The Fighter

8.1

1. Dec 28, 2010
    As a huge fight fan, and a fan of Micky Ward, I was hugely disappointed that this movie isn't better than it is. Mark W plays that same character he always plays. I love Melissa Leo from "Homicide" and "Frozen River", but her role borders on caricature. Similarly, Christian Bale completely overplays his part. The 6 or 7 sisters are hilarious, but not at all realistic. Amy Adams does aAs a huge fight fan, and a fan of Micky Ward, I was hugely disappointed that this movie isn't better than it is. Mark W plays that same character he always plays. I love Melissa Leo from "Homicide" and "Frozen River", but her role borders on caricature. Similarly, Christian Bale completely overplays his part. The 6 or 7 sisters are hilarious, but not at all realistic. Amy Adams does a terrific job, however - she's the standout here. And on a final note - I was very disappointed that they didn't get to any of the Gatti bouts. Those were incredible fights and said so much about Ward's character. Expand
  2. Jan 8, 2011
    I really wanted to love this movie. After reading the reviews and seeing the trailer, I had such high hopes for The Fighter. I was so very disappointed. The acting was outstanding, however, the characters never drew me in. I felt bored throughout the whole movie. It was just so predictable, and long.
  3. Dec 17, 2010
    Sports dramas can fall either into "rousing entertainments" or more the way of a "character study". "the Fighter" belongs to the first group, where it sits about as high in my esteem as "the Boxer" with Daniel Day-Lewis does on the "character study" side: it's fair and has redeeming qualities, but in it's group it sits behind "Rocky" and just a notch passed "Cinderella Man" as "the Boxer"Sports dramas can fall either into "rousing entertainments" or more the way of a "character study". "the Fighter" belongs to the first group, where it sits about as high in my esteem as "the Boxer" with Daniel Day-Lewis does on the "character study" side: it's fair and has redeeming qualities, but in it's group it sits behind "Rocky" and just a notch passed "Cinderella Man" as "the Boxer" sits behind "Raging Bull" and "the Wrestler" in it's group. Mark Wahlberg is not quite comfortable yet as a leading man, and the movie considers too much of the archetypal blue collar behavior that surrounds him and drowns out his performance. Not a bad movie. It passes the time. But after the hype fades over the next couple of weeks, people will come to their senses on this one, I think. As far as rousing entertainments go, "Secretariat" beats this one by a length. Expand
  4. Dec 18, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can't necessarily blame Wahlberg, as his modest performance is the one element that feels truly authentic and heartfelt. follow review in http://www.cinscreen.com/?id=1107 Expand
  5. Dec 18, 2010
    If I'm going to watch a film about a bunch of classless characters (with the exception of Wahlberg's) at least show it to me with some class...throw me an original music score, exercise style with the camera, instead of relying in only hand held close-ups. The fighting sequences were awful..they felt artificial and under-rehearsed (specially the one in which Ward knocks out the boxer fromIf I'm going to watch a film about a bunch of classless characters (with the exception of Wahlberg's) at least show it to me with some class...throw me an original music score, exercise style with the camera, instead of relying in only hand held close-ups. The fighting sequences were awful..they felt artificial and under-rehearsed (specially the one in which Ward knocks out the boxer from mexico). Walhberg played it soft, but maybe too soft....
    Bale's performance was mostly shocking, and although for some moments it felt too chaotic and over the top, it should be the only reason for anyone to watch this film.
    -5.5-
  6. Dec 30, 2010
    This movie is not a boxing classic--whoever said that. The characters seem to be something of a caricature--do people like this really exist? I just can't imagine there are real people so 'in your face.' Bale was barely recognizable--too much over the top as a crack addict.

i don't understand the attraction of Mark Wahlberg. He seems to have no range with either physical or emotional acting. It was hard for me not to leave in the middle of the movie. It was trying to be edgy but was basically uninteresting.
  7. Feb 7, 2011
    This film would have been better without the constant intrusion of the mother and family ties, half their input and more about the boxing would have been a big improvement.
  8. Jan 2, 2012
    Although predictable and not inspiring. The Fighter has incredible performances from Adams, Wahlberg, Bale, and Leo. So it basically saves the movie. I give this movie 65%.
  9. Mar 7, 2012
    When you compare this film to other boxing films like Rocky and Raging Bull, It doesnt compete. Wahlberg was average at best in this film, Bale was simply amazing and the only reason for actually watching this. Its a slightly above average sports film, Nothing more imo.
  10. Nov 21, 2013
    Mediocre to the core I'd say. The movie plot was a bit too plain and it didn't reach the climax spot. It just wasn't there, except for Christian Bale's awesome performance. He transformed into a complete person, I almost didn't recognize him. Expected more, but the movie gave less.
  11. Aug 31, 2012
    The cast is great. There are funny well acted characters. The story is just kind if, blah. The acting is the reason why you want and should see this movie. The boxing just adds as a secondary attraction.

1. Reviewed by: Adam Smith
    Jan 31, 2011
    An exhilarating fight-flick that, like its scrappy central character, is impossible not to root for.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Jan 4, 2011
    Urgent, gritty, sometimes weirdly funny, The Fighter might be considered his first feel-good movie. But Russell's too honest and acute an observer to serve up affirmation without leaving a subversive aftertaste of ambivalence and unease.
  3. Reviewed by: Calvin Wilson
    Dec 17, 2010
    Director David O. Russell ("Three Kings") delivers a film of staggering impact.