6.1

1. Feb 8, 2015
    Nicolas Cage has been more risk than reward over recent years but I'd give him props in this movie. I think he gave a pretty solid performance. Serial killer movies have always been films I've enjoyed. Robert Hansen is one of the most deadly American killers and I really didn't know that much about him. John Cusack was a character that wouldn't expect to see playing Hansen. He improvedNicolas Cage has been more risk than reward over recent years but I'd give him props in this movie. I think he gave a pretty solid performance. Serial killer movies have always been films I've enjoyed. Robert Hansen is one of the most deadly American killers and I really didn't know that much about him. John Cusack was a character that wouldn't expect to see playing Hansen. He improved more and more as the film went on. I was not a fan of Vanessa Hudgen's role, she was sort of in the wrong company and they could've gone with someone else. She had two much camera time for the first hour and that is one of the major reasons I gave this movie a seven. The last half of the movie when Nick Cage took was what saved it. Expand
  2. Sep 17, 2014
    People who hate it, need to remember It`s a "true story," so they can only work with what happened.The bad guy is on this one is twisted, and you can`t help, but to want him to be caught.This movie is pretty dark in every way. I think it`s worth watching, but nothing special.
  3. Aug 23, 2014
    I can't understand why this film would get such bad reviews, some even put a zero rating meaning it was terrible. In my opinion it was a great movie based on a true story and between meta critic and rotten tomatoes I'll never base reviews on wether I watch a movie or not. Even the critics are so off and inconsistent.
  4. Jul 2, 2014
    this is one of the better "true story" movies I have seen. Very believable and very well acted. All parts were picked well for the characters. Mr. Cage in his finest role in my opinion. I don't remember these abductions/murders, but Im from CA. Excellent movie. Makes me want to contact the sgt and thank him.
  5. Apr 13, 2014
    I find that the best thrillers come from films that are based on real life events. Some of these stories are just so twisted and crazy, that even the best writer wouldn't be able to imagine them on their own. The story told in the film The Frozen Ground, is one such story, telling the world about serial killer, Robert Hansen. From the 1970s until 1983, Hansen was one of the nations mostI find that the best thrillers come from films that are based on real life events. Some of these stories are just so twisted and crazy, that even the best writer wouldn't be able to imagine them on their own. The story told in the film The Frozen Ground, is one such story, telling the world about serial killer, Robert Hansen. From the 1970s until 1983, Hansen was one of the nations most prolific serial killers. What makes Hansen's story unique is that he was able to do all this, without the police even connecting the cases, because of where he lived. Hansen's story begins in Anchorage Alaska, where he began preying on prostitutes. After torturing and killing them, he would dump the bodies in remote, unpopulated areas of Alaska, where they were ravaged by the weather and wild animals. This made finding the cause of death or even identifying the victims nearly impossible. Hansen would probably still be active today, if it wasn't for Cindy Paulson, the only victim in 12 years, to escape the madman, and that's where our film begins. Nicholas Cage stars as Jack Halcombe, a state police detective who comes up with a wild theory that all these missing people and strange deaths, could be connected. Halcombe has a tough time convincing anyone of this, especially since his only witness is a drug abusing prostitute. Nicolas Cage excels in movies like this and is again terrific. Cage was born to play a cop and in my opinion does it better than anyone else out there. In this film, he's paired with Zac Efron's ex, Vanessa Hudgens, who wasn't great, but was much better than I expected. It's difficult to make the transition from Disney cover girl to a legitimate movie star, but I'd say that Hudgens is well on her way. Finally, John Cusack rounds out this all-star cast, playing Robert Hansen. After all the films I've seen Cusack in, I really couldn't imagine him as the bad guy, but his performance is what really helps this movie stand out, and hopefully will lead him to other similar roles. The Frozen Ground is a little slow, but it is supposedly very accurate, and tells an interesting story that most people know nothing about. It's the kind of film that I really go for and hopefully you will too. Collapse
  6. Nov 5, 2013
    There's really no excuse for this film being as bad as it is. Despite tons of on screen talent it's destroyed by poor story telling and paper thin characters. With this subject matter and being based in reality it should be a story that grabs and never lets go. Unfortunately someone feels that shaking the camera is all it takes to hold an audience. The script is wordy to the point of dullThere's really no excuse for this film being as bad as it is. Despite tons of on screen talent it's destroyed by poor story telling and paper thin characters. With this subject matter and being based in reality it should be a story that grabs and never lets go. Unfortunately someone feels that shaking the camera is all it takes to hold an audience. The script is wordy to the point of dull and the concept of pacing is non existent. All in all, just a truly poorly executed film. My biggest movie let down so far this year. Expand
  7. Sep 23, 2013
    Poorly written and acted and slow paced. If I am being brutally honest, It was just a god awful film. Not a single thing was good about it and that's really saying something because I have seen a lot of trash. Don't bother with this one.
  8. Sep 21, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie i found the story captivating and the acting refreshing i would definatley recommend viewing.
    Big thumbs up to both Cage and Cussack job well done.
    Scary stuff it was a true story
  9. Sep 14, 2013
    I am not fan of both Cage and Cusack but in this movie they had great performances, not to say that the whole cast were great. I was surprised by other's low ratings, because I really enjoyed it.
  10. Aug 31, 2013
    I have been waiting for this movie for 2 yrs. Actually saw N Cage and others at hospital I was working while it was being filmed. All of Alaska knows of this terrible true story.

Camera work ruined the film- shakey-jerking- sometimes showing the actor for 10 seconds before you can even focus in and they spin the shot somewhere else...often 5 times in a 60 second period !! Most scenes

Most scenes are so close up that the chin and hair line is cut off of the picture.
    Wasted opportunity for great Alaska scenery as it was snowing that Nov when they filmed
    All Alaskans will be let down
  11. Aug 25, 2013
    Excellent movie, very well directed. I myself could not have picked a better cast of actors or actress to do the parts in this movie. Would love to see Nicolas Cage and John Cusack do future movies.
  12. Aug 23, 2013
    It's been so long since Nicolas Cage has starred in a straightforward thriller playing a realistic character that "The Frozen Ground" feels like a shock to the system his, and ours. And Cage, without having to play a ghostly motorcyclist or hot rod driver from Hell or sorcerer or sci-fi hero or kinky cop, reminds us that he used to know subtlety. So even if "Frozen Ground" breaks littleIt's been so long since Nicolas Cage has starred in a straightforward thriller playing a realistic character that "The Frozen Ground" feels like a shock to the system his, and ours. And Cage, without having to play a ghostly motorcyclist or hot rod driver from Hell or sorcerer or sci-fi hero or kinky cop, reminds us that he used to know subtlety. So even if "Frozen Ground" breaks little new ground in the serial-killer thriller genre, there's hope Cage will leave the ham behind before Alaska freezes over. Expand

1. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Aug 26, 2013
    Unfortunately, writer-director Scott Walker's film is a muddled and strangely inert one, generating little of the suspense or anguish its subject requires; despite its high-profile cast.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Neumaier
    Aug 23, 2013
    What’s more depressing: that John Cusack chose the junky, un-exciting serial killer drama The Frozen Ground as his latest step away from John Cusack-y roles, or that Nicolas Cage chose to, at long last, be as un-Cage-like as possible?
  3. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Aug 22, 2013
    Cusack and Cage — who don’t have any scenes together until halfway through — do their best work in years, while erstwhile “High School Musical’’ star Hudgens shows off acting chops missing in “Spring Breakers.’’