8.7

1. CTN1
    Apr 17, 2001
    The only reason I liked this movie was it had a nice shot at Katie Holme's ....s. Good Casting.
  2. Conny
    Sep 23, 2001
    Cate Blanchett's performance is so amazing!!
  3. KatieK.
    Aug 16, 2001
    Sam Raimi is amazing. Spooky southern setting, an amazing cast...Wonderful!
  4. MaryZ.
    Feb 9, 2001
    Blanchett deserves an oscar nod for her performance in this hair raising thriller.
  5. EricaB.
    Jan 25, 2001
    If this movie is a prelude to what 2001 is going to be like at the box office then viewers are in for one helluva year.
  6. armandos.
    Feb 10, 2005
    I liked this movie, even though i do not believe in precognition. Blanchett was wonderful and Reeves even gives a good performance-whoa-what a suprise-he should just play bad guys the rest of his career! Well directed by Raimi.
  7. PatC.
    Jan 7, 2004
    Blanchett has a way of driving a plot in a way one can't recall seeing before.
  8. JeremyW.
    Sep 4, 2006
    I found the story captivating, once it began rolling, although the Southern depravity was an appalling, if true-life-life, vehicle that at once repelled, and yet attracted sympathy. Giovanni Ribisi was my favorite character in the film. The plot was a little thin, but the cast really made this film.
  9. BrianC.
    Apr 23, 2004
    The movie wasn't too bad, it was better than it was worse. I think we all know that the best part was seeing Katie Holmes naked. It was about time, thank you to Raimi.
  10. BrianC.
    Apr 23, 2004
  11. M.Hunt
    Jan 25, 2001
    This mediocre TV Movie-esque film was saved by its stellar cast, and the refreshing style of the film-maker. The story stays with you long after the credits roll.
  12. Jul 13, 2014
    The Gift is engrossing, well-scripted, and beautifully shot until the final quarter. Then, the movie gets very movie-ish and preposterous with an unsatisfying ending. But the performances alone in this star-studded cast are what make this movie, especially Blanchett's emotionally moving portrayal of a woman secluded from society because of her psychic powers. Ultimately, I recommend seeingThe Gift is engrossing, well-scripted, and beautifully shot until the final quarter. Then, the movie gets very movie-ish and preposterous with an unsatisfying ending. But the performances alone in this star-studded cast are what make this movie, especially Blanchett's emotionally moving portrayal of a woman secluded from society because of her psychic powers. Ultimately, I recommend seeing The Gift; it's a fine piece of filmmaking. Expand
  13. AndrewM.
    Apr 4, 2004
    This film was...ok. I don't really know how to describe it. Yes, Blanchett was superb, but then she always is. Keanu Reeves was believable (and loathsome) and Katie Holmes was very good (and very sexy!) But the whole story just wasn't much fun to watch and didn't resonate any feelings. It was predictable in parts and inevitable in others. Overall, I'd say a fairly well This film was...ok. I don't really know how to describe it. Yes, Blanchett was superb, but then she always is. Keanu Reeves was believable (and loathsome) and Katie Holmes was very good (and very sexy!) But the whole story just wasn't much fun to watch and didn't resonate any feelings. It was predictable in parts and inevitable in others. Overall, I'd say a fairly well made film but, one scene aside (thanks KH), a pretty forgettable one. Expand
  14. RyanM.
    Jul 24, 2001
    I was anticipating this movie for a while, hoping it would have a twist at the end that makes it's originality. But though it was original it never possesed any real color or interest, making it hard to like.

In terms of cleverly hidden exposition, this ain't "The Sixth Sense."
  2. Outside of a strong (and largely misused) cast and an abundance of moody atmosphere, there's precious little to recommend this exploitative mess.
  3. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    A solidly crafted, suspensefully written, powerfully acted little juggernaut.