The Fountain

8.0

1. Jan 2, 2015
    Can be interpreted on many levels, or enjoyed superficially as just a 'film'. However, for many who watched it, the depth of it can not be felt immediately but rather reflect upon as one might do after a mystical dream, and even enjoy it even after The End.
  2. Sep 25, 2014
    Sometimes being intelligent is a problem, which Aronovsky found out when he released The Fountain. Because roughly half of all human beings are completely incapable of noticing allegory, or any other complex language activities for that matter, the movie was criticized up one side and down the other by an army of nincompoops. But they can be safely ignored as usual.

The Fountain is

The Fountain is presented as three separate alternating stories, with Hugh Jackman leading all three of them, and Rachel Weiss with him in two of them. The first is presumably in the present, where Jackman is a biologist who is trying to save his dying wife by experimenting on monkeys. The second is set in the 1500s, with Jackman as a conquistador looking for immortality on behalf of the Spanish queen, and this is actually the book Rachel Weiss`character is writing, a detail many people seem to have missed. And the third is a sort of astral allegory of life and death, and one of the weirdest damn things I`ve seen in a while. But really, all three are the same story, dealing with the same topic from three different angles. The second aspect of this triple allegory is that it is not just multiple angles on the subject of life and death but also represents different levels of reality. Because Weiss` fiction (The conquistador part.) is obviously less real than the present day narrative, the implication is that the astral part of the movie is more real than it. Or in other words that spiritual and conceptual reality is superior to physical reality, which again is superior to fiction. Read some Plato and then watch The Fountain again and you`ll understand this part of it.
    The result is a tad confusing at first, like time distortions and multiple levels of reality tend to be in movies. But a second viewing cleared most of it up for me.

The movie is otherwise wonderfully cast and directed, visually distinct and has some of the best music I`ve heard in any move. For much of the movie I was convinced that it had to have been made by Current 93 or perhaps Michael Cashmore, but as it turns out the man responsible is Clint Mansell, one time singer in pop Will Eat Itself and collaborator with Trent Reznor. All the complaining about this movie does for me is make me lose faith in humanity, or at least the intelligence of large portions of it. God forbid anyone should try and tackle a difficult subject in a movie, or to be so rude as to do it in a challenging way! Now where`s my twelfth Transformers movie in five years????
  3. Aug 31, 2014
    The Fountain is a visual tale, told by Darren Aronofsky in a typical, complex fashion. The art direction may be Oscar-rate; however, the film makes a few missteps along the way.
  4. Jul 24, 2014
    (german)
    (german)
    Ein wirklich einzigartiger Film, der trotz seiner enormen Hintergrundgeschichte noch Platz für Spekulation lässt. Erst beim vierten oder fünften mal ansehen hab ich den Film wirklich verstanden. Ich kann durchaus nachvollziehen, dass einige, die den Film nur einmal sehen oder sich nicht mit dieser gewaltigen Materie des Film befassen wollen ihn als verwirrend oder sogar schlecht empfinden. Allen Film Liebhabern dieser Welt lege ich ihn jedoch sehr an´s Herz, ich kenne nichts Vergleichbares im Medium Film.
  5. Mar 26, 2014
    Holy cow. I went into this one with the lowest possible expectations, but what I got in return was a moving story of accepting death, but just saying that does this film significant injustice. First off, the visual effects were jawdroppingly gorgeous. At times, I could not contain my awe and found myself almost moved to tears by these visuals. I simply cannot describe to you how gorgeousHoly cow. I went into this one with the lowest possible expectations, but what I got in return was a moving story of accepting death, but just saying that does this film significant injustice. First off, the visual effects were jawdroppingly gorgeous. At times, I could not contain my awe and found myself almost moved to tears by these visuals. I simply cannot describe to you how gorgeous this film is without having you sit down and watch it. The visuals alone make this a crowning achievement in cinema and undoubtedly a crowning achievement for Darren Aronofsky, who's vision for this film comes through load and clear and was a resounding success. Aside from the visuals, the soundtrack was absolutely sublime. Much like the visuals, it was beautiful, elegant, and breathtaking at every turn. Hugh Jackman turned in a phenomenal performance as well.

My main complaints surrounding this one surround the confusing nature of it. The nonlinear storytelling was great, but made for a confusing film as we bounced around between characters and then you had to try to find your footing again. However, that is simply me being petty. While it was hard to follow at times and made your brain explode at others, the story as well was quite moving and was really what helped to put the icing on the cake for me. While I think it could have been less compiicated, I am more content with the way it is currently. It is hard for me to understand the criticism aimed at this one. The way the story is presented also gives rise to a very good idea about the true nature of this film. Ultimately, there may just be one story in this one with it being directly tied to the other elements of this film.
  6. Feb 11, 2014
    This film is about dealing with the loss of someone you deeply love. Denying death, then finally accepting it. It is a lyric poem of fantastic and beautiful images; an atypical, yet exceptional film. I found it one of the most beautiful, touching, artistic movies I’ve seen in a long time. Metaphorical images are used frequently, and metaphorical story lines. I know many who areThis film is about dealing with the loss of someone you deeply love. Denying death, then finally accepting it. It is a lyric poem of fantastic and beautiful images; an atypical, yet exceptional film. I found it one of the most beautiful, touching, artistic movies I’ve seen in a long time. Metaphorical images are used frequently, and metaphorical story lines. I know many who are confused by this movie. I don’t know why; I experienced it as simple and straightforward. Perhaps it is because the theme is one that is intimately familiar to me and that is why it was immediately recognizable. I hope, through time, this film will receive the recognition it deserves.
    Finish it.
  7. Jan 20, 2014
    انسان و مساله‌ی بودن یا نبودن

انسان و مساله‌ی بودن یا نبودن

مرگ مهم‌ترین دغدغه‌ی ذهنی بشر از گذشته‌های دور تا به امروز به حساب می‌آید و همیشه با ترسی عظیم هم‌راه بوده. انسان از زمانی که موجودی مرگ‌آگاه شد همیشه به دنبال رهایی از چنگال این شبح عظیم بوده که در لحظه لحظه‌ی زندگی هم‌راه اوست و همین هم‌راهی همیشگی انسان را در تعلیقی ابدی نگاه می‌دارد. چیزی که این قدر به ما نزدیک است چرا باید موجب هراسمان شود چرا به آن عادت نمی‌کنیم؟ دلیلش ناشناخته بودن مرگ است. از بعدش هیچ نمی‌دانیم همین ما را می‌ترساند.
    البته وقتی درباره‌ی مرگ حرف می‌زنیم باید این را در نظر گرفت که خود مرگ مد نظر است یا پیامدهای آن (منظورم از پیامد؛ مواجه شدن‌مان با مرگ دیگران، خاصه عزیزان‌مان است).
    مرگ و زندگی ‍‍پیوسته در کانون آثار برجسته‌ی هنر و ادبیات جهان قرار داشته. شگفتی ندارد اگر نخستین کتابی که از تمدن‌های بزرگ باستانی به دست ما رسیده است، کتاب مردگان مصر و نخستین افسانه، افسانه گیل گمش بابلی باشد که در تلاش و تکاپو برای یافتن گیاه جوانی و زندگی جاودان بود، و کهن‌ترین هراس یا آرزویی که از انسان آن روزگاران شناخته‌ایم، هراس از مرگ و آرزوی نامیرایی باشد.
    در طول تاریخ؛ بشر مدام سعی بر آن داشته تا خود را از چنگال مرگ برهاند. گاه با مواجه نشدن با آن تا زمانی که از سایه درآید و رخ نشان دهد، گاه با نفی کردنش و باور به حیات پس از مرگ (بازتولد در اشکال مختلف)، و گاه این اواخر به کمک پیشرفت علم، مرگ را بیماری دانستن و این که هر بیماری درمان دارد به مبارزه با آن رفته. در تمامی این راه‌های مواجهه با مرگ که با یک‌دیگر متفاوت‌اند، یک چیز مشترک وجود دارد و آن هم عدم پذیرش مرگ (آن طور که هست یا حداقل نشان می‌دهد) و میل به جاودانگی است. البته در این بین بوده‌اند کسانی که دانسته‌اند از مرگ گریزی نیست اما از هراسش چرا.
    فیلم چشمه ساخته‌ی دارن آرنوفسکی فیلمی است درباره‌ی مواجهه با مرگ (البته من این طور دیدمش) هر چند که شاید به دلیل زمان کوتاه فیلم (برای چنین مساله‌ای) آن بخش پیامدهای مرگ (از دست دادن عزیز) بسیار پررنگ‌تر است.
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    This film is too clever for its own good, and came across forced and disjointed. In all honesty, I had no idea what was happening for the majority of this corny film, and it wasn't a pleasant lack of understanding (Mulholland Drive), but a lack of understanding that led me to question whether watching it was a good use of my time or not. Burstyn offered some class, and Aronofksy isThis film is too clever for its own good, and came across forced and disjointed. In all honesty, I had no idea what was happening for the majority of this corny film, and it wasn't a pleasant lack of understanding (Mulholland Drive), but a lack of understanding that led me to question whether watching it was a good use of my time or not. Burstyn offered some class, and Aronofksy is blatantly talented, but here he pushed it too far, and produced a contrived hour and a half of nonsense, worsened by Rachel Weisz's sheer dullness. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As should be apparent, I am taking a jump back in time to review The Fountain. This just so happens to be one of my all time favorite films. For some, it is a cult classic. Reviews were fairly mixed, and understandably so. The movie is certainly not for everyone, even though it features some well respected actors at their finest, most notably the famous Hugh Jackman who is most known for his work as Wolverine in various X-MEN films and spin-offs. Indeed, the allure of this film for me stands in it's philosophical disposition, imagery, music, and overall emotion. Aronofsky, who is well known for his films Pi, Requiem for a Dream, and Black Swan (with more on the way as we speak), takes a real artistic plunge with this work as he explores heavy existential themes. Death, life, and rebirth are all on display. The film itself unfolds at three periods of time juxtaposed with one another. Initially, it is complex if you are unfamiliar with more complex storytelling styles. Even more so because each character is played by the same actor. For instance, Jackman himself plays three characters in this film. One from the past during the Inquisition, one during the "present day" as a doctor of sorts, and one in the distant future as a yogi freely floating on a "space ship" heading towards total enlightenment and oneness with the universe, and perhaps more importantly, his love.

Read more on Hear the Indie: http://heartheindie.com/film-reviews/2013/11/15/darren-aronofsky-the-fountain-film-review
  10. Dec 13, 2013
    Just watched The Fountain and I loved the romantic part, mostly because I long for love like that. Anyway, I came to my own interpretation before reading other reviews and to make it short: The scientist struggled with immortality, esp after his love died. But through finishing the story I think he realized, by tapping into his spiritual side, that even though our physical bodies areJust watched The Fountain and I loved the romantic part, mostly because I long for love like that. Anyway, I came to my own interpretation before reading other reviews and to make it short: The scientist struggled with immortality, esp after his love died. But through finishing the story I think he realized, by tapping into his spiritual side, that even though our physical bodies are not immortal, we all have immortality in the way of our spirits. Planting the tree on her grave was a symbolic gesture, and a way to express his new realization in his human, physical, though ego driven, self. Expand
  11. Nov 16, 2013
    The Fountain is a touching experience, a film that expresses real love. From Director- Darren Aronofsky who directed marvels such as PI and Requiem For A Dream has outdone his limits in this film. Portraying Immortality and Greed for life in a way that you will have stuck in a disturbing way. Hugh Jackson did marvellous in the main role and Rachel Weitz was good as well. The film isThe Fountain is a touching experience, a film that expresses real love. From Director- Darren Aronofsky who directed marvels such as PI and Requiem For A Dream has outdone his limits in this film. Portraying Immortality and Greed for life in a way that you will have stuck in a disturbing way. Hugh Jackson did marvellous in the main role and Rachel Weitz was good as well. The film is visually brilliant, disturbing at times, touching and heartwarming. Also a slow mind bender at times but a must watch. Expand
  12. Oct 5, 2013
    I was so immersed and solemn throughout that it felt an hour longer than it really was. The subject matter concerned with the value of life and immortality. Three stories run in parallel and it takes real concentration and interest to understand what's going on. That may sound like it's hard to follow, but it isn't true. The first time I watched it like the teenager that I was. The secondI was so immersed and solemn throughout that it felt an hour longer than it really was. The subject matter concerned with the value of life and immortality. Three stories run in parallel and it takes real concentration and interest to understand what's going on. That may sound like it's hard to follow, but it isn't true. The first time I watched it like the teenager that I was. The second time I was twenty-five, and really in a position to appreciate the scope and complexity of the tale being told. The movie has divided critics and the audience into two factions, and some hate the movie for that alone. But I'm telling you, it takes multiple viewings for the message to sink in. Not because the director botched the job, but because he trusted his audience to arrive at the conclusion by themselves, without any help. And that, in my opinion, is how I'd rather a story would be told. It isn't often attempted because it's risky and who would want to do that when millions of dollars are at stake. This feat has made me respect Aronofsky more. The fact that the score is literally the best I have ever heard plays no small part in my conviction that this movie is one of the greatest movies ever made. When I read people spewing filth all over this film, I'm reaffirmed in my belief that true greatness is hard to fathom. It takes patience, an eye for detail, good intention, open mindedness and a warm heart. Expand
  13. Oct 1, 2013
    The storyline is decent and somehow interesting and philosophic. The visuals and the soundtrack both are outstanding. Hugh Jackman is great, he made a passionate and possessed character, but the most huge letdown for me was the role of Rachel Weisz, she is a real beauty indeed, but I didn't feel compassion to her character, I didn't care, her role was so bleak and shallow, though all theThe storyline is decent and somehow interesting and philosophic. The visuals and the soundtrack both are outstanding. Hugh Jackman is great, he made a passionate and possessed character, but the most huge letdown for me was the role of Rachel Weisz, she is a real beauty indeed, but I didn't feel compassion to her character, I didn't care, her role was so bleak and shallow, though all the plot was spinning around saving her life. Collapse
  14. Sep 5, 2013
    One of the most astounding films I have ever seen.

It ties together it's different story arcs in a sublime fashion. Seems to be about living wrong and dying right. The directing and cinematography is strong throughout and gorgeous at points. Good performances across the board. And as a free bonus it annoys religious people by implying that there is no real difference between
    One of the most astounding films I have ever seen.

It ties together it's different story arcs in a sublime fashion.

Seems to be about living wrong and dying right.

The directing and cinematography is strong throughout and gorgeous at points.

Good performances across the board.

And as a free bonus it annoys religious people by implying that there is no real difference between Catholics, Buddhists, and Mayans ^o^
  15. Jul 20, 2013
    Deep, romantic andDeep, romantic and mystic...........................................................great!................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Expand
  16. Apr 5, 2013
    The tree of life and the fountain of youth. The possibilities for themes and visuals are endless. Unfortunately Aronofsky chooses to bog us down in a melodrama with two characters that he never gives us a chance to connect with. This film is trying very hard to be complex but the story arc is simple. A doctor is trying to save his dying wife. She knows what he will not accept. The rest isThe tree of life and the fountain of youth. The possibilities for themes and visuals are endless. Unfortunately Aronofsky chooses to bog us down in a melodrama with two characters that he never gives us a chance to connect with. This film is trying very hard to be complex but the story arc is simple. A doctor is trying to save his dying wife. She knows what he will not accept. The rest is surreal visuals revolving around the afterlife.

All of this would be a great idea if there were characters involved that I cared about. My second issue with the Fountain is the visuals. For a film that is relying heavily on visuals they are pretty bland here. If there is a bright spot I think it is Jackman's performance. I don't think I have ever seen him convey emotion in such a believable way. The Fountain had some promise but in the end never delivers.
  17. Sep 29, 2012
    I have to admit this is the second time I
  18. May 17, 2012
    This movie is rather ostentatious in it's attempt to weave the stories of three lifetimes into one. some may consider it a hit, some may consider it a miss and some may see it only as one of "those" movies that requires "sensory enhancement" (*wink wink*)

still, a decent film to watch if you have the patience. it tells a rather deep story about the love of two soul mates and Hugh Jackman's performance is actually pretty good since he's able to convey subtlety at some points and mind-bending madness at another. some may say it's pretentious but i would suspect that they lost track because you do have to pay attention and people with short attention spans will likely hate it.
  19. Mar 25, 2012
    Aronofsky creates a metaphoric and meditative experience for his audience, but when he tries to create poetry, his results are more corny than they are compelling
  20. Mar 22, 2012
    Aronofsky's unique eye and Clint Mansell's near-perfect scoring highlight this bold film about mankind's eternal struggle with the concept of death. The three stories flow together seamlessly and help each other weave a tale that takes place over a thousand years. The Fountain will break your heart many times over before it's through and you won't ever forget it.
  21. Oct 9, 2011
    Easily one of the best films I've ever seen on so many levels. Visually alone it is incredible, but when you add in the story, themes, direction and character portrayal it just becomes magic. Aronofsky captures something incredible in his portrayal of 3 parallel story-lines about life, death, and love. It is a deep film and can be interpreted in many ways and is a treat to watch every time.
  22. Sep 29, 2011
    Ambitious and beautiful. That's all I can say. How one man love turns into his hatred towards death and search for immortality, and how once immortality is finally reached, man will long to die, and be with the one sent him off for the quest of immortality in the first place. Aronofsky shows great skill and ingenious by writing up this script. Also, the cinematography is stunning andAmbitious and beautiful. That's all I can say. How one man love turns into his hatred towards death and search for immortality, and how once immortality is finally reached, man will long to die, and be with the one sent him off for the quest of immortality in the first place. Aronofsky shows great skill and ingenious by writing up this script. Also, the cinematography is stunning and extremely well done even 5 years after the movie was filmed. Underrated and overly criticized. I think the ambitions of the movie are what made the critics expect something more, but what else they were expecting? Beats me. Great flick. Expand
  23. Aug 27, 2011
    Aronofsky is adventurous in ways that many filmmakers are not. He is able to be bold, grab an idea by the horns and take it where he wants to, and choosing to do so in the methods he sees as the most clear. The Fountain is a misfire on this concept. It is a film disconnected from any sort of root (which is odd, given that trees show up a lot in it), the audience or it's own story. It hasAronofsky is adventurous in ways that many filmmakers are not. He is able to be bold, grab an idea by the horns and take it where he wants to, and choosing to do so in the methods he sees as the most clear. The Fountain is a misfire on this concept. It is a film disconnected from any sort of root (which is odd, given that trees show up a lot in it), the audience or it's own story. It has all of its interests into itself, but never bothers to actually care for what it's trying to do, because it's too busy thinking. Can't it just stop to smell the roses. Kubrick could do that. Expand
  24. Jun 16, 2011
    Darren did an amazing job on this movie. I sincerely do not understand its low score, contrary to other movies like "Requiem for a dream" that get ridiculous good reviews. If you really enjoy movies and aren't a close-minded individual you should watch this movie, because you'll enjoy it.
  25. Mar 14, 2011
    This in up in my list of favorites one of the best films i have seen. It really explored life,death and love and something in-between. This film will leave you thinking for sure well worth watching.
  26. Feb 27, 2011
    Fantastic movie,simplified stories,great characterization,i literally can feel Jacks pain...beautiful movie,it just motivate for deeper thinking and trying to understand this life that we all live...
  27. Feb 16, 2011
    Like all Arofonsky movies, this is **** up too, but is very bad way. It is very boring, confusing and badly directed, story is bleak and too deep for most people. I am not suprised that this movie was box office flop..
  28. Jan 6, 2011
    There are no words to express what i felt after watching The Fountain, this movie is so beautiful in its own way it explores the man's greed for life and immortality. Excellently directed and perfectly acted movie. Aronofsky's a brilliant filmmaker Rachel Weisz is good Hugh Jackman gives a Bravura a career defining performance you can feel the pain of Jackman's Character :( . You should'ntThere are no words to express what i felt after watching The Fountain, this movie is so beautiful in its own way it explores the man's greed for life and immortality. Excellently directed and perfectly acted movie. Aronofsky's a brilliant filmmaker Rachel Weisz is good Hugh Jackman gives a Bravura a career defining performance you can feel the pain of Jackman's Character :( . You should'nt miss this. Beautiful just Beautiful!!! Expand
  29. Nov 8, 2010
    I thought The New World with Colin Farrell was the worst movie I would ever see in my life....then I saw this heap of steaming feces. If I could give it a negative score I would.
  30. Oct 19, 2010
    Rarely are a script, a screenplay and a score perfectly intertwined to produce a true cinematic masterpiece. The Fountain comes very close. A dark and surreal journey of unlimited hope in tragic circumstances. Genius.
  31. Sep 14, 2010
    This movie was absolutely beautiful. I just loved it so much. There's something fantastic about it, but it seems everyone doesn't get it based on some reviews I've read. I found The Fountain to be intense, emotional, touching and extraordinary. Like nothing I've seen before.
  32. Sep 14, 2010
    I love this movie. I saw it in the cinema, and I return to it pretty often. However, it should be said that its a very curious thing, owing to what RyanM write in his, admittedly insightful review, with which I agree, with two exceptions: I think Jackman is very good here, and I consider the fact that the film is a bunch of allegories, heavily metaphorical, and that the plot is notI love this movie. I saw it in the cinema, and I return to it pretty often. However, it should be said that its a very curious thing, owing to what RyanM write in his, admittedly insightful review, with which I agree, with two exceptions: I think Jackman is very good here, and I consider the fact that the film is a bunch of allegories, heavily metaphorical, and that the plot is not explicitly stated (one could even say that the drawing of the lines to the dots that this movie presents is left to the reader) a positive thing. Weisz is, as always, stunning, though I'm heavily biased here. The music is wonderful, and the soundtrack is one of my favourite ones. Expand
  33. Aug 29, 2010
    this movie is a clear work of genius it brings many ideas and concepts to the table and translates them with near perfect precision.
    Coupled with a unforgettable musical score, this movie made me cry and stare in wonder at the same time.
  34. Aug 23, 2010
    Living forever would be hell. Eternity claws at the heart of Aronofsky's temporally transcendent hero, Thomas. Hugh Jackman plays Thomas, but the character embodies director/writer Aronofsky's complex and insightful interpretation of what immortality means. Beyond humanity conquering time, this film tackles how ideas, and even feelings, can be inherently timeless. The Fountain courageouslyLiving forever would be hell. Eternity claws at the heart of Aronofsky's temporally transcendent hero, Thomas. Hugh Jackman plays Thomas, but the character embodies director/writer Aronofsky's complex and insightful interpretation of what immortality means. Beyond humanity conquering time, this film tackles how ideas, and even feelings, can be inherently timeless. The Fountain courageously examines what keeps us here and why we eventually need to go.

Aronofsky's ability as a director has been hailed with both Pi and Requiem for a Dream. The Fountain is unlike anything he has done before. He provokes audiences intellectually, spiritually and viscerally, but this time, with extra concern for plot and character dynamics. Like Fellini, putting his wife in his films compels a richer and more passionate creation. Weisz proves more enchanting in this sci-fi spirit quest than any other film to date. Instead of isolation and dependence, Aronofsky focuses on interconnectivity. A responsibility to his wife, new born, and devoted fans gives birth to a film that aspires to be something timeless itself. Aronofsky, more than anything, demonstrates how much he expects of himself.

Moving within the millennia spanning the films narrative are the souls of Thomas and Izzi. They are tied to each other and the tree of life. Uniquely positioned as the tie that binds them to the tree is love. In every period, Thomas scrambles to save Izzi in some way. Thomas exasperatingly challenges the life threatening circumstances Izzi faces. Battling Mayan warlords, cancerous tumors or traveling to Xibalba(The Place of Fear) are dwarfed by the life purpose Izzi instills in him. The limitations of love and devotion are reluctantly acknowledged, as Thomas becomes a slave to hope and memory.

The very essence of existence comes into play as fantasy is given as much legitimacy in the film as reality. The scenes from the Mayan period are melded together with the fiction Izzi is writing in present day. The line between truth and fiction disintegrates as the three stories continually intertwine. The motives of the characters are similar in each, but it takes the fantasy to provoke their destinies. Thomas's ultimate fate and acceptance of reality can only happen in surreal settings where anything is possible.

The Fountain delves into the ineffable headfirst. Infinite possibility lies at the heart of life and death. One answer is as valid or invalid as the next without a map key. The closest we come to understanding it all is when determining what it isn't. Aronofsky posits the question as the answer stylishly, uniquely and profoundly.
  35. UnImpressed
    Aug 29, 2009
    I'm loving the fact that there are so many reviews on here claiming to understand this film and dogging those who didn't. Interestingly enough, I don't think I read two of those reviews that agreed on what the film was about, or very many that attempted to explain it at all. I understand that many of those people and others will say that is the beauty of the film, that it I'm loving the fact that there are so many reviews on here claiming to understand this film and dogging those who didn't. Interestingly enough, I don't think I read two of those reviews that agreed on what the film was about, or very many that attempted to explain it at all. I understand that many of those people and others will say that is the beauty of the film, that it can mean so many things to so many different people. But when something 'can' mean so many things to so many people, then it ultimately means nothing, doesn't it? I'm an open minded individual and watched this film, first of all thinking it was going to be something else, but then to read how long it was and ask myself "It was ONLY 96 minutes long?" I don't know, I'm sure many people could have a hayday with my review, but when a film feels an hour longer than it actually is, and when it ultimately , in my humble opinion, means nothing, then it is not a masterpiece, but a garbled mess of something that can't be explained. But of course, I know I have a more analytical than creative mind, so take it for what you will. Expand
  36. RobS
    Aug 20, 2009
    Hands down, the most astonishing science fiction film of the past decade. Awesome on every level, and a sleeper destined to become a future classic. In 20 years from now, it will appear in lists of the greatest science fiction films ever made, if not in lists of the greatest films. Just as Bladerunner and 2001: A Space Odyssey do these days, despite both being widely ridiculed when they Hands down, the most astonishing science fiction film of the past decade. Awesome on every level, and a sleeper destined to become a future classic. In 20 years from now, it will appear in lists of the greatest science fiction films ever made, if not in lists of the greatest films. Just as Bladerunner and 2001: A Space Odyssey do these days, despite both being widely ridiculed when they were first released... Also features possibly the most beautiful soundtrack score ever, by Clint Mansell. Even those who didn't understand or like the film, pretty much acknowledge that the music is a rare masterpiece. Expand
  37. MichaelH
    Aug 19, 2009
    Death is the road to awe. Beautiful. An exceptional piece of emotive movie making. The visual effects take you to a different plane and it's breathtaking. Hugh Jackman outshines everyone in his role and truly reaches outt o his emotional and soft side. An amazing picture of love and the lasting hold it has on us.
  38. Alexandra
    Jun 10, 2009
    The fact that this movie got such dismal reviews is a testament to how emotionally and intellectually dead the general populace is. This movie doesn't follow the conventional formula that is palatable to the average viewer. History has demonstrated time and time again that masterpieces are rarely understood and appreciated at the time of their debut. The Fountain is one of those The fact that this movie got such dismal reviews is a testament to how emotionally and intellectually dead the general populace is. This movie doesn't follow the conventional formula that is palatable to the average viewer. History has demonstrated time and time again that masterpieces are rarely understood and appreciated at the time of their debut. The Fountain is one of those masterpieces. Only those viewers who are willing to take the poetic beauty of this film on its own merits will understand this movie's evocative emotional power. Aronofsky has created something rich and sensuous; the spectacular visuals, the incredible score, and the complex story overwhelmed me to such a degree that I sometimes had to remind myself to breathe. I can't get this movie out of my head, and that is a beautiful thing. Expand
  39. LaurieE
    Jun 2, 2009
    It isn't the destination, its the journey that is important. Similar to "Being Human" with Robin Williams; good way to broach difficult issues of life and death.
  40. killdarren
    May 8, 2009
    Darren Aronofsky...a director who holds his audience or anyone for that matter, at absolute contempt. His films do NOTHING but divide critics and audiences and this pretentious hack is laughing all the way to the bank. Enjoy!
  41. DarenB
    Jan 23, 2009
    Deepest movie I've ever seen, very philosophical.
  42. foutain
    Jan 16, 2009
    Nice movie to have ... met. It is hard for me to understand some of the critics. Many say The Fountain is complicated, but I see no point in discussing any lack of understanding in terms of a movie review -> Concerning this movie, understanding means feeling. If someone doesn't get it, well, you are human, are you? Be it possible there are inhumane critics. Be it possible many like Nice movie to have ... met. It is hard for me to understand some of the critics. Many say The Fountain is complicated, but I see no point in discussing any lack of understanding in terms of a movie review -> Concerning this movie, understanding means feeling. If someone doesn't get it, well, you are human, are you? Be it possible there are inhumane critics. Be it possible many like to pose simple questions in order to irritate people. Don't ban a movie for what it does with you because as long as it does affect you, it is useful. 3 levels of time - that a problem? I'd say: it's a must if you ever try to bring up a universal message - three at least. Good number. What else is remarkable: We surely don't need all the footage and top-secret background info, who cares? Art is which works! All you fans, be aware that strongly recommending to buy a ticket or dvd is the uttermost thing to do. Re-telling the whole happening looks like stuffing the internet. Back to the roots: I like the movie from a consumer's point-of-view for its deep passion. I appreciate it from a writer's point-of-view for a daring entreprise. I love it from a male romantic's point-of-view for its (somehow psychological) precision. I can easily recommend you to buy the thing, but I will add: Aside from other laudations spoken out over time, perhaps truly earned, I suggest you prepare for something different from what most people think how a movie should develop and towards something that allows you to let go and feel a specific meaning you always assumed to be ... out there. No, my name's not Darren. Keep whispering. *chuckle* Expand
  43. ChrisP.
    Dec 28, 2008
    This film has really hooked me, despite its flaws. Tommy and, especially, Izzy are too broadly drawn as characters: in the DVD commentary, Aronofsky admits he wanted them to be archetypes, so their love story lacks the little details and specificities that might have made it really emotionally vivid and put the film over the top for those critics who hated it for the complicated and This film has really hooked me, despite its flaws. Tommy and, especially, Izzy are too broadly drawn as characters: in the DVD commentary, Aronofsky admits he wanted them to be archetypes, so their love story lacks the little details and specificities that might have made it really emotionally vivid and put the film over the top for those critics who hated it for the complicated and ambiguous trio of timelines. Really the movie isn't about Tommy and Izzy, but about Tommy and his own denial of death; Izzy's mortality is just a vehicle for Tom to confront his own. So it's another movie in which the female lead is basically a masculine projection, and that maybe is its real flaw. But Tommy's journey through grief to ... well, you'll see ... is still moving for me. And, yes, it might be because of the soundtrack, which works for this film as no soundtrack ever has before, tying together the three separate timelines into one emotional arc. It's also visually gorgeous; during production the planned use of computer graphics had to be scrapped for macrophotography for budgetary reasons, and thank god, because the results are beautiful and unlike anything else I've seen on film. Overall, even though I could't put the pieces together logically as I was watching it, I found that there was an emotional logic to the film that was deeply satisfying. Although I like to analyze the heck out of films, this is one that really does work well if you just let it wash over you. Expand
  44. ArturoL.
    Dec 7, 2008
    It´s pure poetry and beauty. Probably you won´t understand ALL the movie, but you will feel it.
  45. ND
    Nov 28, 2008
    Anything that Hollywood turns out which makes you think, feel, and learn all at the same time is bound to get terrible reviews from all the famous tunnel-visioned critics. It's beautiful, audacious, and every time you watch it, you come away with something new. There's not a raiting for that.
  46. TroelsS.
    Oct 19, 2008
    I have got to say, that the music is the reason why I really like this movie. Yeah, the film itself is different and pretty (and I respect the director and writer of The Fountain, cause it's so easy to follow - a film like this can easily lose focus), but especially the music supports the scenes in a perfect way. Clint Mansell might be the one of the best filmsoundtrack-makers of the I have got to say, that the music is the reason why I really like this movie. Yeah, the film itself is different and pretty (and I respect the director and writer of The Fountain, cause it's so easy to follow - a film like this can easily lose focus), but especially the music supports the scenes in a perfect way. Clint Mansell might be the one of the best filmsoundtrack-makers of the decade. But I'm not saying the movie would be bad without the great soundtrack, cause it's a really touching movie, which deserves better grade by critics. Expand
  47. ArlisS.
    Sep 30, 2008
    Beautiful, so many things go through my mind when trying to understand it, that it teaches me along the way. I'd love to see more movies like this one, rather than the brainwashing bullshit we see everywhere else.
  48. DavidM.
    Sep 28, 2008
    Completely polarizing - and I certainly know why. But, beautiful, intelligent and nothing but ambitious from start to finish. Remember folks, this is "science fiction"...it's not a documentary, it's "science fiction". Clint Mansell's soundtrack is one of the most amazing pieces of music ever composed.
  49. pg
    Sep 10, 2008
    It is a little like trying to explain why you like your favorite food. This happens to be the kind of film that is my "favorite food." I don't understand the viciously hostile reviews by some critics of this movie other than to suspect that some folks haven't gotten over the whole "Mom made me eat my vegetables" thing. Hey, I used to hate onions and now I love them. I have It is a little like trying to explain why you like your favorite food. This happens to be the kind of film that is my "favorite food." I don't understand the viciously hostile reviews by some critics of this movie other than to suspect that some folks haven't gotten over the whole "Mom made me eat my vegetables" thing. Hey, I used to hate onions and now I love them. I have watched this film many times and I love it! The movie is not hard to understand unless you say so (because it can be understood however you want to relate to it). It is not trivial or contrived unless you say so (if you think you're having a bad day - you probably are). It is definately not as good as Picasso painting a portrait of Shakespeare while humming a Beatles tune, but then again...that never happened anyways (that I know of). Best served with wine and chocolate, and a loved one (preferably warm, not a plant, and still in this current plane of existence) There -- that's a sufficiently symbol-laden, mini-review in keeping with this movie's style. Expand
  50. RobertZ.
    Aug 24, 2008
    You truly have to be open minded to comprehend this movie. I have watched this masterpiece about 4 to 5 times and every time I watched it I would discover new ideas, metaphors, symbolisms, realizing more and more clearly what message the director is trying to convey. This aspect alone points to the artistry of the movie. Music of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin works precisely the same You truly have to be open minded to comprehend this movie. I have watched this masterpiece about 4 to 5 times and every time I watched it I would discover new ideas, metaphors, symbolisms, realizing more and more clearly what message the director is trying to convey. This aspect alone points to the artistry of the movie. Music of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin works precisely the same way. This masterpieces of music grow on us over the years and every time we comeback to them with new experiences we discover something new in them. Thats what makes piece of art work timeless. On the top of this Aranovsky is a visual artist his movie is a visual Odyssey that adds to the viewers imaginative delight and conveyance of the essence of the movie. One examples: the ring that gets lost, when his wife collapses and he walks in circle waiting, to the glass sphere he is traveling in, to the tattooed lines on his body that circle around like the trees rings, to finally the the being that enters the (cicrcle) the sphere of light to finish the journey. This are all symbolic representations of reincarnation and repetitive events of our lives that just manifest themselves in different transmutations. In addition this movie is a rare gem because of the topic the director chose. Most of movies now a day focus on violence and the dark side of the human nature and even the so called good characters have very little good in them. Here Aranovsky portrays many faucets of human nature but the strongest highlight is the human spirit the soul of the human being. Its about our highest possible expression, transcending our physical illusion that are so real to us and entering our final stage of enlightenment that sheds the mortal suffering because of the realization of the highest truth about our true nature. In my book Aranovsky is one of the best and most brilliant movie directors alive. I have seen all his movies and when I went to see the fountain it was because of his earlier movies that I saw. With every movie he created his artistic expression is truly transcending to new heights. Mr. Aranovsky please keep creating and delighting your audience. Cheers. Expand
  51. DanielH.
    Jul 27, 2008
    Wow! Incredible film, really. The more I attempt to analyze it, the more I am reminded that this is a love fantasy. It is like a 10th century French poem depicting chivalry and mortality. Beautiful.
  52. CH
    Jun 26, 2008
    This is the most underrated movie in the past 10 years. The true star of this film is not the actors, but Aronofsky. From his brilliant script to the absolutely stunning visuals (who else would've thought of using chemical reactions as the backdrop?), Aronofsky's brilliance in this movie constantly shines through. It is an absolutely amazing film. I'm disappointed that more This is the most underrated movie in the past 10 years. The true star of this film is not the actors, but Aronofsky. From his brilliant script to the absolutely stunning visuals (who else would've thought of using chemical reactions as the backdrop?), Aronofsky's brilliance in this movie constantly shines through. It is an absolutely amazing film. I'm disappointed that more critics, and laypeople, alike did not understand Aronofsky's vision for this film. Expand
  53. RichardK.
    May 28, 2008
    Yes, it may be visually intriguing, but with a main character that shows no true depth or connection to anything around him, I found this movie equally difficult to connect to.
  54. BertS.
    May 22, 2008
    A sensory masterpiece intertwined with deeply emotional storylines (esp. if u ever spent time with a loved one with cancer) with an overall sci-fi fantasy blanket. Wayyyyy too ambitious but if you're in the right mood - it will take you somewhere special.
  55. RR
    May 3, 2008
    The Fountain is a spiritual film that eschews most trappings of what people expect of a movie these days. If you're looking for easy-to-chew-n-digest fluff, you won't find it here. If you have an open mind, you should be prepared for a beautiful and moving work of art that features two actors at the top of their form. The central theme is transcendence, and although the film The Fountain is a spiritual film that eschews most trappings of what people expect of a movie these days. If you're looking for easy-to-chew-n-digest fluff, you won't find it here. If you have an open mind, you should be prepared for a beautiful and moving work of art that features two actors at the top of their form. The central theme is transcendence, and although the film plays with three time periods, representing superstition, science, and spirituality as a symbol of mankind's progression (in a hopeful, Nitzschean sense), it is not bound to that kind of structure. Ultimately, it transcends space and time to remind us of why we are who we are: because of our undying souls. The symbolism may be Buddhist in nature, but the films' essence is as timeless and non-religious as one can hope for. To all you critics: I sympathize. You have a lot of work to do, and to encounter a film that leaves you scratching your heads must be frustrating as hell. But don't pan something just because you don't understand it. Expand
  56. PhilR.
    Apr 19, 2008
    A truly amazing film like no other. I admire the directors effort, but I feel his one failing was not fleshing out the two main characters and their love for each other. Had he done this the viewers would have been able to identify more with the underlying story of love and how it relates to death. Anyhow a movie that need multiple viewings to understand. And one of the most incredible A truly amazing film like no other. I admire the directors effort, but I feel his one failing was not fleshing out the two main characters and their love for each other. Had he done this the viewers would have been able to identify more with the underlying story of love and how it relates to death. Anyhow a movie that need multiple viewings to understand. And one of the most incredible scenes in recent memory. The part where Tomas drinks from the tree of life. Mind blowing imagery and allegory in an unforgettable climax. It is hard to believe the film was shot on such a low budget. Expand
  57. JohnP.
    Apr 18, 2008
    I am tired of reading critics mentioning time travel in their reviews of this movie. After watching this movie, I have to say that I was captivated throughout, not only by the visuals and ideas presented, but also by how the majority of viewers failed to see the simplicity of the story. The main character is rooted in the present. The flashbacks to the past are only the primary characters I am tired of reading critics mentioning time travel in their reviews of this movie. After watching this movie, I have to say that I was captivated throughout, not only by the visuals and ideas presented, but also by how the majority of viewers failed to see the simplicity of the story. The main character is rooted in the present. The flashbacks to the past are only the primary characters readings of his wife's novel and his attempt to complete the novel's ending is the flash forwards to the future, in which he expresses his desire to reach to the heavens to fulfill his love. Time travel, immortality... not sure why people are fixated on those themes as there is no indication that the flashbacks and flashforwards are anything more than figments of the primary characters dreams, readings and aspirations for his love (all btw happening in the present). Oh well... nuff said. Eat that Ebert ! Expand
  58. JesseS.
    Apr 10, 2008
    Awesome. One of those movies you can watch over & over again, or, like the director says, solve differently a la rubik's cubism.
  59. EthanK.
    Mar 29, 2008
    You have to be a very open minded person to truly enjoy this film. This movie truly demonstrates that you don't have to introduce a character to know who he is. I don't know how many movies I've seen that starts out like,"hi, my name is..." the plot is very simple to tell the truth, its about a man in a struggle to come to terms with death, not just his wife but himself as You have to be a very open minded person to truly enjoy this film. This movie truly demonstrates that you don't have to introduce a character to know who he is. I don't know how many movies I've seen that starts out like,"hi, my name is..." the plot is very simple to tell the truth, its about a man in a struggle to come to terms with death, not just his wife but himself as well. This movie is indeed very hard to put into words. I can understand that a person may not like this film, no movie is loved by everyone. But I don't think that gives them the right to make biased opinions to a very under appreciated work of art, that they don't even understand in the first place. They could have simply said in the review,"I didn't understand the movie and cant make a comment." Expand
  60. JustinB.
    Mar 18, 2008
    This is truly one of the most beautiful movies made in recent years. The story is amazing, with a message as deep and meaningful and one can be. Great movie.
  61. ThomasK.
    Mar 17, 2008
    For those of you who cast aside this work of art as nothing more than a pretentious 'art flick', you are sadly mistaken. It is personal to the core. Through the tellings of the three personae of past, future, and present, this movie brings to life the core essence of humanity and life itself. The pretentious ones are those who begrudge this film for the fact that what may seem a For those of you who cast aside this work of art as nothing more than a pretentious 'art flick', you are sadly mistaken. It is personal to the core. Through the tellings of the three personae of past, future, and present, this movie brings to life the core essence of humanity and life itself. The pretentious ones are those who begrudge this film for the fact that what may seem a simple axiom to them was elaborated over the course of a 90-some odd minutes. The impact of this movie is not what could be summarized of this movie in a few words, but rather the journey the protagonists take throughout the course of it, as well as the visually stunning way the movie was brought together from end-to-beginning. This movie is only frustrating for those who become impatient watching water boil. For others, it expresses a true experience into the indomitable cycle of life. Those who say otherwise are the pretentious ones. Expand
  62. RodrigoM.
    Mar 16, 2008
    this is a movie just for some kind of persons that really knows the truth, the real nature in this world, its amazing this movie it change my life and my destiny i know what to do know in my life.
  63. SamN.
    Mar 8, 2008
    Like this year's Sunshine, The Fountain is a near perfect collaboration of performances, visuals, plot, and music. I'm surprised by some of the comments on here; it's not a very hard film to get. Jackman's performance is severely underappreciated, and easily deserved an Oscar nomination. The most underrated movie of 2006.
  64. ScottG
    Mar 1, 2008
    One of the worst movies in the history of bad moviemaking. No genuine important ideas were examined, no sense was made of a senseless storyline, and it was just plain silly.
  65. Christian
    Feb 19, 2008
    for those that don't know this is actually more than just a chick flick for those that have done there studying it is actually a more religious then a love story. there is an actual story in the bible about the tree of life.
  66. JimS.
    Feb 18, 2008
    I look forward to one day seeing the complete, uncut film.
  67. JustinG
    Feb 1, 2008
    The Fountain is a 'love-it-or-hate-it' sort of film. It has only one undeniable quality: it's beautiful. Color and texture come together beautifully; the dark, rainy Mayan jungle, the snow-covered fields of modern America, and the Orion Nebula's golden nuclear rain are breathtaking to behold, especially in HD. Unfortunately the film tries to answer questions that some The Fountain is a 'love-it-or-hate-it' sort of film. It has only one undeniable quality: it's beautiful. Color and texture come together beautifully; the dark, rainy Mayan jungle, the snow-covered fields of modern America, and the Orion Nebula's golden nuclear rain are breathtaking to behold, especially in HD. Unfortunately the film tries to answer questions that some people go to church for, so those with strongly-held beliefs about the nature of life, death, and God might end the film feeling confused, threatened, even offended. Those of us who, like Aranofsky, are looking to reconcile the illusory conflicts between science and spirituality will likely find it an intensely rewarding experience. Expand
  68. RoryP.
    Dec 29, 2007
    I agree with Ryan D. a frustrating experience to watch. To anyone who is contemplating seeing this film, please heed the following advice - With respect to all things artistic and lacking bullsh*t, do not watch this film, it would be a laborious waste of your valuable time. Trust me on this, such a critique is not down to the stroppy interpretation of one mere mortal long since out of I agree with Ryan D. a frustrating experience to watch. To anyone who is contemplating seeing this film, please heed the following advice - With respect to all things artistic and lacking bullsh*t, do not watch this film, it would be a laborious waste of your valuable time. Trust me on this, such a critique is not down to the stroppy interpretation of one mere mortal long since out of college, this is not about me making a point for the sake of coming across as superior or smart-every ounce of sanity in my body tells me It is a bad film: Lending any connotations of pretension to The Fountain would be doing it a favour-Its got nothing to say about life that couldn't be said in five minutes in the same sloppy format-its got nothing to say about life that hasn't been said better in other vastly superior films (i don't know, badlands or the thin red line by Terrence Malick for example). To anyone who likes this film, i apologize for saying what i am about to say because i am sure you are a intelligent sensitive and loving person who has done nothing malicious enough to deserve such a harsh appraisal of your sense of self, but seriously, YOU ARE DELUDED. Expand
  69. KeithJ
    Nov 3, 2007
    I think this movie might be better on a second viewing. I enjoy complex movies (my recent favorite is Pan's Labyrinth, for example); however, as I watched The Fountain, I really had little idea what was "real" (in the movie's logic) and what wasn't. There are three storylines. There is a bizarre and fantastic one set in the past; then, we are transported to a bizarre and I think this movie might be better on a second viewing. I enjoy complex movies (my recent favorite is Pan's Labyrinth, for example); however, as I watched The Fountain, I really had little idea what was "real" (in the movie's logic) and what wasn't. There are three storylines. There is a bizarre and fantastic one set in the past; then, we are transported to a bizarre and fantastic one in (I guess?) the distant future; then, we segue to a relatively normal one in approximately the present day. In retrospect, I think the present and future realities were "real", and the one set in the past was fiction/metaphor. However, as you go through the movie, if nobody tells you that, you have no firm ground to stand on; you spend your time trying to decipher the basics, not appreciating whatever truths it is trying to convey. I am tempted to rent the movie and watch it again, because I think I'd enjoy it more knowing what I know now. However, I feel compelled to give it a fairly low mark anyway, because I think it's a flaw of the movie that the viewer has to waste so much mental energy on unimportant things (which part is "real") that it takes away from the rest. Expand
  70. RyanD.
    Sep 8, 2007
    This film is like a cheerleader. Very pretty, but very dumb.
  71. NickA.
    Aug 20, 2007
    Darren Aronofsky, through his long and tedious struggle to bring his most cherished script to the screen, had accumulated some serious hype around what would eventually become 'The Fountain.' Just under seven years from its conception in the mind of the film
  72. NaniFaye
    Aug 18, 2007
    This movie involves some of my most favorite themes and interests - the tree of life, the Mayans, scientists, new medicines discovered from plants in the rainforest, books, the acceptance of death, the fight against death, hope, peace, and space travel. One of the primary dynamics in the movie is the contrast between the man who is spending all his time and energy trying to find a way to This movie involves some of my most favorite themes and interests - the tree of life, the Mayans, scientists, new medicines discovered from plants in the rainforest, books, the acceptance of death, the fight against death, hope, peace, and space travel. One of the primary dynamics in the movie is the contrast between the man who is spending all his time and energy trying to find a way to keep the woman alive. One wonders if perhaps his time was better spent by spending time with her, listening to her, loving her, and just being with her in her final days. To me that is the crux of the movie, and I felt it deeply - her acceptance of death, and his fight against it (and essentially against her in a way). I have not stopped thinking about this movie since I watched it, and I absolutely love it. For me, and I understand for many others, it is the epitome of beauty and depth. And yes, in the end some things didn't add up, and the "lotus position" was hokey for sure - meditation does not involve any physical posture, it is an inner state of being (but how to show that visually? Then again, the first time I watched the movie, I thought the space bubble was in fact the man's inner state of being, portrayed visually, and was a not a "real" place but a representation of what was in his head...who knows...). But the heart was there and the intentions were good, even if the portrayal of the themes was not perfect - but who has done this and these themes before any better? I must say also though that my own life experiences and background and interests had a profound effect on the way I received this movie. So many of the visuals, the themes, and the ideas are so embedded in me that if the movie were based on some other visuals and themes, I might not have really liked it at all. (Botany, Medicine, Anthropology, Space Travel, Meditation, and the death of a Beloved). Expand
  73. Crystal
    Jul 30, 2007
    How do you explain let alone film someone's conscious experience? This film was excellent in that it attempted to provide visuals for the metaphysical experiences attached to loving, dying, and the character's own internal struggle. He never time traveled, the "time travel" sequences were a type of literary or visual tool to show the viewer how the character understood his role How do you explain let alone film someone's conscious experience? This film was excellent in that it attempted to provide visuals for the metaphysical experiences attached to loving, dying, and the character's own internal struggle. He never time traveled, the "time travel" sequences were a type of literary or visual tool to show the viewer how the character understood his role toward his wife's condition. Excellent and at times overbearingly touching. Expand
  74. NIN
    Jul 24, 2007
    I give it a 6 for making me feel like I had some barbiturates. The concept is amazing but unfortunately it was not captured in the film. It would have been a better film if they stuck and focused on one lifetime. I bet Hugh Jackman himself didn't know what his own film was about. It was crazy, a big mess and a definite waste of time. I could definitely live without watching this film I give it a 6 for making me feel like I had some barbiturates. The concept is amazing but unfortunately it was not captured in the film. It would have been a better film if they stuck and focused on one lifetime. I bet Hugh Jackman himself didn't know what his own film was about. It was crazy, a big mess and a definite waste of time. I could definitely live without watching this film in my lifetime. Expand
  75. nwbronco
    Jul 21, 2007
    The only reason that I did not vote zero was the cg effects. E for effort. Aside from that, what do you get when you mix a little bit of opium, death fantasies, astronomy, eastern religion and no hope?? Anyone? You get 96 minutes of your precious life ROBBED from you! Don't bother. Anyone with Judeo-Christian beliefs may get irritated at the ending. That is all.
  76. kal
    Jul 15, 2007
    Awesome, what movie making should always be about. A breath of fresh air from the generalized Hollywood empty headed easy to follow simpleton movies. If you think Die Hard or Rambo are good films then don't bother with this. If you are a free thinker and crave artistic expression at its finest then this a film for you. I get the impression the bad reviews are from people who A: Awesome, what movie making should always be about. A breath of fresh air from the generalized Hollywood empty headed easy to follow simpleton movies. If you think Die Hard or Rambo are good films then don't bother with this. If you are a free thinker and crave artistic expression at its finest then this a film for you. I get the impression the bad reviews are from people who A: don't understand it or B: are not the type to think beyond the mundane. Expand
  77. NikolaK.
    Jul 7, 2007
    Great movie.
  78. TedL.
    Jul 4, 2007
    I'm truly amazed at how many reviewers COMPLETELY missed the boat on this one. Honest, heartfelt, mesmerizing, heartbreaking and WELL ahead of it's time, THE FOUNTAIN will undoubtedly be looked upon in twenty years time as one of the best films of the early 21st century. Man. Open your minds, people.
  79. JeremyS.
    Jun 30, 2007
    One of the most powerful films I've ever seen. Please don't hate it if you do not understand it. Give it a chance. Try it again. Listen to Ellen Burstyn's speech in the scene in the snow; it as well as Jackman's obvious revelation toward the end of the film are the movie's seminal moments and nicely sum up its themes. This film isn't merely a love story, One of the most powerful films I've ever seen. Please don't hate it if you do not understand it. Give it a chance. Try it again. Listen to Ellen Burstyn's speech in the scene in the snow; it as well as Jackman's obvious revelation toward the end of the film are the movie's seminal moments and nicely sum up its themes. This film isn't merely a love story, it's a story about death, love, peace, and facing mortality. It's about living well and dying with a measure of grace. Expand
  80. JeremyB
    Jun 30, 2007
    This movie touched me. It may not have touched other's but just as any work of art - some may understand and some may not. It's really just a matter of personal preference and style. I can see why some of you folks think it was a bad movie in some ways. For me it was amazing. I will also say it bears being watched multiple times in order to fully grasp the imagery and plot to This movie touched me. It may not have touched other's but just as any work of art - some may understand and some may not. It's really just a matter of personal preference and style. I can see why some of you folks think it was a bad movie in some ways. For me it was amazing. I will also say it bears being watched multiple times in order to fully grasp the imagery and plot to the best degree. I enjoy movies that you need to and want to watch more than once to understand. I gave it a 10 because it is my new favorite movie and will be for a while until something else comes along...and with so many of the movies in the past years being just the opposite (shallow, uninteresting and overdone) it may be some time. Expand
  81. roxwordroxword
    Jun 29, 2007
    Sometimes I'm amazed by all the closed down minds on this planet. this film is a love song, a deep tone poem about mortality, heart, soul and science and their relationships to each other. perhaps that's too much for the average viewer to absorb, but this viewer could have watched another 2 or 3 more hours of this. I'll probably end up buying it and screening it over andSometimes I'm amazed by all the closed down minds on this planet. this film is a love song, a deep tone poem about mortality, heart, soul and science and their relationships to each other. perhaps that's too much for the average viewer to absorb, but this viewer could have watched another 2 or 3 more hours of this. I'll probably end up buying it and screening it over and over and then I'll wish I had given "the fountain" a ten. don't miss it. Expand
  82. AnnR.
    Jun 29, 2007
    I'm usually intrigued by time travel movies, which is why I purchased this DVD, but The Fountain was simply awful. I think the producer was on drugs, it just didn't make any sense. Worse 20 bucks ever spent!
  83. MonicaSF
    Jun 28, 2007
    This was the worst film I've seen in long time. Can't believe two of my fav. actors (Jackman & Weisz) and the director of Pi & Requiem for a Dream (I absolutely loved both movies) could make such a BORING film! I hate MTV and fast paced modern visuals, but this movie sucks big time!!!! The story set in the future is meant to be a space ship!? Give me a break! And I'm the This was the worst film I've seen in long time. Can't believe two of my fav. actors (Jackman & Weisz) and the director of Pi & Requiem for a Dream (I absolutely loved both movies) could make such a BORING film! I hate MTV and fast paced modern visuals, but this movie sucks big time!!!! The story set in the future is meant to be a space ship!? Give me a break! And I'm the sort of person that never leaves a movie theatre or stops reading a book half way through. I'm so upset for the time wasted on this.... grrr. Expand
  84. WilliamB.
    Jun 27, 2007
    It was a complete mess, not engaging at all, and there was no chemistry between Jackman and Weisz.
  85. MatthewF.
    Jun 17, 2007
    While it seems like a rather illogical, incoherent, and too smart to grasp film, Darren Aronofsky
  86. HIramG.
    Jun 11, 2007
    Director added too many things that takes you out of the main theme of the movie.
  87. AnonymousSeattle
    Jun 3, 2007
    Although visually stunning and stylistically beautiful, this was a terrible film. It was the kind of movie that "looks really good" and then has no plot, cheesy and insincere feeling characters, and goes absolutely nowhere. And I'm not one to usually need a lot of plot or action to be enthralled. This was deeply disappointing- it seemed more like an art project than a film.
  88. Ryan
    Jun 3, 2007
    I think the director was trying to send a heartfelt message about love and life, and that those touched by it would enjoy this film, and that's why I give it a 10, it's a matter of opinion, you don't have to be so uptight mr. "Anonymous H".
  89. RyanM
    Jun 2, 2007
    Darren Aronofsky
  90. IanP
    May 31, 2007
    Unquestionably a bad film, despite its visual splendor. Not bad in a way you can sink your teeth into, bad for its incredibly vague, cloyingly sentimental, new agey, breathtakingly empty, pseudo-philosophical jibber jabber. Bad in a way that makes me suspect that the people who made it don't really know the difference between a powerful statement about life and death (however Unquestionably a bad film, despite its visual splendor. Not bad in a way you can sink your teeth into, bad for its incredibly vague, cloyingly sentimental, new agey, breathtakingly empty, pseudo-philosophical jibber jabber. Bad in a way that makes me suspect that the people who made it don't really know the difference between a powerful statement about life and death (however ambiguous: that is NOT the issue here) and a conglomeration of impressive images hung together on the feeblest and most pretentious of threads. Which would make this a horrof film, of sorts, but emblematic of an age that will doubtless be remembered above all for its sheer vacuity. Expand
  91. AnonymousH
    May 29, 2007
    Jimmy stop giving 10's to movies just because they are original. If you really like a movie give it a 9, especially if you admit there is argument for flaws. It's people like you that rate movies 10's or 0's that give objective criticism a bad name. The movie is good and original. Not perfect. Check it out.
  92. JImmyH
    May 27, 2007
    Terrific film! It's magical, hypnotic, breathtaking. I was left confused yet intrigued and wanting to find out more and search. It's hard for me to understand why so many critics are panning this movie. I mean, with movies like "Spiderman 3" scoring better on Metacritic than "The Fountain" I am left scratching my head. Do the critics hold Arnofsky to a different standard? My Terrific film! It's magical, hypnotic, breathtaking. I was left confused yet intrigued and wanting to find out more and search. It's hard for me to understand why so many critics are panning this movie. I mean, with movies like "Spiderman 3" scoring better on Metacritic than "The Fountain" I am left scratching my head. Do the critics hold Arnofsky to a different standard? My opinion is that with all of the trash that is heaped into theaters these days, we should appreciate when a movie like this comes along. Some may find it flawed, I don't doubt. But should we not give credit where it's due? Anyway, I thought it was a true work of art and will watch it repeatedly. Expand
  93. JoeAverage
    May 26, 2007
    It's too bad Aronofsky deals in pretty images (thematic and visual), rather than develop his arguments (yes Darren, I have questions on Immortality, Life and True Love as well, but what's your take?) At least in Pi, he attempted to tackle his subject matter straight on. It's all a lovely trip to soak in though. Although, all the lotus position stuff does look rather stupid It's too bad Aronofsky deals in pretty images (thematic and visual), rather than develop his arguments (yes Darren, I have questions on Immortality, Life and True Love as well, but what's your take?) At least in Pi, he attempted to tackle his subject matter straight on. It's all a lovely trip to soak in though. Although, all the lotus position stuff does look rather stupid and out-of-place. Expand
  94. AndersL.
    May 21, 2007
    A minor masterpiece. Bears repeated viewings. The soundtrack is also gorgeous.
  95. JohnB.
    May 18, 2007
    Movies this deep don't deserve to be seen by people who don't wish to better understand it and what it stands for. This movie is really something to wrap your head around and it even leaves enough room for imagination left for the viewer. The visuals in the Fountain are an absolutely stunning work of art. Now I could easily call this movie pretentious yet at the same time Movies this deep don't deserve to be seen by people who don't wish to better understand it and what it stands for. This movie is really something to wrap your head around and it even leaves enough room for imagination left for the viewer. The visuals in the Fountain are an absolutely stunning work of art. Now I could easily call this movie pretentious yet at the same time without that pretense, there wouldn't be much to see here. My only complaints of the Fountain were the excessive amounts of scene changes which I felt were not properly executed, and the poor script that neither worked for the characters or for the audience. Those mistakes alone take this down a notch from being truly exceptional but a movie of this magnitude deserves to be seen provided you are willing to go into it with an open mind. Expand
  96. SeanD.
    May 18, 2007
    Every time I watch an Aranofsky movie, it is a life-changing experience. There's something about his style of writing and filming that is extremely memorable. Even with it's focus on death, I left this movie extremely uplifted. I can't get it's visuals out of my mind & can't wait to watch it again. Not many movies these days challenge thought and ideas. I Every time I watch an Aranofsky movie, it is a life-changing experience. There's something about his style of writing and filming that is extremely memorable. Even with it's focus on death, I left this movie extremely uplifted. I can't get it's visuals out of my mind & can't wait to watch it again. Not many movies these days challenge thought and ideas. I can't believe the critics pounded this one. A memorable, beautiful movie, but I guess it's not for everyone. Expand
  97. EricC.
    May 16, 2007
    The bad reviews are suprising, since critics were suckers for Aranofsky's first two films, also complex and surreal. Shockingly beautiful, and yeah, occasionally confusing as all hell, but doesn't deserve the brutal reviews. How can you praise someone for doing something twice before, and then try to punish him when he does it again with even more grace and skill? Mark F is The bad reviews are suprising, since critics were suckers for Aranofsky's first two films, also complex and surreal. Shockingly beautiful, and yeah, occasionally confusing as all hell, but doesn't deserve the brutal reviews. How can you praise someone for doing something twice before, and then try to punish him when he does it again with even more grace and skill? Mark F is right. It doesn't topple 2001 as the deffinitive mind-bending sci-fi epic. But if you give it a chance, it'll come pretty close. Just don't overthink it. Expand
  98. MarkF.
    May 15, 2007
    First off, my rating is VERY generous. Even if Aranofsky is considered a visionary, this is one of the darkest, most downbeat, isimplistic, yet incoherent messes of a "film" I've seen recently. I've heard from several college age students that this is this generation's "2001". Well, if this is true, that's even more pathetic than this film is. I will admit that I only First off, my rating is VERY generous. Even if Aranofsky is considered a visionary, this is one of the darkest, most downbeat, isimplistic, yet incoherent messes of a "film" I've seen recently. I've heard from several college age students that this is this generation's "2001". Well, if this is true, that's even more pathetic than this film is. I will admit that I only give Aronofsky's previous films a 6, so maybe you can go ahead and make fun of me now, but I've never clipped for any money or pretended that I had anything to share with you except for common sense. Expand
  99. RobertTheBruce
    May 14, 2007
    It never ceases to amaze me how hypocritical movie going audiences can be. For years we hear people complaining about how movies are too formulaic, predictable and narrative like. But when a movie, that truly reaches beyond the conventions of the typical Hollywood blockbuster finally comes forward, it is shunned, as people flee back to their tried and true formulas and trilogies. This it It never ceases to amaze me how hypocritical movie going audiences can be. For years we hear people complaining about how movies are too formulaic, predictable and narrative like. But when a movie, that truly reaches beyond the conventions of the typical Hollywood blockbuster finally comes forward, it is shunned, as people flee back to their tried and true formulas and trilogies. This it seems is the story of the Fountain. The film is truly a work of art, combining some of the most beautiful cinematography and music yet seen in a movie theater with an idea that is so simple, so common place, but at the same time so utterly life changing. Like the theater of Brecht, the Fountain is not so much about the narrative, but how what we are seeing communicates to us. It is for this reason that i feel the movie has had such a bad showing. The ideas its presents are so raw, so completely human, that it is hard to see them presented to us in this fashion. The ideas, for for average movie going joe, are to big and at the same time, close to heart to contemplate in a movie theater. For this reason, the Fountain should ONLY be seen by those who are able to watch a film without everything being spelled out for them, and by those intelligent enough to analyse the films message and how it is conveyed. Is truly one of the most original, innovative and moving films for a long time. 10/10 Expand
  100. MixsyG.
    Apr 8, 2007
    I loved to watch The Fountain. Finally someone expresing openly in a movie those allways Human-Spiritual issues that we are IN and we will, liking it or not. I enjoyed it cause also is reach in simbolism and it gives the unique interpretation for each detail. And as other comment i read here i think "It takes a special kind of person to enjoy this very special movie"

1. It's possible to admire or respect a movie without enjoying it too much, and that's partly the reaction I had to Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain. It's an incredibly ambitious film of sometimes thrilling visual achievement, but it didn't connect fully to my mind and nerves.
  2. Bloated and logy, and art-directed within an inch of its life, the movie shovels heaps of phony portent and all-purpose mystical imagery onto a thin and maudlin plot.
    The problem, though, is that its techniques run too far beyond its ideas, which are blurry and banal, rather than mysterious and resonant. The Fountain is something to see, but it is also much less, finally, than meets the eye.