6.2

1. May 14, 2012
    Blunt and Segel are both very good. I see them both being very successful in both comedy and drama. They are both in the select category of actors who act with their entire faces. Many of the supporting actors were quite good as well. Sadly, the film wastes their considerable talent. The film is just too full of raunch with no good explanation why. Too few truly funny scenes and way too many ugly, raunchy, awkward scenes which added nothing to a good story idea, only made the movie too long. Expand
  2. May 8, 2012
    It is such a pity as this movie has a really sweet movie somwhere in it!! I really wanted to like this and have really enjoyed all the other segel/apatow etc productions, but this movie just seems confused. It starts out as a rom com and quite a good one at that, but then all of a sudden it becomes a gross out comedy...then back to a sweet movie...then gross out...and so on...aaaaaghh!!! Its tone is way off and i just wish they could have stuck with what worked and not tried to squeeze in every toilet and f%%$# joke out there!! Expand
  3. Sep 22, 2012
    What a drag! Worryingly enough the title should have been a clear give away that this would be a long and tedious process, but I didn't listen. And it felt sooooo stretched out and ironically unengaging!
  4. Aug 22, 2012
    They're are a lot of people who are not me who would probably love this. I lived in San Francisco for 20 years so I enjoyed how beautiful the city is as a background. But I'm not a marriage person and I would have preferred a little less Anglophilia (even though Emily Blunt is the star). But I can see how lots of people would think this was 'super cute'. And it was, until suddenly it wasn't anymore (about an hour in). Good looking people, commonly quirky situations, and very generic/middle brow wit. If you are part of a couple contemplating the 'big plunge', put this on your cue. If you're a confirmed bachelor/bachelorette, or not in a couple..it can wait.
    ETA;I'm going through an Anti Social-Programming phase and THIS film absolutely warns of the dangers of not conforming to social expectations. If you're okay with cute little lessons in 'how to be normal' but still acceptably quirky, then this is definitely for you. If you don't care to walk the same path as every other person who every pretended to be happy and don't need another example of how to do it, avoid this. It's just the same couple you've seen a million times.
  5. Aug 29, 2012
    I love Jason Segel... normally, but after The Muppets and then this he should give up writing. this is truly one of the worst romantic comedies I've ever seen.
  6. Aug 27, 2012
    it has a few funny moments . The jokes are overrated, it feels like if Nicholas Stoller [ writer, director ] is tired of doing this . The timing in the acting with the secondary actors is so bad, and the music even is by itself good ... gets cheesy 3 or 4 times . The runtime is 124 min but if you decide to watch it you are going to feel like if it lasts 3 1/2 hrs .
  7. Jul 19, 2012
    It's a pity the humour got lost along the way, I mean, the film was funny to begin with, but the jokes just became so few and far between. About halfway through the film, I was wondering if the painful drag out to 2 hours was ever going to end. I mean, if this was supposed to be a romantic comedy, it suddenly became a headache-inducing bore-fest. There were so many scenes that could have been removed and many of the characters apart from the main ones became incredibly pointless. If it wasn't for my sister, I would have dived out of the cinema the second I realised I was wasting my time. Expand
  8. Mar 27, 2013
    This movie was a straight TURD. It never gets going and it is depressing to watch. Instead of feeling engaged in the movie you feel put off by it and it makes getting engaged seem like a drag. The writers were trying to too hard to get laughs and the whole donut thing was a total waste and awful analogy. Writers these days are trying to be too outlandish and weird and this movie is a great example of when it doesn't pay off. Expand
  9. Jun 21, 2012
    More like the Five-Year Coma. Boring and depressing characters and dialogue, made worse by the fact that most of the movie is set in the perma-depressed, Detroit.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 21, 2012
    As for Violet, Emily Blunt brings to the role genuine sympathy, and she continues to thaw out the ice-queen hauteur of her earlier movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Simon Braund
    Jun 17, 2012
    Another solid hit from Planet Apatow - charming, funny and remarkably in tune with real life.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 30, 2012
    It's a seize-the-day movie, even though the day is a long time coming. [7 May 2012, p.80]