7.2

1. Jan 12, 2012
    Great movie, which tell you a crucial war story from a special point. However, I still can not fee strong logic for those 13 "flowers" to sacrifice their life for others.
  2. Jul 17, 2012
    Don't go into this hoping it's an action flick. This is not a "Hero" or "House of Flying Daggers" martial arts/Wuxia flick. And just because it's a "war movie" doesn't mean it has to be non-stop action. Saving Private Ryan is mostly drama with an under current of action, and so is this. If you want action, watch a Michael Bay movie or a Jason Stathom flick. This is a Zhang Yimou movieDon't go into this hoping it's an action flick. This is not a "Hero" or "House of Flying Daggers" martial arts/Wuxia flick. And just because it's a "war movie" doesn't mean it has to be non-stop action. Saving Private Ryan is mostly drama with an under current of action, and so is this. If you want action, watch a Michael Bay movie or a Jason Stathom flick. This is a Zhang Yimou movie (Curse of the Golden Flower, The Road Home...etc) so it's going to mostly be about drama, as it should. It's a film about the relationship between an American mortician (Christian Bale), teenage Chinese school girls, and Chinese prostitutes learning to respect one another during the Japanese invasion of China, and it's done so in a beautiful sort of melodramatic way. Hiding in a church, we take a journey with the characters as they get to know one another under stressful, war-time tension. I was surprised when learning that Christian Bale would be play the American mortician, but he seemed to be more believable than I expected. It's worth a viewing, especially if you're a fan of Zhang Yimou's work. Expand
  3. Dec 25, 2011
    I have never been deeply moved by a Chinese movie,but the film ,The Flowes of War does it,.It made me a unforgettable impression.The polt and the frame of movie are very excellent .Most important, I was deeply stirred by the sad story of 13 FLOWERS .ALSO by the CHINA in the past .As a Chinese,I feel angry and wanna cry .But I can't forget the history of this period .This is aI have never been deeply moved by a Chinese movie,but the film ,The Flowes of War does it,.It made me a unforgettable impression.The polt and the frame of movie are very excellent .Most important, I was deeply stirred by the sad story of 13 FLOWERS .ALSO by the CHINA in the past .As a Chinese,I feel angry and wanna cry .But I can't forget the history of this period .This is a good film ,and it gives me a significant lesson.By the way,I hope you can love it like me. Expand
  4. Aug 19, 2012
    Amazing Amazing Amazing movie. Tear jerker but amazing acting and amazing story line. It has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. And I am a avid movie goer.
  5. Jan 11, 2012
    I think this film reflects a compelling story of China. The director made â
  6. GGH
    Jan 28, 2012
    The Flowers of War: The story happened in a church where is closest to God, the cruelty of war and the goodness of humanity exhibited... kinetic battle scenes, beautiful photography and impressive performances, sad result but inspiring and unforgettable! I have to say this is an amazing movie!
  7. Feb 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is a good chinese film.Best director,best Actor,best Screenwriter.I moved by the film deeply!The film expresses braveï¼ Expand
  8. Dec 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Donner 10 à un film est toujours mal vu. Mais moi je me dis, si j'ai adorée le film, s'il m'a touché, si je n'y ai pas trouvé de longueur et que j'en aurais demandé plus...voilà quelques raison pourquoi je donne 10. Dans ce film dont les images ne sont pas facile à regarder, où les balles traversent les corps et les têtes...certaines scènes démontrent un grand côté artistique, voire la beauté à travers le drame, la scène qui me vient en tête est celle que les filles de joies s'enroulent dans les draps blancs, elles tournent sur elles-mêmes, en même temps, tel une performance de ballet. Lorsque les filles laissent tomber à tour de rôle un miroir qui éclate en fracats par terre au ralenti. Tout au long du film il y a des intrigues et des revirements de situation. Les actrices asiatiques m'ont particulièrement touchées. Vraiment, ce film est magnique. Expand
  9. NFW
    Jun 25, 2015
    There is no honorable war. It's all terrible. Don't agree, think of it this way: how are the deaths of 300,000 Chinese innocents and the rape of 20,000 Chinese women honorable? It's not. "The Flowers of War" isn't just an effective anti-war film, but a powerful picture on what it means to be human.
  10. Oct 11, 2013
    A great film. Very interesting and moving story. You really get a view on the Nanjing Massacre with the graphic cruelty and horror shown in many scenes.
    Wouldn't say it was Bale's best performance. The plot manages to stick on the main theme which is war, courage, sacrifice..

1. Reviewed by: Paul Bradshaw
    Jul 28, 2012
    Less about the thousands who died in the Nanking massacre than about how stunning it all looked, Zhang Yimou's epic puts Bale in the midst of a lavish nightmare.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Nilsen
    Mar 29, 2012
    The film is cinematically brilliant but morally obtuse.
  3. Reviewed by: Liam Lacey
    Feb 23, 2012
    While Bale speaks in an anachronistically modern American vernacular, the Chinese cast recite grammatically perfect, phonetic English so stilted you find yourself wishing the film would stick to subtitles. This is not so much a question of a story being lost in translation as a movie that never finds the right story to tell.