8.1

1. Feb 26, 2014
    I would never call this a perfect movie but it is very entertaining and what more could I ask for? A must watch for any horror and gore fan! They certainly don't make movies like this one anymore.
  2. Feb 19, 2014
    A tad bit fast paced but it's one of those films that you can't help but love. Goldblum was great and the make up/special effects are awesome and are far better than most special effects done today.
  3. May 31, 2013
    As with other Cronenberg ventures, "The Fly" is filthy and an appalling shockfest, but it's also an uncommonly affecting and sobering tragedy with a star-making performance from Jeff Goldblum.
  4. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. it's been awhile since I seen this film, I remember having real fond memories of it, and now I decided to watch it again after these years. I just saw it again and I still have good thoughts about it. I remember before I ever watched this move that I was scared to even watch this, but after years then of conquering my fear of this film I watched then. This is getting confusing. I think this is one of the most classic sci-fi films out there; note how I didn't say that it was the best though, and I just love this movie. The main reason why I love this movie is just how gross this movie is, usually that's a negative comment, but here's the exception. The performances in this are okay, Jeff is his usual Jeff self: always studering and making every scene as dramatic as possible. I can't even remember the other characters actually, only what they did. The effects are done well, and are even pretty good by today's standards. I like practical effects, even though at times you can clearly tell there fake, but that doesn't matter it shows just how hard people can work on these type of effects. I feel that the romantic storyline is somewhat odd in this grotesque piece of cinema, but at the end it just feels so right, and makes the fact that a man trying to become a advanced life form sympathetic. Maybe that was exaggerated a bit there. Overall, I really believe that this film is worth watching, just stomach through it and you won't forget it, literally. Collapse
  5. Oct 3, 2012
    Though it is not one of the best horror films, it is definitely one of the classics..........................
  6. Apr 15, 2012
    The atmosphere, the characters, the story, the music, the performances, the special effects. They all combine neatly into this perfect mixture of character story horror drama. Trully a masterpiece.
  7. Dec 7, 2011
    Can't believe I hadn't seen this before now. I understand why it is considered a classic, great acting, great story, great direction and a very gruesome monster.
  8. Jun 5, 2011
    One of my all time favorites from the 1980s horror cycle. A scientist's genes are mixed with that of a common house fly and soon he begins to transform into a giant half man, half fly creature. In the meantime he is helped through his deeply horrifying problem by his loving girlfriend. I love the effects, which still look realistic here in 2011 and the music is amazing and sounds more like an operatic piece than a horror soundtrack. All in all, I LOVE THIS FILM! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Pat Graham
    It's an interesting experiment Cronenberg's attempted, if ultimately in the wrong direction.
  2. Reviewed by: Caryn James
    A film that tries to be too many things at once - funny but not campy, sad and scary, a horror story and a human tragedy
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    A gross-your-eyes-out horror movie that is also the year's most poignant romance.