7.9

1. Jan 2, 2015
    Can be interpreted on many levels, or enjoyed superficially as just a 'film'. However, for many who watched it, the depth of it can not be felt immediately but rather reflect upon as one might do after a mystical dream, and even enjoy it even after The End.
  2. Sep 25, 2014
    Sometimes being intelligent is a problem, which Aronovsky found out when he released The Fountain. Because roughly half of all human beings are completely incapable of noticing allegory, or any other complex language activities for that matter, the movie was criticized up one side and down the other by an army of nincompoops. But they can be safely ignored as usual.

The Fountain is

The Fountain is presented as three separate alternating stories, with Hugh Jackman leading all three of them, and Rachel Weiss with him in two of them. The first is presumably in the present, where Jackman is a biologist who is trying to save his dying wife by experimenting on monkeys. The second is set in the 1500s, with Jackman as a conquistador looking for immortality on behalf of the Spanish queen, and this is actually the book Rachel Weiss`character is writing, a detail many people seem to have missed. And the third is a sort of astral allegory of life and death, and one of the weirdest damn things I`ve seen in a while. But really, all three are the same story, dealing with the same topic from three different angles. The second aspect of this triple allegory is that it is not just multiple angles on the subject of life and death but also represents different levels of reality. Because Weiss` fiction (The conquistador part.) is obviously less real than the present day narrative, the implication is that the astral part of the movie is more real than it. Or in other words that spiritual and conceptual reality is superior to physical reality, which again is superior to fiction. Read some Plato and then watch The Fountain again and you`ll understand this part of it.
    The result is a tad confusing at first, like time distortions and multiple levels of reality tend to be in movies. But a second viewing cleared most of it up for me.

The movie is otherwise wonderfully cast and directed, visually distinct and has some of the best music I`ve heard in any move. For much of the movie I was convinced that it had to have been made by Current 93 or perhaps Michael Cashmore, but as it turns out the man responsible is Clint Mansell, one time singer in pop Will Eat Itself and collaborator with Trent Reznor. All the complaining about this movie does for me is make me lose faith in humanity, or at least the intelligence of large portions of it. God forbid anyone should try and tackle a difficult subject in a movie, or to be so rude as to do it in a challenging way! Now where`s my twelfth Transformers movie in five years????
  3. Aug 31, 2014
    The Fountain is a visual tale, told by Darren Aronofsky in a typical, complex fashion. The art direction may be Oscar-rate; however, the film makes a few missteps along the way.
  4. Jul 24, 2014
    (german)
    (german)
    Ein wirklich einzigartiger Film, der trotz seiner enormen Hintergrundgeschichte noch Platz für Spekulation lässt. Erst beim vierten oder fünften mal ansehen hab ich den Film wirklich verstanden. Ich kann durchaus nachvollziehen, dass einige, die den Film nur einmal sehen oder sich nicht mit dieser gewaltigen Materie des Film befassen wollen ihn als verwirrend oder sogar schlecht empfinden. Allen Film Liebhabern dieser Welt lege ich ihn jedoch sehr an´s Herz, ich kenne nichts Vergleichbares im Medium Film.
  5. Mar 26, 2014
    Holy cow. I went into this one with the lowest possible expectations, but what I got in return was a moving story of accepting death, but just saying that does this film significant injustice. First off, the visual effects were jawdroppingly gorgeous. At times, I could not contain my awe and found myself almost moved to tears by these visuals. I simply cannot describe to you how gorgeousHoly cow. I went into this one with the lowest possible expectations, but what I got in return was a moving story of accepting death, but just saying that does this film significant injustice. First off, the visual effects were jawdroppingly gorgeous. At times, I could not contain my awe and found myself almost moved to tears by these visuals. I simply cannot describe to you how gorgeous this film is without having you sit down and watch it. The visuals alone make this a crowning achievement in cinema and undoubtedly a crowning achievement for Darren Aronofsky, who's vision for this film comes through load and clear and was a resounding success. Aside from the visuals, the soundtrack was absolutely sublime. Much like the visuals, it was beautiful, elegant, and breathtaking at every turn. Hugh Jackman turned in a phenomenal performance as well.

My main complaints surrounding this one surround the confusing nature of it. The nonlinear storytelling was great, but made for a confusing film as we bounced around between characters and then you had to try to find your footing again. However, that is simply me being petty. While it was hard to follow at times and made your brain explode at others, the story as well was quite moving and was really what helped to put the icing on the cake for me. While I think it could have been less compiicated, I am more content with the way it is currently. It is hard for me to understand the criticism aimed at this one. The way the story is presented also gives rise to a very good idea about the true nature of this film. Ultimately, there may just be one story in this one with it being directly tied to the other elements of this film.
  6. Feb 11, 2014
    This film is about dealing with the loss of someone you deeply love. Denying death, then finally accepting it. It is a lyric poem of fantastic and beautiful images; an atypical, yet exceptional film. I found it one of the most beautiful, touching, artistic movies I’ve seen in a long time. Metaphorical images are used frequently, and metaphorical story lines. I know many who areThis film is about dealing with the loss of someone you deeply love. Denying death, then finally accepting it. It is a lyric poem of fantastic and beautiful images; an atypical, yet exceptional film. I found it one of the most beautiful, touching, artistic movies I’ve seen in a long time. Metaphorical images are used frequently, and metaphorical story lines. I know many who are confused by this movie. I don’t know why; I experienced it as simple and straightforward. Perhaps it is because the theme is one that is intimately familiar to me and that is why it was immediately recognizable. I hope, through time, this film will receive the recognition it deserves.
    Finish it.
  7. Jan 20, 2014
    انسان و مساله‌ی بودن یا نبودن

انسان و مساله‌ی بودن یا نبودن

مرگ مهم‌ترین دغدغه‌ی ذهنی بشر از گذشته‌های دور تا به امروز به حساب می‌آید و همیشه با ترسی عظیم هم‌راه بوده. انسان از زمانی که موجودی مرگ‌آگاه شد همیشه به دنبال رهایی از چنگال این شبح عظیم بوده که در لحظه لحظه‌ی زندگی هم‌راه اوست و همین هم‌راهی همیشگی انسان را در تعلیقی ابدی نگاه می‌دارد. چیزی که این قدر به ما نزدیک است چرا باید موجب هراسمان شود چرا به آن عادت نمی‌کنیم؟ دلیلش ناشناخته بودن مرگ است. از بعدش هیچ نمی‌دانیم همین ما را می‌ترساند.
    البته وقتی درباره‌ی مرگ حرف می‌زنیم باید این را در نظر گرفت که خود مرگ مد نظر است یا پیامدهای آن (منظورم از پیامد؛ مواجه شدن‌مان با مرگ دیگران، خاصه عزیزان‌مان است).
    مرگ و زندگی ‍‍پیوسته در کانون آثار برجسته‌ی هنر و ادبیات جهان قرار داشته. شگفتی ندارد اگر نخستین کتابی که از تمدن‌های بزرگ باستانی به دست ما رسیده است، کتاب مردگان مصر و نخستین افسانه، افسانه گیل گمش بابلی باشد که در تلاش و تکاپو برای یافتن گیاه جوانی و زندگی جاودان بود، و کهن‌ترین هراس یا آرزویی که از انسان آن روزگاران شناخته‌ایم، هراس از مرگ و آرزوی نامیرایی باشد.
    در طول تاریخ؛ بشر مدام سعی بر آن داشته تا خود را از چنگال مرگ برهاند. گاه با مواجه نشدن با آن تا زمانی که از سایه درآید و رخ نشان دهد، گاه با نفی کردنش و باور به حیات پس از مرگ (بازتولد در اشکال مختلف)، و گاه این اواخر به کمک پیشرفت علم، مرگ را بیماری دانستن و این که هر بیماری درمان دارد به مبارزه با آن رفته. در تمامی این راه‌های مواجهه با مرگ که با یک‌دیگر متفاوت‌اند، یک چیز مشترک وجود دارد و آن هم عدم پذیرش مرگ (آن طور که هست یا حداقل نشان می‌دهد) و میل به جاودانگی است. البته در این بین بوده‌اند کسانی که دانسته‌اند از مرگ گریزی نیست اما از هراسش چرا.
    فیلم چشمه ساخته‌ی دارن آرنوفسکی فیلمی است درباره‌ی مواجهه با مرگ (البته من این طور دیدمش) هر چند که شاید به دلیل زمان کوتاه فیلم (برای چنین مساله‌ای) آن بخش پیامدهای مرگ (از دست دادن عزیز) بسیار پررنگ‌تر است.
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    This film is too clever for its own good, and came across forced and disjointed. In all honesty, I had no idea what was happening for the majority of this corny film, and it wasn't a pleasant lack of understanding (Mulholland Drive), but a lack of understanding that led me to question whether watching it was a good use of my time or not. Burstyn offered some class, and Aronofksy isThis film is too clever for its own good, and came across forced and disjointed. In all honesty, I had no idea what was happening for the majority of this corny film, and it wasn't a pleasant lack of understanding (Mulholland Drive), but a lack of understanding that led me to question whether watching it was a good use of my time or not. Burstyn offered some class, and Aronofksy is blatantly talented, but here he pushed it too far, and produced a contrived hour and a half of nonsense, worsened by Rachel Weisz's sheer dullness. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As should be apparent, I am taking a jump back in time to review The Fountain. This just so happens to be one of my all time favorite films. For some, it is a cult classic. Reviews were fairly mixed, and understandably so. The movie is certainly not for everyone, even though it features some well respected actors at their finest, most notably the famous Hugh Jackman who is most known for his work as Wolverine in various X-MEN films and spin-offs. Indeed, the allure of this film for me stands in it's philosophical disposition, imagery, music, and overall emotion. Aronofsky, who is well known for his films Pi, Requiem for a Dream, and Black Swan (with more on the way as we speak), takes a real artistic plunge with this work as he explores heavy existential themes. Death, life, and rebirth are all on display. The film itself unfolds at three periods of time juxtaposed with one another. Initially, it is complex if you are unfamiliar with more complex storytelling styles. Even more so because each character is played by the same actor. For instance, Jackman himself plays three characters in this film. One from the past during the Inquisition, one during the "present day" as a doctor of sorts, and one in the distant future as a yogi freely floating on a "space ship" heading towards total enlightenment and oneness with the universe, and perhaps more importantly, his love.

Read more on Hear the Indie: http://heartheindie.com/film-reviews/2013/11/15/darren-aronofsky-the-fountain-film-review
  10. Dec 13, 2013
    Just watched The Fountain and I loved the romantic part, mostly because I long for love like that. Anyway, I came to my own interpretation before reading other reviews and to make it short: The scientist struggled with immortality, esp after his love died. But through finishing the story I think he realized, by tapping into his spiritual side, that even though our physical bodies areJust watched The Fountain and I loved the romantic part, mostly because I long for love like that. Anyway, I came to my own interpretation before reading other reviews and to make it short: The scientist struggled with immortality, esp after his love died. But through finishing the story I think he realized, by tapping into his spiritual side, that even though our physical bodies are not immortal, we all have immortality in the way of our spirits. Planting the tree on her grave was a symbolic gesture, and a way to express his new realization in his human, physical, though ego driven, self. Expand
  11. Nov 16, 2013
    The Fountain is a touching experience, a film that expresses real love. From Director- Darren Aronofsky who directed marvels such as PI and Requiem For A Dream has outdone his limits in this film. Portraying Immortality and Greed for life in a way that you will have stuck in a disturbing way. Hugh Jackson did marvellous in the main role and Rachel Weitz was good as well. The film isThe Fountain is a touching experience, a film that expresses real love. From Director- Darren Aronofsky who directed marvels such as PI and Requiem For A Dream has outdone his limits in this film. Portraying Immortality and Greed for life in a way that you will have stuck in a disturbing way. Hugh Jackson did marvellous in the main role and Rachel Weitz was good as well. The film is visually brilliant, disturbing at times, touching and heartwarming. Also a slow mind bender at times but a must watch. Expand
  12. Oct 5, 2013
    I was so immersed and solemn throughout that it felt an hour longer than it really was. The subject matter concerned with the value of life and immortality. Three stories run in parallel and it takes real concentration and interest to understand what's going on. That may sound like it's hard to follow, but it isn't true. The first time I watched it like the teenager that I was. The secondI was so immersed and solemn throughout that it felt an hour longer than it really was. The subject matter concerned with the value of life and immortality. Three stories run in parallel and it takes real concentration and interest to understand what's going on. That may sound like it's hard to follow, but it isn't true. The first time I watched it like the teenager that I was. The second time I was twenty-five, and really in a position to appreciate the scope and complexity of the tale being told. The movie has divided critics and the audience into two factions, and some hate the movie for that alone. But I'm telling you, it takes multiple viewings for the message to sink in. Not because the director botched the job, but because he trusted his audience to arrive at the conclusion by themselves, without any help. And that, in my opinion, is how I'd rather a story would be told. It isn't often attempted because it's risky and who would want to do that when millions of dollars are at stake. This feat has made me respect Aronofsky more. The fact that the score is literally the best I have ever heard plays no small part in my conviction that this movie is one of the greatest movies ever made. When I read people spewing filth all over this film, I'm reaffirmed in my belief that true greatness is hard to fathom. It takes patience, an eye for detail, good intention, open mindedness and a warm heart. Expand
  13. Oct 1, 2013
    The storyline is decent and somehow interesting and philosophic. The visuals and the soundtrack both are outstanding. Hugh Jackman is great, he made a passionate and possessed character, but the most huge letdown for me was the role of Rachel Weisz, she is a real beauty indeed, but I didn't feel compassion to her character, I didn't care, her role was so bleak and shallow, though all theThe storyline is decent and somehow interesting and philosophic. The visuals and the soundtrack both are outstanding. Hugh Jackman is great, he made a passionate and possessed character, but the most huge letdown for me was the role of Rachel Weisz, she is a real beauty indeed, but I didn't feel compassion to her character, I didn't care, her role was so bleak and shallow, though all the plot was spinning around saving her life. Collapse
  14. Sep 5, 2013
    One of the most astounding films I have ever seen.

It ties together it's different story arcs in a sublime fashion. Seems to be about living wrong and dying right. The directing and cinematography is strong throughout and gorgeous at points. Good performances across the board. And as a free bonus it annoys religious people by implying that there is no real difference between
    One of the most astounding films I have ever seen.

It ties together it's different story arcs in a sublime fashion.

Seems to be about living wrong and dying right.

The directing and cinematography is strong throughout and gorgeous at points.

Good performances across the board.

And as a free bonus it annoys religious people by implying that there is no real difference between Catholics, Buddhists, and Mayans ^o^
  15. Jul 20, 2013
    Deep, romantic andDeep, romantic and mystic...........................................................great!................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Expand
  16. Apr 5, 2013
    The tree of life and the fountain of youth. The possibilities for themes and visuals are endless. Unfortunately Aronofsky chooses to bog us down in a melodrama with two characters that he never gives us a chance to connect with. This film is trying very hard to be complex but the story arc is simple. A doctor is trying to save his dying wife. She knows what he will not accept. The rest isThe tree of life and the fountain of youth. The possibilities for themes and visuals are endless. Unfortunately Aronofsky chooses to bog us down in a melodrama with two characters that he never gives us a chance to connect with. This film is trying very hard to be complex but the story arc is simple. A doctor is trying to save his dying wife. She knows what he will not accept. The rest is surreal visuals revolving around the afterlife.

All of this would be a great idea if there were characters involved that I cared about. My second issue with the Fountain is the visuals. For a film that is relying heavily on visuals they are pretty bland here. If there is a bright spot I think it is Jackman's performance. I don't think I have ever seen him convey emotion in such a believable way. The Fountain had some promise but in the end never delivers.
  17. Sep 29, 2012
    I have to admit this is the second time I
  18. May 17, 2012
    This movie is rather ostentatious in it's attempt to weave the stories of three lifetimes into one. some may consider it a hit, some may consider it a miss and some may see it only as one of "those" movies that requires "sensory enhancement" (*wink wink*)

still, a decent film to watch if you have the patience. it tells a rather deep story about the love of two soul mates and Hugh Jackman's performance is actually pretty good since he's able to convey subtlety at some points and mind-bending madness at another. some may say it's pretentious but i would suspect that they lost track because you do have to pay attention and people with short attention spans will likely hate it.
  19. Mar 25, 2012
    Aronofsky creates a metaphoric and meditative experience for his audience, but when he tries to create poetry, his results are more corny than they are compelling
  20. Mar 22, 2012
    Aronofsky's unique eye and Clint Mansell's near-perfect scoring highlight this bold film about mankind's eternal struggle with the concept of death. The three stories flow together seamlessly and help each other weave a tale that takes place over a thousand years. The Fountain will break your heart many times over before it's through and you won't ever forget it.
  21. Oct 9, 2011
    Easily one of the best films I've ever seen on so many levels. Visually alone it is incredible, but when you add in the story, themes, direction and character portrayal it just becomes magic. Aronofsky captures something incredible in his portrayal of 3 parallel story-lines about life, death, and love. It is a deep film and can be interpreted in many ways and is a treat to watch every time.
  22. Sep 29, 2011
    Ambitious and beautiful. That's all I can say. How one man love turns into his hatred towards death and search for immortality, and how once immortality is finally reached, man will long to die, and be with the one sent him off for the quest of immortality in the first place. Aronofsky shows great skill and ingenious by writing up this script. Also, the cinematography is stunning andAmbitious and beautiful. That's all I can say. How one man love turns into his hatred towards death and search for immortality, and how once immortality is finally reached, man will long to die, and be with the one sent him off for the quest of immortality in the first place. Aronofsky shows great skill and ingenious by writing up this script. Also, the cinematography is stunning and extremely well done even 5 years after the movie was filmed. Underrated and overly criticized. I think the ambitions of the movie are what made the critics expect something more, but what else they were expecting? Beats me. Great flick. Expand
  23. Aug 27, 2011
    Aronofsky is adventurous in ways that many filmmakers are not. He is able to be bold, grab an idea by the horns and take it where he wants to, and choosing to do so in the methods he sees as the most clear. The Fountain is a misfire on this concept. It is a film disconnected from any sort of root (which is odd, given that trees show up a lot in it), the audience or it's own story. It hasAronofsky is adventurous in ways that many filmmakers are not. He is able to be bold, grab an idea by the horns and take it where he wants to, and choosing to do so in the methods he sees as the most clear. The Fountain is a misfire on this concept. It is a film disconnected from any sort of root (which is odd, given that trees show up a lot in it), the audience or it's own story. It has all of its interests into itself, but never bothers to actually care for what it's trying to do, because it's too busy thinking. Can't it just stop to smell the roses. Kubrick could do that. Expand
  24. Jun 16, 2011
    Darren did an amazing job on this movie. I sincerely do not understand its low score, contrary to other movies like "Requiem for a dream" that get ridiculous good reviews. If you really enjoy movies and aren't a close-minded individual you should watch this movie, because you'll enjoy it.
  25. Mar 14, 2011
    This in up in my list of favorites one of the best films i have seen. It really explored life,death and love and something in-between. This film will leave you thinking for sure well worth watching.
  26. Feb 27, 2011
    Fantastic movie,simplified stories,great characterization,i literally can feel Jacks pain...beautiful movie,it just motivate for deeper thinking and trying to understand this life that we all live...
  27. Feb 16, 2011
    Like all Arofonsky movies, this is **** up too, but is very bad way. It is very boring, confusing and badly directed, story is bleak and too deep for most people. I am not suprised that this movie was box office flop..
  28. Jan 6, 2011
    There are no words to express what i felt after watching The Fountain, this movie is so beautiful in its own way it explores the man's greed for life and immortality. Excellently directed and perfectly acted movie. Aronofsky's a brilliant filmmaker Rachel Weisz is good Hugh Jackman gives a Bravura a career defining performance you can feel the pain of Jackman's Character :( . You should'ntThere are no words to express what i felt after watching The Fountain, this movie is so beautiful in its own way it explores the man's greed for life and immortality. Excellently directed and perfectly acted movie. Aronofsky's a brilliant filmmaker Rachel Weisz is good Hugh Jackman gives a Bravura a career defining performance you can feel the pain of Jackman's Character :( . You should'nt miss this. Beautiful just Beautiful!!! Expand
  29. Nov 8, 2010
    I thought The New World with Colin Farrell was the worst movie I would ever see in my life....then I saw this heap of steaming feces. If I could give it a negative score I would.
  30. Oct 19, 2010
    Rarely are a script, a screenplay and a score perfectly intertwined to produce a true cinematic masterpiece. The Fountain comes very close. A dark and surreal journey of unlimited hope in tragic circumstances. Genius.
  31. Sep 14, 2010
    This movie was absolutely beautiful. I just loved it so much. There's something fantastic about it, but it seems everyone doesn't get it based on some reviews I've read. I found The Fountain to be intense, emotional, touching and extraordinary. Like nothing I've seen before.
  32. Sep 14, 2010
    I love this movie. I saw it in the cinema, and I return to it pretty often. However, it should be said that its a very curious thing, owing to what RyanM write in his, admittedly insightful review, with which I agree, with two exceptions: I think Jackman is very good here, and I consider the fact that the film is a bunch of allegories, heavily metaphorical, and that the plot is notI love this movie. I saw it in the cinema, and I return to it pretty often. However, it should be said that its a very curious thing, owing to what RyanM write in his, admittedly insightful review, with which I agree, with two exceptions: I think Jackman is very good here, and I consider the fact that the film is a bunch of allegories, heavily metaphorical, and that the plot is not explicitly stated (one could even say that the drawing of the lines to the dots that this movie presents is left to the reader) a positive thing. Weisz is, as always, stunning, though I'm heavily biased here. The music is wonderful, and the soundtrack is one of my favourite ones. Expand
  33. Aug 29, 2010
    this movie is a clear work of genius it brings many ideas and concepts to the table and translates them with near perfect precision.
    Coupled with a unforgettable musical score, this movie made me cry and stare in wonder at the same time.
  34. Aug 23, 2010
    Living forever would be hell. Eternity claws at the heart of Aronofsky's temporally transcendent hero, Thomas. Hugh Jackman plays Thomas, but the character embodies director/writer Aronofsky's complex and insightful interpretation of what immortality means. Beyond humanity conquering time, this film tackles how ideas, and even feelings, can be inherently timeless. The Fountain courageouslyLiving forever would be hell. Eternity claws at the heart of Aronofsky's temporally transcendent hero, Thomas. Hugh Jackman plays Thomas, but the character embodies director/writer Aronofsky's complex and insightful interpretation of what immortality means. Beyond humanity conquering time, this film tackles how ideas, and even feelings, can be inherently timeless. The Fountain courageously examines what keeps us here and why we eventually need to go.

Aronofsky's ability as a director has been hailed with both Pi and Requiem for a Dream. The Fountain is unlike anything he has done before. He provokes audiences intellectually, spiritually and viscerally, but this time, with extra concern for plot and character dynamics. Like Fellini, putting his wife in his films compels a richer and more passionate creation. Weisz proves more enchanting in this sci-fi spirit quest than any other film to date. Instead of isolation and dependence, Aronofsky focuses on interconnectivity. A responsibility to his wife, new born, and devoted fans gives birth to a film that aspires to be something timeless itself. Aronofsky, more than anything, demonstrates how much he expects of himself.

Moving within the millennia spanning the films narrative are the souls of Thomas and Izzi. They are tied to each other and the tree of life. Uniquely positioned as the tie that binds them to the tree is love. In every period, Thomas scrambles to save Izzi in some way. Thomas exasperatingly challenges the life threatening circumstances Izzi faces. Battling Mayan warlords, cancerous tumors or traveling to Xibalba(The Place of Fear) are dwarfed by the life purpose Izzi instills in him. The limitations of love and devotion are reluctantly acknowledged, as Thomas becomes a slave to hope and memory.

The very essence of existence comes into play as fantasy is given as much legitimacy in the film as reality. The scenes from the Mayan period are melded together with the fiction Izzi is writing in present day. The line between truth and fiction disintegrates as the three stories continually intertwine. The motives of the characters are similar in each, but it takes the fantasy to provoke their destinies. Thomas's ultimate fate and acceptance of reality can only happen in surreal settings where anything is possible.

The Fountain delves into the ineffable headfirst. Infinite possibility lies at the heart of life and death. One answer is as valid or invalid as the next without a map key. The closest we come to understanding it all is when determining what it isn't. Aronofsky posits the question as the answer stylishly, uniquely and profoundly.

1. It's possible to admire or respect a movie without enjoying it too much, and that's partly the reaction I had to Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain. It's an incredibly ambitious film of sometimes thrilling visual achievement, but it didn't connect fully to my mind and nerves.
  2. Bloated and logy, and art-directed within an inch of its life, the movie shovels heaps of phony portent and all-purpose mystical imagery onto a thin and maudlin plot.
    The problem, though, is that its techniques run too far beyond its ideas, which are blurry and banal, rather than mysterious and resonant. The Fountain is something to see, but it is also much less, finally, than meets the eye.