2014
    This movie is a good movie the action is great the story is.....well there's barely any story the acting is alright i have seen better love mel gibson in this movie he stole the show!
  44. Aug 19, 2014
    The movie is wrong. The concept is great though - starring all the action movie celebrities. Remember Cowboy and Aliens with Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig? Same happened here. Explosions, shooting, fake drama isn't just wrong - it's annoying! I felt like this movie forced me to become stupid so that I can enjoy it. And I would enjoy it, had they wrote a better story. Awful
  45. Aug 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sometimes in life you don't always need a decent plot, a narrative or even a believable scenario and this is a prime example of it.

What the movie provides is pure unadulterated adrenaline fueled entertainment so none of that other stuff matters, if your looking for nostalgic memories with a huge cast of unforgettable people and stuff getting blown up this movie is defiantly for you.
  46. Aug 19, 2014
    I actually thought it was a pretty good film. Let's face it it is what it is and it blows my mind that people expect something that will rank as something akin to a classic in years to come. I stil think the first one was the most fun but this has some great set pieces.
  47. Aug 18, 2014
    I can stomach an action film but this one was absolute garbage and I agree with other reviews in saying that it may have well killed this once promising franchise. Terrible acting, Far too many cast members (probably would have had better dialogue with thinner numbers), and a god awful plot that was painfully predictable.
  48. Aug 17, 2014
    If you want non-stop action this is your movie. Very entertaining and always great seeing the great action heroes from the last few years! The best group of action heroes ever!
  49. Aug 17, 2014
    This is the most disapointing movie of the year. I like the first 2 films becuase it showed a bunch of old action heroes doing stuff they really shouldnt because of how old they are. This one completely forgets that and says "let's add some fresh faces to atract young girls." Are you people high? Dull action, script, characters. I really can't find anything I liked. 3/10 - Terrible.
  50. Aug 17, 2014
    I thought this movie was a complete waste of time. It was nowhere near as entertaining as the first two Expendables that I really enjoyed. The plot was extremely weak, chock full of cliches and was completely predictable. I know that's kind of the point with these films, but this one doesn't pull it off well. You always know whats coming next with this film, it doesn't have any surprises or interesting scenes. The actors are far too good for the plot.

It was also a bad idea reducing the rating to PG-13, I had a bunch of inconsiderate kids in front of me that couldn't stop texting every 5 minutes. In trying to expand the market for this film the producers have just made it suck more. I doubt I'll be watching 4, if it ever gets made.
  51. Aug 16, 2014
    The best expendables yet! Look, don't go in there expecting a story worthy of an oscar. But the action sequences are very well done. All my favorite actors are there too! Lots of good old school action with a movie not afraid to poke fun at itself. Recommend if you're in the mood and you know what you're getting into.
  52. Aug 16, 2014
    The most fun ive had at the movies all summer! Tons of great action and actors.Sly and Mel Gibson are on top of their game.Lots of funny lines and great additions to the team! A Must See!
  53. Aug 16, 2014
    I really liked this movie a lot more than the second one. It's just.. Very fun. Banderas and Gibson just steal every single scene they're in. The only downsides I saw were the sometimes bad CGI effects, poor characterisation of the "new" Expendables and the very, very annoying PG13. Other than that - It's almost as good as the first part. Tongue-in-cheek all the way, with some hilarious lines. It was just so nice to see and hear that the entire cinema I was in had such good fun while watching this film. I can only hope for an unrated version.. Expand
  54. Aug 16, 2014
    So really quick, did you catch this in theaters or did you watch it online?

Stallone and crew (sort of) are back for Expendables 3 and the movie sucks horribly. It's a horrible action movie, it's a horrible Stallone movie, it's a horrible Expendables movie. Ask yourself, "Why do you like the Expendables?" Your answer should because it's a movie that brings together the action stars of
    the 80s and 90s in a explosive, action-fest we've been dreaming about. This movie throws that premise out the window quick and gives you modern action crap that's as dull and boring as modern dramas. We came to see our action favorites battle it out on screen with the bad guys, not a bunch of new nobodies no one cares about. Seriously, they toss out Stallone's team for most of the movie for the sake of introducing a load of new people you won't care about. We even get a VERY dull montage of Stallone picking up the new recruits with Kelsey Grammer's character and this is where the film dies for about 30 minutes. It was so long and boring I had trouble staying awake. We get 2 dull White guys, a girl who looks like a guy and a INCREDIBLY ANNOYING Antonio Banderas to round out the new additions. Really though, why did they make Banderas so F-ing irritating? Speaking of new additions Wesley Snipes, Mel Gibson and Harrison "I shot first!" Ford make their Expendables debut. While seeing these guys on screen for this was kinda cool they really didn't do anything, especially Ford who came off as tired and looking bored. I never expected this movie to have Oscar quality acting, but at least give a damn. The action scenes were flashy, although not interesting, seriously how come we went from the gore and guts of Expendables 1 to the no blood and knives in the back crap of Expendables 3. These movies are supposed to be love letters to the action packed movies of a begone era right? So how come they can't get the level of over the top violence right? As far as action movies go this one was bad, real bad. It's a bad action flick and it's a slap in the face to Expendables fans who like/loved the first 2 movies. If this movie were to play on TNT on a Saturday afternoon they wouldn't have to worry about editing anything out. It's that tame. Do yourself a favor and skip this one and hope the 4th one is better. Expand
  55. Aug 16, 2014
    Critics, you **** never change. Audiences around this great nation will TRULY appreciate this exciting 3rd chapter in The Expendables franchise. And a commercial will appear on television saying that The Expendables 3 is the "#1 film in America". So suck on that! This is an ACTION-WAR film which focuses mainly on a group of ELITE MERCENARIES, which is even a much bigger team now because there are 16 mercenaries in this team. What's not to like? The Expendables series is a perfect series. It has taken a very large cast of stars to come together in order to form an even bigger team of elite mercenaries for The Expendables 3. Expand
  56. Aug 16, 2014
    Excessively violent and completely unbelievable, The Expendables 3 injects more worn out and recycled actors into a very worn out and recycled franchise.
  57. Aug 16, 2014
    I was a little bit worried that Stallone would run this series into the ground with this sequel, but surprisingly the large cast is well managed and everybody gets something to do. The practical effects are refreshing and the action is well choreographed. The plot while thin is better than the previous two films and is bolstered by Gibson's charismatic performance. In particular, Banderas, Gibson, and Stallone get a lot of screen time and the characters are more interesting this go round as opposed to Part 2. It was also refreshing to see Snipes again. I do not believe the film suffers at all due to a lack of gore and the PG-13 rating makes the film more accessible to a younger audience. The younger cast do a good job trying to keep pace with the older veterans of the series as well. Expand
  58. Aug 15, 2014
    The Expendables are back again! With the long A listers acting and boom blam action, what is there not to love? Well, The Expendables 3 is the worst in the series. The film starts out with The Expendables- Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Kellan Lutz (a new entry) and Yin Yang (Jet Li). They are trying to rescue Wesley Snipes for some reason, I think its because he was a part of The Expendables. The opening scene is fun, it's has great action. And thats what this movie is good about! Action, explosions and Stallone with his deep voice. The characters were great in the previous films, but this movie kind of shows them as grumpy people who just want to kill. Yeah, it could have been improved. Director Patrick Hughes never finds the plot of the film, you are left wondering what happened to that guy or where is that guy gone to. The action is good, plot? Not so much. Mel Gibson, as the villain, was good. The acting is okay, Stallone and supporting are good. TE3 is full of cameos as well. Wow, A LOT of cameos. Well, I can't say it's the best film of the series. Why did I say worst? Because the previous films had charm and and cool story to look up to. This one doesn't so, yeah. Because of those reasons, it's just another mediocre action movie, unless you want to see cool action and old (famous) guys kick butt. And why is it pg-13, why?!!!! Expand
  59. Aug 15, 2014
    Hands down worst movie of 2014! And it's only August!

there cant possibly be a worst movie than this with all the cheesy **** dialogue. Plot was hilariously bad. So
    many actors that were pathetic and just pointless. And **** all you idiots that pay money for dumb **** like this, don't EVER mention this piece of **** again. ****ing embarrassing
  60. Aug 15, 2014
    While not the worst movie ever, it completely lost it's identity when Stallone went off and hired those new guys. I didn't recognize any of them except the female MMA fighter so I didn't really care much for any of them. The action (mainly the gunfights - hand to hand was enjoyable) was laughable. It's like the enemies are shooting with blindfolds on while the heroes have aimbots. Seriously, one of the fires backwards, not even looking and kills 5 baddies. I would still watch the Expendables 4, but only if they stop with the campy-ness of the movie and bring it back to Expendables 1 action. And focus on the core group, they are the people we actually like (kind of). Expand
  61. Aug 15, 2014
    Some don’t seem to like this franchise, with it formula of action over story and plot. Some don’t like the decision to make this third installment PG-13. But, rating it PG-13 lets a bigger (and paying!) audience see the film (specifically younger people). I guess one of the reasons people liked the films in the first place was because of the bloody and gory violence, with language. However, that’s not the only thing that makes this movie series interesting—it’s the chance to see a bunch of your favorite (well, if you’re older) childhood movie actors kick-ass. Maybe a “water-down” Expendables isn’t appealing to some, but for others it lets them see the movie.

If you haven’t seen The Expendables 1 and 2, you can follow along on the story fine without them. To be blunt and honest, the first two films weren’t too well received by some critics anyway. IMO the plot and story are OK—probably a bit too simple. It’s not the best, but I don’t care about that much anyway. In a similar fashion to the Fast & Furious and Transformers series, I just come to be entertained. I leave my brain at the door, and throw logic out the window. I honestly disagree with the critics over both TMNT and TE3. Both are fun and entertaining, and that’s all I care about. I think the movie is just fun with comedy, crazy action stunts/scenes, and a big cast. It tops absurd action stunt after absurd action stunt.

One thing I noticed was that most of the characters had weird names: Barney, Christmas, Galgo, Toll Road, Hale Caesar, John Smilee, Mars, Goran Vata, , Max Drummer, and Trench Mauser. But who cares. Most of the cast members were interesting and fun, some more than others. The Expendables 3 has too many cast members, with a bigger focus on the new blood; the younger generation of “The Expendables”. They’re not horrible, but I care more about old people kicking ass. Most of the younger actors are unfortunately too similar to over-done generic archetypes/stereotypes. We should get to know them better if we’re going to care about them (especially when they get kidnapped in the movie).

Anyway, too large a cast. The best actors don’t have enough screentime. The plot is too simple (for a team called “The Expendables”, most of them don’t seem expendable enough to be left behind). However, tanks and explosions and guns and motorcycles and helicopters make it fun enough.

If you liked this review, read my other ones on movies, TV shows, and videogames. I have reviewed the 2014 films Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Guardians of the Galaxy, Sharknado 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men Days of Future Past, Godzilla, Blended, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Transcendence, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Blended, The Lego Movie, and more. I also review TV shows, such as : TNT’s The Last Ship, Fox's Sleepy Hollow, ABC's Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, CW's The 100, Fox's I Wanna Marry Harry, NBC's Crisis, Fox's Gang Related, and more.

Good bye! Sincerely, AG732.
  62. Aug 15, 2014
    Basically what you would expect from an Expendables movie. The great cast of action stars team up once again with some new faces and it's a heck of a lot of fun. I gotta give special praise to Wesley Snipes and Kellan Lutz. Snipes character is a blast and Lutz proves he can actually act. I found Banderas to be pretty entertaining as the comic relief character, but others might find his motor-mouth character to be grating. The rest of the newcomers fail to make much of an impression.

As far as plot goes it's very similar to the second. One of the team gets taken out and Stallone's character is out for revenge. It manages to stay entertaining thanks to Mel Gibson being awesome as the villain. However the plot isn't the appeal of this series. It's seeing the best action stars of the past and present coming together in some crazy awesome action scenes, and there the movie delivers. However it's also directly tied to the movies biggest problem. A lack of urgency.

There's no real threat to our heroes. Much like in the first two movies you'll watch the team blow through huge amounts of goons while barely taking a scratch. The Expendables? More like the invincibles. Still it's not hard to enjoy all the explosions and gunfire, especially when they're delivered with humor and a tongue-in-cheek style like they are here.

It's an entertaining movie. One that benefits greatly from it's plethora of great stars. It might be the weakest in the series, but it's got enough fun to entertain action movie fans. I give it a 7.5/10.
  63. Aug 15, 2014
    If you are at all inclined to see an action movie like this, with an ensemble cast, you MUST see it opening weekend. My audience was whooping it up every time a new long-time star hit the screen, which couldn't help but making everyone smile. The entire movie is tongue-in-cheek, and if you don't take it that way, you don't get it. Arnie trots out, "Let's Go to the Choppa!", which gets a roar. Rhonda Rousey is not terrible in her first major acting gig - though not nearly as good as Gina Carano. The worst thing you can do is see this on DVD - or by yourself. Expand
  64. Aug 15, 2014
    If you were expecting academy award performances mixed with a compelling storyline, clearly you were mistaken. This film offers just what one would expect from a sequel to the first two Expendables, a stellar cast of former action stars, big guns, big explosions, and garbled lines. It is a fun popcorn movie and should not be rated on the basis of artistic merit. That's why I gave it a 7
  65. Aug 15, 2014
    Horrible story, boring conversations and of course the same dull action sequences. That’s what defines this third installment of The Expendables.

Just as the previous movie, it suffers with to much focus on the characters and to little on the story, which makes it so boring. Yes the actors are incredible, but if you focus to much on them and you forget the story, what’s the point then?!
    There are also to much talking that just made me roll my eyes of tediousness, and the CGI is a bit vague at some places. The only positive aspects with this movie is that the opening scene is great, and there are some funny scenes that I truly enjoy. But it’s not one of the movies of 2014 that I would recommend anyone to watch.

A bit better than the first film, but worse than the second.

The Expendebles 3 get a 5.7/10
  66. Aug 15, 2014
    The movie is almost non-stop action, with an ensemble cast that spans the genre. If you are looking for a fast paced adventure film with more EXPLOSIONS than a Michael Bay film, this will fill your needs handily.
    Laughed out loud at Snipes quips, new cast members were likable, and while the story was not quite as good as the first movie it was leaps & bounds better than the second film.

Mel Gibson is easily THE reason to watch this third installment.
  67. Aug 15, 2014
    ¿Las causas de que Los Mercenarios 3 sea peor que las dos anteriores?
    1. PG-13: le resta mucha gracia a la película, eliminando así la sangre y el gore de las escenas de acción. Demasiado "light".
    2. Los buenos actores. Los clásicos. Salen muy poco. Demasiado poco... El nuevo reparto es muy mediocre y, maldita sea, ¿quien quiere verlos?
    3. Dura 2 horas (unos 20 minutos mas que las
    anteriores) y le sobra casi 1 hora de metraje. Mucho diálogo que no lleva a ninguna parte y escenas un poco aburridas.
    4. Mel Gibson hace un papel muy pobre. Podrías perderte su pelea final solo con pestañear.

Lo mejor de la peli es Antonio Banderas. Es el único personaje divertido de toda la película. Las escenas de acción han perdido mucho sin la sangre, aunque parezca una tontería.
    Si hacen Los Mercenarios 4 y va a ser igual que esta, mejor que lo dejen aquí...
  68. Aug 15, 2014
    I haven't seen any of the expendables movies before, but this threequel shows me that the previous two are also tons of fun and I have to go back and see them.
  69. Aug 15, 2014
    I saw this movie, instead of Guardians Of The Galaxy... now, I'm regretting this. This movie was pretty and it killed this franchise. Just... just watch Guardians Of The Galaxy instead.
  70. Aug 15, 2014
    This movie is an absolute piece of crap! It is worst than the first and second movies put together. Never in my life have a seen such a overblown and pointless movie. The only character to watch is Mel Gibson as he makes a pretty good bad guy but everyone else is lazy and uninteresting. Please do not send your money watching this movie.....u have been warned.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Aug 18, 2014
    Studying the topography of decay in a veteran actor’s face is one of the few worthy pursuits for moviegoers sitting through the epic-length, belligerently inconsequential The Expendables 3 — a picture whose very title proclaims its redundancy.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Aug 16, 2014
    For a mostly brainless movie, The Expendables 3 has a surprisingly dense plot, which is part of the problem. The 2-hour running length is unnecessarily long.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Aug 15, 2014
    The Expendables 3, trading on our affection for action stars of the past, has officially worn out its already shaky welcome.