8.6

1. Sep 29, 2013
    The Fugitive is one of the best Harrison Ford movies, as well as definitely being on my Top 20 list. This movie is smart, and suspense and good performances make this movie. The way it moves from shot to shot and Dr. Kimble's quick thinking create a very intriguing movie. Watch it, and you'll see what I mean.
  2. Feb 23, 2012
    Harrison Ford has had some of the most iconic roles in cinematic history, but this is probably his best acting job in my personal opinion. This movie is a masterpiece. It is a great drama with stellar performances. It will snare you, and keep you hooked for its entirety. Such was my experience anyway.
  3. Apr 2, 2012
    The fugitive is a 10 out of 10 movie. Acting is superb. Harrison ford is amazing( highly underrated), and Tommy lee jones does a great job as well. Score is great. Great 90s music. The story is great. A great remake of the 1960s tv show. Could've been better.action sequence are great as well. Overall, this is a really good movie. Everyone and anyone should go and see this movie. This isThe fugitive is a 10 out of 10 movie. Acting is superb. Harrison ford is amazing( highly underrated), and Tommy lee jones does a great job as well. Score is great. Great 90s music. The story is great. A great remake of the 1960s tv show. Could've been better.action sequence are great as well. Overall, this is a really good movie. Everyone and anyone should go and see this movie. This is highly recommended. Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2013
    Smart thriller with great performances from Ford and Jones. The pacing and the story is really good, so this movie will keep you on the edge of your seat during it's run-time. Recommended.
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    It's rousing, fast-paced, tense as all hell, and - most importantly - unshakable. "The Fugitive" is, in short, the perfect man-on-the-run thriller.
  6. May 12, 2013
    A truly fantastic movie, with its good story line builds the whole mood of the film, one of the best performances of H.Ford and best Tommy Lee Jones, this film deserves every consideration of those who wish to see it.
  7. Aug 23, 2010
    Man gets accused of murdering his wife, gets death penalty, prison bus crashes, goes on the run, US Marshalls come after him.
    Thriller/action film based on the TV show & it's comes together pretty well.
    Harrison Ford & Tommy Lee Jones grunt their way through it & some good set pieces throughout. It's all pretty plausible (except maybe the jumping in the water bit) & the story unravels at a
    Thriller/action film based on the TV show & it's comes together pretty well.
    It's all pretty plausible (except maybe the jumping in the water bit) & the story unravels at a decent pace.
  8. Jan 25, 2011
    One of the best "wrongfully accused" movies ever. Ford and Jones play their roles to perfection and keep the action and suspense at top notch. Some dated graphics take a bit away from the overall effect as does the whole drug industry finale but The Fugitive is still a great and suspenseful flick that anyone will enjoy.
  9. Mar 4, 2011
    The film has a flimsy story. Tommy Lee Jones was great but really, who cares as he had to act his way through a TV show.
  10. Oct 12, 2011
    The Fugitive, at first glance, would appear to have a lot in common with the summer blockbuster trash you see every year. The Fugitive is far from a standard thriller though. Unlike the majority of films offering cheap thrills (which this film does still have in droves), The Fugitive actually has a brain. The dialogue is pretty slick, and you actually feel emotionally invested in theThe Fugitive, at first glance, would appear to have a lot in common with the summer blockbuster trash you see every year. The Fugitive is far from a standard thriller though. Unlike the majority of films offering cheap thrills (which this film does still have in droves), The Fugitive actually has a brain. The dialogue is pretty slick, and you actually feel emotionally invested in the characters. Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones both turn in among the finest performances of either their careers, and play out an exciting on-screen battle of wits and resilience. This extravagant game of cat-and-mouse is handled well, and while you sometimes have to suspend your disbelief at some points of the story, and gloss over a few plot holes at others, the film is always entertaining. The only real crime the Fugitive commits is that fails to hide where the final, supposedly shocking twist is going to come from - you see it a mile off, and this slightly undermines the rest of the story. Despite this disappointment, The Fugitive is well worth a watch - it's clever enough to be considered more than just "another thriller", and you'll have a very enjoyable time watching it throughout. Expand
  11. Oct 10, 2011
    Most people use The Fugitive as an example of how a perfect chase film should be but in all honesty I've seen better (District 9 for example). However that is not to say that The Fugitive isn't a quality film from start to finish. It does what its supposed to do and is incredibly entertaining while it is doing it. The downside of the fugitive is it seems to be made of scenes that theMost people use The Fugitive as an example of how a perfect chase film should be but in all honesty I've seen better (District 9 for example). However that is not to say that The Fugitive isn't a quality film from start to finish. It does what its supposed to do and is incredibly entertaining while it is doing it. The downside of the fugitive is it seems to be made of scenes that the director didn't quite know where to put with scenes talking about Richard Kimble's (Harrison Ford) intelligence being slotted in quite late in the film because it slowed down the pace so the viewer could take a breath. This kind of mix match of scenes doesn't prove too much of a problem but if you want to emphasise your characters intelligence, you might want to do it at the beginning instead of waiting until he has been on the run for 70 minutes of a 2 hour film. That being said, I enjoyed the mystery novel pace, the glacial reveals of key nuggets of information as the reason behind Kimble's framing come together nicely for one hell of a finale. When it comes to The Fugitive most people will talk about the scene on the dam or Tommy Lee Jones' portrayal of Samuel Gerard but the best part of the film in my opinion is the beginning, the moments before he starts running. Not only does it set up Kimble's character so that there is not a moment you think he killed his wife but it also gives you reason to like him while also showing he isn't perfect. He is quick to anger but incredibly kind, he is the Everyman kind of hero the film needed and Ford portrays him as such but also brings subtle quirks to the character. The film commences the chase with some great effects and from that moment on the film continues to build in tension until the very end with there being stand out sequences (such as the one on St Patricks Day) leading to a cracking final act.
    Despite the fact he was the sole Oscar winner for the film, it should be said that he deserved it with his character being something else, a great performance that still impresses today. Overall a excellent thriller but it could have used a more coherent idea of what the film should look like in the end with scenes feeling out of place or unnecessary for no good reason.
  12. Jan 16, 2012
    Is it just me...

Is it just me...

...Or are all American thrillers basically the same movie, just slightly altered and repackaged each time? Okay, I know at heart that there are some obvious details in each film that make it different to ones before it, but I can't be the only one who's thought that, by simply pulling a bunch of dangerous-sounding buzz words out of the air (words like 'prosecution', 'corruption', 'mistaken identity' and 'manhunt') I could form the foundation of the next big action thriller. So why, then, is Andrew Davis' The Fugitive, a film that contains all these base ingredients and more, so much fun to watch? Short answer: a solid story, good acting and a cast of characters that fit into their respective roles like a favourite pair of pyjamas. Long answer: by all means, read on.

Harrison Ford is Dr. Richard Kimble, a respected man sentenced to prison for murdering his wife, despite being adamant that it was not him, but a mysterious one-armed man, who committed the crime. On the bus ride to the big house, the other prisoners stage a daring escape, allowing Kimble to flee and begin a life of anonymity whilst seeking out the real killer. That is, until he crosses paths with Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones), a hard-nosed US Marshal who cares not for Kimble's excuses, and whose only concern is restoring the status quo.

Excluding the excellent Indiana Jones trilogy (notice I've left out the fourth instalment, which I refuse to mention by name), Ford has made this genre his forte, making him a natural fit for the desperate, determined Kimble. Jones earns the Best Supporting Actor Oscar by playing the typical Jones role to great effect: a no-nonsense tough guy with a sideswiping sense of humour. And Joe Pantoliano, best known as Ralph Cifaretto (or Cypher, if you're no Sopranos fan) makes under-appreciated contributions as Gerard's right-hand man.

Suspense is on high supply throughout. My personal favourite is Kimble's attempt to hide in plain sight at the hospital, a tense and dramatic set piece that sets a paranoid tone for the rest of the film. But there is a plethora of energetic, 'edge-of-your-seat' moments to satisfy film connoisseurs and action junkies alike, including the sewer chase, the St. Patrick's Day parade and the rooftop climax, all of which comply with the conventions of an action thriller nicely against the backdrop of a bleak, but not quite noir, Chicago CBD.

Speaking of conventions, it's clear that Davis has made a tight pace the top priority in The Fugitive, as the entire film is determined to remove any and all obstacles that would otherwise slow the movie down. Character development is restricted mainly to Ford's character, but is sprinkled in just enough to keep the rest of the cast from looking like cardboard cut-outs. But most pleasing was the omission of a romantic subplot. At different times during production, both Julianne Moore and Jane Lynch were scripted as Kimble's love interest. Despite the obvious pitfalls this would create from a logical perspective (considering Kimble spends the whole movie trying to avenge his beloved wife), it also sounds like the director has dodged a minefield of clichés by avoiding the beaten path; something I am very grateful for.

Admittedly, the film becomes a little convoluted in the third act. Depending on how much you've enjoyed The Fugitive, this alone might be enough to warrant a second viewing, but otherwise it's nothing that a quick trip to the IMDb won't fix. If you're looking for a theme to take away, I suppose the movie could act as an exposition of human nature in desperate times. However, I doubt that was on the agenda during filming, and so the film should instead be enjoyed as was intended: an absorbing, high-drama roller-coaster, which I expect will remain a staple of this genre for many decades to come.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review.*
  13. Aug 15, 2013
    Frenética e intensa de principio a fin, "The Fugitive" esta perfectamente interpretada por dos grandes: Harrison Ford y Tommy Lee Jones. Bien contada la historia, con una gran guión y una magnífica dirección, todos los condimentos para que guste y mucho la película.
  14. Oct 25, 2013
    An intricate and thoughtful thriller, 'The Fugitive' is a well made film based on the TV series. Though all of it comes from the dramatic and fascinating true story of Sam Shepard and his wrongful conviction, which shows how the law can not always be correct. Tommy Lee Jones brings the comedic piece as the sardonic yet well-trained marshal. I liked the movie, and I could watch it overAn intricate and thoughtful thriller, 'The Fugitive' is a well made film based on the TV series. Though all of it comes from the dramatic and fascinating true story of Sam Shepard and his wrongful conviction, which shows how the law can not always be correct. Tommy Lee Jones brings the comedic piece as the sardonic yet well-trained marshal. I liked the movie, and I could watch it over about ten times before becoming tire of it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Martin Chilton
    Nov 26, 2013
    What makes the film so special is that Ford and Tommy Lee Jones (as his chief pursuer, US Marshal Samuel Gerard) are such beautifully matched adversaries.
    A flurry of stunts, close shaves and deeds of desperate daring, it easily transcends its television origins to become a stylish pacemaker-buster.
  3. Though it's a good half hour too long, this belated, overblown spin-off of the 60s TV show otherwise adds up to a pretty good suspense thriller.