Lionsgate | Release Date: August 13, 2010
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 459 Ratings
Watch Now
A_NorthernerDec 24, 2012
Yes, it probably is the 'most awesome action cast ever assembled' but unsurprisingly it's far from the most awesome action film. Many years have past since some of these guys were at their peak and they certainly having spent that time inYes, it probably is the 'most awesome action cast ever assembled' but unsurprisingly it's far from the most awesome action film. Many years have past since some of these guys were at their peak and they certainly having spent that time in acting classes. Dolph Lundgren wins my vote for the worst performance, just don't tell him I said that.

I haven't seen all that many 80's action films that The Expendables may be a throwback tribute to so perhaps I'm not amongst the audience likely to enjoy this film. A large part of the film is shot in the dark, and it does makes it a little difficult to work out which beefcake action star is talking trash or more likely shooting at an other. The plot is simple, no problems with that. Statham's girlfriend issue brings no value to the film or character and is a see-through attempt to add some 'character development' somewhere, anywhere. When Jean Claude van Damme turns down a role citing lack of substance to a character you know you are in trouble.

There are some nice touches in the film, the short scene with Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Willis being worth watching the film for. Schwarzenegger commenting that Stallone 'loves playing around in the jungle' certainly made me chuckle. Also, wrestling stars Stone Cold and Randy Couture going head to head at the end was a treat for sports fans.

The Expendables is what it is, an over the top action film, definitely nothing more and probably even a little less.
AutiTakahashiMay 30, 2012
Sylvester Stallone. Jason Statham. Jet Li. Mickey Rourke. Terry Crews. Stone Cold Steve Austin. Bruce Willis. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Dear reader, though you would be wrong, it is not ignorant of you to assume that what I am about to review isSylvester Stallone. Jason Statham. Jet Li. Mickey Rourke. Terry Crews. Stone Cold Steve Austin. Bruce Willis. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Dear reader, though you would be wrong, it is not ignorant of you to assume that what I am about to review is the latest Old Spice commercial.

The names mentioned above are, in fact, the entire advertising campaign of "The Expendables." In posters, in trailers, in interviews, that is all you hear mentioned, asked, and promoted. Never before in movie history has there been a bigger opportunity to fabricate the most epic action movie of all time. And never before has there been such a more embarrassing failure to seize such an opportunity.

The producers of "The Expendables" may have been so busy casting our action heroes that they ended up forgetting to hire a credible writer and director. But no worries, because good 'ol Stallone himself has volunteered to fill those empty, very essential roles.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/the-expendables-movie-review/
GarianAug 18, 2012
I enjoyed watching the film, the action was great and that AA-12, god damn that thing was powerful, the story was pretty linear and slightly predictable, but the action and little bits of comedy makes up for it, it was awesome to see all theI enjoyed watching the film, the action was great and that AA-12, god damn that thing was powerful, the story was pretty linear and slightly predictable, but the action and little bits of comedy makes up for it, it was awesome to see all the badass action heroes we all know in one team. My only problem with the film is that in some scenes, you have no idea what's going on at all, and supposedly the audience is being told to see it as "The good guys are killing the bad guys" I didn't really like that. But overall, it was a great film and i'm looking forward to The Expendables 2. Expand
SamblixAug 15, 2012
The boys are back in town. A great action movie, done by the boys who know it best. Story wasn't great but then, who expected anything else. This movie, is any and every boys wet dream and finally, it's reality. Great action sequences thatThe boys are back in town. A great action movie, done by the boys who know it best. Story wasn't great but then, who expected anything else. This movie, is any and every boys wet dream and finally, it's reality. Great action sequences that surprising don't make the cast look ancient, even if the majority of them are. Some pretty crappy CGI moments aren't enough to ruin the experience. The only thing that would have made it better would have been more Arnie and more Willis. Roll on number 2!! Expand
riferrariAug 21, 2012
I wouldn't give a bad rating for this movie and despite its mistakes, I found it very entertaining. The action scenes are superb and most of the characters are interpreted by famous actors, so I would say, if you like action movies, watch it.
cameronmorewoodNov 7, 2012
Too many characters try to do too much in what is a murky, underdeveloped story that leaves us unmotivated and unmoved.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Gruesomely entertaining with hopelessly amusing silliness throughout.
WriteFilmLive21Dec 9, 2012
"The Expendables" is a rough, harsh, testosterone-packed action flick that provides more than ample entertainment. Although the story is somewhat minimalist and the characters aren't too engaging most of the time, the movie makes up for it"The Expendables" is a rough, harsh, testosterone-packed action flick that provides more than ample entertainment. Although the story is somewhat minimalist and the characters aren't too engaging most of the time, the movie makes up for it with fast, bloody, explosive action scenes - the highlight being the extensive adrenaline rush that makes the film's last big sequence. The best stuff comes from the three primary stars - Stallone, Statham and Li, with Statham's brutal skills with a knife being my favorite. It's a satisfying, steroidal firework of hard-as-nails shoot-outs and fisticuffs, and will easily sate your appetite for violence and heroic mayhem on more than one occasion. Expand
worleyjamersDec 8, 2012
Short on plot like I expected, but it's surprisingly short on action as well. The Expendables was not the kick-ass collaboration it should have been. Forgettable.
RedShadowHatDec 31, 2012
I thought it was going to be a good movie when I saw who was all in it but as I watched it, lots of people who are usually the main people in a few only had 30 seconds in the entire movie. The fighting scenes had too many explosions and tooI thought it was going to be a good movie when I saw who was all in it but as I watched it, lots of people who are usually the main people in a few only had 30 seconds in the entire movie. The fighting scenes had too many explosions and too unrealistic but thats what you get when you watch a Stallone movie. And besides that fact, there werent enough fight scenes. I was bored pretty much the whole time. Collapse
baole58Jul 1, 2013
A film about a group of men taking down bad guys and dictator. Big deal! You don't need to be intelligent to make a film like The Expendables that caters to lesser minds. A group of action heroes with some entertaining action sequences is aA film about a group of men taking down bad guys and dictator. Big deal! You don't need to be intelligent to make a film like The Expendables that caters to lesser minds. A group of action heroes with some entertaining action sequences is a sure box office success but how many more films are they going to make like this just for the sake of money.

We don't need, or want, to see more of the same crap. A "homage" to 80s and 90s action films. Yeah right, that's what they want you to believe and that's what the filmmakers justify as a good movie. The Expendables is just as modern as the movie adaptation of The A-Team. Plot and funny dialogues, or memorable one-liners, are nowhere to be found.

Sylvester Stallone doesn't get to hog the screen just because he's the director when there's a group of A-listers starring in the same film who, compare to Stallone, happens to take the back seat. A film that stars Bruce Willis, who's only in the movie for like 2 minutes. Mickey Rourke may not be participating in the "epic" action sequences but his performance outshines the whole cast. How can he star in a whack job of a movie?

We've moved on from the 80s and 90s, films standards are higher now. Haven't you heard of a saying "We can't live in the past!" Stallone, you're not Rambo anymore. A film starring a group of big named actors should hit harder but nowadays, they mostly don't. Don't waste your time or money on this crap.
Erik_ImsenFeb 9, 2013
It truly hurts me saying it, but the movie sucks. What looked like an homage to the 1980s-1990s action flicks with a dream cast turns out to be a mountain of disappointment in this plot-less, characterless, humorless pseudo homage. Hell!!It truly hurts me saying it, but the movie sucks. What looked like an homage to the 1980s-1990s action flicks with a dream cast turns out to be a mountain of disappointment in this plot-less, characterless, humorless pseudo homage. Hell!! Even the action scenes are horrible!! A film shouldn't be a prisoner of it's own genre. An action film genre does not excuse a poor script, just as an horror film genre does not excuse flat and uninteresting characters. Defending an action film that has no story by saying "all that matters are the action scenes" in one of the most widespread fallacies. Take a Die Hard, or a Bourne film. The movies are great because the action scenes are great but TIED TOGETHER by a good when not great story. Which is why The Expendables cannot get any grade higher than 1 by my standards. The only semi-developed character is Statham's (and I didn't care, it was just so flat and boring), and the rest is pretty much useless. Which is a shame when you see that a movie such as Sin City manages to introduce you to up to 12 memorable characters in 2 hours, and The Expendables fails to even make you like one in 1 and 1/2 hour. In total, both villains must have a consolidated screen time of 6 minutes, which isn't much, especially when you add how flat and boring they are. You do not understand them, you don't like them, you don't fear them, you don't even dislike them. You simply couldn't care less about them. Rourke's emotional moment that is supposed to be the pivot of the film comes out of nowhere and falls flat. As for Stallone motivations... And to make even things worse, you don't even believe that they are a bunch of friends used to fighting together. Couture's pseudo-funny moment about his ears falls flat too, and so does the buddy effect.// The script is so dull it looks like it didn't even care about it's own credibility. I didn't buy for a second the whole dictatorial mini-state that pops out of nowhere. And last but not least: the action scenes: THEY AREN'T EVEN GOOD!!!! The editing is so erratic you can't even enjoy the fights! All you see are 10 frame long close-ups of body parts moving and probably hitting other body parts, cut every once in a while by a wide angle 15 frame sequence shot. Couture's fight against the villain's lieutenant is not interesting, the main villain's death is bad borderline ridiculous. And they blow up. In conclusion, I'd say that the premise of the film is what killed it: by wanting to put too much, you end up with nothing. Expand
ThegodfathersonMay 25, 2013
Once he'd gathered his impressive cast, Sylvester Stallone didn't have to do too much to please the audience that would flock to The Expendables. It was meant to be a B-movie at best, a collection of over-muscled actors and expensiveOnce he'd gathered his impressive cast, Sylvester Stallone didn't have to do too much to please the audience that would flock to The Expendables. It was meant to be a B-movie at best, a collection of over-muscled actors and expensive explosions in some cheap and exotic location that, when you squint, could pass for the jungles of Rambo II. But the beauty of good B-movies was always that they were efficient, putting together a tight plot that included as many action scenes as possible and never bothered with actor egos or, well, acting. The Expendables, though, is a bloated mess, a bunch of guys past their prime punching and kicking each other and pretending its for our benefit, when its really just one last self-congratulatory hurrah. The giant list of beefy male names is the major draw of The Expendables, but it's also what kills it. A movie about Stallone and Statham's lead characters kicking ass and taking names in a foreign country might have gone somewhere, but the movie is utterly overstuffed, making room for a Lundgren vs Li fight scene, an entire subplot about Randy Couture's cauliflower ear, and worst of all, a 10-minute Mickey Rourke monologue in which he looks mournfully into a mirror, makes up an absurd story about his heartbreak on a previous mission, and silently cries. All of these will make for hilarious YouTube clips in the coming months, but they're frustrating to watch in context as a movie with actual potential constantly kneecaps itself because the director and the cast had no idea when to give it a rest. Is The Expendables the manliest movie of the summer? Probably-- it is ridiculously violent, male strength without being too homoerotic, and treats women as pure, perfect beings who exist to be rescued. That kind of old-school machismo is missing from most modern action movies, and fans of old-school Stallone and Lundgren and company will likely flock to the Expendables with their bros, ready to watch the blood and guts fly. But if you were old enough to love Rambo III un-ironically the first time around, you're way too old now to be fooled by the dull and desperate Expendables. Expand
azgoodazDec 1, 2015
A lot of people disliked this movie, but I thought it was pretty decent. It separated itself from different action movies. The movie is filled with a funny cast, and overall it is filled with action that anyone will love.
genericusenameMay 31, 2013
It was awfully written, even by action movie standards. I expected a movie with solid action and a passable plot. The action scenes weren't bad; that's the only reason I'm not giving it the lowest possible score. But the writing and actingIt was awfully written, even by action movie standards. I expected a movie with solid action and a passable plot. The action scenes weren't bad; that's the only reason I'm not giving it the lowest possible score. But the writing and acting was some of the worst I've seen. I had to turn it off half-way through. It tried to be big but flopped massively. Expand
TheApplegnomeAug 15, 2014
This is a fine example on what could happen when an actor (Sylvester Stallone) directs a movie.

There are some positive things about this movie, and one of these is that there are a good amount of action sometimes, but not often. There are also some unique scenes in this movie, but not many. It also got some funny stuff, and I really enjoyed the action in the ending. But The Expendables doesn't got as much action as I thought it would have, the actors just had boring conversations. The Expendables also got a terrible story.

The Expendables is on the cliff to fall down into the deep black hole where all the bad movies are, and it just went down!

The Expendables get a 3,5/10
MovieGuysSep 28, 2013
It won't appear at the Academy Awards this year, or any year, but that's not this film's purpose. It is solely meant to entertain with over-the-top action scenes and veteran actors whose prime was in the 80's. So, don't hate on Expendables ifIt won't appear at the Academy Awards this year, or any year, but that's not this film's purpose. It is solely meant to entertain with over-the-top action scenes and veteran actors whose prime was in the 80's. So, don't hate on Expendables if it's not the best movie you've ever scene, because it's a good movie on its own. Expand
mishabridunJan 3, 2014
This movie was pretty much a mashup of all the stars and movies like Rambo 2 and Commando. Although it had some iconic moments and funny jokes the action scenes were far from satisfying. The heros just spray and spray and explosions go on andThis movie was pretty much a mashup of all the stars and movies like Rambo 2 and Commando. Although it had some iconic moments and funny jokes the action scenes were far from satisfying. The heros just spray and spray and explosions go on and somehow the bad guys always miss... Overall, I think this movie could have been much better considering the number of great actors that it had. Expand
chwAug 4, 2014
The Expendables wasn't as good as the second movie (oddly enough it's usually the other way around), but this movie was still good, and will be enjoyed by people who don't usually see these kinds of movies.
mentrixSep 1, 2017
One of the better action films of recent years for me. Great stunt shows. A strong dose of action throughout the film. Zero unnecessary inserts. Great atmosphere for people who like old action movies.
GoinBananazAug 31, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An awesome lineup makes for a nonstop action classic with this movie. I am not a big fan of Jason Statham though he did a great job as a tough guy, true to form. Appearances by Willis and Schwarzenegger were a nice touch as well. The storyline was so so for me though it was never boring. The violence was over the top which is to be expected in a movie of this type, but did not deter from the story.
I give this movie an 8.
TerryCrewsFanAug 19, 2014
The critics were wrong. Terry Crews is an amazing actor and I believe that in this film Terry Crews shows that he can portray his character, Terry Crews, very well. The way he goes about his business in The Expendables is unmatched by anyThe critics were wrong. Terry Crews is an amazing actor and I believe that in this film Terry Crews shows that he can portray his character, Terry Crews, very well. The way he goes about his business in The Expendables is unmatched by any other character, including Stalone whose dialogue consists simply of, "Ndghnghdnhg." Expand
CorbanDallas2Jan 19, 2015
This is quite possibly one of the worst movies I have ever been subjected to... terrible in every possible way. bad script, bad disjointed nonsensical plot, inanely lame and poorly executed action sequences. this film has zero redeeming features...
Zanessa250QIJul 24, 2015
PeterTravers a.k.a **** of Rolling Stones that don't understand a simple plot,that don't like a great movie.......................... And so much other **** SOB...
sicranoAug 7, 2015
........................................................................................................................Peter Travers Idiot!!!,That don't understand and aprecciate the action and comedy of this great and excellent movie...
CineAutoctonoDec 20, 2015
" The Expendables " very aciion started with the hardest of Hollywood, Stallone, Statham, Lundgren , Li, Crews, Couture, Rourke and Willis, a bit boring but the other side shocking .
FilmQueenOct 25, 2015
I like good action movies, but only with a story behind the explosions. There are a few funny jokes in The Expendables, but not funny enough to distract me from the fact that the story is non-existent. Also there are some painfully annoyingI like good action movies, but only with a story behind the explosions. There are a few funny jokes in The Expendables, but not funny enough to distract me from the fact that the story is non-existent. Also there are some painfully annoying conversations about relationships, this love story subplot could fit into the dumbest romantic comedy ever made. Expand