8.0

1. Apr 10, 2012
    Brutal, dark, intense, shocking, interesting, and enjoyable, these are just some of the words I would use to describe this movie, it's fantastic but not in the way you'd expect, honestly after watching this I was pretty surprised at what I just watched, let me just tell you this it's earned it's R rating, and that this is definitely one you don't want to end up in the hands of a kid, theBrutal, dark, intense, shocking, interesting, and enjoyable, these are just some of the words I would use to describe this movie, it's fantastic but not in the way you'd expect, honestly after watching this I was pretty surprised at what I just watched, let me just tell you this it's earned it's R rating, and that this is definitely one you don't want to end up in the hands of a kid, the plot is enjoyable, it has a fantastic soundtrack, and Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara both deliver outstanding and exceptional performances, Rooney Mara's performance as Lisabeth in particular was phenomenal, she made her character come to life and made me want to learn everything about Lisabeth, and I hope they make the sequels just so I can, it's an outstanding, intense, and fantastic movie experience that I highly recommend, just be sure your ready for it first. Expand
  2. Dec 6, 2012
    I loved it! I personally liked it a lot more than the Swedish version (both are brilliant films). A little long. Rooney Mara is brilliant, we'll be hearing about her in the future. The opening credits are super stylish and epic.
  3. Nov 1, 2013
    It’s quite an accomplishment when a fine young actress with lesser known credentials than her A-List co-star, manages to steal the spotlight away in dramatic fashion, Rooney Mara does exactly that to Daniel Craig, this remake of the 2009 Swedish film packs quite the punch in terms of mystery and intrigue, it drew me in with the separate storylines which eventually intertwined, but the leadIt’s quite an accomplishment when a fine young actress with lesser known credentials than her A-List co-star, manages to steal the spotlight away in dramatic fashion, Rooney Mara does exactly that to Daniel Craig, this remake of the 2009 Swedish film packs quite the punch in terms of mystery and intrigue, it drew me in with the separate storylines which eventually intertwined, but the lead performances are the real gold stars of the film. Lisbeth Solander is the girl in question, and what a fascinating specimen this girl is, underneath the gothic clothing, erratic eating and one night stands, Solander has a brilliant mind, but a fragile state is the even ground, we know that she has been raising herself from a young age, she does what she wants and really because she can, dresses as she does probably due to a lack of opinion from others and has taught herself to remain alone and isolated from society, yet when she is faced with a problem she will try her hardest to figure out a way around it, including her appointed guardian (Yorick van Wageningen) abusing her to the point of desperation, she isn’t a girl to be taken lightly, but she finds an unlikely friend in the man she was hired to investigate earlier, Mikael Blomkvist (Craig), who has his own problems. His story picks up surrounding a court battle which he has little chance of coming out on top, he decides to help out an old and tiring millionaire called Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer) who lives on a private island, cut off from the mainland, he hopes journalist Blomkvist will help him try and solve the disappearance and probable death of his niece Harriet 40 years earlier, but when Blomkvist starts to dig, he realises the mess the family is in, relatives not speaking to each other, Nazi beliefs, estranged children and how clues seem to lead back to one or the other, a family matter indeed. The paths of the two leads cross as Blomkvist seeks the help of the young Solander, and their unorthodox relationship ensues.
    The film has much more than what it is at first glance, its a fascinating script with excellent performances being brought to life through the likes of Stellan Skarsgärd and Steven Berkoff, they all have secrets and unknown tales in their secluded island, but they all want to know why now? Why look for clues to the young girl now? Director David Fincher has a talent for making the little details count, the smoking habits, the sexual nature of the characters and the seclusion of it all, he captures the mood of a typically murky and gritty time with a beaten cottage beside a lake with snow falling heavily to the ground, the two leads come from very different lives, yet wind up on the hunt for a potential murderer on a secluded island. Mara holds her own with edgy brilliance and the damaged genius of Solander, Craig is a confident individual passes this to Mikael Blomkvist, a man who had it all but let his status get the better of him, Solander could be the very thing to bring him back down. This is a fascinating thriller that rightfully relies on its characters to spark the mystery of the story, its smart, intriguing and offers a different view in terms of heroic actions from unlikely individuals.
  4. Mar 8, 2014
    Here comes an interesting and engaging thriller that presents itself with all kinds of twists and turns. While it may be to grotesque at times it still engages you as an audience member guessing what's going to happen next. The movie has a great cast led by Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara delivering a true oscar nominated performance. It also looks outstanding with its bleek setting andHere comes an interesting and engaging thriller that presents itself with all kinds of twists and turns. While it may be to grotesque at times it still engages you as an audience member guessing what's going to happen next. The movie has a great cast led by Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara delivering a true oscar nominated performance. It also looks outstanding with its bleek setting and tremendous cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth. Overall, it's an outstanding fast-paced thriller filled with twists and turns. I give it an A! Expand
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    This film is a masterpiece. I've seen the Swedish one I think) and I have to say that the american is much better. The actors are fascinating. Daniel Craig, which is not one of my favorite actors impressed me and Rooney Mara was beyond excellence. The plot though it is based on a book is smart and it has suspense through the whole movie. I can't wait to see the next one. Plus, DavidThis film is a masterpiece. I've seen the Swedish one I think) and I have to say that the american is much better. The actors are fascinating. Daniel Craig, which is not one of my favorite actors impressed me and Rooney Mara was beyond excellence. The plot though it is based on a book is smart and it has suspense through the whole movie. I can't wait to see the next one. Plus, David Fincher did a great job in this one. A must-watch Expand
  6. Apr 24, 2015
    The dark seeps out of the screen like living thing, evidence that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is more than a paycheck to director David Fincher, who has improbably affixed his own imprint on a movie that comes weighted down with possibilities and expectations no filmmaker should have to contend with. Aided by a tightly-wrapped screenplay adapted from Stieg Larsson's global best-sellerThe dark seeps out of the screen like living thing, evidence that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is more than a paycheck to director David Fincher, who has improbably affixed his own imprint on a movie that comes weighted down with possibilities and expectations no filmmaker should have to contend with. Aided by a tightly-wrapped screenplay adapted from Stieg Larsson's global best-seller by Steven Zaillian, Fincher strips the material to its skeleton, then adds back the sinew and tissue to create something that is unmistakably The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but in no way a carbon copy of the earlier Swedish movie or the book itself. This is what a movie adaptation should be: a film whose base narrative has its roots in the source material but whose soul can be identified through the images that unfold on screen.

When, in early 2010, Columbia Pictures announced their intention to film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the question that crossed many lips was, "Why?" After all, there was already a very good adaptation available, a 2009 Swedish production directed by Niels Arden Oplev with a star-making turn from Noomi Rapace. The intention to "remake" The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in English with an A-list star smacked of a cash-grab. Whatever the motivations, however, this interpretation of Larsson's story can stand proudly alongside the Swedish version. Both tell the same basic story, but there are enough differences - some subtle, some significant - that each can be enjoyed on its own terms. And, although Oplev will always have the distinction of being first, the strengths of Fincher's film reminds us that first is not always best.

Two key elements differentiate Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from Oplev's (and please don't misread this in any way as a denunciation of the Swedish interpretation, which was one of my top films of 2010). The first is the aesthetic. Filmed with a bigger budget and an auteur behind the camera, the 2011 movie is steeped in bleak, cold darkness. Everything, from the wintery setting to the gloomy interiors to the way scenes are photographed, enhances this aspect. Oplev's approach was more straightforward and not as assured. The second is the way the characters are represented. Fincher softens the edges and presents us with more emotionally complex individuals. Oplev emphasizes individual characteristics. Some of the characters in the 2009 movie are little more than caricatures (the vile and sadistic Bjurman being an example), but Fincher quests for ambiguity.

Zaillian's screenplay does a better job than the one penned by Nikolaj Arcel & Rasmus Heisterberg in distilling Larssson's convoluted story into something movie audiences can absorb without a primer. In fairness to the writers of the Swedish version, their 180-minute original lost 28 minutes in the transition from TV mini-series to motion picture, and that's part of the reason for its occasionally erratic tone and discontinuities. Still, Zaillian has surgically altered Larsson's book for the screen by cutting, adding, and changing where necessary. The final result is a coherent, well-developed murder mystery that is neither rushed nor sluggish. It also keeps us waiting for a while for the two main characters to meet - that doesn't happen until the one-hour mark. Until that point, their stories are kept separate to better clarify their places in the overall narrative and to provide a stronger sense of who they are as individuals (rather than as a pair). Once they meet, they get to share the screen often enough to generate a peculiar frisson.

Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo also manages to make Mikael into more than a nondescript detective and straight man for Lisbeth's weird brilliance. (In this milieu, she's Holmes to his Watson.) Craig, aided by the screenplay, fleshes out Mikael. He is never as captivating as Lisbeth, but neither does he vanish into her shadow. The quasi-romantic relationship that develops between the two is more intriguing than the more traditional one in the Swedish movie. Here, their emotional investment is unequal, with Mikael viewing it as casual while Lisbeth, for perhaps the first time in her life, has discovered feelings between the sheets (or, more appropriately, on top of them).

Personally, I would love to see what this creative team could do with those books (which are inferior to the first one). Regardless of what happens in the future, however, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo can stand on its own as Fincher's valentine to goth girl power, detective stories, and the grotesqueness of the human heart.
  7. Apr 15, 2012
    Fincher is once again brilliant and his films still remain an event. Rooney mara's performance also is on the line of perfection. I am excited for his next film.
  8. Feb 11, 2012
    David Fincher did his lurid best. See this English adaptation with fresh look. Rooney Mara's Lisbeth Salander is different with Noomi Rapace's. And also the movie, although a drawback but it's different air. Not Fincher's best work but it also great in every level.
  9. Feb 26, 2012
    David Fincher definitely kept his charm on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo . Its an amazing mystery film that I was waiting so long. Amazing screenplay and amazing directing . Daniel Craig was really good at his role . Rooney Mara definitely pulled off her emo look and her acting was her best (undoubtedly ). Filming location was in one word AMAZING . It was perfect for the film . It wasDavid Fincher definitely kept his charm on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo . Its an amazing mystery film that I was waiting so long. Amazing screenplay and amazing directing . Daniel Craig was really good at his role . Rooney Mara definitely pulled off her emo look and her acting was her best (undoubtedly ). Filming location was in one word AMAZING . It was perfect for the film . It was Snowy , Dark , Cold , The three best weather for an amazing mystery .
    So much looking forward to see a Sequel . Sony said they will be filmed back to back and I wish they would release those the same way.
  10. Jan 28, 2012
    De la part de David Fincher, réalisateur de Se7en, j'en attendais beaucoup de ce remake américain et seconde adaptation de l'oeuvre de Stieg Larsson, à commencer par un travail soigné au niveau de l'atmosphère. L'envie de voir un véritable chef-d'oeuvre qui s'est confirmée dès le (sublime)De la part de David Fincher, réalisateur de Se7en, j'en attendais beaucoup de ce remake américain et seconde adaptation de l'oeuvre de Stieg Larsson, à commencer par un travail soigné au niveau de l'atmosphère. L'envie de voir un véritable chef-d'oeuvre qui s'est confirmée dès le (sublime) générique de début, ce dernier nous mettant immédiatement dans l'ambiance. D'accord, il n'y a pas trop de prises de risques, du fait que l'ensemble reste fidèle à l'esprit du livre. Mais ce remake se montre bien plus imposant que son prédécesseur suédo-danois. Il faut dire que le casting est de qualité, au point qu'on laisse de côté les acteurs originaux (Rooney Mara remplaçant sans mal la pourtant excellente Noomi Rapace); que l'ambiance du film est au-delà de mes espérances car étant prenante, dérangeante et palpitante (grâce aux effets sonores et à la BO); que le scénario est légèrement différent (question détails); et que l'on ne s'ennuit pas une seule seconde pendant 2h38. Bref, une réussite! Expand
  11. Jan 12, 2012
    Stylish, Intense and interesting. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an excellent film made by very talented film makers. Although there were a few things that were missing from the original, I found this version more enjoyable and entertaining and many important aspects of the film were explored deeper. The central character of Lisbeth is a fleshed out more and I felt I got to know theStylish, Intense and interesting. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an excellent film made by very talented film makers. Although there were a few things that were missing from the original, I found this version more enjoyable and entertaining and many important aspects of the film were explored deeper. The central character of Lisbeth is a fleshed out more and I felt I got to know the character better. The pay off to the intense scenes are also more rewarding. Perhaps the movie went 15minutes too long but it didn't worry me too much as I enjoyed the character so much. Be prepared for some intense graphic scenes but there is a point to it all. Recommended. Expand
  12. Jul 30, 2012
    A remake done really well that complies with the plot and understand when it is terrible violence suffered by women and when they are horrible people who violate them. Excellent photography and the dark atmosphere and dramatic film, fantastic actors especially that of Rooney Mara, who has managed to give us a wonderful interpretation of Lisbeth.
  13. Jan 5, 2012
    Slick... Stylish... Smart... Sexy... Scary... Not for the faint of heart or the prude. I like a good mystery especially one that keeps you guessing but it should have come with cliff notes because it was too hard to follow. Secondly, It really would have been a better film if it were shorter. The climax was suppressed because they tacked-on an extra storyline to the last twenty minutes.Slick... Stylish... Smart... Sexy... Scary... Not for the faint of heart or the prude. I like a good mystery especially one that keeps you guessing but it should have come with cliff notes because it was too hard to follow. Secondly, It really would have been a better film if it were shorter. The climax was suppressed because they tacked-on an extra storyline to the last twenty minutes. Finally, "Q" would approve of all the "gratuitous sex and violence", (or in this case "sexual violence"). Unless you are a hardened masochist you WILL be shocked and offended. I had better not see anyone taking their minor children into this one. All that said... I thought it was a pretty great adult film. Expand
  14. Dec 21, 2011
    David Fincher's take on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a bleak, gruesome, and some times hard to watch film, yet its amazing style and intriguing story keep the audience captivated. We don't want to watch, but we can't look away because Fincher doesn't hold back and because every moment Rooney Mara's Lisbeth is on screen she commands attention. She gives perhaps the best performanceDavid Fincher's take on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a bleak, gruesome, and some times hard to watch film, yet its amazing style and intriguing story keep the audience captivated. We don't want to watch, but we can't look away because Fincher doesn't hold back and because every moment Rooney Mara's Lisbeth is on screen she commands attention. She gives perhaps the best performance of the year and even tops Noomi Rapace's amazing portrayal of the same character in the Swedish version. It seems many critics have decided to diss this movie on the only basis that it came out so soon after the Swedish version. These critics/people are trolls and should be ignored. Remakes and alternate adaptations should be able to stand apart and be judged on their worth rather than on their predecessors. All in all Fincher's version is on par with the Swedish adaptation, though I felt the longer drawn out ending in the American film was inferior to Niels Arden Oplev's ending version. Expand
  15. Feb 15, 2012
    I have to stay really honest here, and I must say that I haven't seen a better movie in past, well, year and a half, maybe. I'm so captivated by it, and I still think about the movie's plot and the characters, who did an amazing job, especially Rooney Mara. I haven't seen the Swedish version yet ( the original - always the best ) but this movie is quite perfect. I usually oversleep movies,I have to stay really honest here, and I must say that I haven't seen a better movie in past, well, year and a half, maybe. I'm so captivated by it, and I still think about the movie's plot and the characters, who did an amazing job, especially Rooney Mara. I haven't seen the Swedish version yet ( the original - always the best ) but this movie is quite perfect. I usually oversleep movies, but dude, was I awake. It kept my attention till the end. I highly recommend this movie. Expand
  16. Mar 7, 2012
    I am going to go out on a limb and say this but "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was the best film in 2011. Daniel Craig showed us a role that he proved that he could play well and the newly talented Rooney Mara was the best part of it. There are movies where you can tell whether or not they put a lot of effort into it and this proves that they did. The story line was phenomenal, theI am going to go out on a limb and say this but "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was the best film in 2011. Daniel Craig showed us a role that he proved that he could play well and the newly talented Rooney Mara was the best part of it. There are movies where you can tell whether or not they put a lot of effort into it and this proves that they did. The story line was phenomenal, the actors were great, the cinematography really shined and the original score behind it was also as great. In my opinion the best part of the film was the Female Lead, Rooney Mara, who plays Lisbeth Salander in the film and plays it with a passion like no other. Pick it up on DVD on March 20. Expand
  17. Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks to David Fincher, the world now has Rooney Mara to admire (and stare at). She plays the Goth misfit Lisbeth in this film, her first lead role, and she’s actually pretty good. She does revenge particularly well. A fierce character, while not dominating every scene, Rooney dominates the film. She is the one we think a hour later.
    I will not try and compare her performance with Noomi
    I will not try and compare her performance with Noomi Repace's, whom I also love to watch. Both do Lisbeth their
    own way.

When Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) gets into some political hot water and needs to get out of Stockholm, he takes a job as an investigator in the Swedish countryside trying to solve the mystery of a disappeared girl, but there are people that do not want him to to find the answers. Eventually he teams up with Lisbeth and they work on the case together.

In the first part of the film, the intersecting story lines between the two main characters are done with skill. Many scenes are not action or dialogue based, yet all they all add to the story. The decision to film this version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in Sweden, as opposed to swapping it out for some American city, was a well made one.

Since so much of the story is told in images, kudos goes to the editors Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall. Both are long time collaborators of Fincher, and they’ve both won multiple Oscars, including one for this film. I get the suspicion that they worked extra overtime on this movie; there are just tons and tons of scenes, a complete 180 from the style of Panic Room.

The chemistry between Rooney and Craig really builds throughout the film as the two work great together. The irregularity of the pairing makes it much more interesting and intriguing to follow than most typical, on-screen romances.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is not the most depressing of all Fincher productions, but it’s still pretty low down there, and I mean this in the best way possible. It’s either always raining or cold outside while sometimes this envorinment is contrasted against interior scenes that are pristine, white, clean. Tension. Clean rooms don't seem to apear often in Fincher films, and as expected there are many others that are dark and dirty.

The film ends in a reasonably satisfying way leaving us hanging, waiting for the sequel.

Errata: I could have gone without the final Stockholm scene when Lisbeth is riding her motorbike through the streets as it snows. A similar situation occurred in The Wolverine (2013) where Logan rode a motorbike through the mountains in Japanese winter. These situations would never occur. Motorbikes and snow are never a very convincing combination (for me anyway).
  18. Jul 3, 2012
    Rooney Mara nails Lisbeth Sandler's character, even better than Noomi Rapace. Daniel Craig also does a good job playing what he does best, an FBI agent. It's long because it is one of the few movies faithful to a book and can actually bring the emotion of it. From 2012's adapted screenplays, you won't be able to find one as faithful as this one and The Hunger Games, thanks to great actingRooney Mara nails Lisbeth Sandler's character, even better than Noomi Rapace. Daniel Craig also does a good job playing what he does best, an FBI agent. It's long because it is one of the few movies faithful to a book and can actually bring the emotion of it. From 2012's adapted screenplays, you won't be able to find one as faithful as this one and The Hunger Games, thanks to great acting and character relevance, as well as nice elaborate action sequences. Expand
  19. Dec 25, 2011
    Excellent. Engaging for the whole time. I'm thinking Brendan shouldn't go to anymore movies... just in case they might be a remake; it is obvious he didn't judge this movie on it merits. Though it is a long movie, it keep me wondering what was going to happen next, and I wasn't bored (and I don't like movies over 2 hours, just too self-indulgent by the director usually) but this oneExcellent. Engaging for the whole time. I'm thinking Brendan shouldn't go to anymore movies... just in case they might be a remake; it is obvious he didn't judge this movie on it merits. Though it is a long movie, it keep me wondering what was going to happen next, and I wasn't bored (and I don't like movies over 2 hours, just too self-indulgent by the director usually) but this one succeeds where other directors and editors lose their way. Expand
  20. Jan 7, 2012
    Excellent drama and suspense in this film all the way through. There were some unnecessary scenes that were a little over the top for my taste but overall a very enjoyable film.
  21. Jan 29, 2012
    Millenium trilogy? What's that? I haven't read Larsson's books, I haven't seen the previous movies. Probably that's why I'm able to give this movie a sound 9. I don't care if this is a good adaptation of Larsson's book. What I can say is that I was simply captivated by this movie for 2,5 hours. The plot is good, makes you wonder, fear, doubt, and shock all the time. The gloomy atmosphereMillenium trilogy? What's that? I haven't read Larsson's books, I haven't seen the previous movies. Probably that's why I'm able to give this movie a sound 9. I don't care if this is a good adaptation of Larsson's book. What I can say is that I was simply captivated by this movie for 2,5 hours. The plot is good, makes you wonder, fear, doubt, and shock all the time. The gloomy atmosphere of a Northern Swedish town with a lingering mystery that surrounds the Vangners' possession is overwhelming and well presented. Trent Reznor's music is just great in stressing the hideous danger that creeps literally out of everything: iMacs, forests, photographs, neat Swedish homes etc. The acting of Craig is good (and just that), while the critic appraisals for Mara's performance are justified -- she is truly mesmerizing as Lisbeth Salander, and her acting, in which she speaks more with her eyes than actually words, is fantastic. The director of photography and the editing team did also a great job: fast-changing scenes truly capture all the necessary elements, gestures, and moments. What are you waiting for? Go watch it! Expand
  22. Dec 20, 2011
    David Fincher returns to his roots and directs a near perfect neo-noir pyschological thriller. Rooney Mara also returns from her minor role in The Social Network and proves that she is more than capable of becoming an A-list actor. If the film only focused more on Lisbeth's dark past rather than glossing over it, the film would be perfect.
  23. Feb 2, 2012
    In my oppinion in this year it is one of the best films and I like it ! I think that it can take an Oscar like a best film of the year but , it can't ...
  24. Dec 29, 2011
    Great movie! Full of action, drama, and suspense. Another amazing movie by David Fincher! This movie was just a joy to watch the entire time. Can't wait for the next installment!
  25. Mar 29, 2012
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo es la mejor pelicula que he visto desde hace mas de un año. La actuacion de Rooney Mara es perfecta y magistral. Daniel Craig nos da otra solida demostracion de su talento y es aun mejor que la version sueca. Me encanto y aunque dura casi 3 horas me parecio intrigante y inteligente.
  26. Dec 21, 2011
    Following the very successful adaptation of Stieg Larssons millennium trilogy into three very successful Swedish language films, it came as no surprise when Hollywood announced that it would be making an English-language version of the series. Director David Fincher was announced to craft the first book in the series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The new version follows very close toFollowing the very successful adaptation of Stieg Larssons millennium trilogy into three very successful Swedish language films, it came as no surprise when Hollywood announced that it would be making an English-language version of the series. Director David Fincher was announced to craft the first book in the series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The new version follows very close to the original material with one fairly big exception which I will detail later in the review. Daniel Craig stars as Mikael Blomkvist, who at the opening of the film has recently lost a court case for which he was being sued for libel by a prominent business figure. His career is in ruins and virtually all of his savings gone as a result of the trial and punitive damages. So when he is contacted by an attorney representing the wealthy and powerful Vanger family, he agrees to meet. Although highly reluctant to take a meeting, Mikael takes the four hour train ride north of Stockholm to a cold and remote island to meet with Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer). Henrik wishes Mikael to investigate the disappearance of his niece some 40 years earlier, a niece vanished under the familiesâ Expand
  27. Jan 21, 2012
    I'm one of those snobs who feels like the original Swedish version was a little better. The first half of this version felt rushed while the latter half seemed extended--drawn out for every minute it was worth. I did think the casting was superb and was glad they didn't water down the sensitive parts for the American audience. All in all a solid effort.
  28. Dec 22, 2011
    This movie is a solid 10. They made some changes from the book of the same name. It's hard to say it's better than the book but I can say it's an upgrade over the Swedish film adaptation. Rooney Mara is perfect as Lisbeth and Daniel Craig gives the best performance of his career as Mikael. David Fincher did an amazing job directing as was expected. There's chilling and intense moments asThis movie is a solid 10. They made some changes from the book of the same name. It's hard to say it's better than the book but I can say it's an upgrade over the Swedish film adaptation. Rooney Mara is perfect as Lisbeth and Daniel Craig gives the best performance of his career as Mikael. David Fincher did an amazing job directing as was expected. There's chilling and intense moments as well as endearing ones. It's all highly effective. Truly brilliant. Expand
  29. Dec 23, 2011
    I've read the books and seen the original Swedish movies - I'm a fan. This was very well made, engrossing, enjoyable and well worth the time spent. The fact that I knew the plot and had seen the prior film did not diminish the experience - it was intriguing to see what another director would do with the book, and he did a great job. Go see it - you won't be disappointed (as opposed to theI've read the books and seen the original Swedish movies - I'm a fan. This was very well made, engrossing, enjoyable and well worth the time spent. The fact that I knew the plot and had seen the prior film did not diminish the experience - it was intriguing to see what another director would do with the book, and he did a great job. Go see it - you won't be disappointed (as opposed to the Mission Impossible film, by the way, which was ridiculously bad. Just had to put that negative plug in there). Expand
  30. Jan 14, 2012
    Woefully miscast, Daniel Craig is way too cool and confident for the character part and is one of the main negatives. The other is that the movie attempts to differentiate itself from the original mainly with a faster pace .. which is the general reason US movies suck when compared to European counterparts.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Dec 22, 2011
    Has much to recommend it - high-end craftsmanship, a singular heroine, a labyrinthine mystery, an intriguing milieu - yet lacks a vital spark.
    David Fincher's American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo adds nothing to the previous adaptation, but it's certainly the more evocative piece of filmmaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Dec 22, 2011
    From him (Fincher), we get – what? – a faithful adaptation that brings the dazzle but shortchanges on the daring.