7.5

Apr 21, 2005
    Great movie.
  2. CoreyR.
    Jun 14, 2005
    Boy did they screw this one up! The soccer was indifferent, the actors poorly chosen, the script was pathetic. Patrick Stewart sounds like he's channelling Mason Adams. I didn't know if I was watching a movie or a smuckers commercial. How they build up Stanley Mortensen over Sir Stanley Matthews is beyond me. Of course when the US finds out England is resting their best player, Boy did they screw this one up! The soccer was indifferent, the actors poorly chosen, the script was pathetic. Patrick Stewart sounds like he's channelling Mason Adams. I didn't know if I was watching a movie or a smuckers commercial. How they build up Stanley Mortensen over Sir Stanley Matthews is beyond me. Of course when the US finds out England is resting their best player, perhaps the best British player of all time, of course they're in with a chance. This point will be lost on most Americans. And the coda? Is their anything more pointless than the MLS All-star game. Expand
  3. AugieS.
    Aug 12, 2005
    Low-key telling of a legendary sports event. Ranks right up there with the movie, Miracle, in a diferent way.
  4. RichardJ
    Sep 15, 2005
    Good intentions that missed the mark on many levels. I wanted to like it and drove for over an hour to see it.
  5. BobG.
    Apr 22, 2005
    This movie is both inspiring and emotional. A true "feel good " movie.... Well done scenes for the period. Well acted. Gerard Butler does a great job in this film. This St. Louis native is proud of a job well done.
  6. BobS
    Jun 15, 2005
    Greatest upset in world cup history? What about France 3 Brazil 0 in 1998?

1. Coaching from the same playbook with which they made "Rudy" and "Hoosiers," director David Anspaugh and screenwriter Angelo Pizzo create a reverent fable.
  2. Unlike some other soccer movies, there's no fancy editing -- excitement is generated strictly by the actual choreography and the commentary of an English announcer.
    The final match stirs briefly, but when it's over, the movie's energy crashes right back down again. Disappointing.