8.1

1. Mar 21, 2015
    A good movie about a boxer balancing between his family, his management, his girlfriend and sports. Great performance by Bale and a well-deserved Oscar.
  2. Feb 13, 2015
    This true story about light welterweight boxer and Micky Ward makes for less of a sports movie than a domestic drama about blue-collar brothers struggling to stay a family while the forces of drug addiction and parental ambition tear them apart.But there is something a little too cartoonish about Micky's completely impossible family and also something a little too short-sighted in aThis true story about light welterweight boxer and Micky Ward makes for less of a sports movie than a domestic drama about blue-collar brothers struggling to stay a family while the forces of drug addiction and parental ambition tear them apart.But there is something a little too cartoonish about Micky's completely impossible family and also something a little too short-sighted in a protagonist who can't see the obvious — that his family, and not other fighters, is what stands in his way as a boxer.Until he catch a girlfriend Charlene played by Amy Adam.She is the only one who pushes him to stand up to his family.And it soon is clear enough that Charlene is the only character in the film who is not delusional and with her eyes like blue steel and swarm of red hair it's very easy to like it.It's not clear in the movie why Micky never spots any of this dysfunction.He wants to live up to an image Dickie put in his mind when he was a kid, an impression so strong that he doesn't realize that it disintegrated long ago.The movie greats very good drama and very good atmosphere but i kind of didn't like so much the boxing matches and the end The boxing sequences get bunched toward the end. The Director deliberately shoots them in brightly lit video that makes it look like you're watching television. He has broadcasters and ringsiders comment on the fights, but seldom takes you close enough to hear what Dickie might be saying to Micky. You're outside the ring, not inside. So like much of this film, the viewer is turned into an observer. You never feel close enough to the action, either in the ring or in the kitchens, living rooms and tough streets where the story takes place. The characters engage you up to a point but never really pull you in. Expand
  3. Nov 26, 2014
    The Fighter is the only David O. Russell film that I've enjoyed. I never cared for Silver Linings Playbook or American Hustle. This film obviously involves sports but there is just so much more conflict than that going. Boxing can be the least of problems at a lot of points in the movie. I watched this movie without any knowledge of the characters so I had no idea how it was supposed toThe Fighter is the only David O. Russell film that I've enjoyed. I never cared for Silver Linings Playbook or American Hustle. This film obviously involves sports but there is just so much more conflict than that going. Boxing can be the least of problems at a lot of points in the movie. I watched this movie without any knowledge of the characters so I had no idea how it was supposed to end and it kept me guessing from the start. This film gains more depth as it goes along and it only gets better as it progresses. Mark Wahlberg is great as he consistently is and Amy Adams was impressive as well but Christian Bale just steals the show for me. This is probably the best role I've seen him play. Nice to see him get the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for this movie. Its well deserved. Expand
  4. Nov 25, 2014
    Fascinating story and brilliant acting especially from Christian Bale makes this movie well worth a view. Its a shame that they left out some of the matches Micky lost, I Wonder if its to glorify his career. Nonetheless it is a very good movies with some great acting.
  5. Aug 28, 2014
    David O. Russell's brilliance certainly comes through with The Fighter. But it's the cast of performers than excel this beyond just another boxing film. Christian Bale is gritty and honest, and on that note, so are Melissa Leo and Amy Adams.
  6. Nov 21, 2013
    Mediocre to the core I'd say. The movie plot was a bit too plain and it didn't reach the climax spot. It just wasn't there, except for Christian Bale's awesome performance. He transformed into a complete person, I almost didn't recognize him. Expected more, but the movie gave less.
  7. Oct 12, 2013
    O diretor David O.russell sem duvida um dos melhores da época atual, pois ele sempre segue a mesma fórmula em seus filmes, um tema complicado com um alto teor dramático com cenas tocantes, mas com vários alívios cômicos bem dosados que tiram um pouco do peso da trama e que deixam o filme mais divertido e melhor de se ver, o diretor tambem expressa muito bom gosto para aparte técnica aO diretor David O.russell sem duvida um dos melhores da época atual, pois ele sempre segue a mesma fórmula em seus filmes, um tema complicado com um alto teor dramático com cenas tocantes, mas com vários alívios cômicos bem dosados que tiram um pouco do peso da trama e que deixam o filme mais divertido e melhor de se ver, o diretor tambem expressa muito bom gosto para aparte técnica a qual esta muito bem feita ,especeialmente na parte de imagem que reproduz muito bem as cenas de lutas oficiais transmitidas pela TV, e a parte de som especialmente a trilha sonora que conta com grandes musicas boas de rock.
    But the best of the film are the performances, Mark Wahlberg is very well his character and his dilemma, choosing between his girlfriend and his family, Amy Adans also works well in a decontrída but very serious, Melissa Leo is superb as it can translate shining bright so the sorrows and joys of a matriarch, but who steals Cristian Bale is he so good here that even remotely resembles the Batman, their ways of looking and acting are extremely pitiful, his victory was the oscar more than deserved.
    Putting it all gets a more than satisfactory result, a heartwarming story and companionship family the best style Rock Balboa.
  8. Jul 8, 2013
    An outstanding film by David O'Russell only surpassed by 2012's Silver Linings Playbook. The performances by Amy Adams, Mark Wahlberg, and expecially Christian Bale.
  9. Jun 29, 2013
    Awesome film. As per usual, both Wahlberg and Bale do an outstanding job of acting, as does Amy Adams as Micky's girlfriend. At the end of the day, it's a sports movie, but it's an extremely good one that has characteristics most typical sports movies do not have. It draws you in with the in-depth and at times depressing story of Micky Ward's life and then his turn around into a champion.
  10. Apr 4, 2013
    this movie has all the elements of being awesome great story great script great direction and until this movie came out i didn't believe that Christian Bale can actually act at all cause i'm used to see him in suite as MR.Wayne in Batman series and i didn't recognize him at the first sight i think he deserved that Oscar so much it should have coming flying to him also greatthis movie has all the elements of being awesome great story great script great direction and until this movie came out i didn't believe that Christian Bale can actually act at all cause i'm used to see him in suite as MR.Wayne in Batman series and i didn't recognize him at the first sight i think he deserved that Oscar so much it should have coming flying to him also great performance by Mark Wahlberg and i loved every minute of the movie this is one of the perfect movies that based on true-story. Expand
  11. Feb 16, 2013
    Set aside the gore and violence for a second... and think can you make a great 130 min sports drama without Sylvester Stallone The Fighter.... What an amazing movie. Everything was good about this film. It was a good kick ass sport drama. The critics are right about this film guys must WATCH. Well 9/10 is my review
  12. Jan 11, 2013
    This is not just another underdog boxing story. It's more so about the dynamics of family, more specifically, a chaotic and at times detestable family. And it is incredibly real. There is no fluff here. Just all of the love, frustration and difficulty that comes with life's web of human relationships when things don't always go your way. It's entertaining and the characters are so much funThis is not just another underdog boxing story. It's more so about the dynamics of family, more specifically, a chaotic and at times detestable family. And it is incredibly real. There is no fluff here. Just all of the love, frustration and difficulty that comes with life's web of human relationships when things don't always go your way. It's entertaining and the characters are so much fun to watch. Great acting from everyone, especially Christian Bale who gave just about as convincing a portrayal of an individual as I've ever seen in film. Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2012
    The Fighter was the one movie that I knew I had to see in 2010. My two favorite actors are Amy Adams and Christian Bale, so I knew I had to see this film to see them together. As the release date came closer, and as more and more Oscar buzz flowed, I knew this was going to be a great one. It is. This film is easily among the 5 best films of the year, if not the best.

The best part of

The best part of this film is the acting. Unbelievable! The three main supporting cast members give some of the best performances I have ever seen. They have to go down as one strongest supporting casts ever. I believe Christian Bale will finally receive his long overdue Oscar. His performance is simply incredible. He completely takes ownership of the role and simply disappears entirely into the character. His character changes so much throughout the film and no better actor could have delivered as affectively. I also loved Melissa Leo's performance. Absolutely stunning! She is so real and believable as the tough mother. Her performance is truly remarkable. I believe Melissa Leo will win the Oscar for best supporting actress, but it was Amy Adams that completely made this film for me. Her performance is phenomenal! She completely steals every scene. She flawlessly portrays the quiet but tough Charlene. This film shows Amy Adams at her best. She, too, will receive an Oscar nomination, hopefully the win. Also, her performance really allows Mark Wahlberg to shine as well. He gives a good performance, but the entire film is dominated by stellar supporting actors.

A thing that surprised me was the screenplay. The script is simply fantastic. It is so real, strong, and genuinely portrays what the people of the area and time would have been like. The script also has many humorous moments that were surprising, but absolutely perfect. The Fighter is so much more than a typical sports or boxing film. It focuses more on relationships, family, and conflicts as opposed to the boxing. I have to mention the final fight scene.....brilliant. The perfect ending to a great movie. After being blessed with the first 90 minutes of the film, we are treated by an awesome final boxing scene. Loved it! Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay, this is a brilliant film. Far better than Rocky and Raging Bull will ever be. This deserved every amount of praise it received. Props to Mark Wahlberg for pushing to create this film!

Absolutely loved it. One of my favorites!
  14. Nov 28, 2012
    Guided by some unwaveringly perfect performances, "The Fighter" is a dignified example of what sports dramas should be - humble, honest, and exhilarating.
  15. Nov 28, 2012
    To the head, to the body, to the Budweiser: The Fighter (a true story, yet a thinly-masked Budweiser commercial, to be sure) deserves accolades, yes, but why is every punch delivered with the same video-game sound effect? Never loud for some punches, fainter for others -- just punch-sound, punch-sound, punch-sound: Get real, sound editors. Of course, it's nothing new that fighting soundsTo the head, to the body, to the Budweiser: The Fighter (a true story, yet a thinly-masked Budweiser commercial, to be sure) deserves accolades, yes, but why is every punch delivered with the same video-game sound effect? Never loud for some punches, fainter for others -- just punch-sound, punch-sound, punch-sound: Get real, sound editors. Of course, it's nothing new that fighting sounds have always been exaggerated in Hollywood (with the possible exception of Jeff Bridges' punch in Peter Bogdanovich's "Last Picture Show"), and there is indeed much integrity in the history of boxing, but why is knocking someone out still a sport? Isn't boxing just romanticized human rooster-fighting? For the same reason we hire babes in bikinis to hold up "Round 1" signs, we (more often than not, males) are apparently just animals out for sex, blood, and Budweiser (and if we are not, that makes no difference for what Hollywood sells). That said, I thought Wahlberg (strangely, no nomination) and Mellisa Leo (nominated for best supporting actress [and later winning that award with an historical (expletive!) acceptance speech]), were both excellent, and the mother's 7 white-trash daughters were both intentionally amusing and scary. Is it worth seeing? Sure -- it's a true story, and Wahlberg and Bale (who also later won an oscar) offer genuine portrayals. Lastly, you had to love the clip tagged on the end with the real brothers from Lowell, Mass. They did not need to tell you who was who--it was a charming tag after an unsettling story. Expand
  16. Nov 8, 2012
    The Fighter is a great movie, no doubt about that. The only minor problem was the performance of Walhberg, he could have made his character more eager. Mick's desire to make his own life better and to earn the championship needs to be developed more form Walhberg. However, Walhberg's act as a modest person is legitimate.
  17. Nov 7, 2012
    Every performance is excellent and Bale is perfect. The Fighter tells a story of lies, love, and perseverance, and is quite possibly the best film of the year.
  18. Sep 2, 2012
    The Fighter is an excellently acted, scripted and paced pugilistic bio-pic. It entertains and uplifts. What more could you want from a boxing movie? Amy Adams in a black lace bra? It's got that too!
  19. Aug 31, 2012
    The cast is great. There are funny well acted characters. The story is just kind if, blah. The acting is the reason why you want and should see this movie. The boxing just adds as a secondary attraction.
  20. Aug 24, 2012
    A fantastic film which has an unbelievable cast. Everyone pulls their weight and with the storyline and characters vying for your every emotion, this is a film for all, not just boxing fans. I almost felt as if Micky Ward (Mark Wahlberg) wasn't the main character but his brother, Dicky Eklund (Christian Bale), was. It felt like a Ben Affleck film (and I mean that as a complement), aboutA fantastic film which has an unbelievable cast. Everyone pulls their weight and with the storyline and characters vying for your every emotion, this is a film for all, not just boxing fans. I almost felt as if Micky Ward (Mark Wahlberg) wasn't the main character but his brother, Dicky Eklund (Christian Bale), was. It felt like a Ben Affleck film (and I mean that as a complement), about the hardships of growing up around Boston. This is a film of one man's dream and all the obstacles that are placed in his way to stop him. Expand
  21. Jun 4, 2012
    A Really Complex Film That In My Opinion Was 100% Ignored From The Public...
    Very Good Film And Acting..
  22. Apr 5, 2012
    I do like this movie, but I do not love it. The performances were great -except from those one of the sisters- and evidently, the relationship between Mickey, and the other characters is portrayed realistically yet, at times it feels shallow. The characters are stereotypicals and often bordering the caricaturesque... somehow forced. Finally, I would have loved to see a bit more of MickyI do like this movie, but I do not love it. The performances were great -except from those one of the sisters- and evidently, the relationship between Mickey, and the other characters is portrayed realistically yet, at times it feels shallow. The characters are stereotypicals and often bordering the caricaturesque... somehow forced. Finally, I would have loved to see a bit more of Micky training, and the whole inner and outer process he undergoes before he becomes the world champion, because obviously, his personality evolved. Sadly, in the film, there is almost no transition from old Mickey to New Mickey. It was a two hours movie; paradoxically, considering its length, I expected much more... Expand
  23. Mar 24, 2012
    The Fighter sorry to say is another typical boxing movie only with the screwed up family, a brother who is a crack addict and a girlfriend who is just trying help mark wahlberg along. yet of all the strong acting the leading role fell flat in which made the movie flat as well.
  24. Mar 10, 2012
    The Fighter is a very complex film that catches you from the beginning to the end, and this is for the topics that treats; with this I do not refer to the boxing, but family conflicts, drug problems, free thought and a society that lost the sense of right and wrong.
    The Fighter portrayed a failed boxer called Micky, who is trying to improve, but because of his situation that is impossible: he is hunted by the shadow of success of his older brother Dicky; he is constantly attacked by his family and that is way he cannot think by himself; he is crushed by the idea that has his hometown about him (Micky is a fighter that is used by the other ones in order to category up).
    The ironic thing is that his life (a healthy boxer trying to balance his feelings between his girlfriend and his family) is control by a drug addict with a false success in life brother and by a fanatic and bipolar mother. This two support characters are the foundation of the film, because they both are trying to project a life to a utopic future, but Dicky and his mom are too blind to see the reality, because they live in the past, where Dick had dignity and Alice had common sense.
    These two characters are awesomely played by Christian Bale and Melissa Leo, those dazzling performances and the no expected one of Amy Adams, cover the wasted one of Mark Whalberg.
  25. Mar 7, 2012
    When you compare this film to other boxing films like Rocky and Raging Bull, It doesnt compete. Wahlberg was average at best in this film, Bale was simply amazing and the only reason for actually watching this. Its a slightly above average sports film, Nothing more imo.
  26. Feb 11, 2012
    THE FIGHTER: LIFE-AFFIRMING

GIVE IT A TRY IF... You are not ashamed of crying and laughing at the same time.

STEER CLEAR IF... You donâ
  27. Jan 31, 2012
    The performance of Christian Bale and Amy Adams lift this movie from mediocrity and although there is nothing surprising or that hasn't been seen before it is worth a watch although don't set your hopes too high as it's no Rocky and is a million miles from Raging Bull.
  28. Jan 18, 2012
    My friends loved this show, however, I found it to be more of a rip off of rocky, I didn't think it was as good as it could have been. However, it wasn't a bad movie. I would rate it an average movie.
  29. Jan 2, 2012
    Although predictable and not inspiring. The Fighter has incredible performances from Adams, Wahlberg, Bale, and Leo. So it basically saves the movie. I give this movie 65%.
  30. Dec 21, 2011
    Bale steals the show here, plain and simple. He truly has transformed into this role and it is just amazing to watch him in the perfection of his craft. All other players give outstanding performances but Bale drives the film and makes it interesting. This film had a tendency to drag, but the family drama is magnified to such an extent that it's hard not to feel for them. Leo gives anBale steals the show here, plain and simple. He truly has transformed into this role and it is just amazing to watch him in the perfection of his craft. All other players give outstanding performances but Bale drives the film and makes it interesting. This film had a tendency to drag, but the family drama is magnified to such an extent that it's hard not to feel for them. Leo gives an especially strong performance here as well and portrays yet another completely transformed character. However, this film just doesn't have that strong underdog punch that so many of us wanted to see. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Adam Smith
    Jan 31, 2011
    An exhilarating fight-flick that, like its scrappy central character, is impossible not to root for.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Jan 4, 2011
    Urgent, gritty, sometimes weirdly funny, The Fighter might be considered his first feel-good movie. But Russell's too honest and acute an observer to serve up affirmation without leaving a subversive aftertaste of ambivalence and unease.
  3. Reviewed by: Calvin Wilson
    Dec 17, 2010
    Director David O. Russell ("Three Kings") delivers a film of staggering impact.