Paramount Pictures | Release Date: June 30, 1993
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 82 Ratings
WATCH NOW
TylerDurden900Jul 19, 2014
The Firm is an intense thriller with top notch acting and an intriguing plot. Tom Cruise gives a classic role
along with a talented supporting cast in this movie based on a John Grisham novel.
LansdenrsJun 20, 2013
Nicely plotted film with high intensity and a tremendous script. Acting was superb. The film makes it so there's no way out. Minor Spoiler******* and Tom cruise gets out.
MovieGuysSep 29, 2013
A melodrama worth watching, The Firm is a very ironically correct title, as this movie is very sturdy and "firm", and it knows where it's going. It has a good foundation, benefitting from the great performances and intriguing story, and it'sA melodrama worth watching, The Firm is a very ironically correct title, as this movie is very sturdy and "firm", and it knows where it's going. It has a good foundation, benefitting from the great performances and intriguing story, and it's a very intelligent thriller that won't be forgotten anytime soon. Expand
Tss5078Apr 10, 2015
I am a huge John Grisham fan, but I never cared much for The Firm. I finally decided to watch it as part of a paper for my film class, because as the first adaptation of a Grisham novel, it was important to the paper, but I still can'tI am a huge John Grisham fan, but I never cared much for The Firm. I finally decided to watch it as part of a paper for my film class, because as the first adaptation of a Grisham novel, it was important to the paper, but I still can't explain why it was the first novel they decided to turn into a movie. The story follows a younger lawyer who is graduating at the top of his Harvard Law class. As the offers pour in, he has a tough decision to make, and finally settles on a small Nashville firm, that has made him an offer that is too good to be true. As he starts working for The Firm, Mitch McDeere (Tom Cruise) comes to realize that their only client is an organized crime syndicate and he's trapped inside. Eventually, the FBI comes to McDeere and tries to recruit him as a whistle blower, and his response is somewhat unorthodox. What I never understood about this story is why McDeere went to the lengths he did. He could have achieved the same outcome by simply complying with one side or the other. He jumps through all these hoops and does all these secretive things in order to achieve the same outcome. To me, this always made the second half of the book and film to be pretty much pointless. Tom Cruise stars and shines in the type of role that defined his early career. At this point in his career, if Tom Cruise is not starring as a dark loner or a sci-fi action hero, there isn't any point to watching his movies, but back in the early 90s he really had that special spark that has garnered him the reputation he has today. Cruise was paired with Gene Hackman, making the perfect dynamic of the old star, turning things over to the new. It was a bold move that didn't work out so well for the Indiana Jones franchise, but here it was one of the most interesting things about this film. The acting is terrific and a Grisham film is always very clever and well written, but as I said I've never been a fan of The Firm. The second half of the story just doesn't sit right with me and I'll continue to say it no matter how good the cast is. Expand
Compi24Jan 31, 2014
Sydney Pollack's "The Firm" ultimately finds a home within its respective sub-genre, but it almost bites off more than it can proverbially chew with its insane length and a plot that may be far beyond the layman's grasp.
marcmyworksFeb 10, 2014
A generally suspense filmed movie that unfortunately is flawed with the Randy Newman-wet dream piano soundtrack and schmaltzy-gee whizz ending. Probably very much of its time.